PDA

View Full Version : The big discussion on a regional release thread (English/NA/EU/worldwide version)

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nave
Feb 17, 2012, 01:16 PM
Mod edit: "This thread will serve as the master thread for discussion and upcoming news on a translated/regional version of PSO2"

Is this going to be another Monster Hunter Frontier or are we actually going to see a North American release?

NoiseHERO
Feb 17, 2012, 01:27 PM
Just read the manga-

I mean everyone's gonna be playin' dat JP version anyway.

Nave
Feb 17, 2012, 02:10 PM
Is 'just read the manga' a turn of phrase used by otakus?

My question is whether or not SEGA will be localizing the game for a North American release.

NoiseHERO
Feb 17, 2012, 02:36 PM
No it was a joke, from some Anime that not enough people have seen. Basically saying "If you want to know all the important stuff, just read the manga"

In this case I'm saying Why wait for the Anime to come out(American release)

When you can just read da manga! (JP release)

Then realize it's not much worse, or you'll even like it better. (Manga is in black and white yet most of em still end up better than their anime counter parts = Playing a game in Japanese might be better since you get to play first and get all the content first and the developers actually care about your existence.)

But okay, no ones gonna be able to translate all that from "just read the manga" so I'll let you off. But if you ever call me an Otaku ever again, I'll rip off your balls and glue it to your chin through your cheap-ass monitor. D<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

kyuuketsuki
Feb 17, 2012, 02:43 PM
The game isn't even in beta yet. I don't think it's appropriate to get up in arms that they haven't announced a North American/European release for a Japanese game not yet in beta (with not even a speculative JP release date, no less).

Considering that the PSO-series has seen NA releases of even titles like Phantasy Star Zero for the DS, I find the likelihood of them doing a major release like PSO2 and not releasing it outside of Japan pretty small (not to mention it's PC-only, and PC gaming is much bigger in the NA/EU markets than it is in Japan). The only real questions are when, will there be unified JP/NA/EU servers, and, if there aren't unified servers, will the non-JP playerbase get screwed on events and content updates.

Nave
Feb 17, 2012, 02:44 PM
I already played Monster Hunter in japanese, I'm really not interested in doing that again. I feel like after four hundred hours, I did my time, and I think I know whether or not I'd like to read English, or read Japanese.

I don't know why it's so hard for them to come out and say if it's being localized or not. All of this hush hush attitude of theirs makes me feel as though it isn't being localized, because if it was going to be then they would have no reason not to tell us.

Dre_o
Feb 17, 2012, 02:52 PM
Everything indicates that they are going to release it internationally. Just wait patiently.

Mag-X
Feb 17, 2012, 03:40 PM
I don't know why it's so hard for them to come out and say if it's being localized or not. All of this hush hush attitude of theirs makes me feel as though it isn't being localized, because if it was going to be then they would have no reason not to tell us.

They aren't being hush hush. They haven't even announced a release date for it in Japan yet. If they hadn't done the alpha test/publicity stunt, we probably wouldn't even know anything about it other than the fact that they were working on it.

There is a language option in the settings menu, so I don't think they would put that there if they didn't plan on releasing it outside of Japan.

I wouldn't surprised if they don't talk about a western release date until after the Japanese version is fully up and running.

HandOfThornz
Feb 17, 2012, 04:46 PM
All thats been stated is release in 2012. (originally it was going to be christmas 2011 in Japan)
I think we will hear of a western release soon probably around E3 (June 5-7)
Take a read of the data mining thread, a couple of people have mentioned that there are localisation keys in the data of the ALPHA 1+2 code pointing at UK, USA,DE(German), FR (French),etc...
Im 100% sure we will see a western release (it makes profit sense), its just a matter of will it be released the same time as Japan.
Also its worth thinking about if the western server will be the same as the japanese server, knowing the history of PSU split servers, it maybe best to go JP version if so?
I reckon release will be around around autumn for Japan and hopefully globally, depending on BETA closed and open testing results.

SilverFoxR
Feb 18, 2012, 12:26 AM
Well, apparently this is Phantasy Star's 25th anniversary along with Megaman (go figure), so it's likely Sega will make this a worldwide launch somehow.

The only thing I'm worried about is how they plan on doing account/subscriptions. Will they go the way more MMORPGs are lately and going free to play (other than buying the game itself) or will they do a traditional monthly fee setup.

Simply put, if they go with a monthly fee, I'm gonna likely duck out of this as much as I've been waiting for it. I've never liked the idea of paying for something I bought already and it'd be a real turn-off to see PSO2 do that.

I'm honestly hoping towards a F2P formula with maybe a couple of special micro-transactions like special armours or something (so long as it's not necissary to gameplay or game-breaking to those who cannot or would rather not do real-money transactions).

kyuuketsuki
Feb 18, 2012, 11:27 AM
Not to start this topic up again, but I'd much, much, much rather pay ~$10 a month than deal with the crap F2P model. You're not paying extra for something you already own, you're paying for server upkeep and the ongoing costs of providing continuing player support and content updates. It's really quite reasonable. How hard is it to fit what is now about the cost of a fast food meal into your monthly budget.

Also, PSO/PSU has always been a P2P franchise. I'm not sure how it'd suddenly be a "turn-off" for it to continue to be so.

Nitro Vordex
Feb 18, 2012, 11:42 AM
Simply put, if they go with a monthly fee, I'm gonna likely duck out of this as much as I've been waiting for it. I've never liked the idea of paying for something I bought already and it'd be a real turn-off to see PSO2 do that.

I'm honestly hoping towards a F2P formula with maybe a couple of special micro-transactions like special armours or something (so long as it's not necissary to gameplay or game-breaking to those who cannot or would rather not do real-money transactions).
The thing is, if this is a PC only game, there's a very good chance that they'll do a download only way of distributing the game, but also give the choice of buying the disc on it's own. If you have to buy the disc, oh well. If you download it, then you should be fine. I don't think they'll make the mistake of having it on a disc only, that would be rather counter productive to them in the long run.

Enforcer MKV
Feb 18, 2012, 03:22 PM
Is this going to be another Monster Hunter Frontier or are we actually going to see a North American release?

As has been previously stated, no specific release date has been given for any version of the game.

Well, apparently this is Phantasy Star's 25th anniversary along with Megaman (go figure), so it's likely Sega will make this a worldwide launch somehow.

The only thing I'm worried about is how they plan on doing account/subscriptions. Will they go the way more MMORPGs are lately and going free to play (other than buying the game itself) or will they do a traditional monthly fee setup.

I dunno. On the one hand, paying monthly makes for a steady flow of income that can then be rolled back into content, on a specific schedule. FTP, on the other hand, lowers the barrier of entry, which may make for more of a community, and allows players to be more flexible with their payments for things that are provided in the cash shop. The trick is, most devs don't do the cash shop correctly. A good example of a cash shop that is done correctly, in my opinion, is either Champions Online or League of Legends. It's cosmetics only, nothing that permanently affects gameplay. No special weapons, no special armor, just stuff that makes your character look cool. In the case of champions, they also provide extra bank slots, bag slots, character slots, temporary buffs that aren't allowed in PVP, and the like. It isn't that the FTP model is bad, it's simply that most devs are using it as a way to nickel and dime players for things that you need, or making it impossible to get items needed for access to endgame content without paying real money, which isn't the way to go about it, if you ask me.

SilverFoxR
Feb 18, 2012, 04:27 PM
I dunno. On the one hand, paying monthly makes for a steady flow of income that can then be rolled back into content, on a specific schedule. FTP, on the other hand, lowers the barrier of entry, which may make for more of a community, and allows players to be more flexible with their payments for things that are provided in the cash shop. The trick is, most devs don't do the cash shop correctly. A good example of a cash shop that is done correctly, in my opinion, is either Champions Online or League of Legends. It's cosmetics only, nothing that permanently affects gameplay. No special weapons, no special armor, just stuff that makes your character look cool. In the case of champions, they also provide extra bank slots, bag slots, character slots, temporary buffs that aren't allowed in PVP, and the like. It isn't that the FTP model is bad, it's simply that most devs are using it as a way to nickel and dime players for things that you need, or making it impossible to get items needed for access to endgame content without paying real money, which isn't the way to go about it, if you ask me.

I've never liked the idea of Pay to Play games as it often limits who can play, even if they want to plsy, but just aren't able to pay.

For example, I had a friend who was let off from his job. He had a 360 and a WoW account and, due to the poor job market where he was, he was unable to find a new job for a while. Before that time, he had to stop paying the monthy fee for WoW and eventually the XBL account, since he couldn't afford spending extraneous amounts of money...

...all this despite already buying both the console and WoW and it's various expansions.

For the 360, it just meant he couldn't go online anymore (which is kinna BS to begin with, but that's Microsoft, so no big surprise). But with WoW, it meant he couldn't play it AT ALL - a game and it's expansions that he paid retail price in order to play. For all intents and purposes, he owned the game and was being c*ck-blocked from playing it... just because Blizzard wanted more money (as if they don't have enough already?).

A good compromise would actually be the online pass system for used games or multiple accounts - a one-time payment for any new account made for the game. Basicly, this means you've paid for your game and access up-front. If you get a used copy of the game, you buy a new pass and there you go... you contributed to the server's maintenence.

Honestly, that would be a "best of both worlds" situation - you don't get nickled and dimed for access and you control the community a bit as well.

Slightly off-topic from what I was saying prior, if the game can be sold as a retail disc, I'd really like to see them allow for offline play with possibility of offline LAN connection. That way, even if you can't play online for some reason or another, you can still play the game. It'd be great for things like patches and server updates, as you can play offline while you wait and, once you go online, you can sync your data next time connect.

Omega-z
Feb 18, 2012, 07:35 PM
SilverFoxR - Blizzard did go to a one time payment with SC2 but then it was a rushed game, where you're hoping the expansion's will fix things. I see pro's and con's in FTP,PTP,OTP,DLC,DOD..etc. But Bottom Line is how Sega will go about handling it and and how well it works.

D-Inferno
Feb 18, 2012, 08:34 PM
Regarding united servers, don't forget that supposedly characters made on a ship are exclusive to that ship. Forget united servers, the player base will be fractured even in Japan.

Then again, there will probably be one ship that is the "majority" ship.

SilverFoxR
Feb 19, 2012, 07:06 AM
Fair enough...

...either way, I'm just waiting to hear what they're going to do by way of "payment" options. It'll pretty much be a deal-maker or deal-breaker depending on what they finally decide.

Cast Soldier
Feb 19, 2012, 07:40 AM
I was browsing different threads and I saw alot of talk about different server releases, than I instantly remembered that article on PSO.

Why don't they do what PSO did? Make one international version.
To compensate for the different timezones they can use the "Beat System". So instead of updates, content, expansion, server mantainece and things of the like happenning in three or more timezones, they can have it all at one Beat time. Like there is a system announcement that at 50,000 beat so and so is happenning. I don't know how long 1000 beats were in real time but was when it would repeat itself.

To compensate for the langauge barrier this was also handled in PSO. The game would translate for you. If you type something to someone that speaks a different language than you when you send the message the would see it in their language. I read you can change the language, can you do this in the middle/while playing the game? If you can if your fluent you can write to the person in their language.

This was done on a second(?) gen-console about a decade ago, isn't that like what a thousand years in computer evolution time? Isn't it possible to do that now but even better?

youcantcatchtheblue
Feb 19, 2012, 08:15 AM
I can understand how some people do not like the Pay-to-Play business model, but honestly, there is no way this game is going to go for "Free-to-play" or micro-transactions...

