PDA

View Full Version : How do all of you sleep?

MESeele
Nov 1, 2011, 07:06 AM
And I don't mean "1) Become horizontal 2) close eyes 3) sleep" or the like. I mean when you're lying there awake staring at the ceiling for hours on end, or rolling around - tossing and turning from side to side in a vain attempt to placate your distraught and uncooperative body. When your mind simply won't empty and let go.

So I ask, do any of you have particular things you do to help the process? Do you count sheep? Meditate? Do you picture clouds slowly moving across the horizon? The gentle ebb and flow of a tide? Do you try to create a void that sucks in all thought? Do you leave the tv on, or music for background noise. Do you resort to drugs - of the knockout variety, or do you start popping the melatonin from a PEZ dispenser?

I obviously do not sleep much. I'm sure many of you share this same irritation. I originally wanted to ask this in an attempt to find something that would help me out. However, upon writing this, I now want to ask out of simple curiousity. What have you guys tried when you simply won't fall asleep? What works for you? What doesn't?

Nitro Vordex
Nov 1, 2011, 07:13 AM
I've gone to sleep by not thinking about sleeping. You keep thinking about it, it gets that much harder. As for falling asleep when I want to, often I either think of stories in my head or just have idle thoughts and relax.

Also, if you lay in bed for an hour or more and you aren't asleep, chances are you ain't sleepin' anytime soon. You could remedy this by reading a book for a while, or, if you're not one of those people who reads books (teenagers), do something not strenuous or that requires any kind of monitor.

Jazz is usually good for me to doze off to. Then again, I doze off with metal rock playing in my ear, so I'm probably a weird exception to this.

Also, something else that I found annoying, is that I can't sleep unless there's a fan on or AC or something of the nature. Otherwise I find it too quiet and I go nuts trying to sleep.

Retehi
Nov 1, 2011, 07:22 AM
I can't sleep right now, so that's a good question.

Also the issue is I never remember if I did anything specific to fall asleep, it just happens if I need it to. It's a real finicky thing for me. =/

Ark22
Nov 1, 2011, 07:37 AM
I fall asleep from watching TV. Mostly wake up vertically, face toward the ceiling.

Zarode
Nov 1, 2011, 07:41 AM
I need blank sound to fall asleep. TV, movie on my computer. Anything. And I'm out. If I wake up? I just turn it back on.

MESeele
Nov 1, 2011, 08:12 AM
You'd figure that silence would be beneficial for sleep, but it seems like the mind finds it uncomfortable... and decides to fill it with the relentless roar of thoughts. Of all things, who knew thinking would become such a formidable foe.

Yeah, I like background noise too, but I need to find out how to equalize the volume. There's always that one song that's about 300% volume by comparison. I don't have a tv to use for static. Kinda weird, but I can sleep anywhere else, be it a couch or the floor. Anywhere but the designated sleep zone - the bed. Rebel minds abound. Never tried jazz before, I'll have to give that a shot.

EDIT: They should make a song that consists of static. Make it 5-10 minutes long and throw it on a loop.

Zarode
Nov 1, 2011, 09:39 AM
Honest truth, the Asians were masters of sound sleep. Find a small waterfall tower at like, Target or something. At most, forty USD. You can probably find one cheaper than that. The soothing sound of water flowing helps a lot of people sleep.

Akaimizu
Nov 1, 2011, 09:46 AM
Ending maybe a few months ago, I had growing issues with sleep over a couple of years. I couldn't sleep much, and if I did, it would be for a short time. It seemed I had to be incredibly sleepy before I could even get to sleep. I think I was going through something, though. It didn't feel natural and it didn't seem like any remedy could help me sleep better. Fast forward to today, and I'm sleeping a lot better.

As for just general sleep practice, I'm a big fan of Fans. I don't quite like dead silence unless my body is already in a state of "If I hit a prone position, I'm out like a light". A fan is a controlled repeated soft sound that doesn't have much activity in it. I don't like to use TV or music as much because it stimulates my brain too much. There are certain songs that are really lethargic and do help. Mostly blanket chord music that aren't loud, without a fast moving melody will do. ("In the Light of the Holy Flame" from Panzer Dragon Saga is a good example.)

