PDA

View Full Version : Cheating, really that bad?

gamer88
Feb 16, 2001, 11:12 AM
I see a bunch of people here bad mouthing ppl who use codes to enhance their gameplay...i don't see a problem. I mean, the game is about having fun right? If joe sweatsocks wants to use codes to make his exp. better, who cares? He paid the $50 for his game, not you, so let him have his fun. I see a bunch of whiners here and it makes me laugh, I'm a lvl 73 and i've never found half the stuff you ppl talk about. I play on very hard online and offline and still i find nothing of any value. I've found about 20 db sabers, 5 dbl sabers, 10 varista's, 6 dragon slayers, and more junk. i try to trade to someone who has 4 photon claws, and they laugh at me. So I see no problem using the codes to get the item I want and have no hope of finding. You say cheating takes the fun out of the game, well so does getting the same worthless crap over and over again. not al the classes can find the same items, it depends on your class and id. So, unless all you lucky ppl who get everything under the sun in the game want to start sharing, LEAVE US WHO WANT THE SAME ITEMS YOU DO ALONE!

Ambrai
Feb 16, 2001, 11:29 AM
Note 'rare'. A rare item meaning not everyone has one just lying around. By cheating you will remove all of the pride and worth in the item.

Myself and many friends have spent hundreds of hours working on our Epics in Everquest, how would you feel if you were one of us, and then someone came up and said, 'Oh that epic, ya I just hacked it onto my char file.'

You would be lucky if they didn't come looking for you...

gamer88
Feb 16, 2001, 11:40 AM
Ok, this may shock you, don't be scared...but Phantasy Star Online, well, IT'S A GAME! Not eveybody is like you and can devote every waking moment to playing the game. Besides, it's their $50, not yours. You want to buy my copy, I won't cheat. If not, let me do what I want to enjoy MY GAME.

Ambrai
Feb 16, 2001, 11:47 AM
I could personally care less, until you infringe apon my right to play this 'game'.

Cheat as you wish, but dont infringe apon my rights to enjoy this game.

gamer88
Feb 16, 2001, 11:58 AM
Ok how is my using codes infringing upon your game? Do I steal items from you? No. And another thing i meant to say is it's getting REALLY boring for me to find items I cannot equip, i.e. dragon slayer, blade dance, sword of laconium. I can't trade these items because every second person has 1, so what do I do with them? That may be the games biggest fault, the inability to use weapons. And don't give me that "keep playing, you will find something" line, i've spent over 100 hrs and I stiil get jack @&?! It really sucks getting items you can't use/trade. anyone wants to trade, i'll give all my dragon slayers and db's sabers for 1 photon claw. what's that? oh, laughter.

gryphon410
Feb 16, 2001, 12:14 PM
You know, personally I could care less if you cheat or not, as long as you do it offline and don't bring it into the online world. If you have any respect at all, and aren't one of those "I don't care about anyone but myself" types, then you won't bring whatever you cheated into the online world.

I too, haven't found anything of real value yet (unless my book of katana 2 is wanted), nor have I found a legendary item, weapon, or anything. If it's replay value you want online, and want to find some neat things, why don't you get another memory card and start a new character with a different name?

You spent your $50 on the game, so yes you have a right to do whatever you want OFFLINE. Remember, the online world is all of ours, not just yours. We all paid our $50 too so we could have a fair online world, and we don't like those people who think that their $50 makes them own the world.

-Gryphon

Clubmaster
Feb 16, 2001, 12:29 PM
you now what? your opinion sucks big deal, brother! if you want to cheat, get the heck out of here and play offline. It's spoiling the fun for all of us, playing online, with a damn cheater. The problem is: due to the lack of expierience, cheaters are almost ALWAYS very lame players because they usually don't have any fighting skills and get killed by some boomers because they just don't know how to play, and therefore ruin the Game for their Teammates. You cheaters just don't deserve the Items you got by hacking in some lame codes! THAT'S the point. And: i was paying 50 bucks as well, and you ruin MY Game! What do you say about that?

gamer88
Feb 16, 2001, 12:32 PM
Your last post makes no sense to me. What exactly am I bringing into "our world" that gets you so bent out of shape? Is it because I can actually get a weapon that makes me want to continue playing? I admit, i'm bored with the game. I do the same thing time after time and it yeilds the same results. So I got some codes, and now i'm having fun once again. I can now feel useful in the game, instead of doing an avg. of 80 damage per hit, I do 200. That makes me a better part of my team, which makes the game more fun. I can give myself good items to trade, helping myself and someone else in the process. I'm sorry you had a bad time when you cheated at everquest(? sorry I forget the game you were talking about:P), but that is not my fault, nor is it my problem. I don't steal items when people die, I always give new players items which I no longer need, and i'm not an item whore. (you know, the guy who runs around grabbing items w/o fighting) So I don't see why i'm the bad guy here.

gamer88
Feb 16, 2001, 12:44 PM
Clubmaster, First off, i'm level 73 through exp. not cheating. I started to lose interest in the game, so I did something to boost it again. I love the game, the lack of story and the fact that it gets very repetitive started to wear on me. That coupled with the very poor item system almost drove me away. By poor item system I mean finding items you cannot use at all, that and level 40 players can find items faster than level 70 players, the game should not be set up that way. It should be a level based system, with the higher levels getting the items first. read my previous post for the rest of my reply.

