PDA

View Full Version : Backstory to some areas in Universe

Noblewine
Dec 26, 2011, 03:31 AM
I've pondering about this for awhile as I played PSP2. Does any of the areas like Denes Lake, the beach area (forgot the name) or Falz memorial have any backstory. It sorta sucks that you can't revisit these places at all in PSP2.

RemiusTA
Dec 26, 2011, 04:23 AM
Dont think so.

The beach area is just a beach area IIRC, Denes Lake was an interesting looking map but nobody ever really went there. If its where i think it is, i think you can see a bit of the containment thing there?

Most of them have no real backstory though. About as much real backstory as the stages themselves...

Omega-z
Dec 26, 2011, 09:02 AM
actually Denes Lake has a back story thru PSU Vanilla and the main Doc of AotI, the Beach is for most part a throw back of PSO day with main MB being in a Seabed lab Area (chap. 3 of AotI) and having a coast area. the last one is just for a nostalgically feel of the PSO day's using the memories of Dulk Falz( end Chap of 3 in AotI ).

Anna_Wren
Dec 26, 2011, 09:21 AM
Many of the areas have a shit ton of backstory, but since most people don't give a shit its mostly ignored.

Denes Lake is the location of the Melvore explosion instigated at the hands of the Endrum Collective. Tomrain was one of the people working there that discovered A-photons as well as the first Nanotraser fields. The explosion destroyed the entire city and sank it as well. There is some speculation from PSU vanilla that the explosion itself attracted the SEED forms and alerted them that A photons still existed in the Gurhal system.

Paracabana coast is the terminus of a linear line and a former central attraction on Parum. The Hotels there have automated defenses that keep most the beasties out but don't stop casts and humanoids or defense robots from entering the Line and hotel. As such the beach is littered with Natural life forms while the line and hotel are filled with robots. In PSU:AoI, the beach is the terminus and start of most Mother Brain missions, implying that the Linear Line from the AMF central HQ runs to the Paracabana hotel and that perhaps many AMF soldiers and officers took a lot of R&R at this beach.

Falz Memorial is both easy and to a great degree hard to understand.
To best sum it up as I can, the Falz memorial represents the state of a confined Dark Falz. In most PS games, Dark Falz is actually trapped in a box or sword or whatnot. Its implied that the hero themselves are opening Pandora's box and unleashing a great terror on the world. Dark Falz itself is part of the profound darkness and is the goddess twin sealed away by the Algol star system.

Due to the nature of PS3, it can be assumed that Dark Falz can and does exist in multiple forms and areas outside of Algol. Indeed, in the original series one can safely say they kill Dark Falz every time and that there are just a LOT of them out there due to the destruction of Palma. In any event, the memorial itself if obviously from PSO. Seeing as how Red Ring Rico is somehow in PSP2I, perhaps a better person than I can say why she is there and not in Dark Falz form or whats going on. In PSO, though, the Memorial is an illusion made by Rico's mind after becoming Dark Falz host. Dark Falz has had hosts before and possession becomes a theme after PSO. Anyway, the Memorial changes when you touch the box and Dark Falz pops out and the fight begins.

In PSU, its a memory from Dark Falz mind, much like the other PSO areas. Rycross has the ability to warp dimesional space on a huge scale and the strongest willpower interacts with the Photons to choose where the distorted space will go. In this case, after besting Dark Falz, he retreats back to Ragol memories by warping space and the Memorial is a strong memory that acts as the beginning point where you are temporarily safe. In the storyline, when looking for Lumia who is Dark Falz's current host, your character traverses all of Ragol looking for her. Since the story basically says that high willpower combined with Photons and the confinement field can warp space and time itself that you actually are on Ragol during the Distant Memory and Rare runs, as well as the Falz Memorial.

Dark Falz and the Ancients used this fact to save themselves in Subspace actually, and you and Lumia (And Ethan and Karen for that matter) do the same to escape. The whole joining of hearts and minds on the three planets is basically to provide a greater willpower than Dark Falz to force him into a space he doesn't want to go, whereas when you fight him, he forces you to fight on his own turf.

