PDA

View Full Version : A PSO2 game on other platforms?

Mike
Feb 1, 2012, 05:28 AM
There's a questionaire up on the Player's Site with an interesting question. It asks "If there was a game in the PSO2 series that used character data from the PC version and came out on a different platform, what platform would you play it on?" Some of the answers include the PS3, Wii, 360, iPad/iPhone, PSVita/PSP, and the 3DS/DS. In similar questionaires, this has been a flag for a sequel or new game. It hasn't always been fruitful (PSZero's non-existant DLC) but has been something I've found to be a decent barometer of what Sega is planning to do.

Polantaris
Feb 1, 2012, 05:30 AM
As long as it's a separate game and not a port...I'm all for it.

Ce'Nedra
Feb 1, 2012, 05:46 AM
^This.

PSO2 should stay PC only or it will be doomed to end up like PSU in terms of updates and support.

Mag-X
Feb 1, 2012, 10:13 AM
I wouldn't mind separate games that take place in the same universe, like how they did the Phantasy Star Portable games on the PSP. Except now I'd hope they make them for the Vita so it doesn't look like I'm playing an animated GIF.

SuKKrl
Feb 1, 2012, 10:38 AM
I think vita would be better due to portability and the dual analogues.

Cayenne
Feb 1, 2012, 10:57 AM
Make it PS3 so i can take it out of my closet, unbox, and put it to good use.

Other wise, keep it PC

NoiseHERO
Feb 1, 2012, 12:38 PM
With the concept of sharing your characters in two different games...

I think PC paired up with a handheld device makes more sense, than a console which is just a 2nd computer, that may as well be another desktop in this case.

PSO2 characters ported to the 3DS... I dunno...

So it's either vita or gaming tablet/ipad whatever or something, of course I'm never buying a tablet.

Serephim
Feb 1, 2012, 12:47 PM
PS3.

Strongest current gen system, Blu Ray discs, PSN is free (not that it matters).

Either that or Vita.

Wont be on Xbox. That's Japanese Videogame Suicide.

No nintendo systems. They suck.

tylander4
Feb 1, 2012, 05:07 PM
Just like with pso for the original Xbox.. PSO2 should follow.. I spent countless hours playing pso on the box... pc was good too but the box had something good... I would definitely pay for the online service like i did on PSO. I’ll be watching closely *fingers crossed*

Ce'Nedra
Feb 1, 2012, 05:31 PM
If any console Vita indeed. 3DS wouldn't be able to handle the graphics of PSO2's level i think. That or PS4.

l_Will_l
Feb 1, 2012, 05:35 PM
Please Sony is what KILLED PSU PC, PS3 is a waste of effort. Their online goes down and then you will wait for months, jonsing to play this game, that you pay for monthly, but Sony doesn't care because you pay them nothing for their online service, yeah sounds like a solid play.

Keep the game PC only, makes updates and fixes much much easier, and it will leave the game more enjoyable for everyone else.

Sorry people complain, well not everyone has a gaming pc, well some of us do, not everyone has a PS3 or a gaming console for that matter, it's a 2 way street. You can't please everyone.

Anon_Fire
Feb 1, 2012, 05:37 PM
Just like with pso for the original Xbox.. PSO2 should follow.. I spent countless hours playing pso on the box... pc was good too but the box had something good... I would definitely pay for the online service like i did on PSO. I’ll be watching closely *fingers crossed*

You gotta be kidding me.

Please Sony is what KILLED PSU PC, PS3 is a waste of effort. Their online goes down and then you will wait for months, jonsing to play this game, that you pay for monthly, but Sony doesn't care because you pay them nothing for their online service, yeah sounds like a solid play.

Keep the game PC only, makes updates and fixes much much easier, and it will leave the game more enjoyable for everyone else.

Sorry people complain, well not everyone has a gaming pc, well some of us do, not everyone has a PS3 or a gaming console for that matter, it's a 2 way street. You can't please everyone.

What do you mean "Sony killed PSU PC"?

I think you mean, Microsoft.

l_Will_l
Feb 1, 2012, 05:50 PM
I think you didn't read my post. Sony killed PSU PC. The PC had nothing wrong with it besides the billing server, which I am sure could have been fixed. It was the shitty PS2 that couldn't load anything if it's life depended on it that killed the server. There was alot of people that played PS2 only, and it was just awful. I was there too, I have played them all since release day. Including PSO. If anything I agree Tylander4, PSO was good on Xbox. Consoles in general are not good for MMORPG games. It's as simple as that. Making this PC only was the best choice.

Ceresa
Feb 1, 2012, 05:56 PM
^This.

PSO2 should stay PC only or it will be doomed to end up like PSU in terms of updates and support.

If PSO2 is as dependent on doling out one crappy mission every other week like PSU then it's doomed regardless of PC exclusivity.

There's zero reason why they can't port it to PS3 (and Vita) and use sensible content distribution to mitigate any delays/testing imposed by Sony, or MS, or Nintendo before they're allowed to update. Sensible content distribution meaning they release an actual game's worth of content at launch (example: level 100, a dozen unique areas and bosses, multiple difficulties) and save the updates for actual content that just finished development/testing. Expansion packs for the big updates.

