PDA

View Full Version : Stuck on DEZO

captainhappy
Mar 18, 2012, 10:16 PM
Just thought I'd post and gripe that I'm stuck on DEZO in PSII with no idea where to go. Several hours of exploring do not lead to the "beautiful man" Will have to look around for a faq I guess

Dragwind
Mar 19, 2012, 01:01 PM
I highly suggest getting some map print-outs for Dezo, as you'll be circling around the whole planet quite a bit. PSII's Dezo was by far the most frustrating Dezo for me.

Possible spoiler-
[spoiler-box]
Hint: Stock up with the best stuff at whatever towns you've come across, and look around the edges of the giant hole in the near center of the planet. At the northeast part of the hole, you'll walk south from a town to find the graphic looks a little different on the edge and you can see a "crevice" of sorts. You can walk right into that crevice as it leads below, into a new area that is somewhat linear and will lead you to the "beautiful man".[/spoiler-box]

voodlar
Apr 6, 2012, 01:15 PM
Hey man!

I don't want to ruin any fun for you so stop reading at your own discretion; but did you go through Crevice? It's the hole in Dezo, down and to the left of Akuba town.

When you leave Akuba, go west then down. (not back into Skure) a little further west than that. Look for these real obscure wave rings in the ice that are supposed to be some sort of steps in the Crevice. You must navigate that until you come out where Esper Mansion is.

I think there is only 1 false exit from Crevice that leads nowhere and the dungeon itself isn't super complex but without the hintbook/map, as with many of the dungeons in PS2, it's easy to get lost!

[SPOILER-BOX] Lutz will give you the Aeroprism which will make the 4 dungeons of Dezo become visible as long as someone in your party has it with them. This will be a whole new part of the game for you now.

The enemies in those dungeons are mostly ghost-based and are extremely unpleasant. Have fun![/SPOILER-BOX]

captainhappy
Apr 6, 2012, 01:41 PM
Obscure is the right term for sure, thanks for the help. Almost as bad as the white dot that marks the entrance to climatrol.

I avoid most faq's and maps, trying to complete the game with only the manual. This adds MANY, MANY hours to my quest, but wasn't it satisfying to reach the beautiful man and obtain that piece of the story.

voodlar
Apr 6, 2012, 01:52 PM
Agreed man. Glad it worked out for you. I also never use cheat codes or anything like that either. But when I got PS2 for Genesis a long time ago... My buddy gave me the hint book with the dungeon maps and said it came with his game and I would need it. I admit I found those dungeons very time consuming considering the fights that will distract you and somewhat tricky for a first time player in my opinion (especially the ones on Dezo). Kudos to you for conquering them without a map!

Zorafim
Apr 9, 2012, 07:35 PM
I don't think I'll ever do any of the dungeons in Dezo without a map. There's one in particular which you traverse by falling down holes. And the dungeon is maybe 6 floors tall, with at least three choices each fall, only 2 at most leading to the item you want. So that's (2/(3^6)) ~= 0.3% probability of getting the item you want, while you're continuously being blasted by incredibly tough enemies.
Even with the map, it's incredibly difficult to navigate through without clever manipulation of Microsoft Paint.

I'm not saying not to do things the way you're doing them. All that I'm saying is, even with maps, PS2 was the hardest RPG I've ever played.

captainhappy
Apr 9, 2012, 08:33 PM
I don't think I'll ever do any of the dungeons in Dezo without a map. There's one in particular which you traverse by falling down holes. And the dungeon is maybe 6 floors tall, with at least three choices each fall, only 2 at most leading to the item you want. So that's (2/(3^6)) ~= 0.3% probability of getting the item you want, while you're continuously being blasted by incredibly tough enemies.
Even with the map, it's incredibly difficult to navigate through without clever manipulation of Microsoft Paint.

I'm not saying not to do things the way you're doing them. All that I'm saying is, even with maps, PS2 was the hardest RPG I've ever played.

Food for thought Zora, I would after all like to finish this game before I die.

Do you remember what the storyline reason is for exploration on DEZO, besides meeting the esper? (no spoilers please!)

voodlar
Apr 10, 2012, 09:28 AM
Yes ... Ikuto is a terrible place. But you'll probably enjoy it immensely. Just try to map where you land each time. And don't worry if the Gloswords keep kicking your rearend. You won't be tougher than them anytime soon!

I agree with Zora on that PS2 is an extremely hard (but fun) RPG. Someone else said it best: "exp is earned, not given".

