PDA

View Full Version : PVP in PSO2?

DerpiestShazbot
Mar 29, 2012, 10:38 PM
Has there been any word or discoveries on a potential PVP mode in PSO2?

I really hope there will be some sort of competitive mode. Grinding and progressing your character doesn't always feel the same (or even worth it in my opinion) if you can't at least show it off by fighting other players who have done the same.

Dinosaur
Mar 29, 2012, 10:39 PM
It is currently under consideration and will not be available on release.

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 10:49 PM
Here's the story...

SEGA: "We might consider putting PVP in this game if we release this game in Korea..."
Fans: "Whuh?
SEGA after the Alpha test: "Hay guys whaddaya think about PVP?"
Fans: "Whuh?" *2% for votes of interest compared to everything else the asked about*
SEGA: "You guys sure you don't want PVP?"
Fans: "MAKE THE QUESTS SHORTER!"

My answer to the thread is... Maybe.

Griffin
Mar 29, 2012, 10:51 PM
If PVP happens, we can expect the Pay-To-Win debate to rise like Terminators.

Vashyron
Mar 29, 2012, 10:53 PM
To actually also be in some way "competitive," they'd have to design it so it wouldn't be a joke of a unbalanced mess.

As far as competition is concerned I'd like something like Challenge mode where everyone starts on equal footing, to do well it relies heavily on skill rather than having a large chunk being who has the best equips.

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 10:54 PM
^

No we're not starting that negative assumption crap up again AND adding in the apparently "INEVITABLE" pay to win (In a game where there's nothing to "win") argument.

Obviously they'll do like all the other Phantasy Star's PVP modes and strip you of your levels and equipment and give you default stuff. D<

Well if they were considering Koreans who knows.. But that's still what's more likely.

Damn it starfox don't ninja post me, this is serious! D< I'm talkin' to poster number 4 over here!

Rizen
Mar 29, 2012, 11:00 PM
As long as the PVP is geared more towards objectives rather than pure PK based, it can be enjoyable. Of course, an option for deathmatch wouldn't hurt either...I'm sure people will make guns only matches to mimic FPS/TPS games...lol

Reia
Mar 29, 2012, 11:05 PM
Most likely it will be like challenge and battle mode where you start with a set LV and gear and PAs, you wont use your current avatar power.

Griffin
Mar 29, 2012, 11:07 PM
What about races? Whether it's Time Attack or an actual race with Air Boards?

eclipsXe
Mar 29, 2012, 11:08 PM
To actually also be in some way "competitive," they'd have to design it so it wouldn't be a joke of a unbalanced mess.

As far as competition is concerned I'd like something like Challenge mode where everyone starts on equal footing, to do well it relies heavily on skill rather than having a large chunk being who has the best equips.

Thus right here! PSP2 tried to do it lol

Ark22
Mar 29, 2012, 11:10 PM
PSO had the right idea until gifoie was annoying.

•Col•
Mar 29, 2012, 11:16 PM
They could make some pretty cool modes for PVP...

4 teams of 3 people(1 Hunter/Ranger/Force per team)... Put them all in a giant arena, like inside the Dome in episode 1 or something like that... Then spawn a bunch of enemies inside. Team with the most kills win. You can go annoy another team and attack them, but you'll be costing your own team monster kills. I dunno.

Rizen
Mar 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
That wouldn't be such a bad idea...take KSing to a new level.

Ark22
Mar 29, 2012, 11:37 PM
In that case PA spam for AOE effects

Rizen
Mar 29, 2012, 11:39 PM
That's been the story of Phantasy Star since PSU...lol

NoiseHERO
Mar 29, 2012, 11:41 PM
NOpe.

It's currently, strictly blade destruction.

DerpiestShazbot
Mar 30, 2012, 12:11 AM
They could make some pretty cool modes for PVP...

4 teams of 3 people(1 Hunter/Ranger/Force per team)... Put them all in a giant arena, like inside the Dome in episode 1 or something like that... Then spawn a bunch of enemies inside. Team with the most kills win. You can go annoy another team and attack them, but you'll be costing your own team monster kills. I dunno.

I like this idea.

