PDA

View Full Version : The End of PSO.

RedVento
Mar 5, 2001, 01:23 PM
Hm.... Ive been seeing this lately also. While I'm not at the point of quitting, my friend is.. Last night he told me he went into a game with 3 lvl 40 characters, and they all had celled mags, 2 of them had chain sawd's and the 3rd switched between the infernal bazooka and spread needle. He is ready to quit, I think he want's to quit, he has gotten disgusted by the game and his inablity to find any rare items.. Luckily for me I get more determined.. but I'll check back in after I've logged 400 hours and still can't find anything.

JaDe
Mar 5, 2001, 01:57 PM
Whoa!....whats going on in our world of PSO....everyone, and I mean everyone has either a holy ray, egg blaster, and all the mag cells and hearts...i've seen so many to the point where I ask myself why I am still playing...i've been playing ever since this game had came out....and all I had in my mind was these rare items and weapons...so night in and night out i would put many man hours in playing this game trying to look for these items....but now as I see so many people with them....I have lost all interest in the game...interaction with other people is fun....but I like going hunting for these weapons...it gave me that drive to keep on lookin'..but now that the dupers have gotten there hands on these such items....it feels like this will probably be the end for PSO....at least for me it is!. anyone agree?????

myau1
Mar 5, 2001, 02:01 PM
Why are you guys playing the game based on items or what items players have? When I log on I play to kill all the bosses and generally just have fun killing monsters in the 4 levels. Items are meaningless to me. Its sad to see a game with so much emphasis on items and not on story, because if we had a few more levels a some plot development, we would be playing to find out what happens next.

Jihatsu
Mar 5, 2001, 02:05 PM
Yes.

http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Manny
Mar 5, 2001, 02:08 PM
After a while the killing gets boring. I am only still on PSO because of the people not the game.

Shado
Mar 5, 2001, 02:14 PM
It's not the end...

It does bring a valid point though... a valid point against duping. Which is why I fully support Sonic Teams anti-cheating policy.

As for you, JaDe, you really shouldn't be playing the game based upon what others have. However, a solution may be to "jump ship", so to speak. It's very possible your Ship/Block is saturated at the moment. I'm sure there's still a quiet little corner away from the dupers in PSO. Besides... what are you gonna do when PSO 2 comes out, and the duping is stopped... What are you gonna do if PSO characters transfer???

Elrathan
Mar 5, 2001, 02:14 PM
Play offline or online only with friends. Don't be jealous of the dupers. The fast path to satisfaction is not the best path. Of course games usually don't hold their coolness forever.

I haven't actually seen anyone that I would think duped items. I think most people are honest and play to have fun. Personally because we are not dealing with a persistent online world with PSO, I don't care if people cheat...to each his own.

Xria
Mar 5, 2001, 02:27 PM
When you reach level 100 guys, item hunting is your goal, and a lot of us used to enjoy item hunting before duping started. Now why would we want to find an item everyone and there mother has?

SeQrEt_1
Mar 5, 2001, 02:57 PM
if everyone has one why don't I http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif play with friends it solves alot of problems.

ScaraB
Mar 5, 2001, 03:57 PM
The levels themselves get stale fast.

Interacting with people is fun.

But the drive to keep playing as your level increases is usually based on finding rare items. Trading with people is fun. It was obviously encouraged by Sonic Team.

Duping has ruined that. It has taken all of the joy from ultra rares. Because they arent ultra rare anymore. Anyone you see with a good weapon now - what's the first thing you think - I wonder if that's duped? Duping has ruined the game for me.

Playing only with people you know well is a good idea, but breaks down when you think realistically. So you have a group of people - are you going to get EVERYONE to agree to only trade within the group? And why the hell should I have to isolate myself from the world, when the game is meant to be played quite literally WITH the world?

Sega and Sonic Team dropped the ball. I have over 200 hours logged on two characters, and at least I got the majority of my fun in before the duping started. Oh well, anymore I'm just looking forward to the next games, Daytona, UT, etc.

Jesus
Mar 5, 2001, 04:16 PM
You should play with people you trust and don't cheat. I've played 65 hours and the only rare items I've seen are spread needle and frying pan. And double saber but those don't seem too rare. The people I play with in Puck 10 don't use codes and most other people don't.

Defend
Mar 5, 2001, 04:29 PM
I like that..
You can't play your character on another DC.
You can't go online without your DC being registered.
You can't go online without an access code.
You can't copy character files.
You can't have more than one character ona VMU.

