PDA

View Full Version : advertising on tv or the web

bakewell123
Jan 20, 2012, 07:42 PM
do you think sega will advertise pso2? im going to be honest i started online gaming on xbox360 back in late 2006, me and my brother had and xbox and he found psu only by browsing the xbox marketplace, and downloaded the demo. at first i was like "wut is this crud o.o" considering i only played cod4 halo and crackdown at the time.

before that i never even knew phantasy star even existed, i never saw tv ads which were the mainstream back then, and no one ever knew about it at my school when i asked what they played (i live in england so i guess thats understandable). i dont know if in america it was advertised but in england i never saw it, and i watched alot of tv then.

so do you think SoA or sega in general will try and do ads to boost there profit and game popularity, this game would suck if only the hardcore psu fans and the pso fans played, i guess what i am trying to say is the phantasy star series needs noobs, new people to bring back the community which psu seems to have broken somehow.

so yeah main question, do you think sega will try to advertise pso2 alot, even internationally maybe to europe?

Dre_o
Jan 20, 2012, 08:18 PM
If they know whats good for them (and looking at the recent changes and overall arc of the game, they do), they will.

But we'll just have to wait and see.

ashley50
Jan 20, 2012, 08:21 PM
nope, its not going to happen.

bakewell123
Jan 20, 2012, 08:32 PM
nope, its not going to happen.

in that case are they simply hoping that people will see the game from.... oh wait, face it, no new people, smaller community, people will start dropping away, no more phantasy star?

think about it, i dontt want to go on about consoles because judging by everyone seeing console threads go out of control, but anyway if there isnt a console port that is a portion of players that will stop playing.

so basically what im saying is, example if 10 people start playing from launch because of they knew phantasy start but 2 drop out because of any reason, then a month later 1 more drops out for bordom, thats 7 people, now after 5 months for example 8 people total have stopped playing, leaving 2 thats a pretty bad game right?

where as if they had 10 people at launch because of the previous titles and 2 drop out but 2 more join because of ads then they population will stay the same and if more join then it obviously will rise.

i know its a pain and boring to read blocks of text but i dont want phantast star dying.

another example: a country has 10 people in (this isnt actually the same but im gonna risk it anyway) but they never "made babies" they would die out eventually but they made more and more the population is everlasting almost.

finally what it comes down to is sega cant expect people to want to play there games forever, they need to find new fresh people to join the community, to bring a boost back to the population.

BIG OLAF
Jan 20, 2012, 08:55 PM
I doubt we'll see any adverts anywhere outside Japan. Maybe a quick blurb in some gaming magazines, but that's it.

Mag-X
Jan 20, 2012, 11:52 PM
I highly doubt it. Even during the heyday of the Dreamcast, I don't really remember seeing any advertising for PSO outside of the Dreamcast Magazine. I only got into it because everyone else on the Dreamcast Fanclub website played it.

ashley50
Jan 21, 2012, 04:02 AM
I doubt we'll see any adverts anywhere outside Japan. Maybe a quick blurb in some gaming magazines, but that's it.
This.

Sad, but that will be the reality.

Tetsaru
Jan 21, 2012, 06:27 AM
Well, they advertised Sonic Generations, plus Sonic showed up in a Progressive commercial, so I guess there's a chance... but then again, Phantasy Star isn't really well-known compared to Sonic. All the more reason to advertise it and let people know about it, I suppose. I miss Sega's old commercials... back when they hyped the shit out of PSO's online playability. Or something along the lines of the old Japanese Segata Sanshiro commercials. :D

Golto
Jan 21, 2012, 10:30 AM
SoA did run a lot of tv commericals for that craptastic kinect game 'Rise of Nightmares'. But I doubt Soa would spend 1/100th of that on pso2.

Zeota
Jan 23, 2012, 04:59 PM
They've definitely lost their edge since the "Genesis does" days when it comes to advertising. As for PSO, I seem to recall an ad in EGM saying "Now you can scream for help in 5 languages!" and it had the dragon in the background.

