PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to our characters...

Deepest Blue
Apr 3, 2012, 09:42 AM
...once Sega eventually pulls the plug on the server, what will happen to all the characters / items and hours of play that we invested in this game, would we lose it all or do you think there will be an option to save everything locally??? I just don't like the idea of when it all ends you lose everything and the game can't be played offline...

Thanks..

Tulio07
Apr 3, 2012, 10:16 AM
You lose everything. I just recently joined the 360 version and I had to start from scratch. On the PC servers, I had a max leveled character with some amazing (for the time) weapons. Now I'm back to using the cheapest crap i can buy.

Veoh
Apr 3, 2012, 10:16 AM
It will all begone :/

Akaimizu
Apr 3, 2012, 10:25 AM
Yep. Just like any other game for which the servers eventually die off for. The only thing left will eventually be the limited *offline* characters.

Kind of like PSO, actually. The PSO servers still going are pretty much all with restarted characters on them.

Eventually, I'll probably have to say goodbye to my Guild Wars characters as well. Oh well, out with the old and stuff.

drizzle
Apr 3, 2012, 12:34 PM
Bad characters go to Hell, good characters go to Heaven.

Keilyn
Apr 3, 2012, 01:31 PM
Bad characters go to Hell, good characters go to Heaven.

While the rest of us remain in purgatory in limbo wondering what it was all for!

Ezodagrom
Apr 3, 2012, 02:04 PM
...once Sega eventually pulls the plug on the server, what will happen to all the characters / items and hours of play that we invested in this game, would we lose it all or do you think there will be an option to save everything locally??? I just don't like the idea of when it all ends you lose everything and the game can't be played offline...

Thanks..
Everything will be gone, like what happened with the english PC/PS2 servers.

Dragwind
Apr 3, 2012, 03:14 PM
The same thing that happened to PSO:BB, and PSU PC/PS2 servers. Everything just goes poof.

If it really bothers you that much (as it did to me, to see my near 9,000 hours of "work" lost), take pictures and videos of everything (characters, items, PAs, everything you accomplished), and save them for the memories.

Keilyn
Apr 4, 2012, 12:37 AM
The same thing that happened to PSO:BB, and PSU PC/PS2 servers. Everything just goes poof.

If it really bothers you that much (as it did to me, to see my near 9,000 hours of "work" lost), take pictures and videos of everything (characters, items, PAs, everything you accomplished), and save them for the memories.

I wish that in the short time that we knew each other in PC/PS2 that you would have learned how to fight. It would prevent the depressing element from a mod/admin at an independent forum from having to state resentful stuff that comes across like "oh I lost 9000 hours, but hey I have screenshots and memories"

Its kind of a sad that a private/hacked PSObb server has had a longer life-cycle and gone farther without collecting a dime directly from people than an entire corporation.

There really is no excuse.

In my life, if I grant true forgiveness or show true mercy to anyone. It is a very special thing, because I take care to not demean the two.

EvilMag
Apr 4, 2012, 12:43 AM
I wish that in the short time that we knew each other in PC/PS2 that you would have learned how to fight. It would prevent the depressing element from a mod/admin at an independent forum from having to state resentful stuff that comes across like "oh I lost 9000 hours, but hey I have screenshots and memories"

Its kind of a sad that a private/hacked PSObb server has had a longer life-cycle and gone farther without collecting a dime directly from people than an entire corporation.

In my life, if I grant true forgiveness or show true mercy to anyone. It is a very special thing, because I take care to not demean the two.

lol...

iBOCK
Apr 4, 2012, 02:04 PM
lol...

Yeah, isn't that server run by help from the community through monetary donations?

I don't see how that constitutes as "not a dime from the people". They're not forcing people to donate but without donations it would've been dead a long time ago. I personally really like that server and I've been meaning to donate for a while.

Dragwind
Apr 4, 2012, 03:45 PM

Are you insisting that I could have "fought" and done something about the closing of official servers? I'm not sure I understand what you're trying to say here. A particularly popular private server does indeed ask for kind donations from the community.

