PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 for Playstation Vita Announced! (+blog)

Pages : [1] 2

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 06:03 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5OMPhKLhXQ

And here's the info we know so far:
It uses the same servers as the PC version
It uses the same character data as the PC version
Less than 10% complete
Release planned for 2013
Online only
Possible partying between Vita and PC clients
Graphics are one of the things being worked on

In addition, the offical blog (http://ameblo.jp/sega-psblog/entry-11187379836.html) was updated with of the above info plus some more PSO2 design pics.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25560

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25561

Neirene
Mar 9, 2012, 06:11 AM
The console really really needed a big reason for people to actually get it due to the lack of games but more and more it looks like it's starting to receive a great support from most developers and also the fact you can play PSO2 cross-platform with PC users at the same time is a wonderful idea as well!

GCoffee
Mar 9, 2012, 06:13 AM
My wallet cries as my Vita buy is confirmed.
Sakai, you are one crazy, crazy man.

NekoRul
Mar 9, 2012, 06:19 AM
This is sooooo great!
¡PSO2 on Vita!

(calm down...)
I will play PSVita instead of PC now xD

Neirene
Mar 9, 2012, 06:23 AM
I love this dress sketch ^^ so bad it doesn't exists for real orz

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25561

Saotome Kaneda
Mar 9, 2012, 06:31 AM
Thanks for the quick update Mike, I had JUST checked the blog for stuff too.

The console really really needed a big reason for people to actually get it due to the lack of games but more and more it looks like it's starting to receive a great support from most developers and also the fact you can play PSO2 cross-platform with PC users at the same time is a wonderful idea as well!

To be honest the Vita isn't hurting TOO badly for titles, especially when put up against the PSP's launch, and even in direct comparison to the 3DS launch. IIRC there's around 30 games that should be on shelves in the upcoming weeks, with at least 15 out now... I don't think too many systems have had that much attention in a while.

I am looking forward to the cross-platform play as well as the hints towards unique content and story, we'll see what happens as 2013 creeps closer!

Neirene
Mar 9, 2012, 06:36 AM
Here in Spain the release of games have been much more slower yet If I were to get a PS Vita for this game I will still try to wait for a redesign of the console or at least that they can make it more slimmer than the current model and if it's possible a little bit less expensive ^^; and with more color choices! i'm sure they will do that soon!

Because currently I tried the vita myself at a game store and I really didn't liked the current design of the machine the only thing I liked was the very sharp screen it had!

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 06:42 AM
I just hope this doesn't end up like the PS2 version of PSU ended.

NoiseHERO
Mar 9, 2012, 06:44 AM
At first I was skeptical trying to think of a way not to hate the full game being on a portable...

I mean I see what they're doing, trying to find that middle ground for Console enthusiasts by giving them an alternative. While taking advantage of a convenient concept of being able to bring PSO2 FAR away from your PC monitor. And it's a good idea, but it still bugged me. Also there was the thought that they'd try to match contents updates and the Vita version holding PC back. e_e

But after coming to this thread seeing it won't be out till 2013, and that it's ONLINE ONLY, those sound like a fair trade-off for having a FULL PC GAME on a handheld.So I'm not too annoyed by it anymore.

@ Those new outfits, that's the outfit everyone tried to label as Ranewm, But yeah it looks awesome in that sketch, if I can make the top part blue or bluish green, then it would be exactly like a more detailed version of my Original Character, Rock Eastwood's clothes. I'm actually more excited about that than the Vita thing.

No more complaints about clothes from me in this game.

PrinceBrightstar
Mar 9, 2012, 06:46 AM
I can't say I'm too excited about this announcement. It's going to introduce an slew of new issues to the game, the least of which being gamers that might be trying to play it through AT&T's network as well as potentially limiting the ability to do expansions once again.

This feels like PS2 PSU all over again. Now granted I'll accept the comment that yes, memory cards have gotten bigger and this is a brand new system, but we could easily see if a challenge mode is released parties not accepting vita players.

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 06:49 AM
AT&T
That's assuming the Vita version will come out in the US. The last handheld Phantasy Star game never made the jump.

DarK-SuN
Mar 9, 2012, 06:53 AM
It shouldn't be an issue, the Vita, unlike the PS2, actually allows games to be updated and have new content added to them (as in, actual updates, new things added, new areas, etc, not just unlocking what's already in the disk), so potentially speaking the Vita version will not be holding PSO2 back at all.
I see this as a very interesting move that, if pulled off correctly, can only broaden the community and market base for the game in a big and positive way.

NoiseHERO
Mar 9, 2012, 07:07 AM
I can't say I'm too excited about this announcement. It's going to introduce an slew of new issues to the game, the least of which being gamers that might be trying to play it through AT&T's network as well as potentially limiting the ability to do expansions once again.

This feels like PS2 PSU all over again. Now granted I'll accept the comment that yes, memory cards have gotten bigger and this is a brand new system, but we could easily see if a challenge mode is released parties not accepting vita players.

Well if it's coming out somewhere in 2013...

It'd have to be pretty weird for us to worry about it causing content droughts, I think. At most, and this is ASSUMING the Vita has content/expansion issues The portable version would just lag behind on it's own.

Also it's already time for nerd speculation, Look at all the stuff on that concept art wall. I saw colorful robots with sonic the hedgehog/bomberman like anatomy. Too colorful to be badguys,

Mag evolutions maybe? :D

The Return of PMs but minus the loli MOE abuse? @_@

Rare enemies...? :\

Angelo
Mar 9, 2012, 07:11 AM
As long as it doesn't stunt the content updates of the PC version I'm behind this 100%

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 07:14 AM
Also it's already time for nerd speculation, Look at all the stuff on that concept art wall. I saw colorful robots with sonic the hedgehog/bomberman like anatomy. Too colorful to be badguys,

Mag evolutions maybe? :D

The Return of PMs but minus the loli MOE abuse? @_@

Rare enemies...? :\

Oh yeah. 2:00~2:01 in the video for those paying attention. I think there are some weapon designs in there too: a spear/partisan thingy and something that looks like a long bow.

DayDreamer
Mar 9, 2012, 07:23 AM
Well I was hoping for Psp3 but this is just as great if not better xD
As long as they don't rush anything this should turn out fine I believe.

NoiseHERO
Mar 9, 2012, 07:23 AM
Oh yeah. 2:00~2:01 in the video for those paying attention. I think there are some weapon designs in there to: a spear/partisan thingy and something that looks like a long bow.

Can't seem to find those though, but all of those mini robot designs after seeing there's like 8 of em, HAVE to be related to MAGs or something.

Definitely see a lot of sword and gun like designs but its hard for me to tell if they're new weapons or just higher tier ones...

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 07:25 AM
Sweet!

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 07:28 AM
Can't seem to find those though, but all of those mini robot designs after seeing there's like 8 of em, HAVE to be related to MAGs or something.

Definitely see a lot of sword and gun like designs but its hard for me to tell if they're new weapons or just higher tier ones...

Pause the video at 2:01 and there's what looks to be a pot with a circular ring behind it To the upper left of that is something that looks like a partisan or spear to me. Above that is something that looks like a long bow.

EDIT:
These things.
[spoiler-box]http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25562[/spoiler-box]

r00tabaga
Mar 9, 2012, 07:39 AM
Is that a shield on the right?
And for the record, I'm calling it now...PSO2 will be on PC, Vita AND PS3 when it's all said and done. No need to buy a gaming rig for one game any longer!

NoiseHERO
Mar 9, 2012, 07:51 AM
Ah I see, those definitely look like spears and bows. I'll definitely look forward to bows, and high that they won't be rifle clones.

And yeah I noticed the shield too, hopefully it'll be like PSZ's shield. But possibly as a dual wield? I dunno.

Aki_Yoruno
Mar 9, 2012, 07:56 AM
Most of the art below and to the right of the spears look like potential MAGness. Take a better look.

Ghost Inside
Mar 9, 2012, 08:03 AM
I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I love handhelds, and it'd cost me much less to buy a vita than to try to make something out of my PC
or buy a new one that would actually run the game. And that they'd share server and characters
across the two versions sounds like a great idea to me!

But... For some reason 2013 feels too far away! :p
I want to play it nowwww~

And you can't help but wonder if Sega is going to mess things up again.
I mean... PSU didn't run so well on consoles from what I heard.
Then there's the work they have to put in and all the other usual things to worry about.

NoiseHERO
Mar 9, 2012, 08:12 AM
Most of the art below and to the right of the spears look like potential MAGness. Take a better look.

But MAGs were the first thing I pointed out. o_o;

I think the ones with or without limbs and tiny weapons in general, look easily MAG related. They did vaguely say they were going to try something a little different with them.

Mini moe bots might be gone but looks like they're didn't get rid of rohbits altogether. Or whatever they are they better help fight. D<

As for the Vita... What is is like 300 bucks for 3G, another 40-60 for memory cards, probably 40-50 for a game... Then the monthly plan...

May as well get a low end computer. D:

Tetsaru
Mar 9, 2012, 08:14 AM
Not sure if want...

It originally seemed like they were adamant about keeping this strictly PC only, and I was happy for that, considering what happened with PSU...

Sure, it seems like a cool idea, having PC and Vita players being able to play alongside each other, but If having PSO2 on the Vita undermines the PC version in any way, I'll be very upset.

Powder Keg
Mar 9, 2012, 08:19 AM
Calling it now.

Horrible stupid idea #1.

GCoffee
Mar 9, 2012, 08:23 AM
Wait, what exactly will this mean in regard to subsciptions?!

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 08:27 AM
Nothing. It could still work either way since data is shared between clients.

Aki_Yoruno
Mar 9, 2012, 08:28 AM
But MAGs were the first thing I pointed out. o_o;

Right you are! Just went back and read it again... Thought you meant there was a Sonic mag with Bomberman aspects. XD Must've been too excited about the news to receive everything comprehensively.

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 08:32 AM

This could be a sign that it might be a buy to play and gone with subscriptions all together unless SEGA gets really greedy and make the first subscription-based handheld game (don't correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm sure I am).

Let's cross our fingers!

kornkid212
Mar 9, 2012, 08:40 AM
Best news ever! I'll be playing this on PC and the Vita!

NoiseHERO
Mar 9, 2012, 08:44 AM
Reasons why it probably won't "undermine" or ruin the point of the PC version.

> Release planned for 2013 (That's a LONG way off, if the game came out the same time as PSO2 PC it'd be another story, but that's not the case.)
> Online only (Game is useless in general without some kind of connection)
> Those graphics...(Might improve later, but right now they look like last gen PSP graphics)
> Probably have to use a touch screen keyboard
> The Vita actually CAN update, but whatever problems that might come up with that I DOUBT they'd hold back the full PC version for it.

It really does just look like an alternative, portable but held back way to access your PSO2 account and play with your friends. Just think of it as PSO2's advanced Pok'eWalker or something. I know you guys are SEGA traumatized, but no need to mash the panic button just yet. Assuming the portable game even makes it out of japan before 2014.

Though I seriously did NOT see this coming, I was expecting a completely unique game. So this only makes me wonder what they're planning with that one console game they brought up. And is this game even Phantasy Star Victory? Or is that actually a seperate game or just a dead rumor now?

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 08:52 AM
Good points Rock, also that could explain why the graphics are not so advanced to begin with.

I like it the more I think about it as I'm planning to sell my PC rig a few months after PSO2 is released (hate windows pc and no need for one anymore) and the Vita could be what I and many other can do to experience this awesome game!

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 08:56 AM
This could be a sign that it might be a buy to play and gone with subscriptions all together unless SEGA gets really greedy and make the first subscription-based handheld game (don't correct me if I'm wrong cause I'm sure I am).

Here's the problem with that: by using and playing with PC players on the Vita, you are essentially the same thing. In fact, you will be because you use the same account. Can you imagine if Sega charged a monthly fee for PC users and then made it free for Vita players when you have access to the same things? PC users would be getting shafted and I don't think that'll happen. Nor would Sega be the first company to charge a monthly fee for a portable game. There are apps on Android and iOS (I think, don't really use Apple stuff so I can't say for sure) that charge monthly fees for a service similar to what PSO2 will.

> Those graphics...(Might improve later, but right now they look like last gen PSP graphics)

They'll be improved. According to the blog, that's one of the things they're working on.

And is this game even Phantasy Star Victory? Or is that actually a seperate game or just a dead rumor now?
In the end, Victory may have been nothing more than rumors. I wasn't expecting a portable PSO2 either but with this information, anything that may have been Victory is probably now defeat.

WBMike
Mar 9, 2012, 09:12 AM
I looked at Victory as the codename for a Phantasy Star Game on Vita. When the Sega programmer tweeted it, it was kind of like saying, "Hey we're working on a game for Vita. You guys don't know what it is yet but something might happen." Then when the leaked document came out, it solidified that a Phantasy Star game was coming to Vita. Then we had all those interviews with Sakai saying he would like some interaction between the "home" version of the game and "NGP" version and how it has to take place in a different setting from PSPo2. So in essence all of it came to be. Victory is probably PSO2 on Vita.

Milla
Mar 9, 2012, 09:21 AM
"I keep throwing money at the screen but nothing is happening" :P

I wonder if the Vita version will have any exclusive features...Well give's me a reason to get one now can't wait. For some reason I've suddenly lost the urge to play PSP2. ^^;

DayDreamer
Mar 9, 2012, 09:21 AM
Here's the problem with that: by using and playing with PC players on the Vita, you are essentially the same thing. In fact, you will be because you use the same account. Can you imagine if Sega charged a monthly fee for PC users and then made it free for Vita players when you have access to the same things? PC users would be getting shafted and I don't think that'll happen. Nor would Sega be the first company to charge a monthly fee for a portable game. There are apps on Android and iOS (I think, don't really use Apple stuff so I can't say for sure) that charge monthly fees for a service similar to what PSO2 will.

Yeah, Order and Chaos online has a monthly fee but it's only like .99 a month so Its not a big deal. On a side note, does anyone know how much Pso's fee was?

