PDA

View Full Version : Character design ideas. Anything come to mind?

Mega Ultra Chicken
Mar 28, 2012, 06:03 PM
From what we've seen so far, the character customization system (excluding outfits) seems very robust. Sliders galore? Technicolor skin for Casts? Dreadlocks? Custom face paint/scars? We seem to have a lot of options coming our way.

It makes me wonder: what kind of ideas does he fanbase have for using this (Unless you're the type that just wings it instead of planning stuff out?) Does the customization system make you want to try anything new in character design that the previous Phantasy Star games did not allow for?

---

Personally, I might make a black character with this character creator, maybe a black goth Newman girl. Seeing how this character creator can be used to adjust facial properties (as exemplified by the arguably offensive-looking RAmar,) I could probably make a dark-skinned character that doesn't look like a generic anime character with darkened skin... or an Asian stereotype of black people.

My RAmarl would be a stout female character (think the female Pandaren (http://www.blogcdn.com/wow.joystiq.com/media/2012/03/female-pandaren-concept-1332142307.jpg) or the female Dwarf (http://www.scrollsoflore.com/gallery/albums/wow_renders/armorset_dwarf-female-hunter-t2.jpg) in WoW,) but that was probably possible in the other games. But maybe PSO2's sliders could allow for a character to look both fat and strong at the same time, at least to a more accurate extent than the previous sliders. As usual, my main would be the most boring, being a tiny pink/magenta-haired Newman pseudo-shota based on my PSU main.

And as for Casts... making one's gonna be hard, especially since there seems to be the potential for exaggerated physiques in this game. I might go with a top-heavy FOcast... if I don't get lost in the character creator first.

And if we have 6 character slots, Mar and Caseal will remain open for experimentation.

Griffin
Mar 28, 2012, 06:06 PM
First off, the level of customization is what I've always dreamed of for an online game. It's so extensive, that it will be quite difficult for me not to make many alternates.

I'll try to stick with 4. I'm glad we can make decent young teens with it.

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 06:08 PM
My biggest concern that wasn't much shown in the character creation video is the control of your mass and muscles. I would like a slider that modified the textures of the character to more roundy or more muscleish. This is mostly a detail you wanna care for a male character. For example PSU is full of fat muscle men or young boys with athletic bodies.

Mitz
Mar 28, 2012, 06:12 PM
Even though I'm very pleased with all the customization when compared to other games, I still clicked that I was unsatisfied with it in the alpha survey because I care that much about it.

•Col•
Mar 28, 2012, 06:13 PM
I plan on making a Beast-esque character to keep the memory of my PSU/P2 character alive. Here's what I came up with when I created a character in the PSO2 alpha:
[spoiler-box]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/1234554321/PSO2Char.png[/spoiler-box]

My biggest concern that wasn't much shown in the character creation video is the control of your mass and muscles. I would like a slider that modified the textures of the character to more roundy or more muscleish. This is mostly a detail you wanna care for a male character. For example PSU is full of fat muscle men.

There's a slider for muscle tone. If you want to make a fat character, just put the muscle tone all the way down, and max out that belly/waist.

NoiseHERO
Mar 28, 2012, 06:13 PM
When the character creation client drops you'll have half a month to design a character before closed beta. :0

Ain't that convenient?

Mega Ultra Chicken
Mar 28, 2012, 06:14 PM
My biggest concern that wasn't much shown in the character creation video is the control of your mass and muscles. I would like a slider that modified the textures of the character to more roundy or more muscleish. This is mostly a detail you wanna care for a male character. For example PSU is full of fat muscle men or young boys with athletic bodies.
I remember seeing a slider in the demonstration video they made a while ago that showed muscle tone being adjustable.

buri-chan
Mar 28, 2012, 06:14 PM
I'll just make almost the exact same as I did in Infinity. Newearl, pink twintails, sideways ears, average height,red/black clothes and enjoy the true DFC.

