PDA

View Full Version : PSO2 Online Only?

MAD1b
Mar 12, 2012, 08:50 PM
So, PSO2 is gonna be online only and the character data is going to be saved to servers. Does this mean that once servers decide to shut down, my characters will never be accessible again?

r00tabaga
Mar 12, 2012, 08:53 PM
Yep. Now duck for making a new PSO2 thread.

MAD1b
Mar 12, 2012, 08:55 PM
Okay thanks. Now I know not to buy the game. Looks like I'm sticking with good ol' Ep. 1 & 2 for the rest of my life.

Anon_Fire
Mar 12, 2012, 09:26 PM
Okay thanks. Now I know not to buy the game. Looks like I'm sticking with good ol' Ep. 1 & 2 for the rest of my life.

Aw come on, just try PSO2 for once. I swear that it won't dissapoint you.

Trust me, you'll get bored of PSO GC before you know it.

Rika-chan
Mar 12, 2012, 09:34 PM
:disapprove: What?
Not playing a game just 'cause it's online only? :-o
Please explain. ^^;

eselv
Mar 12, 2012, 09:41 PM
so keeping characters in a game for 10+ years is more important than playing it the way its meant to be played?

NoiseHERO
Mar 12, 2012, 09:43 PM
Uhmm...

Unless you're sitting on the gamecube version... Which ironically in my case I lost all of my character data when it was still ACTIVE due to data curruption which turned out to be common for PSO. I'm sure playing on that illegal server isn't much better.

PSO2 I'm going to assume will last a good decade. This game looks WAY too amazing to just say "Oh no they're not gonna do X, so I'm not even gonna bother buying it." Sometimes I wonder how you guys call yourselves phantasy star fans when you say stuff like that.

At least try the game before you say it's ruined because it's not easy to hack and you can't keep your character data longer than 15 years. But if your reasoning is that petty, I guess no one will miss you anyway. D:

r00tabaga
Mar 12, 2012, 09:54 PM
I'm sure that the PC version will have legs well after the private servers get shut down & certain other 'ahem' public servers will pick up the slack...cough.....sorry, I have a cold.

Just remember that this is how pso was intended to be played. Legit.

MAD1b
Mar 12, 2012, 10:09 PM
I play offline only on GC (though I do have another memory card I use for online play on said servers... Sue me). My last character corruption was in like 06/07. And I'm sorry, I have been taking breaks from GC for long periods of time over the years. One of the reasons I keep coming back is because I can.

BB did the same thing didn't it? I couldn't imagine one day just not having my characters anymore. I will most likely try this game out, if it's good enough I may stick with it. But playing the games is a big enough waste of time, I'd rather have something to show for all that time (YES, even if it is some items and levels that only I care about).

I do really want to play PSO2 because PSO has always had the best community of people ever (I love you guys), but I don't know.... It's just a back in my head thought I've always had. I can't shake it, I know somebody must share this frustrating feeling.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure I've never played PSO unlegit, except for having the couple characters designated for the private servers, but gear and everything has stayed on the memory card that found it.

Mag-X
Mar 12, 2012, 10:28 PM
I still my character saves from the Dreamcast. I never play it because there's no point at all. PSO sucks in offline mode.

NoiseHERO
Mar 12, 2012, 10:31 PM
And as well most online games in general won't last forever...

Having your character data as a trophy is nice, But I don't see how you can call it game breaking.

PSO2 deserves MUCH more than that, if you've seen what this game has become so far.

Omega-z
Mar 12, 2012, 11:49 PM
The best way to look at it is to think of your old character having a baby and that baby growing up and starting anew with the offspring of the old character. The New character can continue on for your old character, like passing the touch.

I keep PSO for my kids to teach them so they can get better skills when they get older. It keep's it fun when your helping them learn PSO.:):rappy:

Dinosaur
Mar 13, 2012, 12:48 AM
After playing PSO2, I can't even look at PSO1 with a straight face.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Mar 13, 2012, 03:05 AM
It is nice to at least have the memory of my old GC characters. I see the memory cards, I feel the nostalgia and all of that warm fuzzyness. Since BB was server side, I have my screenshots to remind me of the two years I spent on that one private server. I actually made a few friends that time. The BB pictures were probably more convenient to be honest. With the screenshot folder, it would take an hour or two of my time if I wanted to look over every picture. I don't have to fire up the cube for a game I wouldn't be likely to play for more than 5 minutes now to be reminded of the good old days.

I primarily vouch for the desire for offline since I'm a bit of a loner. I built up my skills in single player, and put them to use in unlocked empty rooms online. The vast majority of my multiplayer online experience in GC and BB was PUGs. The GC guild card list was 15 to 20 odd pages of people I probably only spoke to once.

I'm sure PSO2 will have a private server or two creep up when it's online shuts down too.

Cayenne
Mar 13, 2012, 03:21 AM
Some people just don't want change.

It's ok bud, we understand, so do the Amish.

moorebounce
Mar 13, 2012, 08:47 AM
So, PSO2 is gonna be online only and the character data is going to be saved to servers. Does this mean that once servers decide to shut down, my characters will never be accessible again?

I could be wrong but I don't recall Sega saying the PC version was online only. However they did say the Vita version would be online only. There still may be hope for an offline mode for the PC.

Mike
Mar 13, 2012, 08:51 AM
I could be wrong but I don't recall Sega saying the PC version was online only. However they did say the Vita version would be online only. There still may be hope for an offline mode for the PC.
The PC version is online only.

Cayenne
Mar 13, 2012, 09:59 AM
I think MAD1b wants to be able to play the game 5, 10, maybe 20 years from now with his saved data that he worked so hard on (assuming we persuade him to at least buy it).

moorebounce
Mar 13, 2012, 10:34 AM
The PC version is online only.

lol oh well.

@Cayenne - Someone was working on a PSU private server until PSO2 was announced and I'm sure they'll be looking to get their hands on PSO2 after the official servers goes down. so theres hope for him to play 10-20 years down the road.