Clubmaster
Feb 16, 2001, 01:04 PM
On 2001-02-16 09:44, gamer88 wrote:
Clubmaster, First off, i'm level 73 through exp. not cheating. I started to lose interest in the game, so I did something to boost it again. I love the game, the lack of story and the fact that it gets very repetitive started to wear on me. That coupled with the very poor item system almost drove me away. By poor item system I mean finding items you cannot use at all, that and level 40 players can find items faster than level 70 players, the game should not be set up that way. It should be a level based system, with the higher levels getting the items first. read my previous post for the rest of my reply.

ok, you have a point there. I'm sorry, but i met too many cheaters, who appeared to not have played for just 1 hour! but Level 100, and plethora of items and so forth... . But had never seen a hildebear! That just p.... me off. I'm sorry, i was obviously aiming at the wrong target http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

Spy
Feb 16, 2001, 01:07 PM
I started getting bored with work... so I torched it, and put all my fellow employees out of a job... I have intrest in it now...

UM... yeah... think about your argument...

SuperSubZero
Feb 16, 2001, 01:08 PM
I also paid $50 for the game, and for *MY* $50 I expect to play with people who will play by the rules and play FAIR. If the cheaters want to modify the rules to their liking, they can do it offline or in some place away from where I am gaming.

You could say the same about a person with a gun. It's their gun. They can do what they want with it. As long as they don't step on MY lawn.

-SSZ

Rei
Feb 16, 2001, 01:26 PM
AS long as cheaters don't harm you, it's alright for me. People hate item cheaters because the rare items they found are not rare anymore since all cheaters can get them easily.
If you complain about cheating because you can't brag. Come on, it's just a game, not your real life.

I don't cheat, I don't seek for special item purposely. I just use whatever I have to enjoy the game.

Syntax
Feb 16, 2001, 01:43 PM
I have absolutely no problem with cheating as long as it's kept offline. When you are online it is important to remember that it is no longer YOUR game. As soon as you connect it becomes everyone's game and must be treated appropriately. While you may not think working through a game and having the satisfaction of beating the final boss on your own is all that great, there are many player who do and since this is a TEAM game it is important to respect the wishes and "morals" of those on your team.
As for not feeling like you are an important part of a team, I really can't see that as a valid excuse for cheating. Last night myself and a lev 35 character were helping a Lev 4 through the caves. He was getting to fight creatures that he wouldn't normally be able to even consider fighting successfully and having fun.
A simple solution tothis would be that if you want to cheat online that you name your game appropriately so those who aren't interested in cheating don't have to enter.
You might say, "Why should I have to change my team name, why can't they?" To this I can only say that Cheating is cheating no matter whether you support it or not. If it was meant to be a part of the game it would have been included. So, even if Sonic Team wasn't vocal about preventing Cheating you should know enough that no matter how fun it may be that a cheated game of PSO isn't really a game of PSO at all becasue it is no longer what it's creater intended. With that said I would encourage any "cheaters" to take it upon themselves to make the effort not to ruin the game for the legit players. It would be a shame if there were nothing but password protected games on the servers, that would really take away from the team aspects of PSO.

-Syntax
*throws in 2 cents*

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 02:07 PM
Well here's my take on cheating. do NOT use codes while your online! I think that can ruin the team experience, but if for example I take my third character I have used and am tired of leveling up, use the gameshark to get to level 100 who's business is it in the first place? I mean I worked my way through the game twice and it's worn very thin. Even playing online is becoming a drag. The same things, the same place! So as long as I beef up my char offline to level 100 there is NO reason I should be osterisized for it online or banned or shunned. I know alot of players who welcome a level 100 simply for cover! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif I think alot of you are upset because your saying to yourself, I dont cheat so he cant cheat! Wrong! Each to his own especially when you paid for the game. As long as no one is stealing items, or just being an A**hole online, there is nothing wrong with using codes to enhance a char. No matter WHAT you say, these cheaters are not hurting your game! If you dont like em ignore me and dont play with em! I fail to see a valid point from all you who are so down on these cheaters! They are playing the game to thier liking and that's that. Yoiu would have a valid point if a cheater actually took something away from YOUR gaming experience but they dont. It seems like everyone complaining sounds like a bunch of people who themselves want to cheat but dont so they get upset with people who do. Remeber, thinking it is just as bad as doing it! The intent is there and that would make you hypocrites. Lastly I feel sad that this game which is a great game has already begun to lose it's luster after a short two weeks! Even the fanboys out there who say story and char development doesnt matter are getting bored! Oh well if Sega wants us to not resort to codes and cheats, then they should make a game with some substance and a game where the only goal is to master a 3 hit combo and hack and slash 5 or 6 enimes to bits that all look the same!