Aki_Yoruno
Mar 9, 2012, 09:24 AM
HUmarl looks a lot like what Aki has evolved into. Just needs an eyepatch. If that's a possibility, then I'll definitely make the switch from HUnewearl to HUmarl. Love it. Also, Aki is now Duman in PSP2i, anyway. (I really need to update my sig pic...)

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 09:27 AM
Here's the problem with that: by using and playing with PC players on the Vita, you are essentially the same thing. In fact, you will be because you use the same account.
Now I though about this before posting but threw it out the window, here's why:

If it's anything like the PC version (let's assume there is a subscription), then you bought a game to go where you can't play it out of the box. Look at what's needed to get past the start screen:
-A connection to a wifi device
-Restricted to play around that wifi device
-Required creation of a PSO2/SEGA account
-Monthly subscription on top of the $$$ you payed for the un-playable handheld game

And on top of that if you want true freedom you have to throw down even more money per month for that 3G plan to play up to 2GB worth of online playtime wherever you roam.

This is why I think PC and Vita will be Buy to Play at release or at least have a very cheap monthly plan (under $5/month). Who knows, maybe the Vita will be like PSP and have a free offline mode that's completely separate from the online portion.

On a side note, does anyone know how much Pso's fee was?
$14.99 for 3 months for PSOv2 on Dreamcast and $9.99 per month for PSO:BB

rezakon
Mar 9, 2012, 09:27 AM
pso2 at home on pc, pso2 at work on vita...

Gotta love sega ^_^

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 09:33 AM
I wonder if the Vita version will have any exclusive features...Well give's me a reason to get one now can't wait. For some reason I've suddenly lost the urge to play PSP2. ^^;
There's at least 9 months between now and when the game comes out and Sega is focused on the PC version at the moment so it might be a while but I'm sure we'll hear about Vita features eventually.

Yeah, Order and Chaos online has a monthly fee but it's only like .99 a month so Its not a big deal. On a side note, does anyone know how much Pso's fee was?
There are also a few Japanese "mmos" that charge a monthly fee of 3~10 dollars, don't know about their availability outside of Japan though. I still think Vita users will be treated the same way as PC users when it comes to whatever kind of subscription method Sega decides to go with.

EDIT:

If it's anything like the PC version (let's assume there is a subscription), then you bought a game to go where you can't play it out of the box. Look at what's needed to get past the start screen:
-A connection to a wifi device
-Restricted to play around that wifi device
-Required creation of a PSO2/SEGA account
-Monthly subscription on top of the $$$ you payed for the un-playable handheld game

You're right, that's exactly the same thing as a PC. So why should Vita users be treated differently if the experience is the same?

EvilMag
Mar 9, 2012, 09:34 AM
Might be like PSU JP where they have a free course system where there are certain things you can't do. I know DCUO has something like that and thats on both PS3 and PC.

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 09:39 AM
Might be like PSU JP where they have a free course system where there are certain things you can't do. I know DCUO has something like that and thats on both PS3 and PC.
And PSUJP is terrible because it combines cash-shop with subscription. It should be either or but not both.

Astarin
Mar 9, 2012, 09:41 AM
Curse you, Sakai. I was just ready to discount the Vita as not having any must-play games, and now... this. I'd love to play cross platform with a Vita, as opposed to PC, frankly. I think my choice of platform would really just come down to which comes out here in NA.

As for character designs... aha! Yeah, that was the assumed RAnewm outfit, shown long ago. Does anyone else think that it looks matches the current RAnewearl outfit a lot more than the Red Mage / Space Cowboy design? Not really knocking the Space Cowboy, but frankly, this outfit seems to match the existing PSO2 vibe a little better, even if it isn't as remarkable.

EvilMag
Mar 9, 2012, 09:44 AM
And PSUJP is terrible because it combines cash-shop with subscription. It should be either or but not both.

Well Sega did figure out that Microtransactions are the way to print money.

Dre_o
Mar 9, 2012, 09:53 AM
Hmm.....I can't particularly pass any sort of judgmental opinion on the vita form due to a lack of knowledge about the vita.

I can see it selling kinda well....but not actually performing so. Hmm...

On a completely different note: I love the new concept art. You can just feel the influence of PSU in them (which isn't a bad thing to me) as well as the parts that keep it rooted in PSO styles. I approve.

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 09:54 AM
You're right, that's exactly the same thing as a PC. So why should Vita users be treated differently if the experience is the same?

I don't know, that's a very hard selling point for the average family here in the states during a recession just for a handheld game unless the subscription fee is not implemented.

Ark22
Mar 9, 2012, 09:57 AM
*Waits for Ps3 to be confirmed* Justing saying

Dhylec
Mar 9, 2012, 10:01 AM
Very interesting. Sega seems to really step up to get PSO series back with the flow of technology.

Ark22
Mar 9, 2012, 10:07 AM
..but not actually performing so. Hmm...

DCUO *For ps3* has higher specs than pso2. The vita has a better processor than the ps3. It will work well, because Pso2 is not a demanding game. But I won't get it because I wanted an offline mode, I'd rather just get it for pc.

youcantcatchtheblue
Mar 9, 2012, 10:19 AM
NICE!!!

I'm feeling very positive about this news. Need I remind you guys that PSO was THE game that revolutionized online games on consoles? Well now PSO2 is going to revolutionize online games for handhelds!!

As for payment systems,
I doubt it will be free to play. It's obviously monthly subscription for a PSO2 account which you can play both on PC and Vita. PSO2 is gonna burn a massive crater on my wallet like hotcakes dipped in acid!! :-D

Mag-X
Mar 9, 2012, 10:37 AM
Do not want.

Now we're going to be stuck with the limitations of the PSV. Large expansions are going to be much more difficult since any updates are going to have to fit onto over-priced PSV memory cards. And whatever updates we do get are going to take twice as long to get since they have to test on two systems and wait for the OK from Sony to push it out to the PSV.

ಠ_ಠ

DoubleCannon
Mar 9, 2012, 10:49 AM
Well so much for exclusive to PC lol. However I am not a sony person at all and will stick to PC. I am kinda sad about this news :(

Ryudo
Mar 9, 2012, 10:50 AM
Do not want.

Now we're going to be stuck with the limitations of the PSV. Large expansions are going to be much more difficult since any updates are going to have to fit onto over-priced PSV memory cards. And whatever updates we do get are going to take twice as long to get since they have to test on two systems and wait for the OK from Sony to push it out to the PSV.

ಠ_ಠ

no, they dont, I posted this in another thread but I'll post it again here for relevance

This generation ought to have been a hotbed for consoles MMOs. The online capabilities are firmly there. But platform holder red-tape has kept MMOs largely at bay.

The crux of the issue: how an MMO can be patched, updated and charged for - as they are without restriction on PC.

But Dust 514 won't fall at that hurdle.

"We have complete ability to service and update the game as much as needed," Brandon Laurino declared.

But Sony's willingness to adhere to CCP's requirements wasn't special, one-off treatment for a PS3 exclusive. The ground MMO specialist CCP and Sony have broken was done so to benefit the entire PSN platform.

"I can't speak for Sony," Laurino said, "but part of the reason they've engaged with us on this is to be able to bring this business model full force to their platforms moving forward."

"Certainly the intention here is to evolve the whole console business model, and we're doing it in a way where it's not just specific to us necessarily. This was very much an evolution and learning exercise for them as much as us."
'Sony "removed" PSN barriers for free-to-play MMO Dust 514' Screenshot cosplay

PlayStation Network boss Jack Buser echoed this sentiment yesterday, when he talked about Sony's willingness to engage in new business models, as in Dust 514.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-08-sony-removed-psn-barriers-for-free-to-play-mmo-dust-514

they announced this just a day or two ago, this is not coincidental ;) MMOs and similar games like PSO2 have autonomy to update and upgrade as they liek without passing approval processes on sony consoles now so no-one needs to worry PSV or PS3 will somehow slow things down

r00tabaga
Mar 9, 2012, 10:52 AM
I saw no mention of PS Victory.....so are we getting two games for Vita?!? That would be really, REALLY COOL!

Ezodagrom
Mar 9, 2012, 11:02 AM
no, they dont, I posted this in another thread but I'll post it again here for relevance

This generation ought to have been a hotbed for consoles MMOs. The online capabilities are firmly there. But platform holder red-tape has kept MMOs largely at bay.

The crux of the issue: how an MMO can be patched, updated and charged for - as they are without restriction on PC.

But Dust 514 won't fall at that hurdle.

"We have complete ability to service and update the game as much as needed," Brandon Laurino declared.

But Sony's willingness to adhere to CCP's requirements wasn't special, one-off treatment for a PS3 exclusive. The ground MMO specialist CCP and Sony have broken was done so to benefit the entire PSN platform.

"I can't speak for Sony," Laurino said, "but part of the reason they've engaged with us on this is to be able to bring this business model full force to their platforms moving forward."

"Certainly the intention here is to evolve the whole console business model, and we're doing it in a way where it's not just specific to us necessarily. This was very much an evolution and learning exercise for them as much as us."
'Sony "removed" PSN barriers for free-to-play MMO Dust 514' Screenshot cosplay

PlayStation Network boss Jack Buser echoed this sentiment yesterday, when he talked about Sony's willingness to engage in new business models, as in Dust 514.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-03-08-sony-removed-psn-barriers-for-free-to-play-mmo-dust-514

they announced this just a day or two ago, this is not coincidental ;) MMOs and similar games like PSO2 have autonomy to update and upgrade as they liek without passing approval processes on sony consoles now so no-one needs to worry PSV or PS3 will somehow slow things down
Oh, that's nice to know, hopefully they'll do this for PSO2 as well.
After seeing an article saying that Microsoft charges $40000 per patch, (http://thenextweb.com/microsoft/2012/02/16/microsofts-40000-per-xbox-patch-explains-why-updates-are-slow-to-roll-out/) I was afraid that Sony could have similar policies (and that would hurt the post release support of the game).

moorebounce
Mar 9, 2012, 11:23 AM
I'll pass. I'm not a big fan of handhelds so all this means nothing to me unless they delay PSO2 PC because of this.

MoonlightMyau
Mar 9, 2012, 11:39 AM
I'm a bit indifferent to the news.

I imagine Sega are hoping everybody on PSU/PSP2/I will make their way to PSO2 and are of course hoping for a big community, which is better for everybody. If the PSV and PC players are on the same server, then perhaps this is an indication that they're also planning international servers, which would be fantastic.

However, I'd hate for the game to be plagued by any form of limitation or exclusions for either Vita or PC players.

Link1275
Mar 9, 2012, 11:51 AM
This is great news, now I don't have to worry about my PC having specs that are too low! Time to find a job, demand at least minimum wage, and save the money up for a 3G PSVita(so I can play when I don't have internet) and my first few months of the 3G service!

vPharaohv
Mar 9, 2012, 11:51 AM
So will the Vita be the exact same as the PC? Or will there be a dumb down in content or graphics or anything?

Link1275
Mar 9, 2012, 11:55 AM
So will the Vita be the exact same as the PC? Or will there be a dumb down in content or graphics or anything?

It looks to be exactly the same.

Xaton
Mar 9, 2012, 11:59 AM
hmms maybe victory has offline mode? like mini story mode and multi free mode like in universe but to get onto infrastructure mode you have to have account and purchase a monthly fee thing.

OR they are going micro transaction route But not buying anything that can break game like say grinders or somthing or infinity codes useing portable 2 infinity as reference

vPharaohv
Mar 9, 2012, 12:05 PM
Okay so here's a thought. Is there any possibility that you could have the game for vita and PC and access your character online for either? So I'm gaming all night on my PC and I feel like lying in bed so I save, pull out my vita, access my online account and then I can play with the same character on that?

Ryudo
Mar 9, 2012, 12:09 PM
Okay so here's a thought. Is there any possibility that you could have the game for vita and PC and access your character online for either? So I'm gaming all night on my PC and I feel like lying in bed so I save, pull out my vita, access my online account and then I can play with the same character on that?

yes, from what they've said it would seem you can do that

"your character can be played on both systems. For this reason, the Vita version will be an online exclusive game, and its play data will be saved on the servers"

also sakai had this to say

You might remember that Sakai had promised surprise news for March. Sakai confirmed that the Vita version of PSO2 was that surprise news. But there are more March surprises too, he teased.

http://andriasang.com/con08z/pso2_detailed/

so yeah, I'd guess at ps3 version at dengeki festival

moorebounce
Mar 9, 2012, 12:18 PM
Has anybody figured out what those two characters are? Looking at their ears they're both human.

Macman
Mar 9, 2012, 12:19 PM
I have no interest in the Vita, and if this dicks over the PC version I am going to be very upset.

PSU2 more like...

Zorafim
Mar 9, 2012, 12:20 PM
What's a Vita? Does it taste good? Oh, it's a Sony handheld? That's cool, I guess. Handheld gaming seems to be big in Japan. Just as long as it doesn't hold back the PC servers, I'm cool with it.
So, this whole 2013 release... That's just for the Vita, right? PC PSO will be out sooner? Yes?

Caerik
Mar 9, 2012, 12:24 PM
Well as I've already seen, the Vita version can update with ease. I don't think updating with the PC will be an issue. The only arising issue I see is if an overhaul update occurs. The PSV will have to take on a large update with its small memory.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear of this. I could play when I'm not near my rig :)

And to the pictures, did anyone else remember Jet Grind (Set) Radio's character Beat when they saw those goggles?

youcantcatchtheblue
I wouldn't be surprised if they did announce a PS3 version after this... Vita development is apparently very very similar to the PS3 so it wouldn't take much extra effort to have it on both. Hopefully they will try to reach out to as many communities as possible.

Has anybody figured out what those two characters are? Looking at their ears they're both human.

These are costumes that you will be able to get in-game, they're not race/class specific. Probably something you buy in the shops or get as an item drop.

Angelo

They're just costumes. There will be the default costumes at character creations for each race/gender/class combo and then there will just be costumes in the game that aren't attached to any race, gender, or class in terms of theme and motif.