I remember reading someone having an idea for a Capture the Flag type PVP mode for PSO2. Not exactly sure if that would work out but still sounds interesting.

r00tabaga
Mar 30, 2012, 12:13 AM
Capture The Flag would be cool.... CASTS all day!

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 12:30 AM
If they design the game for actual PvP, i pray to GOD they dont take tips from the damn korean gamers.

Their idea of a "good game" is a twitchy mess of ridiculous inputs and physics state screwovers. Gunz Online is a wonderful example of this. They should design the game around very simple Rock-Paper-Scissors balancing with weapon properties and damage. Stage-dropped discs and such for advancement, and environment gimmicks and use of terrain to keep it fresh and add some strategy.

No matter WHAT they do, it'll probably just be an all-out brawl. After a while, a few smart players will start min/maxing strategies, and the meta will be formed. From THAT point Sega would need to balance the game and change it to the point where it was fair and unexploitable.

You know, after playing the alpha, i think it wont be as bad as people think it'll be. Forces would definitely OHKO anyone fairly quickly with Techniques, but their issue comes from their stamina. Rangers can hit you from ridiculous distances, but they aren't very powerful and 2/3 of their Photon Arts (Rocket, Pierceshot) can be dodged pretty easy with Dodge Roll/Mirage Escape. Hunters would definitely melt faces up close with a full charge meter, but they have no good means of closing distance between someone shooting rockets and lightning at them...but the most important aspect of them is that they're the only class in the game right now capable of blocking.

So hunters would probably out-last anyone on the battle field since they can Guard, Step and have high defense. Rangers would probably be the most versatile, picking off the weakest ones or weakening enemies with traps/Stun Grenades/ status ammo. Forces would simply be killing whoever they could catch in sight until they get caught and murdered in one combo.

Saotome Kaneda
Mar 30, 2012, 12:43 AM
PSO had the right idea until gifoie was annoying.

Pretty sure PSO battle mode went: Zonde(all) = Grants(if a FO) > Megid(FO) > Razonde > Rabarta > Gifoie

Not counting J/Z whenever you see anyone. I dunno what your hard-on about Gifoie is, but it's not as OP as you'd like to say it is.

Cayenne
Mar 30, 2012, 12:47 AM
If you don't want to wait for this thread to hit 10+ pages, you can read it now:

PvP thread.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192063&highlight=PvP

Pretty much the same thing being talked about here but a few months old.

NoiseHERO
Mar 30, 2012, 12:48 AM
If they design the game for actual PvP, i pray to GOD they dont take tips from the damn korean gamers.

Their idea of a "good game" is a twitchy mess of ridiculous inputs and physics state screwovers. Gunz Online is a wonderful example of this. They should design the game around very simple Rock-Paper-Scissors balancing with weapon properties and damage. Stage-dropped discs and such for advancement, and environment gimmicks and use of terrain to keep it fresh and add some strategy.

No matter WHAT they do, it'll probably just be an all-out brawl. After a while, a few smart players will start min/maxing strategies, and the meta will be formed. From THAT point Sega would need to balance the game and change it to the point where it was fair and unexploitable.

You know, after playing the alpha, i think it wont be as bad as people think it'll be. Forces would definitely OHKO anyone fairly quickly with Techniques, but their issue comes from their stamina. Rangers can hit you from ridiculous distances, but they aren't very powerful and 2/3 of their Photon Arts (Rocket, Pierceshot) can be dodged pretty easy with Dodge Roll/Mirage Escape. Hunters would definitely melt faces up close with a full charge meter, but they have no good means of closing distance between someone shooting rockets and lightning at them...but the most important aspect of them is that they're the only class in the game right now capable of blocking.

So hunters would probably out-last anyone on the battle field since they can Guard, Step and have high defense. Rangers would probably be the most versatile, picking off the weakest ones or weakening enemies with traps/Stun Grenades/ status ammo. Forces would simply be killing whoever they could catch in sight until they get caught and murdered in one combo.

Reminds me of FEZ...

Every class/build has that ONE overpowered move/strategy/trump card...

That WILL be spammed.

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 12:48 AM
Grants = broken

Zonde = Trolling with broken range

Gifoie = Seizure Trolling....but it wasn't going to kill anyone.

Reminds me of FEZ...

Every class/build has that ONE overpowered move/strategy/trump card...