NoiseHERO
Mar 13, 2012, 10:45 AM
I still think PSO2 will last way longer than PSO and PSU...

And PSU isn't even dead yet. But feels like that game came out 20 years ago and yesterday at the same time...

I don't care if a game breast fed me, I can pick it up briefly a couple of times, but I can't play the same game 3-12 hours a day for 10-25 years straight...

Vashyron
Mar 13, 2012, 10:46 AM
lol oh well.

@Cayenne - Someone was working on a PSU private server until PSO2 was announced and I'm sure they'll be looking to get their hands on PSO2 after the official servers goes down. so theres hope for him to play 10-20 years down the road.

Still being worked on and so far the same person has shown barely any interest in PSO2.

Anyway I don't get this mentality that people need to have some keepsake of their characters 10 or more years down the line.
You could say you are wasting time if it's all going to be deleted in the end, but I personally find all games are supposed to be a fun waste of time. (Unless you are gaining something like tournament players or so.)

Personally at the time of PSO2 JP Shutdown I'd probably have moved onto the new sequel of the game, or if that doesn't exist / is bad I could probably very easily find another game that grabs my attention.

I'd say letting something like this completely stopping you from playing any game is quite really not smart.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 13, 2012, 11:11 AM
Actually I can rather sympathize with the OP's feelings. I was disappointed in the lack of any offline mode at all. I spent quite a lot of time in offline mode on PSO (back then, internet connectivity was a little harder to get, due to it being the dial-up (or 768k DSL if you were REAL lucky) era, and me being a teenager), and, contrary to sentiments expressed here, I enjoyed PSO offline. Granted, playing through the ruins with a 4-man group online was even better, but I didn't need other people to have a good time. I also enjoy coming back and playing some old school PSO every so often, and it's nice that I can just fire up some offline mode.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would be against an offline mode. No, it doesn't make the game easier to hack or allow for cheating if locally-saved offline character data is simply kept offline, and online server-side character data is completely separate.

Some people just don't want change.

It's ok bud, we understand, so do the Amish.
Wow, between this and the Vita threads, people are really being jerks around here lately. Not to mention, making an analogue between offline-mode in PSO and the Amish is really out there. What the hell does having or not having an offline-mode have to do with technological progress?

Anon_Fire
Mar 13, 2012, 11:14 AM
Actually I can rather sympathize with the OP's feelings. I was disappointed in the lack of any offline mode at all. I spent quite a lot of time in offline mode on PSO (back then, internet connectivity was a little harder to get, due to it being the dial-up (or 768k DSL if you were REAL lucky) era, and me being a teenager), and, contrary to sentiments expressed here, I enjoyed PSO offline. Granted, playing through the ruins with a 4-man group online was even better, but I didn't need other people to have a good time. I also enjoy coming back and playing some old school PSO every so often, and it's nice that I can just fire up some offline mode.

I honestly can't understand why anyone would be against an offline mode. No, it doesn't make the game easier to hack or allow for cheating if locally-saved offline character data is simply kept offline, and online server-side character data is completely separate.

Action Replay and Gameshark say otherwise for PSOGC and DC considering offline mode.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 13, 2012, 11:17 AM
Action Replay and Gameshark say otherwise for PSOGC and DC considering offline mode.
WTF are you talking about? I'm sorry if I'm going to be a bit hypocritical and maybe come off a bit jerk-ish, but this is a bit frustrating. Let me see if I can make this any more clear:

OFFLINE MODE character data would ONLY be OFFLINE. Gamesharking or otherwise altering OFFLINE MODE character data would be irrelevant because ONLINE MODE character data would be saved server-side and would not interact in any way, shape, or form with OFFLINE MODE character data. Also, they could encrypt OFFLINE MODE character data to discourage tampering even with that if they wanted.

moorebounce
Mar 13, 2012, 11:58 AM
Still being worked on and so far the same person has shown barely any interest in PSO2.

Anyway I don't get this mentality that people need to have some keepsake of their characters 10 or more years down the line.
You could say you are wasting time if it's all going to be deleted in the end, but I personally find all games are supposed to be a fun waste of time. (Unless you are gaining something like tournament players or so.)

Personally at the time of PSO2 JP Shutdown I'd probably have moved onto the new sequel of the game, or if that doesn't exist / is bad I could probably very easily find another game that grabs my attention.

I'd say letting something like this completely stopping you from playing any game is quite really not smart.

I'm playing PSO2. Yeah I would've like there to be an offline mode in case the servers go down (and they will for maintenance or whatever) but I'll live just like everybody else. Vash I keep a lot of my consoles and games. The good thing is I don't have to have a server up to play any of my Dreamcast games.

shiink
Mar 13, 2012, 01:31 PM
WTF are you talking about? I'm sorry if I'm going to be a bit hypocritical and maybe come off a bit jerk-ish, but this is a bit frustrating. Let me see if I can make this any more clear:

OFFLINE MODE character data would ONLY be OFFLINE. Gamesharking or otherwise altering OFFLINE MODE character data would be irrelevant because ONLINE MODE character data would be saved server-side and would not interact in any way, shape, or form with OFFLINE MODE character data. Also, they could encrypt OFFLINE MODE character data to discourage tampering even with that if they wanted.

Lol. He does have a point though. The main difference was that in those days your offline and online character were synonomous.

Back to topic: I do understand that gripe and the convenience of having an offline mode. However, I have found my online experience much more enjoyable and things like Maintainance and such give me a much needed break from the game anways. Besides, there are plenty of other things that can occupy your time when servers are down like a new game or ya know reading a book isn't bad for you either.

AnnabellaRenee87
Mar 13, 2012, 02:12 PM
Why would you want to play Phantasy Star Online offline?

Link1275
Mar 13, 2012, 02:17 PM
Why would you want to play Phantasy Star Online offline?
Because the servers get shut down and you want to keep playing it, because next game isn't out yet.

