PDA

View Full Version : Pso 2 Possibly canceled.

Mr Champloo
Apr 3, 2012, 05:03 PM
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2012/03/30/sega-canceling-games-cutting-jobs.aspx

http://igxpro.net/2012/03/30/sega-restructuring-means-cancelled-games-lost-jobs/1315383

Many Sega of America employees lost their jobs yesterday as lower than expected revenue lead to a restructuring of the company.

Former employees have been tweeting of their departure. One employee took to Reddit, misinterpeting the mass layoffs for a shutdown of Sega's American division. Sega has confirmed, however, that it has not closed its doors. Sega of America's entire QA department has been shut down. QA for the company's remaining titles will be handled by Sega of Europe. Other layoffs include positions in marketing, design, social, and development.

Yesterday's restructure of the firm mentioned the formation of "a smaller company positioned for sustained profitability" in the U.S. and Europe. It is focused on four specific IPs: Sonic the Hedgehog, Football Manager, Total War, and Aliens. All other titles are said to be canceled. An IGN source agreed, stating: "any currently announced game that isn't included on that list will not be published by Sega, leaving a decent amount of the publisher's upcoming publishing roster in jeopardy."

PSO2 is pretty much canceled.

Randomness
Apr 3, 2012, 05:04 PM
Lolno.

Mr Champloo
Apr 3, 2012, 05:04 PM
lolyes

Randomness
Apr 3, 2012, 05:08 PM
Seriously, step back twenty feet, reread what you quoted, PARSE IT PROPERLY, and then tell me PSO2 is cancelled.

Mr Champloo
Apr 3, 2012, 05:09 PM
Unless you want the Japan version. =/ I know what i posted.

Captt
Apr 3, 2012, 05:15 PM
Pso2 is not gonna get cancelled. they are going to release the game in japan this summer.

Randomness
Apr 3, 2012, 05:19 PM

They already did preliminary work on localizing it, you know. Also, one of the people quoted has NO FUCKING CLUE what's in the heads of SEGA management - he doesn't even work there, he isn't citing someone, ergo, it's conjecutre.

shiink
Apr 3, 2012, 05:24 PM

Well, thats really all that matters when it comes to PSO2.

However, this is rather unfortunate for SoA despite my frustration with them. Considering there has yet to be any official announcement of whether PSO2 was going to be released outside of Japan, it's still possible that the game may come stateside if it fairs well in the market.

Ezodagrom
Apr 3, 2012, 05:26 PM
http://segabits.com/blog/2012/03/30/sega-west-restructuring-downsizing-and-canceling-certain-games/

The Sega consumer business is expected to post operating loss due to the challenging economic climate and significant changes in the home video game software market environment in the US and Europe.

It is essential to streamline [our] organisation in the field of home video game software, while shifting to a structure that corresponds to a change in environment, including strengthening development in the field of digital content.

We decided to narrow down sales titles to strong IPs such as Sonic the Hedgehog, Football Manager, Total War and Aliens which are expected to continue posting solid earnings. In accordance with this, we are cancelling the development of some game software titles.

strengthening development in the field of digital content
PSO2 is a digital game, the games that were canceled were most likely just retail games/retail versions of games.

NoiseHERO
Apr 3, 2012, 05:33 PM
^ For people too dumb;Didn't listen:

> SEGA's focusing on digital content, PSO2 is not only digital content (download only) But it's also a free to play online game.

> A lot of people outside of Japan are excited for this game.

> The way the game is designed is easy to localize. (They have language settings IN the client.)

Way I see it, all they really have to do is take the Japanese client and "localize it" by having the english settings automatically set, where we'd just download it from their english site/buy arkz cash there and probably end up on the same servers as the JP community with their before mentioned "Global Support".

Though that's just a guess.

Mr Champloo
Apr 3, 2012, 05:40 PM
You guys do know F2P does mean we still might have to BUY the rights to download it right? It just means no Monthly payment.

Griffin
Apr 3, 2012, 05:42 PM
You guys do know F2P does mean we still might have to BUY the rights to download it right? It just means no Monthly payment.

It's free to download. This was confirmed along with it being without a subscription. With all due respect, you need to catch up on info because a lot of us are.

Xaeris
Apr 3, 2012, 05:43 PM
We already know the client is free to download.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193777

Seriously man, just stop posting and wait for this awful thread to blow over.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 3, 2012, 05:52 PM
That news does not mean PSO2 is not going to see an EU/US release (which might mean nothing but localizing so as to provide an English language option in the same client).

