PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 on a "Console"?

NoiseHERO
Mar 4, 2012, 08:22 AM
http://choc-cheese.tumblr.com/post/18702048536/art00r-anamanapanda-rumor-maybe-valve

Maybe you've heard of steams new "console" in the works that basically plays PC games using steam's and other services...

Not completely sure how it works yet, and I'm only half awake reading a couple of articles/reblogs I've seen on Tumblr(That's right I use tumblr)

Wow what the hell am I making threads now.

NB4 nobody reads a damn thing I say and starts going "not this again." in some way shape or form.

youcantcatchtheblue
Mar 4, 2012, 09:30 AM
interesting....

but if it's just a box that runs PC games...... then technically it's just a PC

XD

NoiseHERO
Mar 4, 2012, 09:42 AM
interesting....

but if it's just a box that runs PC games...... then technically it's just a PC

XD

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, but also sounds like a good alternative for casuals in terms of buying a gaming PC. Though from it's parts... Who knows what the price will be... Not sure if that tumblr post brings up the parts.

Technically you could say consoles are just limited PCs as well in most cases. D:

Guess we'll know if it's competition for Alienware or competition for the "XBOX 720/1080" by the time they have those conferences.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 4, 2012, 12:36 PM
This is a really interesting idea, and I think could be a great boon to the PC gaming industry, so I'm all for it. They're going to have to keep the price down for it to be competitive as a console competitor, though.

I don't think it's going to be expensive as you're thinking by the specs; when they say an i7 CPU, I doubt that means an i7-2600k. More likely it'll be a mobile part or something in-between, especially since I'd have to assume they're going for a small form factor.

amtalx
Mar 4, 2012, 12:52 PM
Here's the source article: http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/2/2840932/exclusive-valve-steam-box-gaming-console

It sounds like an interesting idea, particularly with regards to the Alienware X51. The X51 is basically a PC in living-room friendly casing already. The catch is that the cost is still prohibitive for the uninitiated gamer. Even the base model with an i3 is more than twice the cost of current gen console, making it a poor replacement.

Ark22
Mar 4, 2012, 12:53 PM
Sounds beast, I seen it coming with Steam bringing their own consoles. But I ain't counting my eggs yet with PSO2. Was PSO2 confirmed for Steam anyway? So I guess the XBOX360 is no longer the poor mans PC.

•Col•
Mar 4, 2012, 01:17 PM
Cool beans.

If PSO2 is released on Steam, then no one can make the excuse that they can't play PSO2 because they can't afford a gaming pc.

NoiseHERO
Mar 4, 2012, 05:52 PM
I wonder what SEGA would do with steam. But yeah I don't think this thing only play steam games.

Erm not from what I've read at least.

Angelo
Mar 4, 2012, 05:57 PM
I think there's a fairly good chance PSO2 could be on Steam considering how chummy Sega has been with them lately.

Vashyron
Mar 4, 2012, 06:07 PM
It apparently will try to play all PC games, not just the ones on Steam.

Basically a limited PC.

Its a good idea though to attract that crowd of people who think PC gaming is something Alien.

•Col•
Mar 4, 2012, 08:21 PM
All PC games? That's a lot more flexible than what I imagined...

If they get it to work well enough, they're going to make millions.... Tempted to pick one up myself now when it's released.

Ark22
Mar 4, 2012, 08:28 PM
I want it if it's about $300-400

Mag-X
Mar 4, 2012, 08:39 PM
The only way it's going to cost that little is if they sell it at a loss and hope to make it back on game sales.

Jinketsu
Mar 4, 2012, 10:09 PM
This sounds awesome for people that aren't really into building their own PCs but want to play some of the great PC games out there.

r00tabaga
Mar 4, 2012, 10:15 PM
This sounds awesome for people that aren't really into building their own PCs but want to play some of the great PC games out there.

Ahem........ M E

HUnewearl_Meira
Mar 4, 2012, 10:53 PM
I wonder what SEGA would do with steam.