Yet it's the worst cheating in a DC game yet.

PowerSlave
Mar 5, 2001, 04:40 PM
Its not really the duping that bothers me. Im not really out to impress or show-off items. While trading for items is easy, there's no match to the feeling of finding those items yourself,,,,thats what makes it fun for me to play. You know the feeling when you kill the gigobooma and you walk up to the green item expecting another moon atomizer and you blink twice as the left corner says "cell of mag 502." Thats why I keep playing this game. Dont let others ruin it for you!!!!!!

Anthroplasm
Mar 5, 2001, 05:34 PM
I agree with Power Slave. Getting that "?Special Weapon" and finding out it's a Rare instead of DB Blade is more fun than having someone handing your the duped "Egg Blaster". In fact, I personally only trade for "? Special Weapon" version of the rare items.

There are many reasons why I prefer "? Special Weapon" over identified ones.

1) Think of this a PSO's shrink wrap of genuine quality. Most duppers are dupping identified version of the weapon that is already Max Grinded. This is almost a dead give away.

2) Getting the best stats. Some folks, like myself, game hopping and finding the best Tekker that give you the little extra (photon points) on your rare.

3) Look for high level standard weapon with godly stats instead of unique item. Most duppers aren't interested in standard weapons, but some of them are really good. I personally own a Geist Vulcaon (9Stars) and Geist Gunginr (9Stars, 40+% vs Dark). Hell, I am an android and they are useless to me, but they sure are rare as hell.

Socrates
Mar 5, 2001, 05:40 PM
I have to agree. It's not a case of 'playing it according to what other people have', but there is an element of the thrill of discovery in it.

I like the idea of being finding something new, whether literally finding it myself, or finding someone who has the item. For example, if I see someone with a Mag I've never seen before, that's cool. Same thing with a weapon, or whatever.

That novelty is one thing that gives the game it's flavor -- the fact that there are so many different 'rare' weapons out there. But novelty has to be measured, otherwise it's all used up ina short time, and there's nothing left looking forward to.

For example, i saw my first Egg Blaster last night, owned by a lvl 65 character. Was it duped? Have no idea. I was rather surprised to see arguably one of the rarest items in the game in the hands of a lvl 65, though, and that sort of took a little wind out of my sails, because while it was cool, I didn't know if it was gotten legitimately.

I remember when I was still like, level 15, and I went online on to be taken through the Ruins by a lvl 100 Japanese player. He had a shotgun-type weapon. Now, I had never before seen a shotgun-type weapon, and when he first walked into the room ahead of me and hit every creature in the room, that was cool. I knew at that moment that getting the best shot-type weapon would be my goal for the game (I even went ahead and created a new Ranger just to be able to wield them, who has now become my primary character).

Now? I've seen so many Spread Needles, etc. that such a goal seems rather blase anymore... http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_frown.gif

Now, I've been given a few items by people I trust (mostly people from here), but there's something about earning an item as opposed to having it given to you. Ultimately, after beating the game offline on Normal, I retired any weapon or item that I did not personally earn. I'm actually having more fun now.

And my current goal? Finding a Spread or better shot-type weapon with high Photon efficiency. Level 41, and I still use tend to use the same Shot +20 that I ground up from a Shot +2 back when I was lvl 12 or so. Finding the high Photon efficiecy is more difficult than finding the 'rares', I think! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_biggrin.gif

Ratsmack
Mar 5, 2001, 05:53 PM
My god...myau made an EXCELLENT point. *applause* Anyways, he's exactly right. If Sonic Team had said to its programmers "Forget making that Chain Sawd, let's all get to work on adding a few more levels and making the story a bit more...existant", the game would NOT be losing its play value fast. I agree, though, PSO will always have a loyal group that will never get tired of it, but I can see the end of PSO for ME. It's not right on me yet, I still like playing as my Hunter, but I can see where it's going to get tossed among all those beaten and crappy games. As for low levels with everything? So what. I either leave or I let them do whatever they want and keep on playing, ignoring them. The items may give me and many others a reason to keep playing, but that wouldn't be if Sonic Team hadn't focused ONLY on stuffing the game with rares. I've never played it, but why do you think EQ stays alive? Items, sure, there's tons of them, but its expansion packs add monsters and levels. Weapons get spread around, experience of gameplay doesn.

