PDA

View Full Version : 3/29 blog: A bit on the benchmark / character creation demo

Mike
Mar 29, 2012, 06:17 AM
The official blog (http://ameblo.jp/sega-psblog/entry-11207315770.html) was updated with info on the benchmark/character creation demo set to come out on the 5th.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R4LG4TXSx8

The demo to be distributed next week doesn't need any internet connection to run. The characters created can be saved as files to your hard disk (to the My Documents\Sega\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2 directory) which can then be loaded in to the closed beta. The character creation portion is the same character creator that will be used in the beta.

There are a few things the character creator won't be able to do in the demo though. You wont be able to select character voices or hovering/walking (if you make a cast). You'll be able to do both of these in the closed beta though.

A few new things have been added to the creator. The RAnewm/newearl costumes are now available, there are more types of human faces, and a new option has been added that lets you selectively reset any or all of the editable features on a character. Additionally, there will be new voices available in the closed beta version of the character creator.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=25767
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1789&pictureid=25766

The first pic shows off some of the new human faces. The second is the menu that lets you reset any of the edits you have made to the default setting by unchecking the box and then pressing the bottom left button. Any changes here can't be undone so think hard about if you really want to reset something. Also note the text at the bottom left. It looks like the screenshot function will be alive and kicking in this demo too.

The general scores for the benchmark were also shown. A score of under 2000 means you should turn down the graphics. A score of under 5000 means you'll be fine but may need to tune the graphics setting a bit. Anything over 5000 is great. The benchmark will give you an explanation of your score when it finishes running but in case you don't know any Japanese, you can use these as a loose guide.

And finally, there will be an official character creation contest held for everbody, even those people who aren't interesting in playing! I'm sure there will be more details announced later.

Zaix
Mar 29, 2012, 06:21 AM
Sounds good. Thanks for the info Mike!

Hmmm, wonder what this contest will be and what kinds of rewards are offered.

Dragwind
Mar 29, 2012, 07:40 AM
Well this is an interesting direction. I wonder what kind of "prizes" the contest will have.

rezakon
Mar 29, 2012, 08:00 AM
Any bets on who posts the first "IT"S OVER 9000!"?

LeoTheFabulous
Mar 29, 2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the info!

I'm also curious as to what the prizes will be...

In-game exclusive items or maybe something more physical?

Arika
Mar 29, 2012, 09:07 AM
Prize : make it into official NPC (may be)

Ce'Nedra
Mar 29, 2012, 09:19 AM
What is this Benchmark thingy Mike? Also where will we be able to download that demo? If i don't get in the beta at all i can at least spend hours drooling over my PSO2 chars till the game arrives ^^;

r00tabaga
Mar 29, 2012, 09:24 AM
Benchmark is how well your PC can run PSO2. The higher the better. You will need to tone down your settings if under X.

moorebounce
Mar 29, 2012, 09:31 AM
Man next week huh? Time is flying fast. At least if I can't get into the closed beta I'll be a pro at creating characters lol.

D-Inferno
Mar 29, 2012, 09:58 AM
This is for beta users only, right, or is it actually public (this is completely offline after all).

Yuufa-san
Mar 29, 2012, 10:04 AM
As far as I understood, everyone can download this demo, therefore you mustn't be a beta user.

Anyway, I look forward to this! I simply love to customize my character~! :3~ It's so much fun~!

Faiyez
Mar 29, 2012, 10:10 AM
It's so great that Sega actually followed the suggestions to put this demo out. This will surely give everyone enough time to create some interesting and very neat characters rather than rushing into the game for the Beta.

youcantcatchtheblue
Mar 29, 2012, 10:26 AM
lmao I like how they showed a score of 795 in the video....... maybe advertising that it runs on low-end PCs??

Ark22
Mar 29, 2012, 10:36 AM
I hope mine gets past 500 at this point :'(

Cayenne
Mar 29, 2012, 10:42 AM
I wished I cared enough to make a character with no game to play right after.