Remius
Mar 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
Well it's the best character creator they've ever had. I dont want to sound like im bashing it or anything, but it's still lacking in certain areas. It helps solve one of the issues with PSO/PSU/PSP2i where you're only able to basically make one ethnicity of character, but at the same time it still solves it in a very minimalist sort of way. For instance, you're able to make Japanese/Anime looking young teens, bishonen guys, loli's, and beautiful looking anime females like you see in anime or Jpop videos....but it pretty much ends there.

long story short, the character creator is tenfold what it was for PSU, but only in the areas that it tries to excel in. It's still pretty lackluster if you're trying to create any kind of character that you wouldn't expect to see in a mainstream japanese videogame. This counts double if you're making a female character, since they're pretty much deadlocked into very smooth and precise facial structures.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Mar 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
I plan on making a Beast-esque character to keep the memory of my PSU/P2 character alive. Here's what I came up with when I created a character in the PSO2 alpha:
[spoiler-box]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v175/1234554321/PSO2Char.png[/spoiler-box]

Neat. But then again, something that bothered me about Beasts was that all the Beast characters in the PSU story had what looked like shorter Newman ears. What was so wrong with the furry, animal-like ears? But it seems to be a blessing here, as you've demonstrated. I wonder if there's face paint that could be used to imitate a Beast's dog-like nose.

•Col•
Mar 28, 2012, 06:23 PM
Neat. But then again, something that bothered me about Beasts was that all the Beast characters in the PSU story had what looked like shorter Newman ears. What was so wrong with the furry, animal-like ears? But it seems to be a blessing here, as you've demonstrated. I wonder if there's face paint that could be used to imitate a Beast's dog-like nose.

You could probably make a more dog looking nose with all the nose sliders they have... I swear there must be 4 separate ones for it. I actually based my PSO2 character moreso off of my PSP2 character... In that game, there was a Beast face that had a non-dogish nose. They also added a new male beast eartype which are very similar to the ones I made for my PSO2 character.

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 06:24 PM
@Remius Well Sonic Team has a huge attachment to Anime, they never really cared on giving any other style to it, even what people considers manly you can see it as how they draw up a causcastic character in the animes. It's not that it's limited because they can't but sometimes we have to deal that the real gods of a game are the devs and if they dont like an idea, they wont add it.

If I want to suggest something good for the character creation because im not sure is about eye editing. I wanna know if you can make your character heterochromatic, because, ya know.. Im an amber/brownish gold heterochromatic for a reason It's very long to tell since I was born 24 years ago. While in many of my potraits when the heterochromatic aint available I just use my brown contact lens eye color which atm I can't hide my eye colors anymore since I was forced to start using rest glasses.

Edit: BTW Remius, I suggest that for readers for a forum if you exceed 3 long paragraphs for talking about one thread, you use the spoiler frame, and write a tl:dr version of it above. Because by reading your posts I have hard times to get exactly what are you trying to tell in the whole and feel tired.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Mar 28, 2012, 06:27 PM
Dat post

...Huh. I haven't played it myself, so I wouldn't have known unless I decided to anticipate an inclination toward generic attractiveness. But if there's a customization client coming out, maybe I could see this for myself... if I don't get completely lost trying (and failing) to read the Japanese.

Griffin
Mar 28, 2012, 06:31 PM
If you want to make a black guy, you're pretty much forced to either make one of the above choices with dark skin, or go with the general "mid-30's-40's" facial model. On top of that, you have very few choices for black hairstyles -- typical generic cornrolls or afro.

I was hoping for a temp fade haircut for my black guy. >:U

Remius
Mar 28, 2012, 06:34 PM
Well, to be honest im not really sure if it's because they can or cant. Faces aren't very easy to do, really. Very, very subtle changes can change everything about the face. Issue is, if you aren't exposed to them, it's pretty hard to tell changes apart. (Ever heard that old stereotype that "All black/asian/white/whatever people look alike"? Sort of like that. So, in order to represent a certian race when you aren't really used to doing them, you resort to extremes.

...Which is what happened to black people on PSO2. (lol Ramar)

Most styles of "generic" anime generally shave a face down to shape, eyes, hairstyle and skin color. PSO2 seems to be somewhere inbetween trying to escape that style and trying to conform to it...but generally, most of the stuff you create is pretty simplistic despite all the control you're given.

If I want to suggest something good for the character creation because im not sure is about eye editing. I wanna know if you can make your character heterochromatic, because, ya know.. Im an amber/brownish gold heterochromatic for a reason It's very long to tell since I was born 24 years ago. While in many of my potraits when the heterochromatic aint available I just use my brown contact lens eye color which atm I can't hide my eye colors anymore since I was forced to start using rest glasses.

Edit: BTW Remius, I suggest that for readers for a forum if you exceed 3 long paragraphs for talking about one thread, you use the spoiler frame, and write a tl:dr version of it above. Because by reading your posts I have hard times to get exactly what are you trying to tell in the whole and feel tired.

1) No. You choose an eye texture and then edit the color, like on PSU.

2) yeah fixed it. I type pretty fast; length really means nothing to me. Ive been known to finish college essays the morning they're due from scratch.