It's like PSU in that regard.

Alucard V
Mar 9, 2012, 12:30 PM
The more I think of it the more I think it might work from a game play point of view.
With touch screen and pad having a action bar seems possible.

Ogni-XR21
Mar 9, 2012, 12:33 PM
Ok, now I will have to get a Vita, I just hope it will be released worldwide.

r00tabaga
Mar 9, 2012, 12:34 PM
I guess we will find out more about Victory soon, if Sakai really has more surprises this month. Maybe a release date, maybe a ps3 announcement, maybe a global announcement, mag news (finally).......stay tuned.

And yeah touch pad for the hotkeys would be easy to use......OMG, chat functions ala PSZ would be sick! I doubt they would do that but it would be fun to just write something with your finger.

bLOODSAW
Mar 9, 2012, 12:58 PM
Well this confirms that I will be getting a vita in the future :)

aozora
Mar 9, 2012, 01:05 PM
Called it =D
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2722497&postcount=20

Anywho, awesome news nonetheless

Ark22
Mar 9, 2012, 01:11 PM
While the Vita version is clearly early, the decision to release the game on something other than the PC is not. Sakai said that the staff was thinking about releasing the game in some form on a home platform ("home platform" means consoles or portables) from the moment they decided to make PSO2 on PC. The reasoning behind this is that PSO was itself originally a home console title (PSO on Dreamcast). Also, the PSP Phantasy Star Portable games were popular.

How many people said this is the reason why it was going to be on consoles lmao? It only took them a year to tease us.

Zyrusticae
Mar 9, 2012, 01:30 PM
Not happy or excited.

I suppose we shall see if this holds the game back. Really not looking forward to finding out...

Fayorei
Mar 9, 2012, 01:30 PM
I think it's a great move, personally. How many people here alone said they didn't have the specs to play it PC-wise? And PSO was a console game at its heart.

Updates aren't going to be a problem. We're not in the PS2-era anymore. Nowadays, devs can force updates and whatnot to play online(just try playing a game for the first time you buy for the PS3 or Xbox 360). Said updates can be downloaded, and the Vita has the power to handle both updates and the graphics(seriously, while PSO2 is gorgeous... it's still an online game). I wasn't planning on buying a Vita before this; however, this shifts the playing field considerably.

The next best step to do since data is shared... would be to simply implement one sub fee overall. I think that's the best possible move to make.

I'm also curious on how this would affect an international release. Seems inevitable from the alpha client data topic, but on how they'd implement it. I think the ideal situation would be international servers, PC and Vita versions for each region. That way, Sega can maximize revenue by reaching both PC and console audiences.

NNYdust*
Mar 9, 2012, 01:31 PM
Buying a vita overall has been a Pretty awesome experience!!so far still waiting phantasy star portables on the it's where them news be?

vPharaohv
Mar 9, 2012, 01:41 PM
Okay now I'm happy with this news!

•Col•
Mar 9, 2012, 01:44 PM
Is that a shield on the right?
And for the record, I'm calling it now...PSO2 will be on PC, Vita AND PS3 when it's all said and done. No need to buy a gaming rig for one game any longer!

With that logic, you'd be buying a Vita/PS3 for one game.... >_>

Anyway, nice I guess. Definitely won't be getting one. It's just begging to be dumbed down in some way.

landman
Mar 9, 2012, 01:46 PM
I'm not excited by the news but I also think that it will turn in me playing more often the handheld version than the PC version, because I feel very lazy in starting up any PC game :) and playing PSO2 in the toilet is an added experience!!

Ark22
Mar 9, 2012, 02:03 PM
From what I heard Sony removes PSN barrier and the devs for companies like MMO's ETC can do what they want and not wait for Sony's approval. This is a HUUUGGE plus, that means every console gets it when they release new content. As for people that are complaining about the PSPV and Ps3(Maybe) coming out, think of it this way. You don't have alot of money and hate PC's...Get a Ps3 and play it, if you go somewhere and want to play PSO2 but hate carrying 5 pounds of stuff bring your pspv and BAM! Also why is it good for it to be on the Ps3, well nearly everyone in Japan has a Ps3 so more sales also more players which are all linked to one server. So I think this is great because of all the players we will see. Now to make this great and perfect is Global servers.

Jinketsu
Mar 9, 2012, 02:10 PM
OMFG someone come change my pants for me. I'm a little weak in the knees...

MelancholyWitch
Mar 9, 2012, 02:15 PM
Woah thanks for the great info but it kinda brings a bit of scare here, I wonder if they are actually prepared for this after all they did mention it was only 10% complete, do you really think this could be the best idea for them? Putting the game on the PS vita could also hinder some of the features or game design that would only be supported by something as powerful as a PC.

Randomness
Mar 9, 2012, 02:17 PM
Woah thanks for the great info but it kinda brings a bit of scare here, I wonder if they are actually prepared for this after all they did mention it was only 10% complete, do you really think this could be the best idea for them? Putting the game on the PS vista could also hinder some of the features or game design that would only be supported by something as powerful as a PC.

The Vita isn't that weak... and they can always have separate visual assets for the two platforms (the most computationally expensive part of any game these days, really).

MelancholyWitch
Mar 9, 2012, 02:20 PM
The Vita isn't that weak... and they can always have separate visual assets for the two platforms (the most computationally expensive part of any game these days, really).

Note how I mentioned features and game design (game play) not visual assets. Also the ability to update the game as they promised could also take its' toll on this as well or maybe the technology will be good enough to be able to update it cross platform to the extent that they mentioned it would updated, although that doesn't seem very realistic at this point I just think they are empty promises right now and may even have to back out from it in the long run.

Ark22
Mar 9, 2012, 02:25 PM

This pertains to the updates changed Sony made, so no more Sony testing. When the devs release it they will release it. Yes, it talks about Dust514( A MMO), but I am sure it regards any future MMO games.

EtherForce
Mar 9, 2012, 02:30 PM
Now make the game for PS3 as well. I'm sure it will boost the game's sales outside of Japan, at least.

Ce'Nedra
Mar 9, 2012, 02:34 PM
Tbh not really happy with the news. They claim for months its gonna be PC only and now suddenly its getting a console port?

SephirothXer0
Mar 9, 2012, 02:49 PM
Well I'm definitely happy about PSO2 on the Vita, but I was hoping for it to be a spinoff separate from the main game so that we could actually have on offline version like the PSP games. So it remains that once the servers inevitably shut down, PSO2 will be gone forever. Private servers BARELY work for a 15 year old game, much less for something brand new.

Anyway, I'll definitely be getting a Vita for this, and my friends likely will too since a Vita is much less expensive than a new high-end PC.

And about the release date, I wouldn't be surprised if we see both versions launch simultaneously. Remember that PC PSO2 isn't even in BETA until this Summer. A Winter / 2013 release isn't unlikely.

Krank32oz
Mar 9, 2012, 03:00 PM
Glad its coming out for Vita but still getting it for PC. I find it much easier to play on a mouse and keyboard for an extended period of time over the handhelds. Maybe ill get a Vita if they ever do a price drop. Not forking out 300 for a system with one game i want!

blace
Mar 9, 2012, 03:03 PM
Not forking out 300 for a system with one game i want!
That and the battery life needs to be extended a bit more than 4-5 hours.

Vashyron
Mar 9, 2012, 03:05 PM
Hmm, been analyzing that artwork wall.

Besides the "Spear and Longbow" things pointed out in the 2nd page, I found these interesting:

[spoiler-box]At the right here, anyone see that red little "robot" thing transforming some sort of hover board into a twin saber and then something else? (Last one roughly reminds me of the PSO's Canane?)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Concept%20Art/VConcept%201.png

At the bottom middle of this one anyone kinda see a mechanized "cat?"

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Concept%20Art/VConcept%202.png

You can kinda see in the middle the red robot here again. (I think?)
Also to the left of it looks like a rank of gunslashes?
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12804628/PSO2/Concept%20Art/VConcept%203.png

Pertaining to a datamined weapon type:
[spoiler-box]The things above could be launchers? There are 3 of each on the paper changing bit by bit like other weapon ranks and it does look like that could launch some sort of missile?[/spoiler-box]
[/spoiler-box]

Krank32oz
Mar 9, 2012, 03:09 PM
That and the battery life needs to be extended a bit more than 4-5 hours.

Hopefully they will do what the 3ds did and add an bigger battery. I dunno how that would work with the vita. We will see tho. Yea 4 to 5 hours is pretty ridiculous even for a handheld these days.

ShadowDragon28
Mar 9, 2012, 03:23 PM
This better not affect the release of major updates, or downloadable patches with new content to the PC game. FFS I don't get why the frak Sega is doing this other than a lame grab for money. IMO They SHOULD OF have a totally **seperate** handheld " Phantasy Star Victory" for the Vita, ffs. V_V

I don't understand Sakai's flip on "PC only" comments, it's got to be Sega coporate ordering Sakai to port PSO2 to the vita... *sigh*
There are so many issues that will crop up yet again. wtf.

Demon-
Mar 9, 2012, 03:24 PM
Pretty cool news, I'm still getting it for the PC at launch but I might get a PSVita now. As for those 2 new outfits, first one is ugly and the second one looks awesome.

At the right here, anyone see that red little "robot" thing transforming some sort of hover board into a twin saber and then something else?

At the bottom middle of this one anyone kinda see a mechanized "cat?"

You can kinda see in the middle the red robot here again.LOL partner machines again?

soldatz
Mar 9, 2012, 03:33 PM
I think this is great news. Regardless of whether either of these games ever make it to the West, or even if they're any good, the fact that one can play a game on a home system, then continue playing on a portable device with roughly the same graphical fidelity is exciting in and of itself.

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 03:40 PM
Im grateful for this news but can someone try to 'sell me' the idea of a handheld game that's online only, that may require a sub fee (let's say $9.99/month to be real), stuck around a wifi signal, and another additional monthly fee to play anywhere with 3G coverage?

I'm not doubting people will not pay for this but I don't see the average joe buying this during these hard times.

HeavensEnd
Mar 9, 2012, 03:50 PM
Never did play the original PSO so i am looking foward to this...if it makes it to the EU/US that is...

Vashyron
Mar 9, 2012, 03:54 PM
LOL partner machines again?

Don't know about that. That red robot thing could be a enemy I guess, but perhaps not.

As for the cat it could just be a mag.

NoiseHERO
Mar 9, 2012, 04:02 PM
Yeah we pointed out the robot kids a long time ago, I still say they're advanced mags.

Arkios
Mar 9, 2012, 04:06 PM
Im grateful for this news but can someone try to 'sell me' the idea of a handheld game that's online only, that may require a sub fee (let's say $9.99/month to be real), stuck around a wifi signal, and another additional monthly fee to play anywhere with 3G coverage?

I'm not doubting people will not pay for this but I don't see the average joe buying this during these hard times.

1) "Stuck around a wifi signal"? My entire home is blanketed in Wifi, everywhere I go there is Wifi. It's hardly like you're leashed by Wifi.

2) The subscription fee will undoubtedly be shared across PC and Vita, so you can hop between the two using the same account. Secondly, who cares? Paying $10-$15 a month is way cheaper than buying a single player game every couple months. If you're having fun playing the same game month after month, I don't see how a subscription fee that low is a problem, unless you're a high school student or have no job.

3) The 3G coverage is not Sega's fault. That's like blaming them because you have to pay a monthly fee for your internet access at home.

4) I am an average Joe and I can see myself playing on Vita if there are more games that make buying a Vita compelling to me. Otherwise I'll just be playing on PC. The idea that I can snag my Vita and play with my buddies is kinda cool, rather than having everyone lug over their PCs/Laptops in order to play together.

JC10001
Mar 9, 2012, 04:43 PM
I'm going to buy a Vita when this game comes out. I'm going to buy one so freaking hard.

I can play at home and continue my progress when I'm out? Goodbye life. They really needed to do this and I am so glad they did.

Also, online won't be an issue. You actually can't play most (any?) Vita games over 3G. 3G is only used to download stuff. For games you need to use wifi, which is fine. They have confirmed this will use wifi.

As far as graphics are concerned... the game is only 10% complete. They basically ported the game over from PC using the lowest settings so they could get it to run and they will improve the graphics over time as they optimize things.

I'm actually shocked at the number of negative responses in this thread. Are people that butthurt that this isn't a PC exclusive anymore or because it isn't on 3DS (LOL) and people might actually have to buy a Vita now? Wonder how people will feel after the PS3 and 360 versions are announced later this month.

NoiseHERO
Mar 9, 2012, 04:51 PM
I'm actually shocked at the number of negative responses in this thread. Are people that butthurt that this isn't a PC exclusive anymore? Wonder how people will feel after the PS3 and 360 versions are announced later this month.

I still think too many people are just blindly looking straight past all of the setbacks and limitations of playing this game on the portable to think it would undermine or hold back the main game. It's just a more advanced concept of playing the game outside of your home and PC conveniently.

As well, unlike an actual console version, there's no reason why this version should hold back the main game. Including reasons that I've already said like 3 times in this thread.

•Col•
Mar 9, 2012, 04:53 PM
You people scare me.

You're willing to buy a $300 portable, TWO versions of the game (PC and Vita versions), which is another $100, possibly a $10 monthly fee for PSO2, and possibly another subscription for 3G coverage on the Vita....

So if you play the game for a year.... That's easily over $500.... To play ONE game...

Okay yeah, have fun with that then.

Arkios
Mar 9, 2012, 04:59 PM
I still think too many people are just blindly looking straight past all of the setbacks and limitations of playing this game on the portable to think it would undermine or hold back the main game. It's just a more advanced concept of playing the game outside of your home and PC conveniently.

As well, unlike an actual console version, there's no reason why this version should hold back the main game. Including reasons that I've already said like 3 times in this thread.

The issue is that most of us have followed the series since the beginning (you may have as well). We've seen how PSO on the console fared (no content, limited if any updates ever), we watched it get PORTED to PC with Blue Burst and still receive limited to no updates. We watched as PSU was released on PS2 and PC and saw how much that completely sucked.