None of the big Western MMOs are dependent on weekly updates, even WoW only gets like 2 content patches a year. Japan is pretty happy with their Monster Hunter that only gets a few gimmick online missions rotated every few days. Pretty amazing how useless frequent updates really are for the successful games that didn't hold anything back at launch.

DoubleCannon
Feb 1, 2012, 06:33 PM
pfft Wii U all the way! seriously pso was gamecube mostly and Id be so not happy to see it end up on a playstation system!! or xbox. wii u would be epic i think

Mike
Feb 1, 2012, 06:41 PM
The question isn't about PSO2 being on a seperate platform it's about a game in the PSO2 series being on another platform. To me this means something like Phantasy Star Portable 1~2i so even if the 360 or PS3 ended up being a secondary platform, there wouldn't be interoperability like the PC-PS2 versions of PSU would be aside from maybe some kind of character import.

Dinosaur
Feb 1, 2012, 06:42 PM
If PSO2 is as dependent on doling out one crappy mission every other week like PSU then it's doomed regardless of PC exclusivity.

It's already beyond that. There are drops!

NoiseHERO
Feb 1, 2012, 06:57 PM
The question isn't about PSO2 being on a seperate platform it's about a game in the PSO2 series being on another platform. To me this means something like Phantasy Star Portable 1~2i so even if the 360 or PS3 ended up being a secondary platform, there wouldn't be interoperability like the PC-PS2 versions of PSU would be aside from maybe some kind of character import.

This,

Why is this turning into a remake of the "PSO2 SHOULD BE ON X CONSOLE" thread? D<

blace
Feb 1, 2012, 07:00 PM
Thread title is misleading.

Mike
Feb 1, 2012, 07:04 PM
It was so I changed it to something I thought would be clearer.

DoubleCannon
Feb 1, 2012, 07:40 PM
if say a new game and for what it should be on.. I would actually love a phantasy star game to be put on the 3DS .. yes 3DS because A) I have it.. B) Would love to play it at my work lmao. sry i really dont like vita and nintendo is way more deserving of a phantasy star game than sony any day IMO. Microsoft is eh.. they dont have a portable system so they dont count lol. PSZ was pretty awesome, i lost 100's of hours playing it. 3DS is a huge improvement and if none agree. play mario kart or mario 3d land. the graphics on that game is crisp!!

Emmie
Feb 1, 2012, 07:41 PM
I'd rather SEGA waited for the next generation console to release another console PS game. Vita might be good idea, but personally I hated playing PSPo2 on the PSP. It hurt my wrists. I'm happy that PSO2 is a PC game where I can use a real controller!

Serephim
Feb 1, 2012, 09:11 PM

It has nothing to do with PC, the thread is specifically talking about platforms other than PC. The PS3 is a stronger system, and has an much better storage medium (even if it doesn't count for much for an online game). Its online features are free and its market system is infinitely less complicated than Microsoft and its retarded MS Point system.

Xbox 360 has Xbox Live, although it doesn't count for anything because 1) you dont need gold to play a subscription game anyway because 2) Microsoft doesn't host the servers. So now it basically becomes a choice of whether or not Cross Party Chat is something you truly believe is important to a gaming experience. Cross Party Chat is not avaliable on PS3 (Which has absolutely nothing to do with PSN's network capabilities, contrary to popular belief), but in order to use it on 360, you will need an Xbox Live subscription.

The Wii...I dont think i need to explain myself.

The Wii-U would probably would be a great platform, being about 50% stronger than the PS3, but this counts for nothing as 1) it isn't out yet, and 2) there are farrrrr more people with PS3s and 360's than Wii-Us.

In the end:

PSO2 is a Japanese videogame. Xbox360 might as well not even exist in japan -- it's about as popular as a GameGear. PS3 is a japanese console, in japan. PSP is a popular multiplayer platform in japan. Vita is the successor to PSP. Vita and PS3 will eventually have alot of connectivity. Vita is capable of running PS3 games, and vice versa.

This is why i chose PS3. Either way I see it, if it's put on ANY sony system, the possibilities are higher than any other platform OTHER than PC.

Dunno about you guys though. 3DS is another choice, but hardware wise, i dont see the point in limiting themselves like that when you can put it on Vita / Console. Sega doesn't need to take the bitch route Capcom did with Monster Hunter.

Crystal_Shard
Feb 2, 2012, 12:32 AM
I'm fine with Vita as a choice, but you know, Sega did add another interesting suggestion in their survey questions - Smartphones and Tablets. Either, especially an Android version, would be a far more open system for Sakai's current PSO plans.

Personally, I think an iOS / android version for tablets would be just what the doctor ordered.

NoiseHERO
Feb 2, 2012, 12:51 AM
Okay the possibility of another game, in the same series as PSO2...

Similiar to PSP1 and PSP2 and PSP2i was a branch off from PSU.

With the concept of carrying over your characters...

In this thread... it automatically becomes console wars and "which console to bring main PSO2 to" rage...

