PDA

View Full Version : This Game Seems Too Chaotic And Fluid?

Stagnant
Feb 4, 2012, 03:15 PM
One of the main things I liked about PSO was the ability to line up enemies as a ranger with spread weapons and pound away at them while standing in one spot and having hunters go up to them swinging and fos casting spells midfield.

I just recently started looking at all these new videos and it looks alright as a game. Nothing really seems that interesting. It just seems like theres too much chatoic running around no matter what class you are and no precision and timing going on. you know what i mean?

Depending on what weapon another player had made a big difference. someone with a spread making a group of monsters constantly flinch making them able to attack and move less and so on to hold them back and idk... i think thats a big part of pso they missed and one of the major things that made it fun over the psu game.

kyuuketsuki
Feb 4, 2012, 03:23 PM
Nah, can't agree. I don't think Rangers standing in one spot spread needling everything in sight is what made PSO fun.

Ceresa
Feb 4, 2012, 03:30 PM
Load Grenade Shell, launch/knockdown entire groups, shoot one to restore pp while they're down, repeat.

Maybe you only watched shitty rangers? Overpowered boring as shit class in the alpha.

Stagnant
Feb 4, 2012, 03:35 PM
Nah, can't agree. I don't think Rangers standing in one spot spread needling everything in sight is what made PSO fun.

Spread needle had low atp and short range. it was useless without hell...

kyuuketsuki
Feb 4, 2012, 03:38 PM
Spread needle had low atp and short range. it was useless without hell...
Sorry, I didn't mean to say the specific Spread Needle weapon, but the spread weapon-class in general as you used it in the OP.

Yamishi
Feb 4, 2012, 03:44 PM
You can still manipulate mobs of enemies, but it is tougher. Which, if you ask me, is a good thing.

In PSO, you could just stand back (holding perfectly still, of course) and mop the floor with anything that came near you. It was definitely a power trip, but it was boring as Hell to watch. Hunters got up in enemy's faces, Forces had huge Techniques. Rangers just... stood there. This time around, it takes a bit of skill, a bit of forethought, and a bit of agility. I've always had a Ranger as my primary character, and this is the first time I felt comfortable letting other people watch me. And, I might add, this is the first time I had people watch me playing as a Ranger and go, "Wow... that game looks friggin' awesome."

Personally, I think PSO2 is better than PSO. There, I said it.

Stagnant
Feb 4, 2012, 03:52 PM
From the videos so far it looks like the monsters have a hard time chasing down rangers strafing left and right constantly running away and seems kind of boring and almost cheating, lol.

Cayenne
Feb 4, 2012, 04:00 PM
A thread about how PSO played better than PSO2 without even testing it.

A lot of us said things similar to what the OP said by only watching Alpha 1 videos and a lot of us had our minds changed after playing Alpha 2. How a game feels is COMPLETELY different from how it looks.

This won't end good...

landman
Feb 4, 2012, 04:03 PM
So far we have only seen two ranged weapons, who knows, we may end up having shotguns again which would require close combat.

xMarle
Feb 4, 2012, 04:05 PM
Rangers have range. (who knew?)

Of course they'd have a huge advantage over mobs that need to be in melee range to strike you.

They'll probably add mobs designed specifically to counter ranged users (that includes techs) in the future, just as there are mobs that can counter melee attacks.

For now ranger is easy mode, but still manages to have a unique playstyle from the other 2 classes.

I have no complaints as of right now. but ranger is my least favorite of the 3, and i managed to get all 3 to level 20. :)

Stagnant
Feb 4, 2012, 04:16 PM
So far we have only seen two ranged weapons, who knows, we may end up having shotguns again which would require close combat.

I dont understand why they released this game with hardly any weapons. itsl ike tribes ascend. the game has nothing in it yet people are playing it and they are jsut now adding like 5 weapons and those still dont add anything of value to the gameplay. makes it look like the game is a science project rather than a big budget title...

