PDA

View Full Version : A way to promote PSO 2 to be localized?

ShadowInferno119
Dec 15, 2011, 03:49 AM
Hi all! Its been a long long time since I've been to the PSO-World website.

I've stopped by a few times to watch a few gameplay videos of PSO2, and read some of the news. But I haven't had the time unfortunately to stay active or read everything.

Does anyone know if there is a -certain- way to send e-mail to sega, or the development team. To show that your supporting the localization of PSO2.

Because this is one game that really needs to be brought to the USA, and I would love to help in that.

Dre_o
Dec 15, 2011, 11:11 AM
If I remember from a while back correctly, RubyEclipse *hinted* at the fact that they actually ARE working on localization. Don't quote me on it because the it was more of a "Well everyone's busy working on a certain game that is having an anniversary that fans are looking forward to" sort of deal.

But to actually answer your post, the best thing you could probably practically do (to my knowledge) is go to the PSO2 Facebook page and leave a nice comment giving your hopes for localization because they've left roughly translated JP to English messages there in the recent past, showing that they at least GO there.

Mag-X
Dec 15, 2011, 11:57 AM
The screenshots of the alpha showed a language option. Whether or not the drop down menu had anything but "日本語" listed, I don't know.

Dragwind
Dec 15, 2011, 07:15 PM
A way to promote localization of PSO2 would be a nice additional "push" to remind Sega that other regions are drooling for PSO2 as well. I don't think it will be needed though, I personally believe PSO2 will be available worldwide.

RemiusTA
Dec 15, 2011, 08:54 PM
Like i said, them not making PSO2 worldwide COMPLETELY destroys the original approach that the original was doing to online gaming.

SELENNA
Dec 15, 2011, 10:20 PM
There's no doubt PSO2 will be released in North America, it's just a matter of "when".

Randomness
Dec 15, 2011, 10:46 PM
Miracle scenario: Simultaneous (or very close) worldwide release with international servers
Hoped for scenario: Delayed release, but with international servers
Expected scenario: Delayed release, separated servers

That said, I very much want this game.

maxx69
Dec 15, 2011, 11:32 PM
Japanese players aren't excited to play with people from other countries. It's not that they would dislike it, they just don't get excited from the idea of a global/international community. And seeing as JP is the main audience, a global server is highly unlikely.

SolRiver
Dec 18, 2011, 02:20 AM
Funny yet sad story: http://www.menafn.com/qn_news_story.asp?storyid={2b11a791-6d09-4eb8-bb85-08fdd83c326c

Oh... why so xenophobic... Really wish for a more universal language to exist.

terrell707
Dec 18, 2011, 03:45 PM
If I remember from a while back correctly, RubyEclipse *hinted* at the fact that they actually ARE working on localization. Don't quote me on it because the it was more of a "Well everyone's busy working on a certain game that is having an anniversary that fans are looking forward to" sort of deal.

But to actually answer your post, the best thing you could probably practically do (to my knowledge) is go to the PSO2 Facebook page and leave a nice comment giving your hopes for localization because they've left roughly translated JP to English messages there in the recent past, showing that they at least GO there.

He did mention something about it. Like a small team here was helping with it or excited about it or something. lol. >.< It was him showing off a game and it was kind of just slipped in there. (Maybe it was E3?)

SStrikerR
Dec 18, 2011, 03:57 PM
I don't understand why anybody doubts that the game will be released outside of Japan.

kyuuketsuki
Dec 18, 2011, 04:12 PM
I don't understand why anybody doubts that the game will be released outside of Japan.
Because everyone knows Japanese game developers are xenophobes who hate the very idea of filthy outsiders touching their products, and if the deign to do so, they sure as hell going to give them miserable support (despite the fact that the crappy support actually comes from the American/European side of the business that is actually responsible for said support).

SolRiver
Dec 18, 2011, 05:35 PM
The doubt wasn't about whether it will be release outside japan. The doubt is if the server will be like PSO with international channels. Majority of the Japanese don't like to play with foreigners.

kyuuketsuki
Dec 18, 2011, 06:55 PM
The doubt wasn't about whether it will be release outside japan. The doubt is if the server will be like PSO with international channels. Majority of the Japanese don't like to play with foreigners.
Pretty sure the majority of Americans/Europeans don't like to play with people who can't speak their language either. Note, I'm not suggesting that xenophobia/outright racism isn't present, but I don't believe that's the reason for being so exclusionary most of the time.

And anyway, there are good technical reasons why having people on opposite sides of the planet playing on the same servers is a bad idea.

I'd rather Sega of America just shaped the f*** up and provided updates and general support for the servers as good as Sega of Japan provides for their Japanese player base. Not that I have any illusions of that happening.

SolRiver
Dec 18, 2011, 07:53 PM
And anyway, there are good technical reasons why having people on opposite sides of the planet playing on the same servers is a bad idea.

This is where our opinion differ.

I believe being able to learn to communicate with other cultures is a form of entertainment.

I will admit that I am part of the minority. BUT... (the rest isn't important, I will skip)

Anon_Fire
Dec 18, 2011, 09:46 PM

That's why PSO2 needs to bring back Word Select.