I mean, I can imagine that the only reason SEGA is making this game is because they are looking at how ridiculously successful WoW is and wanting a piece of that cake for themselves. If Blizzard can get 12 freaking MILLION people to pay a monthly fee to play a 7-year old game... then there's no way they're just gonna let people play PSO2 for free. SEGA runs a business, they want their profits.

If you've played the game, you'd know that they've invested a ton of time and money into making PSO2 into a polished Triple-A product. For that I wish them lots of success and lots of subscribers to give SEGA the tons and tons of profit they deserve.

Mag-X
Feb 19, 2012, 12:46 PM
Many MMOs have gone free-to-play and ended up becoming more profitable. Even though only a small percentage of people end up purchasing stuff in the premium store, the population increases so much that that small percent ends up being larger than the original subscription base.

For example, personally, I'd gladly pay $10 per month for PSO2. My friends, however, won't. And if they don't play, I probably won't play for very long. However, if they make it free with micro-transactions, my friends will keep playing (keeping me interested) and I'll happily buy all the pretty dresses in the premium store for my FOnewarl.

The people who buy stuff subsidies the game for the free players, and the free players provide value to everyone else by keeping the population up so there's actually a community.

When you're paying a subscription fee, you feel like you have to play or you're wasting your money. Unlike games like WoW where you can basically dedicate all your free time to playing, PSO just isn't set up for that kind of play. It's the kind of game you play when life gives you an hour or two to play, not the kind of game that becomes your life.

If it's pay-to-play, I'm afraid it's going to be just us really hard core fans playing, and there just aren't that many of us to justify keeping the game going in the long run. That, and when there's a small population, everyone just spams the same quest over and over and over again because it's the only way to get into a group.

I know free-to-play has its downsides, but for a game like PSO, I think it's the only way it can survive. Look at Blue Burst. Sega shut it down because not enough people were willing to pay, and yet it's still running on a private server on donations alone. That game was great during the open beta, and then as soon as it went pay, the population dropped to almost nothing and only stayed up for about a year.

Jinketsu
Feb 19, 2012, 01:00 PM
I like subscription fees because everything in the game is available to everyone that way. Free to play models rub me the wrong way because while the game is free, you still have to pay money for some of the content.

A good example would be I would rather be paying $10 a month as a mandatory contribution towards the game's servers than pay $10 a month for costume packs and other digital weapons and stuff they would release.

I know the Free to play method works well enough for developers to keep their servers going, but I just feel like forcing everyone to pay to keep the servers going while leaving all content available to those that pay is much more secure to keep the servers going strong than hoping everyone wants to buy your digital creations.

But that's just me. I look at PSOBB and PSU and feel like I'm contradicting myself sometimes.

shiink
Feb 19, 2012, 03:47 PM
Well, there is really no telling how SEGA will ultimately end up running this business model since they have tried various things in the past. We will just wait and see. I really hope they find a way to combine the best of both worlds. Getting some initial income as well as rolling profit while accommodating its variety of players. Some thing like "Buy-to-Play - Subscription + optional micro-transactions" Hopefully SEGA will do right and have a game with a successful longevity in content in player base.

Saotome Kaneda
Feb 19, 2012, 08:15 PM
To compensate for the langauge barrier this was also handled in PSO. The game would translate for you. If you type something to someone that speaks a different language than you when you send the message the would see it in their language. I read you can change the language, can you do this in the middle/while playing the game? If you can if your fluent you can write to the person in their language.

This was done on a second(?) gen-console about a decade ago, isn't that like what a thousand years in computer evolution time? Isn't it possible to do that now but even better?

There were preset chat phrases that were included in the game that were automatically translated to each player's client language setting. These were fairly limited and added the illusion of universal communication, but did not work in the way you think. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it again, but the old system was very unwieldy.

Real time active translation is a long way from happening. Look at Google Translate, Babelfish, and other translation programs, do you really want that in every text box in PSO2 when people are talking?

Anon_Fire
Feb 19, 2012, 08:26 PM
There were preset chat phrases that were included in the game that were automatically translated to each player's client language setting. These were fairly limited and added the illusion of universal communication, but did not work in the way you think. I wouldn't be surprised if they do it again, but the old system was very unwieldy.

Real time active translation is a long way from happening. Look at Google Translate, Babelfish, and other translation programs, do you really want that in every text box in PSO2 when people are talking?

Or look at the way FFXI is doing it.

Komali
Feb 19, 2012, 10:21 PM
I have no problem with a monthly fee (assuming it's in the common range of $10-$20) nor an initial purchase fee as it would be the same as buying the disc of WoW, for example.
For the amount of time that I will spend on this game, or spend in PSU already, paying such a small fee is nothing compared to the quality service I use regularly.
Regarding those that apparently can't pay: this is not a debate on health care, it's entertainment and is an insignificant cost even on minimum wage.

Now on to the slippery slope of charging real money for advantages in-game on top of that fee...

I understand the concept in all of those Korean MMOs that are free to play; they need to make money and do so with those who want to pay.
However, I'm really not a fan of what PSU is doing by charging additionally for new content on top of said fee. This is the monthly fee we all agreed to pay, give us all the same service!

Though we can compare those extra items to 'server transfers' or 'name changes' that players pay extra for in WoW so it's not anything new at this point.

Saotome Kaneda
Feb 20, 2012, 12:28 AM
Or look at the way FFXI is doing it.

How did XI handle it? Was there actual on-the-fly translation happening or was it just *trigger* -> *preset output based on client language*?

Anon_Fire
Feb 20, 2012, 12:42 AM
How did XI handle it? Was there actual on-the-fly translation happening or was it just *trigger* -> *preset output based on client language*?

Probably both. Too bad there's no one else who can confirm that.

Aerionel
Feb 20, 2012, 02:22 AM
I played XI, It was pre set words/phrases. Usually, you could form a sentence close to what you

meant with the single words. Or a mixture of the pre set phrases. It was alright.

Uncle_bob
Feb 20, 2012, 02:48 AM
JP onry.

:disapprove:

Serephim
Feb 20, 2012, 04:26 AM

It's better than nothing. Any kind of method of translation, other than picking up rosetta stone or spending significant time immersing yourself in a foreign environment, does a bit to encourage players to not mind playing with eachother.

I personally dont see a problem with PSO's system. They just need to drastically rethink its interface, because it was so damn tedious in PSO that anything you wanted to say would probably be redundant by the time you got it out...

SilverFoxR
Feb 20, 2012, 05:08 AM
Well, there is really no telling how SEGA will ultimately end up running this business model since they have tried various things in the past. We will just wait and see. I really hope they find a way to combine the best of both worlds. Getting some initial income as well as rolling profit while accommodating its variety of players. Some thing like "Buy-to-Play - Subscription + optional micro-transactions" Hopefully SEGA will do right and have a game with a successful longevity in content in player base.

It is true that we'll have to wait and see... I just would like to know how it'll work overall sometime soon... or at least when we get a release date (which, yeah... probably won't be until the end of the year).

As for what I'd personally find a good method for a moneymaking set-up is to make the game a retail-purchased disk and use the "online pass" system per-account. Every retail disk has the online code in the box, but players who get the game used, copied or what have you need to buy an online pass code to make a new account. Subsequently, anyone who wants to make a second account also must buy a new code.

This way, anyone who wants to play the game puts their money in up-front to do so without paying again and again. This way, we bought our access right away and don't have to be constantly paying over and over to use something we already bought.

A downloadable, FtP model is nice and all, but there are challenges of monitoring the types of users as well. You'll run into some really nasty communities in FtP games, popular and profitable they may be. A little control is nice, but too much nickle and diming is just a turn-off. Even if you can afford it, should you really be doing so? After all, $10 a month is still $120 a year - enough to buy 2 or 3 home console games (which can have free online depending on the console).

Adding some simple items to a micro-transaction "cash shop" would be fine in this system as well, but for the sake of things, I'd never reccomend anything that gives a player any major in-game advantages. Mainly, I'd just say to include cosmetic changes, such as armour sets or special weapon effects would be more than enough. From what I've seen in the past, just a micro-transaction costume change can get people spending their cash... and it doesn't really do anything harmful (except to the eyes of more cynical players).

If it were me personally, I think a retail-bought disk with "online pass" system and maybe a few cosmetic micro-transactions would probably be the best purchase system overall. That way, you get solid income for server maintenence and a large, but somewhat controllable and friendly community.

But that's just how I see it... feel free to discuss if you want.

Serephim
Feb 20, 2012, 02:01 PM
i think the community aspect of any game directly reflects the way the game was designed to be played.

If the game strains the players with ridiculous amounts of time to get anywhere, the community will be stingy, selfish and uptight. If you let people casually play the game and still actually be able to advance without grinding/farming for hours, then the community will be much more tight-knit.

PSO/U was always like this to me. People hunt for rares, but in the grand scheme of things, people are just playing to kill shit and have fun. It wasn't until PSU where mission rewards and ridiculous synth requirements would kind of stress people out and bottleneck the community into nothing but mission farming.

But man, even in PSU where you had people who'd kick you for messing up their mission rewards, there were alot of people like me who actually enjoyed the challenge of not performing well in a mission. At least it gave me a real reason to actually retry the mission.

Mugaaz2
Feb 24, 2012, 12:06 PM
i think the community aspect of any game directly reflects the way the game was designed to be played.

If the game strains the players with ridiculous amounts of time to get anywhere, the community will be stingy, selfish and uptight. If you let people casually play the game and still actually be able to advance without grinding/farming for hours, then the community will be much more tight-knit.

PSO/U was always like this to me. People hunt for rares, but in the grand scheme of things, people are just playing to kill shit and have fun. It wasn't until PSU where mission rewards and ridiculous synth requirements would kind of stress people out and bottleneck the community into nothing but mission farming.

But man, even in PSU where you had people who'd kick you for messing up their mission rewards, there were alot of people like me who actually enjoyed the challenge of not performing well in a mission. At least it gave me a real reason to actually retry the mission.

I disagree with 2/3 things you said. Community is more tightly knit the more difficult a game is and the more it requires teamwork (EQ1). There is a vast history of online communities to support this. You're confusing this with what happens when these type of games make it so the weak leak in the party can cause everyone to fail. THAT's when the community becomes horribly abusive (DOTA/LoL)

When the game is very casual and easy it actually destroys the community because there is no need to associate or play with other users.

NoiseHERO
Feb 24, 2012, 12:20 PM
When the game is very casual and easy it actually destroys the community because there is no need to associate or play with other users.

I actually HAVE seen this a few times before in games...

Where a game would be so casual, you'd think it wouldn't have elitists. But instead it just gives the elitists reasons to solo, until the whole endgame community has no reason to even talk to each other.

Which actually bugs me, because I hate that "I SOLO ONLINE GAMES TO KILL THE POINT OF THE GAME BEING MASSIVE MULTPLAYER ONLINE TO BEGIN WITH" mentality. So by the time everyone reaches that endgame, they all complain on the forums about whatever. For content they think will make the game more fun. when really playing with friends is what makes the boring core gameplay bearable to begin with. (because a lot of online games are actually boring as shit if you intend to play them solo like it's some kind of console game.)

Their biggest excuse being some goal achieving, competitive reason. But what actually makes that sad and hilarious is that it's a casual game...

Veoh
Mar 26, 2012, 04:27 PM
I read through the PSO2 info thread but didn't see anything on this topic so if anyone has any information, PSO2 is in Japanese but i was wondering does anybody know if pso2 will have a option to translate the menus into English?

•Col•
Mar 26, 2012, 05:14 PM
There's a Language choice in the Options menu... One of the options listed is English.

