PDA

View Full Version : Odds that unique weapon attacks for rares will appear?

Rei-San
Mar 21, 2012, 10:01 PM
If there was anything from PSO1 that I missed were how some rare weapons could execute a unique attack with a press of the extra attack button. This is what I loved about rare weapons, they felt more unique by game play feel instead of being unique by just appearance, or stats.

Like how the Orotiagito fired a sword-beam shock wave, or how Heaven Punisher called judgment on you enemies, or how the Kunai despite being a dagger class could be thrown at a distance, or how the Spread Needle was a rifle class that fired like a shotgun and had the range of a mechgun. This made me feel that the rare weapons were more than just bragging rights. Not all weapons had this luxury mind you, but still.

So based on what we've seen so far, by data-mining and whatnot, what do you think the odds are for such a thing to return? Like certain weapons having their own PAs. I would die if Sega brought this back ^^

•Col•
Mar 21, 2012, 10:09 PM
From the stickied thread...

Item lab:
-Customize your items by grinding, increasing attributes, and adding special abilities
-When you acquire a weapon or unit, it will sometimes have an ability attached. You can transfer this ability to other weapons and units with the “Add a Special Ability” feature. But be careful, rare special abilities have lower chances of transferring over.

The only thing a "Special Ability" could be is either an additional ability like what was in PSP2(Freeze, Stun, etc) or unique attack abilities like the ones you mentioned. Maybe both. I think it'd at least be possible. Just, instead of equipping up to 3 Photon Arts onto a weapon, it would just be locked and have a unique PA of it's own permanently linked to it.

Dinosaur
Mar 21, 2012, 10:14 PM
I would put money that some rare weapons come with unique PAs. However, weapon abilities seem to be the replacement for extra weapon attacks. You might have some strong rares, but rare or high level weapon abilities are just as important, too.

r00tabaga
Mar 21, 2012, 11:56 PM
Lavis weapons will have their sonic wave thingy.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 22, 2012, 03:19 AM
Item lab:
-Customize your items by grinding, increasing attributes, and adding special abilities
-When you acquire a weapon or unit, it will sometimes have an ability attached. You can transfer this ability to other weapons and units with the “Add a Special Ability” feature. But be careful, rare special abilities have lower chances of transferring over.
Speaking of which, I can't remember from the alpha - when you try and fail to transfer a special ability from one weapon/unit to another weapon/unit, does that consume the weapon/unit you're transferring from, consume the special ability on that weapon/unit, or are you just out the meseta?

Saotome Kaneda
Mar 22, 2012, 04:31 AM
Speaking of which, I can't remember from the alpha - when you try and fail to transfer a special ability from one weapon/unit to another weapon/unit, does that consume the weapon/unit you're transferring from, consume the special ability on that weapon/unit, or are you just out the meseta?

Depends on how far along in synthing you are IIRC. At the base you simply lose the meseta and weapon. The more you add on or the higher level the ability is, the more of a chance that you fail to add a special slot, or lose a slot/not add an ability.

Cayenne
Mar 22, 2012, 08:02 PM
Did you ever consider that SEGA could fill the "unique attack with the press of the extra attack button" void with a rare PA with the press of the PA button?

Rei-San
Mar 22, 2012, 08:37 PM
Did you ever consider that SEGA could fill the "unique attack with the press of the extra attack button" void with a rare PA with the press of the PA button?

That's actually what I'm getting at. Ecept take what Colaya said, and the rare would have it's own PA. Take the Orotiagito's sword-beam or the Tsumikiri-J's Hurricane-o-Pain, what since would it make to put those PA on a Zanba? It should be locked to that weapon.

•Col•
Mar 22, 2012, 09:38 PM
There could be some really cool ones if they bring back PSO weapons again.

For instance, if Soul Eater were to come back as a rare weapon... Make it a Sword type... And make it's unique Photon Art a 360 AoE attack that absorbs some HP to activate. Or heck, since the PB gauge is back, bring back the Berdysh as a Partisan and give it a unique PA that absorbs the Photon Blast energy to release a powerful energy wave.

I dunno. Stuff like that seems possible, and would make certain rare weapons extremely awesome.

darkante
Mar 23, 2012, 10:51 AM
I hope they do bring uniques to special weapons.

Like if it were a Laser Cannon that had a super charge that take maybe a minute to charge then you get a very huge straight forward beam that do tons of damage and after that you can´t use that weapon for one day as penalty.

