PDA

View Full Version : A question about names

DayDreamer
Mar 29, 2012, 04:16 PM
When you name your character, are you the only person who can have that name?
Or is it like psp2 for example, where multiple people can have the same name.

Zaix
Mar 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
When you first sign in, you enter a unique account name. This name shows up on partner cards and your room and stuff.

Character names can be whatever you want. They are not unique. They can be the same as your account name.

(Do not confuse Account name and SEGA ID)

Reia
Mar 29, 2012, 04:18 PM
When you name your character, are you the only person who can have that name?
Or is it like psp2 for example, where multiple people can have the same name.

You can have the same name of other people, but you wont get a whisper function, you'll have a Player ID based on the account you possess thought and you will need to add that person to your friendlist in order to privately talk via private messaging.

The Good thing: You can have the name you like.

The Bad Thing: Many trolls know how to replicate a character and will pretend to be you and do bad things like hacking or trolling so you can take big blames of something you didn't do, for example Razor, a Regular Player which a hacker decided to imposter him and hacked tons of rooms in PSU EN during the ends of 1.X era, I know that because I was friend of Razor on the first month and the hacker and the real didn't match IDs and I was the one reporting the hacker's ID and got him banned, but the real Razor refused to change character and was kept being accussed of being the hacker even up to the ends of the AotI server closedown. I personally got some few impostors in PSU JP trolling and saying non-sense after I left.

LeoTheFabulous
Mar 29, 2012, 04:24 PM
While were on the subject of names, what was the character limit of names in the 2nd alpha?

DayDreamer
Mar 29, 2012, 04:26 PM
You can have the same name of other people, but you wont get a whisper function, you'll have a Player ID based on the account you possess thought and you will need to add that person to your friendlist in order to privately talk via private messaging.

The Bad Thing: Many trolls know how to replicate a character and will pretend to be you and do bad things like hacking or trolling so you can take big blames of something you didn't do, for example Razor, a Regular Player which a hacker decided to imposter him and hacked tons of rooms in PSU EN during the ends of 1.X era, I know that because I was friend of Razor on the first month and the hacker and the real didn't match IDs and I was the one reporting the hacker's ID and got him banned, but the real Razor refused to change character and was kept being accussed of being the hacker even up to the ends of the AotI server closedown. I personally got some few impostors in PSU JP trolling and saying non-sense after I left.
Thats stinks :/
I don't know how people find satisfaction out of that e- e

Thank you all for answering my question :>

Reia
Mar 29, 2012, 04:26 PM
While were on the subject of names, what was the character limit of names in the 2nd alpha?

I was wondering that too, if the character limit reduces to 16 Japanese Characters / 32 English alphanumeric characters or it was shorter.

Remius
Mar 29, 2012, 04:39 PM

the frequency of cases like that have got to be low...like, abysmally low.

This is the first i've heard of such an issue. You have to really be dedicated to trolling to go that far.

LeoTheFabulous
Mar 29, 2012, 04:42 PM
You have to really be dedicated to trolling to go that far.

With such dedication you have to wonder whether you would view their actions with anger or fascination.

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 04:45 PM

LOL I have the REAL hacker razor on my MSN I used to watch him "fly" around and shoot rapid glitch foies, plowing through mobs of monsters as I cringed. He's had that name since day 1. Unless the hacker razor lied to you saying he had an evil twin that did it. Your friend probably just got caught up in a coincidence.

Doesn't matter, he got banned anyway.

The worse thing you could really do is let a hacker on to your account, even if he's your friend and didn't do any hacking on the account, you may get banned anyway.

Griffin
Mar 29, 2012, 05:41 PM
It's a shame it's like that, but I've gotten used to it in Champions Online where you are only unique by a global handle, not character.

Zaix
Mar 29, 2012, 05:59 PM

Using English characters, 15 was the max from my testing.

LeoTheFabulous
Mar 29, 2012, 06:05 PM
Using English characters, 15 was the max from my testing.

I see, Thanks for the info!

Mitz
Mar 29, 2012, 07:10 PM
A ton of alt-code characters are allowed for names as well, for those interested.