PDA

View Full Version : The previous item drop system...

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Nov 21, 2011, 08:33 PM
It's not so much that I have an issue with it in itself. I don't. The basic, drop of complete items in PS0 and PSO was great compared to the combination of that and synthesizing that we faced in PSU. My issue at the moment is just remembering a nagging issue with item drops that didn't bother me before as much as it should. Item drops should be better sorted to difficulty. Particularly armor, and weapon drops should be better sorted if they continue to use the difficulty setup again.

It sort of bugged me that back in PSO 1&2 I could find a hyper frame in ultimate. It was armor that would and had consistently been replaced with better armor before I even made it to very hard, yet it drops in Ultimate too? It wasn't quite as big an issue with weapons since they had hard stat requirements rather than levels, but even then it seemed like they could have been scaled slightly better.

In PS0 just today I find an Anti 6 in super difficulty. Seems sort of pointless as I have to be 4 times the level required to learn Anti 6 in order to get to Super for multiplayer in the first place. Then there's the piles and piles of melee weapons I can't pronounce that required levels in the mid to late 30s and a clear knife (lv 12) that I find in Super as well.

I get that those are just throw away items we sell or tekk then sell for meseta, but they drop alongside piles and piles of meseta anyway. All that meseta just goes to charge/celeb effects since far enough into either game resupply costs won't outstrip monetary gain. It just seems like unnecessary list slot padding that could have gone to other things, or perhaps raising rates on other things on the lists.

It seems rant-y, but I just hope PSO2 goes for more consistent and balanced drop tables instead of dumping throwaway items on us for quick excess meseta.

On an unrelated note, I think it would be neat if they also added a system similar to the weapon fusion system in Warriors Orochi. If we get the same weapon or armor on a regular basis, they could let us add percents, ATP/DFP & EVP, Resistances, PAs, and Slots to other equipment with some monetary cost and the loss of the item that we consume the specs from.

Cayenne
Nov 21, 2011, 09:19 PM
I wonder what else you obsess about...

Macman
Nov 21, 2011, 10:49 PM
I get more annoyed that certain areas go to waste because there's rarely anything worthwhile dropping in them.
VR Spaceship, anyone?

RemiusTA
Nov 21, 2011, 11:16 PM
that problem is only horrifically compounded with the inclusion of mission-based gameplay like in PSU.

On an unrelated note, I think it would be neat if they also added a system similar to the weapon fusion system in Warriors Orochi. If we get the same weapon or armor on a regular basis, they could let us add percents, ATP/DFP & EVP, Resistances, PAs, and Slots to other equipment with some monetary cost and the loss of the item that we consume the specs from.

If it wasn't complete fail, this is how i expected PSU's synthesis system to be. But they opted for "LETS STRETCH GAMEPLAY TIME" instead of "lets create a system that'll actually be fun to utilize."

dooby613
Nov 30, 2011, 08:46 AM
I get more annoyed that certain areas go to waste because there's rarely anything worthwhile dropping in them.
VR Spaceship, anyone?

Aura Field for Oran *cough cough*

dooby613
Nov 30, 2011, 08:54 AM
I think that is more of an issue of non rare armor being useless after about level 70 and all the normal stuff stops getting better at some point and the boxes still drop armor and it's not going to all be rare armor so it kinda created something awkward but with the amount of rare armor available in Blue Burst I think it was an issue that became outdated with it's release.

Macman
Nov 30, 2011, 01:17 PM
Aura Field for Oran *cough cough*That's VR Temple, genius.

scorpio4484
Dec 1, 2011, 02:01 PM
I think the drop system has been horrendous in all the PSO games and PSU but thats just the Japanese way of thinking and wanting you to grind grind grind grind grind....grind...grind.....grind...........grind.. .oh look a DB Saber!! :(

moorebounce
Dec 1, 2011, 08:04 PM
@Force Hey I thought about that same thing the other day (while playing PSOBB) where you would still see monomates and monofluids in the Ultimate difficulty. They should cut down on items players won't use in higher levels.

I would love to see them use the drop system they have in PSZero where the drops are at the end of the map or boss fight. That way you don't have cherry pickers leave you during the heat of a battle to pick up a item and or rare item.

Aura Field for Oran *cough cough*

lol I'm the one players talk to when they want Aura Fields and Synestas in PSOBB.

Selphea
Dec 1, 2011, 09:34 PM
VR Spaceship was good for Partisan of Lightning.

Main problem it had was that the drops were just plain bugged in there iirc. Not sure if private servers fixed that.

Macman
Dec 1, 2011, 10:03 PM
Only things that come to mind from Spaceship are Egg Blaster parts, an alternate Handgun Guld drop, and a Section ID card or two.

kyuuketsuki
Dec 2, 2011, 11:05 PM
I don't get it. You expect every single thing that drops to be an upgrade or useful?

If an item isn't useful or an upgrade and you don't care to sell it for meseta, then ignore it and move on.