Almost definitely won't be an option in the beta, though.

r00tabaga
Mar 26, 2012, 05:23 PM
He beat me to it. Yeah, English is definitely there.

Ark22
Mar 26, 2012, 05:25 PM
ANyone thinking what I am thinking and just downloading the Japanese version?

Veoh
Mar 26, 2012, 05:25 PM
There's a Language choice in the Options menu... One of the options listed is English.

He beat me to it. Yeah, English is definitely there.

Thanks for the help :3

r00tabaga
Mar 26, 2012, 05:28 PM
ANyone thinking what I am thinking and just downloading the Japanese version?

Vita is region free....English (among other languages) is a menu option.....yeah, I'll be D/L all three versions.
Japanese or not, I suppose it doesn't really matter anymore.

DerpiestShazbot
Mar 27, 2012, 11:31 AM
Seriously?
How many people actually know this? Is it confirmed?
If I can just get the game in Japanese right when it comes out and select English as a language option then that would awesome.

Krank32oz
Mar 27, 2012, 11:38 AM
Honestly if people are concerned about this game coming out in the US wouldn't that effect their choice negatively if everyone just gets the Japanese version?

r00tabaga
Mar 27, 2012, 11:54 AM
One version to rule them all! Bwahahahaha

DerpiestShazbot
Mar 27, 2012, 12:06 PM
One version to rule them all! Bwahahahaha

Well then if that's true then why is everyone still worried about the game getting localized?
As much as I would really like this a part of me really thinks thats too good to be true. Can you provide me with some sort of proof?

Totori
Mar 27, 2012, 12:12 PM
I think you're giving him the wrong message guys, PSO2 is in Japanese, i'm pretty sure it won't have an automatic translation option like in Final Fantasy for the PSP.

But if that's what he's asking, then yeah there isn't an english option.

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 27, 2012, 11:31 PM

Where have we seen English listed as an option in the language select? It wasn't among the options in the Alpha test, and indeed, I've just checked the client. It wasn't there.

Mike
Mar 27, 2012, 11:34 PM
Where have we seen English listed as an option in the language select? It wasn't among the options in the Alpha test, and indeed, I've just checked the client. It wasn't there.
Data mining. I don't enjoy being spoiled so I've been staying away from that though.

NoiseHERO
Mar 27, 2012, 11:37 PM
Data mining. I don't enjoy being spoiled so I've been staying away from that though.

Way I see it, SEGA been advertising in a way where they basically "tease" the whole game to us anyway we may as well know everything about it by now outside of the story and specific planets. D:

Vashyron
Mar 27, 2012, 11:52 PM
Way I see it, SEGA been advertising in a way where they basically "tease" the whole game to us anyway we may as well know everything about it by now outside of the story and specific planets. D:

I wouldn't be surprised if we see Falz (Perhaps a Silhouette even or something) in a Video or a Screenshot before release.

NoiseHERO
Mar 27, 2012, 11:58 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we see Falz (Perhaps a Silhouette even or something) in a Video or a Screenshot before release.

Hmph, they did it with PSP2.

>Last boss isn't dark falz
>SPOIL IT ANYWAY!

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 12:45 AM
As my personal experience, Im not a full fledged Japanese Talker, and i have hard time deciphering computer displayed Kanji, I played many of Phantasy Star in Japanese, but my tendence to read it was much more like Trial and error, then I just remembered button positioning and didn't read at all. I think the biggest problem for me with the JP versions hassles is not myself playing it but convincing a friend to try it, I still have some friends that still wants to wait for an EN release of PSPo2i which will likely "never come?". But I'm not the kind of a person that won't play a game just because my friend has an excuse of not doing so. Still I would prefer it that way, so I hope for an EN release of PSO2!

NoiseHERO
Mar 28, 2012, 01:00 AM
As my personal experience, Im not a full fledged Japanese Talker, and i have hard time deciphering computer displayed Kanji, I played many of Phantasy Star in Japanese, but my tendence to read it was much more like Trial and error, then I just remembered button positioning and didn't read at all. I think the biggest problem for me with the JP versions hassles is not myself playing it but convincing a friend to try it, I still have some friends that still wants to wait for an EN release of PSPo2i which will likely "never come?". But I'm not the kind of a person that won't play a game just because my friend has an excuse of not doing so. Still I would prefer it that way, so I hope for an EN release of PSO2!

Slap your friends/find better ones/find ones that wanna play in general.

Coming from a guy with highschool friends that only played FPS/Nintendo games so never got to play PSU and many other games with any of em.

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 01:03 AM
Slap your friends/find better ones/find ones that wanna play in general.

Coming from a guy with highschool friends that only played FPS/Nintendo games so never got to play PSU and many other games with any of em.

Well I happen to also have the PSPo2i JP version, mostly bought the EN PSPo2 for my real life friends ad hoc play since its laggy and saves me from chatting and having fun requiring wi fi :3. As said im the kind of person who dont let myself hold back because of my friends, I do what I please, but since I live in a remotely far away place from the US, I prefer having my real life friends playing with me (if its possible). And sometimes I wish my old friends from EN PSO to be in this PSO2 adventure as well, but well either everyone don't want to get related to it or have a grudge for something totally unrelated to PSO. That's why Im looking to make friends here.

r00tabaga
Mar 28, 2012, 09:17 AM
But hold on....if there is an English option in settings, why do we even need it localized? What would be the difference? Wouldnt global servers work best with one version as opposed to multiple???

Macman
Mar 28, 2012, 09:43 AM
The option's there, but I don't think it does anything as of yet.

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 11:45 AM
But hold on....if there is an English option in settings, why do we even need it localized? What would be the difference? Wouldnt global servers work best with one version as opposed to multiple???

Exactly to what I was thinking about last night before bed. Most likely the game will just get translated like many JP games porting global, like why would you need to localize each server? Specially not just after a Region Merge but also a ports Merge. The only problem that I see about PSO2's case is that this games tends to have the EN and JP release at same time so the EN players dont feel handicapped for missing events. But I wouldn't mind that so much since SEGA has the tendence to repeat the events every 1-2 years. Still I would love that there is an EN option, I'm fine with japanese except when it comes to computer sized font Kanji that im not very good reading it.

Totori
Mar 28, 2012, 11:53 AM

I think the datamining only found out that PSO2 can support english, but yeah I don't know about the options menu being able to do that, it just seems really unlikely.

•Col•
Mar 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
There are SOME files already in the game for the English language.

Localization Info:
[spoiler-box]Between Alpha 1 to Alpha 2 they added the Title screen in different language directories, here is a list:

language/ch/ui_title_logo.ice
language/de/ui_title_logo.ice
language/en/ui_title_logo.ice
language/es/ui_title_logo.ice
language/fr/ui_title_logo.ice
language/it/ui_title_logo.ice
language/jp/ui_title_logo.ice
language/ko/ui_title_logo.ice
language/tw/ui_title_logo.ice

Take a wild guess on what those stand for. :wacko:

Each of these contains the title screen textures, here is the JP one:
[spoiler-box]
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Tools/Textures/ui_title_main_logo01_jp.png

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Tools/Textures/ui_ef_tex_jp.png[/spoiler-box] Here is the EN one:
[spoiler-box]

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Tools/Textures/ui_title_main_logo01_en.pnghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Tools/Textures/ui_ef_tex_en.png[/spoiler-box]

Things to note;

All the ones except JP seem to be outdated, they have since moved the "Press Enter" somewhere else. Which is also now called "Push Enter Key."
The EN one has the Japanese below PSO2 removed. (On the big one.)
All the other language files are mostly the same to the EN one, but they still keep the JP text under all the PSO2s, only small difference in some of them is that the ©Sega is colored a bit differently.

While they obviously haven't made much progress localizing it they have already made directories and files for those languages, quite safe for me to say they are planning to localize to those.[/spoiler-box]

As for the people asking what the difference would be if there was an English option in the Japanese release of the game, or an English version... Well, there really wouldn't be one. Once they have the English option finished, that'd pretty much be the English release of the game. I'm suspecting there is going to be a global server, so once they get the translation done, they'd only have to post it up on an english PSO2 site to download... And that's that.

NoiseHERO
Mar 28, 2012, 12:23 PM
With the game being free to download and all, all they would really have to do is make an english website to host the download, and the installation could come with the english options already set.

Then buying arkz cash on said english website. :\

•Col•
Mar 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
With the game being free to download and all, all they would really have to do is make an english website to host the download, and the installation could come with the english options already set.

Then buying arkz cash on said english website. :\

Pretty much what I was trying to say.

The English language option would BE the localized English game.

Dinosaur
Mar 28, 2012, 12:26 PM
I'm assuming they're gonna put PSO2 on steam once it's globally released. It would get HELLA players through steam.

Vashyron
Mar 28, 2012, 12:28 PM
Hopefully it does come to Steam. It would bring in so many players, ya don't even know.

•Col•
Mar 28, 2012, 12:31 PM
Steam compatibility... Would just be icing on the cake at this point.

Can anyone say "Promotional items with Team Fortress 2"?

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/extras/image/name/san2/719/262719/awesome_face.jpg

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 02:06 PM
Steam compatibility... Would just be icing on the cake at this point.

Can anyone say "Promotional items with Team Fortress 2"?

What if instead of a Hat we got an exclusive mag for TF2 classes? >:3

NoiseHERO
Mar 28, 2012, 02:42 PM
Portal guns, left 4 dead outfits and a MAG cell that says "BONK" plx.

Macman
Mar 28, 2012, 02:49 PM
Photon sword for Demoman.

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 02:58 PM
Portal guns, left 4 dead outfits and a MAG cell that says "BONK" plx.

Sandvich Mag cell :3

ProfesorPain
Mar 30, 2012, 12:37 AM
Does anyone know if this PSO2 online will be exclusive to japan, like Monster Hunter Frontier, or have US server we just need to import the game?
Or better yet have english copys of the game.

r00tabaga
Mar 30, 2012, 12:39 AM
I dunno look it up. Let us know!

Cayenne
Mar 30, 2012, 12:39 AM
No official word and no one knows.

Also expect a bunch of other post full of speculations and theories.

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 01:06 AM
probably but nobody knows.

/thread

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 01:09 AM
I know it's coming out in America B)

Just like consoles and summer release

kyuuketsuki
Mar 30, 2012, 01:10 AM
What Remius said.

Doesn't anybody read the sticky topic (or notice the numerous other threads about this very topic) before making a new thread about this? =\
Just like consoles[...]
Keep dreamin'. =)
[...]and summer release
If it's not delayed again. If the betas go well, we may indeed see a late summer release.

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 01:10 AM
^ ^ This man agrees (lol jk but awesome timing)

EDIT: Curse you edit button.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 30, 2012, 01:13 AM
^ ^ This man agrees (lol jk but awesome timing)

EDIT: Curse you edit button.
You ninjaed me so I had to edit. =p

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 01:18 AM
You ninjaed me so I had to edit. =p

Lol I meant Handhelds, but I wouldn't be shocked for a WII-U release. Sorta kinda. But yesh, I ninja'd you B)

NoiseHERO
Mar 30, 2012, 01:27 AM
This game is NOT coming to America.

yet

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 01:31 AM
This game is NEVER coming to america. Ever.

North America though, maybe

moorebounce
Mar 30, 2012, 02:13 AM
This game is NOT coming to America.

yet

IMO localization has already been done on this game. I can't see how Sega could be that short sighted in thinking if they release the game for free over the internet that only Japanese players will be the only ones who download PSO2.

r00tabaga
Mar 30, 2012, 10:19 AM
Would we use USD or yen though?