...and get B's and A's. : 3

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 06:51 PM
Well like I said in another post, if someone can suggest my idea to SEGA in japanese, please do. Add an eye style that let you slide the color of each eye so your character can be customized with Heterochromia, maybe SEGA can do it but they just didn't realize yet :3

And well I'm actually a High School Teacher in Argentina, so I use to teach kids not only that it's hard to write long texts but also harder to write them in a manner people can understand what they are expressing.

Remius
Mar 28, 2012, 06:54 PM
Actually, my AP English teacher in highschool said that it's far more attractive to be able to condense sentences rather than draw them out. Shows greater mastery of the language.

...however here i kind of just thoughtstream type, sooooo.

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 06:56 PM
Actually, my AP English teacher in highschool said that it's far more attractive to be able to condense sentences rather than draw them out. Shows greater mastery of the language.

...however here i kind of just thoughtstream type, sooooo.

Well I was suggesting a least unconfortable to read method, not what it seems to be academicly better, I also adjust my style of writing depend the type of reader im looking here, for example in any kind of internet network society I try to be informal in order to become easy to be understood.

And I never learnt english by nothing more than practical experience of seeing it often, I never took advanced classes or possess a language certificate so I admit I still have flaws writing in English.

I will stop talking about this because I'm getting off thread. But thanks for the reminder, I should focus more into stop writing fast and focus on the grammar to practice my english skills.

Angelo
Mar 28, 2012, 07:22 PM
I kind of want to make a 'seasoned fighter' look, similar to Auron from FF10.
I hope we get more robes.

Reia
Mar 28, 2012, 07:23 PM
I kind of want to make a 'seasoned fighter' look, similar to Auron from FF10.
I hope we get more robes.

If they fixed the cloth texture colission with the character's body, we sure can get more robes.

Kazzi
Mar 28, 2012, 07:27 PM
I just wish they'd make it so you can change more than one colour on the clothes :/

I'll probably just experiment with it and see what I like. I saw some very strange looking JP players that I partied with, I'm tempted to make the most ridiculous character I can think of.

Remius
Mar 28, 2012, 08:24 PM
Well I was suggesting a least unconfortable to read method, not what it seems to be academicly better, I also adjust my style of writing depend the type of reader im looking here, for example in any kind of internet network society I try to be informal in order to become easy to be understood.

And I never learnt english by nothing more than practical experience of seeing it often, I never took advanced classes or possess a language certificate so I admit I still have flaws writing in English.

I will stop talking about this because I'm getting off thread. But thanks for the reminder, I should focus more into stop writing fast and focus on the grammar to practice my english skills.

Yeah if it's any indication, it's the same for me. I probably only did so good in english because i got into JRPGs at a young age.

But yeah, i guess you guys can judge for yourselves. Character creation was pretty fun to me.

NoiseHERO
Mar 28, 2012, 09:01 PM
I usually don't even bother making black characters in online games?

Making a black kid, but my only choices are halfassed versions of cloud strife hair? not worth it.

PSU was a little bareable but still hard to make it work D:

I'll be abusin' that cash shop afro this time around though.

•Col•
Mar 28, 2012, 09:13 PM
I just wish they'd make it so you can change more than one colour on the clothes :/

It's probably going to be a cash shop option.

I'm not even joking. I was always upset that they only let us change 1 color on our clothes, so then when I first heard about the cash shop, it immediately became apparent to me why.

Griffin
Mar 28, 2012, 09:17 PM

Making a black kid, but my only choices are halfassed versions of cloud strife hair? not worth it.

I can't afro or cornroll or dreadlock! Those aren't me!

BIG OLAF
Mar 28, 2012, 09:17 PM

I'm not even joking. I was always upset that they only let us change 1 color on our clothes, so then when I first heard about the cash shop, it immediately became apparent to me why.

Looks like someone got tired of being called "corncob" and "koala."

Alucard V
Mar 28, 2012, 09:29 PM
Finally a thread I can get behind.

I say go with what looks & feels natural. It does help to have a persona in mind to start with.
For me it would be to recreating a (overly) voluptuous long haired blonde human female I had on PSU.

There's a demo for the Character Creator coming out on April 5th it might be wroth looking into.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Mar 28, 2012, 09:44 PM

I'll be abusin' that cash shop afro this time around though. Meh, must have been the RAmar that sparked my interest. If I can't make anything good, I'll probably just make a tall and lanky goth girl... or try for an inhuman skin color. Maybe I could exploit the tattoo system if they can be increased in size indefinitely.