Hard to justify it´s ability in other ways.

For Rifles...hmm maybe a netshooter? It would trap smaller fries for a few seconds.
Although, the atp would probably be 1/3 of regular strength just so it wouldn´t be too broken.

What i did like about PSU rifles are those knockdown effects you got later on.
Now why they made rifles worse in PS2/I is beyond me.
Knockdown bullet p.a were too pp heavy.

Aki_Yoruno
Mar 23, 2012, 06:12 PM
Partisans are back, and they look hella sweet. I'm sure Soul Eater/Banish would be in that category again, unlike PSP2/I.

•Col•
Mar 23, 2012, 06:22 PM
Partisans are back, and they look hella sweet. I'm sure Soul Eater/Banish would be in that category again, unlike PSP2/I.

Soul Eater should be in the Sword class, like it was in PSP2... D: PSO Partisans were just slightly faster Swords, anyway.

PSO2 partisans have a lot of quick little stabbing attacks... It wouldn't make sense to stab people with the top side of a scythe... Giving it the Sword animations would be fine.

Aki_Yoruno
Mar 23, 2012, 06:33 PM
You have a point there. Also, as I mentioned in a different forum, I really miss partisans from PSO over spears from PSU. Don't like the stabbing action. LOVED the fact that partisans were faster swords. I could attack multiple enemies at close range quickly. PSO Aki in my sig is holding a Red Partisan, btw.

•Col•
Mar 23, 2012, 09:53 PM
You have a point there. Also, as I mentioned in a different forum, I really miss partisans from PSO over spears from PSU. Don't like the stabbing action. LOVED the fact that partisans were faster swords. I could attack multiple enemies at close range quickly. PSO Aki in my sig is holding a Red Partisan, btw.

I definitely didn't like how PSU spears were just all stabs for normal attacks... But I didn't really like how Partisans in PSO were exactly the same as Swords either.

I think PSO2 Partisans found a good middle ground between thrusting and slashing. :) They seem juuuuuuust right.

r00tabaga
Mar 23, 2012, 10:35 PM
I definitely didn't like how PSU spears were just all stabs for normal attacks... But I didn't really like how Partisans in PSO were exactly the same as Swords either.

I think PSO2 Partisans found a good middle ground between thrusting and slashing. :) They seem juuuuuuust right.

^^^
This.

I hope they bring back Brionic. It was one of my favorite partisans from PSO just b/c it went dormant when not in use. As soon as enemies appeared, the photon head of the spear came out & it looked really sick.

NoiseHERO
Mar 23, 2012, 10:52 PM
^^^
This.

I hope they bring back Brionic. It was one of my favorite partisans from PSO just b/c it went dormant when not in use. As soon as enemies appeared, the photon head of the spear came out & it looked really sick.
That sounds awesome, I hope they do bring back more weapons like that.

I remember PSZ and PSP2 had some, but never got that far in PSO, don't think PSU had any not when I played.

I remember in PSZ I'd always use this one rare double saber that was actually kind of weak, but it always looked awesome the way the beam would only come out when you swung it.

But the beam coming out when theres monsters around sounds just as cool.

•Col•
Mar 23, 2012, 11:20 PM
But the beam coming out when theres monsters around sounds just as cool.

It's a lot less cooler than he made it sound. D:

The Brionac is the most basic/common rare Partisan. Honestly, I always thought it looked pretty lame when the photon blade wasn't out(which was the vast majority of the time). Also, it only came out when you actually attacked with it. Not when enemies were around.

[spoiler-box]
http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/BB-BRIONAC-ACTION-1.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/brionicv301.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/brionicv302.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

NoiseHERO
Mar 23, 2012, 11:25 PM
It's a lot less cooler than he made it sound. D:

The Brionac is the most basic/common rare Partisan. Honestly, I always thought it looked pretty lame when the photon blade wasn't out(which was the vast majority of the time). Also, it only came out when you actually attacked with it. Not when enemies were around.

[spoiler-box]
http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/BB-BRIONAC-ACTION-1.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/brionicv301.jpg
http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/brionicv302.jpg
[/spoiler-box]

Oh so it WAS like the weapons I was thinking of.

I still think it's cool, but that particular weapon DOES look kinda "meh."

r00tabaga
Mar 23, 2012, 11:35 PM
It was basic but still God-like. I could could care less about stats and rank.....if a weapon looks cool, I'm bring the pain w/it!