Glider
Mar 5, 2001, 05:57 PM
Most people who have a ton of items are ether obessed with PSO, or dupe. Personaly, I feel those people will lose interest first since they really don't have anymore to do.

myau1
Mar 5, 2001, 06:39 PM
I know what you mean guys. I meant that finding rare items should never be a focus of any real RPG! I love this game but it's focus is in the wrong place. Wether or not duping would have ever occured, people would eventually, get more than one of each item it a game like this. So to say that we need to stop dupping is like saying we should not trade, or give items to other players. Cheaters are not ruining this game unless you take thier items. As long as you refuse a dropped, dupped or extra item from another player your game is left intact.

So what if everyone has an eggblaster, every one is capable of finding it themselves and if they did that I think people would still be complaining. See my whole point it that we need another reason to keep playing this game, 3 different difficulties dont cut the mustard and neither do 4 levels. PSO 2 should fix alot of these problems. Face it the game is pretty shallow (but addicting) and once you've beatin it, it's pretty pointless to go again!

Zephyr
Mar 5, 2001, 07:15 PM
Ok, this is just my opinion and it's based on purely anecdotal evidence (my inabilty to find one uncommon rare in 300hrs and others similar problems), but I'm of the opinion that most mid to high level players, whether they want to admit it or not are using or own duped items. If you go to the trading forum you'll see people who even admit to duping masses of ultra rare equipment. When you ask someone where they found that delsaber's buster, or that photon claw (and these aren't especially rare) most of the time they will say they traded for it... if you ask where they got that spread needle or that infernal bazooka practically every one is from a trade. These people are kidding themselves if they don't think their item was duped (and then traded... and perhaps traded many times before it reached them). I bet even the one rare item I've traded for, my doublesaber was duped...

Velga
Mar 5, 2001, 07:41 PM
If pretty much decided that im done with pso. It hasnt gotten old yet, but knowing that there is no item econopmy hwat so ever pisses me off. When i first satrted playing i was hopping to find the ultra rare bab mo fo weapon so i could own everything or trade for some good stuff. Cant do that why would anyboby trade me if they can dupe there best item then trade it, then dupe that and so on. The diablo 2 expansion is comming out soon. Ill just go play that. No cheaters there. Well pretty soon here ill be saying bye bye pso.

JaDe
Mar 5, 2001, 11:19 PM
everyone has made excellent points about what should been have done instead of all these rare items...yeah...sonic team should have emphasized more on the gameplay and the depth of the storyline...but they didnt...instead they focused more on interaction between many game players all over the world..which is a good thing...but think about this....what else is there to do when youve reached that 100 level mark....not much...you can play with your online friends all u want..but how many times can u beat Dark Falz on very hard....and yeah u can always go make a different character...but when its all leveled up and youve defeated Dark Falz many times again...Now what is there to do...all there is to do now is item hunt...everyone wants some type of special rare weapon to play with....doesnt it feel real good when your walkin around the forest killin all those boomas then when you pass by that orange box that says special item....and when you bring it to the tekker..it comes out to be an Agito...of course your going to equip it and show all your friends what u have found...but now the feeling of finding something special is basically extinct now...now all I do is play for a hour or so just to play it when i'm bored....finding that special mag cell is pointless now...because about 80% of the players will have that cell...I have seen many low lovel characters with a opa opa mag...especially on puck block 9....and then these players ridicule u that all you have is a regular mag...WTF is that!...do any of you feel my pain...Yeah i know PSO should have had a better story...and yeah it should have more levels...but it doesnt...so were just stuck trying to find these not so precious rares...so do i think that this is the end of PSO...I dont know about everyone else..but it is for me!

JaDe
Mar 5, 2001, 11:19 PM
everyone has made excellent points about what should been have done instead of all these rare items...yeah...sonic team should have emphasized more on the gameplay and the depth of the storyline...but they didnt...instead they focused more on interaction between many game players all over the world..which is a good thing...but think about this....what else is there to do when youve reached that 100 level mark....not much...you can play with your online friends all u want..but how many times can u beat Dark Falz on very hard....and yeah u can always go make a different character...but when its all leveled up and youve defeated Dark Falz many times again...Now what is there to do...all there is to do now is item hunt...everyone wants some type of special rare weapon to play with....doesnt it feel real good when your walkin around the forest killin all those boomas then when you pass by that orange box that says special item....and when you bring it to the tekker..it comes out to be an Agito...of course your going to equip it and show all your friends what u have found...but now the feeling of finding something special is basically extinct now...now all I do is play for a hour or so just to play it when i'm bored....finding that special mag cell is pointless now...because about 80% of the players will have that cell...I have seen many low lovel characters with a opa opa mag...especially on puck block 9....and then these players ridicule u that all you have is a regular mag...WTF is that!...do any of you feel my pain...Yeah i know PSO should have had a better story...and yeah it should have more levels...but it doesnt...so were just stuck trying to find these not so precious rares...so do i think that this is the end of PSO...I dont know about everyone else..but it is for me!