As far as your question goes (without spoiling anything you don't already know), after all the drama about the satellite you were sentenced on crashing into and destroying the 1st planet of the system, the spaceship on the roof of the central tower was revealed to you. If I remember correctly; they wanted you to go see if something they believed in called Mother Brain was malfunctioning. Answers could be found on Dezo if you found the beautiful man to help you (which I'm thinking you did). Lutz told you to get the legendary weapons of Nei together and bring them to him. He also said they were strewn about the dungeons of Dezo.

captainhappy
May 26, 2012, 10:21 AM
Wasn't sure how to feel about resorting to the maps, but I did it to get the Nei Met in the Menobe dungeon. There is almost no way you would randomly get there.

Funny enough it was very satisfying to go and equip this item without the frustration of wandering. No saving TP, just blast every monster full force.

Got my item, increased Rolf DEF by 34, and said to myself "that was fun" for the first time in a while.

On a side note, wish JOSH could hit with BROSE more often. 500 plus damage - awesome!

voodlar
May 31, 2012, 03:01 PM
Yeah, Menobe is another terribly confusing dungeon. Lots of steps that go in circles or nowhere. Plus, you should probably stay off the 4th floor (the first time in there) except when absolutely necessary (which it is ... twice). If you get jumped by 3 Shadows, it's most likely the end for your party. (Unless you have grinded excessively before you went dungeon spelunking on Dezo.) Using the snow crown helps, but if they get the first round free, even the healing items (Truth Slvs, Amber Robe, etc) won't save you in time :( .

Among the first couple times I played PSII, I went to Guaron first. Only a couple bad levels in there. But the Vorcanos and Firdragons present a similar problem.

The "ghost type" monsters which infest the dungeons of Dezo are vulnerable to Kain's Brose as well as Hugh's Vol and Savol magic. But they all miss like 50/50. I think the dragons are too. Not sure if Sega meant that to be or not but you can take advantage of it.

The bottom of Ikuto and the 4th floor of Menobe are good places to level up if your party is around level 25+.

captainhappy
Jun 4, 2012, 05:13 PM
On to Ikuto . . . . Think I spent two hours building and studying a physical layered map. Developing the methodology for tracing back from the Nei Item to the top floor.

Three shadows used to be be an "ohhh shit" moment, but with BROSE and LV34 Rolf I now relish the ass kicking of these monsters.

voodlar
Aug 7, 2012, 09:21 PM
Wow...that's awesome. You really were doing some grinding early on without those maps??? I usually grind enough to get the meseta for the weapons I want and then press forward, partially solving dungeons as I grind. Wait until Rolf gets lvl35, he will get a neat magic.

captainhappy
Aug 8, 2012, 12:57 PM
Thanks for dropping by this old post Voodlar. I put down my controller on this one a couple months ago, but thanks to your reminder I'll have to pick it up again. Pretty soon this will be a year long epic for me to complete the game.

Lutz sent me to the spaceship Noah, where I promptly opened pandora's box. The mayhem that ensued BLEW MY MIND; so unexpected when compared to most other events in the game. Do you recall Pandora? Can this be defeated?

voodlar
Aug 10, 2012, 08:42 AM
Hey man. How's it going? Good to hear from you again. I log on here once in a while to read the news on PSO2 but I do enjoy the classic PS series.

If you are at Noah, then you are so close to being done with one of the hardest rpgs (that I have played).

I will try not to spoil anything but yes Darkforce can be defeated. However, it is undoubtedly the hardest battle of the game and Darkforce always has a chance to win. The higher the lvl of your party, the better odds for you. Lvl34+ is sufficient but I would still rate DF "challenging" at that point. There are 2 main factors here in my opinion.

1) YOUR PARTY ... The main character is automatic. Definitely Rudo (Neishot ftw!) I usually take Anna; not for her damage, but her speed and her NER buff which speeds up a char. Also, the doctor (Amy) really helps. (def buffs, speed ups, healing). Kain is an acceptable replacement (Nagaj works but brose doesn't).

2) LUCK!!!! ... You have no control over what DF does or when the Neisword will flash. Also, initiative still has a random factor to it. At lvl35, I'm thinking that some of your chars may act before DF, but not every time. (The neisword flash seems to happen every so many rounds at random and will dispel all evil influences on your characters.

Here are some of my tips on how to beat DF. I'm not saying they guarantee victory, but they work for me:

[SPOILER-BOX]Equip Anna with best emel possible (lacon or mirror). Amy with (Nei emel) or switch if I have that reversed. If you brought Kain, give him lac mace and neishield. I'm going to assume Rolf. Rudo, Amy, and Anna are present.

