PDA

View Full Version : ridiculous ports/remakes and games you wish for

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Nov 15, 2011, 04:42 PM
so to be clear, when i say ridiculous, i don't just mean crazy games, i mean ideas that some people have but will almost certainly never be games even if they are reasonable. and ridiculous ports/remakes are pretty self explanatory.

here's mine
ports/remakes:
- a graphically dumbed down Skyrim for the 3DS
- Majora's Mask HD with a total graphical over haul not just new textures for Wii U
- Any of the old 2D zeldas made into modern HD polygonal Zeldas
- *cough* Final Fantasy 7 HD *cough*

Games:
- A behind view polygonal pokemon game with a real time battle system where you walk around as the trainer and set your pokemon's attacks to four buttons and have a basic infinite PP attack and a jump button.

Mr. Mid-Boss
Nov 15, 2011, 04:57 PM
A sequel to Tomba!, preferably more along the lines of the first one but I personally wouldn't object to some elements of the second.
Sadly impossible as the company that made it is dead, but such a game would exist in a perfect world.

...I wouldn't mind a Link to the Past remake either, though, now that you mention it. Though I'd prefer a Final Fantasy 9 HD over 7, even if the latter would be infinitely more likely.

Scejntjynahl
Nov 15, 2011, 05:13 PM
An actual good game to replace "The other M(ediocre)" with a look back to its roots of getting lost searching the environment, with over the shoulder look, and bring back Samus to her bad ass self instead of eye candy.

Mantiskilla
Nov 15, 2011, 05:21 PM
*cough* Final Fantasy 7 HD *cough*

Nah it was groundbreaking enough w/o a remake. Keep it a classic IMO.

Only one for me would be a Megaman Powered Up 2. Remake angle is getting kinda stale for me tastes right now

Sinue_v2
Nov 15, 2011, 07:04 PM
A full 3D free-roaming Quest for Glory 1~5 remake using an engine similar to Oblivion/Skyrim. It's almost eerie how easily the game would be able to port over without losing it's own unique identity, with perhaps the hardest part to translate being the scripted scenes and a few of the more unique interface options. To me, that's either an indication of how far ahead of it's time QFG was, or how behind the times current RPGs are.

But being older games, they're quite a bit shorter from start to finish that we're typically used to now. They'd have to be Xbox Live Arcade budget priced titles, or sold in compilation packs on Steam.

Ghost Inside
Nov 15, 2011, 07:44 PM
A 2-D sidescroller "metroidvania"-type game with PSO theme! (And character cusomization!)

For... For something portable. Geez, I don't play games anymore: I don't even know what handhelds people use anymore!

And it needs awesome boss-battles! =0

Keilyn
Nov 15, 2011, 07:50 PM
I would want a complete revival of wing commander. ^_^

With all the technology we have today it would easily once again dominate the entire space genre of games like before. In fact, I would have a revival be from the very beginning of the Earth-Kilrath War. ^_^

Im still a Thrakkath/Malek fan. ^_^

Mike
Nov 15, 2011, 08:14 PM
Ports of some of the great games that came out on the Saturn as the system was dying would be nice.

EDIT: Also, a new Elite.

Retehi
Nov 15, 2011, 08:20 PM
I want a new Dino Crisis that doesn't take place in space.

And a new Eternal Champions that would put even current day Mortal Kombat violence, to pure shame.

Split
Nov 15, 2011, 08:58 PM
Every Metal Gear Solid, or at least MGS3, Portable Ops, Peace Walker, and MGS4 (since those are all the ones that canonically include CQC), remade with MGS4's graphics and Peace Walker's gameplay, specifically the Co-op (don't ask me how it would work story-wise, but c'mon, MGS3 co-op would be awesome) and CQC-chaining, and maybe include more animations in said CQC chaining.

Final Fantasy X (not VII, like most people say) remade with Devil May Cry 4's engine. Yeah that's right.

Monochrome
Nov 15, 2011, 09:11 PM
Phantasy Star 5.

..and a high-budget Suikoden reboot.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Nov 15, 2011, 09:50 PM
A new Einhander would be great. Just saying. Or a new Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with The Crystal Bearers engine, and Echoes of Times gameplay. I would play that game forever.