JaDe
Mar 5, 2001, 11:20 PM

Id
Mar 6, 2001, 02:15 AM
I still dont think its the end just yet. I mean, the duping and stuff does get to me, but like the rest, the best thing to do is to play with friends or people you have met and trust. Its hard to sit there and try to kill stuff on hard in the mines, while some dude with an egg blaster sits and kills everything before I can run close enough to anything. But, the thing that people dont realize is that there has to be some items out there, that some people have not gotten yet, or that so few people have, that litteraly no one knows about them. Thats just my thoughts on it though.

Cyanide
Mar 6, 2001, 02:42 AM
Well then you need to find people you can trust thats all. Make a guild of non dupers Non-trading out of the guild and hopefully it will take off. Or join someone elses. I personally am partial to my Vise machine Gun with 35 to hit but thats just me http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Josh
Mar 6, 2001, 02:52 AM
Duping definitely ruins games. I used to play Diablo 1 a lot when it came out, but eventually people learned how to dupe(and hack and cheat and...), and this totally ruined the game. Being a computer game, you could download a cheating scanner with Diablo 1, that helped find out if people were cheating or not, but we can't do that with PSO. Unfortunately, we have no way to tell if the item we got from a friend or got in a trade was duped or not. It's really a shame, but this will ruin PSO. Some may not agree, but the fun of online rpgs is finding sweet items and showing them off to your friends. That's why people are starting to say that PSO is not fun anymore. I logged in over 120 hours and I have not found 1 good item(I'm still using a dragon slayer) and I get very pissed off when I see level 30 people using spread needles, and I ask where they got it and they say "from a friend" then I ask if it was gotten legitly and they either dont answer or admit that it was duped, (or they really did get it legitimately.) I also feel bad for the people who trade their hard-earned item for another item that was duped multiple times by the other person, so this other person didn't really lose anything and is getting a free super-rare item that he'll just dupe again and trade it again. It really sucks, but we have to live with it. Let's just hope that no one in the PSO world community is cheating in our Puck 9 games and maybe we can try to get permanent cheat-free games going on.

ScaraB
Mar 6, 2001, 03:14 PM
JaDe I know exactly what you mean. My first couple weeks with PSO, the game was like a narcotic almost, to lose sleep over. Now, yea, I'll play it cause I'm bored. Thank you dupers! Yay! The selfish, greedy common gamer.

Can't wait for some new games. Bring on Daytona and UT!

Cowboybebop
Mar 6, 2001, 10:01 PM
Not every low lvl character dupes I won a auction (not ebay alink on pso world) and the guy who I won it from was getting tired of pso so when he met me online so I could purchase the item. He dumped most of all the stuff he had because he was tired of the game. Needless to say my head nearly popped off. Then I was playing this one game and people looking for rares where dumping stuff that wasn't important to them I asked whose stuff it was they said yours if you want it so I grabbed it sold some kept some. But because of that I have a lot of stuff that I'd never come across at a low lvl character. But I didnt dupe anything, what really makes me laugh is when people leave behind protect dragon frames and general armors but will run down 198 meseta I just pick up the items when I get full I go back and sell them and make about 90000 a lvl easily on a hard game. Well to sum it up one man's trash is another man's treasure, so don't knock all low levels. Plus I take items I can't use with one character and will give it to a new charcter I started, so I think this is more about bragging rights than anything. I personally hate the fact that we have dupers and wish sega would split them apart or change the symbols to DUcast or something and thieves THiEMars.
That would be funny and effective because you'd know who to play with. But don't judge all low level charcters the same because a little time and patience you can pump up your mag and then work on character levels and be a level 7 one tough cookie. I know this is a lot of scrambled Ideas but I think the npoint is valid, I understand the frustration but not all people are dupers. Some of us just take the time to read the manual...slowly and come up with bright ideas.(none of which is duping)

<font size=1>[ This message was edited by: Cowboybebop on 2001-03-09 17:40 ]</font>