Shadownami92
Mar 24, 2012, 01:26 AM
I don't think I would like the Soul Eater as a sword just because it seems like swords in PSO2 look like they are held in the same point with both hands, for a partisan or scythe it would just look weird. What I think they might do/should do is probably make it as a subclass for the Rod that forces use. At least animation wise it would probably look less odd.

I believe they also did this in PSZ with the Calamity Soul and White Disaster

Rei-San
Mar 24, 2012, 01:34 AM
I don't think I would like the Soul Eater as a sword just because it seems like swords in PSO2 look like they are held in the same point with both hands, for a partisan or scythe it would just look weird. What I think they might do/should do is probably make it as a subclass for the Rod that forces use. At least animation wise it would probably look less odd.

I believe they also did this in PSZ with the Calamity Soul and White Disaster

By that logic i think I would want Soul Eater to be a sword class weapon, and then have Soul Banisher be a Rod equivalent and make it fire Megid as it did in the first PSO... Or at least Amplify Megid.

Shadownami92
Mar 24, 2012, 02:14 AM
By that logic i think I would want Soul Eater to be a sword class weapon, and then have Soul Banisher be a Rod equivalent and make it fire Megid as it did in the first PSO... Or at least Amplify Megid.

I don't see how it's not a good idea honest or how Soul Eater would be good as a sword while the Banish would be a Rod.

Since I think Rods are separate from Wands, I don't think Rods are technically in PSO2 yet. If they where though I think they would handle much like Partisans, just without the stabbing.

Rods overall could possibly be more of a Force melee weapon with the option of amplifying offhand spells. Either way I just think it would look weird swinging a Scythe using the PSO2 sword animation where the hands are very close together.

Either that or just make scythes count as Partisans that wouldn't be able to use Stab PAs or rather the stab attacks would just be less effective. Though I feel like a Soul Eater or Soul banish would be the type of weapon that should come with it's own Rare Item PAs that could replace the stabbing attacks.

When I talk about Scythes as rods, I'm going by the logic of how it looks animation wise, not necessarily the specific utility of that specific type of weapon such as stats, since each individual weapon could technically set with stats that don't reflect the overall weapon class.

•Col•
Mar 24, 2012, 02:33 AM
^We've already seen the PSO2 Rods. They're the Force weapon we've been seeing all this time.

I'm sorry, but making the Soul Eater a Rod just is dumb. D: Just make it the Sword weapon class. It looks perfectly fine in PSP2. And making it a Partisan would probably look the worst... It has a bunch of (VERY SHORT) slashes and stabbing animations that would just look bad on a scythe... You need wide, sweeping arcs with a scythe weapon...

Shadownami92
Mar 24, 2012, 02:59 AM
I don't know about you, but I hardly call this fine when holding a scythe.

http://i.imgur.com/a5pjQ.jpg?1

And even then your character's hand seem to be held apart farther than characters holding a sword in PSO2

http://i.imgur.com/izRcl.png

If you look at the hands in many PSO2 videos you will notice the hands stay close in a position near the very end of the sword.

Furthermore I don't think lots of the sword animations would really fit with a scythe either. I thought scythes worked really well in PSZ as Rods, and if it's as you say that Rods and Wands are pretty much the same thing in PSO2, then I sure hope something new weapon shows up.

To be honest I personally would prefer a specialized Scythe weapon type.

Either way when you say that Partisans have a mix of stabbing and slashing attacks, isn't that all based on the sort of PA combo that you customize on the weapon? I'm pretty sure that seems to be how attacking works in PSO2 so it wouldn't be too far'fetched for a scythe to be a Partisan that just has slashing combo PA type attacks right?

Even in PSP2 I think it looks extremely goofy holding a scythe that low. To me it just makes more sense to use a base holding animation that takes into account that the main body of the weapon is a pole, and that the length can be used as leverage for more effective use than swinging it by the end.

•Col•
Mar 24, 2012, 03:47 AM
Either way when you say that Partisans have a mix of stabbing and slashing attacks, isn't that all based on the sort of PA combo that you customize on the weapon? I'm pretty sure that seems to be how attacking works in PSO2 so it wouldn't be too far'fetched for a scythe to be a Partisan that just has slashing combo PA type attacks right?

