PDA

View Full Version : About enemy respawn

SELENNA
Feb 8, 2012, 10:06 PM
Am I the only one actually against monster respawning? It defeats the whole purpose of clearing a map. As the whole game is made of randomly generated maps I really don't see the point of having respawns. I'd like to read your opinion on this matter. Thanks

Mike
Feb 8, 2012, 10:14 PM
More exp, more chances at item drops, and more fun in MPAs doesn't really sound like a bad idea to me.

youcantcatchtheblue
Feb 8, 2012, 10:18 PM
Listening to one of the videos that Producer Sakai & Notto Arisa did (at the end of the 2nd one I think), it sounded like enemies ony re-spawn in "Free Quests" but not in normal quests.

I can't confirm since Alpha is over now, but does anyone know whether this is true or not?

Serephim
Feb 8, 2012, 10:19 PM
Am I the only one actually against monster respawning? It defeats the whole purpose of clearing a map. As the whole game is made of randomly generated maps I really don't see the point of having respawns. I'd like to read your opinion on this matter. Thanks

I personally loved it. I dont really have an issue with it, especially since you can definitely just run past them half the time. The only time you're really forced to do a room is if an event pops up, which doesn't happen in rooms you've completed.

Vashyron
Feb 8, 2012, 10:58 PM
Listening to one of the videos that Producer Sakai & Notto Arisa did (at the end of the 2nd one I think), it sounded like enemies ony re-spawn in "Free Quests" but not in normal quests.

I can't confirm since Alpha is over now, but does anyone know whether this is true or not?

They respawned everywhere.

I liked it. In fact it felt that the journey was meant to be rewarding rather than the end, because you currently can run trough everything barring a random event right to the end, but there is no point unless a boss is there. (And that is if they end up having exclusive drops.)

Besides monsters, random Code events also can reappear where you have already been, saw this happen to myself personally a couple of times.

moorebounce
Feb 8, 2012, 11:02 PM

This is from "The PSO2 Info Thread"

"Bonuses from a PSE burst last for one minute and include even higher drop rates and highly increased number of enemies that appear.
-You can extend the PSE burst's duration by killing more and more enemies."

youcantcatchtheblue
Feb 8, 2012, 11:15 PM
They respawned everywhere.

So what is the difference between a "Free Quest" and a normal quest then?

In the video they said that in a Free Quest you can go on forever and it was because enemies re-spawn in Free Quests... :-?

krux
Feb 8, 2012, 11:48 PM
Well first off you can run passed the enemies but they will follow you and after a while there will be a group of them on you and if your by your self it can be bad so that's kinda cool...but i loved to kill the crap out of a run and if i would end up staying in the room i would run back thru the rooms like ya....i did this...MWUWhahahaha

Mike
Feb 8, 2012, 11:53 PM
So what is the difference between a "Free Quest" and a normal quest then?

In the video they said that in a Free Quest you can go on forever and it was because enemies re-spawn in Free Quests... :-?
Originally, Free Quests were missions that didn't have an end. The final area would be a large MPA where the Vol Dragon or Rockbears or whatever "boss" enemy would spawn. Arks Quests were your standard quest with a boss at the end. This was changed after the first alpha because the testers didn't like it. So the two different types of missions really aren't too different.

SELENNA
Feb 9, 2012, 12:01 AM
I dunno, rather than respawns I'd go with a bonus for 100 % clearing a dungeon = a chance at unique drops. I wasn't in the beta so I can't really tell, but one thing I hate in MMOs, for example World of Warcraft, is the lack of a sense of achievement when you're in a level. Maybe I'm a purist, but the way it was in PSO and PSU was fine, so why change it? I guess I'm in the minority if beta players didn't like free quests vs. normal quests. I just don't see the point - it will just be easier to farm items than ever unless the % are ridiculous low. I mean if they keep respawning, you won't even have to change map until you have all the items you want. For that matter, why even bother with an objective? Just kill everything, rince and repeat without changing level.