Griffin
Mar 30, 2012, 10:22 AM
If it doesn't come stateside, I'm converting to Japanese.

Merumeru
Mar 30, 2012, 10:46 AM
I think the real question is WHEN, not IF XD

Rizen
Mar 30, 2012, 10:48 AM
Who needs WHEN when you can just play on the JP servers. :P

Time to go learn some Nihongo people!

Golto
Mar 30, 2012, 10:53 AM
Early Japanese server adopters might luck out with non-seperated servers, and would only have to d/l an English client while still using their chars.

Rizen
Mar 30, 2012, 10:54 AM
Early Japanese server adopters might luck out with non-seperated servers, and would only have to d/l an English client while still using their chars.

True true...never thought of that...

oOSAROo
Mar 30, 2012, 11:10 AM
no panic, it comes out ... my information is old but pso2.com, pso2.co.uk and pso2.de is registered in Luxenburg for SEGA Europe...

Mag-X
Mar 30, 2012, 11:17 AM

I'd bet there would still be separate US and Japanese user accounts, so they'd still have to make a new account if they wanted to use the English language client.

•Col•
Mar 30, 2012, 11:31 AM
I'd bet there would still be separate US and Japanese user accounts, so they'd still have to make a new account if they wanted to use the English language client.

I don't think they can even really separate the US/Japanese accounts if it was a shared server... Even if they somehow did find out a way, you could just go into your Japanese SEGA ID, correct all of your information, then just use the English client of the game.

Reia
Mar 30, 2012, 11:39 AM
I give same to me, given my location my JP lag is exactly like my EN lag, and even if they make an EN server, the customer service will make your blood boil. I made a huge mistake coming to PSU EN, that will be full of grievers and now with RMTers and meseta dealers. I should had stayed in JP like all my other Phantasy Star games, not committing the same mistake with PSO2.

r00tabaga
Mar 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
Wow, another PSU intercept! No way.

Rizen
Mar 30, 2012, 11:47 AM
I made a huge mistake coming to PSU EN, that will be full of grievers and now with RMTers and meseta dealers. I should had stayed in JP like all my other Phantasy Star games, not committing the same mistake with PSO2.
You do know they exist in the JP version of games too. I know you know a bit of japanese, but lets say that shields you from knowing the full extent of them.

Reia
Mar 30, 2012, 11:49 AM
You do know they exist in the JP version of games too. I know you know a bit of japanese, but lets say that shields you from knowing the full extent of them.

Hehe, Since the closedown of PSU EN It confirmed my theory that the game was good, just community made it bad, that's the greatest difference between EN and JP. And out of general community everyone has been bad, I have to agree with a CAST F Speedrunner whose name I won't say that no one in PSU EN is worth trusting, since the moment you quit, they stop being friends and being either boring or unfriendly, and caring nothing more about you than how good you were ingame and lose interest the moment you quit. I still have my PSOJP friends and PSPo2JP friends as well, but PSUEN, nobody passed and there is NO EXCEPTIONS!

Edit: At least for the PC server.

Rizen
Mar 30, 2012, 11:57 AM
I think you just had a bad run in PSU US. Although I lost touch with alot of my friends when real life kicked in, we kept in touch for a few years. Since the annoucement of PSO2, I've managed to reconnect with alot of them. Not because they are only interested in the game, but they were interested in finding their old friends.

Also, the english JP community is more tight-knit because they have to be in order to play together. With the language barrier, it is harder to make friends and understand the game, so there is usually a mentor mentee relationship going which builds better bonds.

eclipsXe
Mar 30, 2012, 12:06 PM
http://zcint.co.uk/article/sega-release-forecast-liable-to-change

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20120330sega_kaikaku_e_final.pdf

Like the second link says they won't be giving us certain games since they will most likely lack in sales except for certain few like Sonic(hopefully PSO is in the same category as this) Some games have already been canceled. Seeing how PSO 2 will be f2p and the portable series is a pretty big hit in the US I doubt this will effect the choice of it coming to the states or not....But what if it does? :(

As much as i want to just go for the Japanese version, I feel like i'll be missing out on a lot of content because i won't be able to read, understand, and even maybe not able to pay for the game. I hear you guys found an english translation in the game in the alpha client, if it doesn't come to the states I really hope they bring it to the main game.

Also pretty upset because of all the games I might be missing out on because of this

Griffin
Mar 30, 2012, 12:09 PM
PSO2 is still happening and Sega planned for "global support". I have no concerns.

Rizen
Mar 30, 2012, 12:09 PM
I'm pretty sure there will be a US/EU release. There are already files for it (found via datamine) and reserved domains.

Also, duck for making a new topic!

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 12:31 PM
I predicted an English release...we will get it.

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 12:36 PM
Don't worry E, it will be internationally released

eclipsXe
Mar 30, 2012, 12:38 PM
Hey yo fawk you! /banned

Just wouldn't be the first time Sega threw something at us or took it away out of nowhere D:

HandOfThornz
Mar 30, 2012, 01:09 PM
I heard about this early today. An interesting point is mentioned in point 1:
"including strengthening development in the field of digital content."

PSO2 is a digital focused product. SEGA have been slow to move toward digital games, but this restructure hopefully means it will push alot more digital content.... which i hope PSO2 will be one of the first game they decide to push. SEGA know they have a lot of dedicated western fans of the PS. I think they have just had to work out the correct business model to make profit and get as many people playing/enjoying the game.

The delayed western release announcement could all be related to SEGA loses mentioned in that link?

It's a real shame they are going to mainly focusing on 4 main IP's in the west but i'd rather see SEGA continue than lose SEGA all together ;)

eclipsXe
Mar 30, 2012, 01:17 PM
Yeah maybe PSO 2 will be the beginning of it that's why it's going to be free to download. Yeah that's my main fear on why they didn't announce it for US yet, but knowing that there is an english translation in the game and PS is popular series in the US so I think it's safe from this.

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 01:19 PM
GIVE ME MY YAKUZA SEGA BITCH. That is all.

Zio23
Mar 30, 2012, 01:30 PM
don't worry guys, have faith! : )

I'm sure it's coming

HandOfThornz
Mar 30, 2012, 01:43 PM
Yeah maybe PSO 2 will be the beginning of it that's why it's going to be free to download. Yeah that's my main fear on why they didn't announce it for US yet, but knowing that there is an english translation in the game and PS is popular series in the US so I think it's safe from this.

i fully agree. :)
I see SEGA are on the list of E3 exhibitors, so i'm hoping they will announce the western release details then. However SEGA may decide to only show the product behind closed doors meaning only to selected press. so we may all walk away feeling we will have to learn Japanese, lol ;)

Lets hope SEGA gets this one right globally, yes there are a few concerns about recent ingame content announcements, but compared to other games of this genre i think SEGA has an awesome product that could appeal to a wide number of players and for the main part its mainly free! a couple of £/$'s here or there for a bit of clothing or a stack of scape dolls really sounds like a cool idea. Hopefully they make some money back and keeps them profitable for the future.

Maybe they are releasing in JP first to test the business model before commiting to a western release? i could guess for hours, lol ;)

Rizen
Mar 30, 2012, 02:02 PM
Maybe they are releasing in JP first to test the business model before commiting to a western release? i could guess for hours years, lol ;)
Fix'd!

DerpiestShazbot
Mar 30, 2012, 02:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGdKkbYzCew&feature=g-all-u&context=G2688ec9FAAAAAAAAAAA

This has me a little worried.

edit: this video came out today.

drmcst45
Mar 30, 2012, 02:22 PM
doesn't matter much to me now. the game will be made publicly free to download and play at some point in time. I will run it and use the English language preference and go from there. if there is no english option then im sure someone here will write up some FAQs for menu translations so we know which attribute is listed where and what it means.

over time i can adjust to this.

DerpiestShazbot
Mar 30, 2012, 02:25 PM
doesn't matter much to me now. the game will be made publicly free to download and play at some point in time. I will run it and use the English language preference and go from there. if there is no english option then im sure someone here will write up some FAQs for menu translations so we know which attribute is listed where and what it means.

over time i can adjust to this.

Hopefully. I don't know. It really sounds like too much of hassle to me.
Then again, I played the heck out of the Japanese version of Phantasy Star Zero and I didn't understand a word in that game.

pso2love
Mar 30, 2012, 03:00 PM
http://zcint.co.uk/article/sega-release-forecast-liable-to-change

"Phantasy Star Online 2, the long-awaited sequel to Sega’s Dreamcast multiplayer hit, may not arrive in the United States or Europe after all. In a press release sent March 30th by Sega’s stock-holding partner, Sega Sammy, the company announced an “adjustment has been made to the forecast of its full-year consolidated operating results for the [fiscal] year ending in March 2012” – in layman’s terms, Sega is doing worse than anticipated.

Sega Sammy is expected to record losses by March 31st. Other parts of this gloomy forecast include the poor economy and “rapid change in market environment,” specifically in the US and Europe. Luckily, nothing has been mentioned about PSO2 yet, but the numbers don’t lie: Sega Sammy has only accumulated around half of their projected earnings this year, possibly keeping the sci-fi RPG and other niche titles from leaving Japan.

Phantasy Star fans are already in an uproar over the recently announced free-to-play model, but anticipation for the game is higher than ever, as it’s scheduled to enter closed beta in late April."

I CALL PROTEST!...well maybe its a tad bit early to say that, but still!....

BIG OLAF
Mar 30, 2012, 03:01 PM
It's going to be a free download. Download the JP version. After a while, the menus and items will become familiar to you, and it won't matter.

oOSAROo
Mar 30, 2012, 03:17 PM
I believe this website not!!!!:argh:

Rizen
Mar 30, 2012, 03:21 PM
Let's put it this way....SEGA America will at E3 this year. If they are indeed remodeling their market plan...I highly doubt they would show up at E3 to show off a new Sonic game or just a Vanquish sequel.

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
PSO2 will be released in America. Think about it, they will focus on DIGITAL CONTENT. What is PSO2? DIGITAL CONTENT. They are most likely using PSO2 as an example of their reconstructing method.

Griffin
Mar 30, 2012, 03:26 PM
PSO2 will be released in America. Think about it, they will focus on DIGITAL CONTENT. What is PSO2? DIGITAL CONTENT. They are most likely using PSO2 as an example of their reconstructing method.

Indeed, my wise friend.

Dragwind
Mar 30, 2012, 03:28 PM

To further emphasize that, PSO2 is pretty much Sega's biggest digital content project ever, spanning PC, Vita, and iOS/Android devices. That's a pretty big digital distribution project.

eclipsXe
Mar 30, 2012, 03:31 PM

.....This is exactly what I said in the thread before it got moved..... and it got no props. I'm hurt.

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 03:33 PM
.....This is exactly what I said in the thread before it got moved..... and it got no props. I'm hurt.

Don't worry E, I got your back 8-)

Griffin
Mar 30, 2012, 03:34 PM
Who is E? Who did you just reply to, Ark? I can't see anything.

NoiseHERO
Mar 30, 2012, 03:42 PM

I think I can take you up on this.

Though it still wtf'd the bejeezus out of me readin' this.

Also no Jet Set Radio 3... ever ]:

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 03:42 PM
@ Griff

My friend exclipsXe. We were having a giant debate about the PSO2 and Sega reconstruction.

Also no Jet Set Radio 3... ever ]:

JSRF3.........Man I wish..IF THEY MADE AN MMO?! oh yeah..

DerpiestShazbot
Mar 30, 2012, 03:46 PM
I really hope we get an epic PSO2 announcement at E3.