Anon_Fire
Nov 15, 2011, 09:54 PM
Final Fantasy V and VI for the Nintendo 3DS
Crash Bandicoot HD collection (the first 3 games)
Zelda II remake for DSi/eShop
Dungeon Master III
Majora's Mask 3D
Spyro HD Collection
Remake of Doom 64
F-Zero next-gen

Rashiid
Nov 15, 2011, 10:53 PM
Well I can tell you right now Anon Fire that FFV is most likely going to be remade for 3DS, according to Japan. Doesn't surprise me as each old FF is being remade for a handheld slowly.

I'd like another Mario Kart Double Dash.
A new 2-Xtreme would be hilarious.

ashley50
Nov 15, 2011, 11:46 PM
Oboro Muramasa, Otomedius Gorgeous/Excellent, XBL Shmups, Gradius Gaiden.

SuperChoco
Nov 16, 2011, 12:13 AM
A Shining Force HD Collection containing Shining Force games from the genesis and saturn, with a re-worked translation.

Nitro Vordex
Nov 16, 2011, 12:41 AM
Killer Instinct. Fuck Mortal Kombat. And I agree with the Eternal Champions.

NoiseHERO
Nov 16, 2011, 01:11 AM
- A 3D Boktai game would be fucking rad, take the first game, make it 3D, Keep the MGS/Zelda Gameplay with an MGS based engine or something, customize your solar gun and hunt vampires online with/against friends, eat a dick CoD.

- A 3D version of the first megaman, with Legends/Dash gameplay. Or the first megaman EXE game.

- Pokemon Red/Blue remade on a console (obvious design)

- Chrono Trigger (Why'd that project have to die?)

- The rest of the SNES Final Fantasy's on DS/3DS/Vita, The same way they did 3 and 4 on the DS.

- Seriously on the boktai, I know you have assloads of money and free time hideo kojima!

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Nov 16, 2011, 01:12 AM
Oh, I got another one. Phantom Dust.
That game deserves a second chance. Don't need another story. Just better Graphics and more customizing options. (IE: Arsenals, and maybe character edit. 8D)

Xefi
Nov 16, 2011, 02:23 AM
Warsong, Langrisser II, Der Langrisser, Shining in the Darkness, Soul Blazer,
Ogre Battle - March of the Black Queen, Otogi 1+2, Battle Arena Toshiden 2+3,
Sengoku 3, Samurai Showdown 5 special, Suikoden 1+2, Act Raiser, Super Metroid,
Street of Rage 2+3, Shining Force 1+2+3, Soul Blade, Wild Arms, Kartia, La Pucelle,
Blade of Darkness, Sword of Vermillion, Terranigma, Growlanser 2+3+4, Alundra,
Final Fantasy VI, Golden Axe 1+2+3, Sakura Taisen Column, SimCity, Raiden Trad,
Killer Instinct 1+2, Legen of Zelda A Link to the Past, Final Fight 1+2+3, Super Double Dragon,
Battletoad vs Double Dragon, Spiderman Maximum Carnage, Sudeki.......

Those are all i can come up with right now. :cat:

but the list aside, i only want Warsong and Langrisser II to be remake in HD spirtes
and high res graphic. i love those two games when i was little, and i still love them now.

NoiseHERO
Nov 16, 2011, 02:28 AM
Warsong, Langrisser II, Der Langrisser, Shining in the Darkness, Soul Blazer,
Ogre Battle - March of the Black Queen, Otogi 1+2, Battle Arena Toshiden 2+3,
Sengoku 3, Samurai Showdown 5 special, Suikoden 1+2, Act Raiser, Super Metroid,
Street of Rage 2+3, Shining Force 1+2+3, Soul Blade, Wild Arms, Kartia, La Pucelle,
Blade of Darkness, Sword of Vermillion, Terranigma, Growlanser 2+3+4, Alundra,
Final Fantasy VI, Golden Axe 1+2+3, Sakura Taisen Column, SimCity, Raiden Trad,
Killer Instinct 1+2, Legen of Zelda A Link to the Past, Final Fight 1+2+3, Super Double Dragon,
Battletoad vs Double Dragon, Spiderman Maximum Carnage, Sudeki.......

Those are all i can come up with right now. :cat:

but the list aside, i only want Warsong and Langrisser II to be remake in HD spirtes
and high res graphic. i love those two games when i was little, and i still love them now.

Only if terranigma has PS2 graphics!