*waits for next update*

Ark22
Mar 29, 2012, 10:53 AM
Oh and I found this for measuring your PC's benchmark.

If your score is less than 2000, it is advised you change graphical settings so that there isn’t so much of a load on your system.

2001 to 5000: Your game runs well in this setting, however if you are near the edge of this score, it’s recommended you change some settings.

Higher: Your game works beautifully!

^Thank Richardo for that on http://bumped.org/psublog/.

Since that PC got below 700 I guess they are saying "HEY, your PC sucks? No worries, just tone it the f*** down and you will be tearing shiz up like a boss with PSO graphics."

Cayenne
Mar 29, 2012, 10:55 AM
That's in the first post...

Ark22
Mar 29, 2012, 11:02 AM
=) Well just in case they skip over it.

AnnabellaRenee87
Mar 29, 2012, 01:15 PM
Any bets on who posts the first "IT"S OVER 9000!"?

If my system doesn't get over 9K then this is the Crysis of JMMORPGs

(see specs below, in sig)

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 01:16 PM
Tomorrow he'll be discussing CBT features ehn...

Zyrusticae
Mar 29, 2012, 01:20 PM
If my system doesn't get over 9K then this is the Crysis of JMMORPGs

(see specs below, in sig)
Daaayyuuum.

I'm hoping to break 9k with my system, myself. Two GTX 560s in SLI and an uber Core i5 overclocked to 4.5GHz should help to push me there.

Of course, this should be done with maximum settings, otherwise someone could just cheat and minimize the settings and claim to have an over 9k score! :p

DayDreamer
Mar 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
Hopefully buying my new gfx card wasn't a waste. I got it mainly for steam but I had pso2 in mind the whole time.

AnnabellaRenee87
Mar 29, 2012, 01:23 PM
Daaayyuuum.

I'm hoping to break 9k with my system, myself. Two GTX 560s in SLI and an uber Core i5 overclocked to 4.5GHz should help to push me there.

Of course, this should be done with maximum settings, otherwise someone could just cheat and minimize the settings and claim to have an over 9k score! :p

:P I'll post screenshots once it comes out, may install Fraps to do a video of it.

This should be a friendly competition :D

buri-chan
Mar 29, 2012, 01:32 PM
Hopefully the prize is either in-game or online, or else us not-Japanese people'll get nothing. Hell, we're probably null for it anyways unless Sega decides to finally start advertising the game to the west. My computer should handle at least medium settings just fine, even if it is a couple years old. It just really hurts to see the card you shelled out for years ago listed closer and closer to minimum req.

Reia
Mar 29, 2012, 01:55 PM
I have no expectation mine can run on max setting on 1650x1050 but sure it can run on Medium, but if the game official release take more than 4 months surely I will buy something overkill for this game.

Dinosaur
Mar 29, 2012, 04:55 PM
The benchmark itself looks cheap and embarrassing...

Xaeris
Mar 29, 2012, 05:14 PM
Next week can't get here fast enough.

Xenobia
Mar 29, 2012, 05:21 PM
Daaayyuuum.

SLI isnt necessarely supported, but even a single of those GPUs will probably go above 5000... (at OC and 448 version). The 4.5 Ghz I5 is probably totaly overkill.

In term someone is claiming, it doesnt help them to have a fun game... cheating themself, only a few people would.

Im currently using a 6950, it should break through the max settings easely. Its a average priced mid range Gamer-GPU and not truly expensive, but totaly sufficient to have smooth gameplay experience. The benchmark indeed can be useful to check out how other systems might compare. The min requirement says very few, more important to have a real benchmark of a given spec. Then its much easyer to compare with other possibilitys and theyr needs. I dont think that PSO2 is truly hardware hungry, its in the average level of newly developed games and there is already GPUs around (7950/7970 or [670]/680) who could take it single handed but those stuff is way to expensive and not required at all, a waste of power and shiny coins.