CelestialBlade
Mar 30, 2012, 03:59 PM

To further emphasize that, PSO2 is pretty much Sega's biggest digital content project ever, spanning PC, Vita, and iOS/Android devices. That's a pretty big digital distribution project.
Good call on both points. I'm not freaking out yet by any means but it's cause for concern, unless they do what I think they'll do and use PSO2 as a means of recovering. I still think it's an appealing game to western gamers, much more than PSU was, so with a little advertising it could definitely improve their standing.

Dragwind
Mar 30, 2012, 04:09 PM
Good call on both points. I'm not freaking out yet by any means but it's cause for concern, unless they do what I think they'll do and use PSO2 as a means of recovering. I still think it's an appealing game to western gamers, much more than PSU was, so with a little advertising it could definitely improve their standing.

I say they should bring back a modified version of this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk for PSO2 in the west.

Griffin
Mar 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
I say they should bring back a modified version of this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk) for PSO2 in the west.

It's like watching the Jetsons. lol

pso2love
Mar 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
I say they should bring back a modified version of this commercial (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw6hosekixk) for PSO2 in the west.

I 2nd that ^.^

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 04:13 PM
1,000 beats.....What were beats again? Wasn't that the game time.

Macman
Mar 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
Some failed attempt at an internet standard time.

NoiseHERO
Mar 30, 2012, 04:20 PM

DAT unused city and planetS (only ragol.)

THE INTERNET!

Macman
Mar 30, 2012, 04:47 PM
Hildebears in Forest 1!
My world is shattered.

CelestialBlade
Mar 30, 2012, 04:49 PM
I say they should bring back a modified version of this for PSO2 in the west.
Hah, that'd be perfect :lol:

pso2love
Mar 30, 2012, 04:51 PM
So I was reading through the posts, and I couldn't help but imagine this song in my head the entire time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFqmz5NS1bM&hd=1"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFqmz5NS1bM&hd=1

AzureBlaze
Mar 30, 2012, 04:51 PM
Can someone PLEASE PLEASE bash this press release?

We conducted detailed reviews of earnings projections for titles targeted toward the U.S. and European markets and decided to narrow down sales titles from the following period and after to strong IPs, such as “Sonic the Hedgehog,”, “Football Manager”, “Total War” and “Aliens” which are expected to continue posting solid earnings. In accordance with this, we are canceling the development of some game software titles. [segasammy]

Please bash it some how.
PSO2 is almost done, right? They CANT can it at this point, can they?

It came from here:
http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/20120330sega_kaikaku_e_final.pdf

which Bumped found.
It doesn't apply to internationalization, surely? I'm just being over-sensative toward it, right? I would really like to see something that goes against this, or confirms that PSO2 isn't going to be affected by this.

NoiseHERO
Mar 30, 2012, 05:03 PM
^ Yeah we brought that up a few pages ago.

I think PSO2 being a DIGITAL game, and being F2P with a cash shop saves it from that.

ESPECIALLY if we just piggy back on to the JP servers (with the client having english settings) using their "global support."

Or maybe the other language settings is exactly what they meant by "global support." Looking at their whole setup again and all the evidence of the game being in different languages, it actually all makes sense.

Kion
Mar 30, 2012, 05:18 PM
Please bash it some how.
PSO2 is almost done, right? They CANT can it at this point, can they?

The beta is "near release status" and PSO is one of their larger franchises; I'd doubt they'd can it.

As for coming to the west, I think that worst case scenario everyone downloads the JP version and we find a way to patch it with english.

Rizen
Mar 30, 2012, 05:21 PM

...Anyone else notice the animations and certain abilities were never present in the game?

SELENNA
Mar 30, 2012, 07:00 PM
...Anyone else notice the animations and certain abilities were never present in the game?

Well a lot of stuff in the commercial is funny TBH

- Hildebears in Forest 1
- Evil Shark in Forest 1
- Grass Assassin in Forest 1

RikkiBlackNanobeast
Mar 30, 2012, 07:55 PM

I have thought this from the start. Almost makes me inclined to at least have an idea of making a fan-commercial of it. :)

Though I'd never be able to. XD

BWS-1
Mar 30, 2012, 07:56 PM
Just... don't make it a 'Spiral Knights', SEGA. Please? Thanks.

Griffin
Mar 30, 2012, 08:01 PM
Just... don't make it a 'Spiral Knights', SEGA. Please? Thanks.

How did that go?

BWS-1
Mar 30, 2012, 08:09 PM
How did that go?

As I mentioned elsewhere, imagine playing a PSO game where, say, every items up to 20 is FREE, than you need to BUY mats to get to create or find the others, or have to BUY access to 'Hard' and 'Very Hard' runs every time with ''energy'' (which could be purchased in-game) BUT if you have enough meseta (read: a LUDICROUS amount) you could ''trade'' those hard-earned meseta for a small amount of energy, to maybe eventually have enough to get a couple runs on Hard. Maybe. After wasting x amount more hours than you would have if you'd just BUY the energy with real money. So hey, everyone is still free to do what they want, but you're HEAVILY restrained if you're wanting to play without spending too much or any REAL money.

Spiral Knights is a neat game, has one of the best most soothing title screen song ever (so nice...). Think of it as an Online Zelda game... with... lil robot-dudes... anyway, it's cute and all and still fun but yeeaaaahh, they have the stellar example of what we DON'T want to see in PSO2. And with SEGA now owning Three Rings (the guys who made Spiral Knights) and seeing them 'trying their hands at a F2P model' for PSO2, I'm afraid they'll go over and ask 'tips' from Three Rings on how to rig PSO2 gooood. x.x

Dark Emerald EXE
Mar 30, 2012, 09:43 PM

I kinda lol'd at the epic entry of the phone jack into the wall xD

Shade_Koopa
Mar 31, 2012, 12:32 AM
http://bumped.org/psublog/phantasy-star-online-2-closed-beta-features/#comments

(sega press release is at the bottom of the blog post and above the comments.)

Please tell me my eyes are playing tricks on me and Sega is NOT actually considering the cancellation of PSO 2 overseas?

NoiseHERO
Mar 31, 2012, 12:35 AM
PSO2 is digital, Free to play and possibly shared servers with JP (well maybe at least with those language settings)

I think that escapes this new plan.

Plus, it's pretty obvious a lot of non Japanese fans want the game.

But yeah, already like 4 threads on this or something.

Shade_Koopa
Mar 31, 2012, 12:36 AM
They added symbol chat so yeah, very high chance of servers merging for US/JPN/EU players and such.

But why cancel PSO 2 coming over seas if it's free to play in the first place.

Ark22
Mar 31, 2012, 12:36 AM
We need one more just for GP.

eclipsXe, Dragwind and myself made an excellent statement saying this will come out in the US.

NoiseHERO
Mar 31, 2012, 12:38 AM
But why cancel PSO 2 coming over seas if it's free to play in the first place.

Pretty much what I said and why I'm guessing it wouldn't be canceled including it being digital (They said they were focusing on digital content as well.)

r00tabaga
Mar 31, 2012, 12:40 AM
What Rock said. Why would they cancel a game during Beta registration? Cmon man!
It will happen. Very soon actually!

Ark22
Mar 31, 2012, 12:41 AM
I predicted it, it will happen.

NoiseHERO
Mar 31, 2012, 12:54 AM
I still think this game is set up WAY too perfect for us to share servers with JP players (Like we do with Xbox.)

Shade_Koopa
Mar 31, 2012, 12:56 AM
I predicted it, it will happen.

And on the slight possibility that your wrong?

Ark22
Mar 31, 2012, 01:08 AM

I made a good point.

•Col•
Mar 31, 2012, 01:14 AM
I made a good point.

No you didn't. eclipsXe made that point quite a bit before you did and you just repeated it. :l

To the OP... There's already several threads about this, including the other stickied one: http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193271

Also, PSO2 can't really be "cancelled" considering it was never announced to come to the west in the first place... But it most likely will.

Ark22
Mar 31, 2012, 01:21 AM
We need one more just for GP.

eclipsXe, Dragwind and myself made an excellent statement saying this will come out in the US.

Should've scrolled up. Rephrase: When E put it up I didn't noticed it till he told he put it up and while we were talking I said the same thing pretty much so I posted my idea and found out he said the same thing to. Plus I know E in real life and we were talking about it while playing Armored Core V.

Awesome, it somehow double posted.

Plus I was talking about the point I made not gonna go through pages to find theirs when we all said the same thing haha.

NoiseHERO
Mar 31, 2012, 01:43 AM
Some how this became about who said what first?

I say things ALL THE TIME that people just end up ignoring then repeating themselves. e_e

Ark22
Mar 31, 2012, 01:46 AM
Some how this became about who said what first?

I say things ALL THE TIME that people just end up ignoring then repeating themselves. e_e

I just wanted to tell the TC what I personally think on it releasing outside of Japan. People says things before others, shit happens. As long as the point gets across. Thus happiness is spread.

SELENNA
Mar 31, 2012, 02:18 AM
I'm 100 % sure they're waiting for E3 to announce an international release.

r00tabaga
Mar 31, 2012, 09:09 AM
What's with the double posting?

lostinseganet
Mar 31, 2012, 09:13 AM
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/30/sega-canceling-games-cutting-jobs-in-us-and-europe-to-restructu/#continued
http://forums.sega.com/showthread.php?403660-Sega-s-financial-problems&

They are laying off A LOT of the testers, and Public Relations people in North America. So they are putting a lot of faith in Europe instead of America. If I remember correctly when dreamcast pso was in its death throws Europe servers lasted months longer than Americas...Perhaps they will make pso for japan and Europe and not punish Americans for logging into Europe/ jpn servers. Yet there will be no actual north American servers. :(

They did say alot of games are going to be cut.

Alex Longstride
Mar 31, 2012, 11:02 AM
English localization, if done in Europe, could actually be better (as in, REAL actors and better translation instead of the half-assed stuff that SOA does). Maybe this is a good thing. I have no problem with playing on European servers.

youcantcatchtheblue
Mar 31, 2012, 11:04 AM
PSO2 is one of SEGA's biggest upcoming games. They've put so much effort into this and are actually going out of their way to market the game in Japan. I've seen a lot of games get ignored by SEGA with little to no marketing, so I'm pretty sure SEGA wants PSO2 to be a big hitter.

They would be stupid not to bring this to the west after they've put so much effort into it. The fact still holds that MMO's are more successful outside of Japan than inside.

lostinseganet
Mar 31, 2012, 11:34 AM
English localization, if done in Europe, could actually be better (as in, REAL actors and better translation instead of the half-assed stuff that SOA does). Maybe this is a good thing. I have no problem with playing on European servers.It would be better than nothing. I have a feeling that PC will be for japan and a console version will be for America. That way they can control the hacks easier...in their minds.

Ark22
Mar 31, 2012, 11:49 AM
When the beta comes out people can always data mine it and see if they have worked on the translations. If they did we will get it (I can guarantee we will get it anyways), if not it's canceled. They could have worked on something, even the smallest thing like the start menu.

BWS-1
Mar 31, 2012, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't mind playing with only subs and original Japanese voices. I don't see why it couldn't be a possibility. Menus and items translated? Cool. Subs for whenever someone opens their mouth as an option? Awesome. I could go for just that. Needless to say, a lot of money would be saved.

Scyris
Mar 31, 2012, 03:11 PM
Since pso2 will be f2p I wonder if they will be IP-blocking non-japan countries, or if they will allow us to play on the jp servers at all. I kinda wanan try the game, even though I cannot read japanese, I can place kanji etc with items and such via trial and error (hell i cleared ff8 japanese ver with no help this way).