That WILL be spammed.

Yeah, i think that's the way it'll be. Probably the way it SHOULD be.

Currently most of the abilities are quite situational. Gunslash is vanilla, Sword pretty much wrecks anything in your way but has range issues, Wired Lance can close distances and has a very wide radius. Rifle does everything.

Wired Lance is DEFINITELY op because its grab attack does way more collateral damage than it should. Rifles...i dont think they'd be very OP unless the player was standing completely still.

You could probably jump/dodge/block on reaction to any Ranger Photon Art because they load the ammo first...but they can use Traps, Stun Grenades, and Weakening shot (which is NO joke), and get higher damage from headshots.

Forces...well, i didn't fear SHIT with a full PP bar, because my force was a monster. But in the event something hits you....yeah, it's going to hurt. In a PvP situation, you're probably going to die. Uncharged resta is pretty shitty, charged resta is >OP< but can be interrupted, and both of them take precious PP that you need to attack. Charged techniques are no joke. Neither is Burn, Freeze or Shock.

Macman
Mar 30, 2012, 12:57 AM
Froozer spam.

Megid everyone.

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 01:07 AM
Pretty sure PSO battle mode went: Zonde(all) = Grants(if a FO) > Megid(FO) > Razonde > Rabarta > Gifoie

Not counting J/Z whenever you see anyone. I dunno what your hard-on about Gifoie is, but it's not as OP as you'd like to say it is.

I love gifoie sooooooooooooooooo much just hearing it give me a hard-on. But besides that what made it op was USE IT, they fall, run back, use it again, repeat.

NoiseHERO
Mar 30, 2012, 01:13 AM
Is gifore the spirit bomb tech?

That tech made me fall in love with force PSO...

> "Ugh I just chose Fomar cause he had a cool hairstyle"
> "These techs feel lame cept for these cool zappy ones.."
/Unlocks nuke foie
/Starts blowing up mobs
>"YEEEEEEAAAAAHHH BITCHESSSSS!!!!!!!!

And I guess I'll be a hypocrite and rag on PSU for not being PSO, since people always rag on PSU for not being PSO.
>"The hell all the techs are the same? and I gotta level em 30 times before they look cool? Screw that..."
/Melee ninja PA spams instead

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 01:20 AM
no no, Rafoie is the *gets level 21+* OH SHIZ NUKES EXPLOSION PLUS EPIC SHZHZZMMMM SOUND?!?!?! Yeah good times.

NoiseHERO
Mar 30, 2012, 01:22 AM
no no, Rafoie is the *gets level 21+* OH SHIZ NUKES EXPLOSION PLUS EPIC SHZHZZMMMM SOUND?!?!?! Yeah good times.

I see...

Well screw gifoie then! D<

Real men spam rafoie!

/Insert anime surprise sparkle shine chrono trigger magic sound effect rafoie makes

Ark22
Mar 30, 2012, 01:24 AM
You just went on my hate list.......

NoiseHERO
Mar 30, 2012, 01:25 AM
You just went on my hate list.......

Yeah?

Well you're on my gifoie sucks list! D<

/spirit bombs your cereal

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 01:27 AM
Gifoie spam was for lazy people. Rafoie nuke was for rich newmans with trifluids.

PSU's spells looked awesome...they just had too few transitions between changes and none of them were a FRACTION of useful or powerful as their special effects were. If Lv50 Rafoie looked like that in PSO? It'd probably damage the whole block.

Of course you could have been a BOSS like me and ran up with the Damfoie spam shouting naruto quotes like a quee- i mean nerd

youcantcatchtheblue
Mar 30, 2012, 01:40 AM
I can see it all....

PSO2 turns into Call of Duty:
everyone uses Ranger - fans request FPS mode
headshots and kill-cams everywhere
people get called "cheap" for using lock-on feature

Definitely where this is going. yup.

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 02:09 AM
They should DEFINITELY add an FPS mode to PSO2 for PVP so blindsiding the idiots would be that much easier.

•Col•
Mar 30, 2012, 03:08 AM
They should DEFINITELY add an FPS mode to PSO2 for PVP so blindsiding the idiots would be that much easier.

