PDA

View Full Version : Which Character Types did you choose?

Nymeria
Dec 14, 2011, 11:23 AM
Hi there! I'm new around here, but I'm very interested in becoming a part of this community as I'm going to get Phantasy Star Zero for Christmas and I'm pretty excited about that. :3

I'm curious to know which Character Types you guys chose to play, since there are only 3 save slots and 14 different characters to choose from.

Also, did you choose these based on their strengths/roles or for aesthetic reasons? What made you decide on these three Character Types specifically?

That's all for now. I'm looking forward to reading through responses! Any tips/opinions/advice are appreciated because I'm going to have a hard time deciding which characters to choose when I have this game. ^.^

Thanks for reading this!

Eclipse5632
Dec 14, 2011, 12:34 PM
When I first started playing, I chose a HUmar since that's my typical first choice in PSO-style games. However, I got turned off by how weak his Resta is and started a HUcast, which has been my main character. I like the HUcast class because it's pretty simple to play. It has the highest base ATP and DFP in the game, so you can do a lot of damage and still be pretty tanky.

After I maxed out that character, I wanted to try a different class. From what I'd heard and my own research, Rangers seemed kind of underwhelming, so I started a Force. I went with a FOnewm because it's pretty well-balanced in its capabilities, and as I found out later its Resta isn't actually all that bad even with the debuff. I play him as a full-tech support Force (i.e. I don't melee at all except vs. Mother Trinity/Dark Falz).

For my third class, I decided to make the "complement" to my two other characters: a female human Ranger. Both of my other characters have pretty good damage output, but the RAmarl is the weakest character in the game. I'm still working on her, but my intent is to have her focus mainly on using the Stun element to play a supporting role in a party (it also makes it easier to solo). I mainly made this character to give myself a challenge and to explore a different way of playing. My HUcast pretty much only uses basic attacks and rarely uses PAs, but after reading things that people had said on these forums I wanted to try out a more PA-heavy playstyle. Therefore, my RAmarl is currently maining Zeta Cutlass sabers and Thriller Combo handguns.

Anyway, I'd probably say just make whatever class you want at the start. Find out what the game's like first, and then after you've played for a little while you can start to figure out how you want to play and which class is best suited for that role. That's what I did, anyway.

Merm
Dec 14, 2011, 01:50 PM
Aesthetic value is always a must when I'm considering, since with the right builds and weps all classes can kick some ass.

That's not to say I didn't have troubles deciding on my 3 slots. Of my three characters, my FOmar is the only one who hasn't been deleted at least once lol

I started with a RAmarl, FOmar and FOnewm and now I have a RAcaseal, FOmar and HUnewm XD

I picked the FOmar because I have a thing for guys with glasses. :3c Also I wanted a magician type character and with the highest HP of the Forces, I thought he was the best beginner's choice. And yeah, he's awesome with his classy manrobes.

I picked the RAmarl at first because I knew I wanted a Ranger character and her uniform was super cool. In the end, because of screwed up mats and mags, I scrapped her and made a lolibot instead. I don't have a problem with RAcaseals what with pink being my favourite colour and all (though a part of me wishes that the RAcast was a shotabot/bishiebot *bricked*. I still kinda miss my RAmarl, but still, my RAcaseal is getting further than my RAmarl in a faster amount of time so I'm happy too.

For my last slot, I was bouncing back between a HUnewm and a FOnewm for the longest time. In the end, I picked the HUnewm just for the variety in playstyles. And that sexy outfit just won me over. :B

My characters are all very standard cos I'm boring that way. My FOmar throws pretty pretty techs at people/cuts stuff up with slicers, my RAcaseal shoots things with Rifles/Handguns/Earth Bullets stupid hostiles with Gunblades and my HUnewm slashes up stuff with Swords/Sabres/Daggers/Double Sabres. I've been contemplating getting another card for three more characters with slightly wackier builds...With a melee FOnewearl, a straightforward FOnewm and a revival of my RAmarl...But the urge isn't that strong. XD

Anyway, here are brief informal descriptions of the classes on how they basically play. You can get detailed stats and boosts in the guide section

HUcasts and HUcaseals are the best for rushing in and melee-ing everything to death. They also make the best tanks, and are thus ideal for DFP builds. They also have a great selection of rifles.

RAcasts and RAcaseals deal the best ranged damage without any buffs and debuffs in play. I personally enjoy firing off three heavy shots with my RAcaseal lol The RAcast and RAcaseal are also the most ideal for making a magic cast/FOcast/FOcaseal. (Casts can cast techs if they use a Wand with Act Trick...You just get random techs lolol)

HUmars and HUmarls are outclassed by other hunters no matter what build they choose, unfortunately. XD But they're still pretty strong and able to cast Jellen and Zalure so they're good solo-ers, I think.

RAmars and RAmarls are like their Hunter counterparts, in that they're mostly outclassed by the other Hunter races...race. But once again, their access to debuffs makes them good for solo-ing. Also what's not to love about their outfits?

The FOmar makes one of the best early game nukers, with his higher buff to the starting techs. He also doesn't get a penalty to Resta. Once you start getting Grants and Megid he's outclassed by every other force. He's still a pretty awesome nuker though. (Spamming Razonde is fun.) He also makes one of the best "Magic Knight" types, in that he can dish out both Magic and Melee damage with the correct build and Mags. (You'll need multiple if you want a hybrid fighter.)

For a nun, the FOmarl is pretty good at wielding firearms. She's the best Slicer user of the forces, IIRC, and also a good choice for the "Magic Knight" build. Also, Grants is a great tech so her boost to that (and Resta) is very welcome.

The HUnewm has the hottest outfit ever. Yummy chests! He and the HUnewearl make the best skill (Photon Art) spammers because of their PP regeneration. They are very versatile, and when given the proper equips, can be good magic wielders. They're also the best match if you want a faux RAnewm/RAnewearl. Also HUnewms are hot but yeah I'm repeating myself (It deserves repeating)

FOnewms are the best nukers in the game, since they get a boost to every damaging technique. Also he has an afro that's pretty awesome. (His other hair choices are also pretty yummy)

FOnewearls get a boost to one of my favourite techs, Megid. She also gets a boost to Resta, and is meant to be more of a supporting force like the FOmarl.

Aaaaand that's it. I'm sorry if I use the confusing terminology too much (I remember it being a pain when I first started) so feel free to ask!

Tetris
Dec 14, 2011, 04:12 PM
I only use one character myself, a FOnewearl since she gets the best mage stat in the game, though suffers a HP and DEF penalty.

I make this work by utilizing mainly two weapons:

A Maisen (Slicer/Boomerang Fan) that has Ice Element and a Stun PA

An EclipseStar (Saber, has great PA and has a Slow Lv 1 Chance)

Then I utilize mainly Grants and Resta so that I can be self-sufficient at any range.

I like flexibility, and Forces usually provide you with that. Rangers can use the heavier guns, but at the end of the day, I prefer to get a bit artsy with my attacks instead of the same stand-still shooting animation.

Plus, who better to have as a Seraphim of Energy, than a young lady elvish creature who excells at both magic and melee? (The reason I am a Seraphim is that I have a yellow Femini mag equipped, a very rare MAG soul that gives you wings. I thought the golden wings looked the best.)

PlinderD
Dec 14, 2011, 05:30 PM
I started with a HUmarl

I had no idea if Mates were enough to get me through areas, so I needed someone with Resta. Or if Fluids were enough to let me spam attacks. Or for that matter if Forces could do well with just attacking. And how so, so wrong I was on all three counts. Then again when I play a game, I do my entire first playthrough without visting forums. So anyway...

I picked the HUmarl over the HUmar because the little boy just looked stupid. Well the little girl looked stupid too, but at least she was cute.

Anyway, got through the entire game with no problem. Then I decided to make a FOnewearl. Since I started lurking across forums, I picked up on a few things. Namely how awesome people thought GiMegid was. Tech Bonus was the main reason I picked her. Plus the stockpile of items I built up still wasn't good enough, but I did have a good amount of L15 Tech Disks.

I now had a good amount of weapons that could get Celeb. Not perfect percentages but each weapon type (that mattered to me) had something I could use Max Celeb with.

So after the FOnewearl I made a HUnewearl. Mainly for the EVP build. Got disappointed with the damage that she did. Turned her into a ATP build. Didn't see the practical difference with the HUmarl. Finally deleted her for a RAcast.

Discovered the awesomeness of the Gunblade's Triple Shot. Then I deleted the RAcast for a RAmar just to see if the debuffs were worth it. They weren't. Zalure just took too long, Jellen didn't allow me to take more risks since I still needed to dodge anything that would knock me down and everything else was covered by Items. Deleted.

Then I found 2 people to play PS0 with, so I decided to make a HUcast. And holy ******* **** was that awesome. Between my HUcast or my FOnewearl and 2 party members (FOnewm + HUmar) we were cutting through fields like hot knives through butter.

That went on for a few months then we stopped play PS0 regularly thanks to Starcraft II. I deleted my HUcast since he was the worst at Offline play between the my remaining characters. Long story short, I made a FOmarl, tried to get the most out of Slicers, wasn't impressed. Made a FOmar, tried that Battle FOmar thing, still wasn't impressed. Made a FOnewm. Teching everything to oblivion, was kind of impressed but didn't wasn't all that different from FOnewearl doing the same thing.