Macman
Mar 31, 2012, 11:41 PM
I have no problem with playing on European servers.Be careful what you say there. You want the game to have as much lag as westerners playing the alpha through the whole game?

Beating on a monster only to see a clusterfuck of damage pop-up 30 seconds later does not sound fun to me.

Alex Longstride
Apr 1, 2012, 01:12 PM
Be careful what you say there. You want the game to have as much lag as westerners playing the alpha through the whole game?

Beating on a monster only to see a clusterfuck of damage pop-up 30 seconds later does not sound fun to me.

Europe is a lot closer to North America than Japan is. And besides, Japanese players complained about lag as well from what I hear, so I don't think server location actually has as big an effect on latency as what you're describing. The way the internet works, locale-based latency differences are a matter of milliseconds.

LoveRappy
Apr 1, 2012, 04:38 PM
when the game does come out in North America, i hope they do put up servers located in North America, and lable them "English friendly". i would rather play on servers not located overseas and have a higher English speaking population. they could also update the English servers at usual NA maitainence hours and not at JP hours, so we dont have servers going down in the middle of the day/early night.

Griffin
Apr 1, 2012, 05:07 PM
when the game does come out in North America, i hope they do put up servers located in North America, and lable them "English friendly". i would rather play on servers not located overseas and have a higher English speaking population. they could also update the English servers at usual NA maitainence hours and not at JP hours, so we dont have servers going down in the middle of the day/early night.

Brazilian players never usually care. If they see "F2P", they're going to swarm it and generate language barriers. I don't think Eastern players will hang around with us if they don't have to.

Macman
Apr 1, 2012, 07:38 PM
u gibe arkz cash? huehuehue

Xenobia
Apr 1, 2012, 07:56 PM
Be careful what you say there. You want the game to have as much lag as westerners playing the alpha through the whole game?

The lag does mainly appear at the server or on the last mile connected to the backbone. The backbone itself is incredibly fast. With todays technology i think we can reduce stuff, world wide, to a fraction of a second. Light itself can travel six times around the planet in a single second, fibre connection can theoretically be done with close to lightspeed.

When i played on WoW US server from EU, some servers was at the west coast of US, close where San Francisco is located, connected to the middle of europe. It had a distance of about 10 000 KM or 6500 air miles. The ms was like 300-400 and it was totaly playable. The distance between middle of EU and Tokyo is exactly the same! The ms between EU destinations is less than 100 ms to me. So, going toward US and JP will increase ms by 3-4 times, but not much more. At below 500 ms most games are playable without issues. Under perfect circumstances 300 ms can be attained which will allow for smooth gameplay even. Much more important is to have a stable connection (i dont trust PS Vita on such terms... the accu could bust up, or the connection itself).

Again, dependable on where the server is located in the US, distance can be same such as middle of EU to Tokyo. But 10 000 KM/6500 miles (air) isnt truly hard to tackle with nowadays technology anymore. Decrease in ms doesnt mean to be unplayable, the majority of those issues is server based. Huge spikes of about 1 second and up, is usualy server created. When a server is bad, even a local user can have like 600 ms (barely playable) and the foreigners will have over 1 s (as a result become almost unplayable), but thats not the cables fault. So, the responsiveness of a server is a sign of quality for all around the world, not foreigners only.

There is some technology which does normalize the ms difference between users (so there is no advantage in reaction time), mainly used in EVEonline (very useful at PVP), but not going into detail because it doesnt apply to PSO (unless proven different). EVEonline does contain users from all around the world, and is connected by endless amount of server clusters. There is 50 000 active users from all around the world connected with each others (they are not separated by any means). Just in order to show the possibilitys from a technical aspect.

Witchblade56
Apr 2, 2012, 02:01 AM
If they just stuck an English preference in the programming for say, subtitling for the JP narrative, I'd buy it. Why localize and run the risk of offending loyal a loyal customer base? I honestly don't mind importing the game from Japan. With an English option in the UI, it would save a lot of head ache for programmers and marketing.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I do enjoy how the Japanese voice act their anime and games. I get the context easier than I do listening to an English translation. Then again I've been a longtime fan of anime and other foreign films.

NoiseHERO
Apr 2, 2012, 02:55 AM
If they just stuck an English preference in the programming for say, subtitling for the JP narrative, I'd buy it. Why localize and run the risk of offending loyal a loyal customer base? I honestly don't mind importing the game from Japan. With an English option in the UI, it would save a lot of head ache for programmers and marketing.

I don't know about the rest of you guys but I do enjoy how the Japanese voice act their anime and games. I get the context easier than I do listening to an English translation. Then again I've been a longtime fan of anime and other foreign films.

Yeah sure! Acting will always seem good in a language you don't speak from a culture which you've only seen it's popculture and media!

Seriously if you watch like a 100 Japanese movies you'll realize the acting is just as bad as/easy to criticize as american movies. D:

That doesn't mean dub acting is as good as the original voice acting though, but that would go for all languages... I just felt like talking shit.

moorebounce
Apr 2, 2012, 03:59 AM

My issue with subtitling is you don't really get to see the facial expressions and body language the way it was intended. Your eyes are more focused on reading text than anything else. I know for me I start to get a feel for the character(s) and I can almost guess what they're gonna say and I can skim through the subtitling and see the facial expressions and body language. I love anime movies too but if they release a english dubbed version I'll get that.

Macman
Apr 2, 2012, 06:31 AM
I don't know about the rest of you guys but I do enjoy how the Japanese voice act their anime and games. I get the context easier than I do listening to an English translation. Then again I've been a longtime fan of anime and other foreign films.I didn't care for that black-haired girl's voice in the beta video. It sounded totally separated from the body. Plus the actor/actress was sitting way too close to the mic.

Kion
Apr 2, 2012, 06:49 AM
I don't trust sega or america or europe to localize the game in a timely fashion. I'd rather have the game sooner with english subtitles slapped on top of it rather than having to wait longer for a sub-par localization.

Mike
Apr 2, 2012, 07:42 AM
I didn't care for that black-haired girl's voice in the beta video. It sounded totally separated from the body.

I'm pretty sure that's the point ;)

Macman
Apr 2, 2012, 07:45 AM
I'm pretty sure that's the point ;)To add generic Japanese "MYSTERIOUS PERSON PAY ATTENTION TO HIM/HER" voice to a body that doesn't stand out at all?
I must be missing some JP culture reference, here.

Mike
Apr 2, 2012, 08:17 AM
To add generic Japanese "MYSTERIOUS PERSON PAY ATTENTION TO HIM/HER" voice to a body that doesn't stand out at all?

More or less. The mismatch draws attention to the character.

Macman
Apr 2, 2012, 09:00 AM
To me it just disassociates the character from the story, breaking immersion by being way too jarring. It feels like a cheap dub-over.

r00tabaga
Apr 2, 2012, 10:28 AM
You weren't expecting Mass Effect 3 were you? It was fitting for this game IMO.

Golto
Apr 2, 2012, 06:04 PM
Geniuses at Sega of Japan: Instead of firing the people responsible for Binary Domain, Thor, and Rise of Nightmares lets fire those guys in NA. Gaijins don't deserve q&a'd translations, they enjoy engrish.

Shadownami92
Apr 2, 2012, 07:24 PM
To add generic Japanese "MYSTERIOUS PERSON PAY ATTENTION TO HIM/HER" voice to a body that doesn't stand out at all?
I must be missing some JP culture reference, here.

So far I think she stands out quite a bit, I mean, everyone else is in their super sci fi colorful outfits, while she is just a girl in a plane ol' labcoat. In comparison she sticks out like a sore thumb. Though personally I would love to see labcoats and NPC outfits similar to those in PSO, like what Elli, Rico, or Natasha wore. Or even just the random lab guys.

Macman
Apr 2, 2012, 07:29 PM
I just can't stand the voice. I hear that voice and I expect to hear it coming out of the mouth of some dumb emo brooding teenage boy trying to sound dramatic and mysterious, not from a fully grown woman in a labcoat.

Mike
Apr 2, 2012, 07:43 PM
I hear that voice and I expect to hear it coming out of the mouth of some dumb emo brooding teenage boy trying to sound dramatic and mysterious, not from a fully grown woman in a labcoat.
Once again, that's the point. She probably an alien or computer in disguise or something not all together human and her voice and mannerisms serve to point that out.

Rizen
Apr 2, 2012, 07:50 PM
*coughloucough*

Shadownami92
Apr 2, 2012, 07:55 PM
Once again, that's the point. She probably an alien or computer in disguise or something not all together human and her voice and mannerisms serve to point that out.

To me she sounds like she should be a freaky ghost coming out of a tv screen. I'm just hoping these some sort of evil scientist. Would be awesome if they reveal later that her last name was Osto or something. Would be a pretty sweet throwback.

Tetsaru
Apr 3, 2012, 03:39 AM
I just can't stand the voice. I hear that voice and I expect to hear it coming out of the mouth of some dumb emo brooding teenage boy trying to sound dramatic and mysterious, not from a fully grown woman in a labcoat.

You might wanna read up about the voice actor they hired for her. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megumi_Ogata) She's voiced characters similar to what you've described, lol, including Kurama from Yu-Yu Hakusho, and Yugi from the original Yu-Gi-Oh! series.

And yeah, something tells me there's an important plot device involved with this. Either that, or the chick is just supposed to have a very deep voice. :confused:

pso2love
Apr 3, 2012, 09:58 PM
For the mod who closed the "Pso 2 Possibly canceled" thread, I salute you!

Rock Eastwood Wrote:
"^ For people too dumb;Didn't listen:

> SEGA's focusing on digital content, PSO2 is not only digital content (download only) But it's also a free to play online game.

> A lot of people outside of Japan are excited for this game.

> The way the game is designed is easy to localize. (They have language settings IN the client.)

Way I see it, all they really have to do is take the Japanese client and "localize it" by having the english settings automatically set, where we'd just download it from their english site/buy arkz cash there and probably end up on the same servers as the JP community with their before mentioned "Global Support".

Though that's just a guess."

My thoughts exactly. If only they would advertise it like that....

Then again, ANY English advertisement would be well appreciated over here in the states.

I just hope their servers would be fast enough to keep up with such a worldwide audience.

WinterSnowblind
Apr 4, 2012, 09:44 AM
I think the fact the game is F2P is a very good sign. Potential gameplay/balance issues aside, Japan is pretty much the only country where people would have paid a subscription. If it had one and was released over here.. It would have bombed within weeks. Being F2P seems like a set up to bring it to an audience outside of Japan.. That might just be the likes of Korea and the rest of Asia who tend to prefer F2P games as well, but it's at least a good sign.

Shade_Koopa
Apr 7, 2012, 06:09 PM
I think the fact the game is F2P is a very good sign. Potential gameplay/balance issues aside, Japan is pretty much the only country where people would have paid a subscription. If it had one and was released over here.. It would have bombed within weeks. Being F2P seems like a set up to bring it to an audience outside of Japan.. That might just be the likes of Korea and the rest of Asia who tend to prefer F2P games as well, but it's at least a good sign.

IF the game was P2P, many players outside of the JP would have gladly paid for the game. Knowing that it's F2P, there will be even more players in the game now.

Xenobia
Apr 9, 2012, 07:27 AM
All i can say, as long as PSO2 remains a digital release and even free, then its totaly easy to implement localization data because that kind of system got advantage and disadvantage. For that kind of matter the odds is hitting the strong spot of the system. Can easely be updated with new data, no matter its content. For example at WoW, people simply did download a language pack...its as easy as that for those kind of digital releases. We still can have the server located in JP and play together, whole world, that doesnt matter. That way its much easyer to maintain the servers for Sega because they have everything at same spot. They can easely implement new stuff and execute maintenance , so we all can be equal on any matter, no delay... no lack of content. In term stuff isnt localized on time, simply leave it JP and update later.