Cayenne
Feb 4, 2012, 04:27 PM
I dont understand why they released this GAME...

It's alpha, you know, to test PART of an unfinished game?

Can we close this thread now?

Anon_Fire
Feb 4, 2012, 04:31 PM
It's alpha, you know, to test PART of an unfinished game?

This x3

Serephim
Feb 4, 2012, 04:33 PM
I just recently started looking at all these new videos and it looks alright as a game. Nothing really seems that interesting. It just seems like theres too much chatoic running around no matter what class you are and no precision and timing going on. you know what i mean?

Rangers and Forces only had one weapon in this game for their class.

If the game isn't looking interesting, then it's just because you aren't playing it. Simple as that. Playing this game and watching videos of this game are two actions worlds apart, i can tell you from experience.

Rangers do pretty shitty damage unless you hit a weakpoint, which is either the head or somewhere else otherwise specified. You have 3 PA's to choose from -- a piercing shot (pretty great damage), a grenade launcher (much less than the piercing shot, but knocks down), and the full automatic fire (which can outdamage them all IF most of the shots actually hit).

You also have traps and Stun Grenades (very fun lol). And then you also have weakening bullets. When you press the button, the character loads a new round into their gun. You fire the bullet, and wherever it hits the opponent, they take extra damage there (as indicated by a targeting sign and a blue effect). This allows rangers to do SIGNIFICANT damage to enemies if they're good enough to shoot them in a spot that's already a weak point. The effect also works on team members. My experience on ranger went from boring, to okay (the moment i realized how to actually Just Attack and use the PAs correctly in a combo), to fun (when i got the grenade PA), to extremely fun (when i got the weakening bullet and later when i got the Full-Auto PA).

If every ranger weapon ends up as versatile as the Rifle, then this class will be awesome.

I dont understand why they released this game with hardly any weapons.

Once again, this is because you aren't playing the actual game. Using a sword or gunslash in this game is NOT the same as using it in the others, because there so much more you can do with a sword on this game than on PSO or PSU.

There's never been a PS game with only 4-5 weapon types in it, and they've already showed off Partisians. The weapons on PSO2 are, for the first time since PSO, are actually multi-layered in their design, from Guarding, to Switch features, to charge bars / grab bars that work differently from one another. And this is only these weapons -- we have yet to see the special features for whatever new guns / melee weapons / force weapons they put in, and that counts double for rare types like Katana/Double Saber/ Twin Saber/ Laser Cannons / ect.

Dre_o
Feb 4, 2012, 04:37 PM
If you don't like how the game looks/ functions right now:

1) Actually PLAY the game before you make any judgements about how it feels to play.
2) Allow the developers the chance to properly adjust enemy aggro/ attack range and the ranger damage/splash range.

3) If 1 and 2 aren't enough to sate you: Don't play the game, play PSO. Simple.

Dinosaur
Feb 4, 2012, 04:42 PM
Even though the game plays much different than PSO, is it still similar in many ways, including not being the most spectator friendly game. You HAVE to play the game yourself to truly appreciate.

Anon_Fire
Feb 4, 2012, 04:43 PM
You'll have to wait until the Open Beta is announced.

Serephim
Feb 4, 2012, 04:44 PM
PSO is obviously an amazing game, but even that game was boring as f-ck to watch. Same with any RPG like Final Fantasy / Skyrim / whatever.

This game may be more fun to watch than PSO, but it still is about a trillion times more fun to play. I cannot stress that enough.

soulpimpwizzurd
Feb 4, 2012, 04:44 PM
scaaandalooooous *ashley voices from recess*

this thread was born to create friction

Cayenne
Feb 4, 2012, 04:47 PM
Please stop posting in this thread. It was dead when it was created.