With the terrible track record that these games have of ever releasing new content/bug fixes... seeing it being released on multiple platforms just kills any hope that this game will be any better. At least with a PC only release, we knew that the game was built from the ground up on PC and would be receiving updates/bug fixes/etc. The fact that it's coming out of Japan and we usually get shafted as well because of localization issues... just makes this seem worse and worse.

TrueLugia121
Mar 9, 2012, 05:02 PM
as i pointed out if SEGA doesn't add an offline mode to the Playstation VITA version of Phantasy Star Online 2 this game is a total waste of time.

Mag-X
Mar 9, 2012, 05:05 PM
I'm actually shocked at the number of negative responses in this thread. Are people that butthurt that this isn't a PC exclusive anymore or because it isn't on 3DS (LOL) and people might actually have to buy a Vita now? Wonder how people will feel after the PS3 and 360 versions are announced later this month.

I am a PC gamer, but I would be perfectly happy playing this game on PS3, or I'd even break down and finally buy an Xbox 360 if it were only coming out on that. The problem isn't what system it's on, it's the fact that they're fragmenting development onto multiple systems. If they have to do everything twice, we're going to get half as many updates. I'm afraid it's going to end up like PSU again.

JC10001
Mar 9, 2012, 05:05 PM

What setbacks? Sega proved they could put Phantasy Star on a portable and have it play well with PS Portable and now we have Vita...which is an even more capable platform in terms of graphics and controls (dual analog).

And why do you assume this will hold back the main game but the console versions wouldn't? I personally don't see Sega being held back by the Vita in any way. It is a VERY, VERY capable device. If they were they wouldn't even attempt this. The fact that the data is going to be shared across platforms ensures the two versions will stay in sync. Sony is very open when it comes to patches/content updates. They aren't Microsoft. Just watch... the PC, Vita, and PS3 versions will share data.

A couple of more reasons why this makes sense:
1. People are moving away from their consoles and PCs and using mobile devices more.
2. Sega will likely sell more copies of the game now because people will purchase a version for their home and another for Vita.
3. Granting people access at home and when they are away from home means that people will be able to play this game more then they would have on PC/console alone. That means more users throughout the day. More concurrent users = good.

You people scare me.

You're willing to buy a $300 portable, TWO versions of the game (PC and Vita versions), which is another $100, possibly a $10 monthly fee for PSO2, and possibly another subscription for 3G coverage on the Vita....

So if you play the game for a year.... That's easily over $500.... To play ONE game...

Vita is $250 now, not $300...likely less in 2013 when this game comes out. 3G on Vita isn't used to play games. It is used for downloads. A 3G plan will not be required. This game uses wifi. Also there are other Vita games I'm interested in so the cost will be amortized over the years.

There is also still a good chance this game will be free to play. People aren't paying for subscriptions anymore. 2011 was a wake up call for a lot of companies regarding this. There is a lot more competition and as a result people have a lot more alternatives then they used to 5 years ago.

Nice try though.

I am a PC gamer, but I would be perfectly happy playing this game on PS3, or I'd even break down and finally buy an Xbox 360 if it were only coming out on that. The problem isn't what system it's on, it's the fact that they're fragmenting development onto multiple systems. If they have to do everything twice, we're going to get half as many updates. I'm afraid it's going to end up like PSU again.

You may end up being right, but if this generation taught Japanese companies anything it taught them how to do cross-platform development. The market basically forced them to learn (some might argue they are still learning). I don't think it is as big of an issue any more and that it will be even less of an issue going forward. Sega probably already has a framework in place to reduce/eliminate redundancy.

Arkios
Mar 9, 2012, 05:07 PM
You people scare me.

You're implying that people HAVE to play this on the Vita and acting like people will go out and buy a Vita solely for this game...

The system is $250 last time I checked, you have no idea what the cost of either game(s) will be. As mentioned before, the 3G is mostly for updates. I don't believe you can play games over 3G. (They would play like crap if you could)

Also, you're acting like $500 for a years worth of fun isn't worth it (Countless hours per month).

TrueLugia121
Mar 9, 2012, 05:10 PM
well if there won't be an offline mode for PSO2 on PSVITA just like PSP2 and PSP2i. then why bother wasting time coming up with a VITA version of the game.

MadDogg
Mar 9, 2012, 05:13 PM
This is great news for me since I am not a PC gamer and I definitely wasn't going to upgrade my PC just to play single game. The only other thing that could top this great news for me is a PS3 port.

TrueLugia121
Mar 9, 2012, 05:17 PM
i'm just saying, MadDogg, be careful about getting your game hacked if this was going to be a home console port weather that be Playstation 3 or XBOX 360

JC10001
Mar 9, 2012, 05:24 PM
This is great news for me since I am not a PC gamer and I definitely wasn't going to upgrade my PC just to play single game. The only other thing that could top this great news for me is a PS3 port.

Sakai said we could expect more surprises later this month.

I think a PS3 version is a lock at this point. It would make zero sense for Sega not to do it now that they've announced it for Vita because Sony has tools available that devs can use to port games from PS3<--->Vita. It's basically free money for Sega.

Rika-chan
Mar 9, 2012, 05:30 PM
So...why would you buy a Vita for a single game anyway? :-o

TrueLugia121
Mar 9, 2012, 05:37 PM
that would be my point, Koga-chan. i bought Uncharted Golden Abyss on VITA Launch here in Australia but after that i got two more games at home with another on its way so doesn't hurt to have a hanful of tites for the VITA even though Sony's playing tricks with our bank accounts in terms of the price lol.

SephirothXer0
Mar 9, 2012, 05:45 PM
I bought a Gamecube just for PSO after the DC died

If I want to play PSO2, I'm either going to have to spend $500+ upgrading my PC or roughly the same amount on a Vita anyway, so why does it matter which one I pick?

Link1275
Mar 9, 2012, 05:48 PM
In case you didn't know there are apparently free full-version games available in the PSN Store.

MoonlightMyau
Mar 9, 2012, 05:50 PM
The issue is that most of us have followed the series since the beginning (you may have as well). We've seen how PSO on the console fared (no content, limited if any updates ever), we watched it get PORTED to PC with Blue Burst and still receive limited to no updates. We watched as PSU was released on PS2 and PC and saw how much that completely sucked.

With the terrible track record that these games have of ever releasing new content/bug fixes... seeing it being released on multiple platforms just kills any hope that this game will be any better. At least with a PC only release, we knew that the game was built from the ground up on PC and would be receiving updates/bug fixes/etc. The fact that it's coming out of Japan and we usually get shafted as well because of localization issues... just makes this seem worse and worse.

My worry is history repeating it's self (again). I was hoping they'd go down the more long term, PC-only route with PSO2, for loads of reasons. Having it on a console (in my opinion) automatically gives the game a sell by date.

The only positive I can see is that the players will be on the same server.

r00tabaga
Mar 9, 2012, 05:54 PM
In case you didn't know there are apparently free full-version games available in the PSN Store.

Where!? Vita games or PSP?

I bought a Gamecube & PSP just for Phantasy Star and was going down the road of buying a gaming rig for PSO2. I have a Vita and PS3 and couldn't be happier.

Laughing out loudly @ some of these recent posts...holy cow

ttdestroy
Mar 9, 2012, 06:04 PM
Ehhh, great news for PSV owners, for everyone else, not so much. Think Sony kicked a small fortune over to Sega for this favor?

Sorry just a Lil irritated, I thought Sega learned their lesson last time they released a game on vastly different systems, apparently not. Please for the love of all that's good and righteous separate the servers! The last thing I need is to have a PSV user on ATT 3G, rubberbanding the whole game.

Congrats Sega/Sony you just reminded me of all the other game you've ruined for me.

moorebounce
Mar 9, 2012, 06:15 PM
I bought a Gamecube just for PSO after the DC died

If I want to play PSO2, I'm either going to have to spend $500+ upgrading my PC or roughly the same amount on a Vita anyway, so why does it matter which one I pick?

I got a Gamecube for the same reason and I still only own one game for my Gamecube. I don't have to spend $500+ to get my PC rig up to par. I have to spend between $100-$150 at the most. I've been eyeing Tera Online and the only thing keeping from playing it is my video card. Sega better hurry up and release this thing before I go the way of the Tera. lol

Arkios
Mar 9, 2012, 06:25 PM
I got a Gamecube for the same reason and I still only own one game for my Gamecube. I don't have to spend $500+ to get my PC rig up to par. I have to spend between $100-$150 at the most. I've been eyeing Tera Online and the only thing keeping from playing it is my video card. Sega better hurry up and release this thing before I go the way of the Tera. lol

Upgrade your card now and get in these Closed Betas man! I'm going to be playing Tera until PSO2 comes to US.

Uncle_bob
Mar 9, 2012, 06:31 PM
Oh boy, this is going to be a repeat of PSU being dragged down by the PS2. I figured console garbage would inevitably ruin the game. :disapprove:

What's next? "We're aiming for a wider audience with PSO2."?

ttdestroy
Mar 9, 2012, 06:35 PM
I'm glad some people understand you don't need $500 for a new PC, a barebones can prolly play PSO2 decently.

You can build a killer rig for $500, but for PSO2 I think a midrange would suffice. And IMO even at a price higher than the Vita it would be better spent ( www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/01/04/an-exciting-list-of-pc-games-for-2012/ ).

Saotome Kaneda
Mar 9, 2012, 06:37 PM
The last thing I need is to have a PSV user on ATT 3G, rubberbanding the whole game.

If you knew anything about the console you're trashing you would know that no network game uses 3G as a primary connection. It's all WiFi. 3G is used for system based things only(like updates).

EvilMag
Mar 9, 2012, 06:39 PM
I'm glad some people understand you don't need $500 for a new PC, a barebones can prolly play PSO2 decently.

You can build a killer rig for $500, but for PSO2 I think a midrange would suffice.

My brother spent around $400 for all the parts to build his rig and its capable of running Crysis 2 better than the console versions. (Saying this because he didn't max out the settings.)

ttdestroy
Mar 9, 2012, 06:45 PM
If you knew anything about the console you're trashing you would know that no network game uses 3G as a primary connection. It's all WiFi. 3G is used for system based things only(like updates).

I know quite a bit about the Vita, thx though. ( gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-/62090124 )

Saotome Kaneda
Mar 9, 2012, 06:54 PM
I know quite a bit about the Vita, thx though. ( gamefaqs.com/boards/620272-/62090124 )

Then if that's the case, and they DO allow it for this game, with a rather hectic FG being played what makes you think that PSO2 players on 3G are gonna "rubberband" around?

MelancholyWitch
Mar 9, 2012, 07:01 PM
You guys aren't thinking about this in a realistic way you're only comparing the 2 devices and saying the what if's based on their capabilities, realistically if they release the SAME game on 2 different time periods on 2 different devices that's just disaster waiting to happen because,

A) The PC version will not be receiving any events or updates until the PS Vita version because it wouldn't very fair to the PS vita buyers if it did so it will be set back.

or

B) The release date for the PC version will actually be delayed out of fairness for the PS vita version why would they make it fair for one and not the other?

Point being is they are going back on something they said, which in the past when they have done this disaster occurred. I just wish they would keep things the way they say it would happen I'm not some console hater or anything seeing as I played both the DC and GC versions of PSO a lot more than any PC game I've played but how can it be possible to keep both buyers of the game happy if everything did not go the same? Right down to the release date.

r00tabaga
Mar 9, 2012, 07:07 PM
I doubt very seriously that they would consider 3G for this type of game.

And word to the wise.......people who build their own PCs know of how cheap creating a custom rig can be, HOWEVER people like me who are not PC gamers won't know how to put the damn thing together. Now throw in the trouble of finding some nerd to build it for you and pay him or buy Alienware, Asus, etc. You're now looking at some serious cash.

ttdestroy
Mar 9, 2012, 07:15 PM
Then if that's the case, and they DO allow it for this game, with a rather hectic FG being played what makes you think that PSO2 players on 3G are gonna "rubberband" around?

PSO2 from what we've is probably gonna require significantly more throughput than BB, why? This guy only burned through 12mb in a game that lasted at the most 297 seconds. How much you wanna bet that Portable 2 uses more than ~2mb a minute, let alone PSO2.

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 07:29 PM
I love how some of you took my post so wrong and assumed I was against this altogether which I'm not. Hell I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy it.

Let me re-word it:

Imagine what the average kid would say to their parents in todays economy that they want this game for their new 'GameBoy' that requires a wifi connection and a subscription to even play it.

If I was the 'average' parent (and I do stress this a lot) I'll be kinda like "What!? Your 'GameBoy' game now needs my credit card and rent money!?."

It's like if your parents bought you a few of the Pokemon games for you handheld in the past no problem and then the newest one now requires this, the average parent would flip!

This is a "hummmmm..." moment, no need to even reply.

SephirothXer0
Mar 9, 2012, 07:35 PM
I think people are seriously underestimating the Vita, Sega and Sony. This is not 2004 any more. The hardware is much more powerful, and unlike the PS2 the Vita and PS3 are HEAVILY online-based.

PSU on PS2 was a bad idea because online was just a little novelty on that system. Sony has since turned their focus to quality online gaming and have even removed their previous policies regarding updates so that online games can be updated as soon as the dev wants it to without having to go through a Sony approval.

I'm not saying this is definitely going to run perfectly, but do realize that times have changed since PSU.

I love how some of you took my post so wrong and assumed I was against this altogether which I'm not. Hell I'm pretty sure I'm gonna buy it.

Let me re-word it:

Imagine what the average kid would say to their parents in todays economy that they want this game for their new 'GameBoy' that requires a wifi connection and a subscription to even play it.

If I was the 'average' parent (and I do stress this a lot) I'll be kinda like "What!? Your 'GameBoy' game now needs my credit card and rent money!?."

It's like if your parents bought you a few of the Pokemon games for you handheld in the past no problem and then the newest one now requires this, the average parent would flip!

This is a "hummmmm..." moment, no need to even reply.

