PDA

View Full Version : Anyone pick up Kid Icarus Uprising yet?

DayDreamer
Mar 24, 2012, 11:11 AM
^Title

What are your thoughts on the game so far?
I'm obsessed with it xD

Rashiid
Mar 24, 2012, 11:20 AM
I've heard it was really good, just the controls take some getting used to. (somewhat painful...so I've heard.)

Randomness
Mar 24, 2012, 11:39 AM
I've heard it was really good, just the controls take some getting used to. (somewhat painful...so I've heard.)

Basically the same controls as MP:H.

DayDreamer
Mar 24, 2012, 03:49 PM
Yeah you get use to it, nothing to annoying.
Trust me you've probably played worse xD

I've been playing for hours now with the 3D at max...yet my eyes aren't killing me for some reason o.e

Ark22
Mar 24, 2012, 10:04 PM
It's pretty fun. Bow is pretty beast.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Mar 24, 2012, 11:13 PM
I got it, the air battles are great but the ground battles are horrific (and yes painful) so I won't be playing it for long. The stylus controls are really bad, you don't just turn the screen, you have to flick it or move really slowly, and for some reason you can't aim with the Analog pad (but you can with the D-Pad or the face buttons) not to mention the enemies are mostly poorly designed and even if they weren't the control scheme makes it basically impossible to strategize more than just dodging occasionally. I must say I'm dissapointed

Kent
Mar 24, 2012, 11:41 PM
I'm looking forward to getting this... at some point. Probably after the inevitable 3DS redesign that we'll see probably later this year (or early next year).

Sakurai knows what he's doing when it comes to pragmatic game design (the vast improvement in Brawl over Melee is a testament to this), and he has had some very interesting things to say in Iwata Asks. I've been interested in the game since it was announced, but I've yet to get a 3DS.

AdmiralPit
Mar 25, 2012, 02:19 AM
I did, and it's very good. I do admit the controls do take some getting used to, but once you get the hang of it, things get better. The music is simply a beauty as well.

darkante
Mar 25, 2012, 08:16 AM
Still waiting for my preorder package, some screw up with the post as usual.
Why am i not surprised..

Next time, i just go to the closest shop because delivery service is shit around here nowdays.

Itīs like hey, my friend got it on time. But no screw me. Grr

Zarode
Mar 25, 2012, 10:58 AM
I'm looking forward to getting this... at some point. Probably after the inevitable 3DS redesign that we'll see probably later this year (or early next year).

Sakurai knows what he's doing when it comes to pragmatic game design (the vast improvement in Brawl over Melee is a testament to this), and he has had some very interesting things to say in Iwata Asks. I've been interested in the game since it was announced, but I've yet to get a 3DS.

KI:U does not use the CCP like everyone thinks it does. It transfers control of the circle pad, doesn't give dual stick. Also, Brawl was two steps forward and a bunch of falling on his ass backwards. Guddamn casuals.

People are babies and forget to go to the options and set their sensitivity on both the movement controls and stylus controls.

Sure, the controls take a while to get used to, but I find them pretty good once you get used to them. I'm also using that heavy-ass Nyko big battery, so I really don't want to have someone quote and bitch at me.

And yes, I am mad at video games. Mad that this game probably won't sell that well due to people getting hand cramps or something and whining to their friends. Use your pinkies to help support the damn system. Or lay on a bed or something. Too damn good of a game to be brought down by a bunch of sissies.

DayDreamer
Mar 25, 2012, 12:56 PM
I got it, the air battles are great but the ground battles are horrific (and yes painful) so I won't be playing it for long. The stylus controls are really bad, you don't just turn the screen, you have to flick it or move really slowly, and for some reason you can't aim with the Analog pad (but you can with the D-Pad or the face buttons) not to mention the enemies are mostly poorly designed and even if they weren't the control scheme makes it basically impossible to strategize more than just dodging occasionally. I must say I'm dissapointed

Well its not that bad once you get use to it :3
And for what ever strange reason, if it STILL feels weird the game is compatible with the Circle Pad Pro

Aka This
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news-700/Nintendo-3DS-Circle-Pad-Pro-Add-on-Gets-U-S-Release-Date-and-Price.jpg

Kent
Mar 25, 2012, 07:53 PM
KI:U does not use the CCP like everyone thinks it does. It transfers control of the circle pad, doesn't give dual stick.
Er... Yeah, I never said anything about the circle pad pro. I've actually been looking forward to it while knowing fully that it's going to be a game with heavy stylus usage (after all, it was designed around this). I fully believe in the idea of using controls and a stylus in conjunction based on my experience with games like TWEWY, and this game appears to do things quite well in that regard.