The normal attack combo for the Partisan is a bunch of short slashes/stabs. They aren't going to make a custom attack animation for one weapon... And as for the Photon Arts, you select the ones you want to equip on it(All the ones we saw in the new video were stabbing based)... Meaning there would be people out there using the Soul Eater and hitting enemies with nothing but the blunt side. D:

Shadownami92
Mar 24, 2012, 05:02 AM
The normal attack combo for the Partisan is a bunch of short slashes/stabs. They aren't going to make a custom attack animation for one weapon... And as for the Photon Arts, you select the ones you want to equip on it(All the ones we saw in the new video were stabbing based)... Meaning there would be people out there using the Soul Eater and hitting enemies with nothing but the blunt side. D:

True, but it's they used the old PSO model for the Soul Eater in PSP2 right? So isn't it time for an HD revamp? Why not make it spikey and halberd like? THat would solve the stabbing issue. Furthermore I doubt most PAs will just be stabbing attacks, it will probably be more well rounded.

And rather than making custom animations for 1 weapon they could make an entire scythe weapon type. I don't mind more types of scythes to use.

I honestly just feel like it would be strange to use the sword animations for the scythes.

Mike
Mar 24, 2012, 06:31 AM
True, but it's they used the old PSO model for the Soul Eater in PSP2 right? So isn't it time for an HD revamp? Why not make it spikey and halberd like? THat would solve the stabbing issue.
Then it ceases to be the "Soul Eater" and becomes a new weapon and a weapon that looks like the original Soul Eater is added in some later update. Old PSO weapons and other bits of nostalgia are some of the things used to hook old players in to the new games so a redesigned Soul Eater, or any legacy weapon, is out of the question. Legacy weapons will get ham-fisted in to whatever weapon categories exist.

NoiseHERO
Mar 24, 2012, 09:51 AM
Yeeaaahh I'm gonna have to agree that the scythe would make more sense as a mage weapon..

I could care less about that ugly soul eater then, but scythes in general would make more sense as some kind of dark magic/TECH enhancing artifact than some "ultra cool melee weapon" I mean they're pretty questionable weapons in general outside of anime world.

Unless you go into the cool ninja hand scythe thingies.

Otherwise just shut up and make em for partisans anyway and put a blade at the end for the "stabs" and actually design COOLER looking scythes weapons for it as well. Soul eater... meh.

r00tabaga
Mar 24, 2012, 09:58 AM
Advantage: Rock Easewood :D

•Col•
Mar 24, 2012, 12:14 PM
Yeeaaahh I'm gonna have to agree that the scythe would make more sense as a mage weapon..

I could care less about that ugly soul eater then, but scythes in general would make more sense as some kind of dark magic/TECH enhancing artifact than some "ultra cool melee weapon" I mean they're pretty questionable weapons in general outside of anime world.

Unless you go into the cool ninja hand scythe thingies.

Otherwise just shut up and make em for partisans anyway and put a blade at the end for the "stabs" and actually design COOLER looking scythes weapons for it as well. Soul eater... meh.

I'd be fine if they just made Scythes a new weapon class of their own... But for now, they aren't.

Also wouldn't really mind if they made pike/scythe weapons for the Partisan class.... But Soul Eater really just wouldn't look good as one. >_<

Imagine people ONLY stabbing at enemies with the top of this weapon(even skewering them) and not use the actual blade at all:

[spoiler-box]
http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/SOUL_EATER-WITHOUTBARS.jpg[/spoiler-box]

I don't even understand how people would think that could look okay. D:

Rei-San
Mar 24, 2012, 01:09 PM
Unless the character flips the weapon around for the stabing attack. Cause weapons can change during attacks. PSO did it, and the reason PSU couldn't is because of the damn PS2's lack of a Hard Drive. (Meaning the Brionic can come back as well as the Psycho Wands ability to retract.)

So yeah, The scythe can be used for cutting, the bottom of the shaft for stabing. And the blade can use the grab and swing animation I saw earlier.

Vashyron
Mar 24, 2012, 01:28 PM
If your talking about animated weapons, some PSU weapons did this as well you know.

(I don't even see how you could of tied this to PS2 limitations.)

Rei-San
Mar 24, 2012, 01:57 PM
I can swear I read somewear that the reasons weapons like the Psycho Wand coudn't retract like it did in PSO was because of the PS2 limitations. It couldn't handle it. And as we know the PS2's limitations affected the whole community, cause why couldn't they fix it on the PC version? Probobly cause it would clash with the superior version as they shared the same servers.

r00tabaga
Mar 24, 2012, 02:21 PM
I'd be fine if they just made Scythes a new weapon class of their own... But for now, they aren't.

