PDA

View Full Version : anyone thinking of importing after playing alpha2?

cosmos-169
Jan 29, 2012, 05:47 AM
i really like the game and i am thinking of importing it when it comes out,i didnt have much trouble with the japanese language and i played with japanese players mostly.

for those who played the japanese psu,do i need a japanese credit card to pay the monthly fees?i dont think SEGA confirmed if pso2 is p2p or f2p but am just asking : 3 .

Cayenne
Jan 29, 2012, 05:49 AM
What do you mean by importing? It's download only, no box or disc to buy and SEGA has accepted American credit cards in the past and I'm sure they will this time around.

cosmos-169
Jan 29, 2012, 05:56 AM
did sega say this game will be available for digital purchase only? hmm i didnt read about this anywhere so i guess i missed it..

ShadowDragon28
Jan 29, 2012, 06:01 AM
I will obtain/purchase this game, hell yes!

Vent
Jan 29, 2012, 06:06 AM
It has been my plan to play the Japanese version myself from the start. A US release is not even confirmed yet. Even though there is a language barrier, the history books tell us there is generally more content and more players on the Japanese servers. Besides, a language barrier does not imply you are not allowed to learn their language.

The one thing people should consider in my opinion is lag. However, I bet everyone playing the alpha has noticed, but PSO2 does a great job at minimizing the impact of latency on the game already. Since I live in Europe myself, the latency to Japan is not much more than the latency to US.

Cayenne
Jan 29, 2012, 06:11 AM
SEGA hasn't said how we are going to pay for the game (F2P, P2P, free w/item shops, purchase once), unknown as of right now.

landman
Jan 29, 2012, 06:12 AM
That depends, we still don't know what will happen with servers, and content, but if I have to choose between playing with less latency, or playing with more content, I'd choose less latency every day. But I will provably get both japanese and euro versions if that's the case.

voxie
Jan 29, 2012, 06:21 AM
I seriously hope SOE/SOA pull their act together on this one - make English content just as good as what the Japanese get dammit! D:

Otherwise, may import, yes...

str898mustang
Jan 29, 2012, 07:57 AM
I hope it's P2P only.....F2P attracts too many trolls.

I'll be importing the JP version. If history repeats itself, the US/EU servers will be behind on updates (a year+) again.

SELENNA
Jan 29, 2012, 08:16 AM
I want them to follow the Guild Wars plan : pay full price for the game and get everything

ShadowDragon28
Jan 29, 2012, 08:48 AM
I want them to follow the Guild Wars plan : pay full price for the game and get everything

agree 100%. i'd rather pay for major expansions/updates than be be charged 10 a month.

uhawww
Jan 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
Made the decision to import before the Alpha started.

moorebounce
Jan 29, 2012, 09:51 AM
If it has an offline mode I'll be importing it.

str898mustang
Jan 29, 2012, 09:56 AM

agree 100%. i'd rather pay for major expansions/updates than be be charged 10 a month.

lol sorry..that wont be happening.

SoSxDagg3r89
Jan 29, 2012, 09:58 AM
I would be more then happy to import the game to play. I will stick true to the NA servers if they do release it here though. Playing in the JP servers only hinders the chances of Sega supporting us in the future so why complain if you're not going to help the cause?

I just hope, if it is only a JP game, that they will have multi language support. I still enjoyed it but just got in the way a lot not being able to read anything...

Khasar
Jan 29, 2012, 10:05 AM
I will be if the EU/NA release is far off

Zaix
Jan 29, 2012, 10:12 AM
I have to see release dates and server info before i decide anything permanent.

Mitz
Jan 29, 2012, 11:54 AM
Definitely not importing. I couldn't deal with the language barrier myself, I am far too much of a social gamer for that.

That being said, if there won't be an English release then who knows.

Zyrusticae
Jan 29, 2012, 01:24 PM
I find the language barrier dramatically reduces my enjoyment of any game that requires, y'know, social interaction. Not to say that I haven't been trying to learn the language, but, good grief... kanji makes me want to claw my eyes out. It's hard enough to build a decent vocabulary without having to deal with an entirely alien alphabet...

