PDA

View Full Version : How Do I Record Video?

Ryo
Apr 5, 2012, 11:11 PM
Noticed some videos popping up from the CC.... is that a built-in function? If so, how do I use it?

Griffin
Apr 5, 2012, 11:17 PM
It's generally a recording program such as Bandicam or FRAPS.

youcantcatchtheblue
Apr 5, 2012, 11:57 PM
if you want good quality, use Fraps. All the videos will be raw, uncompressed avi files and super huge, but you get pretty much lossless quality.

Also worth mentioning that you need pretty good specs on your computer to record video because it is a massive performance hog. This is why games do not include their own video recording feature.

Dinosaur
Apr 6, 2012, 12:23 AM
Please don't use FRAPS. Like youcantcatchtheblue said, it rapes your CPU for no good reason(the code is outdated). It also costs money(again, for no good reason).

Skye-Fox713
Apr 6, 2012, 12:25 AM
To compress the videos simply use windows movie maker or any other similar video editing program. So when you go to "publish" the movie you should have an option to chose what kind of video compression you want to use.

Vashyron
Apr 6, 2012, 12:33 AM
You know with Fraps is actually very demanding on your Hard Drive, if you can record to one that your game isn't running on, it will probably do better.

(Unless your video is going to be small or your SSD is huge, could use a SSD for the best performance.)

Link1275
Apr 6, 2012, 12:39 AM
This is why games do not include their own video recording feature.
Not entirely true, I used to play an FPS that allowed you to save videos of your FPS battles after they were over.

landman
Apr 6, 2012, 01:58 AM
I'm using bandicam, at full my benchmark score got from 7000 to 6600, recording at full 1080p motionjpeg at 100, that's almost perfect quality to take screenshots at the same quality as the game shows them. Totally unnecessary to record at that quality, compressing later for youtube will drastically reduce the quality of the video.

Ryo
Apr 6, 2012, 02:00 AM
I'm going to have to look into Bandicam. Is it free?

landman
Apr 6, 2012, 02:01 AM
The watermarked version is, just like fraps.

Merumeru
Apr 6, 2012, 09:49 AM
Surprised nobody has mentioned MSI Afterburner X3 i haven't used the video record on it yet, but it's been lauded as equivalent to FRAPS, but free <3

Kudwafter
Apr 6, 2012, 10:23 AM
I'm going to have to look into Bandicam. Is it free?

The free version has a watermark at the top and each recording is capped at 10 minutes, However there are some options you can enable so that once 10 minutes is up, it automatically starts recording again. All you have to do is put the clips together.

http://i.imgur.com/sNsLT.png

Ryo
Apr 6, 2012, 11:02 AM
The free version has a watermark at the top and each recording is capped at 10 minutes, However there are some options you can enable so that once 10 minutes is up, it automatically starts recording again. All you have to do is put the clips together.

http://i.imgur.com/sNsLT.png

So many great suggestions in this thread! I've downloaded FRAPS and Bandicam, now I need to get this MSI utility and try them all out!

Crystal_Shard
Apr 6, 2012, 11:11 AM
Looks for the MSI Afterburner 2.20 Beta, not the Stable 2.10 build.

Do note that the program can be a little cranky with audio - it's best to use your internal sound card to capture audio with the 2.20 Beta; 2.10 doesn't capture sound at all. Also, be prepared to have to re-download the beta installer on occasion as the software will expire and require a complete reinstallation with a newly downloaded exe file.

Xenobia
Apr 6, 2012, 04:14 PM
if you want good quality, use Fraps. All the videos will be raw, uncompressed avi files and super huge, but you get pretty much lossless quality.

Also worth mentioning that you need pretty good specs on your computer to record video because it is a massive performance hog. This is why games do not include their own video recording feature.

Video and sound are completly separated data and got nothing to do with each others. A AVI file is here in order to merge video and sound informations, so its all inside the same file. AVI is a container in order to merge, its not a video format. While AVI is rather outdated, the most powerful container is known as MKV (Matroska), however, AVI got highest compatibility.

Uncompressed files can have up to 1-2 GB size for 10 sec of 1080P material. (ten seconds!). So its very unlikely anyone uses a uncompressed format, its just not real to upload or share, exceeding our technical bounds. Thats why most Youtube Videos looks crappy. Its always a challenge to shrink down filesize without losing to much quality.

Unwinders MSI Afterburner: Get Version 2.20 Beta 15 (http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2884&file=4&evp=3258169355dea81ef80035c2f6503c59), it should work flawless with capturing video and audio. Its rather easy to use, in the settings the level of compression and other stuff can be chosen, and it should be easy to share after. The tool is completly free and there is no disturbing limitations i know of.

Please Note: MSI Afterburner is a expert tool and hardware newbies should not use it in order to tune certain hardware specs, its just to risky. Simply click on the "settings" and then use the slider to bring up capturing options (i do recommend to use 30 FPS, and compression level based on size needed) and set a KEY for its command (in order to enable and disable).