Stagnant
Feb 4, 2012, 04:51 PM
scaaandalooooous *ashley voices from recess*

this thread was born to create friction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WftJD8Yi0Gs

You really gonna make me derail the thread talking crap about why you'd be watching this filth? I didn't find watching videos of this game enjoyable besides saying ok theres a cave and theres a forest where are the mines and ruins and why are these monsters just as stupid as in the forest and mines in pso instead of having some character to them? im gonna play this game when it is released thank god im not playing this alpha with such little content. im a uber whore. thats why i like pso. the ubers and trading and chilling with people when i play. with the lack of content its about the lvel of all those other monster killing games.

Please stop posting in this thread. It was dead when it was created.
YOu only say that because I'm challenging the game as being garbage. which it is in alpha state. it sucks. its trash. its a party of nerds trying out the game before its ready but the state of the game is garbage. its a garbage celebration and they better stop celebrating garbage.

Rika-chan
Feb 4, 2012, 04:53 PM

It's in the alpha. Of course there is little content. It's just your opinion, too.
A lot of other people seem to enjoy the game.

Anon_Fire
Feb 4, 2012, 04:58 PM
Stagnant, why don't you just be patient and wait for the Open Beta.

Yamishi
Feb 4, 2012, 05:05 PM
YOu only say that because I'm challenging the game as being garbage. which it is in alpha state. it sucks. its trash.

I quite disagree. It was crazy amount of fun to play.

Lacking content? Sure. But lacking content isn't the same as being garbage.

What we have here is a bunch of people who have played the game alpha saying it was varying degrees of fun, and someone who hasn't saying that it sucks.

Which opinion should we put more weight on? :-?

Dongra
Feb 4, 2012, 05:08 PM
Which opinion should we put more weight on? :-?
Clearly the guy that hasn't played the game yet because the more he says it sucks the more true it is.

Stagnant
Feb 4, 2012, 05:12 PM
Let's see. All these new videos being posted on the number 1 US PSO fansite and only 40 people viewing this section. yeah, I'd say the game is a success. I'm no cod fan or starcraft fan or hell even the over glorified tribes ascend fans even though im a tribes 2 fan. its a good thing mroe retards don't like it. maybe i should like pso2. maybe i should. maybe i do. im just bitching. because i can. but i am disappointed that the monsters and levels dont look more engaging even with the stated more effort you have to put into the game above with aiming and such

Yamishi
Feb 4, 2012, 05:12 PM
Clearly the guy that hasn't played the game yet because the more he says it sucks the more true it is.

I kinda figured that's how these things work. :/

Edit:

Let's see. All these new videos being posted on the number 1 US PSO fansite and only 40 people viewing this section. yeah, I'd say the game is a success. I'm no cod fan or starcraft fan or hell even the over glorified tribes ascend fans even though im a tribes 2 fan. its a good thing mroe retards don't like it. maybe i should like pso2. maybe i should. maybe i do. im just bitching. because i can. but i am disappointed that the monsters and levels dont look more engaging even with the stated more effort you have to put into the game above with aiming and such

Surprisingly insightful for someone who I thought was just here to bash the game. :) Remember that tens of thousands of people joined the alpha, and I'm sure you're not the only person who had concerns about monster AI or levels of engagement. There's actually a thread on here designed specifically to translate and send this type of feedback to the developers.

So, while watching videos isn't the best source of information on how it plays, there's always a (rather good) chance that things will be tweaked before release. Hope to see you on the beta, giving it a try! :)

pikachief
Feb 4, 2012, 05:14 PM
lol you're ridiculous. Complaining that something that purposely has as little content as needed for a test, has too little content? Thus this test to see if the missions and classes and characters and menus and system work is garbage because it is lacking in stuff?

This alpha is better then a lot of games I played even with the small amount of content. Most games don't even do alpha, probably because people like you would call it garbage because they're only showing like 2% of a game that even that is still under testing.

One more thing. Too Fluid? How dare phantasy star attempt to have fluid combat! How dare they try to make each individual class unique and fun to play!!

Personally I played it and its not in the least bit chaotic. Everything works fine.

If you ever do anything in life I haven't please tell me so i can criticize it based on a description and pictures alone and not listen to the fact that videos =/= the experience.