:(

Dinosaur
Feb 9, 2012, 12:42 AM
I dunno, rather than respawns I'd go with a bonus for 100 % clearing a dungeon = a chance at unique drops. I wasn't in the beta so I can't really tell, but one thing I hate in MMOs, for example World of Warcraft, is the lack of a sense of achievement when you're in a level. Maybe I'm a purist, but the way it was in PSO and PSU was fine, so why change it? I guess I'm in the minority if beta players didn't like free quests vs. normal quests. I just don't see the point - it will just be easier to farm items than ever unless the % are ridiculous low. I mean if they keep respawning, you won't even have to change map until you have all the items you want. For that matter, why even bother with an objective? Just kill everything, rince and repeat without changing level.

That is the beauty of the game flow. You are given the choice to jump in a free roam area or complete missions. It is spiritually similar to how PSO1 worked. If it was solely mission based, then we would have the same problem that you addressed except with people doing the same mission over and over again(ala PSU).

Anon_Fire
Feb 9, 2012, 12:54 AM
That is the beauty of the game flow. You are given the choice to jump in a free roam area or complete missions. It is spiritually similar to how PSO1 worked.

And it makes parties last longer.

NoiseHERO
Feb 9, 2012, 01:09 AM
Yeah I like the ability to just sit in one area killing away at monsters as much as you want...

Than running through one mission OVER AND OVER AND OVER, until you can get through all the traps and minibosses with your eyes closed JUST for that one drop you wanted.

Where now you can just stay in the mission as long as you want.

It would also replace sitting in the lobby for 4534535 hours doing nothing on your leisure time. But now just being able to kill monsters with your bros as well.

Mike
Feb 9, 2012, 01:21 AM
Traps respawn along with enemies.

NoiseHERO
Feb 9, 2012, 01:32 AM
If that was to clarify something I said. Yeah was mostly going on about mission in PSU and I guess PSO. Where the same traps would be in the same places, and you could slip through them like a spy while halfasleep after your 10th time running that mission...

Traps respawning too makes things more interesting as well...

But now I'm extra curious what kind of "stages" or areas there are going to be, if we'll be exploring/grinding in em for hours.

AzureBlaze
Feb 9, 2012, 02:59 AM
Hopefully we get both kinds of missions.
I was on "kill the X" type missions which they said respawns won't happen on, but they seemed to do it anyway. We got lost multiple times because you couldn't rely on "no monsters = cleared area" (drops vanish if you get far enuff away) until we figured out how to use the map better. (rectangle map, not circle map)

I THINK boxes also respawn, which is kind of odd...
It also messes up your sense of 'been here or not???' because there were some things we swear we hit, like obvious boxes (which we always broke) but then returned & it's there again?

For that horrid ball of sticks (that tentacle enemy absorbing dark ball o' crud)
We actually ended up "engaging hooligan mode" and making a bee line for the "Boss" while shoulder-checking enemies out of the way. (calling it hooligan mode because that's totally what you're NOT supposed to do)
It spawned like 3 times in the WORST spots or with bad spawns/we were underleveled for it so we were sick of slogging thru the same monsters for XX minutes just to get to it, have it "cheat" & kill us.

Ball of sticks + code destruction at the same time
Ball of sticks + mega spawn of piggy crayfish rollers
Ball of sticks + tiny hallway area & code protection at the same time

The odds were stacked against us each time, so we simply got tired of getting to it the normal way.

The solution:
Make SOME quests where you do clear out everything & get that satisfying "All Clear Grade S" like you got in other PSO's U's
Make SOME have respawns so all can chill and do whatever they want. I agree that "mop up all monsters" like what PSU had in EVERY mission did get monotonous

Vashyron
Feb 9, 2012, 05:38 AM
Boxes do respawn, so do traps and switches.

I hardly had a problem with knowing if I've been to an area or not, the bigger map (Push M) fills in areas as you go to them so it's pretty clear. The smaller map seemed pretty useless compared, to me at least.
(Only points I found it useful is to pin point better where the Dragon or Kyatadoran was going to come out of the ground.)

I'm also guessing you went to Free Forest when it opens up at lower level? Block starts out with low level monsters, but then you can get Lv 15 guys later on. If so, do something else and level up for it then come back? I don't really see what else you could of been "under leveled" for.