Anon_Fire
Jan 29, 2012, 01:26 PM

There is no offline mode.

Yamishi
Jan 29, 2012, 01:28 PM
If the game is JP-only, then I'm definitely "importing."

The Alpha-2 has left me with such a positive impression that I will do whatever it takes to play this game. And I don't understand a single written word of Japanese.

Aiex
Jan 29, 2012, 01:38 PM
I'm kicking around the idea of playing on the JP servers even if there is a US/EU release. The support and updates have been better in the past, and our servers have a tendency to close early. But mostly I spent a long time learning Japanese and I haven't gotten to use it for anything yet.

Kazzi
Jan 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
Still undecided myself, I figured I would play on the JP server until an English one comes out.

Keilyn
Jan 29, 2012, 01:43 PM
I will go after the JP version. Sure, I will import.

Does anyone know the official launch date as well as how to obtain the game when released? I haven't been keeping up, too much shit to do in the real world.

Cleptomaniac
Jan 29, 2012, 01:47 PM
I haven't even played it and I'm definitely importing/downloading the JP version.
I wish I would have obtained an alpha2 code.
Sadface!

Yamishi
Jan 29, 2012, 01:49 PM
I will go after the JP version. Sure, I will import.

Does anyone know the official launch date as well as how to obtain the game when released? I haven't been keeping up, too much shit to do in the real world.

Nothing's been announced yet, as far as release date. A lot of people figure it'll be a downloadable title, but they haven't confirmed anything yet. :P

Aiex
Jan 29, 2012, 01:49 PM
It looks like it will be a download like PSO:BB was. There is no official release date yet, to the best of my knowledge. I've heard some May rumors, but those were purely speculative.

Faiyez
Jan 29, 2012, 01:57 PM
I find it hard to believe this game will not have a boxed retail release. Seeing how this is Japan, I actually doubt it'll even be available in digital distribution.

landman
Jan 29, 2012, 02:09 PM
PSOBB and PSOBB Episode 4 had retail releases in Japan.

Komali
Jan 29, 2012, 02:25 PM
Having played PSU on both the JP server and US server, I'm going to be sticking with the JP one this time. They don't have a history of IP blocking and my credit card worked fine for PSU so there shouldn't be a problem even if you're not in Japan.

Masterflower
Jan 29, 2012, 02:27 PM
If the servers aren't unified, then I'm importing. Tired of split servers. But I'll probably get both cuz I suspect my friends would want to play it in English.

CAMPSO
Jan 29, 2012, 03:49 PM
Well i'm not playing alpha2 but definitely considering importing. Especially if it doesn't come out in English.

xCypherx
Jan 29, 2012, 04:00 PM
Well i'm not playing alpha2 but definitely considering importing. Especially if it doesn't come out in English.

the game will come out in english

xMarle
Jan 29, 2012, 04:03 PM

It's more a question of will it be successful, and for how long?

It's much safer to just play JP. Higher quality too as history has taught us with the loads of MMOs that get localized then butchered and milked^^;

str898mustang
Jan 29, 2012, 04:11 PM

How do you know? Did you look into your crystal ball?

xCypherx
Jan 29, 2012, 04:38 PM
How do you know? Did you look into your crystal ball?

expect Sega us confirmed it soo umm yes i guess i can

GCoffee
Jan 29, 2012, 04:43 PM
expect Sega us confirmed it soo umm yes i guess i can

Confirmed it right out of your crystal ball? There have been no such announcements thus far.

I will be importing and also buy the US/EU version if and once it comes out. Switching servers once would not hurt much. That is the nice thing about this genre, a new start would feel like creating a new char at most.

xCypherx
Jan 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
I rechecked my special crystal ball and realized i was wrong. not confirmed

Eclipse5632
Jan 29, 2012, 04:57 PM
It's highly likely that I'll import at this point, unless the servers are the same and there's a simultaneous JP/EN release.

gundam0079
Jan 29, 2012, 05:00 PM
ill be importing if no US/EU release date is confirmed when this games come time to be released. katakana and hiragana is not that hard to read when you get used to it

Fayorei
Jan 29, 2012, 05:22 PM
As much as I'd usually be like "Oh, English version, YAY!"... I just don't know.

