PDA

View Full Version : did they bring back chaining

adonis565
Apr 3, 2012, 07:40 PM
where the PAs do more damage based on the number of chains

•Col•
Apr 3, 2012, 07:52 PM
No.

There is a system in place that kind of works similarly to the "chains" in PSP2 for melee weapons, though.

From the stickied info thread:

Certain PA's can be charged to do more damage and/or additional hits
There is now an additional bar above your button interface. This bar builds up as you hit monsters with your normal melee attacks. As this bar builds, the more damage your Photon Arts do and the quicker you can charge certain ones.

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 3, 2012, 08:17 PM
lol chaining was so broken, especially against multi target mobs like the prairie dragon.

that one fist drill attack was mega OP. hit like 5 targets 3 / 4 times. damage was insane when you chained high enough.

trap chaining was lol too.

Ark22
Apr 3, 2012, 08:19 PM
Chaining made the game easy. If they took it out and lessen damage just a bit, it would have been fairly difficult.

r00tabaga
Apr 3, 2012, 08:23 PM
Chaining was annoying with noobs. Build, build, break....wtf kid! This bar system, I believe, works only for your character.

Boom-

Ark22
Apr 3, 2012, 08:39 PM
If someone gives out more than 400+ damage at level 10 I am quitting xD

Reia
Apr 3, 2012, 09:40 PM
If someone gives out more than 400+ damage at level 10 I am quitting xD

Forces pretty much can do that damage :3

Ark22
Apr 3, 2012, 09:57 PM
Forces I can understand, not like we are doing it every second though.

•Col•
Apr 3, 2012, 10:08 PM
Forces I can understand, not like we are doing it every second though.

You wouldn't be doing over 400 damage per second with a chaining system at level 10 either. :l You're logic is really flawed....

Dinosaur
Apr 3, 2012, 10:12 PM
Three Rangers, one Force. Force applies Shifta and the three Rangers space out the use of Weak Bullet. This team combo would be the definition of easy mode!

NoiseHERO
Apr 3, 2012, 10:23 PM
I thought chaining made PSP2 really interesting, it was a good idea in terms of adding the challenge of dodging and blocking and working with your team mates to build up a chain and strike you opponents weak point.

But eventually it just got monotonous and you ended up just 1-2-3 > spam photon art, to the point where it felt like PSO where you got used to timing your attacks, and PSU when you realized all you have to do is spam PA and worry about PP.

The system they made for PSO2 sounds more interesting and I can't wait to try it out, and hope it doesn't suffer the fate of it's past games battle system. Though it probably will, you can't just up and make a perfect battle system that'll last forever.

Rei-San
Apr 3, 2012, 10:52 PM
They added chaining to stop people from spamming their PAs like the did in PSU, which made the combat boring. (that and the way PAs lvled back in the day.)

"Hmm? Stop spamming my PAs? How else am I supposed to kill them?... Normal attack? But that IS normal for everyone! :X"

Randomness
Apr 3, 2012, 11:59 PM
They added chaining to stop people from spamming their PAs like the did in PSU, which made the combat boring. (that and the way PAs lvled back in the day.)

"Hmm? Stop spamming my PAs? How else am I supposed to kill them?... Normal attack? But that IS normal for everyone! :X"

But then everything's HP was balanced around giant chain damage output, and then it got stupid. Rainbow aura belra? Seriously, it just became a grind to take it down. (In the vein of Yiazmat from FFXII, where the fight could have been done just fine with the boss having 1/10 the HP)

Zorafim
Apr 4, 2012, 01:03 AM
Chaining was a good idea in PSP2. It really fixed how dull PSU's fighting was. But I'm glad to see it won't be coming back. I think all we need is for normal attacks to be the attacks you usually use, and PAs to be powerful ending moves you don't use often. Whatever system is in place to get that to work, I'm fine with.

moorebounce
Apr 4, 2012, 02:54 AM
The good thing about PSU's battle system was they gave you a separate button to pick up your items. Although it shouldn't have been on the main set of buttons IMO. Unlike PSO where you would get attacked while accidently picking up items that dropped from enemies you killed earlier. I also like the weapon palette from PSU.

You could chain your attacks in PSU but I liked PSO's system better (outside of the whole getting attacked while picking up your items thingy).

Shadownami92
Apr 4, 2012, 04:25 AM
Weapon pallets were good, though compared to PSO's gamecube shortcut menus it was a little more annoying. I mean, overall it could be good, except if you had a ton of weapons that were the same type. I had a few times in Portable where I was like "dang it, which rod is which? I NEED MY RESTA ROD!" swapping through them all and whatnot.

But that could just be personal preference. I liked seeing a name on a list more than a little image of the weapon type. Also since there was access to your entire inventory/tech list it was very helpful for swapping items fast, especially since items would show up in the order they appeared in the inventory, and when you auto-sort the inventory your equipped weapons would go to the top. So with some sorting you would have all the weapons you constantly used at the top of your weapon list and all. Twas fun. Also made it easy to have full access to all of your expendable items too.

I mean I can understand the use of the Action Pallet once you take PAs and stuff into account, although I guess if you sorted that with every single weapon in your inventory you could use something similar to the old PSO system with it, sort of how PSZ did it.

I also enjoyed not using the Action Pallet because you could instantly try equipping an item that you found without flipping through a bunch of menus to put it on your Action Pallet.