PDA

View Full Version : The world without console PSO2

Bernkastel
Jan 2, 2012, 05:11 AM
You look at your copy of PSO Plus and think, "I can play that at any time if I want, I can even play the multiplayer with my friends"

Now just imagine PSO2. A game where you will most likely buy it, use a key loose track of the case and disk because of their uselessness now and days when it comes to PC games.

In 5-6 years when PSO2 eventually closes down, you can't look at your PSO2 case and think "I loved that game and I can still play it with my friends" Nope. It will just be a useless piece of plastic, not even playable alone...

Besides that, in a world without a console PSO2, there will never be a casual time of hanging out with 3 other friends just playing for the fun of it.

The best you can do is try to schedule some kind of LAN party, which, even then, it's still just not the same. WAY too much effort to accomplish what something like a PS3 could do and what the gamecube and xbox did in the past.

Now, I wouldn't be saying this if it weren't from already experiencing the worthlessness of the USA PC PSU. At least you can still play that single player, but who wants to do that?

I didn't make this thread to hear the same old skipping records repeating the same lines "but this way the game can be updated without limitations!" and such (since stand alone versions can be made for consoles, just like what was done in PSO), it's just a thread to imagine what PSO would be to all of us today if the only version that ever existed was PSO:BB

(This is all based on current knowledge, I know anything is possible in the future)

Nitro Vordex
Jan 2, 2012, 05:52 AM
This thread's not gonna go anywhere good.

Also it'll more than likely be a downloadable game, so that point is out the window for keys and discs. Same with BB, was a downloadable client. As it is now, games hardly focus on local multiplayer anymore, since we have the rise of the internet, and in reality five or six years down the road, you probably wouldn't even be able to get your friends together for such a gaming time. (Depending on how old you are, of course.)

I never got to play BB on the Sega servers. If I had, I might have had a different opinion of it.

Then again, I might have had a better computer and life, so there's too many what if's to imagine for such a thing.

Angelo
Jan 2, 2012, 05:54 AM
If it means server hosted player data and faster content updates then I'm willing to live with it. Sega is never going to give us client side player saves again because of how easy it is to manipulate... so even if we had a console release it would be like PSU where our characters are gone once the servers go down.

Besides... there will always be 'alternate methods' to play the game once the server goes down, but we're sort of going down a forbidden path with that topic so I'll leave it at that.

SolRiver
Jan 2, 2012, 08:16 AM
I won't miss console version at all.

Look at people with team fortress 2 console version. They aren't happy.

5 or 6 years later, I will probably be playing PSO3.

I never liked playing PSO multiplayer offline. Bogged down graphic, super expensive "good enough" size TV, lagging game, invisible monster, getting hit from no where... wait a second, why would anyone enjoy that? Or do people not play multiplayer offline before? Now I feel the OP did not play multiplayer PSO offline enough.

I play with my siblings offline decently often, and none of us missed it. We miss PSO very much though. I love PSO so much, I even love PSO episode 3. However I never tried PSO:BB, as I couldnt justify monthly fee for little new content. PSU, PSzero, and so on haven't quite live up to expectation though.

I will miss being able to bring offline character to online. Too bad cheaters got their way with it.

str898mustang
Jan 2, 2012, 09:53 AM
PSO2 will be PC only.....deal with it

Dre_o
Jan 2, 2012, 10:38 AM
First: PSO2 will be PC only. I don't want to be a dick about it but: deal with it. It went PC only because the developers actually want to be able to READILY support the game instead of having to contact Microsoft, schedule a downtime, wade through red tape, THEN update. (Also: if you want a seriously obvious example of why PC has greater supportability than a console, look up Team Fortress 2 for console, and then look up Team Fortress 2 for PC.)

Second: Your entire post was phased out by your last sentence: we don't know what the future holds.

Third: I can say, after playing MANY hours of offline multi-player with my 2 brothers on a normal-sized, early 21st century TV as well as many hours of Blue Burst NOT on local multi-player, that "tiny squint-o-vision" PSO will not be missed.

maxx69
Jan 2, 2012, 10:50 AM
>2012
>Case
>Disc
>Split screen

I seriously hope you guys don't do this.

Cayenne
Jan 2, 2012, 10:59 AM
Does the idea of a game that has Online in the title being Online ONLY confuse you? Is having a true Online version of an Online game baffle your mind?

Also I did imagine a world where there was only PSO BB and it was great, then I woke up and realize there's been too many console versions released (a lot of them crap).

Also to the mod, I'd suggest this thread get close quick before it blows up.

Anon_Fire
Jan 2, 2012, 11:26 AM
Ugh, why did this topic have to come back?

