PDA

View Full Version : Question to alpha2 players about controllers.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 23, 2012, 06:52 AM
Well as the title states I'm basically wondering for those who used controllers to play on the alpha 2 for PSO2, would you be able to recommend any controllers or converters to use for the Beta? If I do get into it I'd like to get one to be able to use for it right away, I'm not sure if this has been posted somewhere before but I couldn't find it.

Angelo
Mar 23, 2012, 07:12 AM
I used the xbox 360 wired controller with a chat pad. Worked like a dream.

Though you have to get unlicensed drivers for that chat pad to work.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 23, 2012, 07:32 AM
ooh nice did you use a converter for it or was the wired controller with a usb connection? I only have the wireless ones but will definitively invest in one of those.

youcantcatchtheblue
Mar 23, 2012, 11:02 AM
Yes, wired Xbox 360 controller is pretty much the most reliable controller out there that you can get for a PC.

It works like a charm on everything I've thrown at it, and it's still THE best game controller to date, IMO.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 23, 2012, 11:15 AM
Thanks for the info! I will get a wired one for sure then I imagine I need some type of converter for it? I'll just look it up but good to know I can use that.

youcantcatchtheblue
Mar 23, 2012, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the info! I will get a wired one for sure then I imagine I need some type of converter for it? I'll just look it up but good to know I can use that.

Converter? Wired Xbox 360 controller uses USB - that's why it's so good!! And because it's Microsoft's it will automatically install the drivers for you, no hassles with compatibility, just PLUG & PLAY!!!

•Col•
Mar 23, 2012, 11:53 AM
Converter? Wired Xbox 360 controller uses USB - that's why it's so good!! And because it's Microsoft's it will automatically install the drivers for you, no hassles with compatibility, just PLUG & PLAY!!!

I think he was talking about a Wireless Xbox 360 controller converter. Unfortunately, as far as I know they don't actually make any. That usb battery pack thing wont work for that purpose.

Anyway yeah, go with a wired Xbox 360 controller. It worked perfectly when I played the Alpha.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 23, 2012, 12:35 PM
Alright thanks I never used a wired one but I'm going to go buy one for sure now.

Kaydin
Mar 23, 2012, 02:58 PM
If you're wanting wireless, Microsoft makes a version of their wireless Xbox 360 controller with a USB transceiver (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332532557&sr=8-1) for use with Windows. It's the exact same controller.

If you prefer Playstation style controllers, Logitech makes a few (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers). I used to have an older version of the wireless model that I used for PSOBB and PSUPC, and didn't have problems with it. The biggest issue was it was battery powered. I had to keep extras on hand because Murphy's law would cause it do die in a boss fight.

Mag-X
Mar 23, 2012, 05:32 PM
Good luck finding a standard wired Xbox 360 controller. Not many stores seem to carry them anymore (except for really horrid off-brand versions).

I really like my Razer Onza controller. It's officially licensed, so Windows just sees it the same as a standard Xbox 360 controller. The A, B, X, and Y buttons click like a mouse, the D-pad doesn't suck balls, and the joysticks have adjustable tension. Razer is most known for making really high end PC gaming mice and keyboards.

Dinosaur
Mar 23, 2012, 06:06 PM
360 controller is great for this game. I only recommend playing Hunter on controller though. Force and Ranger are infinitely more effective when played on Keyboard+Mouse.

Recon Tactical
Mar 23, 2012, 10:47 PM
I used the xbox 360 wired controller with a chat pad. Worked like a dream.

Though you have to get unlicensed drivers for that chat pad to work.

Err, why use a chatpad when you have a perfectly good, superior, keyboard? O_o

MelancholyWitch
Mar 23, 2012, 11:36 PM
If you're wanting wireless, Microsoft makes a version of their wireless Xbox 360 controller with a USB transceiver (http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Xbox-Wireless-Controller-Windows/dp/B004QRKWKQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1332532557&sr=8-1) for use with Windows. It's the exact same controller.

If you prefer Playstation style controllers, Logitech makes a few (http://www.logitech.com/en-us/gaming/controllers). I used to have an older version of the wireless model that I used for PSOBB and PSUPC, and didn't have problems with it. The biggest issue was it was battery powered. I had to keep extras on hand because Murphy's law would cause it do die in a boss fight.

is this (http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Black-Play-Charge-Kit/dp/B000OYMYZQ/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b) what you were talking about? I thought that the play charge kit didn't work with the computer, those Logitech ones look nice has anyone actually used one of those but wired? I would just go with the wired one think I'm going to get that one for it.

Kaydin
Mar 23, 2012, 11:46 PM
is this (http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Black-Play-Charge-Kit/dp/B000OYMYZQ/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b) what you were talking about? I thought that the play charge kit didn't work with the computer, those Logitech ones look nice has anyone actually used one of those but wired? I would just go with the wired one think I'm going to get that one for it.

The play charge kit doesn't work with a PC. The link I put in is the controller and the USB receiver together.

MelancholyWitch
Mar 24, 2012, 12:09 AM
ahh I see so you use the USB receiver and have the wireless controller to the PC? IDK if I'd want to use wireless for it so I might just go for the Logitech. Thanks for the info!

Cayenne
Mar 24, 2012, 09:53 AM
Right now the only confirmed controller working for most PSO2 players is the 360 but SEGA is addressing this. I'm not sure if other controllers will be fixed/setup 100% when Beta hits so if you want a safe bet, get the 360 wired.

That's what I might buy since my PS3 controller failed to work 100% during Alpha 2.

youcantcatchtheblue
Mar 24, 2012, 10:16 AM
I think it's also notable to say that when SEGA demoed the game at Tokyo Game Show they were using Logitech game pads. Of course there are a lot of different kinds of Logitech gamepads and I didn't pay attention to which specific models were used, but yeah...

I still say Xbox 360 controller because it's so versatile.

Dark Emerald EXE
Mar 24, 2012, 10:29 AM

This is what I'll probably be going for as I see alot of these at bestbuy. I'd assume it wouldnt make a difference.

Good luck finding a standard wired Xbox 360 controller. Not many stores seem to carry them anymore (except for really horrid off-brand versions).

Once every blue moon I'll see the wired ones at walmart. (the microsoft one)

If he plays games on his laptop/pc on bigger screen....say a TV...the chatpad would be convenient unless he has a keyboard as long as the controller lol

moorebounce
Mar 24, 2012, 10:34 AM

W/ the chatpad you don't have to sit in front of your keyboard. Plus it's altogether in one piece too and you just thumb your number keys.