Vashyron
Mar 28, 2012, 09:44 PM

Jumping the gun a bit on thinking they will even let us change clothing color and it won't be like PSU. We'll see in the beta.

buri-chan
Mar 28, 2012, 09:48 PM
I'm more interested in clothing colors matching than being able to be changed. It was a nightmare trying to match up mixed clothing in Universe/Portable. One red was a different hue than another and it just forced me to give up and go with a premade ensemble.

Angelo
Mar 28, 2012, 09:54 PM

You could use the cornrows to make a bad-ass Riley Freeman-esque character.

Rizen
Mar 28, 2012, 09:55 PM
I miss my PSU character now...oh wait I have him on my PSP2i! *goes find PSP*

Griffin
Mar 28, 2012, 09:58 PM
You could use the cornrows to make a bad-ass Riley Freeman-esque character.

Or new-gen Spencer from Bionic Commando.

•Col•
Mar 28, 2012, 10:11 PM
Looks like someone got tired of being called "corncob" and "koala."

So? D:

It's been annoying me for the past 10 years.

Jumping the gun a bit on thinking they will even let us change clothing color and it won't be like PSU. We'll see in the beta.

Just sayin'.... Dyes would probably be their most bought items if they released them in the shop... From a business perspective, I don't see why they wouldn't do it. D:

Cephei Mordred
Mar 28, 2012, 10:12 PM
It'll be hard not to just outright clone or slightly modify foney-chan.

http://pso2.jp/entry/image/element/benchmark_bg.jpg

Rizen
Mar 28, 2012, 10:15 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting release of more clothing options other than the defaults given from the beginning... then I can really start designing my characters the way I want to. I suppose that is a ways off. At least there will be a character demo available!

BIG OLAF
Mar 28, 2012, 10:19 PM
That gal in the left-side screenshot is pretty sexy.

Is it April 5th yet?

•Col•
Mar 28, 2012, 10:21 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting release of more clothing options other than the defaults given from the beginning... then I can really start designing my characters the way I want to. I suppose that is a ways off. At least there will be a character demo available!

Also assuming only the default clothing options will be available... Everything else will be purchasable in the cash shop. Again, not tryin' to be a downer here...

From what I can see, the default outfits are more than enough to start out with. Making only the default outfits available for free gives almost EVERY player a huuuuge incentive to buy a new one from the cash shop. I know I'd buy some for sure if that were the case.

Vashyron
Mar 28, 2012, 10:26 PM
On that model there, they don't exactly look like that under the in game lighting. They look considerably worse without the touch ups those high poly models have under "perfected" lighting.

In the Alpha 2 I was pretty annoyed with the lighting used in the character creation I must say, everything you see there is much darker than actually used everywhere else in the actual game besides Cut-In chat.
Tried to make a character that wasn't basically pale, looked nice in character creation. Then I go in game and bam, pale as heck.

By this screenshot (http://www.4gamer.net/games/120/G012075/20120326010/screenshot.html?num=054) you can see what I mean and that it still happens in the beta. Look at the FOnewearl's skin color in the cut in and outside.

Just sayin'.... Dyes would probably be their most bought items if they released them in the shop... From a business perspective, I don't see why they wouldn't do it. D:

Getting people to roll the Gatcha many times for the desired color choice will probably get them more money.

Also I'm not completely sure if fleshie clothing "color info" was actually on the clothing, but perhaps instead on the character like Casts have.

Does anyone remember if in the Alpha the clothing item listed specifically what color it was?

Rizen
Mar 28, 2012, 10:30 PM
Also assuming only the default clothing options will be available... Everything else will be purchasable in the cash shop. Again, not tryin' to be a downer here...

From what I can see, the default outfits are more than enough to start out with. Making only the default outfits available for free gives almost EVERY player a huuuuge incentive to buy a new one from the cash shop. I know I'd buy some for sure if that were the case.
As long as we can buy off other players...I will be happy. I wouldn't mind rolling some out myself so long as it doesn't exceed what I originally planned to pay for the game.

NoiseHERO
Mar 28, 2012, 10:36 PM
That gal in the left-side screenshot is pretty sexy.

Is it April 5th yet?

She looks like an adult version of one my main characters.. but with glasses. D:

Same hairstyle, face AND eye color AND she likes to wear green...

(dA = proof)

•Col•
Mar 28, 2012, 10:38 PM
On that model there, they don't exactly look like that under the in game lighting. They look considerably worse without the touch ups those high poly models have under "perfected" lighting.

