PDA

View Full Version : 4/6 Official Blog: Mags, Emergency Quests, CC Contest

Mike
Apr 6, 2012, 03:01 AM
The official blog (http://ameblo.jp/sega-psblog/entry-11215274980.html) was updated today with some info on mags and the new city area as well as a some less exciting aspects of the upcoming closed beta.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=25900

First, mags. Before you can equip or use a mag, you'll need something called a "Mag License." This can be obtained by completing a certain Client Order. By obtaining this license, you'll be able to use a mag. Mags have the same stats as players and by feeding the mag items and weapons, those stats will go up. Mag stats will influence player stats so you'll be able to use them to equip weapons you might not normally be able to equip. Mags also have an energy stat. When mags run out of energy, they won't be able to function. To increase a mag's energy, simply feed it something.

Mags can do several things. When a mag reaches it's second form it gains an "auto-action." This is an attack performed by the mag. Depending on how it is raised, this can be a physical attack, ranged attacked, or an attack using techs. Mags also have "trigger actions." These are actions that are performed when under certain circumstances like "low HP," or "boss." These are similar to how certain mags in PSO would use shifta/deband on you when entering a boss fight or healing you when your HP is low.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=25901

Finally, mags can use photon blasts. The one shown in the media briefing and closed beta video was a unicorn but the form and actions will change based on how a mag is raised. When a mag reaches it's second form, it gains the ability to photon blast. Additionally, blast chaining can be performed ala Phantasy Star Zero. This is done by other players blasting in the circle deployed while another player performs a photon blast.

Mag levels will be capped in the closed beta at level 99. They change in to their second form at level 50.

Now on the new city area. The city area is one of the cities on the Arks ship! Unlike the caves and forest quests that have been in the alphas, the city area will be used in a new type of quest for the closed beta: Emergency Quests. Unlike PSP2/i or PSU, these aren't rare missions but missions that will be available at random times during the day. Emergency Quests will only be available for one hour at a time so there will be a ship-wide announcement made 15 minutes before an emergency quest becomes available. Additionally, emergency quests have a time limit in quest and will feature new interupt events and tricks.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=25902
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=25903
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=1923&pictureid=25904

The boss of the city area is the Dark Ragne (ダーク・ラグネ).

Finally, don't forget to sign up for the closed beta if you haven't yet. There's still just over a week left!

EDIT: Can't believe I forgot this but starting next week entries in to the Character Creator contest will be accepted. One of the prizes for this contest will be having your submitted character show up as an NPC in game.

Ark22
Apr 6, 2012, 03:10 AM
*Slowly claps* I am lovin the mag options. But the License part seems pretty balanced I guess.

BIG OLAF
Apr 6, 2012, 03:38 AM
How does one go about entering this CC Contest?

(not like any good entries will win. Most likely a loli or grossface will take the prize)

Mike
Apr 6, 2012, 04:07 AM
How does one go about entering this CC Contest?
I'm sure there will be more rules and a site to enter with posted next week.

Wayu
Apr 6, 2012, 04:12 AM
I'll just toss in my characters for the hell of it. ^^

-Wayu

BIG OLAF
Apr 6, 2012, 04:14 AM
I'm sure there will be more rules and a site to enter with posted next week.

Okay, I figured.

Hopefully they give non-JP players a chance. ^^;

Wayu
Apr 6, 2012, 04:15 AM
How about JP peeps that aren't in Japan ATM? xD

-Wayu

Reia
Apr 6, 2012, 04:35 AM
Can you tell us more about the character contest Mike?

Wayu
Apr 6, 2012, 04:37 AM
It hasn't started yet, not many details I'd imagine. ^^;

-Wayu

Mike
Apr 6, 2012, 04:38 AM
Can you tell us more about the character contest Mike?
I've said all I know already.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 6, 2012, 05:35 AM
Hmm, I'd say having your character become an NPC is going to be a bit jarring when you actually meet him/her when playing that exact character. ^_^ Twins! Or perhaps Evil Twin!

Anyway, this sounds better suited for secondary characters rather than your own main and alts. Will likely give it a shot.

Rizen
Apr 6, 2012, 05:55 AM
Let's hope that your character doesn't get eaten like the character contest on Total Drama Island. :P

Ryoten
Apr 6, 2012, 06:23 AM
I believe you'll see your character in cut-scenes more than anything. Knowing how the gaming world is, its either two things that will happen to your character (or npc): 1) You'll be walking around the lobby like any other npc(s) or 2) Show up in a cut scene & do a bad ass move only to end up killed in the end. Just my thinking btw.

ClothoBuer
Apr 6, 2012, 06:27 AM
I believe you'll see your character in cut-scenes more than anything. Knowing how the gaming world is, its either two things that will happen to your character (or npc): 1) You'll be walking around the lobby like any other npc(s) or 2) Show up in a cut scene & do a bad ass move only to end up killed in the end. Just my thinking btw.

I'd put my money on #1. Aside from maybe having a few lines of dialogue, or an occasional quest, it'll probably be a space-filler NPC.

Neith
Apr 6, 2012, 06:32 AM
Good news, except mags boosting player stats. I hated raising mags in PSO so I was hoping I could get away with avoiding them in this :lol:

Mike
Apr 6, 2012, 06:34 AM
I'd put my money on #1. Aside from maybe having a few lines of dialogue, or an occasional quest, it'll probably be a space-filler NPC.
And that should be good enough for most people. I'd be thrilled.

Hmm, I'd say having your character become an NPC is going to be a bit jarring when you actually meet him/her when playing that exact character.
Yes, but on the other hand, your character will always be a part of the game even after you stop playing.