Deleted the FOnewm and brought back the RAcast, except as a RAcaseal. Wasn't really bothered by the loss of the Kepler suit's bonus since... well it didn't have one with Gunblades.

And I deleted the FOnewearl for a MST HUcaseal.

So right now I have my old HUmarl, the mainstay of my entire roster. A RAcaseal which I have because... well I'm too lazy to bring back my FOnewearl. And my MST HUcaseal.

DoctorShanks
Dec 14, 2011, 05:41 PM
I started out as a HUnewearl. Down the line I got addicted to tech spamming with her, so I made another character afterwards. I then made a FOmarl because I read from the in game description that she is unmatched with techs or something like that. As for my 3rd character, I wanted to complete the class AND race trio so I made what logically would be the best ranger in the game: a RAcast. I played my FOmarl until I got to Lv40, then got bored and wanted to hit and shoot things. I played up my HUnewearl until about Lv 77 then just got bored and started playing my RAcast until about Lv30ish and finished the story with him. As time went on, I much prefered to play as my FOmarl because I had fun incinerating everything. Soon after I discovered PSO-world. When I read up on bonuses, I was rather dissapointed that my FOmarl was almost outclassed by the males. In frustration I tried my best to utilize Grants and was successful. When I got my FOmarl to Lv100, I didn't like how my HUnewearl was the weakest of hunters, so I made a HUmar because he was called over and over the best offline soloer. Now present day, HUmar Lv70/FOmarl Lv100/RAcast Lv96. I'm happy.

[SPOILER-BOX]HUmar: Best offline solo character. Uses Shifta and Deband to reach higher stats than offline CASTs. If you aren't going to be playing online much, try making this guy

HUmarl: Same as above, but HUmarl has lower ATP/DEF/HP in exchange for higher EVP/ATA/MST/PP.

HUcast: Highest ATP/DFP/HP. If you play online with the HUcast, then you'll have the highest damage output. Even offline, he is unmatched with his Bulkiness.

HUcaseal: Same scenario as the HUmar/HUmarl

HUnewm: HUnewm is considered by many the Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none character. He has lower ATP than the other hunters, but has a crazy high MST and EVP stat and has a Natural PP Recovery. Natural recovery allows for infinite PA spamming, and that is what the HUnewm/newearl does best. Also, if you get this guy a Gigas Romulus, he outdamages EVERYONE with Double Sabers.

HUnewearl: Similar to HUnewm, except she has the highest MST, PP and EVP of all the hunters making her a prime choice for pretending to be a Force. Not really.. she has the strongest Resta of the Hunters. HUnewearls that run EVP builds are almost impossible to hit unless you're targeted with elemental attacks, in which case you'll have to roll. She has the lowest ATP, but isn't outdamaged by other hunters all that much. Her other stats more than make up for her below average ATP.

RAmar: Best offline solo Ranger if you use him right. We just finished a huge argument on this character, but the RAmar gets Jellen and Zalure which helps immensely especially if you're a beginner. Keep in mind that you may not want to have your first character as a Ranger.

RAmarl: Same as above, but the RAmarl does not have access to the Kepler Suit, which is the best defensive armor available to Rangers. She can use the Noble cloak and boast the highest EVP, but thats about it. The RAmarl is the weakest Physical character in the game and is not very popular amongst professionals. She does however make a good supporter when a Force isn't around...

RAcast: A similar dilema with the HUmar vs HUcast argument. Alot of items that a RAcast can use, a HUcast can use better. A RAcast will want to use weapons that are available only to rangers in order to be unique. If you play the RAcast online with a supportive Force, you'll be the most powerful Ranger in the game.

RAcaseal: Same as above, but loses access to the Kepler suit which is the best defensive armor available to Rangers. She has the highest Accuracy in the game which makes her much less reliant on finding weapons with the Accuracy Adjustment stat. She is slightly weaker than the RAcast, but is still stronger than the RAmar/l online.

FOmar: The FOmar gets a 20% boost to Foie, Zonde, and Barta and is the only Force with a 100% Resta. Unlike in PSO, the FOmar has the highest survivability of all Forces making him much less reliant on Dodge Roll. He is not as potent with Grants and Megid as the other 3 Forces are.

FOmarl: The FOmar gets a 30% boost to Grants and Resta. If you're going to play a FOmarl, you should try to find more uses for Grants if you want to overpower the other Forces. She has the highest Accuracy of all Forces in the game, which makes her a wonderful user of Magical Sign. Sometimes, you can run Heavy Attacks on an ACC ADJ Wand without worrying too much about mising.

FOnewm: The FOnewm is the best tech spammer in the game, getting a 15% boost to all techniques. Once again, Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none. Everything FOnewm can do can be outdone by another Force. He is without a doubt the best runner of the Eternal Tower in the game with his versatility. Speaking of versatility, he can run combonations of Zonde, Foie and Megid (Arca Plant) whereas if a FOnewearl or a FOmar were to do this, they would be outclassed by the FOnewm. However, FOnewm has a 25% reduction to Resta... but nobody has ever needed more than 500hp heals anyway.

FOnewearl: The FOnewearl gets a 30% boost to Megid and Resta and has the highest MST in the game... however she only hits hardest with one of the four techs just like the FOmarl. Coupled with natural recovery and high PP, she can tech spam much longer than the other 3 forces can. As a FOnewearl, you need to find situations where Megid would be a better attack to use. She can use Gimegid and Magical sign in tandem with eachother to get bonuses on each. However, be wary of her low accuracy.

[/SPOILER-BOX]

Nymeria
Dec 14, 2011, 05:53 PM
Fun replies so far, I enjoyed reading those! Thanks guys ~♥

@Eclipse5632
I like the idea that you chose three character types that seem to compliment each other well by offering playstyle variety. It's also cool that you're challenging yourself with one of the characters you made. I think I'll take your advice, I'll choose a random character type that I feel like starting with and then figure out how I want to play. Maybe I'll start with a character type that I wouldn't normally pick, so that I get to experience playing as that before committing to my final 3. :D

@Merm
That's a lot of info, thanks!! I'm gradually immersing myself in the terminology so I was able to follow what you wrote without pause fairly well. I figure if I can absorb enough info about the game and terminology now, I'll be able to just jump right in to the game when I have it. About a week ago it was more confusing (I was like, "what's a mag O_o"... ^.^).
I like your explanations about your aesthetic choices. I've considered going completely pink for one of my characters as well lol... There are so many characters that have appealing designs. I totally dig the FOmar's top hat. He's rather dapper. X'D The HUnewearl, FOmarl (thinking of making a very red one with her red hair showing..), and FOnewm look nice. At some point I also want to make some sort of Cast and name it Star Scream.. probably a HUcast but I do like the bulkiness of the RAcast. Decisions...
I have a lot to consider. This should make the wait to play this game more bearable. :3

@Tetris

I'm going to go look up PA next, because I'm not sure what that one stands for just yet. Those weapons sound like fun, I love stunning/slowing enemies. People playing with you online must love it when you stun stuff like that. How long does a stun/slowing effect last for generally? Not sure if you're familiar with Monster Hunter games but paralysis element was really useful and would last for a decent amount of time. I wonder how the duration compares in this game. :D

I'll definitely have to try some Forces out. Seeing the same attack animation all the time is a bit dull for me so this flexibility sounds appealing. Wings look great, I saw someone in a video wearing them. Sounds like your Seraphim-like character was nicely planned out. :3

haha looks like I got more replies while I was replying :D

I have to get going for now, so I'll reply back later or tomorrow. Thanks for your input!

Also, this might be a silly question but as I'm new here I was wondering what the rule is on double posting, and if it's considered a big offense or not? I've been on forums where it is and isn't. (When I edit my own posts sometimes my computer leaves html-garbage all over it, with Br and Pr and stuff)

DoctorShanks
Dec 14, 2011, 06:12 PM
Well, in my opinion, as long as the post afterwards has extra meaning to it and you're typing alot. That would be an OK double post in my opinion.

Anyway, I finished my brief analysis on each of the character types.

PlinderD
Dec 14, 2011, 06:15 PM
HUmar: Best offline solo character. Uses Shifta and Deband to reach higher stats than offline CASTs. If you aren't going to be playing online much, try making this guy

Deband isn't all that useful. HUmars can easily tank damage.

HUmarl: Same as above, but HUmarl has lower ATP/DEF/HP in exchange for higher EVP/ATA/MST/PP.

Miniscule difference.

HUcast: Highest ATP/DFP/HP. If you play online with the HUcast, then you'll have the highest damage output. Even offline, he is unmatched with his Bulkiness.

In Super Hard, the difference between the HUcast and HUmar's defensive stats aren't all that noticeable. When something is hitting you for 300+ damage, receiving 300 or very high 200's damage instead isn't going to matter much.