Clearly have to be said, its probably more of a benchmark than a demo. A demo (in my mind) is at least a few levels to play and a good "first view", while a benchmark offers close to nothing apart from the score. Right now i dunno what kind of stuff is truly inside, so... surprise? More than just a grain of salt have to be eaten in order to match the slightly uncomfortable feeling that they, as usual, only support the JP market. So im not sure if i would show interest into a non JP version in term we have another environment of splitted servers, because other versions at constant disadvantage.

Cephei Mordred
Mar 29, 2012, 11:18 PM
Okay...I was hopeful that my gt240 would put me ahead of the game but it almost appears like the 8800 and 9600 are better than that in almost every way.

My computer is pretty good in every other respect, though.

I don't have to max it out, as long as I can run it decently with good looking settings.

astronautcowboy
Mar 30, 2012, 12:06 AM
I still can't get over how much the default HUmar looks like the actor that played Burai in Casshern.

NoiseHERO
Mar 30, 2012, 12:09 AM
I still can't get over how much the default HUmar looks like the actor that played Burai in Casshern.

I made that Casshern in PSU...

Not sure if I like Megaman looking Casshern better...

/Saw that movie before the 70's anime, and saw that before taksunoko vs capcom reminded the world that those character even existed.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 30, 2012, 01:06 AM
The benchmark itself looks cheap and embarrassing...
???
SLI isnt necessarely supported, but even a single of those GPUs will probably go above 5000... (at OC and 448 version). The 4.5 Ghz I5 is probably totaly overkill.
I'm willing to bet SLI won't be supported. And an overclocked i5 is not probably overkill. It is overkill.
[...]and there is already GPUs around (7950/7970 or [670]/680) who could take it single handed but those stuff is way to expensive and not required at all, a waste of power and shiny coins.
It's more than PSO2 can take advantage of, sure, but that doesn't make them a waste.
Clearly have to be said, its probably more of a benchmark than a demo. A demo (in my mind) is at least a few levels to play and a good "first view", while a benchmark offers close to nothing apart from the score.
... Huh? Who said it's anything but a benchmark? But of course the character creation demo part is a demo.
Like I said, I'm willing to bet SLI isn't supported and you'll be running off a single 560. Which will still do great, of course. Probably not as great as my overclocked 6950 2GB with unlocked shaders paired with a similarly clocked i5... bwahaha. >=)
I'm not sure the benchmark will let you change the settings; the point system seems to be to tell you what graphics settings your system can handle, and it'd be difficult to do that unless it ran at standardized settings. 'Course, if you can run it at different settings, then you have to post your settings in addition to your score. A score without settings would be meaningless.

Sixoul
Mar 30, 2012, 01:59 AM
People do realize they did this with PSU as well, had a character creation demo before the game came out. Except you couldn't import it into the full game. So they've improved upon their ideas, which is always a good sign.

BIG OLAF
Mar 30, 2012, 02:05 AM
Look at all the peeps flapping their SOOPAH-POWAH'D PC specs around. Derp.

Who cares? As long as the game runs smoothly.

Cephei Mordred
Mar 30, 2012, 02:18 AM

Well, improved performance can make for a more interesting experience.

Recently I upgraded to a 1600x900 LED monitor, the difference between that and 1024x768 CRT was like night and day.

AnnabellaRenee87
Mar 30, 2012, 09:31 AM
Benchmarking can be fun, I run my 990X i7 at 4.2 for day to day task and gaming but when ever I want to bench I go to 5 GHz. Will you notice a difference in day to day task? No. Will you notice on games? Maybe. Will you notice on video encoding? Yes, if your doing it on the CPU.
Something that I have noticed not mentioned anywhere on here yet is CPU Bottleneck. When you run SLi you HAVE TO overclock your CPU 90% of the time the cards need to be supplied with yummy data and if your CPU is running at 2.4 GHz and you have 3 GPUs your starving the GPUs and thus pull your overall FPS down.