NoiseHERO
Jan 2, 2012, 11:31 AM
Wanting this game to be on Console would be like wanting Zelda on XBOX.

It's not impossible.

It's just not happening.

PC only means PC only

Oh and +1 post before thread is locked.

Akaimizu
Jan 2, 2012, 11:39 AM
The resurfacing of this topic again and again is going to become a PSO-World meme at this rate. The question is, will we want this to become a PSO-World meme? And if we don't are we powerless to stop it?

Let them simply finish what they have put time to work on. Let them do it well. For now, we can watch. Perhaps they'll consider something of the sort after it is well and done. At least, they are putting a big single effort in producing a Phantasy Star game saving the resources otherwise dealing with cross-platform development. Perhaps, this method will produce a better overall product. We did get the oft-celebrated solidly thought-out game we all know and love called PSO back when they were developing for only 1 platform first. The dreamcast.

Cayenne
Jan 2, 2012, 11:42 AM
I got a better topic to talk about, ready?

IHOP or Denny's.

Go!

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Jan 2, 2012, 11:49 AM
IHOP!! no discussion, have you tried their French Toast? oh, and more on topic, nothing we can do will change Sega's mind if it is indeed set on PC exclusive, sure it'd be loads better on console with offline mode, but there's absolutely nothing anyone can do, if the game were console exclusive, PC fans would be the ones on this side of the debate so give it up, like I did, if it's not coming to consoles it's not coming to consoles.

BIG OLAF
Jan 2, 2012, 12:45 PM
A world without console PSO2 would be a better world, indeed.

Enforcer MKV
Jan 2, 2012, 02:14 PM
Ok, Bern, I'm sorry to say, but that isn't likely to happen; Firstly, it's been years since a console MMO (look, I'm doing this for simplicity's sake, I don't want anyone to get on me with "it's not an MMO." Just let me use this blasted term in this instance.) has been done well. If PSO2 was done correctly, and then later brought to Consoles, yeah, I'd be ecstatic. But, truly, Sega upset so many people with PSU (actually, I'm not one of them, I still play it on and off.) that it might be better for them to drop console support, and go with PC exclusivity. The fact of the matter is, if they want to produce this to the highest quality that they can, the best way of doing that is focusing on a single platform; that's what they're doing, and they chose PC.

Trust me, you're not the only one bothered by this. But who knows, maybe if they get the IP back on it's feet, maybe, just maybe, they'll go back to their console roots. Only time will tell.

str898mustang
Jan 2, 2012, 02:19 PM
IHOP of course!

Shakuri
Jan 2, 2012, 02:51 PM
Stuff

What you're doing here... I see it. :bored:

Cayenne
Jan 2, 2012, 02:53 PM
IHOP wins!

•Col•
Jan 2, 2012, 03:20 PM
PSO2 console version doesn't guarantee splitscreen local multiplayer anyway.

Just look at PSU for the 360.

If PSO2 was released on a console, I guarantee there won't be local multiplayer on it.

pikachief
Jan 2, 2012, 03:22 PM
Idk I prefer Denny's but that's because the IHOP near me isn't open 24 hours and the Denny's is :P

Cayenne
Jan 2, 2012, 03:36 PM
Denny's is great for last call fights, I've seen 2 giant brawls at my local Denny's. They were great but annoying, they were fighting in the kitchen, throwing chairs, throwing each other at cars in the parking lots, I even saw the chefs come out with their butcher knifes telling them to leave.

So IHOP for the food and Denny's when nothing else is open and you want to see title bouts!

Bernkastel
Jan 2, 2012, 04:43 PM
I guess these are all some good points. I guess It's a pretty good thing, I am at least glad all my friends have good computers able to play PSO2. I'm probably just stuck in "nostalgia". To me, it's just sad to think that a split screen multiplayer wont ever exist for it, rather then a plea for it to exist, since, like I said, Everyone I know will be able to play it anyways.

But I honestly believe that a lot of the fame for PSO now and days is thanks to that offline multiplayer of gamecube and xbox. 10 year old kids were able to easily pick up the game and then play with 4 friends. many of them today are the same people sitting here waiting for PSO2.

PlinderD
Jan 2, 2012, 05:16 PM
Oh the joys of loving only one game franchise. I shall never experience those

In 6 years

Me: "Oh no I can't play PSO2 anymore unless I log on to some private server! *fake sob* Oh well time to go play FFXV, Elder Scrolls VI, Warcraft IV, Diablo IV--"

lol who am I kidding Diablo IV will be released in 20 years.

Fenn777
Jan 2, 2012, 05:21 PM
I'm completely fine with PSO2 being PC only, online-only.