The average parent now pays for iPhones, Android phones, cable internet, Xbox Live, Netflix, and a cadre of other subscription-based services both for themselves and for their kids. You're also assuming that they don't already have a WiFi connection when a huge percentage of PC owners have laptops with wireless connections, mostly high school and college students. Maybe OUR parents would think that way, but not today's parents. Like I said, times have changed.

•Col•
Mar 9, 2012, 07:43 PM
You're implying that people HAVE to play this on the Vita and acting like people will go out and buy a Vita solely for this game...

The system is $250 last time I checked, you have no idea what the cost of either game(s) will be. As mentioned before, the 3G is mostly for updates. I don't believe you can play games over 3G. (They would play like crap if you could)

Also, you're acting like $500 for a years worth of fun isn't worth it (Countless hours per month).

I didn't say you had to.

I pointed out that SEVERAL people in this thread alone have pointed out they are going to get a Vita SOLELY for this game.

And for the people saying I was exaggerating the price...

Let's assume the Vita will drop down to $200 by the time the game comes out... Still around $100 for both versions of the game... Subscription fee... Yeah, still $420+ for a year of playing.

And yeah, $500 is quite a bit of money to shell out on one game. D: If you do spend that much.... You better be playing that dang game every day all year long.

Link1275
Mar 9, 2012, 07:45 PM
Where!? Vita games or PSP?

I bought a Gamecube & PSP just for Phantasy Star and was going down the road of buying a gaming rig for PSO2. I have a Vita and PS3 and couldn't be happier.

Laughing out loudly @ some of these recent posts...holy cow

From what I read they have free VITA games available for the PSVita.

The average parent now pays for iPhones, Android phones, cable internet, Xbox Live, Netflix, and a cadre of other subscription-based services both for themselves and for their kids. You're also assuming that they don't already have a WiFi connection when a huge percentage of PC owners have laptops with wireless connections, mostly high school and college students. Maybe OUR parents would think that way, but not today's parents. Like I said, times have changed.
I don't know about other teenagers, but my parents sure as heck wouldn't pay for me to play an online game. If I want to play PSO2 I'm going to have to earn the money myself(Assuming it's even P2P, but I'm still going to have to get the money for a Vita).

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 07:48 PM
A) The PC version will not be receiving any events or updates until the PS Vita version because it wouldn't very fair to the PS vita buyers if it did so it will be set back.

or

B) The release date for the PC version will actually be delayed out of fairness for the PS vita version why would they make it fair for one and not the other?

As for A, we don't know how or what will happen after the PC version comes out. But it's hard to imagine Sega would delay events or updates because there'd be no users left by the time the Vita version rolled out. For B, let me quote the blog.

『PSO2』PC版は2012年リリースに変更はありません。
There will be no change in the 2012 release date for the PC version of PSO2.

SephirothXer0
Mar 9, 2012, 07:49 PM
From what I read they have free VITA games available for the PSVita.

I don't know about other teenagers, but my parents sure as heck wouldn't pay for me to play an online game. If I want to play PSO2 I'm going to have to earn the money myself(Assuming it's even P2P, but I'm still going to have to get the money for a Vita).

Well if you can't earn 10 bucks a month you have bigger problems than missing out on PSO2. Just sayin'.

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 07:51 PM
You're also assuming that they don't already have a WiFi connection...

Nope, you did. I was saying this, 'Your, take it anywhere you want, handheld console game now needs a connection to even play'. Never said anything about anyone not having one or access to a wifi source.

Again, I made this post so you can think to yourself and go "hummmm, now this thing requires a subscription and internet like a PC game..."

Well if you can't earn 10 bucks a month you have bigger problems than missing out on PSO2. Just sayin'.

Did you ever think someone saying no to pay a fee for a game may be something other than a money issue?

Angelo
Mar 9, 2012, 08:09 PM
I think I'm mainly upset because this means that if the game can run on devices with such poor latency then characters probably are not going to be synced up properly across all screens, like the mess in PsPortable.

I would really like to be wrong here. Someone who knows more about the Vita's specs come and prove me wrong.

Akaimizu
Mar 9, 2012, 08:13 PM
Well, the thing is Vita technically has the best network capability of all the Sony devices, so far. Better suited than PS3. Though I can't say if that means it'll be good enough or not. But I'm keeping an open mind about that and won't assume it is bad.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 9, 2012, 08:18 PM
As for A, we don't know how or what will happen after the PC version comes out. But it's hard to imagine Sega would delay events or updates because there'd be no users left by the time the Vita version rolled out. For B, let me quote the blog.

There will be no change in the 2012 release date for the PC version of PSO2.

What I meant was not amount of users left but rather less people would probably want to get the handheld version when they could something in game during let's say X event that will happen much earlier than the Vita I just don't see how they would bring it all about together, I would just be upset myself (even though I probably wouldn't get a PS vita) if there was something you could get on PC version because of an update/event that would end before the release of the PS vita version.

Well we have seen such Quotes such as "For PC only" SO even that statement could be subject to change. I just hope they don't put too much work into the handheld version and forget any updates/events they were planning to do at launch of PSO2.

Ark22
Mar 9, 2012, 08:21 PM
They probably meant PC only because they didn't think that far ahead into the future. You guys are tripping lol

Mike
Mar 9, 2012, 08:23 PM
What I meant was not amount of users left but rather less people would probably want to get the handheld version when they could something in game during let's say X event that will happen much earlier than the Vita I just don't see how they would bring it all about together.
The Vita version and PC version will share servers and accounts. Any events that happen before the Vita version's release won't happen on the Vita.

Well we have seen such Quotes such as "For PC only" SO even that statement could be subject to change. I just hope they don't put too much work into the handheld version and forget any updates/events they were planning to do at launch of PSO2.
The Vita version and PC versions are being developed by different teams. The Vita version won't eat in to the PC version's development schedule. Delays due to other things, like trying to improve the game or other internal Sega stuff, is different though.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 9, 2012, 08:25 PM
They probably meant PC only because they didn't think that far ahead into the future. You guys are tripping lol

or rather at the time they didn't know they could do it or wasn't possible anything's subject to change.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 9, 2012, 08:27 PM
The Vita version and PC version will share servers and accounts. Any events that happen before the Vita version's release won't happen on the Vita.

The Vita version and PC versions are being developed by different teams. The Vita version won't eat in to the PC version's development schedule. Delays due to other things, like trying to improve the game or other internal Sega stuff, is different though.

well that makes me feel better about it then I assumed it would be the entire team working on it, I wasn't able to edit quick enough but I'm thinking in terms of an event reward or an update reward that would only be around that time period it would seem weird to have to re release it on the PS vita in a way that the PC wouldn't have a second shot at getting said reward. I'm probably just thinking too much into I just wouldn't want the PS vita buyers to get shafted because of release dates.

Cayenne
Mar 9, 2012, 08:28 PM
If there was ever a time to prove a handheld can handle it's own against a PC version of the same game, this is it.

SEGA isn't dumb anymore and they will pull this off.

youcantcatchtheblue
Mar 9, 2012, 09:42 PM
Lol, I almost forgot that some people still rely on their parents to buy them games. I'm glad I have my own job and can use my money however I like 8-)

Anyway, some people are missing the point that PC version will still be the main game. Vita version is just an extra for the die hard gamers who want to be on this MMO 24/7 whether they're at home on their PC or on the go / at work with their Vita. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave out the Vita version free for PC owners since it's the same game.

Aumi
Mar 9, 2012, 10:08 PM
I'll probably get a Vita at some point, so hoping that the Vita version reaches Europe. I really like the idea of being able to sit at a hot spot, playing PSO2, when I'm not near my PC.

Aside from that, liking the new designs!

ShadowDragon28
Mar 9, 2012, 10:22 PM
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

HUcastRyu
Mar 9, 2012, 10:25 PM
This seems like a very smart move from SEGA! Portable systems seem more popular than gaming computers in Japan. Also pso2 would destroy my computer but at least the psvita isn't region coded and I now have a chance of actually getting the game. I hope there isn't a monthly fee though...

kyuuketsuki
Mar 9, 2012, 11:49 PM
And to the pictures, did anyone else remember Jet Grind (Set) Radio's character Beat when they saw those goggles?
When I saw that outfit I immediately thought of Jet Grind/Set Radio, and not just the goggles. The overall look is very JGR, which is awesome, and it fits neatly into the PSO2 universe
Wonder how people will feel after the PS3 and 360 versions are announced later this month.
Keep dreamin'.

Ark22
Mar 9, 2012, 11:51 PM
Ps3 yeah, 360..AFTER PSU?!

ShinMaruku
Mar 10, 2012, 12:08 AM
I just hope this doesn't end up like the PS2 version of PSU ended.
I think even if it were not on ps2 sonic team would have still fucked up. I had no faith in the Sonic team of that time.
Right now it all rests on weather Sega is ready to really make this an effort.

NoiseHERO
Mar 10, 2012, 01:14 AM
What setbacks? Sega proved they could put Phantasy Star on a portable and have it play well with PS Portable and now we have Vita...which is an even more capable platform in terms of graphics and controls (dual analog).

And why do you assume this will hold back the main game but the console versions wouldn't? I personally don't see Sega being held back by the Vita in any way. It is a VERY, VERY capable device. If they were they wouldn't even attempt this. The fact that the data is going to be shared across platforms ensures the two versions will stay in sync. Sony is very open when it comes to patches/content updates. They aren't Microsoft. Just watch... the PC, Vita, and PS3 versions will share data.

A couple of more reasons why this makes sense:
1. People are moving away from their consoles and PCs and using mobile devices more.
2. Sega will likely sell more copies of the game now because people will purchase a version for their home and another for Vita.
3. Granting people access at home and when they are away from home means that people will be able to play this game more then they would have on PC/console alone. That means more users throughout the day. More concurrent users = good.

Vita is $250 now, not $300...likely less in 2013 when this game comes out. 3G on Vita isn't used to play games. It is used for downloads. A 3G plan will not be required. This game uses wifi. Also there are other Vita games I'm interested in so the cost will be amortized over the years.

There is also still a good chance this game will be free to play. People aren't paying for subscriptions anymore. 2011 was a wake up call for a lot of companies regarding this. There is a lot more competition and as a result people have a lot more alternatives then they used to 5 years ago.

Nice try though.

You may end up being right, but if this generation taught Japanese companies anything it taught them how to do cross-platform development. The market basically forced them to learn (some might argue they are still learning). I don't think it is as big of an issue any more and that it will be even less of an issue going forward. Sega probably already has a framework in place to reduce/eliminate redundancy.

Whoa whoa...

I was SUPPORTING the Vita version, I was saying that the Vita version wouldn't hold be it's PC brother, even though the Vita would have some disadvantages. (Needing online connection, subscription, graphics won't be as great as a power PC's, ect) Not setbacks for the PC version.

What's with all the overreacting and misunderstandings in this thread? @_@ Are you guys reading anything???

Including people that are just seeing "Handheld has same game and shares same server as my promised PC only PSO2."

Anyway, Other Mike already cleared up anything I'd end up saying 40 times in this thread. @_@

Vampiro_X
Mar 10, 2012, 01:37 AM
XBOX 360 and PS3 are very close to getting PSO2 !!!!! YES!!!!!

NoiseHERO
Mar 10, 2012, 01:45 AM
I don't even wanna hear about console bickering, this Vita thing is something else.

PS3 I could possibly imagine.. maybe late 2014 or something if you guys are lucky, if you're even gonna wait that long.

XBOX? fucking impossssssssssssssssssssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii ble. Japans hatred of Microsoft, and XBOX 360 PSU's current state because of how annoying it is to deal with updating games with microsoft should be common sense enough.

Their plan after they killed the PS2/PC version was to step the XBOX version so it could catch up to the JP PC version, which our 360 version is shared with the japanese players 360 version, and it STILL sucks ass.

So yeah XBOX isn't happenin' and PS3? There's a few interesting games on the Vita in general that are making me think "How come nobody wanted to put interesting games on PS3??"

So yeah, don't push your luck just yet console enthusiasts. And this Vita version too is still REALLY far off.

SilverFoxR
Mar 10, 2012, 01:48 AM
Honestly, when I heard that this would have linked Vita support, I was pretty freakin' amazed. This is one of the first games I can think of that's ever done console to PC linking and with a game like PSO2, that's just awesome.

I am bummed out about the game being "online only", though... an offline version... even offline WiFi multiplayer for when an internet connection isn't available would have been great. That way, you can play when there isn't net access.

Still, I suppose it's to prevent tactics like playing a game offline, trading items with a friend, then play the game online with the other platform (switching to go on PC if you were offline with the Vita) to essentially act as if the trade never happened (thus duplicating the item). That and glitches could be possible if you could play offline, then update next time you log in (especially with cross-platform systems).

Oh well... I was just going to get the PC version... looks like I have another reason to have a Vita... though I hope you don't have to buy each disk separately at retail price... that would kinna suck.

Macman
Mar 10, 2012, 02:10 AM
Idiots need to realize that people aren't ragging on the Vita's processing power when it comes to "dragging down the PC version."

The fact that they'll have to go through Sony before Vita gets anything is going to staunch any additional content being released for PC.
Hasn't anyone learned from PSU?

Oh and r00tabega or whatever the hell it's spelled, just pipe down. You don't know what you are talking about and you don't need a goddamn waste-of-money Alienware to run anything.

SilverFoxR
Mar 10, 2012, 02:28 AM
The fact that they'll have to go through Sony before Vita gets anything is going to staunch any additional content being released for PC.
Hasn't anyone learned from PSU?

I have a feeling that this won't be much of an issue. They've likely gotten the ground work for a contract between the two if they've gone far enough as to announce PSO2 coming to Vita. Now, this is just speculation, but I have a feeling that Sega will have pretty much free run on what they add to the game. If the PC gets free DLC, it's very likely the Vita version will have free DLC on the store as well. Unlike Microsoft, Sony seems to be a bit more lenient about such things. After all, if the game is cross-platform, new content coming to one and not the other will be a non-issue. After all, if one gets it, both have to... especially if you can transfer account data back and forth from the Vita and PC.