Also wouldn't really mind if they made pike/scythe weapons for the Partisan class.... But Soul Eater really just wouldn't look good as one. >_<

Imagine people ONLY stabbing at enemies with the top of this weapon(even skewering them) and not use the actual blade at all:

[spoiler-box]
http://www.pso-world.com/images/items/SOUL_EATER-WITHOUTBARS.jpg[/spoiler-box]

I don't even understand how people would think that could look okay. D:

"It's just a game Billy".

Vashyron
Mar 24, 2012, 02:28 PM
I can swear I read somewear that the reasons weapons like the Psycho Wand coudn't retract like it did in PSO was because of the PS2 limitations. It couldn't handle it. And as we know the PS2's limitations affected the whole community, cause why couldn't they fix it on the PC version? Probobly cause it would clash with the superior version as they shared the same servers.

Simply put they were lazy on adding the animations from the get go.

If they even wanted to update animations later then yes, PS2 needing a HDD would impede on that as the static model would need to have been updated.
(Both versions could exist, PC could of gotten an updated model that retracted and stuff while PS2 could keep the static old one, issue here is they just didn't care about it.)

Shadownami92
Mar 25, 2012, 02:48 AM
Then it ceases to be the "Soul Eater" and becomes a new weapon and a weapon that looks like the original Soul Eater is added in some later update. Old PSO weapons and other bits of nostalgia are some of the things used to hook old players in to the new games so a redesigned Soul Eater, or any legacy weapon, is out of the question. Legacy weapons will get ham-fisted in to whatever weapon categories exist.

I don't see how it would cease to be the Soul Eater, I don't really know what you think when I say they should update the look of the Soul Eater, the model they have been using hasn't had an HD upgrade for about a decade, just taking existing characteristics of the Soul Eater and making them longer and pointier wouldn't make it any less the "Soul Eater".

I honestly don't think old players would be stupid enough to not enjoy old weapons with a new look, and when I say new look I really mean updated to current generation standards, not complete redesigns. In fact, I think there might be more of a sense of nostalgia for people to see the old weapons get the upgrade. Sort of like how many enjoyed their old favorite characters get upgrades from 2d 16-bit graphics to 3d, or N64 and Playstation 1 graphics to the Gamecube/PS2.

And I think the series has enough scythes for it's own weapon type when it comes to rares. With the ones from PSZ and PSO.

And while legacy weapons will go into weapon categories that exist I'm sure fans would prefer their legacy weapons to generally work the way they did in the games that give them their nostalgia kick. I mean you would probably be a little annoyed if a weapon you loved in an older game was used in a way totally different than in the game you played before and not necessarily for the better, but just because they decided to chuck some nostalgia into a game without much effort right?

Also I don't see it being too problematic to stab using the Soul Eater, I mean look! the Photon edge is on the top of the blade, and it's got some pointy bits to it!

•Col•
Mar 25, 2012, 03:20 AM
And while legacy weapons will go into weapon categories that exist I'm sure fans would prefer their legacy weapons to generally work the way they did in the games that give them their nostalgia kick. I mean you would probably be a little annoyed if a weapon you loved in an older game was used in a way totally different than in the game you played before and not necessarily for the better, but just because they decided to chuck some nostalgia into a game without much effort right?

The thing is... Pushing the Soul Eater into the Partisan class will make it even LESS like the one from PSO... There's a reason they put it in the sword class rather than the polearm class in PSP2.

Your entire arguement right now is "Oh, a character would hold it kinda weird if it was in the Sword class"... Which, yeah, it might. But putting it in the Partisan class is not only going to make it look MUCH weirder, it would also function completely different from the PSO version. You swing it around, not poke things with it... :/ At least if it was in the sword class, it'd still feel the same...

I think you're just dead set on using Partisans in PSO2 and you want the Soul Eater to be made into one... But listen. Partisans were my favorite weapon class in PSO. Soul Eater was my favorite partisan in the game. I've already thought about the weapons I want to use in PSO2... Sword is not among that list. Even so, I still feel Soul Eater would work the best as a Sword... :/

Also, completely against "updating" old weapon looks... PSO rares were already designed fairly well, I think. Just need a slight upgrade in their polygon counts. No need to change them. They can create new versions of the weapon if they want, but they better not try to pass it off as the original. I think they did things right in PSP2, where they added the Soul Eater, then created a new version of it... The Soul Phoenix:
http://psp2.psupedia.info/images/f/f1/Soul_Phoenix.jpg

Shadownami92
Mar 25, 2012, 03:29 AM
The thing is... Pushing the Soul Eater into the Partisan class will make it even LESS like the one from PSO... There's a reason they put it in the sword class rather than the polearm class in PSP2.