D-Inferno
Mar 13, 2012, 02:33 PM
Who cares if things are server sided; by the time PSO3 or whatever comes out, your probably not going to even give a **** about PSO2.

Char data being offline would just be bad.

Corey Blue
Mar 13, 2012, 03:16 PM

Well yeah people get attached,you play for a character for 5 years then poof he's gone.I personally think PSO2 is gonna last the full 10. That's if it's successful.

Cayenne
Mar 13, 2012, 03:34 PM
Wow, between this and the Vita threads, people are really being jerks around here lately. Not to mention, making an analogue between offline-mode in PSO and the Amish is really out there. What the hell does having or not having an offline-mode have to do with technological progress?

There's so many things I want to say about how you took this humores post I made so offensively but I'll sum it down to one word:

Relax.

Can I buy you a beer? Maybe a Shocktop?

Demon-
Mar 13, 2012, 05:56 PM
I can kinda understand about losing your characters, seeing as I just had SOA rip mine from me when they closed PC/PS2 server. But after seeing PSO2 and all its glory I can't wait to jump right into this game.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 14, 2012, 01:31 AM
I think I'd rather see a Story mode more than anything rather than some kind of offline mode does give you something to do when your active hours happen to be their maintenance hours, some people just have odd hours they play at and I can see their maintenance hours being long with the kind of updates they will have.

Remember Extra mode on PSU ? I think people on here are more so wanting that just so they have something to do during extensive periods of maintenance, some online games have taken nearly half a day just to complete updates.

maxx69
Mar 14, 2012, 04:11 AM
It would be too easy to hack the game if characters were client-side. I've hacked my share of games to get every achievement, max stats, and so on.

There's a reason I have level 6 in all classes in KF and at one point had all achievements in TF2.

SilverFoxR
Mar 14, 2012, 06:53 AM
Perhaps, when they decide to finally decide to shut their servers down, they'll give a "final update" that lets players continue playing offline and, before the game ends, allow players to save their characters to their PC/Vitas... maybe offer some kind of LAN option or WiFi for the Vita.

Cayenne
Mar 14, 2012, 07:02 AM
I think I'd rather see a Story mode more than anything rather than some kind of offline mode...

From what I and others have experienced from PSU's 'fantastic' story mode, I say nay.

As for PSO2 being online only, it's not a problem but like I said in another thread, it's a weird selling point for people here in the states to buy a game for your gameboy that require internet just to play. You have to leave your Vita at home if you know you'll be no where near a wifi source like the beach or camping in the forest, maybe a hotel with no wifi or an expensive fee just to use.

Your 'take where you want' handheld can no be played where you want and has requirements instead of the traditional: Gameboy? Check. Game? Check. Power? Check. Play!

(Awaits a very long and unneeded technical reply to my non 100% accurate post instead of getting the jest of what I mean, like always)

Perhaps, when they decide to finally decide to shut their servers down, they'll give a "final update" that lets players continue playing offline and, before the game ends, allow players to save their characters to their PC/Vitas... maybe offer some kind of LAN option or WiFi for the Vita.

^this

Remember that SEGA is now listening to us and enough request from the gaming community can make this possible.

lostinseganet
Mar 14, 2012, 07:04 AM
I play offline only on GC (though I do have another memory card I use for online play on said servers... Sue me). My last character corruption was in like 06/07. And I'm sorry, I have been taking breaks from GC for long periods of time over the years. One of the reasons I keep coming back is because I can.

BB did the same thing didn't it? I couldn't imagine one day just not having my characters anymore. I will most likely try this game out, if it's good enough I may stick with it. But playing the games is a big enough waste of time, I'd rather have something to show for all that time (YES, even if it is some items and levels that only I care about).

I do really want to play PSO2 because PSO has always had the best community of people ever (I love you guys), but I don't know.... It's just a back in my head thought I've always had. I can't shake it, I know somebody must share this frustrating feeling.

Edit: Oh yeah, I'm pretty sure I've never played PSO unlegit, except for having the couple characters designated for the private servers, but gear and everything has stayed on the memory card that found it.i can relate to what your saying. to put the time and energy into a character only to have someone else decide when to end it is nerve racking.

LoveRappy
Mar 15, 2012, 05:51 PM
i am disappointed that the game is online only as well, but i will still give it a try.

i rather be able to have my character offline, so i can still play even when they shut the servers down, though.

i still play PSO ep1n2 for GC, its still very fun to play even offline. and, i always have my characters.

i only hope that SEGA keeps the servers up for 15+ years this time, at the very least, and always updates it with new content. EQ1 has been around for 13 years, no reason why SEGA cant keep a game going for that much or even longer.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 15, 2012, 07:01 PM
From what I and others have experienced from PSU's 'fantastic' story mode, I say nay.

As for PSO2 being online only, it's not a problem but like I said in another thread, it's a weird selling point for people here in the states to buy a game for your gameboy that require internet just to play. You have to leave your Vita at home if you know you'll be no where near a wifi source like the beach or camping in the forest, maybe a hotel with no wifi or an expensive fee just to use.

You're pretty much contradicting yourself here, why not put in a great story mode I didn't say exactly like PSU but to the extent so that you can play on your handheld if you were in a forest or the middle of nowhere/camping great point you have there to giving it a story mode or offline mode...

NoiseHERO
Mar 15, 2012, 07:28 PM
Umm...

This game DOES have a story mode.

And they talked about doing the voice acting in the story for all of the different voice's our custom characters can have. Whether it'll be better or worse than PSU's story mode I don't know.

What I AM hoping is that story mode will be multiplayer/co-op. It felt weird in PSU where you had to go online to play new story missions, but it was still 1 player.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 15, 2012, 07:48 PM
I know that, it's why I want it to be separate from the online play it'd be weird if we had another story mode where you had to be online but alone.

Xenobia
Mar 15, 2012, 08:19 PM
Well, PSU wasnt any better. The offline mode was just not matched with online mode so its impossible to grant a permannent backup once the servers shut down. Finally there is nothing left, unless i made some screenshots.. thats it.