DCKaz
Feb 16, 2001, 02:10 PM
cheating ruins the challenge and the trade market while killing the 'neat/rare' factor for goods.

sure do it offline to jazz it up.

but don't bring your artifically jazzed up self online with your no sweat/effort counterfit bits. man why is it so hard to understand?

games usually are fun because they represent challenge. rare items are special/rare, because a lot of time/effort goes into them.

why don't you hit spots for luck material? loot is based on difficulty/zone, back up to your '40' hot spots if you need to.

no wonder games these days have less and less challenge.. too many take the easy road.

and wonder why others don't like counterfit items and artifical power in online communities.

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 02:24 PM
No I get it! Games arent challenging anymore because they are to short or full of bugs and repetativness! PSO is a great game no doubt about that, BUT the game itself promotes cheating. If it had more than 4 levels and some REAL reasons to play the other difficulties no one would be or want to be cheating! I have NEVER cheated on Phantasy Star 1-4! Why? Because the game is so interesting and there's so much more than slashing enimies to those first 4 games! All you people keep saying that it ruins YOUR experience when someone bring a beefy char on line! How?????? You obviously dont like them and you dont play with em so you have nothing to complain about!!!! They are not hurting you or taking anything from you so you should just stop complaining and play the game! I bet after you run through the game a couple of times and feel disappointed, you'll eventually want to play again, but you'll say.....God this sucks to have to level up again. Leveling up only has a purpose when there is a reward for it! This game has no rewards, or purpose other than to allow players to get together and beat up some baddies! Like I've said before cheating is fine until you actually hurt or impair someone elses game play. I urge all you young un's out there to go and play the other games! You'll find out what real RPG's are like and you'll see why people want to cheat on PSO

Spy
Feb 16, 2001, 02:31 PM
If you're so displeased with the current setup cheating is only delaying the inevitable. If you don't like PSO how the creators intended it to be then don't play. How hard is that? Anyone trying to use reason to justify cheating will get ripped apart by me like a team of level 5 forces and a sinow-beat.

Ratsmack
Feb 16, 2001, 02:43 PM
Yay! I love people who try their hardest to sound smart but are just plain stupid! It's so much fun to bash down their "arguments." Okay, well, gamer, I'm going to turn quite a few of the things you said against you, so with whatever smartass reply you're going to make, watch what you say. You're right. It's a game. Very, VERY true. What is a game, I ask you. Is it walking around being able to slaughter anything that comes nearby? It is being able to kill the last boss a hundred times over without even looking? No, that's called doing nothing. And, it's also called *gasp* CHEATING. A game is a challenge, my friend, and what do you do when you can kill anything and get anything you want? You destroy the challenge, you destroy the game. Now, cheating is wrong, but if you cheat offline, what do I care? Come online, I'm quite upset. People who don't cheat laid out the fifty bucks, so they deserve to get equal value to the weapons and stuff they EARN. EARN. E-A-R-N. Think about that word. You may have gotten to level 70, but if you cheat, that makes you a newbie and a person who can't play games worth a damn. You can't argue with that, because you're making the game NOT a game by happily ousting the challenge. That makes you a bad game player. Let me backtrack a bit, we laid out the fifty bucks, and when we see the items we got through playing and fighting and such worth nothing because cheaters are tossing them around like maniacs, it makes our efforts in vain and ruins the game for US. Now, we can't just stop playing because of this, can we? The only thing left is for cheaters to stop cheating. If your philosophy is "I'm bored. Cheat." then I'll go with Spy's perspective on things. Have you ever gotten bored with your girlfriend? What happened then? It's scary to think people's logic can be so misshapen as to lead them to believe that if they're bored, everything must change to keep them interest. Get over yourself.

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 02:48 PM
Wrong again! I enjoyed the game very much untill that is, that I found myself with nothing to do but slash more enimies! I've beaten the game and there is nothing to the game once it's stripped down, which is becoming clear to about 90% of gamers. Delaying the inevitable? Try this. If you were dying (which is inevitable) you would jump at the chance to do something if some one gave you the means to do it because you knew the end was coming. Look it's simple cheat, but dont F**K with other players. Cheat but cheat offline. Cheat and bring your char online but dont mess with people and go ruining thier game. If you dont like cheaters dont play with em! This topic is very similar to censorship! Just because you dont like it doesnt give you the right to shut it down or punish the people who enjoy it! If you dont like it or approve of it, then turn your head, look the other way! Until it ACTUALLY takes something away from YOUR gaming experinece, stop whining, and mind your own business! Obviously you complaining dont play with the cheaters so what's the problem?

