PDA

View Full Version : Where are we now?

RSmiroldo
Feb 2, 2012, 12:23 PM
I'm not asking for a release date because we I know no one knows. However I knew that before all the issues with the initial Alpha they had hopes of releasing the game in 2011 (in Japan). From what I read the second Alpha seems to be going better and general consensus is the game looks amazing. Given the information we have how far along in the development cycle do you think we are? I'm still holding out hope that mid year it will be released, what do you guys think?

Poubelle
Feb 2, 2012, 12:30 PM
Maybe it's just me, but the game feels too polished to be called an "Alpha", but maybe they want it to be perfect~ ^^;

I hope for a mid year release, too, but I guess nobody knows. but based on playing I would say the beta phases will probably progress at a quick rate... that's a hopeful guess.

Slidikins
Feb 2, 2012, 12:31 PM
It's still an Alpha release and some systems are still missing, such as MAGs. As much as I want a summer release (dunno why, it's not as if I'm on vacation) I wouldn't mind at all if they polished it for a holiday release.

xMarle
Feb 2, 2012, 12:35 PM
It may be very polished, but consider the level cap and the lack of content.

It could be that there's not enough content. It's hard to say at this point. The content they have shown thus far, is definitely polished enough. If level 20 was the final level this game would be as good as released. :)

Currently, i think the next alpha/beta stages will revolve around testing very specific features. Each one won't run for very long much like the current alpha test.

I don't see release being that far off honestly. :)

str898mustang
Feb 2, 2012, 12:35 PM
The Beta is gonna be during the summer.

Poubelle
Feb 2, 2012, 12:37 PM

why do you say that? D:

Cayenne
Feb 2, 2012, 12:54 PM

I hope that's true.

Eclipse5632
Feb 2, 2012, 01:03 PM
I don't have a link to the article handy, but there was an interview with Sakai Satoshi (the producer of PSO2) where he said the beta test would be "before it gets hot". So, expect it to be late spring/early summer or something, I guess.

With that info I'd suspect that the game will be released in fall or winter of this year. I'm just glad that they're taking the time that they need to make this game really good and not just pushing it out ASAP.

str898mustang
Feb 2, 2012, 01:14 PM
why do you say that? D:

it was announced in an email I think

Cayenne
Feb 2, 2012, 01:31 PM
Sweet cause I got things to do until then. No video games til summer for me.

SELENNA
Feb 2, 2012, 01:42 PM
I'm expecting a beta in May and the full game in September

Zyrusticae
Feb 2, 2012, 01:59 PM
Sega is being pretty unusual with their handling of PSO2. Ordinarily, "alpha" is a phrase reserved for games that are in their conceptual design phases, with the developers trying out all sorts of ideas in a very rough format. PSO2, on the other hand...

They seem to be doing a very different iterative model, where they start with the basic systems, polish them to perfection, then move on up the ladder. Hence the relative dearth of content at this stage of the game. They want to get everything perfect before they do things like add more weapons, more levels, more enemies, more stages, etc., etc. For most developers, this would be done during the beta stage. However, as the term "beta" has been getting watered down lately due to the preponderance of promotional betas, I can understand why they used "alpha" to give it that air of "this is a game in the middle of development" since beta no longer really qualifies in the public mindset.

Of course, this means that when the game does reach beta stage, it will probably be mind-blowingly awesome in every respect, if the feedback I've seen so far from the alpha is any indication. I can only imagine just what they're planning on having ready for the actual retail release...

Serephim
Feb 2, 2012, 02:31 PM
I doubt they stopped working on content during this alpha. They're just testing what they've done so far. We can only change the game so much. Things that are consistently talked about that are real problems will be fixed, and a few design choices will be altered.

The original "Alpha" phase is useless to this game, because trying to fix all the issues with the players during the BETA phase, when you're pretty much finish and ready to start getting paid, is FAR too late. If a game like Final Fantasy 14 did what sega is doing now, the game would have probably gotten delayed like 2 years or something.

But there's only so much we can do. There will still be balance issues, because they can't let us test all the weapons they develop for the game until we play the game and obtain them (and i dont want to be spoiled!).

Angelo
Feb 2, 2012, 08:20 PM
I think the game is really an alpha because it's more of a test of the system, mechanics, and server than it is of actual game content (which it lacked heavily)

Strangely though, developers are using the term 'alpha' very loosely as of late. I've played in 2 alpha tests for 2 different games in the past few years and in both instances the game seemed to be fairly polished with a hearty amount of content.

Serephim
Feb 2, 2012, 09:40 PM
Yeah "alpha" is just another way of saying "we're letting you play but dont judge us".

SoSxDagg3r89
Feb 3, 2012, 12:07 AM
Yeah "alpha" is just another way of saying "we're letting you play but dont judge us".

Lol well put, I agree with you guys

Beta test seem to be a term used as a demo more then anything.

Just like the PSU beta. After I played the beta I was expecting more content when it was released but no. When PSU was released it was literally exactly the same as the beta was. Content was slowly released into the game of course but like I said. On release PSU was just exactly how the beta was. Very disappointing honestly.

therealAERO
Feb 3, 2012, 12:50 AM
When a game has entered Beta it means it can be played start to finish. Which doesn't mean the bugs are fixed or all the art is final.

Whoever thinks this is all the content they have is CRAAAAAZY. If they plan to release this year then they must have nearly all of the initial content done by now.