And if that happens, there's a lot of us here who will be fine making due with the JP client in Japanese.

Anon_Fire
Apr 3, 2012, 05:57 PM

Wow, you're really falling behind on the news here.

Randomness
Apr 3, 2012, 06:02 PM
Wow, you're really falling behind on the news here.

Indeed. Also, f2p DOES mean there's no cost to download. The Guild Wars model is different.

Dinosaur
Apr 3, 2012, 06:03 PM
This thread implies that I'm supposed to play PSO2 US.

Anyone who actually cares about the series is gonna be playing on JP...

Tetsaru
Apr 3, 2012, 06:06 PM
To the OP: Yes, we already know about the SoA employees getting laid off, and the announcement of more of a focus on certain series. There have already been threads about it.

HOWEVER, there has been no mention of PSO2 being cancelled as a result of this. As previously mentioned, Sega is planning on focusing on digital distribution, and that's EXACTLY what has been announced for PSO2 in the last media briefing video, had you read the threads about it, which ALSO existed before you decided to waltz in here claiming, LULZ, PSO2 IS CANCELLED, TROLLFACE.JPG

If we had received an actual confirmation from Sakai about it, then sure, I'd believe you. But the fact that there is a character creator demo, benchmark, and a beta test involving 100,000 participants coming out this month says otherwise.

Congratulations, you've done nothing but spread worry and bad rumors, and verily pissed me off for having clicked on such an ignorant and ill-conceived waste of forum space. :argh:

Anon_Fire
Apr 3, 2012, 06:09 PM
To the OP: Yes, we already know about the SoA employees getting laid off, and the announcement of more of a focus on certain series. There have already been threads about it.

HOWEVER, there has been no mention of PSO2 being cancelled as a result of this. As previously mentioned, Sega is planning on focusing on digital distribution, and that's EXACTLY what has been announced for PSO2 in the last media briefing video, had you read the threads about it, which ALSO existed before you decided to waltz in here claiming, LULZ, PSO2 IS CANCELLED, TROLLFACE.JPG

If we had received an actual confirmation from Sakai about it, then sure, I'd believe you. But the fact that there is a character creator demo, benchmark, and a beta test involving 100,000 participants coming out this month says otherwise.

Congratulations, you've done nothing but spread worry and bad rumors, and verily pissed me off for having clicked on such an ignorant and ill-conceived waste of forum space. :argh:

Don't forget that the OP wasted everyone's time here.

GCoffee
Apr 3, 2012, 06:16 PM
Don't forget that the OP wasted everyone's time here.

The time of nobody that does not choose to become part of this topic is wasted. Having ten guys tell him how wrong he is is obviously not necessary, so let us all grow up and let this topic die.

Poor dude isn't even replying anymore, probably out of shame.

Shade_Koopa
Apr 3, 2012, 06:16 PM
This thread implies that I'm supposed to play PSO2 US.

Anyone who actually cares about the series is gonna be playing on JP...

Many of use would like it to come to US so that we may understand what were playing an such. Right, anything can could happen; things are up in the air.

^ For people too dumb;Didn't listen:

> SEGA's focusing on digital content, PSO2 is not only digital content (download only) But it's also a free to play online game.

> A lot of people outside of Japan are excited for this game.

> The way the game is designed is easy to localize. (They have language settings IN the client.)

Way I see it, all they really have to do is take the Japanese client and "localize it" by having the english settings automatically set, where we'd just download it from their english site/buy arkz cash there and probably end up on the same servers as the JP community with their before mentioned "Global Support".

Though that's just a guess.

With the word select feature, very high chance of US/EU/JP players playing on the same server. If the the word select is anything like how the PSO/PSO:BB were with it's auto translate and such.

Cephei Mordred
Apr 3, 2012, 06:20 PM
The time of nobody that does not choose to become part of this topic is wasted. Having ten guys tell him how wrong he is is obviously not necessary, so let us all grow up and let this topic die.

Poor dude isn't even replying anymore, probably out of shame.

It's necessary so that people don't get misled who also haven't read all the past topics on the issue.

Mike
Apr 3, 2012, 06:34 PM
While the possibility exists, speculation is speculation. And while we have been speculating about many things this type of speculation does no one any good.