PDA

View Full Version : RIP WHITNEY HOUSTON. you will be missed.

Ryno
Feb 11, 2012, 08:29 PM
http://www.myfoxphilly.com/dpp/news/local_news/whitney-houston-dead-at-48021112

LOS ANGELES - Whitney Houston, who ruled as pop music's queen until her majestic voice and regal image were ravaged by drug use, erratic behavior and a tumultuous marriage to singer Bobby Brown, has died. She was 48.

Houston's publicist, Kristen Foster, said Saturday that the singer had died, but the cause and the location of her death were unknown.

News of Houston's death came on the eve of music's biggest night -- the Grammy Awards. It's a showcase where she once reigned, and her death was sure to case a heavy pall on Sunday's ceremony. Houston's longtime mentor Clive Davis was to hold his annual concert and dinner Saturday; it was unclear if it was going to go forward.

made me think of this song now...

memories

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lByl1YOQBU4&feature=fvst

Shadowpawn
Feb 11, 2012, 08:48 PM
It's just crazy man. I can't believe she's dead so soon.

NoiseHERO
Feb 11, 2012, 08:50 PM
Wow that's terrible 48 is too young.

Ryno
Feb 11, 2012, 09:00 PM
i know right. all these excellent above and beyond legend singers like Micheal Jackson die early. becuase of a reason.

Crysteon
Feb 11, 2012, 09:10 PM
Wow....I didnt really see this one coming.... :(

Mantiskilla
Feb 11, 2012, 09:49 PM
Yeah absolutely crazy. The bad part in all this is that the first thing in everyone's mind is that she OD'ed. We don't know for sure but we'll have to wait and see

BIG OLAF
Feb 11, 2012, 10:18 PM
She's not the only person that died today, you know. And every day. But no one gives a dick unless you're famous.

Sinue_v2
Feb 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
She's not the only person that died today, you know. And every day. But no one gives a dick unless you're famous.

Yeah, but only a handful of people know you or I exist. That's the way it is for most people. But celebrities are known by millions (or billions) of people through their work. That's why their deaths are newsworthy, while ours aren't. We're just not relevant to the masses of humanity.

But if it makes you feel better, everybody finds obscurity in death. Celebrities just take a few weeks or decades longer to fade from public memory.

Leviathan
Feb 11, 2012, 10:31 PM
RIP great talent.

CelestialBlade
Feb 11, 2012, 10:37 PM
Way too young. RIP to one of the greatest voices of our time.

Serephim
Feb 12, 2012, 12:59 PM
Holy Fuck dude, are you serious? Another one?

God damn.

Well, now that she's dead, maybe people can forget about her current screwups and remember what an amazing plasma antimatter sonic pulse engine she had raging in her vocal chords back in the day.

Seriously, my jaw hit the floor.

but to be completely honest....im not really surprised that she's dead, only that she died. If that makes any sense. It was only a matter of time before she caught up with herself.

Powder Keg
Feb 12, 2012, 08:39 PM
Best one ever done:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS4v431Mlak&feature=fvst

Keilyn
Feb 13, 2012, 03:13 AM
That really pissed me off.

I will explain.

Saturday I was at the Intercollegiate Choral Festival and we were performing music since I am member of the Chamber Singers to one of the colleges involved.

The idea was for each chorus or chamber singers to perform one or two pieces for everyone. Afterwards we would all combine and sing two pieces together.

Well after we were done with our individual pieces, there were these two women who were running like if disaster struck....

Running across the hallways to each room saying "Whitney Houston is dead" and some perceived it as "Of course she's dead, her career died years ago" attitude. We didn't know if they were joking, pranking or doing something because the two who were running around everywhere were a good Alto/Soprano pair or so....

So everyone takes it to heart with confusion. I walk around and say "They are saying Whitney is dead, but how can that be? I would expect someone else, but her!? How does that happen?" and they started checking their smartphone and tablet PCs during the intermission.

Turned out to be true and we were shocked at the whole thing.

A Singer like her dying at the day when many choral festivals were going on simultaneously.

We were like "What the hell!......Save singer death for another day!"

And the Irony of all of this is that the song our group performed was called "Come, Sweet Death!"

Serephim
Feb 20, 2012, 04:41 AM
Running across the hallways to each room saying "Whitney Houston is dead" and some perceived it as "Of course she's dead, her career died years ago" attitude.

This happened to me with Michael Jackson too.

Took a while for me to believe it, so i turned my TV to an entertainment station, and sure enough, Michael Jackson music videos were playing.

To this day, it is astounding to me just how ridiculously quick that man's death spread across the internet. Within 2 hours, the whole planet knew.

Sayara
Feb 20, 2012, 06:52 AM
That is (or so we're told) the true power of internet communications, when done correctly amazing things can happen.
RIP miss Houston

NoiseHERO
Feb 20, 2012, 10:44 AM
Not to be a dick, but is going to be one of those internet hot topic things that everyone claims to take seriously, but then after a month or a couple of weeks we all jump on to the next thing?

Like a few weeks ago it was all "STOP SOPA!"

and how long have people been talking about Japan's earthquake?