Ah, thats a wall of text.. Anyway, despite what most players think, there is a great deal of story to the game. it just so happens that most he heroes of the game are total idiots.

Omega-z
Dec 26, 2011, 09:32 AM
Nicely done, Anna_Wren for the Win :) :rappy:

Noblewine
Dec 26, 2011, 05:42 PM
Wow that's alot to read. I didn't remember half of the stuff abour the Melvore explosion let alone any other details. I need to finish offline storymode of episode one. Thanks for the information.

Ilikelamp7
Dec 28, 2011, 04:16 PM
This is easily answered if you have done the story mode.

RemiusTA
Dec 28, 2011, 04:28 PM
Many of the areas have a shit ton of backstory, but since most people don't give a shit its mostly ignored.

Denes Lake is the location of the Melvore explosion instigated at the hands of the Endrum Collective. Tomrain was one of the people working there that discovered A-photons as well as the first Nanotraser fields. The explosion destroyed the entire city and sank it as well. There is some speculation from PSU vanilla that the explosion itself attracted the SEED forms and alerted them that A photons still existed in the Gurhal system.

Paracabana coast is the terminus of a linear line and a former central attraction on Parum. The Hotels there have automated defenses that keep most the beasties out but don't stop casts and humanoids or defense robots from entering the Line and hotel. As such the beach is littered with Natural life forms while the line and hotel are filled with robots. In PSU:AoI, the beach is the terminus and start of most Mother Brain missions, implying that the Linear Line from the AMF central HQ runs to the Paracabana hotel and that perhaps many AMF soldiers and officers took a lot of R&R at this beach.

To best sum it up as I can, the Falz memorial represents the state of a confined Dark Falz. In most PS games, Dark Falz is actually trapped in a box or sword or whatnot. Its implied that the hero themselves are opening Pandora's box and unleashing a great terror on the world. Dark Falz itself is part of the profound darkness and is the goddess twin sealed away by the Algol star system.

Due to the nature of PS3, it can be assumed that Dark Falz can and does exist in multiple forms and areas outside of Algol. Indeed, in the original series one can safely say they kill Dark Falz every time and that there are just a LOT of them out there due to the destruction of Palma. In any event, the memorial itself if obviously from PSO. Seeing as how Red Ring Rico is somehow in PSP2I, perhaps a better person than I can say why she is there and not in Dark Falz form or whats going on. In PSO, though, the Memorial is an illusion made by Rico's mind after becoming Dark Falz host. Dark Falz has had hosts before and possession becomes a theme after PSO. Anyway, the Memorial changes when you touch the box and Dark Falz pops out and the fight begins.

In PSU, its a memory from Dark Falz mind, much like the other PSO areas. Rycross has the ability to warp dimesional space on a huge scale and the strongest willpower interacts with the Photons to choose where the distorted space will go. In this case, after besting Dark Falz, he retreats back to Ragol memories by warping space and the Memorial is a strong memory that acts as the beginning point where you are temporarily safe. In the storyline, when looking for Lumia who is Dark Falz's current host, your character traverses all of Ragol looking for her. Since the story basically says that high willpower combined with Photons and the confinement field can warp space and time itself that you actually are on Ragol during the Distant Memory and Rare runs, as well as the Falz Memorial.

Dark Falz and the Ancients used this fact to save themselves in Subspace actually, and you and Lumia (And Ethan and Karen for that matter) do the same to escape. The whole joining of hearts and minds on the three planets is basically to provide a greater willpower than Dark Falz to force him into a space he doesn't want to go, whereas when you fight him, he forces you to fight on his own turf.

Ah, thats a wall of text.. Anyway, despite what most players think, there is a great deal of story to the game. it just so happens that most he heroes of the game are total idiots.

well damn. I stand quite corrected.

SStrikerR
Dec 29, 2011, 01:27 AM
This is easily answered if you have done the story mode.

This is not easily answered if you don't have access to the story mode. Nice S&S post.

TenebriS
Dec 29, 2011, 03:47 AM
This is not easily answered if you don't have access to the story mode. Nice S&S post.