OSHI-

Anyone else remember that laser tag map in PSO's Battle Mode? Well redo that in PSO2, then have everyone start with a gunslash and are forced to stay in TPS mode for the entire match. Lulz will be had.

Remius
Mar 30, 2012, 03:46 AM
You mean spaceship?

.......yeaaaahh. That'd actually be pretty lulzy. And by Lulzy i mean freaking awesome

MelancholyWitch
Mar 30, 2012, 04:02 AM
Not sure what the hate about Korean gamers giving tips is all about one of the best PVP games known to exist WAS Lineage 2 (keyword was.) At the beginning this sort of play style was very competitive requiring good thought out strategies and reflexes in order to win.

I'd like to at least see PvP in the Open beta let's hope there's some questionnaire thing similar to the alpha tests and for all those who are strongly against it just please consider at least answering in the questionnaire that PvP should be a must have! especially for something that's F2P it's really going to make things more interesting and for all you PvE loving people you can avoid the PvP thankfully for you games like Lineage 2 aren't being made at all anymore so you wont get ass hurt when someone comes by and kills you randomly.

If they do implement it, the PvP will most surely not be forced so just please consider the possibility of making other people who already enjoy the game as it is even more enjoyable for them, like myself regardless I will still play PSO2 I just wish PvP will be implemented for the hard core gamers such as myself that don't just get off by fighting monsters or hanging out on the 4th floor of PSU, it's a game after all not a chat room, and like EVERY game there should be competition to it, even board games have some form of competition (PvP) to it.

I'd really like to see something like PSO battle mode, but with team set up or other objectives, I miss being able to play in spaceship with other people despite the many fixes needed & unbalance issues battle mode was still fun to me although I'd really like to see PvP forced onto players in PSO2 like having random interrupt events with multiparty would be really fun, random 4v4v4 anyone? but I'm sure that wont happen since lots of people hate competition on here for some reason. Let's just be hopeful! The game looks amazing already PvP would only add to the greatness that is PSO2.

Angelo
Mar 30, 2012, 06:02 AM
I like this idea.

I remember reading someone having an idea for a Capture the Flag type PVP mode for PSO2. Not exactly sure if that would work out but still sounds interesting.

That was me. PSPo2 had a capture the flag BG set up, but it suffered due to the hardware and latency limitations of the PSP and 4 person parties.

I'd like to see that concept expanded on, with 4v4v4 mutli party maps, bigger areas, and retaining your gear and levels.

Also, balancing PvP for 1v1 is always a horrible idea and any developer will tell you it's a terrible idea. True balance comes from a mesh of classes and your team working together to and support and exploit the traits of classes.

Mike
Mar 30, 2012, 06:09 AM
That was me. PSPo2 had a capture the flag BG set up, but it suffered due to the hardware and latency limitations of the PSP and 4 person parties.
PSP2's didn't have capture the flag but rather a "capture the base" system. There was no bringing an object back to a base but capturing various pre-existing points from one another.

Angelo
Mar 30, 2012, 06:28 AM
PSP2's didn't have capture the flag but rather a "capture the base" system. There was no bringing an object back to a base but capturing various pre-existing points from one another.

Oh right... I guess that would be more like 'capture points'. Still it was much cooler than just senseless fighting.

I'm a very big fan of objective based PvP and I think the multi-party areas combined with PSO2's combat system would would gel very nicely with the 'battlegrounds' formula in most online RPGs.

There were actually quite a bit of people playing battle mode in PsPo2, I could always find a match at any time of the day.

Merumeru
Mar 30, 2012, 09:24 AM
XP I'm one of the minority who never really cared for PVP; socially, its a drag to listen to people rattle on and on about their stats that I couldn't care less about, and its even worse when "A vs B or A vs C better?" comes into play XP it just amplifies the ego trips way too much

Not only that, how often are you friendly with the players you PVP against AFTER the match is over? XP Now how often do you think the average player would treat their fellow players after a loss? The one thing I like about Co-operative gameplay as opposed to competitive gameplay is that people actually get along, nobody is complaining about hacks/lag/etc XP but hey, I'm sure a ton of people get off on stuff like this, so I know I'm just the minority XD

XP back on topic though, if they do impliment PVP at some point, I just hope its the kind like everyone else does where weapons you actually EARNED during the course of the game will be of use, and BALANCED above all else XP if I have to play another PVP-inclusive game where ranged classes are the best as usual...