In the Alpha 2 I was pretty annoyed with the lighting used in the character creation I must say, everything you see there is much darker than actually used everywhere else in the actual game besides Cut-In chat.
Tried to make a character that wasn't basically pale, looked nice in character creation. Then I go in game and bam, pale as heck.

THAT ANNOYED ME SO MUCH IN THE ALHPA.

When I first spawned in, it looked like my character had some sort of skin disease... D: Had to recreate my character like 3 times, and even then I wasn't happy with it.

I really hope they fix the character creation screen lighting...

Getting people to roll the Gatcha many times for the desired color choice will probably get them more money.

Also I'm not completely sure if fleshie clothing "color info" was actually on the clothing, but perhaps instead on the character like Casts have.

Does anyone remember if in the Alpha the clothing item listed specifically what color it was?

Have both. :3c

Dyes for unrare/not gatcha clothes.... Then gatcha clothes with different colors that you can't change.

And what do you mean by listed clothing color...? I remember it showed the color you chose somewhere in the menus for your clothes. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean like... For the HUmar outfit, it was listed as Black? Because I don't think I saw that...

Rei-San
Mar 28, 2012, 10:54 PM
I personally wanted beasts to come back. I wanted to make my beast girl Keori again, but I'll make her as animistic as possible. If i could make her a kemono i would, but I might just make her a classic HUnewearl as she was back then.

Also to her character the is buxom.Sshe's also supposed to have a huge bust size, like Rangiku Matsumoto big, and curvy hips. So I can use the bust & proportion slider to my advantage for the first time ever in any PS game I played. ^^ *wipes mouth*

*ahem*

As to my fanfic that i'm working on, my main Rei is turned into a Dewman, If dewmans DO return as speculated by datamining, then that's what I'm going to make him. Untill then, I'll make him a pasty white skinned human with a Japanese style eyepatch.

Vashyron
Mar 28, 2012, 10:55 PM
THAT ANNOYED ME SO MUCH IN THE ALHPA.

When I first spawned in, it looked like my character had some sort of skin disease... D: Had to recreate my character like 3 times, and even then I wasn't happy with it.

I really hope they fix the character creation screen lighting...

Doubting they fixed it, considering the cut in chat (that uses the same lighting from the character creation) isn't fixed if you check my edited post.

So I'm expecting people will still have to tweak their skin color when the Beta actually comes out. Won't be as annoying as Alpha though since you won't have to remake your whole character.

Though this doesn't fix your character essentially having 2 skin tones. (Inside and Outside cut in chat.)

Have both. :3c

Dyes for unrare/not gatcha clothes.... Then gatcha clothes with different colors that you can't change.

And what do you mean by listed clothing color...? I remember it showed the color you chose somewhere in the menus for your clothes. Is that what you mean? Or do you mean like... For the HUmar outfit, it was listed as Black? Because I don't think I saw that...

I mean on the actual item it self in game if you looked at it.
Because if it shows nothing there, it may mean the game may technically treats fleshie color choice like Casts use. (Like in PSU if you swapped parts as a cast you would still keep the same color scheme.)

Zorafim
Mar 28, 2012, 11:38 PM
I'm just posting because the topic creator's name is awesome. I don't really care about the topic, since there's going to be an image thread on the 5th anyway which will recap everything in this topic anyway. But, it has to be stated. The topic creator's name is awesome.

NoiseHERO
Mar 28, 2012, 11:42 PM
Yeah I wanted to make a thread based on the character creator demo, but it's not coming for another 7 days.

What kinda dick does that a week early?! The first 10 pages will be filled with pointless jibber jabber!

Mega Ultra Chicken
Mar 28, 2012, 11:45 PM
I'm just posting because the topic creator's name is awesome. I don't really care about the topic, since there's going to be an image thread on the 5th anyway which will recap everything in this topic anyway. But, it has to be stated. The topic creator's name is awesome.
Thanks... You do know my username's a reference to a reference, right?

What kinda dick does that a week early?! The first 10 pages will be filled with pointless jibber jabber! It seems I accidentally did.

Rizen
Mar 29, 2012, 12:03 AM
I personally wanted beasts to come back. I wanted to make my beast girl Keori again, but I'll make her as animistic as possible. If i could make her a kemono i would, but I might just make her a classic HUnewearl as she was back then.

Hopefully, they won't do what Capcom did to Megaman in recent crossovers and do everything to make you look like a beast, but never actually implement them. :P

Zorafim
Mar 29, 2012, 12:37 AM
Thanks... You do know my username's a reference to a reference, right?

Arise, chicken.

Chicken, arise.