Cayenne
Feb 4, 2012, 05:18 PM
I love how he's trashing this game so much, yet he's still gonna buy it.

I LOVE IT!

ShadowDragon28
Feb 4, 2012, 05:18 PM
I agree with Pikachief.

I see this thread, read the OP...

wow.. just wow.
http://intrawebnet.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/palmface.jpg

Dongra
Feb 4, 2012, 05:24 PM
but i am disappointed that the monsters and levels dont look more engaging
Mind you that at the beginning of PSO the monsters really weren't that engaging either. The Alpha pretty much looks like it is just the lowest difficulty setting for the game so it's not surprising it wouldn't be that engaging.

Stagnant
Feb 4, 2012, 05:27 PM
You all win this round. But I'll be back.

xMarle
Feb 4, 2012, 05:27 PM
Mind you that at the beginning of PSO the monsters really weren't that engaging either. The Alpha pretty much looks like it is just the lowest difficulty setting for the game so it's not surprising it wouldn't be that engaging.

It's also important to note the alpha takes place in levels 1 ~ 20.

This is newbie territory. The game should be easy at this stage. To ease new players into the gameplay before slamming them into a wall of difficulty.

Yamishi
Feb 4, 2012, 05:34 PM
You all win this round. But I'll be back.

Haha, supervillain style exit. Nice. :P

ShadowDragon28
Feb 4, 2012, 05:36 PM
FYI. It seemed like the monster's HP & defense against physical attack scaled UP as one reached higher levels. and took several combo attack to finish off...

Some monsters can and *will * kick yer ass.
Rock Bears WILL hunt you down to hammer down on you for example. Sometimes Emergency "Initiate Code" events can stack up too. Like a "Code: Attack" and Rock bears appear.. go run to another part of the forest, where other characters are and a code "Destruction" is active (with the huge orb of death and darker spiders) the Rock Bears can and DID follow me just to try to kill me. So my party had death orb sucking life from me and the ground, and two rock bears hammerig down on all 3 of us. lol. How much more f**king engaging should it be?! FFS...

Cayenne
Feb 4, 2012, 05:38 PM
I'm laughing so hard right now.

Everyone is flooding this guy with real valuable information to prove to him the game is great when he wasn't gonna change his mind in the first place.

Was I the only one that saw this?

ShadowDragon28
Feb 4, 2012, 05:41 PM
Yeah I am pretty sure this guy was/is trollin'. But I'm half asleep and i dont care. meh.

Ezodagrom
Feb 4, 2012, 06:26 PM
You really gonna make me derail the thread talking crap about why you'd be watching this filth? I didn't find watching videos of this game enjoyable besides saying ok theres a cave and theres a forest where are the mines and ruins and why are these monsters just as stupid as in the forest and mines in pso instead of having some character to them? im gonna play this game when it is released thank god im not playing this alpha with such little content. im a uber whore. thats why i like pso. the ubers and trading and chilling with people when i play. with the lack of content its about the lvel of all those other monster killing games.

YOu only say that because I'm challenging the game as being garbage. which it is in alpha state. it sucks. its trash. its a party of nerds trying out the game before its ready but the state of the game is garbage. its a garbage celebration and they better stop celebrating garbage.
Of course the game doesn't have much content now, do you even know what an alpha version is? It's an early unfinished version of a game, usually developers don't even allow players to try alpha versions of games, usually those are just tested internally.

Angelo
Feb 4, 2012, 06:36 PM
No.

However I do think that there needs to be more 'playstyles' with the Ranger. It's pretty concerning that there is only one weapon available to them and that there are specific skills in their tree that can only be used with that weapon (Assault Rifle).

Shakuri
Feb 4, 2012, 06:44 PM
I love how the OP went from saying it looked alright to now saying its garbage.

Should have least been subtle about this, brotato.

Dhylec
Feb 4, 2012, 08:01 PM
This round is now over! Take a break people.
See ya in round 2!