The Offline Mode at PSU was just a rather short story mode, and its in no way able to match online mode at gameplay. So many people barely touched it. Sure, its nice to have short story mode but its not a backup at all, nor a real offline mode because once the story is over its pretty much done.. there is no evolution. The only time we was able to backup, is at PSO V.1/V.2 and EP 2. I hope they will figure out something else, however, you never know.

But, PSO kinda isnt a continued work as such, it will die and raise itself in a new form of life, so PSO is kinda like buddhistic view. I still would enjoy to have some kind of memory of my "previous life", but thats finally up to SEGA...

Caerik
Mar 15, 2012, 09:02 PM
Umm...

This game DOES have a story mode.

And they talked about doing the voice acting in the story for all of the different voice's our custom characters can have. Whether it'll be better or worse than PSU's story mode I don't know.

What I AM hoping is that story mode will be multiplayer/co-op. It felt weird in PSU where you had to go online to play new story missions, but it was still 1 player.

Hmm I didn't know of the story mode for this. A story in an MMO usually makes me smile.

Edit: A good story mode I mean.

Xaton
Mar 19, 2012, 09:41 PM
i would hope vita and stuff has offline mode like yes as some said freemode in universe or infinity like BAM [build a mission] for offline that you unlock while online and have the charactors seperated no data mixing or anything so if hacked chractors offline cant mess with online ones.

•Col•
Mar 19, 2012, 09:49 PM
i would hope vita and stuff has offline mode like yes as some said freemode in universe or infinity like BAM [build a mission] for offline that you unlock while online and have the charactors seperated no data mixing or anything so if hacked chractors offline cant mess with online ones.

Not gonna happen... >.>

Sorry, man.

NoiseHERO
Mar 19, 2012, 09:56 PM
If they do seperate the Vita version's servers, they COULD have an offline mode.

But not if it still shared the same character data.

Anon_Fire
Mar 19, 2012, 11:44 PM
Not gonna happen... >.>

Sorry, man.

This ^

r00tabaga
Mar 19, 2012, 11:48 PM
I heard that you might be able to solo with NPCs. Im hoping its similar to how it is in Infinity. I would love to play with NPCs that are characters I made. I think that would be pretty cool once in a while.

Krank32oz
Mar 20, 2012, 10:23 AM
Are people really getting upset its online only? Playing PSO offline is the worst unless you are doing couch co-op and even then the online just made this game was it is. I mean npcs might be fun but you would still have to be connected online correct?

r00tabaga
Mar 20, 2012, 11:25 AM
Yes you are correct sir. NPCs on-line.

Cayenne
Mar 20, 2012, 02:36 PM
The game is called Phantasy Star Online 2.

/thread

SephirothXer0
Mar 20, 2012, 02:44 PM
The game is called Phantasy Star Online 2.

/thread

And every Phantasy Star ONLINE game had OFFLINE MODE, save for BB

BWS-1
Mar 20, 2012, 03:12 PM
Hey, they might allow for downloading your character data - which would be a first for a game of that type - if servers are ever to go down! I know they haven't done it or said anything about it and it wasn't possible in PSU.

Still, a lot of things that PSU didn't have, PSO2 will since it's, well, a PSO not PSU and a tribute, I mean, a true successor to the PSO saga. Not to mention that many of those things are improvement from the original, added with the years of trial-and-errors of games that came in between. They might even have an offline mode (hidden in their plans), like every PSO games... just saved up for later.

So, as vain as it may sound, I still think it's not entirely hopeless. It would be a nice memento to have; a reminder of the early days.

Now since I'm being a ''hopeless dreamer'' beyond belief, I'll even say I'm hoping for the integration, as a ''goodbye gift'' to the servers, of an online mode similar to the PSZ one. But now that's just utterly silly of me, I know. And besides, this thread got me all worked up about the death of something that isn't even ''online'' yet! Madness, haha.

Cayenne
Mar 20, 2012, 03:29 PM
And every Phantasy Star ONLINE game had OFFLINE MODE, save for BB

Yes, thank you for that.

Dude, really...?

Xenobia
Mar 20, 2012, 03:43 PM
Not sure people remember but there was once a splitscreen offline mode on PSO EP.2 (Gamecube). So you could play with friends and family without having to charge 10 to 20$ a month for every single person, and many possible connection issues, without the need of a credit card and rather horrible paying management of those payment options. That way its indeed fun. Nowadays when we have 1080P and huuuuuuge TV screens thats absolutly no issue.

Ofc there is more possible options such as LAN party mode but apparently its something people barely can remember that it even is a technology which does exist in our world. The advantage of LAN is that there is no lag... LAN in teaming mode is extremely fast and it could give the maximum experience when playing with a good team and/or simply family. Nowadays almost everyone got a PC at home and its possible to connect them with each others and having fun together even outside of the WWW and even without a Nintendo console. But i think many people simply lack foresight and possible future view. The ultimate PSO would have 1. Online Mode, 2. LAN mode 3. Splitscreen mode (mainly for Wii U or other advanced consoles). But instead we have many teams developing Vita and whatever else stuff, and are unable to make advanced stuff truly come true because always busy with what else, i kinda got in mind.

Thats not to say... to pass on anything else but to have truly a complete PSO such as we already had it on Gamecube. For PC we could add a fully updated LAN mode and powerful consoles should get splitscreen mode. The offline characters will be separated from the online characters, so cheating doesnt become a issue. I however do not enjoy to have a offline mode which is some kind of depleted childrens work, while the online mode is a constantly updated and complete packet. Both modes should be playable on its own and updated. The biggest advantage: When server are shut down we could continue playing it!!

Finally, i always enjoy for the sake of my sentimental mind, to play some hours once in a while, even on a 10 year old Dreamcast and even solo, its what some people may call "retro feeling". Although thats for freaks and the mainstream doesnt know about.

Finally i do believe that SEGA just isnt interested into alternate options because they would be unable to charge us for. Which kinda makes me sad that those world nowadays is just way to much focused on such materialistic views and demand and many stuff will get worse than it truly could be. But who knows.. PSO isnt PSU and SEGA certainly may read those posts and the last word isnt spoken yet.

