PDA

View Full Version : Error with Japanese names?

PALRAPPYS
Apr 5, 2012, 08:40 PM
Hey everyone, I just tried to save a character with a Japanese name (as if it didn't take long enough to figure out how to do that) but I wasn't able to save the character as long as she had a Japanese name. Would anyone know what the reason is? I could read something about a file, but I'm not sure what.

Also, does anyone know what that dot is that goes in the middle of katakana Japanese names? No idea how to type that either. Nor do I know how to switch to purely katakana writing in-game.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 5, 2012, 08:45 PM
Nor do I know how to switch to purely katakana writing in-game.
I haven't figured out how to write Japanese in-game at all. I have Japanese installed as a language, but changing the language via my little thing on the taskbar doesn't seem to do the trick.

Saotome Kaneda
Apr 5, 2012, 08:46 PM
Can you name other (non-PSO-saved) files in Japanese? You might need to fiddle with your localization settings.

To create the center dot you commonly see, use forward slash ( / ) in your IME, it should pop up as one of the later selections.

Edit: @kyuuketsuki You should try using keyboard shortcuts to get IME to work in other programs. If that doesn't work you might need to mess with your IME settings then.

Mike
Apr 5, 2012, 08:47 PM
A dot like this?

こんな・感じ

You can bring that up with forward slash.

PALRAPPYS
Apr 5, 2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks for the forward slash info guys. Also, to use Japanese, set a shortcut to Japanese and then press alt + ` (the one sharing the ~ tilda) while in a text box in-game and it'll come up.

Not sure why I can't save my characters with a Japanese name, but hopefully it'll work in the final release and/or beta.

Also while I'm at it I'll ask another question... if I use the fullscreen option, how do I get out of the game (without closing it) without ctrl+alt+delete? Since ctrl+alt+delete shuts off the game...

Also thought I'd bring this up... this is the message that appears when I try to save:

保存に失敗しました。

既に同名のファイルが存在する可能性があります。

Google Translate:
Failed to save.

May file with the same name already exists.

Huh? Definitely not the case...

Aiex
Apr 5, 2012, 09:01 PM
I keep getting that error too. It says that it wasn't able to save, and that it's possible a file with that name already exists.

I'm not sure what the cause is, because it's clearly not a duplicate name. When you try to duplicate a name it tells you that a file with that name already exists (no "maybe")

I keep most of the settings on my computer in Japanese, so I don't think English settings are the problem. If you find a solution let me know!

kyuuketsuki
Apr 5, 2012, 09:06 PM
Ahhh, got it. Thanks guys. Been meaning to look into that but you guys are a much better source than google. ^_^

Mike
Apr 5, 2012, 09:08 PM
Just remember, you're just naming your file. When you load the real game up, you'll be able to give your character a name in Japanese.

Reia
Apr 5, 2012, 10:24 PM
I was wondering if there was a way to overwrite your files. Making a new file name per save is dumb, specially that If I save a template, then I have to make another save when I want to confirm creation for the benchmark. Atm It can get tiring to go all over My Documents > SEGA > PSO2folder and delete those .fhp files that contains my saves just because I can't overwrite.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 5, 2012, 10:26 PM
Nope, won't let you save duplicate names. It makes sense, really. Don't want people accidentally overwriting chars they meant to keep.

Mike
Apr 5, 2012, 10:27 PM
I was wondering if there was a way to overwrite your files. Making a new file name per save is dumb, specially that If I save a template, then I have to make another save when I want to confirm creation for the benchmark.

No. This is to prevent accidentally overwriting something you have already created.

•Col•
Apr 5, 2012, 10:55 PM
You can easily go into the PHANTASYSTARONLINE2 folder, and delete the older characters however, thus freeing up the name for new use.

Quebe_Lae
Apr 9, 2012, 10:35 PM
@_@ There's actually nothing in that folder, and it's never saved a file for me... but it still won't let me save!! T_T

kyuuketsuki
Apr 9, 2012, 10:56 PM
@_@ There's actually nothing in that folder, and it's never saved a file for me... but it still won't let me save!! T_T
This is the /My Documents/SEGA/PHANTASYSTARONLINE2 folder?

•Col•
Apr 9, 2012, 11:25 PM
This is the /My Documents/SEGA/PHANTASYSTARONLINE2 folder?

^This.

Forgot to specify it was the My Documents folder, not the Program Files folder.

Quebe_Lae
Apr 10, 2012, 08:09 AM
It won't let me save no matter what I call it.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 10, 2012, 10:11 AM
Huh... Can you post a pic of the message you get when you try to save?

Quebe_Lae
Apr 10, 2012, 12:06 PM
Here ya go.

•Col•
Apr 10, 2012, 01:59 PM
Here ya go.

Don't know what it actually says, but... It's the EXACT same error you get when you try to save a character with the same name as an already existing file.

Are you sure you went into the Documents\SEGA\PHANTASYSTARONLINE2 folder and checked to see if the character files were there?

kyuuketsuki
Apr 10, 2012, 02:57 PM
Not at home at the moment so I can't see if that error message matches the one when you try to save with an already existing file name. However, that should be easy to test for: try saving with a totally random/off-the-wall name, like... bananarama. If that works, then it's because there's an existing file with the name you've been trying to use. If it doesn't work, then something else is going on.

Menochi
Apr 11, 2012, 12:50 AM
Depending on version of windows it might be a permissions error. Try running char creator as admin, ensuring you can write files there, and that your registry didn't change the default folder to somewhere else.

Quebe_Lae
Apr 11, 2012, 05:59 PM
I think it was some weird things because it was installed in a shared folder (so permissions like Menochi said). After a reinstall so that it was all contained within the virtual machine, it saves juuuust fine.