NoiseHERO
Dec 3, 2011, 03:30 AM
I'm not sure if I'm remembering what this thread was about...

I thought the point of lesser tier dropping in highier difficulty missions in any kind of game was to make the items easier to get, to make their other uses more convenient or give you a higher chance of obtaining it if you failed to in the past, if you were too cheap/went with the flow and never got anything better.

Like if I wanted to give the items out to a bunch of new players or alternate characters, without me having to find the items ON said alternate characters.

Like if I did something stupid and sold all of my weapons, and a 7* handgun drops in a S2 mission. Now I at least have a crappy but use-able weapon.

Like if I was broke but wanted to sell my excess junk and the pool of items I get from higher missions sell better.

Or if I wanted to make, craft or find something specific for whatever reason and I don't have to fight a lower level of monsters to get it, so I can still have nice EXP.

Or in general I've never noticed the issue, unless I was really hunting a rare (which would be never) and I'd be pissed off that the red box is a scape doll or something. But that's just part of the gamble.

Not like they need a reason to give us a HIGHER drop rates on already not-so-rare- rare "rare drops". (Then again I hated PSU's drop rates felt like some rares didn't even exist for years, the small community being spread out to look for them didn't help.)

RemiusTA
Dec 3, 2011, 01:12 PM
I don't get it. You expect every single thing that drops to be an upgrade or useful?

If an item isn't useful or an upgrade and you don't care to sell it for meseta, then ignore it and move on.

I remember, playing certian classes on PSO, i'd consider most of the weapons i found to actually be useful in one way or another. This is mostly because of weapon specials, attribute %s or just the fact that multiple targets, multiple hits and damage was alot more exclusive on that game. PSP2 had something similiar to this with the Elemental system, but unfortunately 1) while it made the weapon super useful in one situation it completely destroyed it in another, and 2) there was no other feature to the weapon aside from elements, since weapon specials were automatically applied to your attack...

And yes, lower-tier weapons dropping in higher missions is needed. Mostly because its impossible to have everything you could have drop before, but also because every weapon that drops can't be a Rare-quality weapon.

In PSO, during some cases, non-rare weapons could actually be more useful than rare ones, but in all cases weapons were able to be situational without removing the original use of the weapon. This counted double for different classes who cross-used weapons. Ever used the 'Diska of' weapons with a ranger before? They were useless on my hunter, but when i finally made a ranger i found them ridiculously useful because of how accurate their special abilities were (instant kill, confusion, Berserk), or if you found something like a HP% cut ability, you could make combat for your whole party significantly easier during higher level battles. TP recovery items for Forces were very useful as well, esp. if they were ranged.

PSU's droprates were so shitty because there were so many different missions to play. They should have pooled rares into the areas themselves instead of specific missions or specific enemies especially if they didn't appear in that particular mission.

Finally, i think PSO2 should look into this: http://www.pso-world.com/sections.php?op=viewarticle&artid=722

Any way to make weapon drops not monotonous, they need to jump on. They cut good stuff like this out in order to make a far more complicated and annoying Grinding system -- which didn't work too well for any game except PSP2, and even then i had hoped they removed the 10 grind limit and just had a specific limit for a particular weapon.

dooby613
Dec 4, 2011, 04:01 AM
That's VR Temple, genius.

You are right, you caught me don't know why i didn't notice that, I'm picking them up all the time.

Neith
Dec 4, 2011, 07:33 AM
VR Spaceship was good for Partisan of Lightning.

Main problem it had was that the drops were just plain bugged in there iirc. Not sure if private servers fixed that.

Online it was good to run Skyly PW#2 or PW#4 1-floor runs for PoL, Spaceship was a decent drop but took longer to get to from what I found. Suppose it depends on which IDs you have readily available.

I never liked PSU's method of dropping boards and materials; nothing worse than finding a rare board then failing the synth. It would be nice in PSO2 to see the useful stuff nicely spread across each area though, rather than having one area that's full of good stuff. Oh, and please make stuff harder to find than it was in PSU/PSP2. It's no fun when you're tripping over supposed rares. I think on PC/PS2 the only things I'd have ever called rare were Milla, Spread Needle and Red / Knight...

NoiseHERO
Dec 4, 2011, 08:00 AM
Online it was good to run Skyly PW#2 or PW#4 1-floor runs for PoL, Spaceship was a decent drop but took longer to get to from what I found. Suppose it depends on which IDs you have readily available.

I never liked PSU's method of dropping boards and materials; nothing worse than finding a rare board then failing the synth. It would be nice in PSO2 to see the useful stuff nicely spread across each area though, rather than having one area that's full of good stuff. Oh, and please make stuff harder to find than it was in PSU/PSP2. It's no fun when you're tripping over supposed rares. I think on PC/PS2 the only things I'd have ever called rare were Milla, Spread Needle and Red / Knight...

I remember when twin headed ragnus was rare.

Then it became the kerseline of s-rank weapons.