Ambrai
Feb 16, 2001, 02:49 PM
Well the biggest problem with online games and cheating is the econ factor. IE If you create 1000 doublesabres then the item is no longer rare and unique. It becomes lame and a giveaway to newbies. The value of the item just drops to nothing, no value to something so great. All because you cheated.

I am worried about a post I read earlier. I am lv 26 as my sig states. The gear I have I think is sweet, but I havent had much better yet... I want to buy a double sabre, but I read that money duping is common and noone takes money now because of it. If that is the case then someone like me is just SOL because of *cheaters*. I can only get that item by working hard in saving money, and people like you took that away from me.....

Heero_Yuy
Feb 16, 2001, 02:58 PM
i got almost the same prob and i thought if i got higher luk then maybe i would find better stuff. so what are the ways to level that up, besides using materia.

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 03:04 PM
Ok so you've got a few points but they are quite invalid! Im more of a gamer than you'll ever be! I'v been a gamer since the Atari days and have seen games come and go! Yes when I get tired of my girlfriend I do go somewhere else, what's wrong with that? You see you say you get mad when cheaters come online with all these high levels and rare items yet you dont play with them so what are you bitching about? It's thier team not yours and if they do wander into your party then leave and start a new game or use a password! Your obviously not a true gamer as you seem to think there is some actual challenge to PSO. There is very little to the game after you get to level 50 let alone beating the game twice with two different chars. I did that without cheating too, so now my gameshark makes the game fun again for me! You can bash me all you want, I never intended to attack anyone personally and I wont do that even though you seem to think its cool to do that. Think of it like this. When you pick or find friends, you find people with whom you have things in common with. So do the same online! I can cheat all I like to make my char strong enough to play vhard especially since I've beaten the game sensless and it never was much of a challenge anyway. Hey thank for personally attacking me. It made my day! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif You see the points you make are invalid because they dont concern or have anything to do with you, simply becuase YOU can avoid these people and quest with who you like! So save your badmouthing for something that is actually valid and let people enjoy the game as they see fit so long as they dont hurt you.

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 03:13 PM
You guys dont get it! If you play the game or level up to 100 without cheating, you'll have 1000 of each item! It's not hard to do. Cheating has little to do with that! As far as Meseta go, Meseta is pointless in this game other than to buy Mag food, or grinders. Weapons and Armor can be found in the various levels which is better than anything you find at the store. Go online and play vhard, use a password and lock yourself in the game. You 'll get a ton of Meseta, pick up any and all items even if you cant use them, sell them at the store and this adds to your bank account! See the whole point is that Sega made a great game but it's a very shallow game that's more about running around in the same 4 areas, and slashing look a like enimies rather than making a game with a purpose to it. It would be nice if rare items, money, and levels actually meant something, or that you could only find one for yourself!

Ambrai
Feb 16, 2001, 03:16 PM
Mayu since you do not understand or have not read the previous posts I beg you to reread my last post. It will explain to you why it bothers us so much.

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 03:25 PM
Ambrial, I have read your posts and respect you opinion. Dont get me wrong, I didnt cheat until the game became a drag. Cheaters are NOT hurting you. You dont quest with them, you dont talk to them you dont have anything to do with them so what you say has no validity. It sounds like a bunch of envious, jealous gamer who are only upset because they are working hard for thier items in THIER games while cheaters are having it easy in THIER games. In no way do cheaters affect PSO. You get out of it what you put into it and that's that. I see your point, but i simply dont agree with it only because cheaters only affect your char or game exp if you let them! I come from a wealthy family, and have had it easy most of my life! Does that give others the right to condem me becasue they've had to work hard all THIER life? Just because I have it easy doesnt mean I'm not a hard worker or lack any passion. It's just the way it is. I love PSO and cant wait for PSO 2 or PS 5! I wont cheat on any game that has some substance to it. Look at PS 1-4! Never cheated on those never will! Why? Because they are a challange! PSO is not a challange after a certain level. Hey I'm not trying to bash legit players and I'm not trying to stick up for cheaters, I just feel like this is something that has been blown out of porportion

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 03:28 PM
Oh! There is NO value to any items in PSO anyway since, they are easily obtained by playing online by yourself on the other difficulties. You cant say either that by cheaters distributing rare items it affects you at all. Dont accept the items, dont play with level 1's who have a DB Saber or Dragon Slayer! That's all there is to it! They made items to avaliable to begin with! Each class and char should only be able to obtain 1 of each rare item just like it used to be

nerpish
Feb 16, 2001, 04:20 PM
I'm sick of cheating morons who they're they're hot stuff because they can drop 100,000 meseta in front of me like nothing.

LAME.

I ignore any/all cheaters. I'm NOT impressed.

The other bad side of cheating -- newbies run around expecting someone to hand them tons of crap without having to put forth any effort.

This taints the entire game, no matter how private you can make your team. I'm sorry, but we all share the same lobbies.

Ambrai
Feb 16, 2001, 04:28 PM
Discussing the whole thing with mayu over icq now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_cool.gif.