One other thing that kind of excites me about this announcement that I didn't mention in my prior post is that it's not likely that PSO2 will utillize a pay-to-play subscription setup due to the hassle swapping between PC and Vita will bring. Also, Sony doesn't tend to have many games which use the subscription fee system... this means that we're likely looking at a retail disc purchase that lets you play the game... and that's it...

...and I've been hoping this was the case ever since I heard about PSO2.

r00tabaga
Mar 10, 2012, 02:32 AM
@Mack Man: vFunny, cuz that's SEGA's choice of PC when they demo PSO2 at the next developers conference. Look it up.
And no, I don't know anything bout building PCs, that's why I would have to buy a complete system. Now I won't have to and I don't mind waiting a few extra months for the Vita version.

NoiseHERO
Mar 10, 2012, 02:37 AM
I know it's exactly the thought everyone that's paranoid is trying to force, But I'm still going to say that it'd make absolutely no sense for the Vita version of the game to slow down PSO2's updates.

Didn't someone say that Vita games can be updated whenever the developers wanted?

And even if that's not the case it'd still be stupid to slow down just for the vita version (Which again, wouldn't even be out for another year.) So if anything even though it'd share the same server, the Vita version could just lag behind on it's own, like how people playing on trail accounts in other games can't enjoy certain content.

I don't think Sakai is stupid enough to to do this without considering the problems that plagued PSU. And I think after he's proved himself on multiple occasions, he should have earned our trust on that a long time ago.

Arika
Mar 10, 2012, 02:38 AM
PSPo2 sale in PSP did very very well in the history.

So I think they gonna hope that VITA would do the same. (VITA also has no Monster Hunter yet!)

SilverFoxR
Mar 10, 2012, 05:41 AM
I know it's exactly the thought everyone that's paranoid is trying to force, But I'm still going to say that it'd make absolutely no sense for the Vita version of the game to slow down PSO2's updates.

Didn't someone say that Vita games can be updated whenever the developers wanted?

And even if that's not the case it'd still be stupid to slow down just for the vita version (Which again, wouldn't even be out for another year.) So if anything even though it'd share the same server, the Vita version could just lag behind on it's own, like how people playing on trail accounts in other games can't enjoy certain content.

I don't think Sakai is stupid enough to to do this without considering the problems that plagued PSU. And I think after he's proved himself on multiple occasions, he should have earned our trust on that a long time ago.

Well, one reason it would slow down devellopment by a little bit is the compatability issue and testing the connection when Vita and PC users play it. I know most of us are salavating over this thing and that we all REALLY wanna get our grubby little mits on it, but a month or two delay (compared to the delay we've already had so far) isn't gonna kill anyone. Patience is a virtue, after all.

As to the "mistakes" from PSU, it's more than likely that they've heard enough consumer feedback to learn from and prevent the issue... so show at least a little faith.

Basicly, all I can say is to calm down, relax and just wait and see what happens.

Leon-Sky
Mar 10, 2012, 10:23 AM
To be honest I am so happy about this news because I've been wanting to play PSO2 since. I don't have a powerful PC ,just a normal laptop for work and stuff. I thought it will be a breakthrough for me that SEGA will release it in vita also. So my dream is within my grasp, but after reading all the things that you guys talked about the game and stuff especially PSO2 in vita is useless without connection and not a stand alone game, it broke my heart. I am expecting that even this game is online, you can play it offline stand alone.Like PSP2I. I will buy a non 3g Vita tomorrow but I'm having second thoughts about it. So i really don't know. We don't have a connection around so it will be useless.

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah, unlike PSU PS2 version the Vita can get updates. It won't hold PSO2 back in anyway, of course the updates are going to be smaller in data, to fit the memory card but the content will remain the same, this is a really good choice they made.

Corey Blue
Mar 10, 2012, 10:53 AM
I mean Im glad to see Sakai is trying to bring the PS community together from all sides,but this is double edge sword,now the pc version might get shafted because of the limitations of the Vita.OH and I said MIGHT.So hopefully this all works out.

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 10:55 AM
I mean Im glad to see Sakai is trying to bring the PS community together from all sides,but this is double edge sword,now the pc version might get shafted because of the limitations of the Vita.OH and I said MIGHT.So hopefully this all works out.

Yeah, it's something they prolly worked out you know. Before creating the VITA version, it won't get shafted in anyway the VITA is quite powerful.

Shye
Mar 10, 2012, 10:58 AM
Ok, if I'm reading my information correctly:

-PSO2 will only be online on the Vita, no offline mode to play.
-The 3G Vita does NOT allow gaming online over 3G service (except in rare cases for "asynchronous multiplayer" or turn-based games)

So the only way to play PSO2 on Vita is over Wifi?

That sounds more like an add-on feature to the game than an actual game released. I'm starting to wonder what the pricing structure for this is going to be if that's the case. Especially if they DO decide on monthly plan for some reason.

youcantcatchtheblue
Mar 10, 2012, 11:04 AM
Yes, the only real problem where Vita could hinder the PC version is memory. If PSO2 is a success and lasts more than 10 years, then all those accumulated updates will take up a huge chunk of memory on the Vita. It's going to be interesting to see how they will handle expansions and such. I really hope that PSO2 will be successful enough to reach that far though.

Angelo
Mar 10, 2012, 11:27 AM
Yes, the only real problem where Vita could hinder the PC version is memory. If PSO2 is a success and lasts more than 10 years, then all those accumulated updates will take up a huge chunk of memory on the Vita. It's going to be interesting to see how they will handle expansions and such. I really hope that PSO2 will be successful enough to reach that far though.

Honestly, the biggest I can ever see the game getting is 40 gb. That should be fine on the Vita, storage is not the issue, the issue is updating through PSN and network latency.

SilverFoxR
Mar 10, 2012, 12:24 PM
Honestly, the biggest I can ever see the game getting is 40 gb. That should be fine on the Vita, storage is not the issue, the issue is updating through PSN and network latency.

Network latency is going to happen no matter what... it's common with anything online. Take two computers playing the same online game and place them side by side. Do any action on the one computer and it will take at least half a second before the other computer displays the same action. I know from personal experience having played an MMO with friends in a computer lab.

Remember, data must run from the player's machine to the server, be processed and sent to the machines of other players who are in the vicinity. It's fast, but not instantaneous.

Some games are better for it (mainly fighting games), because the information is more or less localized between the two players... but in an MMO like this, it's much harder, since there are a lot more people in an area at once. Fortunately, the way this game works (more squad-based than anything else), there's less people in an area at once than, like WoW for example.

More than likely, Sega will run the servers and have it possible for the Vita to access them. Simple as that, really... as for power, the Vita is practicly a mini-PS3, so it's strong enough there... moreso than some of the PCs that'll be able to run the game.

landman
Mar 10, 2012, 12:56 PM
From my personal experience in the alpha, latency is less annoying in this game than it was in PSU, in PSU you get hit, but the animation and damage wont appear until you receive the information from the server. In PSO2, only the damage delay is displayed later in cases of extreme lag, you get hit, the animation appears at the same moment, and your gameplay experience is not affected by latency, except for the fact that you may be beating a long ago dead enemy.

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 12:58 PM
For the Vita, it's just like PSP2 the data is going to be reduced in quality to save GB's. Meaning it won't look the exact same in quality, so data will never become an issue for PSO2.

Angelo
Mar 10, 2012, 01:06 PM
Network latency is going to happen no matter what... it's common with anything online. Take two computers playing the same online game and place them side by side. Do any action on the one computer and it will take at least half a second before the other computer displays the same action. I know from personal experience having played an MMO with friends in a computer lab.

Remember, data must run from the player's machine to the server, be processed and sent to the machines of other players who are in the vicinity. It's fast, but not instantaneous.

Some games are better for it (mainly fighting games), because the information is more or less localized between the two players... but in an MMO like this, it's much harder, since there are a lot more people in an area at once. Fortunately, the way this game works (more squad-based than anything else), there's less people in an area at once than, like WoW for example.

More than likely, Sega will run the servers and have it possible for the Vita to access them. Simple as that, really... as for power, the Vita is practicly a mini-PS3, so it's strong enough there... moreso than some of the PCs that'll be able to run the game.

The thing is, the Phantasy Star series has been using a very archaic form of character sync since PSO. This is where all enemy position is synced on individual clients as opposed to the server. This was less noticable in PSO because, let's face it, the game was not quite as twitchy and action packed as the later installments of the series.

They used the same formula in PSU and it caused some noticable problems from time to time when it seemed like your partner was attacking 'nothing'. It made setting up team tactics difficult because of the unreliability. This went a step further in PsPortable2 where the handheld was not powerful enough to sync character position properly and thus enemies and positions were almost never synced (in my experience) with the map across all players.

The only time enemy data was handled server side was during boss battles.

I had hoped that since the game was coming to PC that they would have worked out a new system, but since I didn't team very often in alpha I couldn't communicate with players and test latency correctly. However... since there are now multiple parties per area, and skills (i.e. War Cry) that rely on the ability for enemies to be synced correctly on all screens that this wouldn't have been an issue... however... not that the Vita is in the picture I'm not sure what to think.

People are claiming that it's network capabilities are better than the PS3, which is promising since DCUO seemed to run smoothly, and it didn't hold back the PC version at all in terms of updates.

I did see in the video though where there are 4 people playing the game and 3 of them are on PC and one of them is using a Vita and it looked like the screens were synced almost perfectly... so as long as that wasn't a fluke, I'm fine with Vita support, in fact I'd be behind it.

Drithe
Mar 10, 2012, 02:11 PM
I dont feel like hunting for the info through all of these posts. So please tell me, can you bring your PC PSO2 characters to your Vita and play it? I mean that would be awesome if you could quit playing PSO2 on your computer and play it on your Vita while you wait for 30 minutes to see your doctor or dentist, take a bus ride, or just whatever. I will definitely by a Vita for this if it is so.

I cannot see buying a Vita to play an online only game. I mean if that was so I would want it for my PS3 and large screen tv. But, again, if I can switch and play the game on both my pc and vita then it is a sell.

End of Line.

I just read on another site that you in fact, can do so. So this is a must buy for me. Too bad you can't play it on the PS3. I would love to play it on my huge tv screen.

Now, if I could only use my VITA as a controller for the PC game .................

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 02:28 PM
I dont feel like hunting for the info through all of these posts. So please tell me, can you bring your PC PSO2 characters to your Vita and play it? I mean that would be awesome if you could quit playing PSO2 on your computer and play it on your Vita while you wait for 30 minutes to see your doctor or dentist, take a bus ride, or just whatever. I will definitely by a Vita for this if it is so.

I cannot see buying a Vita to play an online only game. I mean if that was so I would want it for my PS3 and large screen tv. But, again, if I can switch and play the game on both my pc and vita then it is a sell.

End of Line.

I just read on another site that you in fact, can do so. So this is a must buy for me. Too bad you can't play it on the PS3. I would love to play it on my huge tv screen.

Now, if I could only use my VITA as a controller for the PC game .................

Yes the character data is going to be shared server wise. And it's just like you said the VITA version is most likely for people who are at a hotel or rather don't own a PC in the first place.

You can switch at anytime, just like FF11

Ark22
Mar 10, 2012, 02:38 PM
Yes the character data is going to be shared server wise. And it's just like you said the VITA version is most likely for people who are at a hotel or rather don't own a PC in the first place.

You can switch at anytime, just like FF11

Or buy a laptop and it fits all your needs =). Big screen tv? Yes! Controllers? YESH!? PORTABLE?! HECK YEAH!

Caerik
Mar 10, 2012, 03:19 PM
Or buy a laptop and it fits all your needs =). Big screen tv? Yes! Controllers? YESH!? PORTABLE?! HECK YEAH!

What if you have all of the above?

Anyhow, this announcement convinced my old PSU group from my town to buy the vita. I'm not so lonely in owning one now.

Edit: Grammar failure.

Ark22
Mar 10, 2012, 03:22 PM
If you have all the above, then just get a laptop :P. Honestly I would want a vita just to fit it in my pocket.

Taigerr
Mar 10, 2012, 03:43 PM
Hi folks... newbie checking in :-).... never played PS before and I am not a pc gamer at all.

That said, I remember coming across PSO2 cinematic trailer (by sheer accident) ages ago when it landed on youtube and was intrigued but completely forgot about the title since.

Well my wife got me got the 3g vita as a birthday present yesterday, but I can't open it till the actual day of my birthday which is in 40 days time!!!

Anyway the recent news from sega is pretty exciting and the gameplay vids make this a must have for me at least on vita.

With wifi hotspots springing up everywhere all the time and the fact that by this time next year those fortunate to be in the position to upgrade their mobile phones will probably have the chance to jump to 4g and their handsets will pro'lly have the capability to be turned into a mobile hotspot..... for those stuck on 3g mobile data plans at that time, there's always this option which will hopefully be cheaper by then(?) http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/phones/cell-phone-detail.aspx?cell-phone=t-mobile-4g-mobile-hotspot

Infact maybe sony/third party co could bring out a nice little 4g wifi attachment of their own and vita owners can buy their own sim for it??

Anyway here's to happy hunting regardless of crossplay servers or not....

Caerik
Mar 10, 2012, 03:45 PM
I got it because I loved my PSP. It was portable and had some great games. Learning that the PS Vita's PSO game would be this is icing on the cake.

NoiseHERO
Mar 10, 2012, 03:49 PM
Well, one reason it would slow down devellopment by a little bit is the compatability issue and testing the connection when Vita and PC users play it. I know most of us are salavating over this thing and that we all REALLY wanna get our grubby little mits on it, but a month or two delay (compared to the delay we've already had so far) isn't gonna kill anyone. Patience is a virtue, after all.

As to the "mistakes" from PSU, it's more than likely that they've heard enough consumer feedback to learn from and prevent the issue... so show at least a little faith.

Basicly, all I can say is to calm down, relax and just wait and see what happens.

sfasjhfgksjhgfkjsf No, that's IS what I'm saying!