Here's my resolve: If we don't get unified servers, I'm going the JP version route.

I already have the fundamentals of Japanese down, I should be at a bit of a higher level but I am rusty. I can understand sentence structure, hiragana, katakana, and about 150-200 kanji. If I just work on studying more advanced grammar, vocab, and kanji... I could get super fluent. Which wouldn't hurt since languages are an interest of mine anyways.

Then there's the fact I played PSO BB and the PC Version of PSU. It wasn't pretty at times. And the community on both dropped off fast and hard, leaving you messed over if you wanted someone to play with at times.

I have seen the positive responses of people who enjoyed JP PSU playing it on these forums. It's been said that they accept US credit cards, and that they don't IP ban. Awesome.

Content being experienced more quickly, and better server security from exploits.

And, it seems like a good chunk of the community here will be on it anyhow. I'll definitely be buying a sub when it officially comes out in Japan anyways. But I wonder if they'll announce how they'll release elsewhere when it officially comes out in Japan. It's going to be interesting.

Mag-X
Jan 29, 2012, 06:48 PM
After playing the Japanese version of PSU, I'll definitely be playing the Japanese version of PSO2. It's just going to be better in every way.

I'll switch to the US version if/when it comes out. I'd rather just stick with the JP version the whole time, but, despite what they say, my friends won't be able to get past the language barrier.

Cayenne
Jan 29, 2012, 07:11 PM
Whatever comes out first is the one I'll be playing but if there's like a 1 to 2 months gap when the US servers are up (says my crystal ball) then I'll be going from JP to USA in a heart beat.

I can play the JP version np and playing it now being a foreigner seems fun so if no release outside of JP happens, I'm ok with that.

dooby613
Jan 29, 2012, 07:37 PM
as excited as I am about it I will wait until I get a good amount of feed back. Honestly I'm not interested in P2P if I have to deal with a language barrier, if it is F2P I probably will go for it. Also PSO on the DC was originally a nightmare and I'm not a fan of being NOL'd.

Spellbinder
Jan 30, 2012, 07:10 AM
No plans to head back to America after graduation, so count me in on JP version.

Khasar
Jan 30, 2012, 07:43 AM
We should get a list of those getting the JP version when it's announced so we can add each other as friends and the like. At least we be able to talk with English players ^_^

rezakon
Jan 30, 2012, 08:23 AM
[Not in Alpha2 but from General Perspective]

If it's anything like PSU, import.

I tried the US version of PSU when it came out but most people were assholes to be quite frank and since most my buddies in PSU were JPN or JPN players from English communities I'll probably go that route, on the plus side I always got a way better ping to JPN then NA.

It really depends though, unified servers could make a huge difference like they did in FFXI (although that had it's ups and downs).

Spellbinder
Jan 30, 2012, 08:52 AM
[Not in Alpha2 but from General Perspective]

If it's anything like PSU, import.

I tried the US version of PSU when it came out but most people were assholes to be quite frank and since most my buddies in PSU were JPN or JPN players from English communities I'll probably go that route, on the plus side I always got a way better ping to JPN then NA.

It really depends though, unified servers could make a huge difference like they did in FFXI (although that had it's ups and downs).

Well to be fair in the case of FFXI, the Japanese players weren't notified beforehand that players from other countries would suddenly be coming into the game. I'm sure relations would have panned out differently if it was all together from the get go.

Poubelle
Jan 30, 2012, 10:34 AM

lol

hope they keep offline modes/story modes out of this game.

oh, and-- I'm going to play on the english servers.

but if for some stupid reason PSO2 comes out in japan way before NA (as in, coming out japan, tba or several months after japanese release)i might play/pay for the JP version during that time period

i find myself having some occasional lag with japanese players. im not sure if its disturbing their gameplay, but i would rather just play on the server for my region

Yamishi
Jan 30, 2012, 10:43 AM
Honestly, if there's an English release with separate servers, I'll play until the first update that gets delayed. As soon as we start lagging behind, I'm jumping ship to JP servers.

