PDA

View Full Version : Mar. 2nd Blog: Boost Enemies

Mike
Mar 2, 2012, 03:04 AM
The official blog (http://ameblo.jp/sega-psblog/entry-11180017028.html) was updated today with a "new" aspect of PSO2 that we didn't see in either alpha: boost enemies.

Boost enemies are stronger than normal enemies. It's usage in the Phantasy Star series started in Zero where boost enemies had white shadows. This expounded upon in Portable 2/Infinity with boosted enemies have three different types of auras depending on the amount they were boosted. Defeating a boost enemy granted you more money, exp, and a better chance for a drop. In PSO2, boost enemies will work in a similar way. They will be stronger than regular enemies but have a better chance of droping good items.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25511
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25512
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25513

As you can see, there's also a story reason for why boost creatures exist. The Boba-Fett helmet-like thing coming out of this urdan's head is a Darker and has infected it's host's body. It also acts as the weak point for a boost monster.

There were also a few design pics for the RAmarl, FOmar, and NPCs posted.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25514

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25515

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25516

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25517

The back of the FOmar's hat looks like a rabbit's head.

Rei-San
Mar 2, 2012, 03:07 AM
It's coming out of its eye... EEEWWWWW.... O_~

Demon-
Mar 2, 2012, 03:23 AM
Awesome, I loved boost enemies. Glad to see they will be in this. Also finally the RAmarl sketch cool.

Hentai_Kittie
Mar 2, 2012, 03:43 AM
They really are taking the best from all the games and combining it into one. And to think, this board was in chaos over what PSO2 was more influenced by before the first alpha. xD

kyuuketsuki
Mar 2, 2012, 03:50 AM
So do boost enemies take the place of rare enemies or are we going to have both?

ttdestroy
Mar 2, 2012, 04:10 AM
Wow, I'll I'm really liking these character designs, the Ramarl is really awesome.

Oh and yada yada boosted enemies are great. ;-)

NoiseHERO
Mar 2, 2012, 04:14 AM
That tumor must be driving him insane. That bobafet shaped tumor.

Mike
Mar 2, 2012, 05:12 AM
So do boost enemies take the place of rare enemies or are we going to have both?
Boost enemies are, if the system works like it did in previous games, seperate from rare enemies.

Astarin
Mar 2, 2012, 10:30 AM
I hope they'll have boosted mini-bosses. I really loved the boost enemy concept in PS Zero, where they first appeared. In that game, you'd have rare rooms filled with mini-bosses. I remember getting royally eff'd a couple times, with my frail force, by having a room full of Hildebear-like enemies lead by a crazy boost version that kept one-shotting me. Good times!

Also, concept art - awesome. Do. Want. To. Play.

ClothoBuer
Mar 2, 2012, 11:57 AM
Nice to see they're sticking with a good thing, boosted enemies were a fun little implementation in PSP2/i, so I'm pleased. And good Lord these Ranger concept arts! I have yet to see one that looks in any way unappealing!

Omega-z
Mar 2, 2012, 12:02 PM
The first Pic I saw made me think it was a giant Zit and hoping it didn't pop.:)

Just an after thought, the shielded enemies are going to be fun especially the Lizard one.:rappy:

Carma
Mar 2, 2012, 12:02 PM
I love all these character sheets, I'm glad the dev team share them with us.

The back of the FOmar's hat looks like a rabbit's head.

Cannot unsee XD

SELENNA
Mar 2, 2012, 01:58 PM
Glad to see this. Game keeps getting better, now I just hope we see a lot of cool environments and more traditional maps!

SilverFoxR
Mar 2, 2012, 03:40 PM
Anyone else think "Noel Vermillion" when they saw the RAmarl concept art (which is fitting, since she uses 2 guns)?

I wonder how many people are going to make copies of her for this game... XD

Omega-z
Mar 2, 2012, 04:28 PM
one odd thing I notice is that every character holding there weapons or when punching is in a G.I. JOE pose hold and not griping the weapon or making a fist,lol. I understand back in the day they did that but these days you would think they would chance things like that when improving and moving the game forward.