TL;DR: The Vita version should be a harmless add-on as another way to play this game and nothing more. Otherwise they wouldn't have even broken their PC only plan and bothered with this idea.

People are overeacting to this idea too much... @_@

Edit: Though as well people excited for the Vita version and jumping the gun expecting other console versions, it's still going to be like a year/year and a half away as far as we know... Not a "few months." Assuming it comes to the US.

ZER0 DX
Mar 10, 2012, 03:51 PM

I doubt the game will get that big. PSO2 Alpha 2 is only 1.19 GB, and PSU JP as of all the latest updates is only 5.78 GB.

Fitting the whole game onto a Vita card shouldn't be an issue.

Ark22
Mar 10, 2012, 04:02 PM
I thought people would be happy you could just spend a total of $290 on a vita with PSO2 instead of $400+ on a rig. You guys are so ungrateful D=<

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 04:03 PM
I thought people would be happy you could just spend a total of $290 on a vita with PSO2 instead of $400+ on a rig. You guys are so ungrateful D=<

lol I can't even get $400.
The VITA version is looking like my only way of playing this game, that is if my computer will pull through without upgrades.

Caerik
Mar 10, 2012, 04:07 PM
It's not that they're ungrateful, it's that they're aware of how this could go. (In worse case scenario) I would hate to be one of the people who supported the Vita release only to see it bring delay or update prevention to the PC.

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
It's not that they're ungrateful, it's that they're aware of how this could go. (In worse case scenario) I would hate to be one of the people who supported the Vita release only to see it bring delay or update prevention to the PC.

Yeah, but that's not going to happen the servers are merged. So developement will focus on both anyway. Nothing is being held back

Caerik
Mar 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
Yeah, but that's not going to happen the servers are merged. So developement will focus on both anyway. Nothing is being held back

That's one of the reasons I'm backing it. I was stating the absolute worst case scenario, which is what some people are anticipating.

Ark22
Mar 10, 2012, 04:43 PM
And again, since PSN removed the WE NEED TO TEST BEFORE RELEASING rule, devs can do what they want and release it whenever now. So yeah it's all good.

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 04:46 PM
That's one of the reasons I'm backing it. I was stating the absolute worst case scenario, which is what some people are anticipating.

Ah, I misread what you put then, but yeah I'm sure development team though of this before they annouced it.

NoiseHERO
Mar 10, 2012, 04:54 PM
but yeah I'm sure development team though of this before they annouced it.

This.

But whatever I'm a broken record I'll continue anticipating this game not sucking.

Zyrusticae
Mar 10, 2012, 05:00 PM
Um, PC/PS2 servers for PSU were "merged" but that didn't help things any... at all. In fact, it only made things much, much worse, though the game probably was going to suck regardless.

Now if you meant that we had global servers, that would actually be a good thing, but we have absolutely zero proof that such a thing is going to happen at this point in time and I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant anyways.

Caerik
Mar 10, 2012, 05:33 PM
This.

But whatever I'm a broken record I'll continue anticipating this game not sucking.

This too.

I have seen no signs of Sega, at least for now, proving incompetent at making this game be enjoyable.

Cayenne
Mar 10, 2012, 05:38 PM
I just thought of a really good idea someone should pitch to SEGA right now!!!

Make the PC and Vita work hand-in-hand, this is what I mean:

-Play PSO2 through your PC
-Use the Vita as a controller via Bluetooth or USB
-Make the entire screen for the Vita nothing but hotkeys for your spells/items and have an option to use the Vita's on-screen keyboard and shortcuts for a few character gestures.

What do you think?

Macman
Mar 10, 2012, 05:48 PM
@Mack Man: vFunny, cuz that's SEGA's choice of PC when they demo PSO2 at the next developers conference. Look it up.Well of course it would be! They probably got some sort of sponsorship deal with them.

I'll be fair with you and say I didn't know anything about how to get the right hardware for a PC build project a few years ago, but all it really takes these days is a couple articles to read up. It's almost fool-proof in the sense that "if this fits into this slot" it'll most likely work these days.

I got nothing against consoles, they're good for what they are designed for. I'm just really REALLY hesitant after getting burned so hard by PSU, and PSO:BB even.

r00tabaga
Mar 10, 2012, 05:49 PM
I just thought of a really good idea someone should pitch to SEGA right now!!!

Make the PC and Vita work hand-in-hand, this is what I mean:

-Play PSO2 through your PC
-Use the Vita as a controller via Bluetooth or USB
-Make the entire screen for the Vita nothing but hotkeys for your spells/items and have an option to use the Vita's on-screen keyboard and shortcuts for a few character gestures.

What do you think?

I can already do this with my 2 copies of MvC3 and it works great. I think this is a no-brainer if it is also released on PS3.

Edit: I also mentioned in another thread that I think they should let Vita users b able to DRAW with the touchscreen instead of typing, just like PSzero. Vita would then become the system of choice for most I would think. Ahhhh, memories of symbol chat come to mind as examples of things I would draw.

Cayenne
Mar 10, 2012, 05:56 PM
^Oh Yeah, sketching!

So someone that knowns japanese needs to send this to SEGA right meow.

Caerik
Mar 10, 2012, 06:03 PM
^Oh Yeah, sketching!

So someone that knowns japanese needs to send this to SEGA right meow.

Did you just meow..?

I wouldn't mind it. I never played PS Zero so I don't know the system for that, but it sounds interesting.

NoiseHERO
Mar 10, 2012, 06:09 PM
I used to love drawing...

Some pretty terrible and messed up things in PSZ...

Macman
Mar 10, 2012, 06:13 PM
Edit: I also mentioned in another thread that I think they should let Vita users b able to DRAW with the touchscreen instead of typing, just like PSzero. Vita would then become the system of choice for most I would think. Ahhhh, memories of symbol chat come to mind as examples of things I would draw.Ah yes, penises everywhere and touchscreen-made Sarisa porn.

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 06:39 PM
Um, PC/PS2 servers for PSU were "merged" but that didn't help things any... at all. In fact, it only made things much, much worse, though the game probably was going to suck regardless.

Now if you meant that we had global servers, that would actually be a good thing, but we have absolutely zero proof that such a thing is going to happen at this point in time and I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant anyways.

Global Servers wouldn't fix anything in fact it would cause more problems, most likely people just want it because they can't wait for things. The PC/PS2 version being merged wasn't held back the PS2's disc couldn't hold much more data.

Global Servers are quite hard to maintain having to deal with people of different languages, SEGA of Japan or rather Sonic Team isn't that good with english or other languages as their focus is that of Japanese. Thus being the problem you are right Global Server with PSO2 isn't going to happen, if it was SEGA of America would have said something about this a while ago, but they have not.

If you knew about PSU it lived it's lifespan, they were just trying to keep it going, but due to no HD on the PS2 that was slowly not possible, but the VITA will not have this problem, as it has a giant memory card.

MoonlightMyau
Mar 10, 2012, 07:02 PM
Global Servers wouldn't fix anything in fact it would cause more problems, most likely people just want it because they can't wait for things. The PC/PS2 version being merged wasn't held back the PS2's disc couldn't hold much more data.

Global Servers are quite hard to maintain having to deal with people of different languages, SEGA of Japan or rather Sonic Team isn't that good with english or other languages as their focus is that of Japanese. Thus being the problem you are right Global Server with PSO2 isn't going to happen, if it was SEGA of America would have said something about this a while ago, but they have not.

If you knew about PSU it lived it's lifespan, they were just trying to keep it going, but due to no HD on the PS2 that was slowly not possible, but the VITA will not have this problem, as it has a giant memory card.

As far as I am aware, there was stuff on the original disc that still hadn't been "released" at closure. Lack of memory card space (I know some people had hard drives for their PS2 but I think I am correct in saying the majority didn't) is what held the PS2/PC server back. Wasn't the Japanese PC server originally linked with Japanese PS2s? Look how that server is thriving now that it's just PC.

They managed international servers just fine on Dreamcast PSO.

People are bound to be cautious at this announcement given their previous experiences with Sonic Team and the Phantasy Star franchise.

Aki_Yoruno
Mar 10, 2012, 07:05 PM
I had the PS2HD and AotI... Pissed me off that they didn't utilize it or even let HD owners get exclusive updates to be up to par with the PC version.

EvilMag
Mar 10, 2012, 07:11 PM
As far as I am aware, there was stuff on the original disc that still hadn't been "released" at closure. Lack of memory card space (I know some people had hard drives for their PS2 but I think I am correct in saying the majority didn't) is what held the PS2/PC server back. Wasn't the Japanese PC server originally linked with Japanese PS2s? Look how that server is thriving now that it's just PC.

People are bound to be cautious at this announcement given their previous experiences with Sonic Team and the Phantasy Star franchise.

They were linked and whenever JP had Supplemental updates, PS2 users couldn't see the new weapon models. They only saw them as generic models. They did finally took down PS2 support last year around the time Update 3rd came.

MoonlightMyau
Mar 10, 2012, 07:19 PM
They were linked and whenever JP had Supplemental updates, PS2 users couldn't see the new weapon models. They only saw them as generic models. They did finally took down PS2 support last year around the time Update 3rd came.

That's what I thought happened, but wasn't 100% sure. So a bit like if you were still on Version One on DC when Version 2 came out, even that caused the odd issue.

Cayenne
Mar 10, 2012, 07:22 PM
You all have to have faith in SEGA and believe they have learned from their mistakes from PSU. PSO2 will rock weither you play it on PC or Vita.

Just knowing both systems use the same server gives you a big hint that they will make this work or why even bother in the first place.

Did you just meow..?

Ever see the movie Super Troopers?

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 07:28 PM

The reason they didn't use the HD on the Ps2 because at the time it wasn't being sold, that thing was mainly only for FF11. It wouldn't take anything else, which is why they didn't use it.

When companies make games, sometimes they don't want to use everything at once or sometimes use it at all. The Japanese server for the PC/Ps2 was together but due to the extra updates and how outdated the PS2 was they just decided to drop it.

The server isn't exactly thriving, if you see on 2chan that one of the most talked discussions is the dropping population. The Internation PSO DC might have went well because there wasn't really any updates PSO is extremely old, there wasn't that many problems to worry about back then, PSO2 will need more techincal support.

Myself can't really see why people are so cautious about Sonic Team, I think they did pretty good with the series overseas, truthfully.

MoonlightMyau
Mar 10, 2012, 07:50 PM
The reason they didn't use the HD on the Ps2 because at the time it wasn't being sold, that thing was mainly only for FF11. It wouldn't take anything else, which is why they didn't use it.

When companies make games, sometimes they don't want to use everything at once or sometimes use it at all. The Japanese server for the PC/Ps2 was together but due to the extra updates and how outdated the PS2 was they just decided to drop it.

The server isn't exactly thriving, if you see on 2chan that one of the most talked discussions is the dropping population. The Internation PSO DC might have went well because there wasn't really any updates PSO is extremely old, there wasn't that many problems to worry about back then, PSO2 will need more techincal support.

Myself can't really see why people are so cautious about Sonic Team, I think they did pretty good with the series overseas, truthfully.

I seem to remember it being widely available actually. I couldn't give a monkeys why it was used or not. The fact still remains that the PS2 memory card limitations is what held that version of the game back.

But it was stuff used in the offline version of the game & some released since on the Japanese server and xbox versions. You said the discs couldn't handle much more, my point was that there was loads still unused on the original disc, let alone AotI, stuff that COULD have been used. Whether they want to or not is irrelevant.

You said they "aren't good with other languages" and that, that would be the reason for segregated servers. There was regular updates for a long time on PSO DC & GC with various languages catered for & enough demand for a whole other disc of content/updates on DC & a further 2 episodes on GC.

I don't think anybody has said that ST haven't done a good job, but history shows that with this series when they begin to spread themselves too thinly, that things start to go wrong. But when they stick to one platform they thrive.

moorebounce
Mar 10, 2012, 08:34 PM

Everybody started being cautious when the Dreamcast went down and PSU didn't help matters either. Sega just started to get their momentum or Mojo back with the portable PSO games.

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 08:44 PM
I seem to remember it being widely available actually. I couldn't give a monkeys why it was used or not. The fact still remains that the PS2 memory card limitations is what held that version of the game back.

But it was stuff used in the offline version of the game & some released since on the Japanese server and xbox versions. You said the discs couldn't handle much more, my point was that there was loads still unused on the original disc, let alone AotI, stuff that COULD have been used. Whether they want to or not is irrelevant.

You said they "aren't good with other languages" and that, that would be the reason for segregated servers. There was regular updates for a long time on PSO DC & GC with various languages catered for & enough demand for a whole other disc of content/updates on DC & a further 2 episodes on GC.

I don't think anybody has said that ST haven't done a good job, but history shows that with this series when they begin to spread themselves too thinly, that things start to go wrong. But when they stick to one platform they thrive.

No, the game's lifeline was finished the "Suplemental Updates" were just extending it, buy the time PSU actually came out that HD PS2 was extremely hard to find, because of the new slim model of the ps2.

The other languages were translated by SEGA of America, for almost every game I can think of there is always stuff unused that will never change. If I remember correctly, PSO didn't have any actual updates, it was just modfied data and keys to unlock weapons and items. I don't remember ever getting something that wasn't on the disc, other then PSO:BB.

Sonic Team, has never hurt themselves, to where things can go wrong, not that I remember. They are a pretty nice team.

Everybody started being cautious when the Dreamcast went down and PSU didn't help matters either. Sega just started to get their momentum or Mojo back with the portable PSO games.

Sonic Team always had their "mojo" and personally I know they have never lost it, ever. The DC I believe went down because it was not selling, cause of the PS2. Now with PSU I'm not sure what Sonic Team did personally.

moorebounce
Mar 10, 2012, 08:55 PM
Sonic Team always had their "mojo" and personally I know they have never lost it, ever. The DC I believe went down because it was not selling, cause of the PS2. Now with PSU I'm not sure what Sonic Team did personally.