All I have to say to conclude my point is. What would you rather have for a gaming enviornment?

Diablo or Everquest? Your call.

Arcadean
Feb 16, 2001, 04:37 PM
I only read the first page because I wanted to reply to this. Cheat your ass off, but don't tell anyone. And don't bring it to this board, if you cheated with GS codes...I don't want to know, and if you tell me I am gong to post that I don't like what your doing and many others will too. Thats like asking 20 people to flame you, don't do it. Everyone is flaming the people that ask for GS codes or other stuff, I do it also. I have no problem with cheaters cheating their ass off offline but when you do it online you lose trust with your fellow teamates because you well...cheated. It may enhance your enjoyment in the game, but please pick one or 2 options: Cheat and play offline or Play online clean. Making things hard to get makes things more fun, if Sega could ban cheats I would for one vote with them. But they can't so lets try to be nice, go post at a code board. Might find something there other than flames.

Ratsmack
Feb 16, 2001, 04:40 PM
Ah ha ha ha ha...ho boy...smart people can be irritating, but people who TRY to sound smart are just plain funny. I'll go with ambrai on this one, READ her posts and don't say the same thing in response. You see, she's stating specifically HOW it effects us, and that kind of crushes your little argument that it doesn't hurt us in any way. OF COURSE it does! The people who earn stuff find it without value because there's a bunch of newbies running around tossing double sabers out like they're the best players in the world. WRONG. Myau, you are NOT a gamer. A three year old who doesn't cheat is more of a gamer than you are. People who cheat obviously can't play well enough to go on without cheating, so they're not gamers. They're cheaters. There's no such thing as a combination of the two. As for you being rich in real life...did you cheat to get born into a wealthy family? Did you enter some code while you were being born that you'd be teleported to a wealthy family? No? Well, there goes your argument (and I use the term argument VERY loosely). As for you playing since the Atari days...wow. That gives you the right to do whatever the hell you want because you've played Atari! Yippee do dah! Now, cheaters come into my game and are on the team, so...what am I supposed to do again? Leave? Every time I see a cheater, I leave? Sorry bud, I didn't do anything wrong, THEY did. Cheaters can stop cheating, players can't just stop playing. Also, I seriously doubt that you went through PS 1-4...or any RPG for that matter, as you said that, and I quote, "Oh well if Sega wants us to not resort to codes and cheats, then they should make a game with some substance and a game where the only goal is to master a 3 hit combo and hack and slash 5 or 6 enimes to bits that all look the same!" Every RPG has repetition in it, you fight enemies...and you fight more enemies...then you fight a boss...then you fight more enemies. *ahem* What RPGs have you beaten, again? And by beaten, I don't mean cheated, because those are two different things. If Sega didn't want idiots to use cheats, they wouldn't have become a game company and would be making potholders right now. As far as what you said about just leaving your girlfriend when you get bored of them...that's just...really, really, REALLY sad. Oh, and one more thing, Myau, it's spelt "their" not "thier."

Rei
Feb 16, 2001, 04:46 PM
Every heard of "Save the player, kill the game"??

Just blame GS. Can Sonic Team sue GS for this??

RedVento
Feb 16, 2001, 04:50 PM
Ok, having just joined the site, and taking a few minutes to salavate over the rare items, I have been reading this forum, and a few things struck me.....
Let me first clarif that I do not cheat/weapon steal I actually can be found GIVING items away that I can't use or don't want. That being said... I have also been frustrated by a total lack of ability to find any good rare items... I find plenty of double sabres and db swords, not that I want them, but never the guns I am looking for. So I see why people would use the gameshark codes to cheat. But telling them to do it offline only is kinda retarded. Sure they can cheat offline, but the results of said cheating would follow them online. They would still have all the items and meseta they wanted. As long as they don't steal from me, and if they help out then fine.. What annoys me more than anything else are the people who ignore the room full of baddies to concentrate on destroying the evil boxes. Although I do get a slightly warm feeling in the pit of my stomach when I see that they've been surrounded and killed. It happens so often I just let them stay dead for a while rather than waste my TP. But back to rare item gathering, I have found that most of the time I am finding the crap I want offline.. so I've been playing offline almost as much as online, and in a day or two I'll be playing in VH offline and hopefully finding the items I've been missing online.

That's my two cents..

Rei
Feb 16, 2001, 04:52 PM
Ratsmack, smart people are lurking. Maybe REAL smart people are laughing at this thread thinking "wtf with today's kids?? It's just a game!"

For so many times you stated that what is smart and what is stupid. You might be smart, but can't deniy that you're very childish.

Light-Weaver
Feb 16, 2001, 04:58 PM
I'll make this short. (cause I have to go right now http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

But in my experince it ALWAYS more fun not to cheat.