And Ultimate spiderman doesn't count? D:

Mantiskilla
Nov 16, 2011, 02:55 AM
A full 3D free-roaming Quest for Glory 1~5 remake

Haha just remember not to stick the lockpick up your nose (well except in QFG 2 then its just funny) Man those games were clever, funny, and awesome. Ahh the days of typing in commands b/c of VGA formats long before SVGA mouse imput choices.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G0HX7cJoUk

Linka
Nov 16, 2011, 06:55 AM
A new Einhander would be great. Just saying. Or a new Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles with The Crystal Bearers engine, and Echoes of Times gameplay. I would play that game forever.

- A 3D Boktai game would be fucking rad, take the first game, make it 3D, Keep the MGS/Zelda Gameplay with an MGS based engine or something, customize your solar gun and hunt vampires online with/against friends, eat a dick CoD.

these two. just...these two. right here. Boktai and FFCC. also, megaman starforce 4...ON THE WII U! same for a third ZX. also, outta the blue...i feel we need a good Ranma 1/2 game outta freaking nowhere. that, or...hell. a Shaun of the Dead game. XD!

Mainkai
Nov 16, 2011, 08:03 AM
An XB360 / PS3 remake of Phantasy Star Online with 4player co-op online and with proper splitscreen.

Republic Commando 2 for the 360 with co-op as above and a larger array of competitive multiplayer options.

MESeele
Nov 16, 2011, 10:54 AM
A prequel to Legend of Dragoon. And throw in a port for the original while they're at it.

Conker's Bad Fur Day II. For that matter... any sequel, prequel, new games or old remakes from a Rare NOT owned by microsoft. Another Diddy Kong Racing.

A port for Xenogears and a US release of Xenoblade.

Outrider
Nov 16, 2011, 11:12 AM
Zelda II remake for DSi/eShop

I'm sick of remakes, but yeah, I'd love to see a Zelda II remake done in a similar style as Metroid: Zero Mission.

Also, I've always wished that Sega released a "Sonic Team" bundle that contained all the Saturn games I either didn't play much or missed entirely. (NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, etc.)

Scejntjynahl
Nov 16, 2011, 11:23 AM
I'm sick of remakes, but yeah, I'd love to see a Zelda II remake done in a similar style as Metroid: Zero Mission.

Also, I've always wished that Sega released a "Sonic Team" bundle that contained all the Saturn games I either didn't play much or missed entirely. (NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, etc.)

I loved Zelda II, it was preety darn difficult and I spent many hours just leveling up on it.

I think the Panzer Dragoon series should be brought back in HD and if done right with 3D elements. Also Elemental Gear Bolt as well.

Earthworm Jim needs a new game too. That thing was comical and fun.

An actual good Contra game needs to be made, I still don't know how they can't capture the fun factor from the nes version yet.

yoshiblue
Nov 16, 2011, 11:38 AM
-A Shenmue remake for the today's systems

-Have Nintendo partner with Bethesda and make an epicly new Red and Green/Blue version.

-Banjo Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie for the wii

-Final Fantasy I remade with an optional Kingdom Hearts battle mode and gameplay

-Smash Bros for the DS also and not just for the 3ds.

-Pokemon Stadium mix with 2 and bring in all the new pokemon I guess.

-I second the Panzer Dragoon remake.

-A Remake of Evolution: The World of Sacred Device and it's sequal.

NoiseHERO
Nov 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
-A Shenmue remake for the today's systems

YES!

Shenmue

And I'd still like to play Shenmue two...

And now that you guys bring up sega, It'd be nice if all the dream cast gems got another shot at life.

ESPECIALLY Jet Set Radio. D:

And some damn online play on all that shit too.

Scejntjynahl
Nov 16, 2011, 02:17 PM
LOL all I did on Shenmue was play Space Harrier at the arcade. I never passed that game.

NoiseHERO
Nov 16, 2011, 02:24 PM
Same I just blew all my money on arcade games and sonic capsule toys and goto work.

But I had a blast doing it. D:

I watched my brother beat it though

Scejntjynahl
Nov 16, 2011, 02:44 PM
It was like a freaking SIM game really. But with a story. We could choose to ignore >.>

Outrider
Nov 16, 2011, 04:49 PM
An actual good Contra game needs to be made, I still don't know how they can't capture the fun factor from the nes version yet.

Have you played Contra IV on DS? I've read good things about it, but haven't played it myself.

