PDA

View Full Version : I am going to write a letter to SEGA of Japan...

Roger Triton
Dec 29, 2011, 05:27 PM
and I'd like your input.
What I'm most interested in doing (other than back slapping them for all the cool features I wanted..and perhaps not wanted) is to request a bunch of features.

So post in this topic and I will combine your suggestions along with a few other threads I've read.

I'll take a picture of the letter and envelope before I send it. Maybe I'll even take a video of me dropping in into the mailbox?

I think a letter, with hyperlinks on PSO-W and a few other sites, along with a short and to-the-point list will get someone's attention.

Emails are pointless, but a letter in the mail carries much more weight.

It's worth a try.

Now post your ideas!

Dre_o
Dec 29, 2011, 05:35 PM
I hate to be a buzz killer but I have to say one thing: let them make the game.

We don't know what all is in the game, thus you don't know whether or not something better is coming along or not. So just let them do their thing and we'll do ours: squirm impatiently.

Besides, its likely a little late in development to be adding COMPLETELY new things

Norco
Dec 29, 2011, 05:37 PM
Well as far as the battlesystem goes I am ok, as long as I can use some techniques with my HUnewm I will be happy. Though something which worries me is that I have yet to see any Double Sabers, this is my favorite type of weapon in the modern Phantasy Star games and I would be very upset if I did not see them ingame.

Another thing I can think of is mags, I would love to see mags like Rati or Radam return. Though it will not be the end of the world if that does not happen.

NoiseHERO
Dec 29, 2011, 05:54 PM
Add the ability to change the way your character moves.

/picks goofy swagger.

lostinseganet
Dec 29, 2011, 05:54 PM
world connected servers

mags that can transform in combat to partner machines

Roger Triton
Dec 29, 2011, 06:02 PM
Besides, its likely a little late in development to be adding COMPLETELY new things

They could add entire new areas, or even planets, easier than you think. The core of the game is what's probably finished. Little tweaks here and there shouldn't break the programming.

So are you going to suggest some features for my letter?

maxx69
Dec 29, 2011, 06:28 PM
The ability to change your character's looks/body anytime.

Rika-chan
Dec 29, 2011, 06:40 PM
Rangers should move slower while shooting.

Dre_o
Dec 29, 2011, 07:12 PM
They could add entire new areas, or even planets, easier than you think. The core of the game is what's probably finished. Little tweaks here and there shouldn't break the programming.

So are you going to suggest some features for my letter?

Well, I'm sure I speak for most of us when I say that we are not professional programmers, so whether or not it will break the game is still up in the air (considering that there are bound to be people who want drastic changes: I saw ranger movement speed while aiming somewhere in this thread)

Simply what I want you to consider is instead of getting everyone's hopes up about what they want to change and what they think should change, how about we let the game come out first before putting ANOTHER list of 40 alterations that the community wants in front of the devs. Think about it: they had a HUGE number of things to fix/alter after alpha 1, alpha 2 will no doubt add onto that list, lord knows what the beta will bring.

Give the guys some slack/credit will ya? They no doubt have weapons/items/functions that they're simply not throwing at us in order to maintain anticipation.

Kent
Dec 29, 2011, 07:36 PM
1. Emphasize the free-form hybrid style gameplay that made anything other than Android Hunter/Ranger and Newman Force characters worth playing at all.

Techniques should be freely-usable regardless of equipped weapon. Rods and the like giving some specific benefit to technique usage is fine and dandy, as long as not having one equipped (for the purposes of playing a hybrid character) is still equally-viable, should you have the proper class/race combination. There's nothing wrong with letting a player who wants to play "pure" Force reap the benefits of a casting-oriented weapon, but it should still remain as a bonus instead of a requirement. Anyone who went from PSO to PSU as a hybrid player had the game practically ruined for them due to the excessive weapon-switching require for being able to use their capabilities. Being forced into specialization-only roles is not fun, and a lot of the reason PSO's class/sex/race combination scheme actually worked - without this, you might as well just have Hunter, Ranger and Force, with no other customization options.