Ratsmack
Feb 16, 2001, 04:58 PM
True, Rei, true, I'm being very stubborn, but then again, so are the people arguing against me. And I don't remember saying what is smart and what is stupid unless you mean me saying cheating is stupid and not cheating is smart, something that's pretty much a fact. I have called cheaters stupid...and I don't see much of a problem with that. And Red makes a good point, that cheating offline will follow them online. Still, it is decreasing the value of stuff and ruining the in game "economy" (for lack of a better word).

Gamblor
Feb 16, 2001, 04:59 PM
Hell, I dont care if you cheat or not. I dont and thats how I play. If you want to cheat go right ahead I payed $50 for this game and want to get everything out of it with the feeling that I did it myself, not with some cheat or hack. So cheat if you want to..im going to have my fun no matter what you do.

Gamblor

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 05:08 PM
Look I am only trying to make a point! I am a true gamer because I enjoy all consoles and all RPG's! Next lets speak how ridiculous it is for someone to get personally smashed for simply stating an opinion! I NEVER bashed anyone personally! This thread was supposed to discuss whether cheating in a game is good or bad or whether you gave a sh*t or not! You can call me what you will but I have a respect for games that those of you bashing me will never have. And that comes from playing games for so long! Smack or whatever you name is! You missed my whole point! There is alot more i could say but i dont want to detract anymore from this board that already has been. I am simply in favor of using codes so long as it's not duping cash and items or infinite hp and tp. Those ruin the game but for levels and people who have trounced this game why not? What do you care? Play with someone else! I have been on icq with another person from this board who disagreed with me and we have reached a happy medium! Neither of us bashed each other or resorted to name calling. That stuff is for kids, something that I havent been in a long long time! LOL

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 05:13 PM
Oh to answer your question, I've beaten, all the Final Fantasy's, all the Phantasy Stars Chrono Trigger and Cross just to name a few. I play em all and I beat em all without cheating. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif Yes every RPG has repitiion in it but most have something to make it worth while! Looks it's my opinion and that's the way it is. I see you points and understand where you are coming from i just dont agree with you! SO go ahead and bash me some more if it makes you feel better about yourself.

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 05:15 PM
Oh yea i almost forgot! Smart has nothing to do with video games! Games are entertainment! And yes Sega should make a game with some substance to it especially if they are goint to use the name Phantasy Star! Sorry guys for ranting but I know it irritiates you. http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif It's just to easy! Come on icq and lets talk about it if you want a friendly debate!

RedVento
Feb 16, 2001, 05:56 PM
I feel the need to reply. I'm bored at work, what can I say. I've been gaming since 1984 on my apple IIE and Bally's Arcade System. I am probably dating myself. And from my vast experience from those two archaic systems, through the segas and pcs is that cheating will happen.. In PSO cheating is something that we will have to deal with. (unless you only play off-line) Does it cheapen a game? Who's to say. If someone benifits from cheating and it doesn't affect anything OTHER than your sensabilities and morals, then no it doesn't cheapen the game. Cheaters do not impose their will on other players, if it makes them happy to do it, let them. I am not sure if I've ever played with a "cheater" in PSO, don't think it would bother me. I've been known to cheat myself. Cheated in Curse of the Azure bonds, use Norton Sector Editor to give my character 25s accross the board.. did it cheapen the game? Not really, it did make the game easier to beat however... In PSO that doesn't really matter though, there is no "beating the game" it can be played forever if you like. I will keep playing till I find all the weapons I want, and get to use them, with different characters. If I could do that without a GS I probably would(I know my wife would be pleased by me playing this time sucking demon of a game less) The thing about cheaters is that no matter how much people bitch and moan about them, cheaters will always be around, love them or hate them, or ignore them like me.

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 06:35 PM
Ah thank you my point exactly! Fianlly some sees all sides!

Syntax
Feb 16, 2001, 07:22 PM
I agree with Red on some issues, however for Mayu to believe that there is no effect online from a cheater flinging rares around is just silly. In my earlier post I mentioned that if you are goign to cheat do't impose it on others, and that would include not GIVING away cheated weapons. Sell them and give materia, at least that keeps newbee's at the proper equiptment level(not to be mean, but fair). In any case It was never equiptment that i had a problem getting, it was Mag food. For that reason alone I could see someone cheating to get Materia. While one could argue that super powerful Mags will saturate the game at least it takes time and work to raise a mag, regardless of funds.
I do personally think that cheating is not the best way to play, but it is also unavoidable. So, I again petition everyone to just label games. if you jsut name your game C-xxxxxx or NC-xxxxxx then player's will be able to pick and choose and everyone will be happy.... right????