Rashiid
Nov 16, 2011, 11:15 PM
I recall seeing some Contra-like anime-ish game on PSN (maybe XBL Arcade as well) and heard the difficulty factor is just as high, just flashier with ridiculously huge guns since, well, it's anime-based.

Sinue_v2
Nov 16, 2011, 11:19 PM
I recall seeing some Contra-like anime-ish game on PSN (maybe XBL Arcade as well) and heard the difficulty factor is just as high, just flashier with ridiculously huge guns since, well, it's anime-based.

Are you thinking of Hard Corps: Uprising? That game had a definite Contra/MetalSlug feel to it, and it seemed pretty good, but I only ever got as far as the demo would allow.

Rashiid
Nov 16, 2011, 11:22 PM
Yes, that game. I've been meaning to check it out. I've seen some videos of some ridiculous areas where bullets are just everywhere.

Checkmate
Nov 17, 2011, 12:10 AM
A port for Xenogears and a US release of Xenoblade.

I believe they just released this within the last month on PSN. Not HD, just a port.

Chrono Trigger 2, a "real" sequel. Hell, even Chrono Cross 2 would be nice.

More of the Shadow Hearts series would be nice.

Streets of Rage series

Phantasy Star V; forget Universe,Online,Galaxy,Supernova

Jade Cocoon

Dark Cloud

Suikoden HD collection (that could literally be 1000s of hours of gameplay)

revamped .hack//Infection;Mutation;Outbreak;Quarantine

I think SquareEnix is holding off on a remake/HD of FF7 for when they are on the razors edge of bankrupcy. I don't particularly think it is the cream of the crop RPG like everyone else does, but it was good.

darkante
Nov 17, 2011, 12:19 AM
Legacy of kain (where is mah ending?).
Alundra 3 with the feeling and immersion from the first one (No bullshit like A2)
Dragon Valor 2 with similiar music and more sword combos (No real complaints anyway).

ShadowDragon28
Nov 17, 2011, 01:11 AM
A proper remake of of the original Phantasy Star by Wow/Overworks with Rieko Kodama, the art design by "Yoshibon".

Retehi
Nov 17, 2011, 01:47 AM
I also want a badass next-gen E-SWAT.

http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/eswat/eswatj.jpg

NoiseHERO
Nov 17, 2011, 10:38 AM
Those are the guys that saved Jessie Slaughter!

Orange_Coconut
Nov 17, 2011, 02:11 PM
I would love a revamped, beautifully animated Seiken Densetsu 3 available for one of the new handhelds gaming systems with online capabilities. Allow players to join games if they'd like, having the options of the host's selection of his/her three main characters (of course it would allow the selection of the ones that weren't currently being played).

From there, I would say to make the game flow better, give the attacks better collision with enemies and objects, and alter the magic system for shortcuts while eliminating game pausing while sifting through your spell list.

I think that they should re-balance each class to make it so that the less common classes become more usable and practical. I also think that the story should integrate each character better in regards to who you pick as your main character. Perhaps some added boss battles, some different dialogue, and maybe completely re-do certain character stories altogether.

Then, I would like for there to be a PvP arena for the game so that people can team up with other players to go online and compete in an online Secret of Mana-based combat system with terrain hazards and traps. I would also like for there to be separate dungeon missions for players to go through that may reveal what was going on outside of the characters' journeys and allowed for players to explore and maybe even thwart plans of things that were going on alongside the main storyline or, if that's too complicated, just having dungeons that allow for new and original boss battles and tactics for the players to execute. Perhaps give each character a special property for dungeon-crawling, too. This would allow for re-playability outside of the main storyline and possibly could open up potential downloadable content (and while I despise downloadable content with the utmost passion, I think that this would make it more interesting for the company to keep themselves interested in the game).

And while most of that is probably way too unrealistic, I would absolutely love it if it would come out. Heck, not even necessarily for the handhelds, I just thought it would be nice to have a game with online versatility for them. I wouldn't mind it on any system, really.

I think they could really improve it by adding skill sets as opposed to having one set special attack per character class. Maybe have one unique one per character, then allow for others that are equip-able depending on the class you are. Not only that, but each character should then have different weapon styles that can be used and selected at the beginning of the game so that you have some kind of customization in that regard before leveling and adventuring.

I want too much.