Your entire arguement right now is "Oh, a character would hold it kinda weird if it was in the Sword class"... Which, yeah, it might. But putting it in the Partisan class is not only going to make it look MUCH weirder, it would also function completely different from the PSO version. You swing it around, not poke things with it... :/ At least if it was in the sword class, it'd still feel the same...

I think you're just dead set on using Partisans in PSO2 and you want the Soul Eater to be made into one... But listen. Partisans were my favorite weapon class in PSO. Soul Eater was my favorite partisan in the game. I've already thought about the weapons I want to use in PSO2... Sword is not among that list. Even so, I still feel Soul Eater would work the best as a Sword... :/

Also, completely against "updating" old weapon looks... PSO rares were already designed fairly well, I think. Just need a slight upgrade in their polygon counts. No need to change them. They can create new versions of the weapon if they want, but they better not try to pass it off as the original. I think they did things right in PSP2, where they added the Soul Eater, then created a new version of it... The Soul Phoenix:
http://psp2.psupedia.info/images/f/f1/Soul_Phoenix.jpg

I think your focusing too much on the poking of things, if you saw the Partisans in PSO2 they don't just poke, they also swing, and with PAs I think the Soul Eater would look a lot more natural with swinging and stabbing moreso than holding the Soul Eater a strange way and swinging it in an even stranger way for a scythe.

And no I'm not hell-bent on wanting this to be a polearm so I can use it that way. Personally I liked how scythes were rods in PSZ and I liked using it like a partisan in PSO. I honestly hated the stabbiness of weapons in the PSU series. I'm a melee focus Fomar for my main all the time. I'm just saying that it's a lot easier for me to look passed the stabs, or maybe even avoid using them if it were a PSO2 Partisan, than running around holding it in a strange way and using it in a way totally unlike how I used them in PSO or PSZ.

On another note, how do you think they will handle katanas in this game? Think it will be like the bigger two handed swords we have seen? Their own weapon type? Or some time of gunslash? Because as a Fomar the weapons I would always use were the Soul Eater, the Agito, and the S-Rank double sided saber.

Mike
Mar 25, 2012, 03:46 AM
I did write a serious response, but it occured to me at the end of writing what is mostly likely to happen. A redesign means more money spent. Simplying fitting a weapon in to a category with little problem means less money spent. As fans, we tend to get caught up a bit in our own ideals but in the real world money is more important than ideals. Since somebody would have to be paid to redesign a weapon to fit it in to a category it doeesn't easily fit in to, I can't see Sega doing it. It's much cheaper just to keep the design and throw it somewhere where it fits easily. That makes everybody happy. Fans get their nostalgia and Sega gets money from fans.

So, yeah, money.

•Col•
Mar 25, 2012, 03:54 AM
I think your focusing too much on the poking of things, if you saw the Partisans in PSO2 they don't just poke, they also swing, and with PAs I think the Soul Eater would look a lot more natural with swinging and stabbing moreso than holding the Soul Eater a strange way and swinging it in an even stranger way for a scythe.

PSO2 partisans have a heavy emphasis on stabbing attacks... Yeah, they have some swinging attacks right now, but... Even just one stabbing attack with the Soul Eater would just not look right. I think a scythe would look fine with the PSO2 sword style, anyway... All the normal attacks are very wide, horizontal motions...

As for the katana weapons.. Doubting they'll return unless they really feel like going out of their way to include them. It would be too much trouble in my eyes. Maybe they could fit into one of the later weapon classes(other than the ones found from datamining) they decide to add into the game.

Shadownami92
Mar 25, 2012, 04:02 AM
I did write a serious response, but it occured to me at the end of writing what is mostly likely to happen. A redesign means more money spent. Simplying fitting a weapon in to a category with little problem means less money spent. As fans, we tend to get caught up a bit in our own ideals but in the real world money is more important than ideals. Since somebody would have to be paid to redesign a weapon to fit it in to a category it doeesn't easily fit in to, I can't see Sega doing it. It's much cheaper just to keep the design and throw it somewhere where it fits easily. That makes everybody happy. Fans get their nostalgia and Sega gets money from fans.