I still say from that vague bit of interest, doing a portable series again would make the most sense, then vita obviously having the better graphics.

Having a SIDE GAME, on a main console... parallel to the real game being on PC as a console-PC quality game or-NO I DON'T KNOW, IT JUST SOUNDS STUPID! I CAN'T EXPLAIN IT!

It'd be like taking kingdomhearts on the GBA, and putting it on the consoles. Which they did. and. It sucked. But it was mostly just to feed the fans and it came free with the stupid final mix anyway. At least in japan.

The point is it just sounds ridiculous. PSO2 is the main game, It's PC only but you can port your character to rappy dungeon adventure on the PS3... Or... </insert halfassed mini version with no updates of PSO2>, but it's on the consoles that could probably handle the main game.

Or-bah-fafadf-no-whatever.

Just pick a handheld!

SuKKrl
Feb 2, 2012, 09:24 AM
I'm fine with Vita as a choice, but you know, Sega did add another interesting suggestion in their survey questions - Smartphones and Tablets. Either, especially an Android version, would be a far more open system for Sakai's current PSO plans.

Personally, I think an iOS / android version for tablets would be just what the doctor ordered.

Well, after playing a lot of garbage and badly optimized games (have to say, they're cheap) for the iphone I can't help but worry what pso game Sega would make for it.

The usual pso style isn't really viable due to the controls and Sega has made some stupid decisions in its iOS games like changing the menu on Sonic 2 rendering the level select cheat useless. Some unrelated game with the brand slapped on it would be the probable choice, if its good I wouldn't mind but Sega's record isn't that great there.

Can't help but be pessimistic about it.

Zaix
Feb 2, 2012, 10:19 AM
I'm definitely in favor of putting a side game on the Vita.

1.Side games do well enough on handheld platforms.
2. Vita is superior to 3DS in hardware and playability.

SephirothXer0
Feb 2, 2012, 05:25 PM
Another vote for the Vita from me

Phantasy Star Victory please?

D-Inferno
Feb 2, 2012, 07:14 PM
After they release the "expansion pack" to PSO2("PSO2 EpII"), we can get PSO2 Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution on the 3DS!

AR Cards would sure help enhance the gameplay!

Crystal_Shard
Feb 2, 2012, 08:12 PM
Well, after playing a lot of garbage and badly optimized games (have to say, they're cheap) for the iphone I can't help but worry what pso game Sega would make for it.

The usual pso style isn't really viable due to the controls and Sega has made some stupid decisions in its iOS games like changing the menu on Sonic 2 rendering the level select cheat useless. Some unrelated game with the brand slapped on it would be the probable choice, if its good I wouldn't mind but Sega's record isn't that great there.

Can't help but be pessimistic about it.

Agreed that there's a host of badly optimised games out there, but remember that Sega would have also have more freedom to do things they might not be able to otherwise (true for android, less true for iOS). Controller wise, there are gamepads that work with both Android and iOS.

Realistically, I think that Sega will just follow the money. PSP has been profitable for them, so more likely than not, we will see a Vita PSO 2 Portable or something like it.

NoiseHERO
Feb 2, 2012, 08:43 PM
After they release the "expansion pack" to PSO2("PSO2 EpII"), we can get PSO2 Episode III: C.A.R.D. Revolution on the 3DS!

AR Cards would sure help enhance the gameplay!

I'm down for some card battle games and augmented reality!

Mike
Feb 2, 2012, 09:00 PM
Realistically, I think that Sega will just follow the money. PSP has been profitable for them, so more likely than not, we will see a Vita PSO 2 Portable or something like it.
I think the hardware choice depends on the a lot on online experience. Things like network infrastructure and developer access, control to said infrastructure, and policy. Sony and the various tablets/smartphones are probably the best bet in the this aspect. As consumers we don't really get to see inside this part of the development but it is important to us. Better online experience = more players. More players = more money.

Kent
Feb 2, 2012, 09:25 PM
Maybe they should open this survey up to the masses outside of Japan.

I can almost guarantee that the answers will be overwhelmingly in favor of either the 3DS or the Vita. Outside of Japan though, gamers dramatically favor their home consoles over anything else - especially the PSP and likely the Vita as well, all things considered. The 3DS would probably be the way to go for a portable game (assuming it would be, you know, playable at all, unlike on something like the iPhone), but a console release, specifically a multiplatform one, is really the way to go from a worldwide scope.

landman
Feb 3, 2012, 12:37 AM
I was hopping to see a new game in the Zero series in 3DS, or even a new version of the PSU series in the Vita, if they are thinking in an expanded PSO2 world, then put all this content in PSO2 xd

Serephim
Feb 3, 2012, 12:38 AM
Know what would be cool?

PSO Episode 5.

of course that's impossible since only pservers run the game now

FOkyasuta
Feb 3, 2012, 01:44 AM
They already got a thing with Sony but then again, they've had that for a while so it wouldn't be a surprise if we see it on the Vita.

Even the flippin PSO2 Survey mentions the Vita as a "If a PSO2-related game that used your character data came out for another console, what would you want it to be for?" candidate.