HUnewm: HUnewm is considered by many the Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none character. He has lower ATP than the other hunters, but has a crazy high MST and EVP stat and has a Natural PP Recovery. Natural recovery allows for infinite PA spamming, and that is what the HUnewm/newearl does best. Also, if you get this guy a Gigas Romulus, he outdamages EVERYONE with Double Sabers

The MST difference only leads to a slightly stronger Resta. Which is the only other tech that matters to HUmars and HUnewms other than Shifta.

The lower ATP isn't really all that noticeable with Shifta.

PP recovery is slow. You get better results with just spamming Fluids, which is something all Hunters, or characters, can do. All this means for the HUnewm is that you can probably (at a high level) leave Fluid usage to just going into the Menu and using Fluids from there.

HUmars and HUcasts would probably need to have Fluids as a Panel slot since they might need to use one in the middle of a battle.

As for Double Swords. While the Gigas Romulus is indeed the strongest Double Saber. It is also one of the rarest.

Other Double Sabers (which all Hunters can use) are far more common. And are easier to get better Percentages and Elements on. A Morgenlotte and Meherenka with good Element Level (Celeb) and %ages can easily outperform a Gigas Romulus with no Element and %ages.

Although given equal Celeb and %ages a Gigas Romulus wielded by a HUnewm will outdamage a Morgenlotte wielded by a HUcast.

RAmar: Best offline solo Ranger if you use him right. We just finished a huge argument on this character, but the RAmar gets Jellen and Zalure which helps immensely especially if you're a beginner. Keep in mind that you may not want to have your first character as a Ranger.

Easiest offline solo Ranger. Unlike the HUmar who can actually outperform the HUcast. The RAmar won't be able to outperfrom the RAcast.

At the hands of a skilled player a RAcast can outperform a RAmar.

RAcast: A similar dilema with the HUmar vs HUcast argument. Alot of items that a RAcast can use, a HUcast can use better. A RAcast will want to use weapons that are available only to rangers in order to be unique. If you play the RAcast online with a supportive Force, you'll be the most powerful Ranger in the game.

Not similar at all. HUmars can buff themselves instantly and the "target" is always there, seeing as you're targetting Shifta on yourself. RAmars need to charge a debuff and need to target it.

RAcaseal: Same as above, but loses access to the Kepler suit which is the best defensive armor available to Rangers. She has the highest Accuracy in the game which makes her much less reliant on finding weapons with the Accuracy Adjustment stat. She is slightly weaker than the RAcast, but is still stronger than the RAmar/l online.

Unless the player has horrible, horrible, horrible luck. Or you attempt the Shrine or Plant right away when you enter SH. Even a RAmar's ATA is enough for SH.

DoctorShanks
Dec 14, 2011, 06:24 PM
Okay, uhh... did we bring up bosses in the Solo ranger argument? I would rather have Jellen and Zalure on my side when fighting Dark Falz or any boss alone. RAfleshies are better bossers than RAclinks, but you MAY be right about the latter being better runners. They're about the same.

PlinderD
Dec 14, 2011, 06:41 PM
Easier not better.

All bosses have patterns that are mostly easy to abuse. Reyburn and C&M are probably the somewhat exception. Since Reyburn does damage while he's walking around and his tail swipe can come out almost instantly. Although as far as Rangers are concerned, that only matters for Triple Shot Spam, Earth Bullet, Cool Style, and Mine Sneak... any maybe that Bazooka PA but... honestly... Bazookas...

Or a Ranger that tries to do OE with a Hocho.

C&M is a problem because getting the most damage out of Chaos means following him around (against short range attacks) And that means exposing the character to damage.

But the rest of the bosses? All of their patterns are really easy to abuse. Octo Diablo is even easier for Rangers because it's easier to hit the weakspot of Tentacles of the second phase with a ranged weapon, Hunter can only deal overwhelming damage to tentacles after the twin "drill" attack.

Humilias's only real threat is his Panel attack which can deal Ice. But Ice/Protect solves that. Mother Trinity has a safe spot. Her attacks have huge cooldowns and animations. The Rook Piece is just absolutely pathetic. Dark Falz's only real danger is during the 2nd "phase" of the battle when he starts swimming around the stage. But the simple fact that he generates extra targets is just him asking players to kill him faster.

I've seen bosses with even far more ridiculous patterns in other Action games. And players can get through those without reducing the damage of bosses.

RAmars are easier. That's all they are. If the player doesn't want to exert the effort that comes naturally in games that have similar gameplay, then go right ahead and use a RAmar.

DoctorShanks
Dec 14, 2011, 07:36 PM
In my book, easier means the same thing as better. With or without Compress, Jellen and Zalure are no chore and last a very long time. If you do make a stupid mistake, and I'm sure you and I both do (especially at Humilias and C&M), you might just live with a bit of HP.

Humilias doesn't really use his panel attack if you hit him hard and fast enough. You can easily strike both of his legs using Earth Bullet and inflict enough damage as long as you're using Celeb.

Or a Ranger that tries to do OE with a Hocho.
Don't be silly... you might as well have made a hunter. I lol at Rangers that have to sink this low.

RAmars are easier. That's all they are. If the player doesn't want to exert the effort that comes naturally in games that have similar gameplay, then go right ahead and use a RAmar.
See the first sentence. I'm sure anyone playing offline will take this offer.

Anyway, I didn't mean to derail the thread. Are you going to be playing online or offline OP?

PlinderD
Dec 14, 2011, 07:46 PM
In your book. Here's the thing, even if I don't adapt a playstyle where I play at the best of my ability it doesn't mean that the RAcast stops being the best Ranger due to having the best output. All that means is that I can't play the RAcast to its true potential.

On the other hand when a player finally grows out of his comfort zone the RAmar stops being the best ranger because "how easy" something is played suddenly doesn't matter anymore. What does not change is that the RAmar is still the easiest Ranger.

Without any specific playstyle, the RAcast is the best. The only time the RAmar is better is if the player wants an easier Ranger to play.

And stupid mistakes are what Scape Dolls are for. Or Trimates. Or Dimates. Or Monomates.

Oh and that bit about damaging Humilias enough. Sure. Except here's the thing. Humilias moves around. He even has a back dash which puts him way out of range. And he can activate the panel attack almost instantly. Ice/Protect solves that.

As for the Hocho's OE it has decent damage that can outdamage lots of guns and their PA's. Especially considering Valley is a beginner map, so using a Hocho on Reyburn is a very real situation. And I can see how a Ranger who's optimizing their damage use a Hocho as a starter weapon for SH. It's certainly not a top class end game ultimate weapon. But not everyone starts SH with a Lavantein or Frigiand.

Some people have to actually farm for the stuff they use in SH. And given what drops in Hard Mode. Hocho can easily be considered a top class starter weapon because of OE.

And frankly, I don't see how saying the RAmar is the easiest solo Ranger and the RAcast is the best solo Ranger is not more accurate. I'd even add that the RAmar is much, much easier to play than the RAcast.

It leads to less misconceptions. Because anyone who isn't scared of taking damage would certainly appreciate the RAcast's ability to not have to waste time casting debuffs and deal better damage from the get go.

On the other hand saying RAmar is the best wouldn't be true for that type of player. But the RAmar being easier Ranger to play holds true for all types of players.

Nymeria
Dec 15, 2011, 11:20 AM
XD
Thanks you guys for being super helpful. This is more advice and debating than I expected to get with my first thread.

@PlinderD
I found the procession of characters you tried out to be a very interesting read. I've been suspecting that I'll probably enjoy Techs and it seems you did.

One thing that I'm curious about: If you delete a character to replace it with a new one, is there a way to keep the best weapons/armor/etc that you found with that character before you delete it? I vaguely think I remember reading somewhere that you can share items between your characters but I can't find that page anymore. Is this true, and is there a limit to what you can share/keep?

Also, thanks for mentioning that bit about the bosses, and how certain character types fare against those. Good to know this stuff. :)

@DoctorShanks
Tech spamming... I definitely have to try jumping into messing around with Techs. I'm getting really curious about the FOmarl character, and I want to make one myself. In what areas did you find that she was outclassed by the males specifically? Also, nub question here but what are Grants exactly, and how did you personally utilize them to your advantage in this circumstance? I can go look up Grants, so if you don't want to answer that part I'll understand.. ;)

I'm liking the idea of choosing a FOmarl, for looks (red dress ftw), buffing/healing/supporting the team, and being able to throw around strong spells and/or decent attacks. I'm not entirely sure if she can be played well with a mix of support/offense, but that would be ideal. I like to take care of my teammates. (I mostly have experience with this - as I mentioned before - from playing Monster Hunter games with random people and friends online. It has similar boss battle situations to what I've seen in PS0 so far, and I enjoy scarfing down Lifepowders to help keep the team healthy, or buffing them with a good Hunting Horn.)

Thank you as well for the analysis on character types that you wrote. It's very appreciated! ~♥

Don't worry about the debate derailing the thread, it stays on topic a good amount by continuing to be based on Character Types and their strengths and weaknesses. :3

Are you going to be playing online or offline OP?