Start off with Rolf using snow crown and Amy casting Deban. This will guarantee a shield up after round 1. Rudo is shooting neishot. I like to use Anna's "ner" tech at first to make the fastest char faster (her and/or Rolf) until they are quicker than DF.

All chars should have a stack of Trimate. If I have any Starmist, I give it to the fastest char. Anyone can volunteer for heal duty. Better to be proactive on that. Don't worry about wasting a trimate if Df decides not to zap the party.

Amy is the key: after deban is up, use saner and sashu repeatedly (speed up all and defense up all) at your discretion. Of course she can cast nares if needed but I would let others use trimate and keep her buffing!

When not healing, Rolf casts Nathu or Nafoi til he runs out of TP. Then just slash with neisword. Rudo keeps blasting away. Anna stays on ner or shift until you're satisfied, then she can rely on her neislasher. I actually put her on trimate / starmist duty frequently.

I personally do NOT use "megid" due to the damage it causes to my party.

Getting possessed sucks and there is nothing you can do about it until the neisword flashes. Just work with what you can as it is happening. Certain possesions still allow the characters to act somewhat, other possessions totally suck![/SPOILER-BOX]

If you beat DF, congrats!!!! I suspect that there are probably many people who totally gave up on that and never did it.

[SPOILER-BOX]Not much further in Noah will be the end where MotherBrain awaits. While she is the final boss of the game, using my recommendations will normally get you right through the first time! In fact, you should find her far easier than DF as she does not possess anyone. When she attacks a single char, it totally cuts you a break![/SPOILER-BOX]

Good luck man! Try PS3 and PS4 if you haven't. They are both awesome games. Maybe I'll catch you online with PSO2 when it comes to US.

DJX25968
Jul 13, 2013, 08:25 PM
I was under leveled when I took o the final bosses. I nearly lost to DF (Rudo was the only one left and his "evil" was losing the confidence to fight. I used the magic items obtained in the dams and the towers as it may be cheap, but fairly effective. As for how under leveled the characters were: Rolf still doesn't have megid despite beating the game. Good luck!

captainhappy
Jul 15, 2013, 11:29 AM
Huh, been a while since I closed the book on PSII.

I never did gain the Megid technique either.

Looking back on this thread, I put a lot of effort into this game and did finish it. Took me a long time and I really enjoyed being on an epic quest to beat this RPG. However I never posted here again because . . . . . I was so disappointed with the mother brain final boss battle. Dark force was absolutely the battle climax of the game.

Overall though I do count it among the strongest gaming experiences I've had. I'll still sit and listen to the title screen theme and the whole journey will come back to me. Truly an awesome experience to look back on.

Thanks to the guys that shared this thread with me.

DJX25968
Jul 15, 2013, 08:38 PM
Will you be trying the other games?

captainhappy
Jul 16, 2013, 12:30 AM
Will you be trying the other games?

Oh yes for sure. I think that PS IV is a must play and I am looking forward to that. Possibly if PS02 makes it to the vita. Just need to clear a couple other games off the list first.

How bout you?

voodlar
Jul 16, 2013, 08:28 AM
Agreed. (on the disappointment of MB being a walk in the park) Good to hear from you again! Congrats on beating the game! The ending is a bit lacking too. But at that point, I really didn't know what I expected. The game was extremely fun. You would think that PSII would have almost no replay value. I have found that to be not exactly true. I have replayed it several times all the way through. It gets easier each time and you discover little tricks & things. If you enjoyed it, I would recommend PSIII and PSIV. They are fun in their own ways and you can remove the dungeon maze difficulty from the menu. While there are many dungeons with their own little patterns: I don't think any of them are even remotely as intense as say Ikuto or Climatrol. Cheers man!

p.s. There was one ending (Disciples 3 Resurrection I believe) where your character transformed into the opposing diety and you got to play a small board where you just slaughtered everyone mercilessly! It was a cool and unexpected development.

captainhappy
Jul 16, 2013, 07:33 PM
p.s. There was one ending (Disciples 3 Resurrection I believe) where your character transformed into the opposing diety and you got to play a small board where you just slaughtered everyone mercilessly! It was a cool and unexpected development.

So many games, so little time, even though I get the urge to do it again. (I never even knew your could stack up the buffs, and didn't find out how to use equipment eg snow crown until mid game!) Anyways, popular opinion won't sway me from PSIII, but becasue it isn't part of the story I may do PS IV first.

What game are you referring to with this alternate ending?

voodlar
Jul 17, 2013, 08:09 AM
The deban shield doesn't stack (I don't believe). But any kind of tech that boosts (or lowers) a character's statistic seems to definitely stack and not wear off until the fight is over. I didn't figure that out right away either. Did you give each char an amber robe / crescegear / aegis shield / truth sleeves to keep in their inventory? Each of those acts as a Gires spell when used in battle.