NoiseHERO
Mar 20, 2012, 03:49 PM
Not sure people remember but there was once a splitscreen offline mode on PSO EP.2 (Gamecube) , so you could play with friends and family. That way its indeed fun.

Finally, i always enjoy for the sake of my sentimental mind, to play some hours once in a while, even on a 10 year old Dreamcast, its what some people may call "retro feeling". Although thats for freaks and the mainstream doesnt know about.

You're definitely new to these forums asking if people remember THAT.

Even after this game was announced PC only people were STILL saying they wanted split screen. @_@

I was disappointed when PSU didn't have it since I used to play PSO offline with my friends, but quickly got over it once I played online mode.

Anon_Fire
Mar 20, 2012, 05:05 PM
I never really cared for offline to be honest, after getting to a certain point on PSOGC, i never went back. Now that PSO2 is on the way, there's no need for an offline mode anymore. People need to realize that times have changed.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Mar 20, 2012, 05:07 PM
Splitscreen on GC was probably the most fun I had with the series. I got my friends all into PSO just from having them try out that mode. It matters little now, all my friends hate this series so should the opportunity for splitscreen come up again I'd have no use for it besides bank shuffling.

I imagine Sega called the mode a miss since if I remember right, the Xbox version of PSO was online only.

Anon_Fire
Mar 20, 2012, 05:10 PM
Splitscreen on GC was probably the most fun I had with the series. I got my friends all into PSO just from having them try out that mode. It matters little now, all my friends hate this series so should the opportunity for splitscreen come up again I'd have no use for it besides bank shuffling.

I imagine Sega called the mode a miss since if I remember right, the Xbox version of PSO was online only.

PSO XBOX needed Live in order to access offline mode.

Xenobia
Mar 20, 2012, 06:12 PM
PSU on XBox360: Just to be more accurate: Sega wanted to cut down download size because the expansion on Xbox was available for download only. On the other hand they had in mind, screw it, why do we even need that offline mode? So they used a buster and smashed it into pieces. The Offline Mode was available to everyone, but the addon had no Offline Mode anymore, while on PC it was still available. Anyway, the whole matter is surely confusing enough and its not how a game should be made. I wish PSO2 will be much more fine tuning and a much better shape, a saviour of a lost condition.

Although, that kind of offline mode is children's play and not the offline mode i was talking about. So i didnt even care if we had it removed or not.

PSU? Mainly made up of freaks. We got a fair quantity of those. But if Sega truly want to hit the mainstream, all around the world, then they gonna need to be more user friendly on every given aspect. Besides: The condition of not being user friendly doesnt mean that you get ride of "suspicious beings", that view is mistaken. Because those beings can have any kind of age, shape and power. Heart isnt bound to maturity nor age nor intellect, its bound to environment and focus.

PSO (V1.V2. EP1 +2 +3 +4. or what else): Can safely throw the PSO version of Xbox away. Gamecube had the best PSO version of all time and until today that history has not changed yet. Just because on Xbox something did happen doesnt mean the happening is any good. ;) I still own the JP Version of PSO EP 1+ 2 PLUS and its the best PSO ever made... and works splittscreen. I still have fun to play some retro with on my JP cube. Its a forgotten arch-game of the entire PSO series.... the master of all PSO games.

There is PSO BB and what else but as i said, no one can match the original. They did countless versions while they had the arch-game lying inside theyr hands, the mother of all the childrens. Its the game where PSO2 should get its lesson from.. and unwind itself to a shape even greater than that.

ForceOfBrokenGlass
Mar 21, 2012, 03:25 AM
PSO XBOX needed Live in order to access offline mode.

That doesn't make any sense. Lousy Microsoft! It's like they saw fit to nickle & dime us every step of the way. So did everybody have to have a XBL account for splitscreen or was there just none at all?

Kanivakil
Mar 21, 2012, 03:53 AM
Besides, nothing last forever. I don't even remember what character I created on the Dreamcast version 12 years ago. (That's a lie)

Xenobia
Mar 21, 2012, 08:49 AM
"Nothing last forever" might be true according to materialistic science. However, its very hard to kill something immaterial, it does burn into everyones soul and mind and is just almost unable to die. A certain spirit will last even past someones or somethings demise. The creator died, even the players died, but its spirit does remain far beyond its active time. PSO EP 1-2 Plus is a art able to live past its natural demise, because it did set a certain standart which wont be forgotten nor gotten unnoticed by any human who devoted themself into the history of PSO or even gaming history itself. Spirit is the only thing which can grow immortal.

I wish that Sega may notice that they may be able to get more bucks by executing certain actions and implementing certain configurations, but in order to grow immortal, it takes more than that. It will take true devotion to the thing and nothing should get unnoticed...

voxie
Mar 21, 2012, 06:22 PM
Wow, a thread going from online PC modes to the methods of time and the science of "forever". Love it. :D

Anyway, I'm all for PSO2 being online only if it means less chance of it getting hacked to ****

Xenobia
Mar 21, 2012, 07:11 PM
Its close to impossible to hack a character stored on a server. In term there is offline mode, those characters are separated from each others and doesnt affect online mode. When the people want to cheat offline its theyr own decision but as long as they cant cheat online, it wouldnt hurt other people. Its probably possible to run bots and such, but true cheating is usualy limited to glitching and such, as long as a character is stored on a server. Im not to worried about as long as Sega is having a secure server and is fixing glitches properly.

We arnt seeking for a combined mode... that is out of question. Online and offline characters should be separated, so its possible to keep online mode as secure as possible. Online character is fully stored on server, while offline would be stored at the users storage. Its simply to give the opportunity not only to play online, its to provide a full package able to make everyone happy with theyr own needs and desire, without hurting the (as long as server up) most important online mode.

