PDA

View Full Version : Why not a traditional phantasy star game?

awaiken
Mar 26, 2012, 10:49 PM
The online games are nice and all, but I'd like to see a proper offline rpg with a 50+ hour storyline/gameplay..

Am I the only one that would like this?

Orochinagi
Mar 27, 2012, 12:15 AM
Have you played or are aware of the Phantasy Star Portable series? That may be what you are looking for. They pretty much offer just that, more so Phantasy Star Portable 2 & Infinity. Although they are offline, they also have the option for online play, but definitely not mandatory or necessary for storyline purposes. Some people may not know/care for the Phantasy Star Universe offline story mode, but there is also a "single player" offline-esque mode to play on the 5th floor of the Guardians Colony. Depending on your level, it can be 40+ more hours of storyline involvement, especially if you also do the "vanilla" missions. I'm assuming you are aware of the later but I found them all quite rewarding, more the portable series though.

Sidenote- The Phantasy Star Series has always taken place in the future, so it would seem that they will continue to take that in a more serious & literal form by continuing the franchise online. Online is in the future of most rpgs, and the future is now.

I hope this helps! Don't sleep on the portable series, you may actually find it quite satisfying =)

If you already know all this info, I apologise.

Mike
Mar 27, 2012, 12:22 AM
I think he means a traditional RPG, ala PS1 to 4.

awaiken
Mar 27, 2012, 12:32 AM
Have you played or are aware of the Phantasy Star Portable series? That may be what you are looking for. They pretty much offer just that, more so Phantasy Star Portable 2 & Infinity. Although they are offline, they also have the option for online play, but definitely not mandatory or necessary for storyline purposes. Some people may not know/care for the Phantasy Star Universe offline story mode, but there is also a "single player" offline-esque mode to play on the 5th floor of the Guardians Colony. Depending on your level, it can be 40+ more hours of storyline involvement, especially if you also do the "vanilla" missions. I'm assuming you are aware of the later but I found them all quite rewarding, more the portable series though.

Sidenote- The Phantasy Star Series has always taken place in the future, so it would seem that they will continue to take that in a more serious & literal form by continuing the franchise online. Online is in the future of most rpgs, and the future is now.

I hope this helps! Don't sleep on the portable series, you may actually find it quite satisfying =)

If you already know all this info, I apologise.

Thanks for responding! I'm actually playing through psp2 right now and it's actually what compelled me to make this thread. The second response here is right though. I mean a traditional offline only RPGS in the tradition in the older games. Forget handhelds, I'd love to see the series reborn on the 360/PS3. Maybe picking up where it left off.

The offline mode in psp2 is definitely missing the essence of the originals.

Side Note, I'm glad I bought psp2 off PSN before it was removed from the store. Anyone know why it was removed?

Orochinagi
Mar 27, 2012, 12:52 AM
Thanks for responding! I'm actually playing through psp2 right now and it's actually what compelled me to make this thread. The second response here is right though. I mean a traditional offline only RPGS in the tradition in the older games. Forget handhelds, I'd love to see the series reborn on the 360/PS3. Maybe picking up where it left off.

The offline mode in psp2 is definitely missing the essence of the originals.

Side Note, I'm glad I bought psp2 off PSN before it was removed from the store. Anyone know why it was removed?

I see. I thought that was a possibility of what you meant but wasn't sure. I honestly wouldn't mind seeing them actually remaking PSI-IV in all new 3D/HD. Sega doesn't seem to believe those titles to be as successful seeing as how PSO was the best selling in the franchise since the portables. That's when they've found their niche in the rpg gaming market and made them stand out a bit differently then previous rival Final Fantasy. I personally enjoyed the traditional PS series as well and even brought the compilations. Maybe when they get back to where they were financially and continue to rebuild their development at Sonic Team, we just may see a title like that.

Hopefullic...

Keilyn
Mar 27, 2012, 06:12 PM
I actually like the Action-Oriented gameplay in this series, and how a lot of the enemies of the first four games have been remade into three dimensional enemies. I would like another phantasy star out there, but one that is a lot more objective oriented and less oriented around killing everything in sight.

That's just me though.

I remember how I saw grass assassins in early PS games, and now in PSU they are in 3 Dimensions. I like those designs. Not to mention the Three Dimensional Motherbrain and Falz. how about the graphics to Samegid and some dark techs where the after-graphic comes from the attacks that falz use in earlier games.