I'm assuming they're gonna put PSO2 on steam once it's globally released. It would get HELLA players through steam.

No, ...
F2P digital releases, where people wont be charged in order to get the software, are released in the best way possible without DRM and directly at the source. Sega will have full control about theyr releases, and dont always need to contact Steam in order to update. PSO2 can be shared or what else, it doesnt even matter because Sega isnt actually selling the software, they are selling a ingame service and ingame goodies. A DRM will be cracked sooner or later, its a useless action to implement, regardless of the believes the developers got. Most online games do not have a DRM, with the exception of a serial key, thus not making it the best option to be released on Steam. WoW is released at theyr own source, and its currently the most successfull online game worldwide... A good online game usualy got a launcher, that launcher can upate the software at lightining speed, its almost a must have for powerful online games. Its not required for PSO2, however, its a advantage when the source is the same for any given version of the game, that way its simplified and executions are done more effective.

Steam is a account bound DRM which got the advantage that it will be harder to make a illegal copy, thats the whole purpose of it, pretty much. Almost no one would get Steam in term they got another legal choice without DRM. Sure, absolutly any source such as Steam is able to make some advertisement, but the very best advertisement (for F2P) in my mind is the people itself and theyr ability to share. That kind of advertisement is almost unbeatable and its even free. Steam is not free, they do charge money from the publisher, so its advertisement which comes at a price.

ttdestroy
Apr 10, 2012, 03:07 AM
Sorry bro, but it's prolly gonna be on Steam; Spiral Knights is Sega's F2P benchmark, it's release on Steam brought in tons of business for Sega. They're gonna put PSO2 on the same track simply 'cuz its worked before.

Skyden
Apr 10, 2012, 07:32 AM
I dont really care if its on Steam or Direct Download from SEGA, I have been Waiting Since EPISODE 1 for a NEW PSO, so I think I can get past a Few issues(I dont like STEAM), as long as it makes me feel like the Kid I was ~12 years ago, I dont really care

Ark22
Apr 10, 2012, 07:35 AM
I can if it's on steam just for the overlay system and sometimes it won't support overlay if I add it as a non-steam game haha.

Macman
Apr 10, 2012, 10:50 AM
I can if it's on steam just for the overlay system and sometimes it won't support overlay if I add it as a non-steam game haha.

Amen bro.

Xenobia
Apr 10, 2012, 12:19 PM
In term they chose the path of Steam DRM for a online game, if do offer my condolences.

Ioriya
Apr 10, 2012, 01:04 PM
If its on Steam that means i can pad my game count.

Also being on Steam means more people will know about it and probably end up playing it.

As of right now, there are 4.5 million users logged onto Steam. If Sega/Steam decides to toss PSO2 onto the front page then that would mean more people will know about the existance of PSO2 almost instantly.

Faiyez
Apr 10, 2012, 01:17 PM
AFAIK GameGuard doesn't play nice with Steam, so they would have to address that first.

Vashyron
Apr 10, 2012, 05:38 PM
What GG doesn't play well with is the Steam Overlay. If chosen to be on Steam it could be made to forcefully be off like with the Sega Genesis & Megadrive collection.

Of course I rather them fix that.

ttdestroy
Apr 10, 2012, 11:40 PM
What GG doesn't play well with is the Steam Overlay. If chosen to be on Steam it could be made to forcefully be off like with the Sega Genesis & Megadrive collection.

Of course I rather them fix that.

Have Sega hammer out an agreement to use VAC, that'll teach cheaters a lesson...

Vashyron
Apr 11, 2012, 12:21 AM
Have Sega hammer out an agreement to use VAC, that'll teach cheaters a lesson...

No. VAC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valve_Anti-Cheat) is automatic and if triggered works on delays bans from a week to a month or so.
This is so anyone creating "hacks" can't tell right away if what they have made is "safe" to use. (Or if the person has done various things, they won't be able to know what caused it later if the ban hits them.)

The problem with this in a F2P MMO is that having this sort of delayed system gives people enough time to cause potentially heavy damage to the "economy" if say someone found a method of duping or "creating" Meseta/Arks Cash, even if it was detected only having them banned 1+ Week later is too late to act on this. (Baring the fact they can make another free account and pay for trading again if they desire and repeat the process.)

What should be done is Sega getting of their ass and making sure to fix any potential exploit as quickly as possible.
Trying to also get some people monitoring player data for anything suspicious would be good. (Having something automatic watching for "suspicious behavior" would be good as well.)

ttdestroy
Apr 11, 2012, 12:50 AM
The problem with this in a F2P MMO is that having this sort of delayed system gives people enough time to cause potentially heavy damage to the "economy" if say someone found a method of duping or "creating" Meseta/Arks Cash, even if it was detected only having them banned 1+ Week later is too late to act on this. (Baring the fact they can make another free account and pay for trading again if they desire and repeat the process.)

What should be done is Sega getting of their ass and making sure to fix any potential exploit as quickly as possible.
Trying to also get some people monitoring player data for anything suspicious would be good. (Having something automatic watching for "suspicious behavior" would be good as well.)

If your Steam login is used as your game login, a VAC ban should ban your whole account right? Or at least flag an account for Sega to review. Yes, banning an account is useless, but you could flag email addresses (at least some of them are dumb enough to try to create another account with the same email) and whatever payment method they used on that account.

Vashyron
Apr 11, 2012, 04:51 AM
VAC Bans only bans you from connecting to any VAC secure server of any Steam game. But do you understand the issue with using VAC here?

Pretend this is the situation (A Worst Case Scenario really):

Someone with game ruining intentions just found a method on both "creating" Meseta and Arks Cash, VAC (somehow) detects this and puts this person to be banned in a week.
Meanwhile he buys himself trading ability with the fraud Arks Cash and does thousands of Gacha rolls. Then places everything he can in a player shop for 1 Meseta, sometimes trading random players a Max Stack of Meseta and with the player not caring how it was achieved accepting it anyway.
This goes along for a week+ and potentially more than one person is doing it, then he and others get banned for doing it, but the exploit still exists, they easily make a new account and do it all over again.

CG the game's economy is now permanently "ruined," unless they throw a roll back.

Which is why their best route is to code everything well so the aforementioned situation above is never even possible to begin with.

...This is also getting off topic. :wacko:

Sir Green Aluminum
Apr 11, 2012, 04:50 PM
Really, Sega team needs to step up and learn from past mistakes. Why were all the past PC PSO and PSU games so easily hacked? Needs less client-side stuff, etc.

Really, I'm expecting the magic 1 year of localization until the US version comes out. God I hope Sega of America has changed. Unlike PSU, we don't even have a US website. I also hope they either save time and keep the JP voices or give both options.
But Karen!

Randomness
Apr 11, 2012, 05:10 PM
VAC Bans only bans you from connecting to any VAC secure server of any Steam game. But do you understand the issue with using VAC here?

Pretend this is the situation (A Worst Case Scenario really):

Someone with game ruining intentions just found a method on both "creating" Meseta and Arks Cash, VAC (somehow) detects this and puts this person to be banned in a week.
Meanwhile he buys himself trading ability with the fraud Arks Cash and does thousands of Gacha rolls. Then places everything he can in a player shop for 1 Meseta, sometimes trading random players a Max Stack of Meseta and with the player not caring how it was achieved accepting it anyway.
This goes along for a week+ and potentially more than one person is doing it, then he and others get banned for doing it, but the exploit still exists, they easily make a new account and do it all over again.

CG the game's economy is now permanently "ruined," unless they throw a roll back.

Which is why their best route is to code everything well so the aforementioned situation above is never even possible to begin with.

...This is also getting off topic. :wacko:

And why can't VAC be set to immediately ban? It's a matter of changing ONE line of code. ONE. Presumably, the program generates a random value and uses that for the time delay. Instead, choose 0. Insta ban. Also, any VAC triggers could be forwarded to SEGA for review.

Just because it currently uses time-delayed bans does not mean it can't be set to act differently.

Vashyron
Apr 11, 2012, 06:41 PM
And why can't VAC be set to immediately ban? It's a matter of changing ONE line of code. ONE. Presumably, the program generates a random value and uses that for the time delay. Instead, choose 0. Insta ban. Also, any VAC triggers could be forwarded to SEGA for review.

Just because it currently uses time-delayed bans does not mean it can't be set to act differently.

Better, but I doubt Valve would budge. The person can just use throw away accounts until he finds an exploit he doesn't get triggered for a instant ban.

Then again I'm not entirely sure how VAC works internally.

It would still be better if they put everything essential to be handled by the server directly so no potential game ruining exploits are even possible, rather than band-aid them with a 3rd party tool. (Like they try to currently do with GG.)

kiosda
Apr 14, 2012, 01:25 AM
truthfully i dont feel like reading the hole thread so im not sure what we left on but these are the updates for the beta testing all summed up in the description
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehrVNC0SJF0&feature=BFa&list=UU8EinVZIo8C9yttxf-Z9r_w&lf=plcp

-Confirmed for PC
-Confirmed for Vita (with PC crossplay and lowered graphics)
-Smartphone support (although gameplay features are limited)
-Symbol Chat returns
-A few new animations
-A few new weapons and abilities
-RPG elements apparently. Storymode missions look more engaging than PSUs did.
-The game will be free to Download + Free to Play with purchasable items.

Observations:

-RANGER : Homing Laser PA
-RANGER : Can crouch and go into Prone position? Wow, unexpected.
-FORCE : Gifoie, Gibarta, Rabarta all seem to be in PSO form. This is a good thing.
-FORCE : Grants actually does what its PSO description says it did. Awesome.
-HUNTER : ALOT of new PAS for old weapons, and the Partisan looks awesome.

Skyly
Apr 14, 2012, 03:06 AM
I'm playing it no matter what. In JP or EN.

BUT anyone have ideas on why an official EN version hasn't been announced?

ClothoBuer
Apr 14, 2012, 03:11 AM

Can't announce a game that isn't finished in its country of origin.

RocSage
Apr 14, 2012, 03:15 AM

Because it is SEGA. They did the same thing with PSO, PSO ep3, PSO:BB, PSU, PSU:AoI... why wouldn't they do it with PSO2? Though one could technically they announced this years ago as all the E3 stuff back in the day before PSU was announced was called PSO2 and it looks more like PSO2 stuff even today.

ttdestroy
Apr 14, 2012, 06:25 AM
Better, but I doubt Valve would budge. The person can just use throw away accounts until he finds an exploit he doesn't get triggered for a instant ban.

Then again I'm not entirely sure how VAC works internally.

It would still be better if they put everything essential to be handled by the server directly so no potential game ruining exploits are even possible, rather than band-aid them with a 3rd party tool. (Like they try to currently do with GG.)

If this has no single player mode I don't see why their anti-hack system isn't server-side, and seems stupid and/or lazy, or likely they really don't care if ~5% of the population hacks as long as they make money from the rest of us.

More on topic: Sega drags their feet on everything that doesn't have Sonic attached to it, but I'll give them some leeway since this is an F2P game and it prolly has been alot of the text to translate.

RocSage
Apr 14, 2012, 07:01 AM
it prolly has been alot of the text to translate.

I haven't looked at everything but I would bet not... at least not the stuff that make the game playable. All the surface stuff that isn't for story is probably just english in katakana form like it was with PSU. So it's not "translating" so much as "transcribing" in a different set of symbols.

