PDA

View Full Version : Will you drop PSU for PSO2?

Titan
Dec 24, 2011, 12:51 AM
I doubt PSO2's content will be as lackluster as PSU's day 1 presentation but it seems not everyone has the capabilities of running PSO2 on their PC (like me). Maybe some people have had enough unsatisfactory service from Sega that this forum just as a reminder of what they left behind or some refuse to leave behind their elite pallets that have taken a godly amount of time to build to ditch overnight.

gordon/alpha999
Dec 24, 2011, 01:06 AM
I would like to stick around for PSU's FINAL DAY.

ZER0 DX
Dec 24, 2011, 01:31 AM
Nope, I dumped too much money into GC to just blow it all away completely now.

Planning on playing both.

MaggotSai
Dec 24, 2011, 01:36 AM
I will definitely still be playing PSU when PSO2 releases. I enjoy this game too much to stop playing it just because there is a new game to play.

Positive
Dec 24, 2011, 01:50 AM
I'd play it if it's free and I could fix my good pc. Doesn't mean I will drop psu completely.

pikachief
Dec 24, 2011, 03:44 AM
Not immediately but I can see myself dropping PSU fairly quickly after getting PSO2.

I mean I dropped PSU 360 almost completely after I started playing an event in JP PSU and started getting some devent levels.

Alex305!
Dec 24, 2011, 03:59 AM
In a heartbeat no doubt. I don't even like psu...

Noblewine
Dec 24, 2011, 04:36 AM
I want to try out pso2 but still want to enjoy psp1/2. Playing psu and enjoying the combat was one of the things that kept me playing and the people I met too. I hope pso2 has the same experience as PSU when it was still around on the ps2/pc hub.

RemiusTA
Dec 24, 2011, 04:49 AM
In a heartbeat no doubt. I don't even like psu...

something about this post made me lol

Selphea
Dec 24, 2011, 07:25 AM
Already dropped PSU. Game was too ezmode

str898mustang
Dec 24, 2011, 08:18 AM
I'd play both

Ce'Nedra
Dec 24, 2011, 09:38 AM
I already quit PSU when sega shut down the EU/US servers. I don't play any version of PSU right now at all so it will be easy for me. And since Ifinity won't be localized the only thing on it i will do is playing offline probarly once i get my hands on it.

I'll wait for PSO2

GCoffee
Dec 24, 2011, 10:22 AM
I quitted PSU for PSO, does that count?

Alex305!
Dec 24, 2011, 01:14 PM
something about this post made me lol

See

Already dropped PSU. Game was too ezmode

The game was dead easy and boring. The only thing I like about PSU are how crazy some of the endgame weapon looks. There is not much challenge except for playing a techer which is more gimped than difficult. You just rape through everything its almost mindless but PSO/U was never really a Brain strain anyway. Also I play JPPSU and although the content is nice. The language barrier makes the game feel barren.

PSO2 cannot come soon enough.

Ark22
Dec 24, 2011, 03:04 PM
Hell yeah.

Ithildin
Dec 24, 2011, 04:01 PM
Will you drop PSU for PSO2?

Is this a trick question?

Ryno
Dec 24, 2011, 04:48 PM
Hell yeah.

me too. but still will have my PSU on free course though. to keep it alive.

Selphea
Dec 24, 2011, 07:29 PM
Techer isn't even really challenging =x Just stand in the middle and cast a Gi-tech that hits the whole room without even needing to aim, then LB Diga the survivors or something. The most challenging thing about Techer is programming a macro for Unsafe Passage/R to level techs.

bloodflowers
Dec 24, 2011, 08:11 PM
Strongly considering not playing it at all in any region, based on Segas running of PSU outside of Japan. Having not been around to see their terrible game management in PSO, this was certainly a learning experience - although I was one of the people bitten by the way they ruined Chromehounds.

RemiusTA
Dec 24, 2011, 10:55 PM
See

The game was dead easy and boring. The only thing I like about PSU are how crazy some of the endgame weapon looks. There is not much challenge except for playing a techer which is more gimped than difficult. You just rape through everything its almost mindless but PSO/U was never really a Brain strain anyway. Also I play JPPSU and although the content is nice. The language barrier makes the game feel barren.