Sonic Team lost their mojo when Yuji Naka left in 2006 and they have been trying to get it back ever since. PSU wouldn't have happened if Yuji Naka was still there.

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 09:04 PM
Sonic Team lost their mojo when Yuji Naka left in 2006 and they have been trying to get it back ever since. PSU wouldn't have happened if Yuji Naka was still there.

I don't agree with that Yuji Naka, was terrible with the Sonic series. If PSU didn't happen, I'm not sure what I would have been doing in 2006 when PSU was released. I'm a Phantasy Star fan which means, I do love every game in the series.

EvilMag
Mar 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
Sonic Team losing its mojo is the reason why nobody wanted PSO2 to be develop by them. Thank god they aren't.

NoiseHERO
Mar 10, 2012, 10:07 PM
Give up Totori, these guys are gonna stay irrationally pessimistic, until it hits em in the face that they're just overreacting.

Ark22
Mar 10, 2012, 10:17 PM
Man...you guys need hugs.

Totori
Mar 10, 2012, 10:28 PM
Give up Totori, these guys are gonna stay irrationally pessimistic, until it hits em in the face that they're just overreacting.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I couldn't see that eariler.

Zyrusticae
Mar 11, 2012, 12:03 AM
I'm not sure how it's irrational when PSU was fucking terrible and signs are pointing towards PSO2 suffering similar issues in the end.

I WANT to be proven wrong! Hopefully I will be! But until then, I am not getting my hopes up like some of you folks are.

ShinMaruku
Mar 11, 2012, 12:04 AM
You guys have a rosy view of that man but he was a bellend.
The decline of SOnic team began well before naka left.

Macman
Mar 11, 2012, 01:10 AM
Give up Totori, these guys are gonna stay irrationally pessimistic, until it hits em in the face that they're just overreacting.I'll laugh at your face when PSO2 US/EU closes within 4 years after release, then cry because history repeats itself.

Better go learn some Japanese.

NoiseHERO
Mar 11, 2012, 01:35 AM
History repeats itself all the time, unless you've learned from the past.

But this current PSO2 team(This game is clearly NOT PSU and it's lead by the guy that DIDN'T fuck up PSU, mind you.) Has Proven way too many times with the last 5 games AND with this game's development that they HAVE learned from the past.

Treating this game like PSU, and treating the Vita like the PS2 or XBOX sure sounds irrational to me.

@ Macman: I'm already playing the japanese version first. and I sat through PSU like a man and enjoyed it. So yeah history repeating it'self will be all of you guys bitching, and that being my entertainment either way.

moorebounce
Mar 11, 2012, 02:09 AM
I don't agree with that Yuji Naka, was terrible with the Sonic series. If PSU didn't happen, I'm not sure what I would have been doing in 2006 when PSU was released. I'm a Phantasy Star fan which means, I do love every game in the series.

lol I love every game in the online series but PSU. Sega knows whats up thats why it's "PSO2" and not "PSU2"

MoonlightMyau
Mar 11, 2012, 06:43 AM
No, the game's lifeline was finished the "Suplemental Updates" were just extending it, buy the time PSU actually came out that HD PS2 was extremely hard to find, because of the new slim model of the ps2.

The other languages were translated by SEGA of America, for almost every game I can think of there is always stuff unused that will never change. If I remember correctly, PSO didn't have any actual updates, it was just modfied data and keys to unlock weapons and items. I don't remember ever getting something that wasn't on the disc, other then PSO:BB.

Sonic Team, has never hurt themselves, to where things can go wrong, not that I remember. They are a pretty nice team.

There was a WHOLE OTHER DISC full of content released for the Dreamcast alone. How is that not an actual update? A lot of the general updates may very well have been modified data and stuff on the discs. But it was a console game in a time where most people were using dial-up internet. It certainly wasn't marketed as a PC game at that point.

It doesn't matter who translated what, in fact if I remember correctly at least some of it was done by Sega Europe, where the EU servers were based (London I think?). The point was that with even more limitations back then they managed global servers just fine. I don't know why you'd expect them to be taking a step backwards in that respect when you reckon they've come on leaps and bounds in others.

PSU clearly hadn't run it's lifespan when the PS2/PC US/EU versions shut down - infact it hadn't even reached it's 5 year predicted life expectancy, the supplementary updates will have extended it yes, but you don't extend something there is no demand for.

All I am trying to point out to you, is that some people will be cautious & given the history and evidence they have a right to be. It may turn out to be fantastic for the game, certainly more players is a good thing.

Vashyron
Mar 11, 2012, 09:12 AM
I'm still being neutral about this, but my own selfish interests would rather have had this PC only because undoubtedly having to develop a game on more than one platform WILL hold the game back compared if they were only developing the game for only one.

This could range from "little" things such as delayed updates as they'll need to update the Vita and PC at the same time. To perhaps bigger things such as can't get X to work on Vita? Well PC can't have it either then.

Though I'll stay optimistic and hope that they have this all figured out already for it to go smoothly as possible but we'll see.

Spellbinder
Mar 11, 2012, 12:18 PM
I'm still being neutral about this, but my own selfish interests would rather have had this PC only because undoubtedly having to develop a game on more than one platform WILL hold the game back compared if they were only developing the game for only one.

This could range from "little" things such as delayed updates as they'll need to update the Vita and PC at the same time. To perhaps bigger things such as can't get X to work on Vita? Well PC can't have it either then.

Though I'll stay optimistic and hope that they have this all figured out already for it to go smoothly as possible but we'll see.

This is pretty much where I'm at as well.

Caerik
Mar 11, 2012, 12:34 PM
You all have to have faith in SEGA and believe they have learned from their mistakes from PSU. PSO2 will rock weither you play it on PC or Vita.

Just knowing both systems use the same server gives you a big hint that they will make this work or why even bother in the first place.

Ever see the movie Super Troopers?

Touché.

I'm still on board with this idea. Like someone else said, why would they pursue this if it wouldn't work? They had to have learned from the PC-PS2 ordeal.

Corey Blue
Mar 11, 2012, 02:26 PM
This is pretty much where I'm at as well.

Same. No second chances with me this time,if they fuck up its over.

NoiseHERO
Mar 11, 2012, 06:26 PM

Vita version being made by different team, they have until 2014. D:

Developers can update Vita games whenever they want. D:

moorebounce
Mar 11, 2012, 06:36 PM
Same. No second chances with me this time,if they fuck up its over.

From what I've seen so far Sega can't mess this up. I can't wait for the release so we can get PSU out of the picture. PSO2 is the MIB memory wipe that people who played PSU needed. lol

NoiseHERO
Mar 11, 2012, 06:37 PM
From what I've seen so far Sega can't mess this up. I can't wait for the release so we can get PSU out of the picture. PSO2 is the MIB memory wipe that haters who played PSU needed. lol

Fixed. 8D

moorebounce
Mar 11, 2012, 06:42 PM
I love PSU because I was Fixed. 8D

Now it is.

Rock in your opinion PSU was good and I get that but you are one in a few. I'm still playing PSOBB over that piece of crap called PSU.

r00tabaga
Mar 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
@moorebounce: that was an awesome MIB reference and hopefully the series gets restored to what it once was (although portable 2 is sick STILL)...PSU will never be on any "Best Of..." lists.

moorebounce
Mar 11, 2012, 06:55 PM
@moorebounce: that was an awesome MIB reference and hopefully the series gets restored to what it once was (although portable 2 is sick STILL)...PSU will never be on any "Best Of..." lists.

Hey I love the portable games too. Those portable games and what we seen so far out of PSO2 Sega can't miss. I still own and played all but the EP III version of Phantasy Star online series. I would love to forget PSU.

Cayenne
Mar 11, 2012, 07:23 PM
So PSO2 is gonna be the Neuralyzer for those that've playing PSU?

NoiseHERO
Mar 11, 2012, 07:25 PM
Now it is.

Rock in your opinion PSU was good and I get that but you are one in a few. I'm still playing PSOBB over that piece of crap called PSU.

You've never even played PSU for that long, let alone the portable games. You've even proven that you don't even know what made PSU bad other than it being not PSO! Yet you use every one of your posts in every thread to force your OPINION to be somehow relevant on why it was the worse game ever.

Stop that!

Even worse we were agreeing on the Vita-NOT-fucking-up-PSO2 thing, so now look what you've done! So fine you hate PSU, then move on WITHOUT needing the MIB reference that you've used like 4 times.

moorebounce
Mar 11, 2012, 09:20 PM
You've never even played PSU for that long, let alone the portable games. You've even proven that you don't even know what made PSU bad other than it being not PSO! Yet you use every one of your posts in every thread to force your OPINION to be somehow relevant on why it was the worse game ever.

Stop that!

Even worse we were agreeing on the Vita-NOT-fucking-up-PSO2 thing, so now look what you've done! So fine you hate PSU, then move on WITHOUT needing the MIB reference that you've used like 4 times.

I actually finished PSU and Ambition of the Illuminus on the PC verisons. I love the Phantasy Star Online series but PSU is the Return Of The Jedi of the PS series. You sound like my wife crying because I don't agree with you on everything. I bought a DSi XL just for PSZero Outside of the PSP and EPIII versions I played them all and still own them too.

Things I hate about PSU
1. Having to play as Ethan Waber.
2. Being able to spam your PAs instead of actually grinding your weapons.
3. Having no Mags. The partner machine was wack even after it evoled all the way.
4. You could feed your partner machine all in one sitting.
5. As a force you had to have a weapon to use your techs. WTF
6. I just loved how you had to stand still to use the goggles. Yeah that was nice when looking for traps, plants and trees you could cut down.
7. Having to synthesize your weapons instead of grinding them. I guess # 2 and 7 could be together.
8. Having one attack button and a PA button.
9. Each area needed to load.
10. After PSOBB they went back to the controller only setup.
11. Extra Mode wasn't unlocked from the jump.

I would have to play it again to make my list bigger. Now I'm gonna need the Adjustment Bureau to give me a mind wipe lol.

moorebounce
Mar 11, 2012, 09:22 PM

Thank you and I believe PSO2 will make even the PSU fans of the world forget PSU.

moorebounce
Mar 11, 2012, 09:38 PM
So PSO2 is gonna be the Neuralyzer for those that've playing PSU?

So far it looks like it will lol. Although PSO2 will have to good of PSU in it too. What little good it had. lol

NoiseHERO
Mar 11, 2012, 09:40 PM
You sound like my wife crying because I don't agree with you on everything. I bought a DSi XL just for PSZero Outside of the PSP and EPIII versions I played them all and still own them too.
I would have to play it again to make my list bigger. Now I'm gonna need the Adjustment Bureau to give me a mind wipe lol.

I'm sorry your wife is a cries too much... about THINGS or whatever. But you probably married her because of how much you have in common with her when you equally whine about how terrible you thought PSU was.

I'm not trying to get you to LIKE PSU, and fine you have your reasons for disliking it. I mean to me those are mostly petty reasons, which I could find a same amount of petty reasons for PSO's failures.-but yeah...

I'm telling you that you rag on the game with every single post you make, regardless of the topic when 90% of the time it's irrelevant, It's really getting redundant.

And now you're triple posting... D<

Just put the keyboard down!

I think some other guy was complaining about something similar. People whining about the same thing CONSTANTLY, in EVERY thread. Yet it was against something less stupid, but now I see what he means. e_e

moorebounce
Mar 11, 2012, 10:15 PM
I'm sorry your wife is a cries too much... about THINGS or whatever. But you probably married her because of how much you have in common with her when you equally whine about how terrible you thought PSU was.

I'm not trying to get you to LIKE PSU, and fine you have your reasons for disliking it. I mean to me those are mostly petty reasons, which I could find a same amount of petty reasons for PSO's failures.-but yeah...

I'm telling you that you rag on the game with every single post you make, regardless of the topic when 90% of the time it's irrelevant, It's really getting redundant.

And now you're triple posting... D<

Just put the keyboard down!

I think some other guy was complaining about something similar. People whining about the same thing CONSTANTLY, in EVERY thread. Yet it was against something less stupid, but now I see what he means. e_e

One man's trash is another man's treassure. What's trivial or petty for one it's major for someone else. PSU catered more to the East and thats why it didn't do so well in the West. You can pretty much tell Sega is trying to find a happy medium with PSO2 and so far it looks like it has.

Angelo
Mar 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
PSU was good. Just good.

Honestly, it wasn't a 'bad' game, it just wasn't a 'great' game either.

If you're paying a monthly fee a game should be 'great' in order to justify the price, unfortunately this game wasn't great in most people's eyes.

Cayenne
Mar 12, 2012, 01:21 AM
Let's stop the arguing and bickering yeah?

PSO2 on Vita will kick major ass, it's won't hinder the PC version, a great option for those that don't want to build a new PC and will be one of the greatest PC/console mash to date.

r00tabaga
Mar 12, 2012, 01:24 AM
Let's stop the arguing and bickering yeah?

PSO2 on Vita will kick major ass, it's won't hinder the PC version, a great option for those that don't want to build a new PC and will be one of the greatest PC/console mash to date.

Winner: Cayenne

NoiseHERO
Mar 12, 2012, 01:27 AM
The hell's matter with you two. D<

"Bickering" already ended!

All you did was get me to comment on it again.

Cayenne
Mar 12, 2012, 01:42 AM
I like turtles

r00tabaga
Mar 12, 2012, 01:48 AM
I like turtles

F A T A L I T Y !

NoiseHERO
Mar 12, 2012, 02:01 AM
Yer all dum!

Shuddup!

jus' shuddup! All ya's!

moorebounce
Mar 12, 2012, 06:33 AM
I thought PSO2 looked pretty good on the PSVita from what I saw from the announcement video. I've played with a lot of handheld devices and I'm just not a big fan of them. I just hope Sega doesn't push back the release date of PSO2

Blueblur
Mar 12, 2012, 06:43 AM
This is a cross post from the voting thread:

The blog just updated and I believe it addresses our concerns regarding updates. (THat's what I gathered from the Google Chrome translation.)

http://ameblo.jp/sega-psblog/entry-11190604962.html