I'm hoping to play both.
The main reason I found out about PS0 is because I was looking for another fun game to play on my long Train commutes to and from work. I've played my portable Monster Hunter games and Dragon Quest 9 to death at this point and wanted something with elements of both and maybe a new twist. PS0 fit, with Reyburn even resembling something between a Monoblos and a Rathalos battle a little... and I love the RNG map exploring and level grinding and weapon creating. I'll definitely be playing this solo on the Train a lot... but I'm hoping that I'll be able to connect online from home sometimes as well (if my internet connection and wifi router security permits). If not at home, maybe I can find a wifi hotspot somewhere.

Being able to solo the whole game is good, and it's helpful to know which characters might be easier to do this or more challenging. I'm pretty stubborn either way so I'm sure I'll make progress. X'D

@ALL
I'd love to join any of you online if I can get that working. I'll know shortly after Christmas. ^_^

DoctorShanks
Dec 15, 2011, 11:27 AM
Grants is the name of the Light spell in this game.

There are 7 areas: Gurhacia, Ozette, Rioh, Paru, Makara, Arca, and Shrine

I was able to utilize Celeb Magical Sign at Gurhacia and Paru. I was able to greatly utilize Grants at Makara (Along with Megid for the Purple Batts), Shrine (Entirity of part 2), and to a lesser extent, Arca (In conjunction with Zonde to hit everything for decent damage). The FOnewm can do Arca better, and both males do a better job and spamming Foie at Rioh, and spamming Foie/Zonde at Ozette. Those areas are crazy simple anyway, so all in all I'm glad I made a FOmarl. No regrets as I have found unique-ish uses for her at 5 of the 7 areas.

PlinderD
Dec 15, 2011, 04:16 PM
There's a Joint Trunk which can hold 100 items. And Meseta.

All Forces play the same way. The only difference really is that in certain cases one Force will do more damage than the rest. But essentially what strategy works best for one Force applies to the other three.

As for online, the Force's Shifta (Damage Buff) is by far one of the most essential things to an efficient run. It outclasses the Hunter's version of it, and Rangers and Cast Hunters don't have it. Zalure is another nice thing to have, but sparingly used. The reason here is that Forces can output a ridiculous amount of damage. They can easily match Hunters if not surpass them in a lot of occasions.

So the bonus damage from Zalure would have probably matched if not be less than the damage that Force would have done had he attacked instead of debuffed enemies.

The main drawback of Forces, that they rely a lot on PP (MP) is toned down by the fact that there are other characters who deal a decent amount of damage.

As far as buffing and healing goes, just get a feel of your party. The people I regularly ran with didn't need me to use the defense debuff or the enemy attack debuff at all. I only healed them inbetween battles. Since there are items in this game which restore 30, 60, 100% of a characters HP and are used instantly. I played with a JP player that played a HUcast who used items before I could heal him. And I remember playing with other people who simply refused to use items, and were spamming me for heals.

So yeah, just know your party. Shifta will always be welcome. The rest... well sometimes the best way to help your party is to just kill the stuff that's trying to kill them.

DoctorShanks
Dec 15, 2011, 04:19 PM
As my Force, I run Resta, Shifta, Zalure, and Jellen at all costs. The other two depend on what area you're playing at. All of the supportive Forces I've played with were the best forces I've played with.

PlinderD
Dec 15, 2011, 04:33 PM
Seeing as your own playstyle revolves around that, obviously a Force that accentuates it would be better.

The people I played with were fully capable of tackling enemies on their own. I could literally see enemies already dropping dead by the time I finish debuffing.

By the time Resta is charged, their HP is already full from them using their own items.

Not everyone is dependant on a Force to heal them. Nor is everyone dependant on the damage reduction of Jellen. Zalure might be handy but the fact that Forces can unleash a spell in roughly the time it takes to cast it makes it an inferior option to just killing enemies at times.

So yeah, in the end, knowing your party members is the best way to go. A supportive Force in a party of efficient well built and well played characters is just a step above a waste of a party slot. On the other hand an all out offensive Force would be detrimental to a party that isn't that well built or played.

DoctorShanks
Dec 15, 2011, 04:38 PM
I normally use Zalure for the fact that I spend less PP plowing through rooms, and I use Jellen because I'm more reliant on the acuracy drop rather than the attack drop. I usually get Zalure and Jellen up before any of my party members can even attack so I'm sure I'm not wasting time.

PlinderD
Dec 15, 2011, 04:56 PM
Other Forces can use Fluids to combat PP use.
Other players use Items to supplement manually dodging through rolling or positioning to combat damage

People can have charged Bite Stamp or even Serpent Air on their Celeb 4 Hadan Bite and will already be in range of an enemy. Of all the high end PA's only Over End will probably be the one that'll still be charging once all debuffs are used, but a properly built Over End (Shifta 11-15 + Celeb 3 with Element Boost and an ATP build) makes ridiculously short work of most mobs. Without Zalure.

And before you bring up bosses, they can be brought down in a minute or two without Zalure or even Flozir 3+ without Jellen or Resta.

The damage done by enemies in this game isn't as overwhelming as you make it out to be. Nor are their HP totals. And neither is the potential for damage of players, especially in a party of well built and equipped character. And healing items are useful. For all characters. Forces included.

If the people you play with refuse to use items because there's a Force in the party. Sure, use Resta and Jellen and Deband.

But that doesn't change how Monomates, Dimates and Trimates can be used long before Resta is charged up. Or how even Forces can stay in the front lines spamming Magical Sign without Deband on them or Jellen on enemies or someone else casting Resta and still not die.

Again Forces should custom tailor their support spells to the party performance. If you only play with one type of players who will never ever change their playstyle, go right ahead and stick to being a supportive Force.

But even with my limited capability to go online, I've encounted a varied selection of players on Freeplay who work better with different Force playstyles.

DoctorShanks
Dec 15, 2011, 05:19 PM
I debuff even in high power parties because I need something to do while the enemies are still spawning or while Humilias/Mother Trinity/Reyburn are in their invincible states.

As for healing, most people I play with have complimented me on my ability to heal them very well. I still advise them to use mates as a last resort just in case I'm in a position where I'm unable to heal them.

And now I'm going to bring up bosses. That minute or two can be reduced by 80% with Zalure. And I can survive a criss cross attack from Octo with Jelly.

Point made. I'm done arguing.

PlinderD
Dec 15, 2011, 05:41 PM
Charging GiMegid and releasing it when enemies spawn not only delivers a huge amount of damage but provides an incredible boost to PA's by bringing mobs closer together.

Mates are not the last resort. They can be used before Resta is charged. A Force that's charging Resta is a Force not hitting enemies with their Techs or PA's.

As for Octo's twin drill attack, it is incredibly obvious and can be easily moved away from. And as an added bonus, most PA's have better damage if released outside of the hitzone of that attack.

And the time it takes to kill bosses can even be reduced further with Flozir 3+, maybe you haven't noticed by I never said not to use Zalure in a boss fight. I was just stressing the point that Resta and Jellen aren't necessary at all for well built parties.

Norco
Dec 15, 2011, 06:12 PM
I started out as a HUnewm because of four reasons.
1. It is the only class that can use all Double Sabers
2. In the character the description I read it says it works well with melee and techniques
3. The newman story seemed most appealing
4. HUnewms look awesome

Now I just love Double Sabers I do not care if there are more effective weapons I use them anyway, nothing more to say there really. Yes, HUnewearl can also use all Double Sabers I know, however I only make male characters since I am male.

As for the character description it was a bit of a let down to be honest, while a HUnewm can switch to a force weapon and a mind mag and be effective with techniques (in certain areas only) it does not even compare to how much stronger and more effective they are in melee. I have personally tried a "FO-HUnewm" setup as I like to call it and it works in the Plant and Snowfields. While melee or guns are more effective it is still quite fun to try from time to time as a challange or a change in gameplay.

I found the newman story more fun then the human and cast storyline. While there is not much differece between them, it is how I felt before and after beating all three.

The HUnewm look is just a personal preference really, nothing more to say there xD

Sinue_v2
Dec 15, 2011, 08:03 PM
HUnewearl, who capped at 100 and is back up to 87 after recreating her.
My other two are a RAcaseal and FOmar who are both hovering around lvl 97.

Atbar
Dec 15, 2011, 08:52 PM
I switched around so much. I think I have played every character type to some extent in the two years I've owned PSZ.

Nick O'Demus
Dec 16, 2011, 10:32 PM
1st cart: RAmar (I'm from Texas, so this is a matter of principle), HUcast, & FOnewearl.
2nd cart (PS4-theme): FOmar (Rune), RAcast (Wren), & HUnewearl (Rika)

Nymeria
Dec 31, 2011, 10:50 PM
So I got this game for Christmas... :3

I ended up making first a HUmarl, then a FOmarl, and finally a HUnewearl. So far I love playing with the HUnewearl the most - I enjoy the looks of her (yay for purpley-bluish hair) and I like being able to spam resta and PA without worrying about running out of fluids, plus her high evasion and decent melee attack power are nice. At least while I'm still getting a feel for this game (camera controls, etc) this HUnewearl is for me. :3

Eventually I might play the other two some more, but I'm already thinking about possibly getting rid of the HUmarl for some other type. Maybe a Cast. I'm still tempted to play the FOmarl some more but at least at the beginning I found her more challenging to use. Probably my own beginners-clumsiness. Or lack of spells to teach her. XD

I'm only just past Paru in the offline story mode at this point. I welcome any tips on how to play my character better. :)

Chaos Rappy
Dec 31, 2011, 11:22 PM
As for tips to Nymeria: I would recommend keeping any Digrinders you find, and get the password weapon "Blade Cannon", as its a fairly powerful level 20 gunblade that, when fully grinded, outpowers any gunlade that isn't a higher-end 6* gunblade, and even comes standard with Earth Bullet, the best gunblade PA hands-down. I did this, and the game only got much easier as I progressed with it in hands. Gunblades really are the wild card in this game. :D

DoctorShanks
Dec 31, 2011, 11:43 PM
Might I recommend deleting that HUmarl for a HUcaseal or a RAcast instead? In my opinion, a HUmarl just feels alot like a weaker HUnewearl.