That said, the JP Alpha-2 client DOES have a "Language" option in it, it's just that Japanese is the only available language. Maybe they'll just slap a few more in there and do a global release. Here's hoping, eh?

landman
Jan 30, 2012, 01:27 PM
In the worst case, the eligible languages will be Japanese and Corean...

Mag-X
Jan 30, 2012, 01:57 PM
Honestly, if there's an English release with separate servers, I'll play until the first update that gets delayed. As soon as we start lagging behind, I'm jumping ship to JP servers.

That said, the JP Alpha-2 client DOES have a "Language" option in it, it's just that Japanese is the only available language. Maybe they'll just slap a few more in there and do a global release. Here's hoping, eh?

I'm betting on the Japanese version only ever having the one language option (since they're the master race and all that), and the dirty western version having multiple languages since we'll all be lumped together.

shiink
Jan 30, 2012, 02:00 PM
I will absolutely be importing. As an English speaker who has had a high motivation for learning Japanese, the language barrier is still there, but not as intimidating. I have gotten a lot better at the language since playing Japanese PSU. Also from my experience playing PSU on both the US and UP servers I see the great benefits of importing. Namely content. I have found that more and more of the importing community has felt similar to this and I have not had any trouble finding English speakers to play with and I can always fall back on playing with the "natives" if needed. (i have even made a few good friends on the server who are Japanese.) I found that the people willing to deal with the language barrier are generally much nicer to play with than the crews I used to run with on the US server. Maybe it has to do with a higher appreciation for what small importing community we have. Needless to say I will not have to worry about a server getting shut down and not have to wait for content. Not to mention the many many community resources available for menu and item translations. Though its not as easy as simply being able to read it, if the will is there it can be done. I know many of my old friends have no will to import, but I have found that it is worth the effort. If the game happens to get globally unified servers then that will be a plus but I will be getting the Japanese version for sure.

tl;dr,
Yes importing is a go for me.

Mitz
Jan 30, 2012, 02:05 PM
I knew there were a lot of Japanophiles on this site. Only now do I realize just how many.

shiink
Jan 30, 2012, 02:12 PM
Lol yes guilty as charged. But nonetheless the Phantasy Star franchise is dear to my childhood as like many of us here :)

burende
Jan 30, 2012, 02:31 PM
We should get a list of those getting the JP version when it's announced so we can add each other as friends and the like. At least we be able to talk with English players ^_^

Agreed

Ifrian-x
Jan 30, 2012, 04:01 PM
Just like i got JP-PSU when it was released ( even tho i know not a word of jp ) i will get PSO2JP once itīs released.

PrinceBrightstar
Jan 30, 2012, 10:09 PM
I've been importing since V2. I have no plans to stop now.

Polantaris
Jan 31, 2012, 02:16 AM
ill be importing if no US/EU release date is confirmed when this games come time to be released. katakana and hiragana is not that hard to read when you get used to it

You're absolutely right here. That's why the language barrier isn't as big of a deal as people make it out to be. Just need a good memory if nothing else. Learn some simple phrases and you'll be good for most parties, especially with drops independent between the players there's no question of who gets what, and no chance you could accidentally pick up something someone else wanted.

As for me, I was sold about 5 minutes into my first run.

I thought somewhere on the original PSO2 site (Not the alpha page) it said that the game would be 6,000 yen. I mighta been looking at something else though...it's been a while since I saw that (When I was signing up for the alpha is when I saw this, so I might have accidentally related something else to PSO2 considering what I was doing).

Serephim
Jan 31, 2012, 02:19 AM
I knew there were a lot of Japanophiles on this site. Only now do I realize just how many.

Can't be too far from them, posting here.

I dont see the point in calling someone a "Japanophile" (whatever that means lol) for wanting to play an assured decent version of the game.

Masterflower
Jan 31, 2012, 08:32 AM
Can't be too far from them, posting here.