Keilyn
Apr 5, 2012, 01:52 AM
Something on a different matter all together. Notice I said "Without Collecting a dime directly"

This is part of Legal Talk.

Directly Collecting payment = forces, recurring payments
Indirect payment = Volunteer/Donation

Many lack the trait of being bold or brave. Regardless the age group, it takes just the same amount of strength and courage to go against the grain or call out things the way they really are, and risk alienation to serve the common-good. The more people keep to themselves, the worse things get.

Localization gives the population several rights. Several means of protection, most which the public are unaware of. I guess I only wished and desired that people were more active about protecting their interests regardless if they were large or small.

Noblewine
Apr 5, 2012, 02:22 AM
When the game shuts down you lose everything, Game Over! Game over man.

Psu5675
Apr 6, 2012, 12:08 PM
this is bad characters done all that hard work and i will never get a Rutsularod 10/10
or a Eternal Psychodrive 10/10 if that rods in the game hope they let the game run on live 360
gold card

i hate sega makeing Rutsularod too rare and not letting the game run no live when they shut it down

i know of private server like psobb its power to the people because segac know not how to run a online game

TheAstarion
Apr 7, 2012, 04:03 PM
It's something we don't like to talk about or think about.

Just like how everyone who's alive right now is going to die, every character on any server-based game will eventually be deleted when the servers go down for the last time.

Especially irritating when you pay monthly for server access, and as soon as you don't pay, whoops, you can't play the game you also paid for.

And what really does kinda sting is how much emphasis there is on cash shop items; you pay money for those, and they disappear when the game goes belly-up.

At the end of the day, you have nothing to show for it. All we can hope for is that anyone who undertakes any kind of private server work on can import a snapshot, savestate, whatever, of our official server counterparts to use on their unofficial servers, like they did on a certain PSO server, before Western PSO went down.

Side-note, back then the only way to get certain things on the private server was to have it imported as a snapshot from the official servers, like armour with variable stats, or S-rank weapons with specials that worked after you logged out. But this wasn't supposed to be a post about the stumbling blocks private servers face.

Keilyn
Apr 7, 2012, 10:22 PM
It's something we don't like to talk about or think about.

Just like how everyone who's alive right now is going to die, every character on any server-based game will eventually be deleted when the servers go down for the last time.

Especially irritating when you pay monthly for server access, and as soon as you don't pay, whoops, you can't play the game you also paid for.

And what really does kinda sting is how much emphasis there is on cash shop items; you pay money for those, and they disappear when the game goes belly-up.

At the end of the day, you have nothing to show for it. All we can hope for is that anyone who undertakes any kind of private server work on can import a snapshot, savestate, whatever, of our official server counterparts to use on their unofficial servers, like they did on a certain PSO server, before Western PSO went down.

Side-note, back then the only way to get certain things on the private server was to have it imported as a snapshot from the official servers, like armour with variable stats, or S-rank weapons with specials that worked after you logged out. But this wasn't supposed to be a post about the stumbling blocks private servers face.

I've had my share of fun in video games. Let's just say that I tend to go against the grain in many things not out of choice or desire, but out of my own nature. I am what I am. Most of the things I've loved have been considered as "against the common grain" to society.

However, I do feel that gamers are also afraid. Rather than build many memories in many games, they play one or two games. Eventually they go from being super and fun to being monotonous.

Console Gamers and PC gamers who play Singleplayer games have it made where they beat one game and move on to the next. If they love the game they stay and complete everything. MMORPG and online shooters share the common ground that people get addicted to them. It becomes like a job and even when the game becomes boring, players are still logged into the server or a community of the game, playing.

There are many games out there. I do mean MANY. I've found so many games I like better than PSO/PSU. Nothing can beat all the weapon models and active nature of preserving characters in video games, but almost anything can beat the monotonous activity of spamming one or two PAs, per situation.

What keeps me in PSU is all the work that SEGA does to try to keep the characters themselves fresh, with the look of new weapons and the new costumes that are released, along with the events.

The best way to lessen the blow or losing characters is spread yourself. If you lose PSU, then you lose everything since thats the only online game you play. If you play several and expose yourself for good or for bad, you dont have all your eggs in one basket and thus lessen the blow.

