PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 TPS Controls?

maki19750124
Feb 3, 2012, 09:18 AM
does anyone have the control layout for TPS mode for keyboard and gamepad?

thanks~

Cayenne
Feb 3, 2012, 10:10 AM
TPS keyboard layout plays like any other PC FPS, it's no different. As for gamepad, take a look here:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192931

maki19750124
Feb 3, 2012, 10:59 AM
oh...that helps but I want to know what button do I push while in TPS mode to instantly turn around instead of moving the camera around to see whats behind me? like in those fps games/zombie games. ^^;

Cayenne
Feb 3, 2012, 11:09 AM
I don't think that's in the game but I use the keyboard/mouse layout so maybe someone here who has played with the gamepad can help maki out?

Itsuki
Feb 3, 2012, 11:21 AM
AFAIK, there isn't a button to instantly turn around. But you'd have to dig through the menus to see if its something you can set.

Just to make sure we have a clear understanding here. The normal PSO view mode, and the shooting mode are just activated by pressing a button (defaults to R3 on a PS3 controller). The buttons do not change when you go into this mode. It still has the exact same controls as when you are normally playing, except you no longer can lock on to targets.

So...

Left analog = movement and strafing
Right analog = camera controls (turning, looking up and down, etc.)

Default controls are:
O - Jump
X - Use
Square - Attack 1
Triangle - Attack 2
R1 - Swap Palette
R2 - Dodge
L1 - Lock on
L2 - Use items
Arrows left/right - change item selected
L3 - Auto run
R3 - Camera mode

Zaix
Feb 3, 2012, 11:38 AM
it has a secondary controller setup that swaps the attacks to r2 and l2 or triggers on 360 controller during TPS. you have to manually enable the auto swapping though.

Mag-X
Feb 3, 2012, 11:47 AM
oh...that helps but I want to know what button do I push while in TPS mode to instantly turn around instead of moving the camera around to see whats behind me? like in those fps games/zombie games. ^^;

Sounds like you need a higher DPI mouse.

maki19750124
Feb 3, 2012, 11:54 AM
Ah ok. Thanks for your help guys.
actually I'm using a logitech gamepad thats shaped like a ps3 controller.

Serephim
Feb 3, 2012, 12:51 PM

You just need to turn around lol.

Fast precision controls don't really help you on this game with Ranger, because the ranger attacks are not really designed like an FPS game's. You can aim for the head all you want, but there's always a specific decay on the weapon, and enemies move alot more than in an FPS game. So more than anything, you just need to know the timing of the PA and the distance.

maki19750124
Feb 3, 2012, 12:56 PM
You just need to turn around lol.

Fast precision controls don't really help you on this game with Ranger, because the ranger attacks are not really designed like an FPS game's. You can aim for the head all you want, but there's always a specific decay on the weapon, and enemies move alot more than in an FPS game. So more than anything, you just need to know the timing of the PA and the distance.

ah alright. Thanks for the info. :)

Serephim
Feb 3, 2012, 01:01 PM
Well im sorry, that isn't to say precision doesn't help, because it definitely does.

But i think what im trying to say is, precision on this game isn't so much about aiming as it is about knowing how the attack is going to work.

Kent
Feb 3, 2012, 03:41 PM
Sounds like you need a higher DPI mouse.
It's not something that applies or is relevant to playing a game with a mouse. Not to mention, some people just aren't comfortable playing a game with a mouse (which is why there are gamepad controls).

But anyway, some games designed around controller use have a "quick turn" feature that allows players to play with a lower sensitivity setting (for more precise aiming) while not sacrificing their ability to quickly turn around.

Probably the best modern example of this is Lost Planet 2, wherein the game's aiming actually doesn't feature a cursor locked to the center of the screen, but moving it toward any side (it doesn't have to touch the side, there's only a small window within the center-ish area of the screen where you can move the cursor without moving the camera) causes you to rotate. Despite how it may sound, it actually allows for very precise aiming when using an analog stick - but at the same time, it doesn't allow for very quick turning around. This is why the implemented quick turn.

Basically, quick turn is what happens when you are currently moving the cursor left or right, and you click the analog stick and your character and view quickly snap about 90 degrees in that direction. If you're pulling back on the stick when you click it, you do a 180, and if you're pushing forward on it, it centers the view horizontally. There's a separate scheme (the default one, actually - which is not the one the manual recommends using) that maps the left and right turning to the LB and RB buttons... But that's just silly.

Experienced players use this a hell of a lot during the game, and it's really something that I personally believe should be in any third-person shooter intended to be played with a controller. Especially since clicking the right stick is typically reserved for zooming-in only with scope-equipped weapons and goes largely-unused anyway (they could easily make it toggle scope when you click it while neutral but quick-turn/center when used in conjunction with any directional input, for example). Changing view modes in a game like PSO2 could probably be easily just relegated to the Start or Back button on a controller, with the other handling opening/closing of the menu.

User input is kind of a big deal, and in my opinion, if you're going to intend for a game to use a specific kind of input (be it mouse/keyboard, gamepad, touchscreen, etc.), it had better have a control scheme specifically-tailored to it, or whomever is in charge of user control design on the development team needs to be out of a job.

Itsuki
Feb 3, 2012, 06:24 PM
Basically, quick turn is what happens when you are currently moving the cursor left or right, and you click the analog stick and your character and view quickly snap about 90 degrees in that direction. If you're pulling back on the stick when you click it, you do a 180, and if you're pushing forward on it, it centers the view horizontally. There's a separate scheme (the default one, actually - which is not the one the manual recommends using) that maps the left and right turning to the LB and RB buttons... But that's just silly.
Since we're on this subject, since L1 is lock on, if there is nothing to lock into in that direction, it also will just center camera. So, when NOT in third person shooter mode, you can quick turn using that. But, AFAIK, it doesn't work in third person shooter mode. But, I'm not really in game to test.

BahnKnakyu
Feb 3, 2012, 10:05 PM
it has a secondary controller setup that swaps the attacks to r2 and l2 or triggers on 360 controller during TPS. you have to manually enable the auto swapping though.

Where do you enable this auto-swap feature? I was wondering about that second Action set, wanted to try out for myself since I have played a PC/console TPS on a gamepad before (Star Wars Battlefront 2).