FOkyasuta
Jan 23, 2012, 05:02 PM
E3 and Game Magazines.

therealAERO
Jan 23, 2012, 06:03 PM
Fans could possibly help with a bit of advertising if only for our own sake.

Macman
Jan 24, 2012, 04:27 PM
Viral marketing is never seen as good, though.

Mike
Jan 24, 2012, 07:58 PM
Which is why Minecraft didn't sell over 4 million copies.

Jorrell
Jan 24, 2012, 08:15 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyEnJCgTZds

Anyone remember this piece of magic ? i wouldn't expect anything but we can only hope

AzureBlaze
Jan 24, 2012, 09:32 PM
The answer to the PSO era advertising (and Free Press!) Is "More than you would think"

Aside from Official Dreamcast Magazine headlining it there was all the stuff (and more!) in this post here

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=191492

which is sort of working to preserve their efforts because even 2 page spreads seem somewhat easily forgotten.

All that has nothing to do with PSO2 though...
PC games are usually handled a little differently than consoles WRT advertising, right? I mean, I'm certainly hoping we'll get some ads / worldwide release date / etc to facilitate the most excitement & player-base for this.

I will certainly be advertising it on my site/s when it comes out in the USA. As Mike mentions, it seems like even people telling others about something can become signifigant.

Mitz
Jan 24, 2012, 09:57 PM

Are you- Viral marketing is the best marketing. Cost/effect ratio anyway.

SEGA is just plain bad at advertising. What's the last time you saw a SEGA ad anywhere? Even the Sonic and Mario at the Olympic Games ad was done by Nintendo. Maybe game review sites will give it some decent coverage, and the fanbase is pretty dedicated as well. But don't expect much on SEGA's behalf.

NoiseHERO
Jan 24, 2012, 10:07 PM
So yeah if you guys want this game to not suck.

Get to telling everyone and everything, all the awesome stuff about this game as much and as hard as you can.

EVEN IF ALL 68 OF YOU HAVE TO SPREAD IT TO 1000 PEOPLE ON FACEBOOK AND EVERY INTERNET FORUMS YOU REGULATE AND ALL 3 OF YOUR FRIENDS AND YOUR 7 EX'S THEN MAKE 234235235 YOUTUBE VIDEOS EACH WITH POPULAR COMPLETELY UNRELATED TAGS AND SHOW EVERY OTHER ANNOYINGLY STUBBORN MMO GAMER THAT PSO2 IS BETTER THAN WHATEVER THE HELL THEY'RE ADDICTED TO!!!!

Golto
Jan 25, 2012, 09:46 AM
Does seeing Sonic try to sell car insurance in the US count as a Sega tv commerical?

Macman
Jan 26, 2012, 03:19 PM
Which is why Minecraft didn't sell over 4 million copies.And tons of people still think Notch is a total tool.

Miyoko
Jan 26, 2012, 03:23 PM
Throw it up on steam. Front page of the store, big advertisement for it. Considering it's a PC game, steam is the place to advertise.

Macman
Jan 26, 2012, 03:34 PM
Throw it up on steam. Front page of the store, big advertisement for it. Considering it's a PC game, steam is the place to advertise.
Doubtful. Steam and GarbageGuard don't work well together.

Fayorei
Jan 26, 2012, 04:08 PM
And tons of people still think Notch is a total tool.

Tool or not, 4 million copies sold of a game is nothing to scoff about.

I think it could be interesting if the community goes ahead and supports PSO2 any way it can. As in, making videos/graphics/reviews, etc. Word of mouth is pretty powerful as well. Seeing Gears of War commercials on TV isn't going to make me want GoW, as I'm fundamentally uninterested(and the commercials usually suck). If a friend says they'd like to play a game together, I'd be more inclined to play with them.

There's games that don't even have retail boxes anymore doing well. TV ads seem a bit archaic nowadays- gaming blogs, word of mouth, and youtube videos(especially gameplay heavy ones). Bam.