I dont see the point in calling someone a "Japanophile" (whatever that means lol) for wanting to play an assured decent version of the game.

Basically means someone is a down right Japanese lover. You mostly see these kind of things when it comes to video games and anime. To be far Mitz, I think alot of us have a down right good reason for wanting to play the JP over the "possible" US release. Now when it comes to people complaining about "Oh I want JP voices kept in our games!" This makes me facepalm on how many would go to great length to say "Oh I'm not buying it if theres no JP Audio!" I bet my ass they still buy the game. Sometimes their reasoning makes me go, why not just play the JP version instead.

When it comes to Phantasy Star, I think a lot of people got a very good reasoning to wanting to play a game not in their language over their inferior and non supporting game in their own language.

Slidikins
Jan 31, 2012, 09:09 AM
While I can read and speak Japanese just fine, I'd rather get the English version of the game. Japanese is my 3rd language and I don't feel like jumping through hoops to play on a server halfway across the world. I'd rather take whatever comes to the US and play with friends because, let's face it, our friends aren't going to jump through those same hoops.

I'm really hoping for unified servers + word select like the original PSO. On the DC I played with people from all over the world without needing to know more than simple English. If the servers are unified, so is the content. All SEGA really has to do is provide translations with everything they add to the game (which is something they usually do with their other products.)

Aiex
Jan 31, 2012, 09:41 AM
Can anybody weigh in on the latency between America's East coast and the Japanese servers? You can't really get much further away, so I'm kind of concerned about that.

Kanashimi
Jan 31, 2012, 12:08 PM
Can anybody weigh in on the latency between America's East coast and the Japanese servers? You can't really get much further away, so I'm kind of concerned about that.

It was noticeable, but not absolutely horrific. You do get some "DID I HEAL IN TIME?!" moments.

Serephim
Jan 31, 2012, 02:20 PM
Basically means someone is a down right Japanese lover. You mostly see these kind of things when it comes to video games and anime. To be far Mitz, I think alot of us have a down right good reason for wanting to play the JP over the "possible" US release. Now when it comes to people complaining about "Oh I want JP voices kept in our games!" This makes me facepalm on how many would go to great length to say "Oh I'm not buying it if theres no JP Audio!" I bet my ass they still buy the game. Sometimes their reasoning makes me go, why not just play the JP version instead.

When it comes to Phantasy Star, I think a lot of people got a very good reasoning to wanting to play a game not in their language over their inferior and non supporting game in their own language.

People want the japanese voices to stay because the english ones are terrible. This really isn't a hard observation to make I believe.

Some of the voice files on PSU AotI were just downright horrible. People want them to keep the JP voices in, because if you aren't going to attempt to voice the characters correctly in english, you might as well not remove the ones you actually put quality into.

I had absolutely no issue with the english voices on PSU BEFORE they started talking. I thought it was a great idea that they didn't say shit before they threw a technic or when they died, because in the west characters just do not do that -- it's a japanese thing. But for some reason they decided to make them talk, and now i can't stand any of them, because they all sound like shit / constipated / annoying.

First test, probably better than PSU360. Second test, lag central.

Yeah, the "DID I HEAL IN TIME" moments are absolutely hilarious. Im not sure, but i think healing might take small priority over damage in times like that, because i've never had a lag spike and then died afterwards. Maybe my force just had more life than i thought.

pikachief
Jan 31, 2012, 05:01 PM
I can risk slow content if I can play with friends. I will be getting US version if it is announced before the JP release. If JP is released and no sight of US version then I will not wait because that would be just too far behind for me.

RedRaz0r
Jan 31, 2012, 06:19 PM
If I get the jp version, it will be only until it's out for US. Then I'm switching. I hate when people go across the sea, just because they think something will be better over there. That's why the US economy sucks.

Serephim
Jan 31, 2012, 06:24 PM
I dont think that has anything to do with quality and more with price.

In this case it's usually true though, because the product is made and maintained in Japan, yet handled by someone other than the developer when in the US. Which, obviously, can be a huge issue.

Randomness
Jan 31, 2012, 06:31 PM
I'm waiting until we get word about if and how it's going to be released in the US.