8BitGinno
Mar 2, 2012, 05:29 PM
Looking nice! Boosted enemies are definitely cool, and I'm liking the concept art for RAmarl and FOmar more than I did for RAnewearl. :)

DoctorShanks
Mar 2, 2012, 05:41 PM
Boosted enemies in PSZ were actually quite fun to down and I'm glad they're returning in PSO2. They had a little more than double HP and they never ever seemed to miss even when under Jellen effect. Suddenly I miss having 2 minute long battles with a boosted Zaphobos Dyna.

I've never played PSP2, but can someone explain how boosted enemies worked in that game? More specifically, the three different types of auras?

moorebounce
Mar 2, 2012, 06:01 PM
That tumor must be driving him insane. That bobafet shaped tumor.

Sega will probably change that either if they get enough people say it or so George Lucas won't take them to court over it.

aozora
Mar 2, 2012, 06:56 PM
So, didn't bother to see if this was a repost or not but here goes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuOdozF5T1M

Apparently Sakai is part of this "PS Vita Game Heaven" event on 3/9.

On today's blog Sakai mentions at the end in pink

今日の新要素なんて序の口、皆さんをアッっと驚かせるようなニュースを準備中です。
ぜひご期待ください!

Translates to "Todays new features are just the beginning, we are preparing some news to make everyone surprised"

Sounds like something may be coming for VITA as well??

Mike
Mar 2, 2012, 07:11 PM
Sounds like something may be coming for VITA as well??

It may but the pink text at the bottom is referring to PSO2 news. It was promised that there would be new info almost every week in March in a previous blog and the Vita isn't mentioned anywhere during the newest blog entry.

EDIT: Another new Phantasy Star game is good too. :D

Kent
Mar 2, 2012, 07:19 PM
So boosted enemies are basically like superuniques in Diablo II?

That is a sensible addition to the series, since it's basically the same sort of thing with a different control method.

Mike
Mar 2, 2012, 07:23 PM
So boosted enemies are basically like superuniques in Diablo II?

That is a sensible addition to the series, since it's basically the same sort of thing with a different control method.
Going on D2 terms, boosted monsters are more like champion monsters. Stronger than regular enemies but weaker than bosses.

Dhylec
Mar 2, 2012, 08:53 PM
Boosted monsters are a welcome to the game. They've been around since PSZ, keep them.

Now, with the last 2 classes revealed, I guess it completes the whole race/class set.

This finally realized what I wished for in PSO...
[spoiler-box]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/dhylec/psoall.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

SpishackCola
Mar 2, 2012, 10:05 PM
So, are the bells on the RAmarl's beret to give enemies a chance to run, knowing that she's coming?

moorebounce
Mar 2, 2012, 11:40 PM
I played a little bit of PSZero but never remember coming across infected or boosted enemies. I'm just not a big fan of handheld games. Maybe I need to start playing it again and paying more attention. lol Don't get me wrong I loved what I played of PSZero just couldn't get past the low end graphics of the DS.

Caerik
Mar 3, 2012, 12:06 AM
Glad to see Boost enemies make it into the game. Horrified of what that thing protruding from his eye looks like... Not what I wanted to see this late.

SilverFoxR
Mar 3, 2012, 01:19 AM
I played a little bit of PSZero but never remember coming across infected or boosted enemies. I'm just not a big fan of handheld games. Maybe I need to start playing it again and paying more attention. lol Don't get me wrong I loved what I played of PSZero just couldn't get past the low end graphics of the DS.

If you're a graphics "w***e", the DS isn't always the best to go with... though PSZ is one of the prettier games for the console.

Basicly, boosted enemies are slight variants of original enemies. Even if you only played a little bit, it's actually very likely you've seen the boosted variety. Basicly, the enemy is a different colour/pattern than the original and tends to be a bit harder (but gives better rewards). The other version of these variants were "white shadow" versions, where their shadow glowed white instead of black.

I've hunted Boosted Variants a lot in PSZ in order to get specific rares (which are still hard to find).

Having them in PSO2 will make things interesting... and probably a lot more fun.

Dinosaur
Mar 3, 2012, 01:24 AM
Boosted monsters + PSE Bursts sounds hectic in a good way.

NoiseHERO
Mar 3, 2012, 02:29 AM
I'm glad people can rely on boosted monsters and PSEs to increase their luck/chances at what I hope will be plenty of rares.

I never wanna hear about that questionably useless level 3 luck ever again. @_@

lostinseganet
Mar 3, 2012, 06:45 AM
There are so many characters with bells. I wonder if they will have a hidden purpose.