They'd release a bunch of Sonic and Total War games, along with some Genesis & Dreamcast re-releases. Observe. (http://store.steampowered.com/publisher/SEGA)

MelancholyWitch
Mar 4, 2012, 10:59 PM
Makes me think how badly gaming is going these days with all these re-releases and classic games being brought back.

moorebounce
Mar 4, 2012, 11:11 PM
Actually it would be better to put it on the Onlive service. The only limit on visuals would be their imaginations and players wouldn't have to worry about their setup because all the visuals are taken care of server side. Actually everything is taken care of server side.

Dre_o
Mar 4, 2012, 11:22 PM
Actually it would be better to put it on the Onlive service. The only limit on visuals would be their imaginations and players wouldn't have to worry about their setup because all the visuals are taken care of server side. Actually everything is taken care of server side.

There are very distinct problems with that: Internet connection being one of them. Without a pretty good connection you can't use Onlive.

There is also input lag, combine that with the fact that there might be server lag and you get something that could be near unplayable. There is also visual artifacting since you're basically playing a game via stream but thats the whole "graphics" argument.

moorebounce
Mar 4, 2012, 11:32 PM
Makes me think how badly gaming is going these days with all these re-releases and classic games being brought back.

lol you must hate everything because thats all TV, gaming and movies do. It's kind of hard to put your money on something unproven. Sega tried it with the Dreamcast and the gamers didn't back them up. Sega was releasing a lot of crazy ideas on the Dreamcast and they got no love for it. All those Playstation fanboys helped kill creativity in games. So stop crying over spilt milk.

Chu Chu Rockets
Jet Grind Radio
Seaman
Space Channel 5
Shenmue
Crazy Taxi
Samba de Amigo
Ooga Booga
Rez
The first RPG online on a console
The first online football, basketball, Baseball, Hockey and Tennis games.

moorebounce
Mar 4, 2012, 11:52 PM
There are very distinct problems with that: Internet connection being one of them. Without a pretty good connection you can't use Onlive.

There is also input lag, combine that with the fact that there might be server lag and you get something that could be near unplayable. There is also visual artifacting since you're basically playing a game via stream but thats the whole "graphics" argument.

With the low average (at least where I live) connection speed of 7mbs its 4mbs more than what you need. I'm sure they have most of the connection bugs worked out by now. When I used it it was just like playing on your own console and the video wasn't that much different. I played Batman AA on the 360 and Onlive and they looked and played the same. The streaming of the video is better than you're trying to make it out to be. With Onlive they could put whatever detail they want in the game and it wouldn't effect the gamers at all. Theres no downloading or waiting for your games or anything.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 5, 2012, 04:41 AM
They can't simply put whatever extreme visuals they want in a game simply because it's on the Onlive service. Onlive does not have unlimited resources; they're limited by whatever hardware Onlive uses to run the games. From what I've heard, the graphics settings on PC games are very obviously set to mid-range settings, so I don't think they're allocating a few thousand dollars worth of hardware for every instance of every game they stream.

Also, latency is a rather large issue with that sort of service, and I'd expect it's doubly bad when you're dealing with an online game. Further, you sure as heck can't stream an uncompressed 1080p video on a 7mbps connection. It's either going to be lower res or heavily compressed, degrading image quality.

TLDR; Onlive is not the end-all, be-all solution for gaming, even if you are the type who is cool with that whole model in the first place (I'm not).

Macman
Mar 7, 2012, 06:42 PM
NB4 nobody reads a damn thing I say and starts going "not this again." in some way shape or form.I'm going there.

Anon_Fire
Mar 7, 2012, 06:52 PM
We'll have to wait and see what Valve's plans are.

Cayenne
Mar 7, 2012, 09:07 PM
This is like the 50th-ish thread about playing on a console?

Nothing else to talk about I see.

NoiseHERO
Mar 8, 2012, 01:57 AM
^
That's because there's was a nothing to argue about so it had a conclusion. It was, what it was.

It wasn't beating the dead horse with annoying fandumb whining saying PSO2 should be on XBOX or Wii-U or something, which would normally create and internet backdraft.

Just to clarify for future reference for people that would TL;DR the thread and create said internet backdraft. anyway. It's mostly just a PC. That's why I quoted "console." Notice there's no bitching in this thread. :0

Cayenne
Mar 8, 2012, 02:20 AM
Gotta keep yourself busy I guess.