Still, it's about fans for me. Those help put me to sleep. Another thing that works for me is to keep the room cool. (not a problem these days). Not freezing mind you, but if the room is too toasty it affects my ability to sleep as I personally sleep better when it feels I should sleep with a blanket on.

BIG OLAF
Nov 1, 2011, 10:41 AM
Takes me anywhere between 10-30 minutes to fall asleep. When I was a kid, though, it would take me at least an hour, due to my extreme fear of "monsters" looking at me through the window.

Also, I use Melatonin supplements at night. Works good, but better for some than others.

NoiseHERO
Nov 1, 2011, 10:48 AM
I sleep on an old raggedy beat down sofa in the corner of my living room like any other starving artist/future rockstar.

Scejntjynahl
Nov 1, 2011, 11:10 AM
Play a game your really good at and zone out. Before you know it youll be like in the old pso days running agains the wall.

Split
Nov 1, 2011, 12:12 PM
Ummm...alcohol. :razz:

darkante
Nov 1, 2011, 01:32 PM
I prefer it pitch black and soundless.
Small fans are ok and cats are something i canīt silence. DX

When íīm trying to sleep though, i try not to think at all.

Although, i gotta love waking up freezing in the morning.

Neith
Nov 1, 2011, 02:17 PM
If I can't sleep, one thing works everytime for me. I put the 'Morning View' album by Incubus on. The album's so relaxing for me that it does help me drift off.

Aside from that, I just try and think of something that isn't 'I can't sleep'. The album works wonders for me though :wacko:

blace
Nov 1, 2011, 03:02 PM
My methods usually involve thinking about past novels I've read or zoning out when I play my PSP. Sometimes I would have my phone run a song on repeat for a while until I fall asleep, and the songs I use are either this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAx04AZdZyM&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Or:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNfGBGNGYxE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

The resounding strikes from the piano makes it a bit difficult to sleep to, but it has worked for me on occasion.

chibiLegolas
Nov 1, 2011, 04:32 PM
I try and recall what I've learned from yoga classes from high school.
There was this one position called the deadman's rest (?). Where you'd have to lay on your back. Arms out slightly more than shoulder width. Palms up.
Have calm music in background to help control your breathing.
As time goes on, your breathing slows down. And every time you exhale, you let go of your worries & just concentrate on a focus. (like a void as you've said).
This usually works for me.

Outrider
Nov 1, 2011, 04:36 PM
I work and work until I'm about to pass out and then I slump into my bed and am asleep within minutes.

I've been like this for about a year now and it's kind of slowly killing me, but on the plus side you don't really have to worry about insomnia anymore!

I do like putting on some music in the background when I'm actually awake enough to enjoy it when I climb into bed. Generally it's something relaxing or a "comfort" album. (Y'know what I mean; one of those albums you've had for years that you can listen to over and over again? That kind of album.)

The stereo I had in high school was great for this, since it had a sleep timer on it. That way it would actually turn itself off when I fell asleep. Nowadays I don't have a stereo in my bedroom, so I wind up playing music from my phone, which is pretty lame.

FOkyasuta
Nov 1, 2011, 05:40 PM
Cover your self in blankets & Covers. (It may seem hot but to some people, But some cant sleep without it.)

Think of dream topics. (It works once you get the hang of it.)

Music. (Like everyone says, it works like a charm. Only problem is you need to find the Genre that actually makes you fall asleep.)

Count things with your eyes shut. (Dunno if this works actually but its worth a shot right?

Bleed your eyes out with bright light. (Sometimes it doesnt work and the other half it does. Like your computer monitor? Set it high and close your eyes. Feel that? Now do it again only this time, in bed.)

And last but not least,

If all else fails, Drink hot milk. (Theres just something in it that just makes you feel nice and good for a nap. Somehow.)

Sinue_v2
Nov 1, 2011, 07:01 PM
Usually, a couple shots of whiskey will do the trick.