Most of the lobbies "stories" get explained in offline story mode , only a few in the online story mode.
So if you don't have access to story mode, it means you don't have PSU at all? o:

If so you maybe should get it, so you get some background information about a few things. Up to you.

NoiseHERO
Dec 29, 2011, 11:05 AM
This is kind of why I liked Episode 1, even though it had horrible voice acting. They actually paid a lot of attention to the concept and setting of a lot of good ideas and interesting backstories.

More interesting than the generic anime story telling style it got filtered through, sadly. So I guess you could say their creativity in PSU never disappeared after PSO or the classic PS's creativity disappearing in PSO.

And not sure about actual areas, but you can learn a lot from the vision phones as well.

GCoffee
Dec 29, 2011, 11:18 AM
I still stand to my statement that PSIV and PSU Episode 1 have a whole lot in common when it came to setting and the quirky storytelling. Both were quite enjoyable.

Crazyleo
Dec 29, 2011, 02:00 PM
I remembered playing EP1 on the PS2. What really impressed me was how the story was presented (where each chapter was an episode of a mini-series; including opening and ending sequences)

Too bad I never got to play the expansion though.

Slidikins
Dec 29, 2011, 02:55 PM
I remembered playing EP1 on the PS2. What really impressed me was how the story was presented (where each chapter was an episode of a mini-series; including opening and ending sequences)
The presentation was nice. My only gripe was that I didn't care for any of the characters in Ep I. Well, a majority of them, especially Ethan. I think Episode II was an improvement in that aspect.

I agree though, that PSU seemed to be a richer world all around. There were different planets with history and culture. Organizations were established... you could just immerse yourself in it if you wanted. Ragol, as much as I liked it, had no history. No established society. The organizations were few and far between, and half the time you needed to do a quest chain just to uncover some lore.

Completely off topic... but just thought it belonged here ^^;

Noblewine
Dec 29, 2011, 03:12 PM
The last time I played I was at Ch11 but I went to extra mode to goof off and experiment as I leveled my pa's. I had forgotten some of the stuff that was mentioned while playing through the story mode and that's why I created this thread. I appreciate the information however, I don't know if its allowed to mention the story to PSP2. Maybe I should ask an admin first.

NoiseHERO
Dec 29, 2011, 03:26 PM
I actually liked the characters in ep1 a lot better,

Following Ethan' loli sister on her adventures and getting bossed around by laia kinda turned me off quick.

And at least playing as Ethan you felt like you were part of a story, and not just a deaf camera man/everyone's bitch.

I didn't get this feeling in PSP2 though because they made it like a visual novel. Not saying I like RPG games that do the cheap visual novel thing to get the story across though. Except for Twewy, but it felt like it was more the way you talked to people than a cheap visual novel trick used to push the story. Then again I hated it when they did it with KH:recoded.

GCoffee
Dec 29, 2011, 03:33 PM
The most bullsh*t part about Episode II was without a doubt that everyone trated you as if you did not even exist. That was due to your character never being addressed in ANY of the cutscenes.

That flaw was fixed in Episode III, at last.

Slidikins
Dec 29, 2011, 03:35 PM
The most bullsh*t part about Episode II was without a doubt that everyone trated you as if you did not even exist.Even I have to admit that that was a pretty big flaw of Episode II, but I was more concerned with the ability to make my own character.

Now that I'm playing PS0, I'm liking how that game handles it. The characters acknowledge you, respond to your choices, but the story still goes where it needs to go.

Noblewine
Dec 29, 2011, 05:52 PM
Even I have to admit that that was a pretty big flaw of Episode II, but I was more concerned with the ability to make my own character.

Now that I'm playing PS0, I'm liking how that game handles it. The characters acknowledge you, respond to your choices, but the story still goes where it needs to go.

It really just gets worse on PSU story chapters on Network mode as it does on PSP1. I felt bad for vivienne regardless of 2/3 endings.

I meant the stuff that's going on PSP2 story.

Dragwind
Dec 31, 2011, 10:59 PM

Well done. It's good to know some people paid attention to the PSU-series stories. :-)