Firocket1690
Nov 29, 2011, 01:53 AM
A 2-D sidescroller "metroidvania"-type game with PSO theme! (And character cusomization!)

wut? (http://store.steampowered.com/app/35720/)

I skimmed most of the thread. StarFox64 came out in '97, they got it right, and never again.

I'm quite content with the current generation of oldschool 2D sidescrollers and the homage to simpler times. Mostly done with Super Meat Boy, and currently halfway through VVVVVV. I wouldn't change a thing.

Weeaboolits
Nov 29, 2011, 08:19 AM
Threads of Fate.

Milla
Nov 29, 2011, 09:01 AM
Ummm I wouldn't mind a HD port of Skies of Arcadia, in fact any port would do!

Randomness
Nov 29, 2011, 02:12 PM
Ummm I wouldn't mind a HD port of Skies of Arcadia, in fact any port would do!

ANY port? *points to Gamecube port*

That aside, my crazy remake wish is for FFVI. I'd say I can't see it being done that way and not being rated M, but Dissidia only had a T rating...

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 11, 2011, 06:54 PM
oh, to add to my list:
A third Okami game on the 3DS
HD full remake/graphical overhaul for Majora's Mask on the Wii U
(this one isn't as ridiculous) Skies of Arcadia on GC virctual console for Wii U

Ark22
Dec 11, 2011, 09:19 PM
FF12 with FF13 graphics engine.

Keilyn
Dec 11, 2011, 10:18 PM
Ok going back to Old School.

I would love a remake for the next generation, but with expanded plotlines and a different direction of the Original NES title "Maniac Mansion."

That game was insanely funny and weird, had multiple endings and had a lot to do. ^_^

Here is the title music :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZCafbkQ-RT8

Edit: My favorite character theme in the game....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WsFRWuFBuk&feature=related

I love that tapping solo. :)

darkante
Dec 12, 2011, 12:48 PM
Haha, i remember that.
Always a little nervous about that crazy doc trying to capture me for whatever reason.
Didnīt beat it though.

Nitro Vordex
Dec 12, 2011, 01:37 PM
I need a new Extreme-G. Or at least a 3DS port of the first and/or second one. It would be amazing. The music in that game was godlike. Also breaking the sound barrier was pretty cool guy.

Jet Force Gemini and Killer Instinct are top contenders as well. Especially Killer Instinct. I want it to make Mortal Kombat look like dogshit.

Not like that's hard to do.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 12, 2011, 03:38 PM
Jet Force Gemini and Killer Instinct are top contenders as well. Especially Killer Instinct. I want it to make Mortal Kombat look like dogshit.

Not like that's hard to do.

I forgot about Jet Force Gemini, I'd have to agree there, I loved that game!

yoshiblue
Dec 12, 2011, 04:33 PM
A gamecube attachment so I can play GCN games on my 3ds(If I had one).

Split
Dec 12, 2011, 06:21 PM
A remake of the original Crystal Chronicles (for any system, I really have no preference). The graphics or gameplay don't really need to change, but it would have to include the ability to do local co-op with other actual controllers, as I never got to play it co-op because of the stupid GBA-GCN link cable thing requiring other players to use a GBA as a controller. Such a dumb, money-grubbing move for what I otherwise considered to be a beautiful game. Also, add the option to have AI-controlled party members as permanent members of your caravan that follow you through dungeons and into towns and such (and carry the chalice for you when necessary).

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Dec 15, 2011, 06:33 PM
also, the obvious, but incredibly well suited, PSO with the possible addition of an episode 5, on the 3DS. Think about it, the online system for the 3DS works well enough to support this kind of MMO (though if possible it should be free even if that means no updates), and they wouldn't have to change the graphics because they're good enough and not too good to be on the 3DS.

.Rusty.
Dec 15, 2011, 06:55 PM
The 3ds can do dlc now with the latest update so a pso type game might work rather well.
I want a f zero x or f zero gx remake.

Outrider
Dec 16, 2011, 10:53 AM
Okay, I actually would love to have PSO with some new content on one of my systems. I honestly think it could be a fun $15 downloadable game on XBLA/PSN, but 3DS isn't a bad idea either.