That, and by all accounts, it's Sin & Punishment + Virtual-On (minus the locking-on stuff) with a dash of Diablo on top. That just sounds amazing.

The waiting for the redesign bit has less to do with added dual analog (assuming that happens), and more to do with the fact that I really think they should do something about the system's actual flaws (like battery life - I'm really wary of dealing with short battery life on a portable system, just due to having dealt with a PSP's horrendous battery life, inb4 trolls telling me to turn down the brightness etc.) before I'm convinced to buy one.

Of course, I wouldn't turn down a free one if anyone's feeling generous. My birthday is coming up soon, too. :D

Also, Brawl was two steps forward and a bunch of falling on his ass backwards. Guddamn casuals.

I disagree. Everything changed in Brawl over Melee was a positive change except maybe tripping (it really should be able to be turned off - like through the item menu). Melee was ultimately a game where tourney-types decided that the only way to play competitively is to abuse an exploit in the physics system to remove the downsides to moving normally, while sapping all fun and variety out of the game by making it only viable to play a handful of top-tier characters that can exploit this system the most. The changes made to the game have nothing to do with casuals, and everything to do with making a better, more solid and more rounded-out game, so I welcome them with open arms.

But, you know, you're entitled to your opinion, however wrong it may be.

And yes, I am mad at video games. Mad that this game probably won't sell that well due to people getting hand cramps or something and whining to their friends. Use your pinkies to help support the damn system. Or lay on a bed or something. Too damn good of a game to be brought down by a bunch of sissies.
I have large, manly hands and over 200 hours logged on TWEWY - and that's a game that requires a lot of both stylus work and D-pad work (or face button work, if you're using the stylus left-handed), as well as use of the shoulder buttons. I don't think I'd really have much of a problem with this game and playing it.

NoiseHERO
Mar 25, 2012, 08:58 PM
Well its not that bad once you get use to it :3
And for what ever strange reason, if it STILL feels weird the game is compatible with the Circle Pad Pro

Aka This
http://i1-news.softpedia-static.com/images/news-700/Nintendo-3DS-Circle-Pad-Pro-Add-on-Gets-U-S-Release-Date-and-Price.jpg

I'm sorry, but that just looks fuckin' ridiculous. D:

Get on dat 3DS Lite.

Kyrith_Ranger_Pso
Mar 25, 2012, 09:22 PM
the only problem with the 3DS lite is going to be somehow getting the extra 2 shoulder buttons the circle pad pro adds, i don't know how they're going to do it without a really clunky system

Kent
Mar 25, 2012, 11:08 PM
I would imagine they would just do it in a way similar the Wii Classic Controller - have the two normal shoulder buttons, and then the two buttons inward farther that are the secondary ones.

Of course, if they had to make the system slightly thicker to accomodate for two distinct shoulder buttons on each side... Well, then they'd just have more physical space to put in a better battery.

DayDreamer
Mar 26, 2012, 06:13 AM
I'm sorry, but that just looks fuckin' ridiculous. D:

Get on dat 3DS Lite.

Ikr BD
It looks like a giant boat.
It doesn't even controll the camera as far as im aware.
On the back of the box it says its used for alternate left-handed controls xD

Anyway, to get a tad bit more on topic~
Just beat Kid Icarus Last night :3
If anyone wants to have a few matches with me online, pm me your friend code :3

Akaimizu
Mar 26, 2012, 09:48 AM
Once I got used to the ground controls, the game played fine. This was one of my most anticipated 3DS titles since it was announced at launch. It didn't disappoint. There's so much *game* in here. Love how the weapons drop with all sorts of random attributes just like Diablo. So much to collect and mix and match. The weapon fuse is almost identical to some Shin Megami games, including being able to see what possible attribute(s) will carry over to the new weapon.