-Syntax
*Finds out his two cents are duped*

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 07:29 PM
That's what I mean guys! That they only affect our play if we let them. I hate item and Mestea dups! I dont give anything away or sell it and I dont buy anything unless its from my brother or buddy when they are online! I feel like we all missed each others points! I just ignore cheaters when I can tell if they actually are cheaters! http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_smile.gif

gamer88
Feb 16, 2001, 07:49 PM
Time for another post. Let me be sure I got this, I can cheat on my game that I paid for, as long as I stay offline? Hmm, ok...yeah...sure. Comparing the game to work, g/f, school is like comparing apples and oranges. The item system in PSO is fatally flawed, in which lower level gamers get the ultra rare items higher levels can't find. if it was based on your exp. level, not many people, including myself would cheat. But I see a level 45 walking around with a soul eater, while my level 73 still has a dbl saber and i've been playing the game for 20 more hours than him is not right. I've beat the quests, just not in the right order, so I can't get a soul eater. BTW, is'nt that cheating in itself, posting the way to get an item? If I can't find it w/o reading how, I don't need it right? I also collect sports cards, I use every tactic I can to get the best cards. If I had a way to get the game used ken griffey jr. jersey card, I would, without hesitation. I have as much right as you to play the game, online or offline.

Loden
Feb 16, 2001, 07:58 PM
I'm surprised that this post has gone on for so long. There is no effect to you from a cheater offline. I know that most of you play in private sessions anyway. Where else can you use your unique weapons without people you trust.

If this is the case then a cheater effects you only if you let them into your inner circle. Am I a bit upset because I've killed Dark Falz several times (not no very hard though) and STILL haven't found a double saber? Hell ya. But I'll be the ONLY one to admit that I am simply jealous of the cheaters.

No I don't want to cheat. I have the equipment to do so but I just don't want to. When the game bored me as much as it did Myau1 I simply started over with a new ranger with a different look. I wanted to see if use natural caps on my name if it made a difference and I did get a new section ID so I'm gonna play that out.

Now, if he intends to cheat and bring those items online, so be it. With so many ships and blocks to chose from and the fact that I almost always play in private games, our paths will never cross. Even if they did I have the right to quit out and find another team. Notice that I didn't immediately discredit the person or lash out at their character.

And for those of you who play EQ. I know, I KNOW you got twinks. For those of you who don't play EverQuest a twink is a lower lvl character with items, weapons, armor that he/she is not able to acquire at that lvl. I play a lvl 52 SK and Yes I absolutely do have a twink. Am I wrong for having a twink? Nope. As a matter of fact EQ gamers don't even care about that. Something I would've expected here. Sonic Team has done a great job of putting attribute and lvl requirements on the items so UNLIKE Everquest, there will be no newbie Paladins with Soul Fire here. Never really expected EQ gamers to give a crap about cheaters here. Nor the rest of you for that matter.

Money means absolutely nothing in PSO. If you offer me 900,000 meseta for anything greater than a monomate I'll tell you no. I don't need your money nor do you need mine. Most of us have loads of cash in the bank so if you thought you were gonna save up for a Double Saber, you're wrong. Now you could get a nice item to trade. THAT can happen. Then again is a cheater who has everything really gonna offer something better for that trade to get something he already has?

Guys this is a non-issue. They cannot effect us in anyway and I don't think it's hurting the games economic system at all because there is none. I've never purchased a weapon and when friends of mine give me an item they found that I could use or I them we throw cash at each other and laugh. "I don't want yer stinking meseta!" we'll say because it's only good for feeding the mag. Force players are the only exception to this but they still wouldn't SELL a rare item to anyone for any price because if they play the forest on V-Hard they will be rich.

We cannot stop them from cheating. All we can do is discourage it and not associate ourselves with them. Any more than that is just plain wrong. And please before you make such statements. I am not a cheater and take great pleasure in seeing if I can actually find rare items. Furthermore, do not make comments on how cheating in this GAME is immoral and tarnishes our society as a whole. You never know, you could be bashing someone you have great respect for in REAL LIFE.

Don't let the small stuff get to ya. After all... It's just a game.

Loden

Arcadean
Feb 16, 2001, 08:18 PM
For some people Computer Games are their life. Including me.

Loden
Feb 16, 2001, 08:28 PM
Whatever floats your boat. If you chill'n like Matt Dillon, and happy as a fat cat then go for it.

I'm not defending them but honestly you have to alow them to effect your game.

Have fun and if you see me first... I did something wrong http://www.pso-world.com/images/phpbb/icons/icon_cool.gif

Loden

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 08:43 PM
Thank you! Finally someone who is thinking along the same lines as I am. I highly recommend playing fairly at least until you defeat the game every way possible! Thank you for not bashing me personally and for making some very good points. The 3 or 4 posts above me were right on the money! Yea I also agree that cheating shouldnt even be an issue! Just play the game and enjoy it since it's usually 7 years between PS games!