Keilyn
Dec 17, 2011, 10:36 PM
How about a Conquest of the Crystal Palace Remake? Of course I would also like to see a new "TGL" (The Guardian Legend)

Kion
Dec 21, 2011, 11:39 AM
Every Metal Gear Solid, or at least MGS3, Portable Ops, Peace Walker, and MGS4 (since those are all the ones that canonically include CQC), remade with MGS4's graphics and Peace Walker's gameplay, specifically the Co-op (don't ask me how it would work story-wise, but c'mon, MGS3 co-op would be awesome) and CQC-chaining, and maybe include more animations in said CQC chaining.

Final Fantasy X (not VII, like most people say) remade with Devil May Cry 4's engine. Yeah that's right.

Well does the Metal Gear Solid HD pack live up to that? Peace Walker is getting revamped with dual analog controls.

And final fantasy X would need a bit of work. Make Tidus not be such an annoying nancy-boy, change the battle system and fill in some of the plot holes and it could work. Personally rather than remaking any final fantasy games I'd rather they continue working on new ones.

That being said a, Final Fantasy 7 update would be awesome. Except i just don't see it happening. Remaking all of the areas in 3D, all of the content, the massive amount of work it would take just for the fans to bitch about minor things that aren't like the original is probably not worth it for square to tackle.

Adding my votes for a new Jet Grind Radio and Jet Force Gemini. And the world needs more Muramasa Demon Blade (wii), that game freaking kicked ass.

Split
Dec 21, 2011, 12:02 PM
Well does the Metal Gear Solid HD pack live up to that? Peace Walker is getting revamped with dual analog controls.

And final fantasy X would need a bit of work. Make Tidus not be such an annoying nancy-boy, change the battle system and fill in some of the plot holes and it could work. Personally rather than remaking any final fantasy games I'd rather they continue working on new ones.It doesn't live up to that because I said I wanted MGS4's graphics/engine and Peace Walker's CQC/general gameplay implemented in a total remake of every game in the series (since we're pipe dreaming here). In the Collection, MGS2 and 3 are both totally in their original states save for the HD update.

Also, Tidus is a great character, I get so tired of people calling him annoying or a wimp or etc. He's really a pretty complex and interesting character if you look at the whole picture (instead of just one or two scenes in which he actually was annoying, due mostly to localization problems in just those parts). Also, if you pay enough attention, the plot is airtight; name something you considered a plothole, and I can explain it.

I didn't say FFVII because that's what everyone says. While VII is also a great game, it's probably only my 2nd or 3rd favorite Final Fantasy (it's a toss-up between it and VI), with X easily clinching the top spot. I also don't think it would translate to a modern remake as well as everyone else seems to (everyone wants it to be a Kingdom Hearts-style action RPG after seeing Advent Children); if anything, I would like VII to be remade with high-quality 2D graphics and put in a top-down format like the earlier FFs. I think in future games, the Final Fantasy series in general needs to either go back to creating really great top-down, 2D RPGS, or go back to the 3D characters/battlefields, pre-rendered environments, and open worlds between towns, a la VII-IX .

Outrider
Dec 21, 2011, 06:17 PM
And final fantasy X would need a bit of work. Make Tidus not be such an annoying nancy-boy, change the battle system and fill in some of the plot holes and it could work. Personally rather than remaking any final fantasy games I'd rather they continue working on new ones.

Wait, "change the battle system"? Most people have gotten over Final Fantasy X these days (the key "Split" demographic notwithstanding), but the battle system is one of the few things that's still almost universally cited as a success in that game. What was wrong with it?

Kion
Dec 22, 2011, 02:21 AM
I don't like turn based in general. Personally I prefer action RPGs. i really hate random battles and going through menus. It really interrupts the pacing of the game and removes me from the experience. That being said though, is that it was balanced, well paced and the character switching was definitely a good mechanic for what it is. I think something along the lines of Tales of Symphonia or Kingdom Hearts mechanics would be a lot more involving (as far as my tastes go).

As for the plot holes in FFX. I don't mean the story, mostly after you fight Semore in the ice temple you fall to the bottom of the glacier, Aoron explains to Tidus how sin is Jheght then they see Sin swimming above them (in the Ocean?) and then sin's toxin causes everyone to fall asleep and wake up in the dessert? Sorry I forgot most of the names and locations. But still that was a huge wtf for me? It's just a huge unexplained hole in the action.