Otherwise, if I just can't get to sleep, there's some techniques used to elicit lucid dreams that I use wherein you don't have to lose consciousness in order to fall asleep. These help sometimes if what's keeping me from going to sleep is mental rather than physiological. The only problem is that I might have to do this two or three times, since at the moment of transition as you fall asleep I sometimes get the sensation of free falling through my bed into a void which causes a "hypnic jerk" that startles me back awake.

MESeele
Nov 1, 2011, 07:33 PM
Otherwise, if I just can't get to sleep, there's some techniques used to elicit lucid dreams that I use wherein you don't have to lose consciousness in order to fall asleep.

Interesting. Which particular techniques do you make use of? I only know of the 'focus on an empty picture frame, picture yourself entering it' one.

Powder Keg
Nov 1, 2011, 07:55 PM
Watching TV
Playing a game I'm familiar with (this one is almost instant)
When my body doesn't feel like functioning from tiredness

I will never try to sleep or try things when my body or mind isn't tired....that just makes things worse. You have to do something relaxing and let your mind wander.

Sinue_v2
Nov 1, 2011, 08:03 PM
Interesting. Which particular techniques do you make use of? I only know of the 'focus on an empty picture frame, picture yourself entering it' one.

Usually I'll use a method of guided meditation and WILD (wake induced lucid dreaming), focusing on my some part of body (usually my gut/stomach area) and imagine the feeling of relaxation, of the tension melting away, as the sensation spreads throughout my extremities and back again - especially the major joints and digits. Continue this for about 10~20 minutes or so until a sort of faux sleep paralysis sets in. That should help clear out the stray thoughts and tensions which are the biggest barrier to sleeping. From there I'll focus on visualizing a person or an object intently, like daydreaming, until it comes into sharp relief. The rest of the scenery will eventually flow out from there (unless the falling sensation wakes me up) and fill in my perceptions. Try not to get distracted by those too much and just keep your attention on the object you're imagining. It's not until I can get sensory feedback from the environment (feeling the wind, warmth of the sun, the sound of a fire crackling) that I take my focus off the object and start interacting with the dream environment.

Alternately, if you have music playing in the background or a soundtrack of background noise (fireplace, stream, insects, birds chirping, etc) - these often get incorporated into the scenery you find yourself in, and you can focus on that instead of a visual object once you're in the dream state. It's rare for me to be able to keep my conscious awareness once in a dream state, so after a short period of interaction, I tend to melt away into the dream and then it's sleep as usual.

Also, be aware that if you explore Lucid Dreaming, you may be more susceptible to sleep paralysis. It can be extremely frighting if you're not familiar with it, but it's perfectly normal. Your body does this naturally by restricting the production of certain neurotransmitters called monoamines, which in effect blocks the transmission of signals responsible for motor control. This is what keeps you from acting out your dreams during REM sleep. (The opposite of this condition can cause sleepwalking and night terrors) It's just that you're not usually aware of it happening. If you experience it, don't freak out and try to just enjoy the sensation. It'll wear off after a while, or you might just want to go back to sleep and it will be gone when you wake up again.

Keilyn
Nov 1, 2011, 09:37 PM
I use "Suicide Blasts" and "Regeneration Stasis" when it comes to sleep. Also maintain full alignment in Encapsulated Sleep at an Angle. Of course when its sleeping with my girlfriend, its different. We try to retain alignment of the head/neck otherwise you won't enter REM sleep and will have it disrupted.

"Suicide Blasting" works as long as you don't hurt yourself doing it. Regen Stasis should only be used on a body with almost no energy or wounded, hurts the body if you have a lot of energy or no wounds. Encapsulated Sleep is a good all-round way to go, because its methods are safe but requires setting up to sleep.

...Specially if you Throw-Wrap yourself before sleeping like I do.

^_^

Split
Nov 1, 2011, 10:02 PM
I use "Suicide Blasts" and "Regeneration Stasis" when it comes to sleep. Also maintain full alignment in Encapsulated Sleep at an Angle. Of course when its sleeping with my girlfriend, its different. We try to retain alignment of the head/neck otherwise you won't enter REM sleep and will have it disrupted.What in god's name are "Suicide Blasts" and "Regeneration Stasis??" According to the internet, they aren't things. They sound like moves in a JRPG or something...