Ratsmack
Feb 16, 2001, 09:09 PM
Wow, myau, you can certainly change from a radical to a moderate in the space of one post! I remind you that what you first posted on this topic was SO controversial, you were INVITING an angry argument. As for personally bashing you? I called you stupid because you cheat and that you drop a girlfriend after you get bored of them, which is just plain sad. I'm sorry if you don't agree, but seeing as you're the person that does it, your opinion is predictable. This never was a friendly argument, as the first things you said were along the lines of "It seems like everyone complaining sounds like a bunch of people who themselves want to cheat but dont so they get upset with people who do. Remeber, thinking it is just as bad as doing it! The intent is there and that would make you hypocrites. " *ahem* Personally bashing, much? And the NC and C thing would not work, because not all cheaters are as "nice" as myau, they cheat for the explicit purpose to look all big and strong, and not admit that they cheated to get themselves anywhere. Not too sure myau isn't like that. And gamer? Speaking of comparing apples with oranges, very nice of you to base an argument on your card collecting. And you made the general statement of when I get bored of something, I cheat. That doesn't work anywhere. You're right, though, gamer, you have a right to play offline and online all you want, but you don't have a right to cheat until you're so far above everything and everybody that you can look down and say "I'm so damn good." While you're little more than a newbie. I don't understand why it's so hard for you people to give up cheating. If the game's so horribly flawed and terrible in every way, DON'T PLAY IT. Simple enough, right? You don't like it, don't do it, and leave the people that do like it alone. I'll admit, PSO is kind of disappointing in quite a few ways, but I'd never cheat in it just to spite these flaws. Cheaters may cheat as they want, but I feel that when they're bashing the enemies away that I didn't earn whatever I got from the fight, that it was the cheater's cheats that got me it all, and it ruins my game. And all the moderates who have posted opposing my arguing against it, you're right. It's a MORAL thing. I have morals that stop me from taking the easy way through everything, and so do all true gamers. THAT'S the problem. THAT'S why it's an issue.

Josh
Feb 16, 2001, 09:23 PM
Just join games with people around your level or create games and say "Level 60-70" or something. If you're gonna join a game, then press X to see who's in there and if you see level 100 gameshark cheaters, then don't join and find a new game. That's what I do...

Loden
Feb 16, 2001, 09:33 PM
And that is the very point everyone needs to understand.

For them to ruin your game, they HAVE to be playing with you. No way it can happen if you elect not to play with them at all or play private games that do not allow cheaters.

Anyone continuing this argument is obviously missing this key point.

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 11:05 PM
Ok I've tried not to get personal all day as these debates are all in good fun. Now it seems that Ratsmack is a ratbastard! WOW big F*cking deal! Cheatin on a game! My god the world is coming to an end! I didnt say that I cheated in the beggining. So go to hell you piece of 15 year old rat s**t. You just dont get it do you? Your limited intelligence keeps you from seeing that the only true way a cheater ruins your game is by involving him or herself with you and your party. What kind of ***hole comes onto this board with the intent to personally attack someone they dont even know! Get over it you pathetic geek. Your kind ruins all the fun that is gaming. You feel the need to shout out and slam people simply cuz they dont agree with you. Id tell you to grow up but I dont think your old enough for that yet so I'll let it pass. What kind of gamer trys to get others banned from a server for cheating when they really arent doing any harm to anyone who doesnt want to be involved! Your crap! As for Gf's if you had any intelligence at all and respect for others you'd know that when you tire of someones company you move on out of respect for yourself and the other person, but you wouldnt know about that since your girlfriends still wear training bras. Your a bastard Ratsmack. You have absolutly NO clue about anything. Your the kind of person the runs his mouth without ever thinking about what he is saying. Just so long as you can be loud and obnoxious! Let me clue you in to something Ratsmack, I stated that my view on this was MY opinion and that was all but you found it nessasary to slam MY opinion. Did I say yous sucked? NO! Did I ever personally attack you until now? NO! Oh well I still think this if extemely funny since I've pissed of some kid with nothing better to do than bag on people all day! You know most people agree that cheating does suck but it's sad that you'd get soooooo pissed about something like this. Man go get laid or something and spare these boards and the people here your lame arguments and sh***ty attitude! Hey do you consider it cheating when I start a new char and give all my items to my buddy, then he gives em back to me when i log on with the new char? I bet you do! Your nothing but a sick control freak, that has to always one up everyone else to compensate for the size of your d**k! There that's it from now on I wont be arguing like this on these boards. I want to talk PS not this kind of crap

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 11:10 PM
I want to also appologize you to all of you innocents people scouring these board having to listen to all of this. It wont be happening again!

Gamblor
Feb 16, 2001, 11:11 PM
Gamblor!

myau1
Feb 16, 2001, 11:49 PM
I am hereby publicly appologizing to Ratsmack!

Ratsmack
Feb 16, 2001, 11:54 PM
Funny thing. I...am 15. Duh. Nice to see you're contradicting your own arguments one by one. First, personal bashing. That entire post was personal bashing. Lemme just say that I am sorry for the room that took up. At least make a reasonable argument, geez. And as for forcing my opinion on others...well, it ain't so. First off because it isn't only MY opinion, it is the opinion of every honest gamer (save for the people who don't really give a shit...don't really blame them, though.), second because you're trying to force your once-radical opinion on others. And thanks for the apology. And I agree 100% with gamblor!