A RAcast would complete the trio and he has the highest ATP of all Ranger classes. You can make a RAcaseal if you prefer to play as girls, but she loses out on the Kepler suit which is a stupidly rare armor yet notable enough to make the RAcast an arguably superior choice even though the RAcaseal has the highest Accuracy in the game. A HUcaseal is like a HUcast but is a tad bit weaker in exchange for higher accuracy. I believe the HUcaseal has the highest accuracy of all the hunters. Or, you could make a FOnewm. The most flexible tech spammer known to man :)

You'll find that accuracy is very important in this game when a miss turns a 1hit KO into a 2hit KO (when it comes to PA's anyway).

Regarding your difficulty with the FOmarl, I had that same problem. You might find yourself blowing through your meseta very very fast because you don't have all to much at the beginning. It was part of the challenge in my opinion. I just completed the story with my old HUnewearl and gave about 100k in funds to my FOmarl. She succeeded. Also, make friends with Grants later on. It might be expensive now, but it your most powerful tech until you get to Super. Once you hit Super, Grants is only really useful at the Dark Shrine, Gurhacia, and Makara Ruins. Try to make friends with Magical Sign as well if you can find a Wand with that Photon Art. The FOmarl is the best user of Slicers and Magical Sign due to her having the highest accuracy of the Forces.

EDIT: By the way, don't bother with the RAmarl. You'll quickly regret your choice.

PlinderD
Jan 1, 2012, 04:30 AM
First get all the vending machine items. The Blade Cannon and Caudecus just overpowered. So grind those.

Don't bother with Attack Techs in Normal. They eat up so much PP and don't kill faster than a Caudecus. Don't bother with Attack Techs against normal enemies in Hard. For the same reason. The exception here is Megid. And only Level 6+ (preferrably 11+) The reason for this is the GiMegid + Rodeo Drive/Magical Sign combo. It kills ridiculously fast and doesn't empty your PP pool every room.

6+ is the minimum level for this to work properly because the vortex generated by GiMegid 1-5 has ridiculously slow drawing power. 6 is fine, but really 11-15 is the best.

Razonde should be your Tech of choice against every boss that isn't Mother Trinity. For MT normal attacking should be fine. The reason here is that Razonde can hit a boss multiple times and will jump between targets zones, and can hit each target zone more than once per cast.

Plus almost every boss resists Light way too much. The only exception is Reyburn (who resists Light a little less than Thunder, but thanks to Razonde's chain lightning effect you can easily output more damage with it) and Mother Trinity. Who has only has 2 target zones, and one of them is out of range most of the time.

Iin short Attack Techs only kill slightly faster than PA spam (until you get a good Alice Olivia then they're just outclassed) but cost way more PP. And even in Super Hard they still don't match the effectiveness of GiMegid + Magical Sign/Rodeo Drive/Flame Hit (yes that's right an ATP PA can outperform Techs, although only in one area)

And no the FOmarl isn't the best user of Magical Sign. Because FOnewearls only need a tiny bit of accuracy to supplement it. And any decent user of Magical Sign will combine it with GiMegid. Actually, ANY kind of Force, PA or Tech Spam, should use GiMegid. It boosts the effectiveness of AoE moves a lot because it draws all enemies in the room in range of your PA or any of your AoE moves. And the damage bonus of a FOnewearl from GiMegid will outweight whatever a FOmarl can bring due to having higher ATA.

If you want to be efficient about it don't bother with Forces at first. They're so much better as secondary characters. Because that way you can give them an ATP MAG and ATP units then the Taxion Gun with Level 5 X synthesized and go to town on Normal Quests. Should give them enough levels to equip whatever good Wand or Rod with Magical Sign or Rodeo Drive as well as a stash of Tech Disks that your first character farmed.

DoctorShanks
Jan 1, 2012, 01:02 PM
I've never used Gimegid to lure in anything. I'll try it, but Magical Sign has a good enough Range in my opinion and casting Gimegid would be a waste of time. And according to you, time is everything. Ask my friends, I've never used Gimegid outside of the Dark Shrine.

-FOmarl: Higher defenses and HP to let her take hits better while using Magical Sign if she does get hit.
-FOnewearl: 30% higher damage with Gimegid to hit a single enemy with then Magical Sign with a whole 7 MST more.

And when taking into account single enemies, such as Frunakeds, my FOmarl can spam a 3 chain of Heavy Attacks >Magical Sign which definetly out-DPSes Magical Sign spam. I'm absolutely positive that the FOmarls extra 43 ATA makes that possible (That and her 40 Accuracy adjust Alice Olivia).

Sp-24
Jan 1, 2012, 01:23 PM
Don't start that again. Blueberry knew what she was talking about, and explained it to him quite thoroughly, so now he has everything to refute your point. Gimegid + Magical Sign really is a very effective combo, if not the best for Forces.

PlinderD
Jan 1, 2012, 05:39 PM
Oh for god sakes, since when is damage to single enemies so important in this game?

It's rare that players encounter an enemy all by itself. Large Hostiles are usually accompanied by another large hostiles or 1-2 small hostiles. The only time single damage is a huge priority is in the boss rooms of Rioh and Makara, since GiMegid's vortex effect doesn't work in boss rooms.

But that's what Flame Hit with it's Heat effect is for.

Also defensive stats don't matter to Forces. The only thing they need to have is enough DFP and HP to not die in a single hit or a barrage of hits where they can't get Resta inbetween. FOnwearls have that, once they or any Force are able to cast Resta their HP is full again.

Forces are the sturdiest characters in this game to anyone who doesn't suck at using them.

Reksanden
Jan 1, 2012, 05:41 PM
Well, my two are HUcasts and FOmars. I love being a melee DPS and healing, but it's kinda tough to be both at the same time. So I split the roles into two seperate ones.

Norco
Jan 1, 2012, 06:14 PM
@GiMegid topic: Imo the best place to use this technique (outside Shrine) is at makara ruins mid room. Since it pulls all the Rumole which is underground to one place. This way they will all get up at the same spot, at the same time and everyone can just charge their PAs while waiting of the force to group them up.

A lot easier then having to walk up to all of them to have them come up, which is why I think this tactic very effective and relaxing for the entire party ^_^

Either way please do not start another heated discussion >_>

Sp-24
Jan 1, 2012, 06:17 PM
This is the end to it: Link (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=170869). Explains too much if you ask me.

PlinderD
Jan 1, 2012, 06:26 PM
Just to give an example how effective GiMegid is. This is something that commonly happens in Plant. I enter a room, 2 Korses spawn on each side of the room. There's no Akorse, so they won't cluster together. I cast GiMegid between the two groups of Korses then use Magical Sign.

MS hits 3 out of the 4 Korses. I charge it up again and 3 Korses die, 1 is left with a small amount of HP. And that lone Korse is floating right infront of me.

Without GiMegid I would have needed to run to one side of the room, kill the Korses there then run to the other side and kill Korses there.

Here's another example, in Paru, a Froutang spawns along with a Ishirak.

The Ishirak glides away, but when I cast GiMegid near the Froutang (who also gets damaged by the way) the Ishirak gets drawn to it that by the time I use MS I hit both the Ishirak and Froutang

In Rioh, those lynx type enemies spawn, they're spread across the room, and they start to do the circling animation, meaning they won't run towards me. I cast GiMegid they get drawn straight to me and I use MS, it hits all of them.

Here's a multiplayer example, in one of my runs in Valley, I have my HUcast, my two party members are a FOnewm and HUmar.

4 enemies spawn across the room in , I charge Bite Stamp and the HUmar charges Air Ride. FOnewm charges GiMegid. Without GiMegid we could only hit 1-2 enemies due to how enemies spawned. But the FOnewm casts GiMegid and when we release our PA's, Bite Stamp, Air Ride, and Magical Sign all hit all of the 4 enemies. All of them die. The same thing happens with the next group, except I think one Ghowl survived since it spawned across a gap. Still this situation repeats itself in almost every room in every area.

Also what really matters about GiMegid is the vortex the damage is inconsequential. Just as inconsequential as the FOmarl's higher ATA. GiMegid draws enemies in so when MS is used it hits more enemies than it would have had it not been setup with GiMegid. It just so happens that a FOnewearl's GiMegid deals more damage than a FOmarl's and that the total damage from a FOnwearl's GiMegid + MS surpasses the total damage of a FOmarl's GiMegid + MS + extra damage from having to not devote MAG MST to ATA.

