PDA

View Full Version : Will an iPad version of PSO2 propel the franchise to "must have" social status?

HappierWorlds
Mar 26, 2012, 11:51 AM
I can see PSO2 making the iOS platform viable for other MMORPGs.
I can see many thousands of casuals on iOS trying out PSO2. Maybe not for daily play, but an hour or two weekly.
I can see casuals on iOS interacting for the first time in an MMORPG environment with PC players.
I believe that the PC community will grow for PSO2 because of the Vita and iOS players.
I know SEGA will atleast break even, and perhaps (GASP!!!!) make a profit from the iOS side PSO2.

What do you all think of this?

•Col•
Mar 26, 2012, 11:59 AM
It's only minigame stuff really... People who play PSO2 on the PC/Vita that have smart phones will probably use the app. I don't really see it attracting that many people to the actual game though...

Vashyron
Mar 26, 2012, 12:00 PM
The Smartphone version is Single Player only, it's also seems to be a bit different from the PC / Vita version.

Dragwind
Mar 26, 2012, 12:50 PM
Being a somewhat avid player of many iOS games on a daily basis (mainly strategy/mmo), and mingling with the communities a bit, I'm sure the iOS/Android version will definitely spark an interest and become a gateway to the other versions. Despite this being a seemingly "single player" experience, I still think a whole lot of people will try and talk about it.

Clunker
Mar 26, 2012, 01:23 PM
Stupid question - iPhone games automatically work on iPads? I've yet to get a iPad, but I was seriously pondering the current Ipad3...

kyuuketsuki
Mar 26, 2012, 01:28 PM
The smartphone app != the actual game. So, th answer to your question is no, since PSO2 on the iPad will not exist as such.

Edit: Also, controls on a tablet/smartphone = lol.

Clunker
Mar 26, 2012, 01:37 PM
Right, the the iPhone app not the same as the full game, understood that part.

Sorry for the poor phrasing on my part - let me rephrase.

Should any "iPhone App" function just as well on a iPad?
Wouldn't that mean this "PSO2 App" would work on an iPad as well?

Even if this app is a 'limited version of PSO2', the Ipad3's new screen could make things interesting.

lostinseganet
Mar 26, 2012, 01:46 PM
Steam is the best place for pso 2 to go.

Macman
Mar 26, 2012, 01:50 PM
Steam is the best place for pso 2 to go.

We can only hope...

kyuuketsuki
Mar 26, 2012, 02:30 PM
Should any "iPhone App" function just as well on a iPad?
Wouldn't that mean this "PSO2 App" would work on an iPad as well?

Even if this app is a 'limited version of PSO2', the Ipad3's new screen could make things interesting.
I don't know about games for certain, but I know that iPhone apps will generally work on the iPad. They're limited to the resolution of the iPhone, though, meaning you get a small iPhone-sized rectangle in the middle of the iPad screen. You can hit a 2X button to have it scaled up, but that results in some extreme blockiness, of course, and it still doesn't properly fit the iPad screen.

So even if it does work on the iPad, you definitely won't be getting anything out of the new iPad's high-res screen. Unless they actually release an iPad version that runs in that resolution.

NoiseHERO
Mar 26, 2012, 03:49 PM
Way I see it, just it having an app would be good advertising, for all of those iOS fiends that just play minigames on that all day.

But if you have to have an account with the original game first... maybe it'd turn some people off.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 26, 2012, 03:59 PM
But if you have to have an account with the original game first... maybe it'd turn some people off.
You'll likely have to log in with a SEGA ID even if you aren't sharing character data with the PC/Vita versions. That's just an assumption, though. 'Course, if they aren't planning on possibly moving to the PC/Vita versions, I don't see how roping them in helps the PSO2 community anyway.

Merumeru
Mar 26, 2012, 04:29 PM
XP I just see it as good advertising; if people like what they get there, they will definitely not have a problem with downloading a free PC game to give the online version a try

JC10001
Mar 26, 2012, 04:35 PM
I don't know about 'must have' status but it is definitely going to do a lot to increase awareness about the series.

Sega is making all the right moves with the Phantasy Star franchise lately. I guess that means the Mayans were right...the end is nigh.

Xenobia
Mar 29, 2012, 03:44 PM
Its not a secret that super portable systems such as Ipad nowadays got increased popularity. But the main focus of such systems isnt to be a viable game plattform, its for the everyday daily task. In order to be a suitable gaming plattform it does lack a lot of rocket punch. PSO will be known by much more users by releasing it at every single system on the planet, but ultimately its uncertain if it will be able to reflect the game in the best way possible as long as there is any kind of lack.