Most of the work translating comes from the story stuff and the voice acting, as I see that there is at least a tiny bit to do. Any one of us could do the rest, because, like I said, most of it is already in "english" just Katakana english

Aiex
Apr 15, 2012, 04:53 PM
The settings you can access from the beta launcher has a language menu that wasn't there in the character creator. I don't think there's any question that Sega has plans to localize, but people will him-and-haw about it until it's officially announced.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 15, 2012, 07:38 PM
I'd be fine if they left the voices in Japanese as long as there was an option for English subtitles. Redoing the voice acting is the most time-consuming and expensive part of localization (assuming there's a fair bit of voice acting). But, on the other hand, a fair portion of the English-speaking market might be turned off by Japanese voice-acting.

r00tabaga
Apr 15, 2012, 08:46 PM
Does anyone prefer English over the Japanes VA'ing? Not only does it cost $, it wastes time & it is usually very poor.

ClothoBuer
Apr 15, 2012, 09:11 PM
Does anyone prefer English over the Japanes VA'ing? Not only does it cost $, it wastes time & it is usually very poor.

Unfortunately there are, mostly lazy people who complain about reading and not being able to just listen, but yes, there are people who would rather have EN voices over JP.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 15, 2012, 09:26 PM
Here in this community, you'd probably be right: a lot of people here (myself included) would likely choose the Japanese VO over the English if there were a choice between the two. However, outside of this community (and any community revolving around a JP game or anime or whatever), a lot of people want to hear the VO in their language and not have to read subtitles. 'Tis just the way it is.

Ryoten
Apr 15, 2012, 10:50 PM

I, for one, prefer both. The voice acting can be on the 'meh' side for both JP & EN sometimes but on the other hand, reading the subtitles is like a learning experience for me. For example, the VAs for Goku has its moments in JP but EN brings out the 'feel' of the character. Try playing some games that'll allow you to change VAs & listen to them.

Ark22
Apr 16, 2012, 03:22 PM
Credits, but in English

Not translated, but it's in full English, yep it's coming to America.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgGW9oKRWUc

Griffin
Apr 16, 2012, 03:54 PM
Being a native English speaker, who am I to be able to judge whether Japanese voice acting is bad when it's something I'm not even used to? It's easier to judge what you understand so of course some Americans are going to think Japanese VA sounds "better".

SLASHXGEAR
Apr 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
i wonder how long it will take them to get it localized.

Misto
Apr 16, 2012, 04:08 PM
Credits, but in English

Phantasy Star Online 2 Credits English - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgGW9oKRWUc)

As I mentioned with another, English credits being present in a Japanese game aren't definitive. I owned a few Japanese games that never made it outside of Japan yet the credit were in English and Japanese.

Ark22
Apr 16, 2012, 04:55 PM
Lol, they have one for Japanese and one for English.

Misto
Apr 16, 2012, 05:55 PM
They do, but that doesn't make a release definitive. I'm not saying it probably won't but it's not conclusive evidence of such.

ClothoBuer
Apr 16, 2012, 05:56 PM
i wonder how long it will take them to get it localized.

Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything, as the particular files needed to swap the languages aren't there. But, we can still hold out hope that there'll be an announcement from SoA sometime within the year for PSO2.

njdss4
Apr 19, 2012, 12:50 AM
Unfortunately, it doesn't do anything, as the particular files needed to swap the languages aren't there. But, we can still hold out hope that there'll be an announcement from SoA sometime within the year for PSO2.

Really sad that we'll most likely have to wait that long. Does SoA really not understand that the game is popular here? If completely new IP F2P MMOs are localized and released here, why not PSO right from launch? :-?

Macman
Apr 19, 2012, 01:21 AM
Probably because SoA is in super paranoia mode after pretty much gutting their entire staff.

Anon_Fire
Apr 19, 2012, 01:33 AM
Credits, but in English

Phantasy Star Online 2 Credits English - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgGW9oKRWUc)

It was a lie. I just got on the client and the credits were japanese on my end.

moremouse
Apr 21, 2012, 09:28 AM
It was a lie. I just got on the client and the credits were japanese on my end.

A comment on the Youtube link indicated that the English credits existed in an older client - removed on the latest client. Who knows?

White
Apr 21, 2012, 10:33 PM
This has never been a matter of if. Its really of when. I really dont want to be waiting a solid year for this game, i try my best to be saintly, but saintly patience is something I do not have. I give them until E3 (June 5-7 I think).

Totori
Apr 21, 2012, 11:17 PM
E3 , don't worry SEGA is working on something. PSO2 is something they wouldn't miss out on, it's phantasy star after all!

Sanada Yukimura
Apr 22, 2012, 04:39 AM
A western release would be nice. but just look a PSU. NA PSU compared to JP PSU... dat shi cray
i think playing in JP servers would be a better idea

AynRand
Apr 22, 2012, 04:44 AM
Seperating servers has always been bad, I liked PSO for having the option, challenge mode with Japanese players tended to work better than on EU/US servers. PSU was too seperated even amongst platforms, other games it creates problems, WOW not being able to play EU/US, seems recently more and more MMO are giving the option to role on a sever of your choice across territories.

Even if it is only released on JP initially there are english translation edits for the beta that have been put up for people to edit the game client.

11 years for a true sequel. Hopefully it wont be another 102 for release

Xenobia
Apr 23, 2012, 07:00 AM
Its kinda impressive that some coders already succeeded into translation of like half the game and they even had to "crack" the access which took them only a few days. Thats a good example how easy it could be done for Sega.

Its not that Sega is not able or something else, just a act of willpower i think. Currently they only focus JP market and no intention to translate, thats why they wont even answer questions regarding this. Although, in future the implemention of EN settings is almost unavoidable. If i would be Sega, it would be translated already, for the sake of economy... not because of compassion. Over time i feel i would get more bucks from rich foreigners which is a increasing market, even in PSO2 its constantly increasing. Mainwhile JP itself kinda is a market which is already over saturated, the potency to increase is much lower.

Besides PSU didnt only suffer from server splitting (and many foreigners used the JP server), it even had a half a..ed support and it was always behind in content and just had less of everything, while still charging full bucks on a P2P condition (honestly, what for?). Im glad that time is over and finally Sega noticed its failure.

Itoshi
Apr 23, 2012, 10:39 AM
Honestly I could see SEGA unveiling a US version of this at E3. It would be a smart decision because at the point of development and the shear quality of the game, it would blow some people away. People that weren't already fans of PSO would definitely be converted.

Totori
Apr 23, 2012, 11:50 AM
Honestly I could see SEGA unveiling a US version of this at E3. It would be a smart decision because at the point of development and the shear quality of the game, it would blow some people away. People that weren't already fans of PSO would definitely be converted.

Yep, yep it makes the most since~

Macman
Apr 24, 2012, 03:51 AM
Yep, yep it makes the most sense~Which is exactly why it's not going to happen. This is Sega we're talking about here. :wacko:

Enforcer MKV
Apr 24, 2012, 04:11 AM
Which is exactly why it's not going to happen. This is Sega we're talking about here. :wacko:

I dunno, Sega has been cleaning up their a- *looks at the cash shop for PSO2*..

o-ok, so maybe there's some cause for concern. *facepalm* SEGA -> :chuck-ball:<- us.

Du1337
Apr 24, 2012, 09:21 AM
I have good experience with JP-players/servers in the past:
I remember in PSO on the Cube, when a monster dropped a redbox, the players all ran as fast as they could, JUST to SEE what it was. After that, there was a short discussion in bad English who could have it :D. Very friendly, very helpfull.

In the EU/US servers that was different... U get commands to "F*cking heal.... and give MY buffs..."

ttdestroy
Apr 24, 2012, 11:51 AM
I have good experience with JP-players/servers in the past:
I remember in PSO on the Cube, when a monster dropped a redbox, the players all ran as fast as they could, JUST to SEE what it was. After that, there was a short discussion in bad English who could have it :D. Very friendly, very helpfull.

In the EU/US servers that was different... U get commands to "F*cking heal.... and give MY buffs..."

I gotta say playing with US PSO players in PSO Ep. 1 & 2, turned me off from being a support character in every other MMO. "I'm not your heal b***h!"

Totori
Apr 24, 2012, 12:00 PM
I do find healing the party much harder in PSO2, but like I have always been I'm still going to be the support character of the group.

Konflyk
Apr 25, 2012, 01:08 AM
Not sure if this has been brought up as I don't want to read 24 pages, but what does everyone think of(also based off a small discussion in the PSO2 lobby);

SoJ managing servers, and having one universal server that we all connect to, instead of another PSU mistake by SoA/E where we are seperated from Japan, being behind in content, etc.

Translations done by SoA/E only by this I mean strictly translations, maybe server handling to reduce latency for western players, but these servers will be acting like a repeater (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repeater) to boost signal; that or keep things as they are and we continue to translate as we see fit, as a community.

This isn't all well thought out I'm sure someone will see a flaw with my logic(idea), feel free to add-on, also didn't feel like making a seperate thread as this one is about regional release, so I felt it would be fine here. Also feel free to fill in or correct anything as you see fit.

Zeo_Forsaken
Apr 25, 2012, 01:47 AM
I do find healing the party much harder in PSO2, but like I have always been I'm still going to be the support character of the group.

Not only is it harder, but it's innacurate as well. I've had times where someone was on top of me, and wasn't being healed, then smashed to death. I still feel like it's my fault, even when I know its not. Having to spend so much photon energy just to heal for one click.. Kind of 'not good'.

I've tested in lobbies. and people can run into the AoE late for HP, but I've watched people in the 10-20hp range run in and get +0hp. They really need to fix it. Weather it be lag, or the game itself, something has got to give.

Metsume
Apr 26, 2012, 08:38 AM
Totori, I can relate with you completely. I've found myself running towards players, trying to heal them, only for them to move as soon as I cast. In most battles, I can just throw a talis at a group of enemies and be able to heal most melee fighters, but during boss fights, I've had the hardest time trying to hunt someone down as they're moving all around the area. They move out of Resta's reach or away from the talis I throw on them.

I'm hoping they make it easier to heal, somehow... Maybe higher level Resta will have a much larger reach. I'm still going to be supporting regardless. hahah

Sidney
Apr 26, 2012, 09:43 AM
Agreed with the resta complaints completely and utterly! Also, how do you throw a talis with a spell on it/cast from the talis? :lol: Is the talis different from the card part? I have been wondering for ages!

Tolaryn
Apr 27, 2012, 02:05 AM
Honestly, from my little bit of Force experience... if they'd just extend the range of Resta a bit more... I think it'd be better. Classic PSO range would be preferable. Especially considering the wider variety of range you have in play in PSO2. It just seems silly that a faster and longer range PSO would have a shorter range Resta.

Eggobandit
Apr 27, 2012, 02:18 AM
Im almost positive resta's range was reduced from Alpha Test 2. The amount healed was also drastically reduced.

Witchblade56
Apr 27, 2012, 07:33 AM
Well players should understand then why they keep dying if they run out of healing range now.

Macman
Apr 27, 2012, 08:24 AM
The thing is healing range is so tiny, and even if you realize the FO 5 feet behind you casted Resta you could run back and still not get any HP... You pretty much need to be in it and stay in it the entire time which is almost impossible without some chat macros.

Chaosie
Apr 27, 2012, 08:42 AM
I actually considered this is where the talis might be useful to getting heals to people far away from me. Turns out that the talis can be a real pain in the butt to use consistently, especially when your initial reaction to everyones HP dropping off is OMG MUST HEAL NOW XD;