Arika
Mar 22, 2012, 01:05 AM
Just enjoy when it you can, nothing in this world last forever.
Memory card won't last, and your body won't last either. Who know you might not be able to play game in the next XX years. either you become old, got a lot of work, tired of gaming ,or whatever reasons.

SilverFoxR
Mar 22, 2012, 05:07 AM
That doesn't make any sense. Lousy Microsoft! It's like they saw fit to nickle & dime us every step of the way. So did everybody have to have a XBL account for splitscreen or was there just none at all?

Well, that's Microsoft... no surprise there. Even when their competitors offer the same service for free, they keep charging (even raising the price). Even when content is meant to be free DLC, Microsoft makes people buy in on XBLA (IE: some DLC add-ons for games made by ValvE).

Yet, despite their money-grubbing ways, people defend them... religiously.

Heck, maybe that's why no 360 version's been announced.

Xenobia
Mar 22, 2012, 10:36 AM
Own shape, unlike others:
People still dont get the true purpose of this. Not everyone want to play online. PSO can be very fun offline in multiplayer and LAN. There is even many people who do not own a credit card and so they will be completly locked out from playing PSO. Finally PSO is not a MMORPG, for a P2P MMORPG it does lack content update , support, and gameplay related open world content. PSO is like a chat lobby and endless amount of rather quick instances. Its based on a setup which is played best in a unique shape which is different than the other online games. I do not seek for comparison because thats inaccurate.

Comparison of standart fails vs. most P2P MMORPGs:
PSO in many ways can not compete with a standart such as WoW, EVE Online or F11, its totaly different shape and yes... FF11, WoW and EVE Online is already up for 10 years and they may be able to live houndred of years without having any character data deleted. While PSO in its active timeline will only be able to live 5 years or something like that, until server mostly shutted down. EVE Online is permannently upated with new content (very very frequently) and doesnt change its main shape for like a entire human life. While PSO will do that kind of stuff like every 5 years. PSO Online experience is kinda like a "short flash" compared to a MMORPG (and i would not describe PSO as one of them). PSO is different shape and will require different approach. Realise that matter first. PSO shape is perfect to make multiple gaming options possible in order to give everyone the max. experience.

A human body, may last much lesser than such a MMORPGs lifetime in many cases. But i told already the purpose of immortal, the purpose of immortal is to create a masterwork. A masterwork is not a thing you gonna do because of "exceeding limitations" its a mark of honor you are gonna hand over to the world (not focused on "i"), even past its demise. Its a work you are truly satisfied with, without unneccessary compromise. I have 15 year old classic games on my computer i still like to play and they got updated with new tech, so its up to todays standart of 1080P and such. Those games still have not died yet.

PSO (even PSU), in the mind of many users, simply should be a short firework, fired and then after some years, be vanished from the planet. While on its active time it did even lock out itself toward many users because of its narrow minded P2P solutions (http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2007/03/how_phantasy_st/). Im not even hilarious here, because some people got in mind that a narrow minded solution can be a advantage in order to lock out "kids", thats mistaken.

Just enjoy when it you can, nothing in this world last forever.
Memory card won't last, and your body won't last either.
I do appreciate that you are worried about my memory storage and even my precious body. Although no need to worry, i do buy a new HDD every 5 year and have that HDD backed up 2 times, and someday i hand that HDD over to another body (the heritage) who will continue that work. Those data are as good as immortal, while my/your body is not. However, its not fun always to live inside the same shape or body, but i can always freely chose what game or character to play (thats the essence of the word "RPG"), while for my body i simply cant. Not spirit, spirit is pretty much my own choice, but body is different. I do believe that it is kinda hard to lose my body prematurely because i am a tea drinker of highest grade teas and do care about health, so... truly no need to worry. ;)

Who know you might not be able to play game in the next XX years. either you become old, got a lot of work, tired of gaming ,or whatever reasons.
That matter is explained easyest by setup of priority. When i think the game isnt worth it, priority will decrease and i may rarely be able play because other stuff is in my way. When i think its high value, i set up priority to very high level and no matter what happens, as long as my spirit will last i will be able to play it, even if it comes at the cost of another matter. What matters more is to create a masterpiece, other stuff... no need to worry. I might become old at my body but my mind shall always feel young. I once meet a pretty old person who asked me to explain how to use his Iphone. Once he understood, he smiled like crazy and i just told "congratulation, you was able to keep up with the times".

r00tabaga
Mar 22, 2012, 01:57 PM
Too long to read, I'm lazy.

Kent
Mar 22, 2012, 03:31 PM
Actually, you just needed an Xbox Live account registered on your console.

Even if your subscription was not active, you could still play the game entirely just because you had the account on your system.

Cayenne
Mar 22, 2012, 07:55 PM
So, like I was saying before...

It has online in the title, it was bound to happen one day so how about we forget about previous versions and just accept it.

No one complains about MMOs being online only, how about we do the same for this new game yeah?

Anon_Fire
Mar 22, 2012, 10:03 PM
So, like I was saying before...

It has online in the title, it was bound to happen one day so how about we forget about previous versions and just accept it.

No one complains about MMOs being online only, how about we do the same for this new game yeah?

Yeah, how could you guys forget that PSO2 is a new game.

Cayenne
Mar 22, 2012, 11:01 PM
Yeah, how could you guys forget that PSO2 is a new game.

Not sure if...

NoiseHERO
Mar 23, 2012, 12:39 AM
Not sure if...

Yeah he's...

J-just let it go... D:

On topic: I still think it'd be at least cool to be able to constantly download/re-download your characters and (Dunno about splitscreen) But at least have some kind of offline mode. So you can update your character from your online progress, Then just play around offline.

Especially with the Vita version in the works. You won't be able to properly catch up on your rare hunting(Online wise at least) But at least you can just bash some monsters in while you're on your lunch break or something,

LoveRappy
Mar 28, 2012, 03:46 PM
it would have been nice if the game had an offline mode and they just had 2 separate server types: Open and Closed. Open = where you can play with offline characters and Closed where its online, server-saved characters only. yes, basically like Diablo 2.

or, an offline mode and your online character can be "copied" to offline mode, but the offline character cannot be "copied" to online mode. this way, you could always make a back-up of your online character to play offline whenever or when the servers go down.

since the game is gonna be F2P, the servers should be kept up for much longer than the previous games. things have changed a lot since then, so PSO2 should be more profitable and promising for SEGA this time around.