My thoughts exactly, i quit my hunter because i ate through the content too quick. I could easily finish missions, but it took too long to level, so it felt like i was doing everything and getting nothing. My character was a pimp but he was seriously getting boring.

Reduced to playing White Beast for EXP and MP? No, i'd just tour planets with cool peeps willing to tag along in my "Team Sexy" rooms until I got my force. Then AotI came out, with lv31 techniques. But i didn't care, because Hunters got Just-Attack and i was no longer awesome anymore, especially since the dipshits NERFED a few of the techniques. I grinded my Techs to high levels and still got destroyed by most stages my Hunter would have zero issue soloing at the same level with far lower Photon Arts and weapon grades. So i realized Forces were shit.

Hunters were fun, but i gained EXP way too slow, and rare weapons were BORING as fuck, no special abilities or anything. Pity, because Rare Weapon abilities is what kept PSO so fresh.

Forces had the coolest looking moves, but they were all trash. None of them flinched, knocked down, launched, anything. Their target range was pathetic, none of them could hit multiple weakpoints, majority of them had TERRIBLE targeting, and to top it off, they still did less damage than most photon arts, even of SINGLE HANDED weapons. Forces were fun, but were just fucking garbage.

Rangers....were boring. Seriously, i dont know how the fuck people play them, you hold down the strafe button and tap the same, fucking, button, all day long. No seriously, that is all you do. If you go into FPS mode, it's even worse. Like a really, really low-budget Wii On-rails shooter without the movement or scripted excitement.

The same. Button. No photon arts, no Extra attack, no shots with neat effects, no rare guns with neat abilities, no NOTHING, it was the most boring class i ever got to level 10 with.

Titan
Dec 25, 2011, 01:10 PM
Strongly considering not playing it at all in any region, based on Segas running of PSU outside of Japan. Having not been around to see their terrible game management in PSO, this was certainly a learning experience - although I was one of the people bitten by the way they ruined Chromehounds.

PSO2 looks good but its run by a company I don't care for in the slightest. The fact that it hasn't announced any localzation is proving to repeat past mistakes. I don't mind playing JP, but I'm only 1 opinion.

Also my PC is too weak to run PSO2 for the time being. I could buy a new PC, but for 1 game is a pricy investment.

Alex305!
Dec 25, 2011, 03:06 PM
My thoughts exactly, i quit my hunter because i ate through the content too quick. I could easily finish missions, but it took too long to level, so it felt like i was doing everything and getting nothing. My character was a pimp but he was seriously getting boring.

Reduced to playing White Beast for EXP and MP? No, i'd just tour planets with cool peeps willing to tag along in my "Team Sexy" rooms until I got my force. Then AotI came out, with lv31 techniques. But i didn't care, because Hunters got Just-Attack and i was no longer awesome anymore, especially since the dipshits NERFED a few of the techniques. I grinded my Techs to high levels and still got destroyed by most stages my Hunter would have zero issue soloing at the same level with far lower Photon Arts and weapon grades. So i realized Forces were shit.

Hunters were fun, but i gained EXP way too slow, and rare weapons were BORING as fuck, no special abilities or anything. Pity, because Rare Weapon abilities is what kept PSO so fresh.

Forces had the coolest looking moves, but they were all trash. None of them flinched, knocked down, launched, anything. Their target range was pathetic, none of them could hit multiple weakpoints, majority of them had TERRIBLE targeting, and to top it off, they still did less damage than most photon arts, even of SINGLE HANDED weapons. Forces were fun, but were just fucking garbage.

Rangers....were boring. Seriously, i dont know how the fuck people play them, you hold down the strafe button and tap the same, fucking, button, all day long. No seriously, that is all you do. If you go into FPS mode, it's even worse. Like a really, really low-budget Wii On-rails shooter without the movement or scripted excitement.

The same. Button. No photon arts, no Extra attack, no shots with neat effects, no rare guns with neat abilities, no NOTHING, it was the most boring class i ever got to level 10 with.

Am I the only one who likes gunning? Besides acrotecher this is the class I love the most. Its so simple yet so effective. Its also IMO the cheapest class.

MY GM set up:
Rifle
2xshotty
2xlaser
Twin pistols (for the annoying fuckers)

You don't even need decent weps. Just level your pa's (most boring shit ever)

+ADA+
Dec 27, 2011, 10:49 AM
See

Apparently, you must've been playing on C rank far too long. The current event taking place on the Xbox 360 official servers (Guardians Chronicles) can be quite challenging achieving a perfect on The Big Push S3 Block 3. Also, Phantasy Star Universe is more interactive than another WOW click-and-play duplicate (as if we don't have enough on PC already). Now, on with the question.