Also I've read that topic and it the discussion was headed in the wrong direction. They were comparing GiMegid+MS vs Over End on a single enemy. GiMegid is about gathering every enemy up in a room so PA's can hit all of them. Using GiMegid optimally sometimes means casting it at a point where it doesn't deal maximum damage.

DoctorShanks
Jan 1, 2012, 08:20 PM
Okay, I'm done. Lets cut it here by saying: All of your posts explain how to play a FOnewearl/FOnewm, and all of my posts explain how to play a FOmar/FOmarl when it comes to MS.

Also, what I meant about singular enemies was this:

>Froutang spawns with 2 Pobomas
>Magical sign kills Pobomas. 2 MS are required online on Play Alone. (1 MS are usually required if partners online are powerful enough *CoughNorcoCough*)
>Froutang is still alive.
>Proceed to spam Heavy Attack until dead. After a 3-chain, use MS again. (Robs chains when with partners and inflicts crazy damage)

You do it your way, but the FOnewearl probably needs a mag with hybrid ATA/MST to do it my way.

PlinderD
Jan 1, 2012, 08:27 PM
Last time I played a FOmarl and FOmar, their GiMegid has the same sucking power as a FOnewm and FOnewearl. And MS, Rodeo Drive, and just about every attack I tested has the same AoE no matter which Force or, for that matter, which class I tested it on.

FOmarls and FOmars will hit more enemies with MS if they set it up with GiMegid

Or to put it another way a FOmarl that opens with GiMegid will deal more damage simply because she'll hit more enemies.

It's that simple. It has nothing to do with FOnewms and FOnewearls using GiMegid because they have bonuses to the damage. It's about GiMegid pulling more enemies into range of Magical Sign

That doesn't change no matter if the player is using a FOmar, a FOnewm, a FOmarl, or a FOnewearl. GiMegid works the same way.

Also getting a new MAG is so ridiculously simple. By the time I finished running all Normal Story Quests, and all Hard Quests, I had 3 MAGs ready. And enough cash to make 2 new MAGs.

Sp-24
Jan 1, 2012, 08:34 PM
Also I've read that topic and it the discussion was headed in the wrong direction. They were comparing GiMegid+MS vs Over End on a single enemy.Let me cut it, then. In case somebody believes the above: Blueberry in that topic says that GiMegid is the best technique in the game, and certain someone immediately jumps in claiming that Foie easily outdamages it. The conversation goes on for 8 pages, and only one of two people doesn't just make up theories from thin air while teaching everybody else how to properly play the game - as you can find out by reading the spoiler on page 9. Compare that person's manner of conducting debate and Blueberry's words to a more recent event for a dramatic revelation.

Frankly, I'm tired of your shenanigans already.

PlinderD
Jan 1, 2012, 08:36 PM
Except that's not what's being discussed in this topic.

GiMegid's utility is the vortex. Damage is a bonus on top of that. The only time the actual damage of GiMegid matters as far as this discussion is concerned is when comparing the FOmarl's GiMegid+MS vs the FOnewearl's GiMegid+MS.

And the discussion in the topic is clearly about single target damage, which I've pretty much implied is secondary to AoE damage. Especially in Super Hard.

And apparently you have a personal beef with Paromin that you think everyone who plays efficiently is him. There's a PM system which you apparently know how to use. Go use it.

Norco
Jan 1, 2012, 09:21 PM
Okay, I'm done. Lets cut it here by saying: All of your posts explain how to play a FOnewearl/FOnewm, and all of my posts explain how to play a FOmar/FOmarl when it comes to MS.

Also, what I meant about singular enemies was this:

>Froutang spawns with 2 Pobomas
>Magical sign kills Pobomas. 2 MS are required online on Play Alone. (1 MS are usually required if partners online are powerful enough *CoughNorcoCough*)
>Froutang is still alive.
>Proceed to spam Heavy Attack until dead. After a 3-chain, use MS again. (Robs chains when with partners and inflicts crazy damage)

You do it your way, but the FOnewearl probably needs a mag with hybrid ATA/MST to do it my way.
The text which I made bold really made my day, seriously ^_^

Taijutsu-Joshua
Jan 1, 2012, 10:48 PM
HUnewm: HUnewm is considered by many the Jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none character. He has lower ATP than the other hunters, but has a crazy high MST and EVP stat and has a Natural PP Recovery. Natural recovery allows for infinite PA spamming, and that is what the HUnewm/newearl does best. Also, if you get this guy a Gigas Romulus, he outdamages EVERYONE with Double Sabers

Yesh.

DoctorShanks
Jan 1, 2012, 11:28 PM
I said I would try Gimegid, and I did. Let me give you my mini report:

Gurhacia Valley: I open with Alzalure, then immediately begin charging Gimegid. After a single cast, it brought everything into range. However, oddly shaped rooms did not allow the vortex to do its job. I give it a good rating here. However, Helions like to charge directly towards me. With Helion spawns, I open with Zalure then Jellen, and proceed to MS with little care for the other spawns. Helions can't hit me anyway, so I jump around a little with them till they die. Every other spawn that didn't already group up close to me upon spawn was greatly affected by Gimegid. Of the 9 possible rooms, I used Gimegid 4 times. 3/5

Paru: With the abundance of non-spherical rooms and laser firing robots, Gimegid was such a pain in the ass to use because the Izharaks would just drive away. Instead, I lead off with Zalure, then went straight for the bots throat. When the bot dies after 2 or 3 Magical Signs, everything else already gathered to me or my partners finished them off. I only used Gimegid 3 times. The only time is was useful was when two Froutangs spawned on opposite sides of the map in a square shaped room. 1/5

I just tech spam every other area.

I'll stick with my Alzalure>Magical Sign>Magical Sign and Alzalure>Aljellen>Magical Sign>3x Heavy>Magical Sign/3x Heavy

PlinderD
Jan 1, 2012, 11:54 PM
I have no idea how you can't damage Ishiraks after GiMegid draws them, especially when Magical Sign finishes charging even before the vortex disappears.

Also when you cast GiMegid on an enemy instead of at an empty spot in the field, it gets held in place for the duration of the spell. Which by the way could have been achieved much quicker if you didn't waste time casting Alzalure.

If you're going to use words like "BEST" and "BETTER" the least you could do is play optimally.

DoctorShanks
Jan 2, 2012, 12:29 AM
If you're going to use words like "BEST" and "BETTER" the least you could do is play optimally.

Geez... all I'm getting from you is "If you aren't playing my way, them you aren't playing the right way." You're the only one I've spoken to who disagrees with my and probably everyone else's playstyle. And with about 50 or so compliments against one on my supportive playstyle...

Enter room>Kill stuff>Open Chest>Get Monomates>Win Game>Next room. If you do all of that before Shifta and Deband run dry, then the playstyle is good.

I give up on this thread. It's been derailed and sent off the edge of the Earth. I'd request a lock if I had the right to do so. This thread seems to have served its purpose about 3 pages ago. Goodnight.

PlinderD
Jan 2, 2012, 12:32 AM
Given that you're promoting your playstyle with the words like "best" and "better", you weren't expecting it be discussed?

This isn't about what playstyle is good. It stopped being that the moment you post stuff like HUmar is the BEST, FOmarl is BETTER etc.. etc...

DoctorShanks
Jan 2, 2012, 12:50 AM
Final note before I put you on my ignore list for everyone else's sake:

-Finish my sentences please. The HUmar/l sucks online. S/He is the best offline soloer (and is probably tied with the HUnewearl).
-The FOmarl is a better Grants user and perhaps the better Wand user just because she can use Heavy Attacks with little worry of missing (well, thats with my 40% Acc AO). The damage from Gimegid is just as unimportant as the higher Accuracy on the FOmarl. What are we fighting about again?

And you're the only one who has ever discussed my playstyle(s). I'm only repeating quotes and saying things about characters based on their stats and bonuses. Haven't I said something good and true about each character type? I've promoted my playstyle on Forces because it works. See that Win Game timeline that I posted.

PlinderD
Jan 2, 2012, 01:04 AM
Something that works, and something that's best are leagues apart.

Best offline soloer, because of what again? Oh right, Resta, Shifta, and Deband. RAmar is the best Ranger solo because of Zalure and Jellen. All of that is part of playstyle.

Being a better user of Magical Sign is not just about MST and ATA, it's about everything a Force can do to supplement it. GiMegid included Everything is a factor when it comes to what's best or better at anything in games like this. Playstyle being just as important as raw stats if not far more important

Want me to finish your sentences? How about I direct you to your own topic about character builds, where you toss around the word "best" and "better" then immediately follow it up with you saying how to play the class.

If you're going to run calling something the "best" then tell people how to play the class, that's the pretty much the same thing as promoting that playstyle to be better than most.

Nymeria
Jan 2, 2012, 11:58 AM
Oh wow... first off, thanks for the replies. They were interesting to read through and give me some points to consider when choosing my other two characters. Also, I hope this thread might remain open so that other people new to this site might also add which characters they chose if they'd like to - but I'll let mods decide of course.