No point thinking about it until then.

shiink
Jan 31, 2012, 06:34 PM
I completely understand the whole "help the US economy" ordeal, but seriously look at the track record here. Obviously SEGA of Japan has a much safer local market than its overseas counterparts. For a game franchise that I enjoy playing and gets a lot of time and money invested in it, I simply can't justify having to start/buy a game twice because it has a high chance of getting canned and lacking support in my locale. I'm hoping for a unified server just as much as anyone else.

To each his own I guess. I have close friends and family who love this series but won't be importing so I do completely understand not wanting to go through the hassle.

RedRaz0r
Jan 31, 2012, 07:27 PM
I completely understand the whole "help the US economy" ordeal, but seriously look at the track record here. Obviously SEGA of Japan has a much safer local market than its overseas counterparts. For a game franchise that I enjoy playing and gets a lot of time and money invested in it, I simply can't justify having to start/buy a game twice because it has a high chance of getting canned and lacking support in my locale. I'm hoping for a unified server just as much as anyone else.

To each his own I guess. I have close friends and family who love this series but won't be importing so I do completely understand not wanting to go through the hassle.

Yeah, I still take US over JP. JP never had anyone for me to play with =[

sugarFO
Jan 31, 2012, 08:28 PM
I really want to play PSO2 because it looks so fun... but I played JP PSU and even though I met some great people, I just felt so alienated being among only JP players. I'm the type of player who will just go up to someone and say hi and start a conversation. I can't do that with the Japanese.

Plus I've had the Japanese that DO understand English message me telling me to stop speaking English where everyone can see.

That's not at all what I would pay to experience. Either US version or none at all for me. It's a shame, too.

Fayorei
Jan 31, 2012, 08:30 PM

I didn't notice any lag really, until ship 2 was ALL full the second day. Which, that shouldn't be too common of a problem since the Alpha obviously has limited Ships with less population distribution, and their intent was to stress test anyhow.:)

Cayenne
Jan 31, 2012, 08:53 PM
If anything, I'll focus on only making one character on the JP servers and if the US servers ever exist in the future I'll make the rest with the other 2 classes I haven't played, there.

I don't mind starting over if it means transferring to where people speak engurish.

Masterflower
Feb 1, 2012, 01:35 AM
People want the japanese voices to stay because the english ones are terrible. This really isn't a hard observation to make I believe.

Some of the voice files on PSU AotI were just downright horrible. People want them to keep the JP voices in, because if you aren't going to attempt to voice the characters correctly in english, you might as well not remove the ones you actually put quality into.

I had absolutely no issue with the english voices on PSU BEFORE they started talking. I thought it was a great idea that they didn't say shit before they threw a technic or when they died, because in the west characters just do not do that -- it's a japanese thing. But for some reason they decided to make them talk, and now i can't stand any of them, because they all sound like shit / constipated / annoying.

Doesnt need to be PSU, An English Dub game can have the greatest of voice actors and they will want Japanese Audio. This is why I like SE. You'll take your English voices and like it.

Mike
Feb 1, 2012, 01:59 AM
Plus I've had the Japanese that DO understand English message me telling me to stop speaking English where everyone can see.
There's nothing in PSU or PSO2's TOS that says "No speaking English" so unless that person is a GM, then there's nothing behind their words to force you to do what they say. People were speaking English openly during last Saturday's session and nothing happened. So screw the people who don't want you speaking a language they only half understand. Pick the version you think you'll enjoy the most.

rezakon
Feb 1, 2012, 04:04 AM

I found the greatest trick of all for screwing with those kinds of JPN player is to start speaking to them in JPN. Man it blows their fragile little minds to bits when you can communicate to them in it. It's like a world of infinite possibilities just opened up on their horizons but it usually comes down to one thing in the end.

Is this a fact? Is that a fact? Oh so your not American? oh your from middle earth!?!, Blah Blah Blah.

JPN players are very stereotypical people I've found, amount of crap they actually believe is astonishing.