The main story about Tidus and sin was pretty cool. I'll admit that, but I still don't like Tidus as a character. In contrast I like Raiden from MGS2 a lot, because he grows. He starts out confused, whiny and then becomes a total bad ass by the end of the game (a couple metal gear rays, sure no prob). Tidus on the other hand is pretty much an annoying wimp the entire game. I think a better voice actor (or none at all) would have been an improvement, but I still thought he was a flat out boring character.

Outrider
Dec 22, 2011, 11:16 AM
I don't like turn based in general. Personally I prefer action RPGs. i really hate random battles and going through menus. It really interrupts the pacing of the game and removes me from the experience. That being said though, is that it was balanced, well paced and the character switching was definitely a good mechanic for what it is. I think something along the lines of Tales of Symphonia or Kingdom Hearts mechanics would be a lot more involving (as far as my tastes go).

But that's just asking for a completely different game. It's like saying that you want them to remake Street Fighter IV, but this time make it a dancing game.

Rashiid
Dec 22, 2011, 12:06 PM
If FFX was turned into an action RPG, I wouldn't know who to hit first. SE, or people that asked for it and actually persuaded them to do that.

Just wait for Verses XIII if you want an action FF.

Split
Dec 22, 2011, 06:19 PM
As for the plot holes in FFX. I don't mean the story, mostly after you fight Semore in the ice temple you fall to the bottom of the glacier, Aoron explains to Tidus how sin is Jheght then they see Sin swimming above them (in the Ocean?) and then sin's toxin causes everyone to fall asleep and wake up in the dessert? Sorry I forgot most of the names and locations. But still that was a huge wtf for me? It's just a huge unexplained hole in the action.

The main story about Tidus and sin was pretty cool. I'll admit that, but I still don't like Tidus as a character. In contrast I like Raiden from MGS2 a lot, because he grows. He starts out confused, whiny and then becomes a total bad ass by the end of the game (a couple metal gear rays, sure no prob). Tidus on the other hand is pretty much an annoying wimp the entire game. I think a better voice actor (or none at all) would have been an improvement, but I still thought he was a flat out boring character.Sin has the ability to sort of "abduct" people and spit them out elsewhere, as demonstrated in the beginning when it sucks Tidus and Auron out of Dream Zanarkand in the final scene of the absolutely badass introductory sequence and deposits Tidus in Baaj Temple (where he meets Rikku) and Auron somewhere else in Spira. That's what happened when they were at the bottom of Lake Macalania; Sin abducted them, then spat them out in the desert. Also Sin was flying above them in Lake Macalania, not swimming; the actual water in the lake has presumably dried up somehow, leaving only a thick sheet of ice above empty space. Sin can both swim and fly, hence why you have to fight him from the airship toward the end.

Also, the whole point of the story is that Tidus does grow. He starts out not knowing anything about Spira at all (like the player) and whining about it, thinking only of himself; then, by the final third of the game, he has matured and is now only thinking about how to save Yuna, eventually concluding that she is worth sacrificing not just his life, but his very existence for. I'd say that's just about the very definition of character growth and is actually more clear than Raiden's growth, even though I also happen to give MGS2 Raiden a lot more credit than most.

As for the battle system, while turn-based battle systems are not my preferred method of combat in video games, FFX's system is one of only a handful of non-active time turn-based systems I not only can stand, but genuinely enjoy. The only other one that comes to mind right now is Skies of Arcadia. I do actually like FFXII's battle system better, and since FFX was originally supposed to have some approximation of XII's combat anyway (real-time version of ATB, enemies appearing on the field instead of the classic JRPG alternate-dimension-that-looks-roughly-similar-to-wherever-the-random-encounter-happened), I think it'd be cool for a remake of X to have the same gambit system -- although just give out gambits automatically whenever players receive a spell or other ability relevant to them, because having to spend hard-earned gil on AI commands at in-game shops like they were weapons or equipment was an objectively stupid concept. Also, I just want the battle system. They'd better NOT fuck with the Sphere Grid, it's probably my favorite mechanism for character development in an RPG outside of Oblivion.

Kion
Dec 22, 2011, 08:07 PM
But that's just asking for a completely different game. It's like saying that you want them to remake Street Fighter IV, but this time make it a dancing game.

http://fc01.deviantart.net/fs32/f/2008/200/1/8/Caramell_Dansen_Street_Fighter_by_Kensubkyo.png

I guess for FFX the only change needed would be new voice actors (or an option for the japanese voices).

And on topic: would be great to see a Gitaroo Man game on 3DS.