@Chaosmaster00
Thanks for the tip about the Blade Cannon! I looked it up and love the design of it, and I'm getting closer to level 20 so this is perfect. I was wondering, is there a limit to what you can get from the password machine? I haven't been able to locate this info just yet (though I'll edit this post if I do find my own answer ^.^). I haven't typed anything into the password machine yet because I was concerned that I'd choose something and then find out that I should have chosen something else and lost my chance. I think I may have read somewhere about some of the mag types being a one-time password machine thing? Any light shed on this machine is greatly appreciated. ♥

@DoctorShanks
Thank you for the suggestions! I'm considering those Casts. I'm going to look into pros and cons for each one and try them out for myself as well. Looks seem to count a good deal for me in this game so maybe the style or animation of one of the Casts will win me over, heh... Accuracy is definitely something I'll keep in mind, I don't like seeing "miss" on the screen too much. As for prefering to play female characters, sometimes I do because so many of my video games growing up only offered male characters. It's nice to be able to play a female sometimes in the newer games. If the male characters have more to offer stats-wise then I will consider them as well. The Kepler suit sounds nice though I'll likely never find it... but if I do it would be nice to have two perks to choosing RAcast over RAcaseal (higher attack and a special armor vs only higher accuracy if I choose the female).
A shame that RAmarl doesn't seem to have much to offer compared to others. Her uniform is cute :3

@PlinderD
That does make sense, to raise a Force as a second or third character rather than first, since I'll have collected nice weapons and spells by the time I play my FO. Is there a list somewhere of which bosses resist which elements, and by how much? Is that how you found out about Reyburn resisting Light a little less than Thunder? I've been trying to find a chart that displays this, maybe a more simplified version of how Monster Hunter has this: http://monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Alatreon
Which in this example goes into great detail with which elements the monster is weakest to on the ground vs in the air, and the weak spots for cutting vs impact damage. I don't need one so detailed but a simpler one with element weaknesses of each boss might be great. :)

@all: The trickiest thing about this character decision is that I think I'm aiming for having Cast, a Newman and a Human so that I can play through all three slightly varying storylines. Now that I've already grabbed a Newman Hunter that only leaves Cast and Human, and only FO and RA if I want one of each. So I could go HUnewearl/FOmarl/RAcast I guess, or I could just double up on hunters with HUnewearl/HUcaseal/FOmarl leaving RA out of it completely... or double up on both HU and Newmans if I decide that I want a FO Newman as my third character....... I kind of like Newmans at this point, but for now I still like my FOmarl as well. ^^;

Thanks, everyone, for the replies! :D

Eclipse5632
Jan 2, 2012, 12:13 PM
You can get everything the password machine offers, but you can only enter a given password once per cartridge.

Also, take a look at this thread: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189889

Nymeria
Jan 2, 2012, 12:27 PM
You can get everything the password machine offers, but you can only enter a given password once per cartridge.

Also, take a look at this thread: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=189889

Ah! That's perfect thanks very much Eclipse :D

DoctorShanks
Jan 2, 2012, 12:58 PM
Yup, the RAcaseal is very cute ^^

Around these parts, there may be more 4-slot Kepler Suits then there are RAcasts or RAmars. You'd have to check the trade threads. If you're lucky, a kind soul might hand you one for free (ask someone who visits the SH ET often). If you use a special gun that combos with the Kepler Suit, you'll get a 25 Accuracy/50 Evasion bonus which makes this guy even greater than the RAcaseal in pretty much every stat now except for PP. The only real problem is that those guns aren't so great without the Life or Celeb Element and are outclassed by the 7* customizables (Rouge Pulse, Crimson Vis, etc) without them.

The possibility for the RAcaseal to be put out of the job exists. But no matter which gender you choose, you can always change your mind later. I still recommend the RAcast for his crazy high ATP and Kepler Suit possibility. If you like Mechguns though, the boost of ATA that the RAcaseal gives is a huge plus. Then again, Accuracy problems can be fixed through mags. My RAcast has a 50/50 mag and uses it with a 30% accuracy Crimson Vis with few problems.

I think I can safely announce now that the RAcaseal is the best Mechgun user in the game. I say that with no fear of enntering another argument ;)

Merm
Jan 2, 2012, 01:04 PM
@OP: Yes, the RAmarl has one of the best designs, all's more the pity! ):

And yes, Newman love is awesome. :'D TBH, I didn't think the story was very strong. The underlying concepts are the same, and the variations aren't very impact-ful anyway.

After playing the game for awhile, what playstyle do you like best? It'll help suggest a third character for you.
If you like the PA-spamming and bottomless PP of the HUnewearl, that's something quite unique to the Newman Hunters actually. XD But for a character that can do both Melee and Techs effectively, FOmars and FOmarls are pretty good.

If shooting things to swiss cheese with rifles isn't your thing, then you might want to give the RA a pass altogether.

DoctorShanks
Jan 2, 2012, 01:24 PM
Pretty much what Merm says. The HUnewearl can do a decent RA job herself with the Rouge Pulse and the Neidaryl. Making a second Force wouldn't be such a bad idea as all Forces excel in one area or another (you can see their bonuses in the guides section). If you want to make a second Hunter, the HUcast/caseal both get to use the Lavatienn which is the best customizable Rifle in the game, almost putting the CAST rangers completely out of business. Thry also get a nice selection of RA weapons.

Dragwind
Jan 2, 2012, 03:10 PM
Hi there! I'm new around here, but I'm very interested in becoming a part of this community as I'm going to get Phantasy Star Zero for Christmas and I'm pretty excited about that. :3

I'm curious to know which Character Types you guys chose to play, since there are only 3 save slots and 14 different characters to choose from.

Also, did you choose these based on their strengths/roles or for aesthetic reasons? What made you decide on these three Character Types specifically?

That's all for now. I'm looking forward to reading through responses! Any tips/opinions/advice are appreciated because I'm going to have a hard time deciding which characters to choose when I have this game. ^.^

Thanks for reading this!

^As a reminder

Let's keep this thread on-topic guys. It's easy to debate opinions back and forth, but let's not attack each other's reasons for their character choices.

Save the strategic gameplay discussion for their appropriate threads please.

Nymeria
Jan 3, 2012, 11:39 AM
After playing the game for awhile, what playstyle do you like best? It'll help suggest a third character for you.
If you like the PA-spamming and bottomless PP of the HUnewearl, that's something quite unique to the Newman Hunters actually. XD But for a character that can do both Melee and Techs effectively, FOmars and FOmarls are pretty good.

If shooting things to swiss cheese with rifles isn't your thing, then you might want to give the RA a pass altogether.

Thanks, I appreciate the help ^_^

I think I really do enjoy the bottomless PP of the HUnewearl... if I didn't have it I think I might blow through my fluids way too fast, and need to re-stock often. That could waste $$ and/or time, since if I run out during an online wifi run that probably wouldn't be very good.. I haven't attempted to warp back to the town in the middle of an online run yet, not too sure that would be appreciated ^^;

I enjoy the freedom of spamming support spells and PA when I feel like it, and as a HUnewearl I find that at least so far I regenerate naturally fast enough to keep up with the PP consumption, or it at least saves on some fluids compared to not regenerating PP at all. If I play a non-Newman Force I'll be looking into adding PP-regenerating items into my armor slots. I don't think I've found any of these yet, are they rare?

Shooting things to swiss cheese with rifles sounds fun, but in practice I'm not sure this would be for me. So far I've only messed with guns that force me to stand still while I shoot and I don't like them too much. Unless I find a gun type that I really like I might just pass over the Ranger class.. I'm enjoying my new Blade Cannon (the one from the vending machine) but I only ever use the melee attacks and spam Earth Bullet. Is there a gun class that allows you to run around as you shoot while still being powerful enough?

I think I want to make a CAST next, so probably either a HUcast or HUcaseal. Maybe I'll give the RA cast a try first, just to say I did ;)

Pretty much what Merm says. The HUnewearl can do a decent RA job herself with the Rouge Pulse and the Neidaryl. Making a second Force wouldn't be such a bad idea as all Forces excel in one area or another (you can see their bonuses in the guides section). If you want to make a second Hunter, the HUcast/caseal both get to use the Lavatienn which is the best customizable Rifle in the game, almost putting the CAST rangers completely out of business. Thry also get a nice selection of RA weapons.

Is there a decent handgun aside from the Rouge Pulse that I might be able to try out earlier? iirc Handguns are one of the guns that allow you to strafe while you shoot.. I'd like to try that with my HUnewearl and see if I'm any good at it. Or I guess I could just give her a mediocre handgun and run through an easier area with it, to try it.. XD Either way, strafing-while-shooting guns interest me. If my HUney can do a decent job as a RA substitute when the mood takes me, all the better ^_^

Merm
Jan 3, 2012, 12:35 PM
I don't think PP regeneration units are too rare, though maybe the ones that actually make a difference in regeneration are. My RAcaseal found a Lvl 1 one when she was doing Story mode on normal.