BWS-1
Mar 28, 2012, 07:07 PM
or, an offline mode and your online character can be "copied" to offline mode, but the offline character cannot be "copied" to online mode. this way, you could always make a back-up of your online character to play offline whenever or when the servers go down.

Correct me if I'm off
>Everyone

But isn't it what the iOS/Android version of the game going to be, except with the ability to use the same character data? Or is that single player experience they claim will be ''online'' alone, using your tablet/phone's 3G or wi-fi to access your data which would be the same as the PC/Vita data but only to play on your own. Basically making that an ''online'' offline mode?

•Col•
Mar 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
Correct me if I'm off
>Everyone

But isn't it what the iOS/Android version of the game going to be, except with the ability to use the same character data? Or is that single player experience they claim will be ''online'' alone, using your tablet/phone's 3G or wi-fi to access your data which would be the same as the PC/Vita data but only to play on your own. Basically making that an ''online'' offline mode?

The iOS/Android version pretty much has to be online, considering it features buying/selling stuff (to/from online players) and sending mail through the game... Also, the fact that you can raise your character's stats through some minigames or w/e pretty much FORCE it to be online.... If it isn't, it's pretty much the same as storing your character data locally, like in PSO... And we all know how THAT turned out....

SilverFoxR
Mar 28, 2012, 09:35 PM
I think that, near the end of PSO2's lifetime, what they should do is create a "farewell" patch that, when the servers do shut down, you can transfer your character data directly to your PC/Vita and save it directly to the system. Then, if players still wish to keep playing, they can continue to in offline mode... maybe with a wireless or LAN option for offline multiplayer.

Mike
Mar 28, 2012, 09:39 PM
I think that, near the end of PSO2's lifetime, what they should do is create a "farewell" patch that, when the servers do shut down, you can transfer your character data directly to your PC/Vita and save it directly to the system. Then, if players still wish to keep playing, they can continue to in offline mode... maybe with a wireless or LAN option for offline multiplayer.

Wishful thinking. Hasn't happened before, won't happen now.

Rizen
Mar 28, 2012, 09:51 PM
For some reason, I thought I read somewhere that JP players could download their characters on one of the PSU games...

Mike
Mar 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
With PSU, you could import your online character in to the three games that showed up on the PSP. This may be something that happens to PSO2 with a spin-off game later on but a "farewell/offline patch" is very unlikely.

Rizen
Mar 28, 2012, 09:58 PM
Ah...thanks for clearing that up.

Xenobia
Mar 29, 2012, 03:24 PM
With PSU, you could import your online character in to the three games that showed up on the PSP.
Concepts such as that doesnt release its true potential, its more of a farewell sugar candy and a secondary money grabber of which we kinda have had enough.
Many people dont even play PSP/Vita or other handhelds. Its a own category which doesnt necessarely suit everyone.

Reia
Mar 29, 2012, 04:05 PM
With PSU, you could import your online character in to the three games that showed up on the PSP. This may be something that happens to PSO2 with a spin-off game later on but a "farewell/offline patch" is very unlikely.

But just inhereting your characters, looks, outfit and class if available in the portable game. Not expecting the actual level, PAs, My Room customs and gear.

Xenobia
Mar 29, 2012, 04:17 PM
People simply see PSO as a huge compromise. I do not support that idea of making half backed stuff, its not suitable. Just because i see endless possibilitys, and a chield never be able to be fully fledged.

Mike
Mar 29, 2012, 06:45 PM
Concepts such as that doesnt release its true potential, its more of a farewell sugar candy and a secondary money grabber of which we kinda have had enough.
You're missing the point of that conversation. Let me sum it up for you.

SF: I want an offline patch when PSO2 dies.
Me: Won't happen.
RZ: But didn't PSU do something like that?
Me: You could import your online characters in to a seperate game but no offline patch.

Anon_Fire
Mar 29, 2012, 06:57 PM
You're missing the point of that conversation. Let me sum it up for you.

SF: I want an offline patch when PSO2 dies.
Me: Won't happen.
RZ: But didn't PSU do something like that?
Me: You could import your online characters in to a seperate game but no offline patch.

This should answer everyone's question.

lostinseganet
Mar 29, 2012, 07:00 PM
It probably is. They can't make money of you if you go offline..unless they sell you a offline version.

SilverFoxR
Mar 29, 2012, 09:42 PM

Perhaps not, but maybe if enough people make the suggestion to Sega, somehow they may implement it in the future.

r00tabaga
Mar 30, 2012, 12:16 AM
N o t. G o n n a. H a p p e n.

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 01:15 AM
Perhaps not, but maybe if enough people make the suggestion to Sega, somehow they may implement it in the future.

PSO2 will not be an offline game. Nothing about it is designed for offline play.

It is no longer the year 2000. That was 12 years ago. People don't make consoles that include 4 controller ports anymore; only an ethernet port. People don't make games with splitscreen multiplayer anymore; they include a network mode. PSO was a 4-player offline experience because back then we gamers actually (GASP) went over friends houses n shit. That was the Dreamcast/Gamecube/Xbox era. Nowadays we slip on a headset and meet them on XBL/PSN.

No offline multiplayer / LAN support is INDEED tragic, but it cannot be helped. Times have changed.

Sega has molded absolutely everything about this game in anticipation of taking advantage of the online market. I can assure you right now -- they have absolutely zero interest in encouraging you to not play on their servers by adding an Offline mode.

Anon_Fire
Mar 30, 2012, 01:17 AM
PSO2 will not be an offline game. Nothing about it is designed for offline play.