Miyoko
Mar 3, 2012, 09:40 AM
God damnit. Apparently I'm the only person who hates boosted monsters, so I'm kind of pissed to hear about this. Not once, NOT ONCE, have I EVER got a better drop from a boosted monster. Whenever one pops up, I just groan, because they have an absolutely retarded health boost for a non-resistant item boost. I have to spend forever killing a much more dangerous enemy for no extra reward.

Granted, if they make the drop boost actually count for something, then sure I'll be for this! I just hope it does :l

DoubleCannon
Mar 3, 2012, 10:51 AM
I just basically yelled F*** YES! This is one of the things i dreamed about this game having lol. For anyone who still does not understand what a booster monster is or whatnot its

An enemy who becomes like 2x more powerful, big hp boost, challenge to fight. Boosted enemy do not replace rares infact rares can become boosted aswell like in PSZ. I do hope they do the route of psp 2i where there can be different levels of boost. FFX-2 was the first time I seen a thing where monster could be powered up and much harder to kill and always wished for a thing like this in PSO.. and PSZ made me a really happy camper and now this! Rockbear boosted haha. should make the replay value that much better :)

lostinseganet
Mar 3, 2012, 12:35 PM
Boosted monsters are a welcome to the game. They've been around since PSZ, keep them.

Now, with the last 2 classes revealed, I guess it completes the whole race/class set.

This finally realized what I wished for in PSO...
[spoiler-box]
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v432/dhylec/psoall.jpg
[/spoiler-box]
Where does the long lost duckman fit into your grand scheme?
I lov seeing all this old protype pso stuff (^_^). Oh the memories...of better dreams forever casted in our hearts.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2619987&postcount=186

moorebounce
Mar 3, 2012, 01:29 PM
If you're a graphics "w***e", the DS isn't always the best to go with... though PSZ is one of the prettier games for the console.

Basicly, boosted enemies are slight variants of original enemies. Even if you only played a little bit, it's actually very likely you've seen the boosted variety. Basicly, the enemy is a different colour/pattern than the original and tends to be a bit harder (but gives better rewards). The other version of these variants were "white shadow" versions, where their shadow glowed white instead of black.

I've hunted Boosted Variants a lot in PSZ in order to get specific rares (which are still hard to find).

Having them in PSO2 will make things interesting... and probably a lot more fun.

I played some PSZ last night and came across a boosted enemy. The boosted enemy I come across looked like a smaller version of what the Alpha2 videos call the "Rock Bear" boss. After playing it PSO2 is pretty much the handheld PSO games. I mentioned that in some of my earlier posts but it's been so long I kind of forgot. lol

I remember telling a friend if they made a console version of PSZ I would be line to buy it when it dropped.

NoiseHERO
Mar 3, 2012, 02:58 PM
God damnit. Apparently I'm the only person who hates boosted monsters, so I'm kind of pissed to hear about this. Not once, NOT ONCE, have I EVER got a better drop from a boosted monster. Whenever one pops up, I just groan, because they have an absolutely retarded health boost for a non-resistant item boost. I have to spend forever killing a much more dangerous enemy for no extra reward.

Granted, if they make the drop boost actually count for something, then sure I'll be for this! I just hope it does :l

I actually see where you're coming from, ESPECIALLY when you're soloing or even a duo. Or you're just like fighting a series of really annoying powerful monsters like the end of this one moatoob relics missions. 3 out of 9 of them would be red buffed.

The red buffs for me are more of a burden than anything. The rainbow ones are the ones that matter.. Yet the rainbow buffs are ALWAYS on weak fodder monsters that don't drop anything. Then in BOTH cases a monomate SURE was worth killing said monster for 5x it's HP... At least they drop a lot of money or a high % weapon/armor otherwise.

moorebounce
Mar 3, 2012, 03:39 PM

I actually didn't get anything good from the boosted enemies I killed last night either now that I think about it. Actually they didn't drop anything at all. I think the drop rate is increased but that doesn't say they'll drop something every time.

EtherForce
Mar 3, 2012, 06:21 PM
I think it would be cool if rare monsters could have a "boosted" version as well, you know, to help you with those incredibly rare drops.

I didn't really notice this until now but all the costumes seem to have a "mechanized" look to them. Kind of interesting, though I would like some "normal" clothes as well.