Handguns give a lot of mobility even without strafe shooting. They fire shots off really quickly, so you can reposition yourself easily after one combo. My HUnewm used one in the final boss fight, so he could run away a lot like the sexy wimp he truly is.

That said, the HUcasts and HUcaseals have selection to quite a large amount of ranged weapons themselves, and their ATP and ATA is high enough to do a Ranger's job, with more potential to beat stuff in with a wide array of beat sticks.

When it came down to that, then you might let aesthetics guide you again. After all, you ARE going to be staring at that character's butt for countless hours.

...And because they aren't Newmans, I can't help you make that choice. Sorry bro. :'D I like the Lolibot though. And the HUcaseal and HUcast look badass.

Eclipse5632
Jan 3, 2012, 01:46 PM
I don't think PP regeneration units are too rare, though maybe the ones that actually make a difference in regeneration are.
This.
I don't remember exactly how much each level does, but PP Recov Lv 5 (the highest one) is pretty rare. It only drops from a rare enemy in the Dark Shrine on Super Hard. D=

Nick O'Demus
Jan 3, 2012, 01:58 PM
I don't remember exactly how much each level does, but PP Recov Lv 5 (the highest one) is pretty rare. It only drops from a rare enemy in the Dark Shrine on Super Hard. D=

Level 5 does 5 PP, Level 4 does 4 PP, etc.

The level 5's ARE pretty rare, but I've got a few extras of the level 4's that I can give away to anyone who wants one.

Nymeria
Jan 3, 2012, 02:22 PM
Ah, thanks for the info guys! ~♥

Level 5 does 5 PP, Level 4 does 4 PP, etc.

The level 5's ARE pretty rare, but I've got a few extras of the level 4's that I can give away to anyone who wants one.

omg you're so generous ^.^

Slidikins
Jan 3, 2012, 02:50 PM
Let's keep this thread on-topic guys.As a few people know from my other thread, I chose HUcaseal for my first character. CASTs generally have an easier learning curve due to not having Techs and HUcaseal was always my favorite cast (replacing HUcast from the DC days).

My gf, who also plays on the cartridge, chose HUmarl for her character. That put two Hunters on the cart, so I wanted the last one to be a Force to break the monotony... and also a Newman to round out the races... and a male to round out the sexes...

So I ended up with a FOnewm that I haven't tried yet.

Chaos Rappy
Jan 3, 2012, 07:22 PM
Fonewms are awesome. High Newman MST, natural PP regen, and a bonus in damage with ALL ATTACK TECHNIQUES (although also has a downshift in Resta effectiveness, be aware of this). I recommend finding and saving some attack techs for him with your other character if you wanna start him properly, unlike me (I jumped into this at release with FOnewm, hardest character to start with, I'll say that much, but it was best for me, since the initial challenge was a blast). I would say to also find yourself some 3- or 4-slot White / Shield Robes for them, so they can switch out for them when they get to their respective levels and be able to completely own Normal as they progress hrough their story mode. I would also recommend a Pizza Box, but I know you're barely started into this and probably don't have one, let alone the 99 grinders needed to MAKE it awesome, AND EVEN STILL be able to get one for each character and be fully grinded for full effect, but as for that, I can give you one or two that I'm not using. ;P

PlinderD
Jan 3, 2012, 08:49 PM
When I played a FOnewm and FOmar, their Resta was more than up to par.

This misconception about male Force Resta being subpar to female Force Resta is mostly pointless. Forces have more than enough MST to boost their Resta more than needed.

Chaos Rappy
Jan 3, 2012, 08:57 PM
Oh no, you mistake facts. I was merely interjecting how male Newman Forces take a penalty to their Resta effectiveness compared to every other Force, who either has NO effect on their Resta (FOmars) or has an increased effectiveness in its use (FOmarls and FOnewearls). While I'll admit that, once fully grown and at his maxed potential, a FOnewm can heal sufficiently enough to still be able to play a support role for heals when NEEDED, the fact remains, his Restas will never heal the same as any other Force under the same circumstances.

PlinderD
Jan 3, 2012, 09:01 PM
Effectiveness is about efficiency. Not raw numbers.

If the highest amount of HP is 999 it doesn't matter if someone can heal 1000 or 2000. FOnewms and FOmars only need something as common as Tech Disks to keep up with FOnewearls and FOmarls.

Chaos Rappy
Jan 3, 2012, 09:07 PM
Considering the highest amount of HP is 1142, yes, is does matter if you can heal over 1000 when the max HP is still beyond that, however subtracting the four Divine/HP's being used to make such because I know you elitists would NEVER consider opting for fun if it meant you had to hit an enemy one more time than otherwise, making the true useful max HP 1042 with a maxed HP matted HUcast at level 100, who once again classified by elitist spouts is useless, so going back to the "ultimate effectiveness" of his bare level 100 HP of 882, it does matter to be able to heal a lot sometimes. :/

And even then, a FOnewm (the one I used, in particular) still couldn't heal over ~550-600 HP with maxed MST, mats, mag, and P-Wand. It's a pretty big difference in comparison to these Lv100 FOmarls and FOnewearls I've seen who CAN ALMOST be able to fully heal a fully-matted pure HP-built HUcast. A 25% reduction compared to a 25% INCREASE is a pretty big deal when you consider just how much of a difference we're talking about with such high MST's between the Force characters.

Just as a reference, I find no cost in efficiency when both/all the appropriately mentioned Forces are opting for full MST builds anyways. I can't see how it can be more effective any way imagineable to do it, however I find it hilarious you must bring up pointless situations when I am merely stating facts for references for other peoples' attention for character consideration.

PlinderD
Jan 3, 2012, 09:40 PM
Wow amazing how you negate your own point.

So it's elitist to think that requiring one more hit to kill stuff is subpar, but somehow it isn't when it comes to healing a build that no one really uses for an amount of HP that's practically negligible given the already high base HP a Force Resta already provides?

You even ramble on in another topic about how a HUnewearl can support a group. A HUnewearl who isn't using anything extra over a regular ATP build other than 64 more PP. How much does a Level 100 HUnewearl heal with her Level 10 Resta and 377 MST with no Resta Bonus?

I'm pretty certain it still falls short of a FOmar's Resta.

Seriously can't you people just be objective about numbers? Tossing in VAGUE terms like effectiveness to pad up something as simple as "FOnewm resta doesn't have the 30% boost that FOnewearls get with Resta or FOnewms deal a bonus 10% damage with all damage techs" is far more descriptive. Instead of some random set of words that can easily be misinterpretted by anyone who hasn't progressed far into the game.

People can make up their own damn minds from that. Especially after they play the game and can decide if 30% more of what a FOmar or FOnewm heals is actually worth it or not. Because for a bunch (if not ALL) players a FOmar and FOnewm's Resta is more than enough to keep them going. Especially if you're going to mouth off about supportive Forces, who I assume spam Jellen 11-15 in every room, which more than enough to allow people to be lazy.

Nymeria
Jan 4, 2012, 11:29 AM
Fonewms are awesome. High Newman MST, natural PP regen, and a bonus in damage with ALL ATTACK TECHNIQUES (although also has a downshift in Resta effectiveness, be aware of this). I recommend finding and saving some attack techs for him with your other character if you wanna start him properly, unlike me (I jumped into this at release with FOnewm, hardest character to start with, I'll say that much, but it was best for me, since the initial challenge was a blast). I would say to also find yourself some 3- or 4-slot White / Shield Robes for them, so they can switch out for them when they get to their respective levels and be able to completely own Normal as they progress hrough their story mode. I would also recommend a Pizza Box, but I know you're barely started into this and probably don't have one, let alone the 99 grinders needed to MAKE it awesome, AND EVEN STILL be able to get one for each character and be fully grinded for full effect, but as for that, I can give you one or two that I'm not using. ;P

hehehee Pizza Box sounds epic. I haven't seen one yet. If you have a spare slice and aren't hungry for it I wouldn't object to trying it out ;D Just sayin'

Crazyleo
Jan 4, 2012, 02:01 PM
When I first got the game, my first character was a Racast. However, due to the damage output was somewhat underwhelming at best, I've decided to try something out of the ball park; I've decided to make a Fomar.

With that decision, I've had a blast with the class. I've decided immediately upon creating the character that my play style will be heavy on slicer for damage and using Resta + Shifta/Deband as my primary spells.

Too bad I don't have a DS anymore. ^^;

Clavat99
Jan 4, 2012, 02:03 PM
RAcasts dont deal alot of damage untill they hit level 30+ thats when their stats start hiting where dps is noticeable.

Chaos Rappy
Jan 4, 2012, 08:20 PM
hehehee Pizza Box sounds epic. I haven't seen one yet. If you have a spare slice and aren't hungry for it I wouldn't object to trying it out ;D Just sayin'

Awesome, it just so happens I have a spare I CAN give now, since I'm about to hit the level my FOmarl can use Noble Cloak anyways and so she won't need hers; if you catch me online again later, hit me up, I'd be more than happy to give you it. ^_^

Dragwind
Jan 4, 2012, 09:30 PM
It seems inevitable that this thread would become a "who's better than who" thread which wasn't the purpose. Since it has achieved it's purpose, it has run it's course.