PDA

View Full Version : The Greatest Moments Together - From gaming to just hanging out

Kaji Motomiya
Jan 10, 2012, 03:03 AM
We have those moments. Y'know, the moments you'll never ever forget when you do stuff like go to the movies, or play games like Phantasy Star or Left 4 Dead with your friends. The funny moments, the triumphant moments, the facepalm moments, and so on. Let's take the time...to share the moments that are important in our lives that we'll never, ever forget. Because we can look back at them and laugh/sigh/shake our heads.

--

Back when I first met my circle of friends, we spent a good summer or so playing Phantasy Star Online: Blue Burst with each other over Skype. One of our own personal accomplishments is running through the online story mode thing, where we go through four stages in order to fight Dark Falz.

In the 4th stage, we just cleared a room, and we have two doors to go to. My friend, the party leader, begins to approach these doors. This is how it went down...

B: *approaches door*
Me: Yo man, don't go that way!
J: Why shouldn't he?
Me: That looks like a long corridor, man. Bad sh** always happens at the end of long corridors.
B: *goes to the other door* Oh look, Kaji! An equally-as-long corridor!

Needless to say, that moment stuck in our heads forever. It was pretty late that night, and I'll admit that I was getting sleepy. But it was still pretty damn funny...

So what do you guys got to share?

Rashiid
Jan 10, 2012, 11:20 AM
First Halo, around when it just came out.
Cousin and I were playing co-op.
Grunt through a plasma grenade at me, but I have a huge, huge TV downstairs. I was backing up in my chair like it was coming at me, and fell back and smacked my head on this metal...thing. Hurt like shit, but I was laughing too hard at what just happened.

I can't type out the 5k+ hilarious moments in Smash Bros Brawl on campus. We're too funny.

Outrider
Jan 10, 2012, 11:30 AM
I always go back to the original Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles when I think of great co-op moments. One summer during college, I got together pretty regularly with some friends to work through the game's campaign. We didn't get very far (maybe only the fourth or fifth year), but the interplay between the character classes was great. I still remember getting up to the first boss and learning by accident that my Clavat could plunk down his shield to defend the other characters while they charged up a spell. Typing it out makes it seem like such a small little detail, but I hadn't played many co-op games that relied so much on direct teamwork. That really was a great co-op game. It's a shame that the GBA-requirement kind of killed off any chance of it being a success.

Kaji Motomiya
Jan 10, 2012, 11:52 AM
I always go back to the original Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles when I think of great co-op moments. One summer during college, I got together pretty regularly with some friends to work through the game's campaign. We didn't get very far (maybe only the fourth or fifth year), but the interplay between the character classes was great. I still remember getting up to the first boss and learning by accident that my Clavat could plunk down his shield to defend the other characters while they charged up a spell. Typing it out makes it seem like such a small little detail, but I hadn't played many co-op games that relied so much on direct teamwork. That really was a great co-op game. It's a shame that the GBA-requirement kind of killed off any chance of it being a success.

Oh god, that game. It was fun for a time. But reading this, oh man, I can imagine the hardships you went through before learning this fact...

Sayara
Jan 10, 2012, 11:58 AM
UMadvCapcom3

Ph. DODGE THIS!
Akuma: OK. *Raging Demon* KO

Yueri
Jan 10, 2012, 01:48 PM
I used to make short comics about them...
But then I became forever alone.

I cannot even recall them anymore...
But looking back at some of them most are abou some funny statements.
Such as when I was in the lead in Mario Kart. My brother laughed when I drove into a fake box and called that driver an idiot.
"That idiot is me..." I said. "I got so stressed because everyone is just constantly targeting me. ...Because I am the fatest (playing as Bowser)!"

But what actually is the most memorable, now that I think about it...
I let my brother try out Wind Waker and did that seagull control thing... he jamed the seagul under/inside a parasol on Link's island. NEVER to get out...
Like how does one manage... But we laughed!

Mantiskilla
Jan 10, 2012, 02:10 PM
As a kid I was lucky enough to have 5 buddies on my street and we were all the same age. Of course with the NES era just kicking off every weekend was a rotation of sleep overs and of course what did we do all night? Play NES till dawn. I remember when we all were trying to beat Mega Man 2. To this day I'll never forget just how hard it was to pass Quick Man and Bubble Man stages b/c of insta-death obstacles. Of course now Bubble Man stage is like one of my all time favorite MM stages and MM2 is still one of the top 5 best MM games created (my opinion of course). Trips to the arcade to play all those cool 4p and 6p arcade games with friends was a lot of fun as well

Keilyn
Jan 10, 2012, 02:40 PM
Legends War 2004. My favorite moment of all time in Video Gaming.

We had become the only remaining North American Team during the second month of the tournament and we went on to win the tournament. That night waiting in suspense was killer. I had ran tactics along with a friend from South America who we had played games together and shared a relationship in development and modding too.

We won against the Koreans and made a lot of friends at the time.

At the end I remember the Korean was typing to me in English, and I was challenged and managed to win by five kill difference combined in three maps.