(Also Code Destruction is for the "ball of sticks")

DoubleCannon
Feb 9, 2012, 10:42 AM
Is it not called Free Field now and not free quest? basically point is just like in pso you could just pick an area and run it, quest free but thing that sucked was it was always predictable.. NOW you can do free field and its never the same! Random events, pse bursts that just create F***** chaos.. random maps, respawns. Oh yeah I like that alot. Before all i asked for was for free fields and for it to be random spawns like challenge mode was. seems my message to sega got to them when I wrote this like 1 and a half years ago? lol.

For anyone thinking this wont come to US.. honestly that wont be the case.. this game is way to big of a game to keep from all the loyal fans here. I know they know this. I have no worries.. It will come here :D

SELENNA
Feb 9, 2012, 11:27 AM
I can't wait to read the feedback from beta and Sakai's comment on this design choice. Hopefully they go both ways (free and normal quests) and don't shove this new way of playing down our throats. Give us choices.

DoubleCannon
Feb 9, 2012, 11:46 AM
I can't wait to read the feedback from beta and Sakai's comment on this design choice. Hopefully they go both ways (free and normal quests) and don't shove this new way of playing down our throats. Give us choices.

I am dying for this info! I want to see a feedback thing like last alpha!

moorebounce
Feb 9, 2012, 01:11 PM

:(

I think they may adjust the drop rates if they go with never ending spawns. At least I hope they do. How else will you get people to actually play the whole game?

SELENNA
Feb 9, 2012, 01:51 PM
I think they may adjust the drop rates if they go with never ending spawns. At least I hope they do. How else will you get people to actually play the whole game?

Well you could argue people will play the whole game solely for the different spawns in other levels.

landman
Feb 9, 2012, 02:00 PM
I love it, specially because it "kills" the "clearing the map" thing.

Hivernia
Feb 9, 2012, 02:26 PM
I like it better this way too, you get more chance to have a PSE burst.
When you get into a dead end too, it feels really boring to just 'walk back' to the right path, now you can have mob/code in the way.

If you don't like it you can just run to the next area (you do get a 'clear' screen after defeating the boss in free field if I remember correctly)

Also, MPA would really suck without respawn as you can join a party already clearing the map (that would look like a ghost area).

But if you really like to clear map, maybe another Game mode replacing time attack where you clear all the map would be interesting ? (since now, running to the end of the map and defeating the boss is pointless without the need to defeat every enemy to open doors)

kyuuketsuki
Feb 9, 2012, 05:30 PM
[...] (since now, running to the end of the map and defeating the boss is pointless without the need to defeat every enemy to open doors)
That actually brings up a good point I hadn't considered. People can easily bee-line for the boss of a mission without actually fighting any regular mobs since there's no doors or other obstacles that require clearing a "room" or anything, unless you happen to run into a Code: Elimination that puts up walls. I'm not sure if I like that... could lead to too much rushing and bypassing of content. Nothing I hate more than joining a party to find they're just bum-rushing too the end and want to bypass most of the map, let alone everything.

NoiseHERO
Feb 9, 2012, 05:36 PM
That actually brings up a good point I hadn't considered. People can easily bee-line for the boss of a mission without actually fighting any regular mobs since there's no doors or other obstacles that require clearing a "room" or anything, unless you happen to run into a Code: Elimination that puts up walls. I'm not sure if I like that... could lead to too much rushing and bypassing of content. Nothing I hate more than joining a party to find they're just bum-rushing too the end and want to bypass most of the map, let alone everything.

Well even with that in mind.

There will be people that just wanna grind, and people that just wanna do the boss.

So it's kind of a neutral situation. But it'll be annoying when you want to grind, or just do a boss, and the people in the map are trying to do vice versa. Guess that's where playing with your friends/looking for people that wanna play the way you do comes in.

Though I DO hope it doesn't become an epidemic...

A White Beast Towards the Future one...

Omega-z
Feb 9, 2012, 09:20 PM
SELENNA it was Alpha 2 not Beta. But yeah to the response to that question of B-lining it to the boss. Well you can but it comes with disadvantage, you won't be able to get the burst's to get more better drops, boxes with better drops , Exp, better Measta, when Solo'd having the Gang Banged problem, being to weak unless OP to start with, not very fun, Hurts your neck because of the Camera problem with monster. To get what in exchange? the next mission, Ok end points, Not much better Boss drop if you get lucky with lower %. Sega Discourages this and wants more Team-oriented Exploration. From what I've seen and done in Test's is yes you can B-line but with the lose of anything you get form the mission to the point you have to go back to grind it latter so you can find the items..etc you by pass the first time.