Arise, chicken. Arise.

moorebounce
Mar 29, 2012, 12:43 AM
It's too bad they don't have a webcam feature where you can use your own face in game.

•Col•
Mar 29, 2012, 12:50 AM
It's too bad they don't have a webcam feature where you can use your own face in game.

That is literally the worst idea I've EVER heard for PSO2. :l You should be ashamed.

I don't want this thing to turn into ChatRoulette: The Game (http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/scaled.php?server=31&filename=1275813485144.jpg&res=medium).

BIG OLAF
Mar 29, 2012, 12:53 AM

Other games have had that, and it's always creepy. No thanks.

moorebounce
Mar 29, 2012, 12:57 AM
That is literally the worst idea I've EVER heard for PSO2. :l You should be ashamed.

I don't want this thing to turn into ChatRoulette: The Game (http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg31/scaled.php?server=31&filename=1275813485144.jpg&res=medium).

I would like to put my face on my character(s) without having to take several hours to do it. Now if your face look like Dick then I can understand why you wouldn't like this feature.

Other games have had that, and it's always creepy. No thanks.

It's funny how people want endless customization and IMO that feature would be just another tool to help in that matter. If done right it's not creepy.

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 12:58 AM

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

First time that meme's ever made me laugh.

Elephant faces... YES!

SuperChoco
Mar 29, 2012, 12:58 AM
I'm going to make my character look like he's been out of commission for 11 years.

Chunky.

BIG OLAF
Mar 29, 2012, 01:03 AM
It's funny how people want endless customization and IMO that feature would be just another tool to help in that matter. If done right it's not creepy.

Example...?

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 01:10 AM
Moore is missing the chat roullette joke, then gettin' all defensive. D<

Also learn to sculpt.

moorebounce
Mar 29, 2012, 01:10 AM
Example...?

http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/2946/resultaat.jpg

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 01:16 AM
From creepy to awkward!

Doesn't look natural enough. D<

Just hire me to give you a loli face.

Rei-San
Mar 29, 2012, 01:20 AM
Hopefully, they won't do what Capcom did to Megaman in recent crossovers and do everything to make you look like a beast, but never actually implement them. :P

don't mock me... :( I'm a big megaman fan...

I still don't understand how Dewmans are in the game's data instead of beasts. I thought everyone hated Dewmans. I wonder if they will let us request races for the final game, I would mind paying for them. >_>

...or not.

moorebounce
Mar 29, 2012, 01:24 AM
From creepy to awkward!

Doesn't look natural enough. D<

Just hire me to give you a loli face.

I give you a great example and it looks more natural than any face you can make in PSO2. That last line didn't sound gay at all.

Zaix
Mar 29, 2012, 01:26 AM
I already had my fun in the character creator during the Alpha 2 Test. I was bored and made 18 completely different characters.

I may remake a few of them.

Cast Videos[SPOILER-BOX]
FOcaseal (Force Female Cast)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGbVAe_Zk44

FOcast (Force Male Cast)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3onETnUK8SA

HUcaseal (Hunter Female Cast)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUDZDzrOzzk

HUcast (Hunter Male Cast)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i86alHklTls

RAcaseal (Ranger Female Cast) - Zetsumei

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X50NTpMWsyo

RAcast (Ranger Male Cast)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1nHshkQdP4[/SPOILER-BOX]

Human Videos[SPOILER-BOX]
FOmar (Force Male Human)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IFKXzr2Rkc

FOmarl (Force Female Human)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ea7H3QTXxkY

HUmar (Hunter Male Human)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jke1ZLtz2yo

HUmarl (Hunter Female Human) - Kyoushu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcMqPduGim4

RAmar (Ranger Male Human)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ffo-brwCVEo

RAmarl (Ranger Female Human)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsUTTwvHaoU[/SPOILER-BOX]

Newman Videos[SPOILER-BOX]
FOnewearl (Force Female Newman)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsJ5ODIvKsA

FOnewm (Force Male Newman) - Zaix

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SVZBpAe64c

HUnewearl (Hunter Female Newman)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRqadugvttc

HUnewm (Hunter Male Newman)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=STQUw19fdMc

RAnewearl (Ranger Female Newman)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k24ELMgf0E

RAnewm (Ranger Male Newman)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_Y9W_sGiLg[/SPOILER-BOX]

I don't care if you decide to copy any of these characters. In fact it would be awesome to see some of these running around in the future. Please don't copy my named ones though.

BIG OLAF
Mar 29, 2012, 01:27 AM
I give you a great example and it looks more natural than any face you can make in PSO2. That last line didn't sound gay at all.