I felt extremely disappointed that Phantasy Star Universe for the PS2/PC server came to an early close, and the same faith could be possible for PSO2 once it's localized in the future. However, no one knows if Sonic Team will or will not release PSO2 for Xbox 360 or PS3, especially since added content can be downloaded to the HDD drive (impossible for the PS2 version of PSU). However, will I completely drop PSU for PSO2? If the server in the beginning lacks content, (similar to PSU on day one), then no. If a decent a mount of content is added and I'm well entertained, then the answer is a definite "yes."

Alex305!
Dec 27, 2011, 11:16 AM
Apparently, you must've been playing on C rank far too long. The current event taking place on the Xbox 360 official servers (Guardians Chronicles) can be quite challenging achieving a perfect on The Big Push S3 Block 3. Also, Phantasy Star Universe is more interactive than another WOW click-and-play duplicate (as if we don't have enough on PC already). Now, on with the question.

I felt extremely disappointed that Phantasy Star Universe for the PS2/PC server came to an early close, and the same faith could be possible for PSO2 once it's localized in the future. However, no one knows if Sonic Team will or will not release PSO2 for Xbox 360 or PS3, especially since added content can be downloaded to the HDD drive (impossible for the PS2 version of PSU). However, will I completely drop PSU for PSO2? If the server in the beginning lacks content, (similar to PSU on day one), then no. If a decent a mount of content is added and I'm well entertained, then the answer is a definite "yes."

Why do when I have a different opinion than most posters imply I must be doing something wrong? I played PSU since it was first released I even have the little bonus soundtrack. Trust me My opinion is well founded and remember its just an opinion. What I'm looking for is those quirky or difficult missions that PSO offered. The focus on gameplay. Actually finding and trading rares. A lobby instead of isolated hubs.

I just hope sega sees whats wrong with psu and just takes what good from it and improved. I believed PSU was at it best with PSP2i. PSO2 is looking real good they are actually trying to make the combat interesting. I saw in one video where one guy jumped on the dragon to hit its horn.

Also I play PSUJP. Interactive =/= fun. I can watch my character auto attack all day or press a button all day it doesn't mean anything If I'm not engaged.

Slidikins
Dec 27, 2011, 11:27 AM
I quit PSU for most of the same reasons people are mentioning and recently went back to PSO to pass the time. Will I quit PSO for PSO2? Maybe. Like +ADA+ said, if the server lacks content or seems too easy (similar to PSU) I won't make the jump. It really depends on the pricing, content, and security.

I probably would've played more PSU if hackers didn't ruin the PC/PS2 economy early on. I also vividly remember gameshark ruining PSO ver 1/2 on the Dreamcast. If SEGA drops the ball on legitimacy again I won't be making the jump to PSO2. At least not online.

redroses
Dec 27, 2011, 11:38 AM
I will be dropping everything for PSO2.

character creator was everything it took for me to fall in love with PSO2.

Resanoca
Dec 27, 2011, 12:03 PM
character creator was everything it took for me to fall in love with PSO2.I like how you think!

str898mustang
Dec 27, 2011, 12:28 PM

Why are you talking about stuff that happened almost 3 years ago??

Why do when I have a different opinion than most posters imply I must be doing something wrong? I played PSU since it was first released I even have the little bonus soundtrack. Trust me My opinion is well founded and remember its just an opinion. What I'm looking for is those quirky or difficult missions that PSO offered. The focus on gameplay. Actually finding and trading rares. A lobby instead of isolated hubs.

I just hope sega sees whats wrong with psu and just takes what good from it and improved. I believed PSU was at it best with PSP2i. PSO2 is looking real good they are actually trying to make the combat interesting. I saw in one video where one guy jumped on the dragon to hit its horn.

Also I play PSUJP. Interactive =/= fun. I can watch my character auto attack all day or press a button all day it doesn't mean anything If I'm not engaged.

So playing with importers doesn't mean you're "engaged" into the game?

I'll be playing on the Japanese version of PSO2 (though not quitting JP PSU)......not going through the US version and it's lack of updates again.