Fenn777
Feb 9, 2012, 09:30 PM
I know video games aren't necessarily supposed to be realistic but...if I walk into a jungle, and kill a few hostile animals, it's not like the rest will just stop disappearing. I didn't play the alpha, but I'd expect the areas to feel more alive when creatues are always popping up.

moorebounce
Feb 11, 2012, 09:12 AM
The only way you could make it okay to have respawns is if they lower the exp to some really low amount. That way people won't waste all their time trying to level up that way.

NoiseHERO
Feb 11, 2012, 09:40 AM
The only way you could make it okay to have respawns is if they lower the exp to some really low amount. That way people won't waste all their time trying to level up that way.

With this system and the enemies levels changing within the area, this is actually a step UP from just... spamming that ONE mission with the most EXP and rares like PSO and PSU.

So yeah nerfing this would basically bring back the Towards the Future and White beast syndrome...

I'd rather sit in the forest for 5 hours and grind to level 25 or getting whatever rare, killing monsters on a refreshing field... Instead of doing ONE video game stage/scenario over and over and over again until my eyes bleed.

There SHOULD however... be actual benefits from doing the actual quests and missions, compared to just moshing in the field. But yeah... infinite field > doing the same mission over hundreds of times a day interms of rare-hunting or end game grinding.

DoubleCannon
Feb 11, 2012, 10:51 AM
With this system and the enemies levels changing within the area, this is actually a step UP from just... spamming that ONE mission with the most EXP and rares like PSO and PSU.

So yeah nerfing this would basically bring back the Towards the Future and White beast syndrome...

I'd rather sit in the forest for 5 hours and grind to level 25 or getting whatever rare, killing monsters on a refreshing field... Instead of doing ONE video game stage/scenario over and over and over again until my eyes bleed.

There SHOULD however... be actual benefits from doing the actual quests and missions, compared to just moshing in the field. But yeah... infinite field > doing the same mission over hundreds of times a day interms of rare-hunting or end game grinding.

You speak of enemies levels changing, could you please clarify this for me since it is something I have been wondering. Are you speaking of Monster A can be level 6 and monster B can be like level 8 yet they are the same monster? Or do the levels of mobs change aka. Mob one has X Rappies, X Wolves all level 5.. run a bit and new mob pops up and Rappies and wolves again lets just say but this time they are level 7? Am I on the right track here? lol

NoiseHERO
Feb 11, 2012, 10:58 AM
You speak of enemies levels changing, could you please clarify this for me since it is something I have been wondering. Are you speaking of Monster A can be level 6 and monster B can be like level 8 yet they are the same monster? Or do the levels of mobs change aka. Mob one has X Rappies, X Wolves all level 5.. run a bit and new mob pops up and Rappies and wolves again lets just say but this time they are level 7? Am I on the right track here? lol

I heard someone say the monsters levels get a little higher deeper into the area?

Like you enter and everything is level 5 go deeper in and you're seeing level 10 monsters around the boss area or something... I guess that is a good example? I didn't play the alpha.

DoubleCannon
Feb 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
Ah okay. Well I like this. anything to give this game more variety is a + for me. especially when monsters will get special buffs to make them more unique and even a size difference that can make them harder to kill. Though correct me if I'm wrong lol

Omega-z
Feb 11, 2012, 11:48 AM
Rock Eastwood I can confirm this (open field) that monster in the first area are like level 5 with wimpy aggression and are made up of the two monkey's, both wolves and bird. now and then some lightning when it rain's hard with some CODEs. But then Second area is much harder the enemy Level goes up to 10+ and the monsters are more aggressive and can gang up on you especially the wolves ( you see it more in Solo play ) there more monsters the darker's and the gaint rollie pollie. There's more raining and much more lightning and the river's can mess with you while the fight and the CODEs happen a whole lot more often. Then when you get to the boss it's Lv. 15+ and it's a fun fight too. and that could be only C Rank mode lol.