Ce'Nedra
Dec 6, 2011, 05:19 AM
Spaceship was the only place to find certain ID cards and one of the 2 places to find Handgun:Guld.

I hope they keep the drop system from PSP2. It's the most fair i think, i hated PSU's personnaly. PSO's was ok but whoever was closet to the drop gets it.

Silver_Wyrm
Dec 7, 2011, 04:51 AM
Spaceship was the only place to find certain ID cards and one of the 2 places to find Handgun:Guld.

I hope they keep the drop system from PSP2. It's the most fair i think, i hated PSU's personnaly. PSO's was ok but whoever was closet to the drop gets it.

This, I got sick of hunters telling me I don't deserve the items because I don't get in as close as them...as they take my special weapon rifle they can't use. I want to be able to play with random people without fear of being shafted.

All the same though, I hope something is done so trading can make a comeback.

What is current system in pso2 alpha btw?

Ce'Nedra
Dec 7, 2011, 06:11 AM
This, I got sick of hunters telling me I don't deserve the items because I don't get in as close as them...as they take my special weapon rifle they can't use. I want to be able to play with random people without fear of being shafted.
?

Yeah, Forces and Mainly Rangers wouldn't be able to get any rares unless they are on the frontlines like hunters...by the time they run up all hunters snatch the rares away from you. Mostly when i was in a party with people i knew and they were looking for certain guns or wands or whatever for their RA/FO then i would give it to them even if i found it.

Jonth
Dec 7, 2011, 07:18 AM

All the same though, I hope something is done so trading can make a comeback.

What is current system in pso2 alpha btw?

Could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure it is using a system where every one has their own drops that only they can see on their screens, like PSZ and some others. If that is the case, you won't have to worry about that scenario.

Ce'Nedra
Dec 7, 2011, 09:15 AM
I heard PSO2 gets the drop system from PSP2 as well, never played PSZ (heard to much BS about it how much the game sucked etc )so dunno that one's drop system.

DoctorShanks
Dec 7, 2011, 09:32 AM
Item drops:
-Drop items are decided on a character-by-character basis.
-Each character can get different drops.

Sounds alot like PSZ... but without the chests. So basically you see the drops but no one else does as they get their own set of drops which you can't see. This is nice. I don't want to play another game where someone can ninja my drops.

never played PSZ (heard to much BS about it how much the game sucked etc )so dunno that one's drop system.

Kill stuff in room > Chest spawns > Break chest > Monomates.

Ce'Nedra
Dec 7, 2011, 09:50 AM
Sounds alot like PSZ... but without the chests. So basically you see the drops but no one else does as they get their own set of drops which you can't see. This is nice. I don't want to play another game where someone can ninja my drops.

Kill stuff in room > Chest spawns > Break chest > Monomates.

Sounds boring to me...Now i'm sure i wont buy PSZ unless i see it for 5 euro in a store somewhere...maybic.

I'm also happy with the dropsystem. Rares you are hunting for months to just get ninja'd before your eyes when they finnaly drop makes one rage.

AzureBlaze
Dec 7, 2011, 04:26 PM
I have to step in a bit for the defense of PSZ here a little bit...

It was a fun game for A WHILE.
If you went into it with some friends and the mindset that you were going to have a good time for a finite amount of time, then you would be good with it. It's cool enough with the new monsters/traps/interesting little areas and 'draw your speech bubbles' communication method. But no updates and very static things DO limit the play time value. Drops weren't rubbish and it was actually cooler than PSU in that you got weapons that looked DIFFERENT and interesting the whole way through your carreer. (everything didnt look so generic)

The problem was vs. expectations of it being like PSP or PSO-like, which it wasn't. It was its own thing which was good--just not 'years of playing it good' like the other PS's. The writing your speeches meant that chatting was sort of out. It wasn't horrid like psp where you needed a Xat or something.

The thing about the drop system (individualized drops or not) would have to be trade & sell ability w/other players. It was ultra stupid in PSP when I would get some rare I couldn't use and then it was TOO RARE to trade to a player or you couldn't even drop it. You had to waste it selling it to an NPC for a penny because it hogged inventory and you couldn't have a store.

I forget if PSZ had your stuff un-drop-able but I think it did. There shouldn't be much worry with pso2 though, I mean PC games you'll def. be able to have a store & a trade counter or something at least...just they need to make it use-able for EVERYitem you can get in the game.

Jonth
Dec 7, 2011, 06:02 PM
It was a fun game for A WHILE.
If you went into it with some friends and the mindset that you were going to have a good time for a finite amount of time, then you would be good with it.

Exactly. No, it couldn't possibly be like the other PS games because of the lack of content, but it was fun for a while. Made it through the game on normal and hard, and then quit playing after playing a few minutes on super or whatever it was called. However, I do not regret playing it at all. I even was able to do the whole Wi-Fi co-op with a few friend codes I found on these boards. Stupid friend codes...