PDA

View Full Version : I would rather if PSO2 was buy to play with a minimal cash shop

kornkid212
Mar 26, 2012, 10:30 PM
Im not a fan of P2P, but im not much of a fan of Free to play either,

F2P is probably going to be much more lucrative for Sega, but it might make the game a bit worse then it could have been.

Simply because it will make cheating/botting/spamming attempts much easier, and also what could be of a cash shop that just sells hairstyles, clothing and virtual items for your virtual room, will now probably(hopefully i'll be wrong) sell weapons/mags too...

Which in the end destroys the main purpose of PSO, which is to hunt rares with your friends.

But lets hope that doesnt happen and that PSO2 will be as best as it can be!

What do you guys think?

pikachief
Mar 26, 2012, 10:42 PM
I'm pretty sure that PSO2 will have the same pricing/cash shop structure as JP PSU has. (Which is what I'm hoping for.)

Free to play, Free To Download. (They have premium version but that wont be an issue here)

JP PSU's cash shops had clothes, weapon upgrades (Percents, elements, grinds), and missions to find special, powerful (most of them) weapons. Now then what's the point of the good ol' Phantasy Star weapon hunting if you can just buy a good... everything?

While JP PSU had cash shops for all this nice stuff, all the best armors, units, and weapons were all item drops that you had to hunt. JP PSU did not let the cash shop ruin the hunting and sense of joy you got when finding a weapon you've been hunting for so long.

I'm pretty sure that this game will be towards the same direction as JP PSU probably got huge profits from their cash shop, and mostly out of the clothes.

If anything you should be more worried about a lack of non-cash shop clothes than anything else.

r00tabaga
Mar 26, 2012, 10:51 PM
^ ^ ^
This.
I think that something like costumes are more geared towards paid content anyways. Just look at how many people dish out RM for DLC alternate attire in MvC3 or any other game. Doesn't affect gameplay but still gives you a sense of value when you find that right outfit that just makes it more enjoyable.

Hentai_Kittie
Mar 26, 2012, 10:58 PM
I like p2p better. but i don't like paying for a game i'm unable to play for various reasons. I don't mind f2p. but certain games make it pay to win. Though, I've played more games that had decent cash shops then games that didn't.

both models have their downsides. It's not like p2p is going to be exempt from problems either. Example being that the community doesn't grow / shrinks on a faster scale disrupting the free market.

botting, cheating, spamming has plagued all online PS games..... this one will be no different. Nothing is wrong with the cash shop selling weapons / mags as long as it's not the most powerfulest weapons / mags in the game, now THAT'S the problem. Simple cosmetic weapon skins are fine too.

Theres no reason to be paranoid yet. Also, what does the PSU and PSPo2i cash shop sell? does anyone know?

NoiseHERO
Mar 27, 2012, 12:15 AM
Seriously D<

Don't make like 5 non cash outfits, and then like 23423423 cash outfits! D<

Keep all that event/promotional stuff only! D<

Or I'ma be annoyed! D<

Saotome Kaneda
Mar 27, 2012, 12:27 AM
Theres no reason to be paranoid yet. Also, what does the PSU and PSPo2i cash shop sell? does anyone know?
http://psupedia.info/Free_course#GUARDIANS_Cash The only really abusable things you can do in the PSU system is guarantee grinds and repair broken grinds on weapons IMHO. If all you care about is playing the game, PSU is not so hard that you need to pay for free grinds and the like.

While I can't find an English source for the PSPo2/2i DLC items, the JP PSPo2i wiki (http://wog.main.jp/psp2i-wiki/emilia/?%E3%83%80%E3%82%A6%E3%83%B3%E3%83%AD%E3%83%BC%E3% 83%89%E3%82%B3%E3%83%B3%E3%83%86%E3%83%B3%E3%83%84 ) has them listed here.
No direct DLC(that means not acquired via a DL/event quest) items other than clothing/parts are above B rank. There are a handful of items that are statistically slightly superior to some A rank items but their uses become extremely limited when you are above say, level 80.

In fact, for many of these items their only purpose for most is to use at low levels after a rebirth or to help twink a new char up. All of the C-rank weapons have Lv1 requirements, and all B-ranks have a Lv20 requirement. None of these are broken in any way even if you waste and Extend Code on them.

SELENNA
Mar 27, 2012, 11:05 AM
Im not a fan of P2P, but im not much of a fan of Free to play either,

F2P is probably going to be much more lucrative for Sega, but it might make the game a bit worse then it could have been.

Simply because it will make cheating/botting/spamming attempts much easier, and also what could be of a cash shop that just sells hairstyles, clothing and virtual items for your virtual room, will now probably(hopefully i'll be wrong) sell weapons/mags too...

Which in the end destroys the main purpose of PSO, which is to hunt rares with your friends.

But lets hope that doesnt happen and that PSO2 will be as best as it can be!

What do you guys think?

You have to understand you are in the minority. In fact forums such as these do NOT represent the majority of the game's customers. In my opinion this move HAD to be done, now PSO2 has a real big chance to shine. Monthly fees are a thing of the past, even popular games such as WOW are struggling with their archaic payment systems.

Krank32oz
Mar 27, 2012, 11:42 AM
Wow isnt struggling because of payment plans but because there are games out now that are just as good if not better. SWTOR still has the monthly payment plan like wow and blizzard said they were struggling b/c of the new games out or coming out. Personally I'm a fan of whatever Sega makes work for PSO2.