Kazzi
Dec 18, 2011, 11:35 PM
The screenshots of the alpha showed a language option. Whether or not the drop down menu had anything but "日本語" listed, I don't know.

I noticed that too.

http://i43.tinypic.com/34hguoi.png

I don't get the big fuss of playing with those in Japanese. It's not as though you would be able to converse with each other effectively.

Malachite
Dec 19, 2011, 10:40 AM
I really don't get the fuss either. It's cool to be able to pop into another country real quick, but there's no real benefit to me.

Golto
Dec 19, 2011, 10:42 AM
The reason why most of us want global servers is so we don't get almost 1 year behind and/or shutdown early like we did in pc/ps2 psu. The Japanese were the ones who did all the programming for the updates of our psu so don't blame the lame soa for delays.

RemiusTA
Dec 19, 2011, 12:50 PM
I only care about the servers being merged if it means we get lag like we're playing a server in japan.

But in all, it really doesn't even matter to me. Japan and The United States are like a perfect distance apart, they're almost just 12 hours up from my timezone, so whatever time it is for me, it's opposite for them, which means i'd be playing when they were all sleep.

And it's usually like that anyway, so the amount of JP encounter would be rare to begin with. The only real issue here is lag.

Which is 100% up to Sega to reduce through good netcode.

The game is very interaction heavy now, even moreso than PSP2i was. If they decide to make this game like an action game, and then have shit for netcode, it wont make much of a difference now will it..

kyuuketsuki
Dec 19, 2011, 12:54 PM
The reason why most of us want global servers is so we don't get almost 1 year behind and/or shutdown early like we did in pc/ps2 psu. The Japanese were the ones who did all the programming for the updates of our psu so don't blame the lame soa for delays.
I fully admit to the possibility of being wrong, but I don't think so. Yeah, the Japanese programmed the updates, but the same updates would simply have to go through whatever localization and minor changes needed to work for the English client and then Sega of America would have to actually release the update to the clients and their servers. I don't see how Sega of Japan could be responsible for the updates being behind unless they were simply not allowing SoA to use them.

RemiusTA
Dec 19, 2011, 01:01 PM
You can remove any grudges you have against Sega of America, because from what I understand, they barely even exist, at least in the sense you're speaking of.

Localization and information, yeah sure. But IIRC, everything we need save for translation staff comes from Sega of Japan, so even if we were 100% up on our shit, we'd still be a year behind because they simply do not give a shit. Japan programs the game, if we're having trouble getting content then it is NOT our fault, they just aren't wasting their time giving it to us.

They just don't care that much. Sega of America could damn near not exist and the game servers would barely be any different. This should have been 100% cleared up when they told Aaron to walk over here and basically tell us the 360 version of the game was some kind of fucking "UNIQUE VERSION" where you speak english and don't get updates. 360 has Japanese support, but all of them play PC anyway. US/EU plays on 360 as well, but nobody even knows the name of this game because they refused to advertise. So thus, here we are.

So yeah, my guess is they just do not care. Sega of America and Sega of Japan have a fucking terrible history of competition anyway, im not surprised in the slightest. And it's a real pity too, because the localization team that did PSP2 did a damn good job.

Well, except for whoever scouted voice acting. They should fire them immediately.

MegaZoneXE
Dec 20, 2011, 07:57 AM
https://www.facebook.com/groups/PSO2O/

Malachite
Dec 20, 2011, 12:05 PM
Why are you spamming random topics with things we already know exist?

Fayorei
Dec 21, 2011, 05:07 AM
I'm with quite a few others- I'm not chomping at the bit to play with Japanese players in parties and such; however, it would be truly crappy to not get on a closer update schedule. I'm hoping some of the support shown on the PSO2 page will show the SoJ devs that people are actually interested, and quite a few of them are.

Though, it could be cool to have word select and a decent amount of players around during US off-times. EU could work for that, as could JP since sometimes I game at odd times. The option to have an online mode much like the first PSO's would be awesome just to have.:)

drizzle
Dec 21, 2011, 05:37 AM

Oh but global servers don't stop SEGA from delaying content for US and EU. They did that in PSO GC too, we had to move to the JP lobbies for the newest content :p

pso2love
Dec 31, 2011, 03:33 PM
Like i said, them not making PSO2 worldwide COMPLETELY destroys the original approach that the original was doing to online gaming.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O72LDkQRSXI"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O72LDkQRSXI

This is what got me into PSO in the first place. :D

acidrain1976
Jan 4, 2012, 06:58 PM
Hello all,

I don't think we have to worry about not getting PSO2 here in NA. SEGA knows that there is a ravenous following that started with PSO on the DC and localization isn't difficult at all (for the Japanese/English bilingual types, hehe).

We will get it for sure. :-)

It's just a matter of when.

NoiseHERO
Jan 4, 2012, 07:57 PM
Yeaaahhh I can imagine a desperate english patch, especially with this community assuming we DON'T get the localization.

Hard to imagine us NOT getting it though.

Miyoko
Jan 9, 2012, 10:51 AM
From Software can give us an equal treatment with Dark Souls. Don't see why Sega can't do the same. Pretty sure Sega's much larger than From Software, too...