I frquent the EVGA forums (http://www.evga.com/forums/) and most of the threads there are for trying to squeeze a few more FPS out of PCs. If your insane/crazy you can check out the Kingpin forums (http://kingpincooling.com/forum/index.php) and watch as people pour LN2 (liquid nitrogen) in a pot that's mounted on a CPU/GPU/Chip set and try to get benchmark/overclocking records.

I know I may have rambled a little here but benchmarks are fun as long as you know what your doing.

xBladeM6x
Mar 30, 2012, 12:10 PM
I'm looking forward to this because I'm about 70% sure my computer cannot run this even at minimum settings. In which case, I don't think suicide is unreasonable. >.>

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 12:33 PM
I got a laptop...that I pray that can hit 1,000. WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Xenobia
Mar 30, 2012, 03:28 PM
Okay...I was hopeful that my gt240 would put me ahead of the game but it almost appears like the 8800 and 9600 are better than that in almost every way.

My computer is pretty good in every other respect, though.

I don't have to max it out, as long as I can run it decently with good looking settings.

The 240 GT got a 128 bit interface only which is kinda not a good deal for gamer GPUs. So, your guessing of having a weaker card than 8800GT/9600GT is correct. Finally coming very close to the minimum specs, if you can play it... probably lowest settings.

Zyrusticae
Mar 30, 2012, 03:43 PM
Like I said, I'm willing to bet SLI isn't supported and you'll be running off a single 560. Which will still do great, of course. Probably not as great as my overclocked 6950 2GB with unlocked shaders paired with a similarly clocked i5... bwahaha. >=)
Well, something you (and most people) probably don't know is that I can force a standardized alternate frame rendering mode for any game that hasn't had a specific compatibility mode built for SLI. The performance increase is not nearly as great, of course (some games built for SLI get a near-100% FPS increase!), but it still works.

And I get to look forward to an even greater level of performance when they do make a profile for PSO2... ;-)

Cephei Mordred
Mar 30, 2012, 03:51 PM
The 240 GT got a 128 bit interface only which is kinda not a good deal for gamer GPUs. So, your guessing of having a weaker card than 8800GT/9600GT is correct. Finally coming very close to the minimum specs, if you can play it... probably lowest settings.

Though, according to this one benchmark site I found, the 240 still ranks a bit better then the 7800, which is the minimum card needed.

Shadownami92
Mar 30, 2012, 07:10 PM
It's good to hear if 7800 is the minimum, should mean my 9600GT will work to run the game. I mean I plan on building a new computer anyways (have to with the work I do.)

But that means this computer can be used by my brother so we can both play :D

RadiantLegend
Mar 30, 2012, 07:14 PM
Above 5k huh, lets see what this minature pc can do. >_<;

kyuuketsuki
Mar 30, 2012, 10:27 PM

Obviously we do. Nice to know you can't have a bit of fun with other people who share your interests without getting insulted, though. Thanks for that.

BIG OLAF
Mar 30, 2012, 10:34 PM
Oh, you're welcome. Any time.

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 10:50 PM
He just needs a hug, that's all.

kyuuketsuki
Mar 30, 2012, 10:52 PM
He just needs a hug, that's all.
;.; S/he... *sniff* ... made fun of... *sniff* ... the computer nerds... *lip quiver*

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 11:26 PM
;.; S/he... *sniff* ... made fun of... *sniff* ... the computer nerds... *lip quiver*

D= Ah man, it's ok...it's ok man. Ark is here x) *hugs*. Don't get your processor all heated up over this. I will be the fan that helps you cool off =D.

But seriously, I hope my Laptop can go over 1000

Xenobia
Apr 2, 2012, 02:23 PM
It's good to hear if 7800 is the minimum, should mean my 9600GT will work to run the game. I mean I plan on building a new computer anyways (have to with the work I do.)