Mike
Mar 3, 2012, 08:51 PM
I think it would be cool if rare monsters could have a "boosted" version as well, you know, to help you with those incredibly rare drops.

I think it's more than likely that rare enemies will be able to be boosted since it was possible for rare enemies to be boosted in both Zero and Portable 2/Infinity.

Alexvrb
Mar 3, 2012, 11:38 PM
So boosted enemies are basically like superuniques in Diablo II?Diablo II, eh? Just as long as we don't get any "Zonde Enchanted, Technique Immune" Uniques while I'm playing a Melee Force. "I'll just beat him to death with my stick..." Zapzapzapzapzap~!

They really are taking the best from all the games and combining it into one. And to think, this board was in chaos over what PSO2 was more influenced by before the first alpha. xDNot to mention spines. SPINES!

moorebounce
Mar 4, 2012, 01:25 AM
Where does the long lost duckman fit into your grand scheme?
I lov seeing all this old protype pso stuff (^_^). Oh the memories...of better dreams forever casted in our hearts.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2619987&postcount=186

Wow you can see where they're putting some of that old PSO prototype stuff into PSO2. Good find.

Kent
Mar 4, 2012, 02:37 AM
Diablo II, eh? Just as long as we don't get any "Zonde Enchanted, Technique Immune" Uniques while I'm playing a Melee Force. "I'll just beat him to death with my stick..." Zapzapzapzapzap~!
Well, it should be noted that "magic immune" in Diablo II meant specifically "magic" damage (as in, the kind of damage inflicted exclusively by Holy Bolt, Magic Hammer, Teeth, Bone Spear, Bone Spirit, Magic Arrow and Berserk - or as an added effect from weapons, of course).

As much ire as lightning enchanted enemies drew (and duly so), that kind of randomness in finding a superunique enemy and not knowing what to expect or prepare for beforehand was actually a lot of fun - especially since they would almost always drop at least rare-quality (yellow-named) items. At long as these boosted enemies spew loot when I pop them, I am completely okay with their addition.

...How insane would it be if bosses could spawn as boosted enemies though?

NoiseHERO
Mar 4, 2012, 03:04 AM
Dumans should be able to suck the blood of darkers and infected monsters.

RikkiBlackNanobeast
Mar 4, 2012, 05:40 AM

To make sure this doesn't get mentioned or considered again, even for Dumans that can do that, sparkling in the sunlight will make them bad forever.

NoiseHERO
Mar 4, 2012, 07:45 AM
Dumans should sparkle in the sunlight.

Mike
Mar 4, 2012, 08:03 AM
Dewmen will only sparkle if beasts some how make the trip with them.

Ghost Inside
Mar 4, 2012, 08:07 AM
Like Krory? o.o
http://static2.dmcdn.net/static/video/164/480/32084461:jpeg_preview_medium.jpg?20111213082219

Jinketsu
Mar 4, 2012, 08:20 AM
...How insane would it be if bosses could spawn as boosted enemies though?

I love this concept and hope you're on to something!

kyuuketsuki
Mar 4, 2012, 12:39 PM
Wow you can see where they're putting some of that old PSO prototype stuff into PSO2. Good find.
Yeah. I noticed a piece of concept art in there that closely resembled the default HUmarl outfit, for example.

Ark22
Mar 4, 2012, 12:57 PM
Ok maybe absorb the soul of a fallen darkling and be able to Trans Am. The sucking part seams lame, let's go soul reaver!

Arkios
Mar 6, 2012, 10:02 PM
Does anyone know how enemy spawns work so far in PSO2? While I think having rare enemies and boosted enemies is really cool, there is nothing... and I mean NOTHING worse than dying to one and having to spawn back in town knowing that it won't be there when you return.

I remember playing solo quite a bit and every time I would come across a Hildetorr or Mil Lilly just thinking to myself "Please don't die to megid, please don't die to megid..."

Macman
Mar 7, 2012, 06:38 PM
I remember boost enemies on PSZ.

Boost Phobos that took 5 minutes to kill. :argh:
At least I got a decent Neidaryl for it...

Cayenne
Mar 7, 2012, 09:33 PM
Glad boost enemies are coming to PSO2. Sometimes my team would kill groups real fast in alpha and I'm kinda left with the urge to do more damage to a foe and this should fill that void.