DoubleCannon
Feb 12, 2012, 11:30 AM
Speaking of Modes I really hope they make it go C, B, A, S, SS, U (For Ultimate!) Yeah lol

Serephim
Feb 12, 2012, 01:08 PM
If you're in a multiparty area and there's a higher level in your party, the enemies will scale.

it can catch you off-guard and completely wreck your sh*t if you arent careful, but for the most part its pretty awesome because of how fast you can get experience.

moorebounce
Feb 12, 2012, 01:36 PM

In principal it would be the same as PSO1 and PSU but you would have ramdomly generating maps where you didn't in the others. If you going to have endless spawning then the first spawns should be the only kills that count against the drop percentage. It could be a combination of first spawns and lower exp the longer you stay on a map.

Serephim
Feb 12, 2012, 01:51 PM
as long as general rewards can't be easily determined from playing a mission, then mission farming wont return.

Outside of general level tier (like Ruins > Forest in terms of EXP), i think that works best.

SELENNA
Feb 12, 2012, 04:21 PM
Well I hope we will see more traditional dungeons. I'm fine with open-ended missions but why not have a couple of instances where you need to clean a room to progress, get a keycard, etc. Something like Train from PSU but bigger, or the Temple area in EP II (lol).

lostinseganet
Feb 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
I think to solve the problem is to have level and respawn fatigue. In all games eventually the players all find the best spot to get XP and just spam it! If they made it so if you played a level over and over again you would get less and less xp it would get players to play more variety of maps. Yet if you just love that level you can play until you faint.

shiink
Feb 12, 2012, 05:22 PM
Well I hope we will see more traditional dungeons. I'm fine with open-ended missions but why not have a couple of instances where you need to clean a room to progress, get a keycard, etc. Something like Train from PSU but bigger, or the Temple area in EP II (lol).

I think that was the initial purpose for the "Arkz Quests" which for whatever reason the testers didn't like in the first alpha (which I wasn't in). Honestly I could tell very little difference from the two quest times in the second. I really hope the Arkz side gets re-elaborated and we could have some more puzzling or goal oriented thing instead of just monster massacre if one so chooses </2cents>

moorebounce
Feb 12, 2012, 09:59 PM
I think to solve the problem is to have level and respawn fatigue. In all games eventually the players all find the best spot to get XP and just spam it! If they made it so if you played a level over and over again you would get less and less xp it would get players to play more variety of maps. Yet if you just love that level you can play until you faint.

I would throw in the lower rare item drop percentage too. Just for good measure. That combination would keep players from finding the new "Towards The Future" and "Respective Tomorrow" quests for PSO2.

SilverFoxR
Feb 12, 2012, 10:01 PM
I like the idea of respawning enemies.

For one, it makes the game feel more realistic. Just because you cleared an area of the visible enemies doesn't mean there aren't more hiding in the bushes or stumble their way to the battlefield at any given time.

Also, if the game is going to allow for dynamic changes mid-play such as sudden quests, it would be really stupid to suddenly have a quest begin, have you backtrack to grab an item or kill a quest-spawned enemy and walk back with no challenge whatsoever. It'd be quite boring, in fact.

Picture, if you will... you and three friends are running through an area. You get to the final zone right before the "boss door" and suddenly, you hear someone say "Hey, you! Come here!". Your team notices a RaCast hiding behind a rock. He explains that the reason he's hiding is because his energy is low and he's barely able to move. He has an emergency battery for this kind of situation, but it seems that he lost it somewhere while he was searching for treasure. In his desperation, he agrees to give you some of the treasure he's found while exploring.

Now, let's say the battery is somewhat near the beginning of the area a room or two from where you piped down... what would you rather do:

1) Backtrack to find the battery, pick it up and run back.
2) Fight your way to the battery and back.

I'd rather take option 2 - if I'm going to do the quest, I don't want to simply walk through the scenery I already went past, then do it again. I'd rather be ambushed and get into fights on the way... after all, isn't the point of an action RPG the fact that there's ACTION in it?

SELENNA
Feb 12, 2012, 11:41 PM
What you described could be achieved with a set of scripted events

NoiseHERO
Feb 13, 2012, 12:10 AM
The other biggest reason I like this, is because it kind of fufills that open world feeling that some people have been wanting after playing this game.

But it does it in a way that's better than PSU's series of connected lobbies. (Which is why I stopped complaining that they took that out.)

Especially considering the multiparty stuff.