It is no longer the year 2000. That was 12 years ago. People don't make consoles that include 4 controller ports anymore; only an ethernet port. People don't make games with splitscreen multiplayer anymore; they include a network mode. PSO was a 4-player offline experience because back then we gamers actually (GASP) went over friends houses n shit. That was the Dreamcast/Gamecube/Xbox era. Nowadays we slip on a headset and meet them on XBL/PSN.

No offline multiplayer / LAN support is INDEED tragic, but it cannot be helped. Times have changed.

This is excatly what I've been saying too all this time ever since the Alpha2.

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 01:22 AM
It really is sad. My hundreds of hours of PSO gameplay on GCN were all exclusively offline and with buddies. I never even owned a gamecube network adapter.

I can safely say the reason my PSO friends never got into PSU is because we could no longer interact the way we used to. No more sitting on the couch laughing yelling and insulting eachother for hours into the morning anymore...just headsets and keyboards. It's sad.

It's gonna get even more sad when this next generation of absolutely shitty consoles pop up with single account support and no game sharing, and games get even more network exclusive. I can honestly say i have no interest in the coming generation of game consoles. If i wanted to deal with that crap i'd have gone PC exclusive a longggg time ago.

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 01:25 AM
It really is sad. My hundreds of hours of PSO gameplay on GCN were all exclusively offline and with buddies. I never even owned a gamecube network adapter.

I can safely say the reason my PSO friends never got into PSU is because we could no longer interact the way we used to. No more sitting on the couch laughing yelling and insulting eachother for hours into the morning anymore...just headsets and keyboards. It's sad.

It's gonna get even more sad when this next generation of absolutely shitty consoles pop up with single account support and no game sharing, and games get even more network exclusive. I can honestly say i have no interest in the coming generation of game consoles. If i wanted to deal with that crap i'd have gone PC exclusive a longggg time ago.

Get the WII-U....DONE

kyuuketsuki
Mar 30, 2012, 01:30 AM
While I'm not disagreeing that PSO2 will not be an offline game, I fail to see any reason why it couldn't be played offline if they felt like throwing an offline mode in.
It is no longer the year 2000.
Yeah, it's not. That's why this devolution of removing useful features that older titles had in the name of "progress" is so absurd. But whatever.
People don't make consoles that include 4 controller ports anymore; only an ethernet port.
Umm... every console out supports 4 controllers. My PS3 has 4 usb ports, but having a ton of ports is becoming redundant when most people are using wireless controllers.
People don't make games with splitscreen multiplayer anymore; they include a network mode.
It's becoming less popular, but they still exist. Hell, even Xbox Live's premier titles, the Halo series, had splitscreen. And the most fun I had with those games was always splitscreening with my friends. It's about them wanting to force people to buy more copies, instead of your friends getting to play multiplayer for "free". Has everything to do with scumbags in suits who run the publishing companies, nothing to do with progress or innovation.
Nowadays we slip on a headset and meet them on XBL/PSN.
Not me, but admittedly I'm probably in the minority nowadays.
You're right, unfortunately. *wistful sigh*

Edit: Wow, I got ninjaed about 5 times while typing this post out.

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 02:03 AM
While I'm not disagreeing that PSO2 will not be an offline game, I fail to see any reason why it couldn't be played offline if they felt like throwing an offline mode in.

They wont do it because it goes against what they're trying to do in the first place, which is get paid. If they WERE to make an Offline mode, it'd probably be like PSU's offline mode -- deliberately garbage, so you'd just be more encouraged to play Online. A mode like PSO's though, I cant see happening. Why would they make a F2P game and give you a full offline-multiplayer experience where they can no longer pressure you to spend money?

Yeah, it's not. That's why this devolution of removing useful features that older titles had in the name of "progress" is so absurd. But whatever.

I agree, the removal of splitscreen multiplayer has seen alot of excuses. I think the most logical reason these days is that it takes up alot of horsepower, but nobody really cares. Halo and Gears of War, the two games that i probably enjoyed Splitscreening more than i did Netplaying. Hardest mode + co-op = hours of fun and blaming eachother for shit.

Umm... every console out supports 4 controllers. My PS3 has 4 usb ports, but having a ton of ports is becoming redundant when most people are using wireless controllers.

Of course they do. In fact, the Playstation 3 supports seven controllers.

Point is, nobody cares. If your Xbox or PS3 didn't support 4 controllers, what would you really be missing out on? Seriously? Halo is about the only FPS i know with a competent 4-player co-op campaign. But the amount of games you can play (FPS or not) that support 4-player splitscreen is terribly low this generation. Now, rewind the clock a bit and remove 2 of the controller slots from your N64 / Dreamcast / Gamecube / Xbox. If your younger years were anything like mine it'll be like removing one of your balls.

It's becoming less popular, but they still exist. Hell, even Xbox Live's premier titles, the Halo series, had splitscreen. And the most fun I had with those games was always splitscreening with my friends. It's about them wanting to force people to buy more copies, instead of your friends getting to play multiplayer for "free". Has everything to do with scumbags in suits who run the publishing companies, nothing to do with progress or innovation.

People don't care about splitscreen multiplayer anymore because that shit doesn't sell games anymore. Network modes do. Videogames stopped being about "fun" and "innovation" a long, long time ago. I think this generation has killed more game series and companies than any in existence thus far.

BIG OLAF
Mar 30, 2012, 02:32 AM
There are people that still like splitscreen multiplayer, and wish it was still relevant? What the hell is going on here.

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 02:48 AM
There are people that still like splitscreen multiplayer, and wish it was still relevant? What the hell is going on here.

....get out of here.

Xenobia
Mar 30, 2012, 05:00 AM
Just to make sure, what they want to get paid for is a developed game, and they have been paid by the initial purchase. They are free to sell endless addons, as long as the price does reflect the work on it. Usualy all they did is to release content already on the disc, not to develop completly new content. If the whole matter of not offering a offline mode anymore is only been motivated because of theyr (decreased) economics its rather pitiful. Stuff like that however, only provide a short time gain but in long time term its a loss.