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO "BP"?!

Ark22
Feb 21, 2012, 12:59 AM
Just like any celeb death everybody becomes a huge fan, not trying to sound hipster or anything.

http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/31/willywonkaonnewwhitneyh.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/339/willywonkaonnewwhitneyh.jpg/)

Serephim
Feb 21, 2012, 04:32 AM
Whitney Houston had, like, the best voice of her generation. If not the best, she's about as close to the best as you can get. (have fun finding someone better though)

I could see if it was some celeberity like Kim Kardashan, but that wonka.jpg really doesn't apply here. She actually...you know, achieved things. So basically, like her or not, she gets her due respect regardless. It really doesn't matter whether some people get tired of it.

I mean seriously scroll up and click the youtube video. There isn't a human on this planet alive who can do something like that today.

People will stop talking about it once it stops being a hot topic. I mean it isn't like they're just gonna keep talking about it forever.

I mean there are only so many times you can talk about Japan's ridiculous compounded catastrophies, or the Twin Towers, or the BP oil spill or the death of steve jobs or any other culturally important icon before people stop caring. Unless it was your dad, or your country, or yourself personally affected, you can only care so much. So people will stop talking about it when it's time to stop talking about it. People stopped talking about SOPA because it is no longer an immediate threat.

Thinking about it, Whitney Houston's death isn't as tragic because 1) she probably brought this on herself and 2) she hasn't been able to even remotely sing for years now, but it's symbolic in the sense that it's basically her generation of music dying off. If she could actually still SING then this would technically be like, the equilivent of Stevie Wonder dying or something. Which, by the way, will undoubtedly be just as public.

Edit:

I took my own advice and actually clicked that link, since i havent heard it in like 10 years.

holy jesus.

Keilyn
Feb 23, 2012, 11:34 PM
To be more specific about Whitney.

Whitney started out as an Alto. She got her voice trained well and then developed a wide range. One reason she was loved was because she made a mark in an industry that was dominated by High Tenors and Sopranos.

Explained below:

There are four basic vocal ranges. They pertain to the left and right sides of the keyboard/Piano. Men tend to own the lower half of the Piano. Basses and Tenors are males, Altos and Sopranos are mostly female. Below are responsibilities when singing together.

Bass: Their goal is to create the foundation. They are the most important. They keep the other three groups to the key of the song. They give the focus everyone else needs to succeed. If they fail, the ENTIRE group fails and its instantly noticed.

Tenors: Tenors sing higher than basses and can sometimes entire the alto range. Their role is to add or contrast the bass or support the alto by being the below them. They are "in between" voices and create texture and harmony in music.

Altos: Altos are considered "The lower female voice" and some Altos can go lower to the Tenor Range. While Tenors support the Bass, Altos tend to support the sopranos, but like the Tenors, they are Sandwhiched between parts. Their voices are more fluid.

Sopranos: These are the "high female voice" and are known as carrying the melody of a piece. When people talk of Angels or heavens, sopranos will be used for that. Due to them being the top voice, there are several types of sopranos. Coloratura being the "Elite of the Elite" and turning your voice on the same level of metal player note shredding and flute speed.

Whitney had the Full Alto Range along with Some of the Tenor and Soprano Range, capable of Opera Singing, which is by far the most difficult of things.

My vocal range is the Upper Bass, Full Tenor, Full Alto, Bottom Soprano.

A woman who can sing low is as loved as a man who can sing very high. They are rare, sought after and protected.

Whitney will be missed. She opened up many to the power of Alto voices and thanks to her, many Altos are finding musical careers without being put down for not being sopranos.

Serephim
Feb 24, 2012, 01:10 AM
I love Toni Braxton

Keilyn
Feb 24, 2012, 03:32 AM
I love Toni Braxton

Contra Alto, Has been known to hit A2 and go as high as B5 and C6. Contra-voice types do better in groups than Solo-Singing. Their purpose is to blend between voices and even apply counterpoint (Which is where the Contra part comes from)

"Against" in this case means "point to point" counter. Example would be that you sing in the middle of my range, and I get to choose if I am going to form the line above you or below you. Together it forms two different melodies that combines work out in the same song.

Example of this in Piano/Keyboard music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvHokjQ6enI

Serephim
Feb 24, 2012, 04:38 AM
what are you talking about Keilyn

Keilyn
Feb 24, 2012, 04:52 AM
Braxton's Vocal Range and Voice Type.

Aside from the "basic voices" there are also "voice types" which are special and rare. Braxton's Voice type is actually uncommon, but has several uses. The letters + numbers together point to pitch and range.

Slidikins
Feb 24, 2012, 09:28 AM
Not to be a dick, but is going to be one of those internet hot topic things that everyone claims to take seriously, but then after a month or a couple of weeks we all jump on to the next thing?

Like a few weeks ago it was all "STOP SOPA!"

and how long have people been talking about Japan's earthquake?

WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO "BP"?!I'm convinced that when the media latches onto something, it's to draw attention from something terribly wrong that the government (and media) want under the rug. Whitney Houston's death caused such an uproar that I'm positive we lost another basic right or something.