But I can understand how you feel isolated within the community, even speaking and reading JPN I've always been a outsider and the guys I play with I've known for coming up on a decade now since near release of FFXI.

I just put it down to xenophobia.

Blueblur
Feb 1, 2012, 07:40 PM
I'm going to wait for the US version as I do not know Japanese and have friends who might be interested in trying out the US version.

SELENNA
Feb 1, 2012, 09:45 PM
Well to be honest if Japanese people started talking in their language on your English server you'd probably be annoyed too. That's also one of the reasons why I think we won't see universal servers.

NoiseHERO
Feb 1, 2012, 09:59 PM
Well to be honest if Japanese people started talking in their language on your English server you'd probably be annoyed too. That's also one of the reasons why I think we won't see universal servers.

I actually find it easy to ignore when people talk in other languages in an english speaking environment.

Most of the time it just means that's how they're comfortable communicating, or other times it's "mind your own business o_O" Which most people do.

But if I know online gaming communities... someone speaking japanese or korean = instantaneous attention grabber. And sometimes vice versa as well.

Obviously in this case that player probably didn't want someone to get banned by revealing they're not japanese. Of course I don't know how many invisible GM's are running around in this game since I'm not in the alpha, but meh.

Just saying, pointless hostility is pointless, we have it enough on the internet and with culture clashing as it is.

sugarFO
Feb 1, 2012, 10:04 PM
No, I wouldn't. Maybe someone else would be.

Mag-X
Feb 1, 2012, 10:43 PM
When I played JP PSU, all the other foreigners seemed to be terrified of playing with the Japanese players for fear of getting banned, and wouldn't speak outside of team chat. I played a ton with the Japanese players. Knowledge of a few simple phrases and usage of a little kanji here and there seemed to make them happy. As long as you try to understand them a bit, and you aren't a total dumb ass, they'll put up with you.

NoiseHERO
Feb 1, 2012, 10:53 PM
The last games I've played in japanese people actually stopped and tried to help me. D:

Or they just completely ignore you and mindlessly play the game... alone... D:

JUST LIKE IN AMERICA!

soulpimpwizzurd
Feb 2, 2012, 12:09 AM
The last games I've played in japanese people actually stopped and tried to help me. D:

Or they just completely ignore you and mindlessly play the game... alone... D:

JUST LIKE IN AMERICA!

you seem like a cool dude i'd play some games with you if those japanese guis ignored ya

you'd have to make a super manly character though, since my character will be super manly, yours will have to be equally as manly so we can be manly and go on manly adventures, man.

NoiseHERO
Feb 2, 2012, 12:11 AM
you seem like a cool dude i'd play some games with you if those japanese guis ignored ya

you'd have to make a super manly character though, since my character will be super manly, yours will have to be equally as manly so we can be manly and go on manly adventures, man.

Well it's not just me, it seems like in that particular game the whole community acted like zombies. D:

It was another game where people were nice and actually tried to put up with my language barrier.

So in general they're humans just like us regardless of different culture, and like any other situation it probably just depends on the game.

Also /MANRI MOSURU FUREKUSU (Manly Muscle Flex)

Shade_Koopa
Feb 5, 2012, 07:11 PM
If I doesn't reach NA, i probably will try to import. But seeing as how the change of the gaming being released outside of Japan is pretty high, then I would have to say no.

Emmie
Feb 6, 2012, 06:39 AM
I'm definitely gonna try to import if I can. The language barrier will be an issue, but I'm willing to deal with it.

jayster
Feb 6, 2012, 03:19 PM
If it's more than 6 months till the US release after the JP release, I'll probably import for that time. Otherwise, I'll just wait it out till the US version comes.

Fayorei
Feb 6, 2012, 06:47 PM

Uh... no I would not? I don't see a point in getting keyed up about languages besides English, personally. Might be that I came from a naturally bilingual household; however, I don't see anyone at all on PSO-World at least being like "OMG... stop speaking Japanese on my server!"

I play on a certain server right now where there are a multitude of languages spoken in the lobby. Not a problem!