Well, now we can make an assessment of his character.

Also, while that example is all well and good, PSO2 is an anime-style game. People running around with greatly exaggerated boobs, hips, muscles, and...everything else with "realistic" faces would look grossly out of place. I'm sure you'll deny this, but it's truth.

Remius
Mar 29, 2012, 01:30 AM

This, this, this this this this this. Oh my god i had to remake every freaking character i made.

Not only was the lighting off, but the "darker" skintones in PSO2 are just retarded.

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 01:37 AM

My god you have a weak sense of humor, where do you live? The middle of nowhere?

And yeah, I'm sure it would make plenty of sense to put josh's face over there into a game where the shape of everyone's head's would mostly be the shape of a shovel, yeah.

You should be ashamed of yourself.

Remius
Mar 29, 2012, 01:46 AM
http://img44.imageshack.us/img44/2946/resultaat.jpg

too many curves, needs more shovel

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 01:50 AM
I don't like you Remius, making me realize that all anime faces look like shovels, totally ruined all the moe for me, you suck.

Remius
Mar 29, 2012, 01:56 AM
I don't like you Remius, making me realize that all anime faces look like shovels, totally ruined all the moe for me, you suck.

[SPOILER-BOX]http://bumped.org/psublog/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/Fonewearl-girl.jpg

http://www.swords24.eu/images/products/en/Cold_Steel_Special_Forces_Shovel_92SF.jpg

http://www.pso-world.com/images/news/07-29-11/pso2-unit1.jpg

http://www.dimensionsguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/Different-Shovel.jpg

Edit:

ahahahaha, "DIFFERENT-SHOVEL.JPG", so perfect

[/SPOILER-BOX]

BIG OLAF
Mar 29, 2012, 01:59 AM
My god you have a weak sense of humor, where do you live? The middle of nowhere?

His location does say "Midwest", so yes, he probably does.

Back on-topic, aster seeing that screenshot Vashyron linked to, I can definitely see the skin tone difference. I mean, I won't be affected too much, since I planned on making my character pretty pale, but they should still fix that. It's nice for games to have increased graphical settings and lighting for creation menus, but not when it translates badly into other areas.

Remius
Mar 29, 2012, 02:01 AM
Oh yeah.

Not only are the skintones a bit odd? But character costume mapping is also a bit misleading.

For instance, you may be surprised when you find out that the Fonewearl outfit...really doesn't fit very well on normal-sized females. Especially taller than average ones.

Humar outfit made all my people look fat until i stepped in-game.

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 02:06 AM
UGH, shovels, different shovels e_e

@ Midwest... LOOOOOOL any further comment on that and I'd be going too far.

Anyway I'm hoping that skin color thing doesn't get too complicated, I had the same exact issue in PSU...

>Makes the perfectly sculpted face
>Gets into the room after loading screen
> "THAT'S NOT THE CHARACTER I MADE" D<

I think I remade my newman in PSP2 like 20 times before I realized newman's just had fugly boney faces in that game. Then just gave up and made that same character a beast instead...

Who ALSO just so happens to be said black character that I'll be giving that cash shop Afro to... SEGA really doesn't like Lucas(Black people) e_e

BIG OLAF
Mar 29, 2012, 02:11 AM
Well, PSU had this funky lighting system where every direction you faced had a different shadow cast of you....like there were a bunch of giant lamps scattered in random parts of every ceiling. It was annoying, because the characters only looked good about half the time.

moorebounce
Mar 29, 2012, 04:14 AM
Well, now we can make an assessment of his character.

Also, while that example is all well and good, PSO2 is an anime-style game. People running around with greatly exaggerated boobs, hips, muscles, and...everything else with "realistic" faces would look grossly out of place. I'm sure you'll deny this, but it's truth.

The whole point of the depth of the customization is the help make things look different. The game face thing would just add to that. You or anybody else not liking it I could care less. I wasn't gonna give you an example at first but I went against my better judgement. You go around an negatively comment on peoples post.

I made a comment in another post about being able to raise your mags on your smartphone and you took the disscussion into how you don't own a smartphone. I'm done with you BIG OAF.

BIG OLAF
Mar 29, 2012, 04:26 AM
The whole point of the depth of the customization is the help make things look different. The game face thing would just add to that. You or anybody else not liking it I could care less. I wasn't gonna give you an example at first but I went against my better judgement. You go around an negatively comment on peoples post.

I made a comment in another post about being able to raise your mags on your smartphone and you took the disscussion into how you don't own a smartphone. I'm done with you BIG OAF.