Otherwise, it plays, sounds, and looks beautifully. Considering the style for which half the experience is an on-rails shooter, the game clearly enters far into the Loot category of gaming. The intensity meter mechanics and the changes that occur in the levels due to them is hardly short of genius. Definitely fun to crank that up a bit to see new patterns come at you, and even bosses alter their very form and attacks due to it.

The game is deceptively large, like the TARDIS. You think it's this length, but it's larger inside.

Linka
Mar 26, 2012, 11:43 AM
if you have probs with stylus-style aiming in land battles, i have some tips.

first, set your controls for the face buttons to handle aiming. i know, you'll think 'but stylus is better for air.' yeah, i know. it really is. BUT! here's the thing. EVEN WHEN THE CONTROLS ARE SET, so that the face buttons act as aim control, you can swap to stylus aim on the fly, and back if need be.

so at this point, its like this with each run of a chapter:

1: air battle, stylus control.
2: load screen in battle type transition, put away stylus.
3: land battle, use face buttons to aim.

btw, helps if you set the power selection settings so right-cycling is up on d-pad, left-cycling on left or right on d-pad, and use power is R button. trust me it streamlines the controls abit.

btw, this is the control setup i use, and i can do chapter 1 on 7.5 intensity. maybe 8.0 as well but i want a better weapon first. meteor bow i have now is good, but...not strong enough for anything more than 7.5 really.

DayDreamer
Mar 26, 2012, 12:36 PM
if you have probs with stylus-style aiming in land battles, i have some tips.

first, set your controls for the face buttons to handle aiming. i know, you'll think 'but stylus is better for air.' yeah, i know. it really is. BUT! here's the thing. EVEN WHEN THE CONTROLS ARE SET, so that the face buttons act as aim control, you can swap to stylus aim on the fly, and back if need be.

so at this point, its like this with each run of a chapter:

1: air battle, stylus control.
2: load screen in battle type transition, put away stylus.
3: land battle, use face buttons to aim.

btw, helps if you set the power selection settings so right-cycling is up on d-pad, left-cycling on left or right on d-pad, and use power is R button. trust me it streamlines the controls abit.

btw, this is the control setup i use, and i can do chapter 1 on 7.5 intensity. maybe 8.0 as well but i want a better weapon first. meteor bow i have now is good, but...not strong enough for anything more than 7.5 really. The 3DS stand that came with the game helped a lot as well. Much easier to play when your not dealing with the weight of the 3ds

Randomness
Mar 26, 2012, 04:24 PM
Just cleared chapter 1 on max intensity.

Holy shit the boss nearly wiped me out though. Need to work on my timing - I couldn't dodge it to save my life... though I rarely get hit on 5...

Weapon used: Phosphora Bow, 4* ranged, 3* melee, a couple nice abilities. Mainly, that it's innate homing is better than aimbots. In testing it, you have to get the enemy nearly offscreen before a side-charge attack won't turn and hit it.

Also, I put together a skyscraper club last night with 6 stars in ranged. I went online intending to goof off... then I hit someone with the forward charge. They died. Instantly. I proceeded to roflstomp a FFA round after that by just wildly lobbing (invisible) giant spheres of death into the fray. One hit kills are so stupid. (Okay, it takes like 6-7 seconds to charge, has mediocre melee output, etc. It's a one trick pony, but it's a blast to use. Watching the enemy angel drop 5/6 HP in one hit... I can only imagine the look on their face!)

Currently, need to fuse some better weapons still. My current bow is great, but enemies on high intensity still take multiple charge shots to down anything above the most basic grunts.

Linka
Mar 26, 2012, 05:13 PM
Just cleared chapter 1 on max intensity.

Holy shit the boss nearly wiped me out though. Need to work on my timing - I couldn't dodge it to save my life... though I rarely get hit on 5...

Weapon used: Phosphora Bow, 4* ranged, 3* melee, a couple nice abilities. Mainly, that it's innate homing is better than aimbots. In testing it, you have to get the enemy nearly offscreen before a side-charge attack won't turn and hit it.

Also, I put together a skyscraper club last night with 6 stars in ranged. I went online intending to goof off... then I hit someone with the forward charge. They died. Instantly. I proceeded to roflstomp a FFA round after that by just wildly lobbing (invisible) giant spheres of death into the fray. One hit kills are so stupid. (Okay, it takes like 6-7 seconds to charge, has mediocre melee output, etc. It's a one trick pony, but it's a blast to use. Watching the enemy angel drop 5/6 HP in one hit... I can only imagine the look on their face!)

Currently, need to fuse some better weapons still. My current bow is great, but enemies on high intensity still take multiple charge shots to down anything above the most basic grunts.

yeah i heard clubs are OP for sneak attacks in FFA matches. and, oddly my bow's about as strong as yours, but i would rather have a better one before even trying 8.0 intensity. might be because I. HAVE YET. TO HAVE A SINGLE DEATH SO FAR. and i'd like to keep it that way as long as possible.

i can run 7 and 7.5 fine, with some issues, but id rather avoid 8 until i get a better weapon. Meteor Bow has a nice shot range, btw. but i hope my next good balanced weapon is a staff, so i can give it a try.

DayDreamer
Mar 26, 2012, 05:17 PM
My divine bow 6 star range made short work of twinbellows, along with mega laser of course. Stay as far away as possible and rain hell on him. The power called Tirelessness helps a bunch if your having trouble getting around. I tried boss rush mode, managed to kill 22 bosses before dying xD Btw does the galactic pirate ship theme remind anyone else of Kirby or is it just me..

Ark22
Mar 26, 2012, 06:24 PM
I haven't played kid icarus in a day lol. I need to stop neglected him for Armored Core 5

DayDreamer
Mar 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
Does anyone know what the point of the "Offering" is?
Its in the vault, you give your hearts to Lady Palutena and she gradually comes closer to the screen..

Randomness
Mar 28, 2012, 01:45 PM
Does anyone know what the point of the "Offering" is?
Its in the vault, you give your hearts to Lady Palutena and she gradually comes closer to the screen..

Oh, it's supposed to be Palutena there?

As far as I know, there are no confirmed effects from offering, just as the game says... (But then, who knows?)

I just got Black Hole 3 from some treasure hunt objective. It's only usable in multiplayer, and it's fun. It does just what you think it does, which is great for lining up MASSIVE DAMAGE with clubs. I love to open it in the middle of a fight and then throw a giant ball of death into the ensuing helpless crowd (it does a tiny amount of damage each second, staggering people a bit) for double and triple kills. It's so unfair... or would be if there weren't plenty of ways to escape it (Including the god-tier escape skill, Warp, which moves you to a random location on the map and can be used even when you're getting hit by something)

As an aside, I can't believe Best Buy had this on sale on the day of release at $30. It's an excellent game overall, the ONLY thing you can really criticize is the controls, and that's heavily a matter of preference even then.

DayDreamer
Mar 28, 2012, 01:55 PM
Oh, it's supposed to be Palutena there?

As far as I know, there are no confirmed effects from offering, just as the game says... (But then, who knows?)

I just got Black Hole 3 from some treasure hunt objective. It's only usable in multiplayer, and it's fun. It does just what you think it does, which is great for lining up MASSIVE DAMAGE with clubs. I love to open it in the middle of a fight and then throw a giant ball of death into the ensuing helpless crowd (it does a tiny amount of damage each second, staggering people a bit) for double and triple kills. It's so unfair... or would be if there weren't plenty of ways to escape it (Including the god-tier escape skill, Warp, which moves you to a random location on the map and can be used even when you're getting hit by something)

As an aside, I can't believe Best Buy had this on sale on the day of release at $30. It's an excellent game overall, the ONLY thing you can really criticize is the controls, and that's heavily a matter of preference even then.

Ohhh thats what that was :O
I was playing Free for all and I turn around to shoot this one guy running away and all of a sudden this giant black sphere just destroys me xD

I still won though BD (6 kills 1 death :D)

And yea I read what the message said but..whats the point of it if all it does is well..basically nothing