SilverFoxR
Mar 27, 2012, 06:11 PM
What you're likely going to see is that the majority of the PSO2 Cash Shop content will be cosmetic... things like clothing, weapon covers (makes the weapon look different while keeping the stats) and things for your character's room.

If you see things that actually effect gameplay, they'll likely be temporary buffs, such as 1 to 7 day experience or drop rate bonuses, but nothing necissary to play the game.

We shouldn't expect any real issues with the F2P model.

pso2love
Mar 27, 2012, 09:16 PM
You were going to pay an upwards of $60 for the game anyways, RIGHT? I doubt on the first day, they were going to have $60 worth of PAID content in the store. So just use the money you were going to use to buy this game, and pay for the cash shop items. If you don't like the items, then just don't buy them... and play the game for free. Problem solved.

I still want SEGA to make money. Though I'm interested in the kind of items they will have to offer... we will wait and see.

r00tabaga
Mar 27, 2012, 11:48 PM
F2P more importantly introduces the game to more casual fans that would NOT have shelled out 60 bucks in the first place. You could see this game become very popular. Angry Birds popular!

Hentai_Kittie
Mar 27, 2012, 11:50 PM
What pso2love said. And really, all you have to do is limit yourself to spending $15 a month on the cash shop. You'd likely accumilate (60 + 15 + 15+ 15) $105 that you'd have already spent on the game plus 3 monthly fees before the cash shop is actually up and running. At least, this is how i manage F2p games.....

Only Nexon and games from korea have horrendous cash shops (in my experience)

F2P more importantly introduces the game to more casual fans that would NOT have shelled out 60 bucks in the first place. You could see this game become very popular. Angry Birds popular!

With the social moble phone release, the handheld release, and the PC release. I'd say that it'll be a missed opportunity if the game doesn't release on a next gen system (hopefully the WiiU) So they can have ALL the bases locked (high popularity and high accessibility).

Don't have a good enough PC? Get the WiiU version
Want to play on the go? Get the handheld version
Have a good PC? play that version
Want to chat / make questing parties on your way home from work or something? Use the IOS / Android app!

It makes far too much sense at this point.....

Also thanks Saotome for the links! :3
I didn't find anything that was even worth worrying about.

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 12:49 AM
Lastly many Japanese MMOs are accepting paypal as a sort of payment method, I hope they do to ease my possibilities of charging up ark cash without needing a credit card. <-- Damn taxes

Sometimes I think that I payed GUARDIANS cash just to tease the lack of customization and outfits in PSU. I never found deal to join Guardians cash missions due that I payed up meseta for contirbution for runs, and since there's "no PvP" I dont need to spend on grinding to get the +10 for no other reason than "egocentric bragging speedruns". If PSO2 goes with this kinds of deals I'm totally fine by it and I guess that if all the content in character customization in the alpha is available for free I dont think I need a particular reason to charge up cash.

Edit: Even if they make a PvP mode, they wont make it depending your avatar's power. I mean for status, equipments and skills/techs you might use.

NoiseHERO
Mar 28, 2012, 12:58 AM
What pso2love said. And really, all you have to do is limit yourself to spending $15 a month on the cash shop. You'd likely accumilate (60 + 15 + 15+ 15) $105 that you'd have already spent on the game plus 3 monthly fees before the cash shop is actually up and running. At least, this is how i manage F2p games.....

Only Nexon and games from korea have horrendous cash shops (in my experience)

With the social moble phone release, the handheld release, and the PC release. I'd say that it'll be a missed opportunity if the game doesn't release on a next gen system (hopefully the WiiU) So they can have ALL the bases locked (high popularity and high accessibility).

Don't have a good enough PC? Get the WiiU version
Want to play on the go? Get the handheld version
Have a good PC? play that version
Want to chat / make questing parties on your way home from work or something? Use the IOS / Android app!

It makes far too much sense at this point.....

Also thanks Saotome for the links! :3
I didn't find anything that was even worth worrying about.

I'm somehow finding it doubtable but at this point, they may as well just throw it on the PS3 or Wii-U. :\

Wii-U would be a better choice, ESPECIALLY as a launch title. But Vita may as well be a portable PS3.

Still doubt it though.

Angelo
Mar 28, 2012, 07:25 AM
What you're likely going to see is that the majority of the PSO2 Cash Shop content will be cosmetic... things like clothing, weapon covers (makes the weapon look different while keeping the stats) and things for your character's room.

If you see things that actually effect gameplay, they'll likely be temporary buffs, such as 1 to 7 day experience or drop rate bonuses, but nothing necissary to play the game.

We shouldn't expect any real issues with the F2P model.

Did they have weapon covers in PSU JP or PsPo2? Because that is a big hope of mine.

Mike
Mar 28, 2012, 08:07 AM
Did they have weapon covers in PSU JP or PsPo2? Because that is a big hope of mine.
No, they don't.

Griffin
Mar 28, 2012, 08:43 AM
I'm somehow finding it doubtable but at this point, they may as well just throw it on the PS3 or Wii-U. :\

Wii-U would be a better choice, ESPECIALLY as a launch title. But Vita may as well be a portable PS3.

Still doubt it though.

I'd love for PSO2 to be released on the Wii-U.

Macman
Mar 28, 2012, 09:02 AM
I like the idea of weapon covers. I'd probably spring for one if they were cheap, permanent and I really liked the design.