He's 'done with me', everyone. Woe is me.

It's silly how you singled me out for being "negative" when all I was doing was disagreeing with your idea via relevant facts (PSO2 being an anime-style game; 'realistic', non-shovel [lolol] faces being out-of-place, etc.). Yet, you disregard Rock's blatant attempts to annoy you. I don't get it.

Also, did everyone see what he did there? Left the "L" out of my name to make it seem more derogatory. Pretty clever, if I do say so myself.

Angelo
Mar 29, 2012, 04:30 AM
I thought this thread was 'Character design ideas' not 'Argue about the limitations of the character creator and take everything personally'

BIG OLAF
Mar 29, 2012, 04:36 AM
Well, I was attempting to move the discussion forward with my addressing of the creation menu lighting situation, but hey.

I've played some online games recently that seem to suffer from this rather odd problem, being that the character you think you made in the creator menus doesn't exactly come out how it's shown, due to the 'graphical upgrade' most games give in the creator, and these have nothing to do with the lighting.

Is PSO2 like this? I think I saw someone mention how certain outfits don't "look right" on characters past a certain height. I know some outfits in PSU were like that. I would like to know what they mean by "not look right." Are the textures stretched, or does it just look awkward, like a tall, buxom mistress in a schoolgirl skirt?

Dinosaur
Mar 29, 2012, 04:58 AM
When playing as a tall or large Hunter, I found it hard to see the movement of smaller enemies directly in front of me. This would result in damage that could have been avoided or guarded had I actually been able to see the enemy move and react to it. This has lead me to create shorter and smaller characters for higher combat visibility.

Remius
Mar 29, 2012, 08:32 AM
Well, I was attempting to move the discussion forward with my addressing of the creation menu lighting situation, but hey.

I've played some online games recently that seem to suffer from this rather odd problem, being that the character you think you made in the creator menus doesn't exactly come out how it's shown, due to the 'graphical upgrade' most games give in the creator, and these have nothing to do with the lighting.

Is PSO2 like this? I think I saw someone mention how certain outfits don't "look right" on characters past a certain height. I know some outfits in PSU were like that. I would like to know what they mean by "not look right." Are the textures stretched, or does it just look awkward, like a tall, buxom mistress in a schoolgirl skirt?

IMO pso2 outfits scaled pretty terribly to certain height characters. It's more of a proportion issue, where certain parts of the outfit didn't seem to scale correctly. For instance if part of a female outfit was designed to give a certain look to their body shape, upon making a taller female, the effect is lost or something.

Or, maybe it's that the outfit may just naturally look stupid on female characters who aren't built like 14 year old girls.

The only real issue with inconsistency is lighting. It's like in the character creator you're building your character under maximum lighting conditions, so once you end up ingame, you're instantly 6 shades darker than you originally intended. This generally means, if you want a "brown" or "lightskinned" character, you'll have to know where to be on the slider. Most likely if you try to pick the color directly on the slider, it's going to be incorrect.

Wouldn't be so much of an issue with me if all my characters wern't the same skintone. So i had the same problem every single time i made a new character. Which is bad, because the "dark" skintones on PSO2 dont look like regular human dark skintones. They look like darker skintones that have been bathed in ash.

moorebounce
Mar 29, 2012, 09:10 AM
He's 'done with me', everyone. Woe is me.

It's silly how you singled me out for being "negative" when all I was doing was disagreeing with your idea via relevant facts (PSO2 being an anime-style game; 'realistic', non-shovel [lolol] faces being out-of-place, etc.). Yet, you disregard Rock's blatant attempts to annoy you. I don't get it.

Also, did everyone see what he did there? Left the "L" out of my name to make it seem more derogatory. Pretty clever, if I do say so myself.

Why would you even bring Rock up into this? Rock is usually witty with his stuff and usually has merit. You on the other hand need to be served cheese because you're a whiner and Rock doesn't whine. That's why I didn't include Rock.

Oh and I'm sorry I forgot your "L" it was a mistake. lol

r00tabaga
Mar 29, 2012, 09:20 AM
Was any1 able to make any Eastern style eyes? I've always wanted a Japanese HUmarl and African-American RAmar.

Angelo
Mar 29, 2012, 09:23 AM
Was any1 able to make any Eastern style eyes? I've always wanted a Japanese HUmarl and African-American RAmar.

I thought they looked pretty asian by default...

But if you mean more stereotypically, then yeah, you can change the angle.

r00tabaga
Mar 29, 2012, 09:26 AM
Cool beans. Can't wait to try this demo.