But that means this computer can be used by my brother so we can both play :D

I dont want to demoralize stuff, however, rather crunch you in advance than having huge tears after. I would take something more solid, minimum specs doesnt generally mean its playable. It will mean it is playable using so many tears that those using it will probably dehydrate. ^^;

You could get a GTX 550 TI (Fermi) (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125410) or Radeon 7770 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161402) for like 125-150$ and it should work fine!

Or you can get 560 GTX (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134137) or 6870 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948) both are faster than the previous 2. but they cost more, ~180$, produce more heat and need much more power. Performance is way better than what PSO2 would require (for average settings), so its not necessarely needed.

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 2, 2012, 02:34 PM
I doubt my current laptop will be able to run at minimum requirement but if I can ill surely play it *even with slightly hindered performance* until I get my new laptop

Xenobia
Apr 2, 2012, 04:17 PM
Well, any info about release of that bench? Isnt out yet? Between 2. and 7. they say?

Then i finally could tell what goes and what not. Actually i hate benches because they dont usualy allow me to try out and fully adust settings. It depends on bench however.
A bench can never fully replace a ingame test, i do need to get a feeling about the engine and how it does react, thats hard using a bench. Then have to measure load and usage value of components under countless situations, more than just getting a score.

For example the FF14 bench. The bench was totaly sufficient when i passed it on a old PC. But then, as soon as i entered citys, my old C2D was simply on the weak side and i had a very juddery gameplay (probably 5-10 FPS in city all because of the CPU!) and it was a pain in the bottom to even walk through the city. The bench has passed successfully, but the bench was easy to handle for the CPU, the ingame city however, was not. They said any C2D above 2 Ghz is fine for minimum specs, and i did even OC my C2D to higher clocks; But it was simply not fine at all. Minimum specs are nothing more than a "emergency use" but never sufficient.

Cephei Mordred
Apr 2, 2012, 04:44 PM
I dont want to demoralize stuff, however, rather crunch you in advance than having huge tears after. I would take something more solid, minimum specs doesnt generally mean its playable. It will mean it is playable using so many tears that those using it will probably dehydrate. ^^;

You could get a GTX 550 TI (Fermi) (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125410) or Radeon 7770 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161402) for like 125-150$ and it should work fine!

Or you can get 560 GTX (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814134137) or 6870 (http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102948) both are faster than the previous 2. but they cost more, ~180$, produce more heat and need much more power. Performance is way better than what PSO2 would require (for average settings), so its not necessarely needed.

This isn't about money, this is about me using a prebuilt dell with a shitty power supply. I didn't have an entire say in getting it, either.

Anyway, Even the minimum setting seems awesome so I'm not going to complain if that's all I can get.

EDIT: I looked up the 7770, and it looks like it's far better than the 240 for only slightly more wattage. I'll keep it in mind, but I still hold out hope that the 240 will suit my needs, as I'm doing just fine with it on WoW, Aion, Tera, and to a lesser degree, FF14.

Xenobia
Apr 2, 2012, 04:45 PM
Oh, the 7770 only need 80W, no need for strong PSU, 400W is sufficient (when good quality, a 300W can do it). And it will have much harder punch than the 9600. I do run a OC 6950 on a 500W supply, absolutly no problem. A good 500W PSU can even handle a 7970 or a 680 GTX, its actually the smallest PSU available for gamer (with the exception of worse OEM trash). OEM is usualy pain in the... you know what i mean... i do never recommend. Usualy there is always some helpful person who can help someone to build a custom PC. More power for lesser cash.

So you using your brothers? Well, good luck, you gonna need it.

Tetsaru
Apr 2, 2012, 04:54 PM
For example the FF14 bench. The bench was totaly sufficient when i passed it on a old PC. But then, as soon as i entered citys, my old C2D was simply on the weak side and i had a very juddery gameplay (probably 5-10 FPS in city all because of the CPU!) and it was a pain in the bottom to even walk through the city. The bench has passed successfully, but the bench was easy to handle for the CPU, the ingame city however, was not. They said any C2D above 2 Ghz is fine for minimum specs, and i did even OC my C2D to higher clocks; But it was simply not fine at all. Minimum specs are nothing more than a "emergency use" but never sufficient.