Serephim
Feb 6, 2012, 07:02 PM
its only annoying in games where you aren't encouraged to actually be social with others outside of lipservice.

All Most of the shitty modern garbage heaps MMOs today have this kind of law setup where you're like "HEY I NEED A TANKER" or "HEY I NEED A HEALER" or "HEY CAN I GET BUFFS" or "WHATS YOUR DPS" and shit like that. So you basically only need one person for a single task, and thats it. While you RELY on them, there is no sense of teamwork whatsoever -- this guy is just required for you to be able to do something. Like you require an outlet to play your playstation.

So when they dont speak your language, it's just like a big wall in the way of the shit you're trying to get out of them. So you ignore them and find someone who knows what "HEAL ME" or "BUFF ME" or "TANK THIS" or "USE THIS SKILL" fucking means.

PSO, on the other hand, does not function like that. The game is much more team oriented, because although certian members make things easier, no one class is REQUIRED for absolutely anything. So when you're playing with people, it's a much more casual environment. So encountering someone who speaks a different language isn't like encountering a wall, it's just like encountering.... a player of a slightly different flavor.

It's the reason i play Phantasy Star. Forces can heal you, but for the most part its your own damn fault you got killed or can't do damage. Finding someone who does the job correctly is just a big plus.

And in my experience people who take their class roles too too seriously on this game *COUGHTIMEATTACKERSCOUGH* are just not fun to play with. I really do not care which skill kills everything in one hit, or which super uber strategy kills all the enemies as soon as they spawn, or blah blah blah. I just want to enjoy the stage.

Calamity
Feb 6, 2012, 09:32 PM
if it only came out in japan. i'd learn japanese just to play!

NoiseHERO
Feb 6, 2012, 10:14 PM
its only annoying in games where you aren't encouraged to actually be social with others outside of lipservice.

All Most of the shitty modern garbage heaps MMOs today have this kind of law setup where you're like "HEY I NEED A TANKER" or "HEY I NEED A HEALER" or "HEY CAN I GET BUFFS" or "WHATS YOUR DPS" and shit like that. So you basically only need one person for a single task, and thats it. While you RELY on them, there is no sense of teamwork whatsoever -- this guy is just required for you to be able to do something. Like you require an outlet to play your playstation.

So when they dont speak your language, it's just like a big wall in the way of the shit you're trying to get out of them. So you ignore them and find someone who knows what "HEAL ME" or "BUFF ME" or "TANK THIS" or "USE THIS SKILL" fucking means.

PSO, on the other hand, does not function like that. The game is much more team oriented, because although certian members make things easier, no one class is REQUIRED for absolutely anything. So when you're playing with people, it's a much more casual environment. So encountering someone who speaks a different language isn't like encountering a wall, it's just like encountering.... a player of a slightly different flavor.

It's the reason i play Phantasy Star. Forces can heal you, but for the most part its your own damn fault you got killed or can't do damage. Finding someone who does the job correctly is just a big plus.

And in my experience people who take their class roles too too seriously on this game *COUGHTIMEATTACKERSCOUGH* are just not fun to play with. I really do not care which skill kills everything in one hit, or which super uber strategy kills all the enemies as soon as they spawn, or blah blah blah. I just want to enjoy the stage.

I agree, And yet at the same time that's why I like challenge mode, You get a preset weapon and class build. And it's not about what powered weapons and photon arts you have. All the stupid elitist crap is Simplified and it's all about actual skill. As opposed to how much free time your "not-even-cool-enough-to-be-considered-socially-awkward-ass" has to get whatever over powered abuse-able equipment and PAs.

Shade_Koopa
Feb 7, 2012, 01:30 AM
If it's more than 6 months till the US release after the JP release, I'll probably import for that time. Otherwise, I'll just wait it out till the US version comes.

Agreed with you there, and it's pretty high chance of a US release happing. They haven't announce it yet, whether is a US release or JPN only release.

PSO being different then other MMO/Online Games, I agree. It is team based and more casual play. With PSO2 being more action oriented, with abit of shooter element for those Shooter genre players, it will attract Hardcore and Casual Gamers alike.