Retehi
Nov 1, 2011, 10:44 PM
What in god's name are "Suicide Blasts" and "Regeneration Stasis??" According to the internet, they aren't things. They sound like moves in a JRPG or something...

I think he/she is a Borg or something.

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/bonus_fc/drones/borg-in-alcove.jpg

Keely
Nov 2, 2011, 12:58 AM
I try to clear my mind by focusing on my breathing when my thoughts are keeping me awake. I just try to feel the air entering and leaving my body. I usually mess up by thinking about breathing instead of feeling it but when I am motivated, I try again. It probably requires practice.

Also, I read you could run cold water over your wrists for a minute and then lie down and put your hands under your armpits.

Gunslinger-08
Nov 2, 2011, 01:13 AM
Having a source of white noise like a fan works wonders for me, and it helps me from getting too warm, which keeps me from falling asleep as well.

Nitro Vordex
Nov 2, 2011, 03:54 AM
Usually I'll use a method of guided meditation and WILD (wake induced lucid dreaming), focusing on my some part of body (usually my gut/stomach area) and imagine the feeling of relaxation, of the tension melting away, as the sensation spreads throughout my extremities and back again - especially the major joints and digits. Continue this for about 10~20 minutes or so until a sort of faux sleep paralysis sets in. That should help clear out the stray thoughts and tensions which are the biggest barrier to sleeping. From there I'll focus on visualizing a person or an object intently, like daydreaming, until it comes into sharp relief. The rest of the scenery will eventually flow out from there (unless the falling sensation wakes me up) and fill in my perceptions. Try not to get distracted by those too much and just keep your attention on the object you're imagining. It's not until I can get sensory feedback from the environment (feeling the wind, warmth of the sun, the sound of a fire crackling) that I take my focus off the object and start interacting with the dream environment.
I've been trying to work with lucid dreaming, as dreams are something that greatly interests me. There was a few ways that I learned to realize I was dreaming.

If I was wearing a watch, I would tell myself, before going to sleep, "A watch in a dream will not show the same time twice." A lot of the time, this held quite true, and would have me realizing I'm in a dream. Sometimes, my brain would think it's slick and show me the same time; however, the simple act of just checking the watch twice and thinking it won't show me the same time gave me lucidity, because why the hell would I need to try that in real life?
Another method I learned was a relatively simple one that I would practice before I would turn off the lights. I would look at my hand, curl it into a fist, and as I was doing this, would say, "I will look at my hand and curl it into a fist, and realize I'm dreaming." I would repeat this three times before laying down, and then keep the idea fresh in my mind. This actually helped me quite a bit in scary dreams or nightmares. I remember having a dream where I was being chased by zombie dog/wolf things outside my own house, and was incredibly terrified. I happened to stop running and looked at my hand, which was in a fist. I had a flash of light go across my vision and then my eyes refocused. I turned to the dogs and began fighting them with my bare hands, and flying through the streets.

Lucid dreaming has become a common occurrence for me now, and I'm able to hold on to it quite well, for the most part.

Katrina
Nov 2, 2011, 07:48 AM
I can't sleep if it's too quiet. Usually the noise of the water flowing in my fish tank is enough to get me into a sound sleep. Sometimes the TV on low, or the fan blowing in the computer is enough to get me to sleep if I'm restless.

Rashiid
Nov 2, 2011, 08:35 AM
Music. Lots of music. Any kind of music. Just music. If it's completely silent, I'll never fall asleep. Too much going on in my head.

Scejntjynahl
Nov 2, 2011, 10:48 AM
Get into a bar fight and get knocked out silly. Best goodnights rest ever.

darkante
Nov 2, 2011, 01:00 PM
Thatīs sounds like a pro tip right there.

Noblewine
Nov 2, 2011, 01:26 PM
I bore myself to sleep by reading or playing a game.