Keep in mind, FF14 wasn't optimized very well, and I've also heard from some linkshell members that it is currently running on older servers that were used for FF11, hence why they'll be using a different graphics engine and newer servers in the 2.0 update. Even with my new PC's Intel i5-2500K CPU and GTX 560 Ti GPU, I still get choppy framerates while running around in Ul'dah on occasion, usually when I first log in. Of course, most of the game's population resides there, and the recent server-merging didn't help either, lol...

Xenobia
Apr 2, 2012, 05:03 PM
Hmm, wow... i didnt know. Crazy... yeah. But who can give me the warranty that PSO2 isnt the same kind of hardware leecher with bad tuning? Well, alpha testers so far didnt complain, so, i guess PSO2 will be stick to its saying, at least way more accurate than stuff such as FF14. But who knows what kind of stuff alpha testers been using, they probably didnt run old junk. The good thing for PSO2 is that it been developed for PC since day 1 which was not the case for PSU.

All i can say for now is, that this time, my CPU wont be to weak, it never will be to weak ever again. In the past i paid to less attention to it and got many performance issues, so im kinda a burned chield and from now on i always use overpowered CPUs.

DerpiestShazbot
Apr 2, 2012, 05:15 PM
You think there will be a specific shortcut-code attributed to to your unique character similar to the character creator in Mass Effect?

There's more customizable options now more than ever and it will a bit of a pain to perfectly recreate your character from the beta once the full game comes out.

Xenobia
Apr 2, 2012, 05:24 PM
Pretty much keeping my mind off that subject. Im not even sure i get into beta, it would rather be a surprise. I dont expect to win stuff because when i put a demand then it will just always be unnecessary mental stress and even a displeasure when it doesnt go that way. Finally, i dont care how it turns out, in term i get into beta i certainly would not care to start all over again if it have to be. Considering my new experience i will be much faster than non beta users and i already got a advantage.

Mike
Apr 2, 2012, 07:12 PM
You think there will be a specific shortcut-code attributed to to your unique character similar to the character creator in Mass Effect?
You can save your character to a file and will likely be able to use that file in the full version of the game.

Shadownami92
Apr 2, 2012, 07:49 PM

Yeah, I know about graphics cards and all that, but as stated before I am building a new computer that's where all of my money is going, all of it.

I don't have a job that really pays currently so it's not like I have an extra $180 lying around for an old computer, when even with that graphics card, I will still bottleneck on the RAM and CPU.

Not to mention I would probably need to get a new power supply as well considering the computer I currently have started out with a 7600 geforce or something back 6 or so years ago.

So currently I have a plan to build 1 computer that will do more than enough to run this game. I just don't have enough money to practically build a second one, even on a budget since I do know how to build a pretty cheap gaming computer.

I'm just saying that if I could run the game with my 9600GT on my current desktop computer that it WOULD be great because that would mean my brother and I could play together without having to wait and save up more money for more parts.

Xenobia
Apr 3, 2012, 03:59 AM
Ok, seems no other option. Im actually glad that PSO2 is F2P, that certainly helps a lot for people not on the bright side of the wealth.

Well i think, after some studying, there is better options (performance related) for about 50$ on Ebay, however, its hard to make them match a weak OEM PSU (?), so im not sure its of any use. OEM PCs usualy are build with minimum PSU required in order to match a ... rather crappy GPU (which usualy got lower TDP). And then they become close to impossible to place any truly cheap upgrade on them (such as a outdated gamer card of strong type from auctions house), unless you get new super power saver stuff such as the 7770 is capable to. But new hardware is never cheap. So its actually impossible.

To give accurate answer about possibility, detailed specs have to be known, however.

Besides, cant generelly say about bottleneck of parts, it totaly depends on software use and it can even vary dependable on the given location. Not a easy matter. Games generally making heavy use of GPUs, and a GPU in almost any term can improve matters.