PDA

View Full Version : PC help

DeathDragon2332
Mar 28, 2012, 05:04 PM
Ok so PSU is running very slow and I can't figure out why. My PC is a Athlon x2 2.8Gig 6 gig ram Windows 7 and a Radeon 5450HD 1GB version

Keilyn
Mar 28, 2012, 05:23 PM
I had asked DeathDragon to make this thread because its a lot easier to read it in forums than sending back and forth hundreds of messages by PSUs simple mail system.

The following information is basic when taking apart computers:

Processor: Origins are 2005. That was when the Athlon X2 series was released. Low-voltage variants appeared in 2007
Video Card: The performance between the two cards are extreme. 6450 is designed for low end basic things to the mid-range. 6850s are designed for heavy gaming.

First confirm by going to your display tab and reading off the video adapter you have.

DeathDragon2332
Mar 28, 2012, 05:28 PM
Opps ok here. Name:ATI Radeon HD 5450 Pixel Shader 5.0 Vertex Shader 5.0 Approx. Total Memory 3828MB

What I dont understand is that this PC can run Crysis full spec with AA with no slowdown and that takes way more than PSU.

Dragwind
Mar 28, 2012, 06:13 PM
Check to make sure your sound card's drivers are updated too. I used to have a pretty decent PC, and for some reason, the sound card (as odd as it sounds) was slowing PSU down. Once I replaced it, PSU ran a whole lot better. Try adjusting your Dxdiag settings and mess with the hardware acceleration settings (for directsound) while playing PSU as well. That setting can make a difference sometimes.

DeathDragon2332
Mar 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
Ok will do.

Keilyn
Mar 28, 2012, 06:29 PM
Opps ok here. Name:ATI Radeon HD 5450 Pixel Shader 5.0 Vertex Shader 5.0 Approx. Total Memory 3828MB

What I dont understand is that this PC can run Crysis full spec with AA with no slowdown and that takes way more than PSU.

Your reference to Crysis is false. Below are the framerate results in Crysis ran on an overclocked Intel i-7 extreme edition processor running Direct X 10 under MEDIUM settings. Notice this test was ran WITHOUT Anti-Aliasing, while you claim you ran yours with AA active.

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/244/bench/Crysis.png

If you copied the same test at the same resolution, but played at 1024x768, you would get around 10 - 12 FPS, then AA will reduce your framerate to around 5 or 6.

Also, The Crytek Engine in Crysis 1 required the use of four simultaneous threads and ran on a physics engine. Your processor is only capable of two threads. Crysis Warhead was more optimized and allowed for 8 simultaneous threads. In short players actually get better performance in Crysis Warhead and WORSE performance in Crysis 1.

Now, I am wondering if you get around 20 - 30 FPS when running in Direct X8 or 9.

What you can try doing is the following:

1) I want you to download Driver Sweeper and RegCleaner 4.3
2) Uninstall your ATI driver, but do not install new ones yet. Reboot the system when asked to in safe mode.
3) Use Driver Sweeper to remove any remaining traces of ATI drivers in your file system (such as config files, Ini files, any files)
4) Use RegCleaner 4.3 to remove any traces of ATI from your registry.
5) Download and Install the latest drivers that support your card
6) Install them.

They should work fine.

Sometimes people download drivers and just run the installer without removing old files, the result is a driver that uses a combination of new and old files, this means in certain games sometimes your card will not work and the system will actually revert to using "On-Board" graphics mode. In short, sometimes the system will use "Software Rendering" elements instead of full OpenGL/DirectX.

DeathDragon2332
Mar 28, 2012, 06:41 PM
Your reference to Crysis is false. Below are the framerate results in Crysis ran on an overclocked Intel i-7 extreme edition processor running Direct X 10 under MEDIUM settings. Notice this test was ran WITHOUT Anti-Aliasing, while you claim you ran yours with AA active.

http://static.techspot.com/articles-info/244/bench/Crysis.png

If you copied the same test at the same resolution, but played at 1024x768, you would get around 10 - 12 FPS, then AA will reduce your framerate to around 5 or 6.