So, yeah, money.

I know enough about game development, especially from an art perspective, to know that it doesn't take much time for a professional artist to redesign old weapons without being destructive to the original source. Especially when it comes to weapons, and when it comes to such simple designs as those for Phantasy Star weapons these could easily be done at professional level in a matter of hours. Hardly any money is at stake really. Furthermore Sega most likely has their artists paid by contract, therefore it wouldn't be a paid money per asset type of deal therefore the amount of money used on this would be extremely small. Extreeeeemely small.

moorebounce
Mar 25, 2012, 04:31 AM
I know enough about game development, especially from an art perspective, to know that it doesn't take much time for a professional artist to redesign old weapons without being destructive to the original source. Especially when it comes to weapons, and when it comes to such simple designs as those for Phantasy Star weapons these could easily be done at professional level in a matter of hours. Hardly any money is at stake really. Furthermore Sega most likely has their artists paid by contract, therefore it wouldn't be a paid money per asset type of deal therefore the amount of money used on this would be extremely small. Extreeeeemely small.

I agree w/ you Shadow unless they decide to put in a weapon type not already in the game it shouldn't cost anything to reskin a weapon. If they did bring back old PSO weapons (which I would love to see) I hope they at least update the designs. Which again wouldn't cost anything IMO.

DA_SHIZZLE_IG
Mar 25, 2012, 06:38 AM
If there was anything from PSO1 that I missed were how some rare weapons could execute a unique attack with a press of the extra attack button. This is what I loved about rare weapons, they felt more unique by game play feel instead of being unique by just appearance, or stats.

Like how the Orotiagito fired a sword-beam shock wave, or how Heaven Punisher called judgment on you enemies, or how the Kunai despite being a dagger class could be thrown at a distance, or how the Spread Needle was a rifle class that fired like a shotgun and had the range of a mechgun. This made me feel that the rare weapons were more than just bragging rights. Not all weapons had this luxury mind you, but still.

So based on what we've seen so far, by data-mining and whatnot, what do you think the odds are for such a thing to return? Like certain weapons having their own PAs. I would die if Sega brought this back ^^

God damn you just took me back!!! I'm gonna cry right about now lol. THE C bringers arm rifle with the dark matter shot, the unlocking of the J sword and the spinning dome release attack, The snow queen randomly freezing you, the yasminkov guns sounding like real shot guns etc etc. I think we can all agree that psu failed when it came to this. Plus they waited waaaaaay to long to release their top weapons so they could have had these type of affects.(I wouldn't know I quit almost 2 years ago)

I'll never forget the 1st time unleashing the wrath of the heavens punisher on dreamcast pso ver 2. I got the item from that rare blue gorilla monster in the forest. I thought it was a glitch that it had all them stars and it was just a regular hand gun. I was just about to sell it after I killed the big worm in the caves one last time. Then boom!! lights came from the sky and shit started dying left and right. I used to love killing everything before the hunters could and taking the rares after they get knocked down.

I did not mean to right that much lol.

NoiseHERO
Mar 25, 2012, 07:12 AM
I'm pretty sure that partisan is mostly swings, even blocking with it is a twirling motion. D:

Like I said, scythes are kind of a stupid weapon in general outside of anime world. As I also said soul eater is just ONE weapon. I don't think it looks completely retarded "stabbing" or jabbing or PRODDING an enemy with a non-sharp side of any weapon. And as Other Mike said, a reskin is easier, saves more time and money, and it makes everyone happy, besides fans that would nitpick at a couple of "off" things and blow it up into a big deal.

OR... they could just NOT bring back a number of PSO/PSU/PSZ weapons altogether!! Yeah that sounds WAY better than the weapon not getting it's own animation/weapon type!

So yeah forget about it. there's bigger things to nitpick and turn into "what I know about professional Japanese online game design" battles that exceed common sense and favor small groups of fans points of views on things nobody cares about.

As for katanas? c'mon we don't even have sabers anymore, obviously they'd just throw katanas into some random weapon type like they did PSU.. NB4 gunkatanas and sephiroth swords.

On a more interesting side of this topic, unique weapon animations would be cool.

Shadownami92
Mar 25, 2012, 01:59 PM
Also I don't know about you guys, but I think the Bringer's Rifle would look cool as a Gunslash, I mean, the gun already looks like a blade. And Chaos Bringers themselves whacked people with them.