Griffin
Mar 30, 2012, 11:45 AM
XP I'm one of the minority who never really cared for PVP; socially, its a drag to listen to people rattle on and on about their stats that I couldn't care less about, and its even worse when "A vs B or A vs C better?" comes into play XP it just amplifies the ego trips way too much

Not only that, how often are you friendly with the players you PVP against AFTER the match is over? XP Now how often do you think the average player would treat their fellow players after a loss? The one thing I like about Co-operative gameplay as opposed to competitive gameplay is that people actually get along, nobody is complaining about hacks/lag/etc XP but hey, I'm sure a ton of people get off on stuff like this, so I know I'm just the minority XD

XP back on topic though, if they do impliment PVP at some point, I just hope its the kind like everyone else does where weapons you actually EARNED during the course of the game will be of use, and BALANCED above all else XP if I have to play another PVP-inclusive game where ranged classes are the best as usual...

Super points. I don't want the atmosphere of PSO to change to something like that. There's no demand for PvP, so I don't see it happening. If anything, it will be more indirect. This is why those who doom-say "pay-to-win" shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Zio23
Mar 30, 2012, 01:32 PM
i think it could be cool to add it, but pvp in pso1 was probably the worst pvp i've ever seen haha so they have to make it better than that (the pve was amazing and i had 200+ hours on my character but just saying that the pvp wasn't that great TT)

Rizen
Mar 30, 2012, 01:36 PM
They just have to do some tweeking to damage. The main problem with the Phantasy Star games PVP was that damaged wasn't scaled down...so it just become a OHKO killfest.

DerpiestShazbot
Mar 30, 2012, 02:11 PM
Not sure what the hate about Korean gamers giving tips is all about one of the best PVP games known to exist WAS Lineage 2 (keyword was.) At the beginning this sort of play style was very competitive requiring good thought out strategies and reflexes in order to win.

I'd like to at least see PvP in the Open beta let's hope there's some questionnaire thing similar to the alpha tests and for all those who are strongly against it just please consider at least answering in the questionnaire that PvP should be a must have! especially for something that's F2P it's really going to make things more interesting and for all you PvE loving people you can avoid the PvP thankfully for you games like Lineage 2 aren't being made at all anymore so you wont get ass hurt when someone comes by and kills you randomly.

If they do implement it, the PvP will most surely not be forced so just please consider the possibility of making other people who already enjoy the game as it is even more enjoyable for them, like myself regardless I will still play PSO2 I just wish PvP will be implemented for the hard core gamers such as myself that don't just get off by fighting monsters or hanging out on the 4th floor of PSU, it's a game after all not a chat room, and like EVERY game there should be competition to it, even board games have some form of competition (PvP) to it.

I'd really like to see something like PSO battle mode, but with team set up or other objectives, I miss being able to play in spaceship with other people despite the many fixes needed & unbalance issues battle mode was still fun to me although I'd really like to see PvP forced onto players in PSO2 like having random interrupt events with multiparty would be really fun, random 4v4v4 anyone? but I'm sure that wont happen since lots of people hate competition on here for some reason. Let's just be hopeful! The game looks amazing already PvP would only add to the greatness that is PSO2.

This.

Rizen
Mar 30, 2012, 02:26 PM
There is a right way and a wrong way to implement PVP...and there is a right reason and a wrong reason to want PVP in a game. Games nowadays do not put alot of thought into PVP and just make it a free for all without any structure to it. This goes along with the wrong reason for wanting PVP. People take advantage of this flaw and use it to grief others without any regard for competition. They only care about making people feel like they are below them.

With the correct structure, PVP can be quite enjoyable, truely competitive, and a great for sportsmanship. You can enjoy it with friends or even find people willing to do it for actual fun without spite or malice. There isn't a perfect recipe for this yet, but a company has to tailor the system around the mechanics of the game from the get go and not try to tack it on at the end.

I myself have a very competitive spirits (and admittedly, I hate to lose more than anyone), although I prefer PVE over anything else, so it is kinda like my soul is tore between this issue at times. As much as I would be happy to see PVP, I wouldn't mind if it wasn't there.