Also, The Crytek Engine in Crysis 1 required the use of four simultaneous threads and ran on a physics engine. Your processor is only capable of two threads. Crysis Warhead was more optimized and allowed for 8 simultaneous threads. In short players actually get better performance in Crysis Warhead and WORSE performance in Crysis 1.

Now, I am wondering if you get around 20 - 30 FPS when running in Direct X8 or 9.

What you can try doing is the following:

1) I want you to download Driver Sweeper and RegCleaner 4.3
2) Uninstall your ATI driver, but do not install new ones yet. Reboot the system when asked to in safe mode.
3) Use Driver Sweeper to remove any remaining traces of ATI drivers in your file system (such as config files, Ini files, any files)
4) Use RegCleaner 4.3 to remove any traces of ATI from your registry.
5) Download and Install the latest drivers that support your card
6) Install them.

They should work fine.

Sometimes people download drivers and just run the installer without removing old files, the result is a driver that uses a combination of new and old files, this means in certain games sometimes your card will not work and the system will actually revert to using "On-Board" graphics mode. In short, sometimes the system will use "Software Rendering" elements instead of full OpenGL/DirectX.
What's funny is the fact that right now I am running it And typing to you on my laptop. Running it in 1024x768 with 4AA. I would make a vid to show you but I am way to lazy to get a program just to show you this. I really don't care if you believe me or not.

Look. http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz15/DeathDragon2332/Proof.png
The result at the top says FAST at Recommended.

Keilyn
Mar 28, 2012, 07:03 PM
You passed the specifications requirement, but that doesn't mean you get top-level performance. My top level performance on SLI 480 GTX on the most demanding maps and latest drivers + enthusiast shaders = 80 - 100 FPS on Superclocked models. My min FPS is around 40 - 45.

My advice to you also, is to turn off Memory in BIOS to support the video card. Your card reads as having 3 - 4GB of memory because in the BIOS its set to use your SYSTEM MEMORY as Video RAM as well. This slows down your card because it has to swap.

You don't need System Memory to be used as VRAM when you have a GB of Vram.

Also, American Megatrends makes AMIBIOS. My favorite BIOS package. One that is the safest industrial standard from hardware/software hack attacks.

DeathDragon2332
Mar 28, 2012, 07:05 PM
I don't know how to do those things. I am not a huge computer guy.

I'm in the BIO's and it says. Share Memory Auto Detection Disabled
Share Memory Size Disabled DCT Unganged Mode Auto and Memory Remap Feature Enabled. So IDK why it is sharing memory.

Anyway back to the main point PSU shouldnt be slow if this can run Crysis period.

I am doing the sweeper right now then I will do the Registry Cleaner.

Keilyn
Mar 28, 2012, 09:04 PM
The program will do the work for you. A lot of people who know nothing about comps use those two programs together when installing and clearing drivers. The programs do the work when selected automatically and they do a pretty good job.

By pretty good, I mean it comes to close to even perfect of doing it manually in just seconds.

DeathDragon2332
Mar 28, 2012, 09:56 PM
I used the the Reg Cleaner 4.3 and it fucked up my Display dll I had to go into safe mode and redo my driver. I give up. I'll just deal with it till I get my gaming Laptop next month. It's good enough to run Anything at Full spec.

Keilyn
Mar 28, 2012, 11:41 PM
When you use Registry Cleaner, it wipes out incompatible entries. If your display gets messed up , its because it wiped out shared entries in the registry. As a general rule your display driver is supposed to be independent because its a third party.

By doing this, you know directly you are sharing files, in short at times when you play games your card to facilitate the files it shares, goes into Software Rendering mode, which is the same as not having a video card.

DeathDragon2332
Mar 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
I see.