Finally, its nice that people see so much of possibilitys to the PSO franchise (smartphones, handhelds, Ipad and what else), but finally, either we want a game or a gimmick. Currently the super portable devices will only handle it with lot of shrink down. Technically we could be so much further than that and as a pretty scientific person and a high end lover, i rather stay away from depleted possibilitys just in order to suit a everyday-user and most likely not even real gamers.

What i dont fully get is why a Ipad would increase the "social status" of a game. Toward the journal-readers it might be increasing it. The question only is what kind of users we want to attract. The core gamers will probably run away in fear while the people barely able to play may feel attracted when they see stuff like that on super portable systems. But as long as the PC version will stay untouched (and unaffected) the core gamers might just smile and ignore those secondary attempts. As long as it helps to increase user base. However, more helpful than anything is to make some significant changes on the matters toward a more user friendly shape, but im not sure Sega will even notice that issue.

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 04:39 PM
You'll likely have to log in with a SEGA ID even if you aren't sharing character data with the PC/Vita versions. That's just an assumption, though. 'Course, if they aren't planning on possibly moving to the PC/Vita versions, I don't see how roping them in helps the PSO2 community anyway.

Apparently it has character creation and solo missions, so my guess is that it wouldn't be hard to make an account through the app.

So yeah I say good advertising.. I hope.

ClothoBuer
Mar 31, 2012, 07:24 AM
I'm a little curious to see how it'll play out on MobileOS, but I'm all for it. It'll give my iPad some more relevance in my "Tech I cannot exist without" list.

Rizen
Mar 31, 2012, 08:15 AM
I know! I got a great idea1! They should make it so that your Mags get experience by walking them! Both the Vita and Smartphones have accelerometers in them, so wouldn't it be fun to let your kid/little bro/sis hold on to your device and run around the house leveling your Mag while you kick back and enjoy your favorite show? :)

Also, make sure you leave the voice chat on so that when your team mates decide to talk, the little one will have someone to keep them company!1

Kion
Apr 1, 2012, 12:45 AM
I can see PSO2 making the iOS platform viable for other MMORPGs.

The iPad and recent Android tablets have processors that rival that of the vita. Processing power and space are not an issue, it's more that touch screens don't lend themselves to mmorpg style gaming. As of Android 4.0 google implemented usb controller support, but it's still pitifully easy to pirate android games. I don't see the platform becoming anything more than the casual niche it's made for itself anytime soon.

I can see many thousands of casuals on iOS trying out PSO2. Maybe not for daily play, but an hour or two weekly.
I can see casuals on iOS interacting for the first time in an MMORPG environment with PC players.

That depends on how it's implemented. The iOS version isn't the actual game, but the social aspect of the game allowing you to manage your shop and to mail with other players. Meaning you have to have the psp or vita version to have anything to do on the mobile version.

I believe that the PC community will grow for PSO2 because of the Vita and iOS players.
I know SEGA will atleast break even, and perhaps (GASP!!!!) make a profit from the iOS side PSO2.

I think you're kind of missing the point. The iOS, Vita and PC versions are all sides of the same coin. The PC version is the main game, the vita version uses the same servers and is for players who don't have a good pc or for when people want to play on the go. The smart phone version is an extension of being able to access your character information at anytime. The idea is that each platform uses the same information, and the same community just accessing it in different ways.

Akaimizu
Apr 1, 2012, 05:14 AM
Well, actually, the tablets DO lend themselves to MMO gaming. Just not so much on high action gaming. The MMOs that play well with mouse and keyboard translate extremely well to touch screens. Before people dismiss things like iPad for MMOs, they need to really try out Order and Chaos for it. There's absolutely no control issues in that game, even though I think they could improve the actual skill interface a little. Moving the character and performing combat is as easy as mouse and keyboard, and at times a little easier since just touching a part of the screen requires less dexterity than moving around a mouse to click on a part of the screen.

But PSO2 isn't your click fest MMO, one for which Order and Chaos (and games like WoW and the original Guild Wars) applied to. That is the main factor that would make the touch screen interface not as ideal. Still, I'm interested in those versions for the connectivity and what inventive *other gaming* they plan on using that is optimized for touch screens. So many good ideas could be used there. Ideas they've done before for which I'd rather they not go to waste.

NoiseHERO
Apr 1, 2012, 07:24 AM
From the sounds of things, this game's awareness sky-rocketed ever since it was announced to be free to play...