I'm utterly depressed that splictscreen multiplayer is dying so rapidly. How can I be one of the few people who enjoys the experience of sitting in the same room with 3 other people playing a game? The convenience and economy of playing together with 4 people requiring only 1 console and 1 copy of the game. The pick-up-and play nature of "hey guys, we're hanging out at my house, lets boot up the Wii/Xbox360/PS3 and play together."

In ten years, if I'm sitting around with my gamer friends, and we want to play together, here are our options:

- WE ALL LEAVE and return to our own homes to play together
- Take turns playing on one screen, cutting out 75% of everyone's game time (assuming only 4 people).
- For PC games, everyone has to own a copy of the game and own a gaming laptop capable of running it.

That's idiotic. Social gaming get togethers? HA! Spontaneous game sessions? HA! Nope, in order to play with a group of people everyone must coordinate efforts and make heavy sacrifices. Bye bye social gaming.

Cayenne
Jan 2, 2012, 05:26 PM
I am at least glad all my friends have good computers able to play PSO2.

What!? You made it sound like no one you knew could play PSO2. So you had an issue with the entire game when you yourself had no issue about it at all.

Can we stop these womanly rants?

lostinseganet
Jan 2, 2012, 07:52 PM
The xbox 360 and ps3 are at the edge of their demise. It would not be a good idea to put such a game on there systems with new ones on the way. sooo You would have to wait for the next gen to realistically maybe see it on consoles. Also all the xbox games are going to be playing by themselves; MS demands it. Pc can do all the things consoles can, but not the other way around. Maybe they might put it on ps3 or onlive.

tim_pkmn89
Jan 2, 2012, 08:29 PM
I'm completely fine with PSO2 being PC only, online-only.

I'm utterly depressed that splictscreen multiplayer is dying so rapidly. How can I be one of the few people who enjoys the experience of sitting in the same room with 3 other people playing a game? The convenience and economy of playing together with 4 people requiring only 1 console and 1 copy of the game. The pick-up-and play nature of "hey guys, we're hanging out at my house, lets boot up the Wii/Xbox360/PS3 and play together."

In ten years, if I'm sitting around with my gamer friends, and we want to play together, here are our options:

- WE ALL LEAVE and return to our own homes to play together
- Take turns playing on one screen, cutting out 75% of everyone's game time (assuming only 4 people).
- For PC games, everyone has to own a copy of the game and own a gaming laptop capable of running it.

That's idiotic. Social gaming get togethers? HA! Spontaneous game sessions? HA! Nope, in order to play with a group of people everyone must coordinate efforts and make heavy sacrifices. Bye bye social gaming.

Or you could just play a game designed for offline mulitiplayer. Last I checked, a ton of games still support it. I can't think of one time I've ran into this problem on any game I've played.

Fayorei
Jan 2, 2012, 09:49 PM
Who's to say what the fan community would or would not do when the service eventually goes down? Don't be so pessimistic, I'd say. PC only doesn't really bother me. I never got the big fuss about needing PSO2 on a console- perhaps this is because I played BB. I also played PSU PC-wise when that came out.

As for the other more important discussion, IHOP every time. Strawberry Cheesecake Pancakes.

Angelo
Jan 2, 2012, 10:07 PM
The game seems like it's being made with a game controller in mind, so I really do not care what platform it's on.

Also, Denny's. I'm not really a breakfast guy, and I work graveyard shift...

Bernkastel
Jan 2, 2012, 10:11 PM
Oh, and Denny's of course. Gotta love that buffalo chicken sandwich!

pikachief
Jan 2, 2012, 11:39 PM
I guess these are all some good points...

Not gonna lie, I was fully expecting this post to be about Dennys and IHOP.

Zyrusticae
Jan 3, 2012, 12:01 AM
Can we stop these womanly rants?
Heh. Hehe.

Not sure you wanna use that as an adjective. Just sayin'. ;-)

BIG OLAF
Jan 3, 2012, 12:20 AM
Uh-oh, Cayenne. You used "womanly" as a....

... pejorative!

Angelo
Jan 3, 2012, 02:38 AM
No, you guys.

No.

Bomber The Cosmonaut
Jan 3, 2012, 02:48 AM
I prefer IHOP. Don't think I've ever been to a Denny's before.

Anyways..

Cayenne
Jan 3, 2012, 03:02 AM
You've never been to a Denny's?

You better go right NOW and order some country fried steak and eggs with extra gravy!

Enforcer MKV
Jan 3, 2012, 03:31 AM
Can we get a lock and key on this thread now, please? I feel this is turning into unnecessary satire....