Keilyn
Dec 27, 2011, 12:42 PM
I won't quit PSU JP, but I will play on the JPN version of PSO2 and I will skip anything that SEGA brings in the series in North America.

I am not super-hyped up about it, but with all the time I've spent on characters and the fact I do like returning to the game and playing through the events, I really don't see any reason to drop PSU-JP completely. Specially when Free Course can bring anyone back.

Only thing I am planning is using a completely new naming scheme for characters. I don't want my Four to exist outside of PSU.

Another generation of HUnewearls and FOnewearls for me.

Alex305!
Dec 27, 2011, 12:51 PM
So playing with importers doesn't mean you're "engaged" into the game?

Look at my post carefully. I highlighted in bold what I was responding too. I'm not too sure if you'll understand I'll just post it here...

"Apparently, you must've been playing on C rank far too long. The current event taking place on the Xbox 360 official servers (Guardians Chronicles) can be quite challenging achieving a perfect on The Big Push S3 Block 3."

That's when I responded: Also I play PSUJP.

"Also, Phantasy Star Universe is more interactive than another WOW click-and-play duplicate (as if we don't have enough on PC already). Now, on with the question."

My response:Interactive =/= fun. I can watch my character auto attack all day or press a button all day it doesn't mean anything If I'm not engaged.

Sorry if it was hard to understand.

str898mustang
Dec 27, 2011, 01:08 PM
ah ok, gotcha

Keilyn
Dec 27, 2011, 03:19 PM
"Interactive" is a strange word.

The most interactive Genre out there are Simulation Games. I play Civilization 5, X3 (A 100% sandboxed Space-Simulation game that is well done) and Tropico 4.

These games take a much longer time to learn and even master. Processors today are able to handle games that take into account the actions of many things at the same time. By "many" I mean 100s to even 1000s of units and actions occurring simultaneously.

Simulations are difficult due to the sheer amount of information one has to deal with along with the realism and mortality.

Here is an X3 example that you can understand:

I took a fighter and jumped it to a star system codenamed "Treasure Chest." In that system there were Terran Ships.

Ok, stop there....now we bring PSU into this as its a PSU forum.

In PSU we can say "ok, there are six enemies? Ok, i'll fire off a trap or SAbarta and then whip them to death. If its FM we will make the choice based on how close enemies are together on either using Cyclone Dance or Tornado Break."

This choice is almost instantaneous. We don't really apply heavy thinking.

Ok, in X3 I said the following:

"Ok, there's a Terran carrier deploying fighters. All I have are my ship blasters. There is no way in hell I am going to survive their attack, however there is a battle taking place here...."

In your typical video game, you charge right in and destroy everything.

In MMORPGs and Simulation Games when you charge right in to destroy everything you get your ass kicked.

So what in the hell did I do?

I had to route the fighters off to one side so there can be less fighters attacking the Argon Ships (my side/race) and then hope to be able to destroy any of them as they all had similar stats to me. It was the only way to prevent the Argon ships in the area from being too outnumbered.

Thats right! I don't have a super-fighter that can destroy enemy fighters in 1 - 2 hits. I have a fighter that anyone else uses that I can outfit in different ways. In short...I am part of that world and I am not special unless I work to make something of myself within that universe.

Of course I was not able to destroy the carrier, but a few fighters with some smart planning managed to destroy one-fourth of the carrier's fighters and destroyed all the carrier's bombers to prevent them from destroying any argon capital ships. A carrier without bombers is a sitting duck against any capital ship with heavy weapons.

There isn't a high level of interaction in PSU.

Sure, we connect PAs to weapons but that is it. The missions are straight-forward and outside of activating a switch or getting a key there really is nothing that is "interactive" in game. All drops go directly to our inventory and all we can deploy upon the environment are traps.

In many MMORPGs when you finally do get a party and are advanced enough, there is always a strategy one runs. It all boils down to spamming skills in a certain order against a boss, otherwise everyone in the party dies.

Also, it should be noted that most games aren't point and click anymore unless you use the mouse.

Most games you move with WASD or can set for keyboard movement controls and you tend to use another key to cycle to a target.