Unique weapon animations would be cool.

Considering the time it will take to update the graphics of all the old weapons already I don't see how it would be a matter of time or money when it comes to doing a partial weapon redesign in order to fit the weapon types.

Also I feel like there will be quite a few more weapon types they have yet to reveal. I mean seriously PSO,PSU and PSZ all had tons of weapon types, and PS02 seems to have barely scratched the surface of the number of weapon types of the other games. So maybe it would be best to wait to see what other weapon types they show off before thinking about which rares would fit into the very limited weapon types already revealed?

Another idea...make rare weapons that don't fit into categories into Mag Cells, then based on weapon type it would attack things in different ways. They always explained mags would have either physical or ranged attacks. And I wouldn't mind a floating Soul Eater that floated around hacking at things. (This isn't a totally serious suggestion)

NoiseHERO
Mar 25, 2012, 03:06 PM
This game will definitely have more weapon types, hopefully by full release (because right now only 3 weapons are fitting my tastes.)

But in general it feels like their new approach at weapons might be killing off a good number of past weapons with the expanded uses given to one weapon type.

The first time I safe how fast and rapid the assault rifle was. I pretty much knew there would be no need for at least 4 other gun types...

I think if they wanted though, they could still make a sniper rifle, and a shot gun, and a fist weapon type, hopefully twin daggers/sabers.

Though force's weapon choices already look like an improvement at least.

Rei-San
Mar 25, 2012, 04:47 PM
Or if were lucky we will have rare weapon types like PSO. like how there were the types you could buy from the store, then the rare item that had classes that were unknown at that point, like launchers, katana, and cards.

I raised an eyebrow at he number of weapons that could appear in the game. For the amount of work they are putting into the game, they can do better.

r00tabaga
Mar 25, 2012, 11:09 PM
I think if they wanted though, they could still make a sniper rifle, and a shot gun, and a fist weapon type, hopefully twin daggers/sabers.
Didn't data-mining already prove that fist weapons, shotguns, dbl sabers & twin daggers are in pso2? 13 weapon types is a great start.

Man, I want pso-style twin mechguns with pso2's TPS!

NoiseHERO
Mar 25, 2012, 11:12 PM
Didn't data-mining already prove that fist weapons, shotguns, dbl sabers & twin daggers are in pso2?

Man, I want pso-style twin mechguns with pso2's TPS flare!

I'm actually not sure, I remember getting hyped about it but I didn't quite understand what that evidence was, or if it was actually decisive evidence that we could say "YEAH FIST WEAPONS ARE BACK!"

But I want my damn fist weapons D<

Preferably NOT sock'em boppers, but even that would be acceptable for me. D:

Shadownami92
Mar 25, 2012, 11:16 PM
Since there is already animations for fighting with your bare hands the most basic form of a Fist weapon would be incredibly easy to add. I'm sure no matter what the form that fist weapons will be making an appearance.

r00tabaga
Mar 25, 2012, 11:28 PM
What else could KN stand for? Partizan is PZ, Gunslash is GS & so on. It's gotta be knuckles dude! I like really wanna play this game. B A D .

NoiseHERO
Mar 26, 2012, 12:15 AM
KNUCKLES ARE I-Augh caps lock.

Knuckles are in, I THINK I saw a shot gun... or it was just the grenade launcher/assault rifle PA. It was too blurry to tell.

Remius
Mar 26, 2012, 12:55 AM
Chance that Rares will have special attacks in the PSO function (like Tsumikiri/Lavis and such)

-decent, granted they actually take the time to program them in instead of just modeling a pretty effect around every weapon like in PSU.

Chance that Rares will have unique attack patterns (like L&K38 Combat, Inferno Bazooka or Spread Needle. )

-once again, depends on how much focus they have on real rare weapons. Probably not so high, seeing as PSOBB already had a crapload of weapons from 2 DC expansions and EpI&II, and PSO2 is a brand new game from the ground up.

Chance that Rares will have specific PAs/animations
- abysmally low, in my opinion. The game seems to be stripped for unique animation as it is. PSO Ep.I&II had far, far more unique animations than PSO2 does and it didn't even do it. PSO2 doesn't even currently have differing racial animations. As of the beta footage, Gender animations have been added, but seemingly still no class/racial differences. I would be very, very surprised if specific weapons had their own animations done for them.

my two pennies.