Indeed, do not let opinion sway you. I bet you will enjoy PSIII thoroughly based on how you grinded at PSII without a hintbook. The fights are more frequent. The character/monster battle animation is extremely limited. But the game is still absolutely fun. The generations thing is a twist that you will probably like and it basically causes you to want to replay as different main chars. The battle magic is a little disappointing from your char's point of view. Your weapons are soooo much better. If you want to replay as different 2nd and 3rd generation chars, just start saving in the other slot when Rhys (your first char) nears the end of his quest. Though the 3rd gen quests are nearly identical, you just come at them from a different angle.

It really doesn't matter which you play first. Just be prepared: PS4 has a few things I'll leave you to discover that are definitely advancements in gaming (at the time). So I hope it doesn't put a downer on PS3 afterwards. It shouldn't. Both are great games. (Actually, PS3 is a continuation of the story. There will be a reference to it late in the game that fills you in on why your characters are in the world they are in.)

I was referring to Disciples 3 ... a pc turn-based strategy game. If you like those: that series is WELL worth your time. D1 was legengary and D2 awesome. There were criticisms of D3 (and I can see why). It came in pieces (different factions) and they are a tad buggy. The battle switched to a movement based style. I still enjoyed it though. The Heroes of Might & Magic series is another legendary turn-based strategy series if you like battling armies.

I hope I didn't overload you on text here. I have summers off and I have always enjoyed gaming both on pc and on genesis. Have a great day :-)

DJX25968
Jul 17, 2013, 08:49 PM
I think you guys might like this link I will post. It leads to an older Phantasy Star site that has guides on the first four games along with other things. This site is what got me deeper into the series.
http://www.phantasy-star.net/index.html

voodlar
Jul 18, 2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks man! I will check that site out.

captainhappy
Jul 18, 2013, 10:52 AM
The deban shield doesn't stack (I don't believe). But any kind of tech that boosts (or lowers) a character's statistic seems to definitely stack and not wear off until the fight is over. I didn't figure that out right away either. Did you give each char an amber robe / crescegear / aegis shield / truth sleeves to keep in their inventory? Each of those acts as a Gires spell when used in battle.

This would have saved me soooooo much meseta and trips back to town for dimate had I known this early in the game.

Great recommendation for PSIII, I am more intrigued now and am more prone to do things in order anyway. I am pumped to do this, however have to finish working on FF X. I am pretty steady but it takes a long time as my only gaming time is 5-7 am with an espresso. Worse, I often turn 40 hour games into 80 cause I'd rather explore and figure out rather than speed through with a FAQ.

Will check out Disciples some time in the future, and please type away . . . great conversation.

captainhappy
Jul 18, 2013, 10:53 AM
I think you guys might like this link I will post. It leads to an older Phantasy Star site that has guides on the first four games along with other things. This site is what got me deeper into the series.
http://www.phantasy-star.net/index.html

Beauty site, definitely have referenced it in the past and will use it again!

voodlar
Jul 18, 2013, 05:30 PM
I have been to that site before. It's definitely cool. I like the combo list for PS4. I think I figured out 9 or 10 of them myself. The others, first I've heard of them.

@Catpainhappy

Sounds to me like you're genuinely "having fun" playing the game. I'd give anything for a new game to do that for me. I see too much polished eye candy with challenges removed or beaten by rush/cheat patterns, glitches, cash-shops for better gear, etc. but I am of course generalizing. Everyone enjoys their own thing and my style may be a bit different from others'.

Try not to use the site too much for PS3. You won't need it. Even the dungeons will seem gentle after PS2. If you enjoy repetitious fighting; you will love this one. (The fights don't take very long.) Plus there are 4 zones for creatures: a left / right foreground and background for bigger ones. I think you can have a max of 10 monsters at once!

Disciples is a turn-based series like HeroesofM&M for the pc. I enjoy those because sadly, real time action skills are starting to leave me behind. So are the 16+ button controllers!!! If you are playing Phantasy Star on a Genesis: and want something unique in the future: look for the cartrige Warsong. I picked it up in a used game store for $5. It is a one of a kind gem! Replayed it over 30 times! It actually caused me to buy a megadrive adaptor and its sequel which was never released in the US. Wow was its sequel (Langrisser II) awesome! Mostly in Japanese but numbers are Arabic and the internet can help with that.

Hope you enjoy PS3 and PS4. I think you will be in for a couple years of entertainment!