2. Differentiate weapon and technique types.

One of the best aspects of PSO that was really lost on PSU/P, was the diversity in weapon and technique usage. Part of why PSO was so fun (which should be at least get some attention paid to it) was because nearly every weapon and technique you could use wasn't just a different flavor of damage - you actually had to think about how you used them, since they all worked in different ways from one another. Considering that this is an action game, the fact that weapons and techniques work differently from one another has to be taken seriously, because each one has different implications on how it affects the situation, how you have to approach combat, and how many enemies you can effectively handle at once.

The fact that Foie is used differently from Zonde and Barta is fun. The diversity between Gifoie, Gizonde and Gibarta is one of the best examples of this there is - as is the difference between all of the Hunter weapons. They all work so dramatically-different from each other, that they all actually have specific situations in which they're a better option than the others. This adds depth to and makes combat more interesting, and this added depth makes combat more strategic and fun for players. If one weapon type can do everything well, or if two weapon types are effectively-identical in how well they work in a given situation, then why put other weapons into the game? It takes away the fun of having to adjust how you deal with enemies based on what you carry with you, and takes a lot of the flavor and diversity from the game. Despite that PSU had many weapon types available, a lot of them were virtually-indistinguishable from each other in how well they workef ror a situation, which took a lot of the fun out of the game for players, even despite the faster pace and variety of attacks. Getting the best of both worlds here would be ideal.

r00tabaga
Dec 29, 2011, 08:51 PM
A simultaneous NA/EU/JPN release.

D-Inferno
Dec 29, 2011, 09:02 PM
This is kind of pointless, IMO. The core audience of PSo2 already have made suggestions, and chances are they as a whole know the whole game better than the small English community.

Cayenne
Dec 29, 2011, 09:08 PM
Here's some hard truth, can you handle it?

The only way you'll be heard is if you've played the last alpha or you play the next one coming up and give feedback in japanese from a from they ask you to submit.

You'll be wasting your time writing this letter.

Norco
Dec 29, 2011, 11:52 PM
So what if it does not get heard, I personally think it is a quite fun and interesting thing Xellitoss is doing. Let a person dream. It is also quite interesting to read what people think.

Also I remember reading that SEGA actually look at these forums, meaning all this could be read before it is sent. However that is unlikely I know, like I said let a person dream.

Cayenne
Dec 30, 2011, 12:32 AM
Ok, let him write to santa as well.

If it's true that SEGA watches these forum then express yourself HERE like everyone else is doing.

Enforcer MKV
Dec 30, 2011, 01:16 AM
Hmm....while I don't think that it's as hopeless as Cayenne is making it out to be, I would say wait until we hear about everything in Alpha 2 before writing this letter. And when I say that, I mean wait until the Alpha occurs, and we see information about it roll in. By all means, compile a list of changes that people want to see, but don't submit the letter until we see the second alpha stage.

Also, might I suggest translating the letter into Japanese, and mentioning that you're not a native speaker of said language? It would show that you're willing to go half way for something we really care for. Lord knows that the devs have their work cut out for them, trying to make a game superior to PSO (I, for one, like the progress they're making, though I know not everyone shares that opinion.)

Either way, we won't know if this will work or not unless we try, so if nothing else, let's make an effort to show that we all still care about this franchise!

Ark22
Dec 30, 2011, 01:17 AM
Make them add ponies and a dating service.

UnsentMadman
Dec 30, 2011, 01:39 AM
I want to see some absolutely hideous and grotesque outfits available so I can flaunt my utter lack of style to others.

maxx69
Dec 30, 2011, 02:27 AM
Wow, a lot of killjoys in this thread. Why can't we just have fun listing things that we want in the game? Who cares whether Sega reads it or not?

Enforcer MKV
Dec 30, 2011, 02:29 AM
er...well....because that's the original point?

And I agree with the OP, just saying that some of the stuff they ask for might already be in for Alpha 2, unbeknownst to us.

Cayenne
Dec 30, 2011, 03:01 AM
I never said don't send it, I'm saying make your "list" and your "letter" on this board so everyone can read it and add more to it.

I'm all for this but truth be told SEGA wants feedback from those that experienced the actual game firsthand than anyone else in the world that's just shouting ideas with no idea how it plays, that's what I would do if i wanted good real feedback.

Mitz
Dec 30, 2011, 10:40 AM
It wouldn't be a feedback letter though, it would be a letter with suggestions and hopes.

Personally, go for it. Even if it's just to show that the western community really cares.