Kion
Apr 1, 2012, 09:48 AM
Well, actually, the tablets DO lend themselves to MMO gaming. Just not so much on high action gaming. The MMOs that play well with mouse and keyboard translate extremely well to touch screens. Before people dismiss things like iPad for MMOs, they need to really try out Order and Chaos for it. There's absolutely no control issues in that game, even though I think they could improve the actual skill interface a little. Moving the character and performing combat is as easy as mouse and keyboard, and at times a little easier since just touching a part of the screen requires less dexterity than moving around a mouse to click on a part of the screen.

Off topic: i think starcraft lends itself to a touch screen port.

The problem with most games i've seen for mobile is that they dont take advantage of the touch screen very much. There's angry bird style drag 'n shoot games, monkey ball style accelerometer games and everything beyond that seems to have an on screen controller (and i hate those with a passion; you're difficulty curve should't be based on how much your interface sucks). I'd really like to see more bluetooth controllers or a DS-style " Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass" set up with stylus+button input would be amazing.

Krank32oz
Apr 1, 2012, 02:45 PM
From the sounds of things, this game's awareness sky-rocketed ever since it was announced to be free to play...

Maybe i just cant find this but i know its free to play but your still going to have to pay for the game right? Or is it free to download as well? Because if it was free to download that would make it even more popular!

Vashyron
Apr 1, 2012, 02:58 PM
Free Download as well.

Akaimizu
Apr 1, 2012, 04:27 PM
Off topic: i think starcraft lends itself to a touch screen port.

The problem with most games i've seen for mobile is that they dont take advantage of the touch screen very much. There's angry bird style drag 'n shoot games, monkey ball style accelerometer games and everything beyond that seems to have an on screen controller (and i hate those with a passion; you're difficulty curve should't be based on how much your interface sucks). I'd really like to see more bluetooth controllers or a DS-style " Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass" set up with stylus+button input would be amazing.

There's actually a number of tower defense games that take advantage of Touch Screen controls. There is a Starcraft clone on the system that also works well with the touchscreen. There's also a number of original games suited specifically to touch screens.

There's even a full-on Heroes of Might and Magic clone called Palm Heroes, for it. No control issues there.

Oddly enough, Cave Shooters behave real well with touch screen controls. (No on-screen controls either, with exception of maybe a bomb or special button) They even come with some touch-specific methods to pull off certain specials. Oddly enough, I agree with you that the on-screen controller isn't a good method for a number of games. Games that still use that use an archaic touch-screen interface which has been greatly improved upon a good while ago. The *anywhere* joystick is the best touch-screen mechanic and certain games use it (including the MMO I talked about). It basically makes your initial touch contact with the screen (within an area) be the center of the joystick, and you literally move it around intuitively to control it. Take your thumb off and it's gone. Put it back, even if in a somewhat different place, you started the joystick again. Those games actually behave without the issues of having to deal with where your thumb is and usually control just as well as any other joystick. The difference in control is like night and day and you don't even have to think about where your thumb is, nor be forced to cover up any specific part of the screen. It just moves as you do.

Alas, a good number of games haven't adopted that control system and would be better for it. Still, obviously for certain genres, not as ideal.

Thing is, if you check the reviews and look for them, there's a good number of actual depth-laden gaming for the more hardcore gamers in that list. Just that (like the PC), the more casual games get the most press, due to the insanely large population of casual players. For every Angry Birds, there's a Galaxy on Fire 2 HD hidden behind them. For any Tiny Wings, there's a a game like Heroes of Might and Magic or Masters of Orion 2 which doesn't get casual attention. Alas, the main issue with looking at the *most popular* of many electronic stores out there is that the casuals tip the scales way in their favor.

Still, as for PSO2, I'd love for them to incorporate some simple mini games that would obviously be simple to work in a Touch-screen interface without much thought. Stuff kind of like the Mobi game Sega made for Browsers, or maybe even something akin to PSO Episode 3.

Witchblade56
Apr 2, 2012, 03:21 AM
I see this Game possibly doing better in the west than the previous installments of the phantasy star genre. At least as far as the online mmo versions are concerned.

You have to think though that we are a niche group here in the west that love the phantasy star online franchise. Exposing this on as many different platforms as possible is bound to gain a larger audience.

Akaimizu
Apr 2, 2012, 11:22 AM
You are correct, in a way. The other way is that it's so much easier for them to advertise in the mobile market. It may make a big difference in SEGA's ability to *get the word out*.

It also works both ways. Comments and criticisms in the App Store seem to be a great way of getting word directly to the company and developers of the project. Most of the time, they seem to listen and consider them.