Indirect Combat and Turn Based games tend to have more depth, while Action Games like PSO/PSU play a lot faster and are dungeon-crawling, monster bashing games....and believe me when I say:

"I welcome the faster gameplay and more direct action and that is why the game is decent. SEGA just doesn't know how to turn a good game into a great game. They always start with something unique and special and they de-evolve it into something generic over time"

Live Hulk
Dec 28, 2011, 07:06 PM
is pso2 coming out on the xbox or is it only pc?

Halcyote
Dec 28, 2011, 08:16 PM
PC only.

I'm honestly not sure if I'd drop PSU for PSO2. I would love to but I've a feeling that the game will be light on content for a while.

SStrikerR
Dec 29, 2011, 01:22 AM

Because he quit a while ago, therefore is talking about HIS experiences.

I find PSU fun (even though I don't play anymore), but he's right. The game's balance is shit, and it turned out pretty stupid.

RemiusTA
Dec 29, 2011, 01:47 AM

lol, yeah that happened 3 years ago. But what's changed? Not very much of it.

NoiseHERO
Dec 29, 2011, 10:21 AM
People still play and enjoy PSU (after all this time?) enough to the point where they'd play it instead of PSO2?

That's kind of scary...

Technically I've already quit, and I won't miss PSU or PSO. But I did have a lot of fun memories in both, mostly from the community aspects with PSU, and the "playing it for the first time" feeling with both. Even though people swear it doesn't exist I liked PSU's "atmosphere" just as much, probably more than PSO's. Just felt like I actually got to see the entire universe and explore it, instead of being left in the dark about it.

I'm sure PSO2 will try to bring back that PSO feel but I'm sure it'll do so without deteriorating the adventurous feel PSU brought in going to different beautiful cities and high tech planets and dipping into sci-fi cultures. But keeping PSO's mysterious world to be discovered in the great unknown where the future could hold anything feeling.

But hopefully this time when people DO migrate over to PSO2 from their comfy little PSO and PSU, more will stick around instead of being scared away by tiny content, and the game being "Too different." Seems like a chunk of the community stays behind with every new generation of Phantasy Star, Since I can tell there's still fans that even disliked PSO over the classic games.

edit: And yeah, I was there when PS2/PC closed down and killed all of my hard work engraved with my teenage memories, that's all the closure I needed with this game. Pun intended.

Ami Star x
Dec 29, 2011, 04:49 PM
Most likely,there is still a pretty long way before they release it in US.and i dont plan on playing the jp servers.So till then^^psu

Cayenne
Jan 1, 2012, 03:47 PM

You have read my mind my friend. I'm trying my very best to give PSP2i a chance and have fun with it but I can't do it. There are so many things wrong with this game.

Bare with me as this is a mighty rant: Why PSU is poop...

Fighting is boring, PAs defeat the purpose of even having a regular attack button, level design is bland at best, only 3 or so enemies per section of the levels (can I kill more please?), enemies/bosses are not hard nor challenging but ANNOYING, die at full health from a 20 hit un-recoverable combo/ambush/spam fest, you must be 3 feet in front of an enemy or else spells WILL miss, 1 in every 4 spells you cast hit something, you need keys to open doors AFTER you clear the rooms (WHY!?!?!?), rare weapons are weak and look worse than elton john, music sucks (no fade to fight music?), and you pick weapons based on power, not by HOW they work.

Now for parts of the game I don't understand:

-Why are scape dolls in red boxes? (pisses me of when I think I found a rare weapon)
-Extend type, I need points to use a B class weapon with the already included level requirement?
-Am I the only one that sees NanoBlast (forgot the name, the thing that builds a charge) as utterly useless?
-You have to view a breakable wall in First Person Mode in order to break it?
-Why does every destructible objects need 3 hits to destroy them? Why not give them a set hp so when you get strong it turns into 2 hits, then 1 hit. It undermines how strong your character is.
-Was PP a viable replacement for TP? I saw nothing wrong with the way TP worked except SEGA could've added more than 10 fluids of each type to hold.

The good parts (surprised? I am):

-Characters (talking about psp2 and psp2i) look so damn cool, the cloths, hair, voice changing, great work SEGA!
-Lots of missions to mess with
-Story mode voice acting is actually good to listen to.
-Online is free! (but I've never tried it, never will)

I'm sure I can add more to this list but this is all from the top of my head. To sum it up, one giant disappointment, Grade: F. Thank you for reading.

tl;dr: I will drop PSU for PSO2 lol.