ThePendragon
Dec 30, 2011, 01:34 PM
The letter campaign we should all be working on is for them to localize the game and give the localized version parity with the japanese one. For them to keep us in the loop and part of the process and stop neglecting us, who have supported them as much if not more than their japanese fans.

But if you're going to send this anyways, tell them to return to PA lvling from PSU. Finding discs is idiotic. They just need to rebalance the leveling. I don't want some random noob to magically have higher level techs than me just because he got lucky on his first run. It's absurd. I also don't want to be stuck at lvl 10 PA's for my whole life because I'm unlucky. Skill is earned, not found on the floor.

Cayenne
Dec 30, 2011, 02:51 PM
If i had my way I would say keep the majority of PSU elements out of PSO2 but if i had to ask for something I would say bring it overseas because us stupid fat americans (according to the rest of the world) can't read jap.

Yata The Prophet
Dec 31, 2011, 07:33 AM
Here's the Japanese address, OP.

http://www.sega.com/corporate/

Sega of Japan 株式会社セガ
1-2-12 Haneda
Ohta-ku
Tokyo 144-8531
Japan

http://ircalc.usps.com

Expect to pay bout $30. Ask the P.S. the max weight you can send. Fill that sucker with letters, ehhhh?
Good luck with the idea. Worth a try.
edit: Ship it Priority Mail® International Small Flat Rate Box. be sure to tell the Postal Service you are shippping BOOKS. You can't send letters at flat rate.
Again, good luck.

ThePendragon
Jan 3, 2012, 02:11 PM
If i had my way I would say keep the majority of PSU elements out of PSO2 but if i had to ask for something I would say bring it overseas because us stupid fat americans (according to the rest of the world) can't read jap.

So your e-mail would be pretty simple. Make it suck, hard.

Cayenne
Jan 3, 2012, 05:57 PM
So your e-mail would be pretty simple. Make it suck, hard.

How would that message convince SEGA to bring PSO2 overseas?

ThePendragon
Jan 3, 2012, 06:21 PM
It wouldn't. It'd be intended to keep all the progress they've made out of the new game. That's what you said in the quote above.

Cayenne
Jan 4, 2012, 04:15 AM
I was being sarcastic but you didn't get it, don't take what I said serious.

r00tabaga
Jan 4, 2012, 10:37 AM
No, he's right...more pso and less psu

My Room, dodge roll, blocking and PAs I'm good with...

PMs, Beast race and space bikinis I can live without...

RedRaz0r
Jan 4, 2012, 01:34 PM
No, he's right...more pso and less psu

My Room, dodge roll, blocking and PAs I'm good with...

PMs, Beast race and space bikinis I can live without...

You can take away my pms...you can even take away my slaves-errrrr-beasts, but you will NEVER take my space bikinis!

Macman
Jan 4, 2012, 04:16 PM
You can take away my pms...you can even take away my slaves-errrrr-beasts, but you will NEVER take my space bikinis!Don't worry, it's Japan. You'll get your space bikinis for your 4-foot tall DD cup Newmans.

NoiseHERO
Jan 4, 2012, 04:18 PM
Don't worry, it's Japan. You'll get your space bikinis for your 4-foot tall DD cup Newmans.

HEY AMERICA HAS 4 FOOT TALL DD CUP WOMEN TOO.

AND SOME OF EM ARE ATTRACTIVE!

BIG OLAF
Jan 4, 2012, 05:35 PM
Don't worry, it's Japan. You'll get your space bikinis for your 4-foot tall DD cup Newmans.

The first part sounds great, but the second part isn't too appealing.

Ark22
Jan 4, 2012, 09:31 PM
I dig chicks with huge tits showing them off. But I don't call it perverted, just hot B). But since they added TEH JIGGLE FACTORS, they will damn sure add bikinis. Those crafty asians.

maxx69
Jan 4, 2012, 10:03 PM
The first part sounds great, but the second part isn't too appealing.

You like 4 foot tall girls, but not DD cup Newmans?

•Col•
Jan 5, 2012, 12:55 AM
You like 4 foot tall girls, but not DD cup Newmans?

loli newmans?

inb4zyrusticaerage

Macman
Jan 6, 2012, 02:04 AM
The first part sounds great, but the second part isn't too appealing.Yes. That was the joke. Thank you for your observation.