I found a pretty decent company that does all kinds of games that function online and I've gotten to like several of their games. I do play PSU, but its nice to always play a game that has an event running.

Ok, now back to getting my ass kicked by Giant Robots and Evil Demonic Easter Bunnies.

Selphea
Apr 8, 2012, 08:07 AM
When the servers close, our characters will join the Holy Light and have hot priestess orgies with Mirei.

/thread

Hatsodoom
Apr 8, 2012, 04:08 PM
When the servers close, our characters will join the Holy Light and have hot priestess orgies with Mirei.

/thread

I know I would, Mirei is hot.

Ryno
Apr 8, 2012, 04:58 PM
that's why I take PSU screen shots for memories. from day one. till current. cause i know PSU will never last.

[SPOILER-BOX]

Ryno Day 1

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r233/x_RYNO_x/psu20100514_185500_002.jpg

Ryno Today
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/xl2YClNx/psu20120324_212345_001.jpg

[/SPOILER-BOX]

Hatsodoom
Apr 8, 2012, 05:08 PM
That looks like the PC version. (Cuze of the HUD)

Dragwind
Apr 8, 2012, 05:35 PM
Screenshots and videos are a godsend for me. Every PC MMO that I've ever put in a considerable amount of time into, I have tons of screenshots for. It's nice to have a nostalgic moment every now and then, and be able look back on screenshots and recall their stories.

Hatsodoom
Apr 8, 2012, 05:37 PM
Yah I know, shame I didn;t do that with PC.

NoiseHERO
Apr 8, 2012, 07:15 PM
Don't forget chatlogs.

The one thing that make it worth being a dick 12 hours a ay with your friends is goin back to read chatlogs and finding yourself laughing at your friends and your own jokes till you're out of breath.

Hatsodoom
Apr 8, 2012, 07:16 PM
Don't forget chatlogs.

The one thing that make it worth being a dick 12 hours a ay with your friends is goin back to read chatlogs and finding yourself laughing at your friends and your own jokes till you're out of breath.

I did that with PSO, there were some pretty funny ones.

Ryno
Apr 8, 2012, 07:39 PM
Don't forget chatlogs.

yup. especially magic moments like this. :-)
it was at a JP PSU PSOW meet and Greet in 2010. because it's once in a life time. got to take as much photos.
[SPOILER-BOX]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/xl2YClNx/psu20100829_140212_057.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/xl2YClNx/psu20110214_151340_033.jpg

[/SPOILER-BOX]

2007 st patty's day Xbox 360
[SPOILER-BOX]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kxmc4HoQBMI[/SPOILER-BOX]

Keilyn
Apr 9, 2012, 01:01 AM
Im surprised....

You keep in contact with each other every day through forums, online games, messengers, etc and your magic moment is seeing each other's characters in a field? At first I actually believed I misread it.

You want a magic moment? Try going to a convention that is filled with cosplayers who are doing Final Fantasy and a lot of anime, but the 2 or 3 doing Phantasy Star actually get their costumes done right (I saw a pair doing Nei and Demi) but amazingly enough, I saw one who cosplayed as Lenneth (Valkyrie Profile.)

In most games, my newb moments become my magic moments

Edit: Back to Topic

I wanted to Edit rather than Double-Post

The difference between SEGA and other publishers I like:

SEGA loves to say when they close a server "Thank you for playing, come again soon"

While I recently learned that one game was closing down and the company that closed it down refunded to its player base up to a maximum of $750 USD spent in their cash shop to each player and any number of points spent in the last 2 - 3 months were refunded as well. It meant if you spent $750 worth in points (which is a shitload), you not only get your money back, you get your points back as "compensation."

So you can scratch your head and ask "wait a minute? How come they get points back to a game that closed?" and the answer is because the CASH shop existing works for all titles by the same company, so they can be used elsewhere. After the game closed down, they put a promotion on practically every single game they had to facilitate players moving between games.

Now service like that NEVER WILL EVER HAPPEN to a SEGA game (which is a reason that while I like Phantasy Star, PSU is my last phantasy star game. I am done with that series.