Afterwards we both expressed the same worry and desire. We wanted our teams to win, but couldn't get by the fact that not everyone is trained in different games and that sometimes kids just want to be kids and won't stick to the plan.

Not to mention the maps created for tournament play aren't always the fairest and balanced of maps. So many maps exist where spawn location really does matter, specially for teams...so a team spawns and then fights the other team in order to claim the area on the map that gives the greatest advantage to the team.

The way we celebrated was by becoming friends with the top three teams and for a few weeks just playing rounds endlessly. We were happy that we weren't stuck to the stringent rules of the tournament and could just play.

Many years playing shooters and I still manage to suicide at times with those large AoE weapons. ^_^ Point blank redeemer anyone? ^_^ Remember the stereotype! Newbs use heavies, while Elites use Rifles and Pistols. ^_^

Outrider
Jan 10, 2012, 03:44 PM
Oh god, that game. It was fun for a time. But reading this, oh man, I can imagine the hardships you went through before learning this fact...

Well, as I mentioned it was discovered during the first level, so... not very many hardships at all, actually.

And it wasn't that I discovered the "defend" button, it's that I realized the Clavat could negate all incoming attacks and act as a literal wall between a party-member and a projectile.

NoiseHERO
Jan 10, 2012, 04:13 PM
Fighting over drops and which ryuker we take in Phantasy Star Offline...

Too many melee and brawl moments.

Going on flirty adventures in Phantasy Star Universe.

Having a scavenger hunt with two other complete strangers... in the bronx e_e wait I hated that one, but it was still funny.

Crazyleo
Jan 11, 2012, 11:13 AM
I remember one time years ago, me and a group of friends were playing a co-op multi-player game of quake. We were kicking ass & taking names through the first three episodes.

When we got to the 4th episode, one of the players shot another player. Afterward we all just way-laid into each other; laughing like maniacs in the mean time. :-P

Such fun when network gaming was at its best before multi-player fps shooters became mainstream.

NegaTsukasa
Jan 11, 2012, 07:45 PM
Man. I got so many.

I remember the games from the top of my head that bring back the most nostalgia with friends were...

James Bond: Golden Eye, N64.
My old friends and I from my old city would have sleep overs and play this till the break of dawn. so many laughs and rage that was later forgiven. lol
Another one was perfect Dark. Which I recently got again. right up there with Golden Eye.

Super smash bros series:
has always and still does have a place for probably the best hilarity and good times over the years with my friends. We even got a few Youtube vids up of some of our most recent stuff we did on Brawl. :P

PSO: Mostly a good memory with just one other friend of mine that practically leveled up with me through the entire game offline. the best part was introducing new friends to the game and getting them hooked. even if it was just for a little while.

Pokemon: Need I say more? especially the original G/S/C days.

Parappa the Rappa:
one good time at a best friend's house during her birthday party. commentary literally deserved a plaque. we were on the floor. and our stomachs hurt by the end of the day from laughing.

Keilyn
Jan 11, 2012, 08:42 PM
Another moment of mine..

DDS, a made up condition called "Desert-Death Syndrome" from my days of having the worse of luck in Desert maps in multiplayer or split-player games.

It started with Armored Core on Playstation. I would go over a friend's house and we would make "mobile-suit" type mechs. I would go around with rockets, swords and missiles (at times) and kill off the other player.

We hated the entire split screen until someone made netplay with playstation emulators that worked ok with some armored core games, failed miserably with others.

Story goes I would make a lot of kills, but usually when I would die, I would in desert or brushland areas. The same happened in shooters when in one I would die in front of a cactus.

The only Deserts that I loved where I didn't die in funny ways was that small desert in FF-1 where the Airship pops up, but don't talk to me about that crappy desert with the tower in the middle. The other desert in which I didn't die tons strangely was the one in Xenogears.

As a joke, friends would say I had DDS and I did all to avoid deserts. I remember the nightmare that blasted desert in FF-11 was, thanks to all the newbies.

Of course I actually like Deserts in the real world, and have had luck in them...though games always love to put nasty things in deserts.

Other moments...

I remember all the Street Fighter Alpha 3 moments. I would have memory cards filled with data and go to gaming club, friend's houses to have fun. I was a Sakura and Dhalsim fan. I still can hear my friends jokingly saying "Yoga Puke!"

Chukie sue
Jan 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
I was with two of my closest friends irl a year and half ago during the summer - So we took a huge slingshot, stuck a huge stick in the ground to brace one half of it while another person held the other side. The second person pulled the slingshot back and loaded it, while the third was like 50 yards away with a baseball bat or tennis racket launching 4-10lb water balloons.

After getting a few home runs I decided to stop a big one with my chest and cool off. Well, I jumped it the air to "chest bump" it but instead breaking it stayed completely intact upon contact and it knocked me to the ground leaving a huge welt. It hurt like nuts but I was laughing SO HARD (you know, those really deep laughs that start out silent). I finally got up to look at my friends and they were laughing so hard it was silent for like 15 seconds.