Rizen
Apr 6, 2012, 06:36 AM
Good news, except mags boosting player stats. I hated raising mags in PSO so I was hoping I could get away with avoiding them in this :lol:
I wasn't a fan of the mags boosting stats for different reasons at first. I remember my friend got a mag from someone and he was doing crazy insane damage and using rares that I couldn't touch for another 80 levels.... then when I started working on alts, I found it to be amazing!

ClothoBuer
Apr 6, 2012, 06:44 AM
And that should be good enough for most people. I'd be thrilled.

Not saying it's a bad thing, just saying don't expect too much from it. It'll be interesting to see what they go with as the winner.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 6, 2012, 07:06 AM
Yes, but on the other hand, your character will always be a part of the game even after you stop playing.

True that. I wonder if it's possible to have the NPC disappear only when you're online? XD That way you won't have an evil doppleganger running around when you're playing.

@Ryoten: Not sure if no. 2 would be really considered a prize if it did happen. More booby trap than anything. Still, rule of thumb says that developers won't have the time to add such an extravagant prize for something like a character contest. Definitely going to be no. 1.

I'm actually wondering what else might be prizes. Early dibs on certain in game items? A special costume? I had concerns that they might actually snail mail some swag to a prize winner's doorstep, but it doesn't seem so likely now.

Aiex
Apr 6, 2012, 08:00 AM
I'm glad mags will give stat boosts. It's so convenient when you start a new alt to be able to pass them a mag. It creates a neat niche in the economy too.

Wayu
Apr 6, 2012, 08:26 AM
I wantz my characters to be NPCs. :3

But the possibility's so low that the chances of one of ours getting chosen are fairly nonexistent. xD

-Wayu

kyuuketsuki
Apr 6, 2012, 10:11 AM
Just because there are mags and they affect stats does not mean it will work like PSO.

Kudwafter
Apr 6, 2012, 10:17 AM
I guess we'll have to wait and see when they dish out some more information.

Golto
Apr 6, 2012, 11:17 AM
Hmm Emergency Quests happening at 3 a.m. your time?

landman
Apr 6, 2012, 11:41 AM
Let's hope MAGs are character binded, the concept of adding to your stats is not bad, the fact that you can boost a low lvl character is. And weapons being equipped by a stat requirement is a step back, this penalizes weaker characters when equiping better weapons or armour, I though the base level requirement in Zero was a good idea.

Will emergenci missions be announced on twitter, please?? :wacko:

Kazzi
Apr 6, 2012, 11:48 AM
I wonder if we'll be able to have multiple mags in PSO2? And how would we obtain them if we did? I personally don't like the "energy" bar idea though. I hope that by "they won't be able to function" means they just float around and not do any of the actions, not actually stop working all together or stop boosting your stats.

I figured the character contest would make you an NPC in the game, even if it's just one of the ghosties that walk around the lobby it would be pretty neat!

Randomness
Apr 6, 2012, 12:08 PM
I wantz my characters to be NPCs. :3

But the possibility's so low that the chances of one of ours getting chosen are fairly nonexistent. xD

-Wayu

But the cost to enter is basically zero as well (for anyone who actually took the time to tweak a char in the creator). So, why not?

Aiex
Apr 6, 2012, 01:18 PM
I wonder if we'll be able to have multiple mags in PSO2? And how would we obtain them if we did? I personally don't like the "energy" bar idea though. I hope that by "they won't be able to function" means they just float around and not do any of the actions, not actually stop working all together or stop boosting your stats.

In PSO you could just find mags in boxes in the field. It was pretty rare though.

There was also an equivalent to an energy bar in PSO. I think it was called sync? In any case, it controlled the odds of your mag giving you a bonus when your HP got low, your PB filled up, or you started a boss battle. This energy bar sounds different though.

Xaton
Apr 6, 2012, 01:49 PM
Hmm, I'd say having your character become an NPC is going to be a bit jarring when you actually meet him/her when playing that exact character. ^_^ Twins! Or perhaps Evil Twin!

Anyway, this sounds better suited for secondary characters rather than your own main and alts. Will likely give it a shot.

no no this is phantasy star with gen spliceing Tech stuff a CLONE! XD

RikkiBlackNanobeast
Apr 6, 2012, 03:36 PM
Wonder how they'll feel about my Chocolate FOcast... :p

If only you could make fat robots, he'd be perfect... X3

Griffin
Apr 6, 2012, 04:02 PM
PSO2 needs a strong black woman for NPC.

maxx69
Apr 6, 2012, 04:15 PM

╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no scape dolls ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝

Rizen
Apr 6, 2012, 08:54 PM
╔══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╗
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ Repost this if ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ you are a beautiful strong black woman ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ who don’t need no scape dolls ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
╚══════════════ ೋღ☃ღೋ ══════════════╝
Fix'd and agreed!

Titan
Apr 6, 2012, 09:05 PM
Nah, we need another strong hispanic woman kind of like Laia Martinez.

Also wouldn't that be weird if your character wins and then all your friends and yourself have to talk to your twin for missions. Total Recall anyone?

pikachief
Apr 6, 2012, 09:47 PM
Wonder how they'll feel about my Chocolate FOcast... :p

If only you could make fat robots, he'd be perfect... X3

I'm pretty sure you can... D:

Finalzone
Apr 7, 2012, 01:39 PM
+1. Adding more diversity in PS world. PSU has few of them like the little kid Param with blonde hair (black people with actual blond curly hair exist).

NoiseHERO
Apr 7, 2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah but they don't when that's ALL Japanese artists are okay with using! (Without making them monstrously ugly like Ramar.)

Just admit they're ganguros and make REAL black people!

This game only having like 3 and half black hairstyles(+that ONE goofy looking Afro in the cash shop picture.) isn't helping. ]:

BIG OLAF
Apr 7, 2012, 02:12 PM

*looks at signature*

What would make you say that, I wonder?

:wacko: