PDA

View Full Version : iOS and Androids. What do you think?

Ark22
Mar 26, 2012, 12:48 AM
So the game will be F2P which is awesome and bad at the same time. But what made this more weird is it was announced for the iOS and android. Please share your thoughts.

And just to actually show info I taken the liberty to copy and paste aozora's work which can be found here

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193739.

Please pay the respect of the information to him and not me, I am only using it just to show the people that come here the information if they avoid it.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201203/26012089.html

Seems like PSO2 will be released as an app/game for iOS and Android.
Main features being chatting with friends and inventory. But will also be including a singleplayer game mode.

Also mentions about game client and monthly payment (for all three versions) being free to download and free to play. Add-ons will be the only thing you pay for.

「 そこで、『PSO2』のサービス形態については、PC版/PS Vita版/スマートフォン版、すべてのゲームソフトを無料ダウンロード方式で提供します。そして、い ずれ のプラットフォームでも基本プレイ料金は無料とし、一部有料アイテムを購入していただくサービ ス形態としま す。」

And lastly, starting April 5th they will be releasing the character creation demo which will also include a benchmark program and the characters created can be imported straight to cβ

No but seriously, go and thank aozora for the giant information above at his thread.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193739

I did not find it aozora did, the only post that is mine is the VERY beginning sentence.

•Col•
Mar 26, 2012, 12:49 AM
Is this topic even necessary....?

The full game isn't even available for the smart phones...

NoiseHERO
Mar 26, 2012, 12:53 AM
Is this topic even necessary....?

The full game isn't even available for the smart phones...

This.

It's just a smaller soloplay version of the game, with a couple community aspects.

So yeah it's not that serious. So if there's 40 pages drama on this... e_e

/start slapping people.

Ark22
Mar 26, 2012, 12:57 AM
I forgot to add the F2P part in the title. But they say you can exchange your character data from PC to these 2 "smaller" versions. What I want to know is how will it effect leveling up.

And I believe it's necessary to talk about it now then get it out of the way. Plus people will always troll no mater what. Rather see me post it than 17 other random people double post...which may happen anyways...But hey, we can pray.

•Col•
Mar 26, 2012, 01:02 AM
I forgot to add the F2P part in the title. But they say you can exchange your character data from PC to these 2 "smaller" versions. What I want to know is how will it effect leveling up.

And I believe it's necessary to talk about it now then get it out of the way. Plus people will always troll no mater what. Rather see me post it than 17 other random people double post...which may happen anyways...But hey, we can pray.

Dude, you don't even "play" the game.

Apparently it's just for sending/receiving mail, buying/selling things from player shops and that kind of jazz...

NoiseHERO
Mar 26, 2012, 01:06 AM
No no..

It has some.. kind of, mini game play stuff.

Just not as big as the main games, notice the character fighting a rock bear. But its solo only.

Ark22
Mar 26, 2012, 01:08 AM
I heard it will have mini-type games in it. But hey nice to know I can be in class and answer mail from the game sweet. Ok now to the F2P, what the heck is going on with that? Is it, PLAY and only PAY for add-ons?

See that's what I meant by, leveling up characteristics. They say you can transfer your character sooo...you know..just curious on how that plays out.

•Col•
Mar 26, 2012, 01:09 AM
I heard it will have mini-type games in it. But hey nice to know I can be in class and answer mail from the game sweet. Ok now to the F2P, what the heck is going on with that? Is it, PLAY and only PAY for add-ons?

See that's what I meant by, leveling up characteristics. They say you can transfer your character sooo...you know..just curious on how that plays out.

Just read the other thread... It has every last bit of info we got from the media briefing......

Ark22
Mar 26, 2012, 01:14 AM
Nifty, but you guys are missing the point, I ask for your opinions on the fact of it. Do you think Sega will benefit?
ALot of people on other boards are saying this is a real bad move, since the whole F2P could really bring a lot of FREE PLAY players in and ruin the game.

Mag-X
Mar 26, 2012, 01:16 AM
No Windows Phone version. Super lame sauce.

Ark22
Mar 26, 2012, 01:18 AM
That is pretty weird, but since I usually see the high-powered Android and the obvious Apple it makes sense.

Crystal_Shard
Mar 26, 2012, 02:07 AM
This is indeed what I've hoped for. I've got one big gaming rig set up purely for gaming, but the risk of GameGuard on my laptop makes me reluctant to install PSO2 for playing on the go. Having it on a tablet with enough power suits me fine, because tablets are inherently less open than their PC counterparts and cheaper to boot.

However, while I can understand not having the full experience on a smartphone, I think it'll be a shame if more powerful tablets do not get a more capable dedicated version. Hoping that we can at least play unique solo missions that tie into the main PC version at least, or better, a HD version that is on par with the PC one.

r00tabaga
Mar 26, 2012, 06:40 AM
Thought there'd be something new here. Moving on.

Kent
Mar 26, 2012, 12:44 PM
No Windows Phone version. Super lame sauce.
Not one yet, anyway.

It is unfortunate for the time being, at least, even if the controls on a touchscreen-only device will probably be utter crap. It's kind of ironic, in a way - what is realistically the best and most useful smartphone OS gets ignored all too often.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 26, 2012, 01:30 PM
It is unfortunate for the time being, at least, even if the controls on a touchscreen-only device will probably be utter crap. It's kind of ironic, in a way - what is realistically the best and most useful smartphone OS gets ignored all too often.
It just has too small a share of the market and too little exposure, unfortunately. We definitely need to spam any suggestion box they implement for the closed beta to have the app ported to Windows Phone.

Ark22
Mar 26, 2012, 04:58 PM
*In class, phone goes off* *looks* PSO2 guy: HEY GET ON WHEN YOU GET HOME.

Me: *puts on shades* YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH

pikachief
Mar 26, 2012, 05:11 PM
I've been like "I wish there was phantasy star on my iphone... even a simple lame version to mess with here and there when im bored somewhere for a minute or two..."

and here it is!!!

Dragwind
Mar 27, 2012, 05:48 PM
I've been like "I wish there was phantasy star on my iphone... even a simple lame version to mess with here and there when im bored somewhere for a minute or two..."

and here it is!!!

I've often thought about the same thing. Even a mag/character raising app would suffice.

moorebounce
Mar 27, 2012, 09:17 PM
I've often thought about the same thing. Even a mag/character raising app would suffice.

I mentioned earlier today that being able to raise your mags on your smartphone would rule. Plus being able to trade your items would be nice too.

MUDGRIP
Mar 28, 2012, 07:27 AM
Im a windows phone owner and I absolutley hate it. Im not a tech man but unless they have come out with newer versions of it the only videos I can view with are from youtube as the operating system does not have flash player i guess :/.
I guess my point being is that I really dont think the windows phone is a powerful piece of hardware for sonic team to try to work around for this game personally.

Mag-X
Mar 28, 2012, 08:04 AM
Im a windows phone owner and I absolutley hate it. Im not a tech man but unless they have come out with newer versions of it the only videos I can view with are from youtube as the operating system does not have flash player i guess :/.
I guess my point being is that I really dont think the windows phone is a powerful piece of hardware for sonic team to try to work around for this game personally.

Processing power doesn't have anything to do with it. The iPhone doesn't support Flash either, and never has. Only some Android phones do, but Adobe is no longer developing Flash for phones. Blame the website creators for not using HTML5 video.

Flash is crap anyway. It just takes too much processing power to work well on phones. Seriously, want to make your laptop run cooler and significantly increase the battery life? Disable stupid Flash. It will make your computer much safer as well since it's a galactic gaping security hole.

Macman
Mar 28, 2012, 08:06 AM
I got a Galaxy S II last summer, with the smartphone version being announced, I think this game's gonna be a HUGE distraction no matter where I go now...

Ark22
Mar 28, 2012, 08:08 AM
Playing PSO2 and driving, the new PROBLEM for the world. Mainly in Japan but it will be walking and playing.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
As Mag-x said, iOS does not allow flash and generally you don't use it on Android even if you technically can because it'll drain your battery like nothing else. Flash is being superseded by HTML5 anyways (thank god).

The only negative Windows Phone really has is that I've heard porting apps from iOS and/or Android to WP requires a lot more work than porting between iOS and Android due to Microsoft not supporting C# (or was it C++?) or somesuch.

Mag-X
Mar 28, 2012, 03:22 PM
C# was the original language Windows Phone supported. C# and VB.NET are Microsoft's languages. I believe C++ support is coming in Windows Phone 8.

Kent
Mar 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
As Mag-x said, iOS does not allow flash and generally you don't use it on Android even if you technically can because it'll drain your battery like nothing else. Flash is being superseded by HTML5 anyways (thank god).

The only negative Windows Phone really has is that I've heard porting apps from iOS and/or Android to WP requires a lot more work than porting between iOS and Android due to Microsoft not supporting C# (or was it C++?) or somesuch.
Microsoft doesn't want developers to always have native access to the hardware for a few reasons (mostly security stuff), which has resulted in some games having sub-optimal performance under certain circumstances.

It's actually pretty easy to port games over to Windows Phones. I love working in C#, but C++ is what is used on almost literally everything other than smartphones. From an organizational standpoint, it's very easy to dive into a big C++ project and have it feel like it's just a clusterfuck of a mess, in comparison to a C# project of the same size.

Of course, I'm a real stickler for organizing code properly.

But back to native code, this has brought up a few issues with some middleware development companies, such as Unity and Epic, who basically want their engines to run natively, or they won't port them at all. Press Play has released a toolkit called FFWD to port Unity3D projects to Windows Phones (which, preliminary tech of them has already been used to make at least two Xbox Live releases on the platform - Max and the Magic Marker and Tentacles), and while Epic's standpoint on the platform is surprising, given their successful partnership with Microsoft in other areas, a little birdy told me that there may be a version of Unreal Engine 3 in development for WP8. No further comments from me on that.

Also: I hate Flash. It needs to be abolished from the internet immediately.

Mitz
Mar 28, 2012, 06:46 PM
Seems to be a lot of Windows hate here. Windows Phone sucked but I genuinely believe Windows 8 tablets/phones will fare a lot better.

Yay for Html5 though.

Rizen
Mar 28, 2012, 07:45 PM
Hmm...at first I was against it...now I'm a bit more willing to give it a shot.

It would be nice when I am having some down time to whip out my phone to play some minigames to boost my character or mag (which ever it will effect) and still make progress in the game without feeling the need to be in front of a computer screen all day.

Mag-X
Mar 28, 2012, 07:54 PM
Seems to be a lot of Windows hate here. Windows Phone sucked but I genuinely believe Windows 8 tablets/phones will fare a lot better.

Yay for Html5 though.

Windows Mobile sucked. Windows Phone is actually really good if people would actually try it.

moorebounce
Mar 29, 2012, 12:51 AM
I don't need to play PSO2 on my phone because I'm not a handheld fan at all. I do however would like to feed mags and maybe trade items and chat with teammates.

DerpiestShazbot
Mar 29, 2012, 02:15 AM
I don't know about you guys but having PSO on a portable device has always been some weird kind of fantasy (lol or phantasy) of mine ever since I started playing PSO on the Gamecube at the age of 9.
Phantasy Star Portable and Phantasy Star Zero were good games on their own merits but they didn't quite do it justice. I think I really just didn't like those because the online modes in those games were severely lacking which is understandable for portable titles I suppose.

Anyway, all this sudden news of PSO's sequel not only getting a Vita version but a smartphone version as well has filled me up with an overwhelming amount of joy and hope as a gamer. I recently got an iTouch for Christmas and began imagining how awesome it would be to have classic PSO on it and I got a 3G PS Vita earlier this month which is another purchase I don't regret because I know I'll be able to play PSO2 over a 3G connection which is great for road trips.

Back on topic, I think putting that extra effort into getting a mobile version of PSO2 developed for iOS and Android was a very smart and innovative move on Sega's part. True, the mobile version isn't essentially the full or ideal version of PSO2 but I think the fact that it can be carried around with you where ever you are makes up for it's shortcomings. Things like this will only increase the time players invest in their character and will end up keeping them hooked longer before they dismiss the game and move onto something else.

Looking back at the original PSO (which was the first online console game) it seems like Sega is trying to push boundaries and innovate online gaming again with things like this that have never been done before.
I'm excited as hell.

Kent
Mar 30, 2012, 12:06 AM

Yay for Html5 though.
You seem confused:

Windows Mobile was terrible - I think everyone will readily agree on that.

Windows Phone is a completely different product and OS though - and is currently one of the three consumer-oriented smartphone platforms out in the market. I've yet to meet anyone that, after spending time actually giving it a shot, thinks it's anything close to being bad.

r00tabaga
Mar 30, 2012, 12:09 AM
I love my Windows phone (live tiles, Mango, XBL, etc) & would luv to raise my mags with it. My iPod will do just fine also!

Mitz
Mar 30, 2012, 09:51 AM
You seem confused:

Windows Mobile was terrible - I think everyone will readily agree on that.

Windows Phone is a completely different product and OS though - and is currently one of the three consumer-oriented smartphone platforms out in the market. I've yet to meet anyone that, after spending time actually giving it a shot, thinks it's anything close to being bad.

Was indeed referring to mobile.