Good thing I got my PSO2 fix playing the Alpha or else I'll be doing the same thing, making more threads and discussing topics just to pass the time. I scan the forum everyday for updates so I'm around, just not posting but I got bored today :p.

Miyoko
Mar 8, 2012, 02:37 AM
I heard that they're going to release it at-cost to make, since Valve makes all their money on the steam service. But yep, it's basically just a barebones PC without any of the extra frills, from what I understand. Seems like a good idea, at least.

Mike
Mar 8, 2012, 02:53 AM
They'd release a bunch of Sonic and Total War games, along with some Genesis & Dreamcast re-releases. Observe. (http://store.steampowered.com/publisher/SEGA)
Yeah, but on which side of the Pacific is that Sega?

NoiseHERO
Mar 8, 2012, 03:12 AM
Gotta keep yourself busy I guess.

Good thing I got my PSO2 fix playing the Alpha or else I'll be doing the same thing, making more threads and discussing topics just to pass the time. I scan the forum everyday for updates so I'm around, just not posting but I got bored today :p.

This is probably like the first and actual thread I've ever made to be taken seriously. :0

Not about boredom or "getting my PSO2 fix" (I'll just wait for bumped or Other Mike to give me info with that.) Just thought it was something people would care to hear about.

Also I get addicted to forums easily in general. Doesn't help my procrastination problems so I'm not proud of it. e_e

Jenni Porshakin
Mar 8, 2012, 07:35 AM
The topic title is very misleading.
A PC is not a console, it is a PC.
A steam "console" is still an (albeit overpriced) PC

As for the topic's intention, I saw PSO2 to all consoles and handhelds.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 8, 2012, 11:16 AM
The topic title is very misleading.
A PC is not a console, it is a PC.
A steam "console" is still an (albeit overpriced) PC
1) The word console is flanked by quotation marks.

2) I could accurately state that "consoles" are PCs with a static, standardized set of hardware running proprietary software.

3) How do you know that it will be overpriced? We have little information on the hardware and zero info on the pricing

As for the topic's intention, I saw PSO2 to all consoles and handhelds.
... what?

Cayenne
Mar 8, 2012, 01:46 PM
Also I get addicted to forums easily in general. Doesn't help my procrastination problems so I'm not proud of it. e_e

I was the same way with the ESP Guitar Forum, best forum on earth because it was mainly about members joking around and posting funny things and like 10% about guitars lol.

Vashyron
Mar 8, 2012, 04:17 PM
http://kotaku.com/5891697/shooting-down-rumors-valve-says-theyre-not-making-a-game-console-any-time-soon

NoiseHERO
Mar 8, 2012, 04:21 PM
Oh wow that's so much balls. It didn't even seem like a "rumor."

Good thing I wasn't gonna buy one anyway. Sorry for the hype console guys. ]:

Ark22
Mar 8, 2012, 04:31 PM
It's alright man, it was fun while it lasted but hey.....We still got our PC'S!

Vashyron
Mar 8, 2012, 04:46 PM
It's seemingly not happening anytime soon, but perhaps in Valve time (https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Valve_Time) soon.

Oh well, but here's the likely scenario:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/Random/cad-20120305-20729.png

Krank32oz
Mar 8, 2012, 05:51 PM
I for one am very relived that valve isn't making a console. I think steam is less then stealer for how long its been around and PC is definitely the way to go with this new PSO game. After playing BB a bunch I think its 100% the right choice.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 8, 2012, 09:30 PM
... If they made a console/PC/whatever and it came in a companion-cube shaped case, I'd be sold.

Angelo
Mar 9, 2012, 07:32 AM
So uh... Vita.

Yep.

r00tabaga
Mar 9, 2012, 07:44 AM
PS3 announcement in 5...4...3...2

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 08:36 AM
I see nothing but more endless console/handheld threads in the near future.

Here we go...

r00tabaga
Mar 9, 2012, 10:49 AM
Endless yes...pointless no

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Mar 9, 2012, 05:00 PM
So uh... Vita.

Yep.

http://andriasang.com/con08f/pso2_vita/?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

This guy isn't kidding.^^;

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 08:00 PM
Endless yes...pointless no

Yes, that's what I meant :-P

Ark22
Mar 9, 2012, 08:11 PM
Ps3 let's go :P