PDA

View Full Version : I made this from a Google Chrome Book :P

Ark22
Nov 29, 2011, 04:12 PM
So I am sitting in my Biology class and my friend has 3G internet from his Chrome book so I decided to take it and use it. The Chrome book is pretty cool, feels nice. Any opinions on it?

McLaughlin
Nov 29, 2011, 05:08 PM
Storing things on the Cloud as your primary data storage can only end badly.

Ark22
Nov 29, 2011, 10:11 PM
I was messing around, the 16gb SSD drive is pretty beast.

Zarode
Nov 29, 2011, 11:23 PM
Storing things on the Cloud as your primary data storage can only end badly.

Same could be said of hard drives and a well placed EMP.

CupOfCoffee
Nov 30, 2011, 01:13 PM
Chromebook is a cool idea, but they seem kind of overpriced for what they are. (That said, my computer is a Macbook Pro, so I'll kindly shut up now.)

Randomness
Nov 30, 2011, 02:33 PM

Hard drives are mounted in airtight, solid metal shells... I'd have to do some looking, but EM waves tend to just flow through solid metal shells and leave the interior alone. (With various factors like wavelength coming into play and such, but still... lightning strikes plane, only the skin of the plane gets zapped most of the time)

joefro
Nov 30, 2011, 05:18 PM
I think that if they were in the $100-$200 range, they would sell like crazy, and they would be worth it. However, at the current prices, they just are not a viable option. Why waste the money on a Chromebook when you could buy a much cheaper netbook and just install Google Chrome on it?

Ark22
Nov 30, 2011, 07:37 PM
My friend was accepted in the google chrome book beta thing....ie.

McLaughlin
Nov 30, 2011, 07:41 PM

The Cloud is far more likely to implode than you are to have someone invade your home, pull off the side of your PC case, and destroy your hard disk with an EMP. The Cloud also poses far greater security risk than a physical drive in your own home does.

I may also be missing something, but I'm fairly sure the operating system for the Chromebook is also stored on the Cloud, which means no internet connection = paperweight.

Zarode
Dec 1, 2011, 02:56 AM
Guys, I was...

I was joking. :disapprove:

Clouds are about as safe as your computer is. They are both prone to failure.

NoiseHERO
Dec 1, 2011, 03:21 AM
I thought clouds were just those giant floating wads of white gas that hold rain sometimes?

amtalx
Dec 1, 2011, 04:19 AM
Hard drives are mounted in airtight, solid metal shells... I'd have to do some looking, but EM waves tend to just flow through solid metal shells and leave the interior alone. (With various factors like wavelength coming into play and such, but still... lightning strikes plane, only the skin of the plane gets zapped most of the time)

You're thinking of current. An electromagnetic field will penetrate anything that isn't specifically shielded. Using an EMP would be silly anyway (probably the posters intention), as they are costly to generate. You'd be better off with a suit of magnets.

On Topic: Cloud storage is great. It places the focus on your content, as opposed to the device you use to consume it. However, it's a big leap to trust another party with the responsibility of safeguarding your files. On site backups are great, but ultimately, multiple offsite backups are more reliable. Cloud storage providers have your content stored in more places, with more RAID arrays, and with more backups than any individual could ever afford.

Keilyn
Dec 1, 2011, 04:45 AM
I don't use Cloud Storage systems because of the way the laws work Internationally and in the United States.

If you are ever subject to investigation of any kind, anything in cloud storage and any site in which you do not own the server, but the information belongs to you can be turned in as state or national evidence used against you by the owner of the server.

This means if you have Data on Cloud Storage, have a facebook page, or any kind of account where you do not own the Domain Name or/and the storage device, since everything is account oriented and those are created as part of systems they literally have more rights over it.

The same is true in Banking.

You can talk all about your rights, but the Bank can freeze your accounts pending your investigation at their own will even though you own the account (but they own the system).

I see Cloud Storage more as a Corporate/Company attempt to circumvent individual rights through loopholes and other means covered in different laws.

amtalx
Dec 1, 2011, 11:54 AM
I don't use Cloud Storage systems because of the way the laws work Internationally and in the United States.

If you are ever subject to investigation of any kind, anything in cloud storage and any site in which you do not own the server, but the information belongs to you can be turned in as state or national evidence used against you by the owner of the server.

This means if you have Data on Cloud Storage, have a facebook page, or any kind of account where you do not own the Domain Name or/and the storage device, since everything is account oriented and those are created as part of systems they literally have more rights over it.

The same is true in Banking.

You can talk all about your rights, but the Bank can freeze your accounts pending your investigation at their own will even though you own the account (but they own the system).

I see Cloud Storage more as a Corporate/Company attempt to circumvent individual rights through loopholes and other means covered in different laws.

You totally forgot to mention the Illuminati and Freemasons. For Shame.

Good Cloud Storage: Music, Movies, Documents
Bad Cloud Storage: Tax Returns, Bank Statements, Complete Records of Illegal Activity

Rusty Spoons
Dec 1, 2011, 12:28 PM
Complete Records of Illegal Activity

just keep that to your facebook wall along with your smoking/drinking pictures(hopefully youre underage too!)

i <3 http://internetsarcasm.com/

:-?