PDA

View Full Version : How PSO-W people thought about PSO2 11 years ago x3

Reia
Apr 8, 2012, 02:03 AM
I'm sorry I'm not making a relevant thread of the ingame deeply but I want the people of the forum get some fun, I decided to epic necro an 11 years old thread I bumped in with the google.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=660

I decided to put a necro post here to bump it:
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2732963#post2732963

Enjoy reading the people's worries 11 years ago about this game x3

Keyhre
Apr 8, 2012, 02:40 AM
Hah so fun to see again, nice find =)

I also like in reference to server side: "I highly doubt that they will do that since I bet that a good percent of the player base does not play online. So they would lose the sales from that aspect." Oh how internet technology has changed now lol

Ark22
Apr 8, 2012, 03:04 AM
Gotta bed! We can discover things in the morning haha no seriously awesome find xD

Ok folks I have a question...We are all making comments on how PSO2 should be done...but is anyone submitting this info to Sonic Team? We should inform them if noone is. I am sure that some of the great ideas that I read would be added. If need be I will submit them myself if someone gets a list together..

Poor Tommy, his request was never fufilled.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 8, 2012, 04:03 AM
Good stuff. Totally worth the necro.

moorebounce
Apr 8, 2012, 06:46 AM
I didn't even know PSO-world was around back then. I know most of us were on the Sega boards. My main gripe back then was about the hacking after being partially NOLed and losing your meseta and weapon when you died especially when you played with other people. More times than not they would pick up your meseta and weapon and disappear.

Neith
Apr 8, 2012, 07:00 AM
I didn't even know PSO-world was around back then. I know most of us were on the Sega boards. My main gripe back then was about the hacking after being partially NOLed and losing your meseta and weapon when you died especially when you played with other people. More times than not they would pick up your meseta and weapon and disappear.

As far as I know, PSOW launched in about 2001.

Kinda funny seeing how views have changed over the years though, nice find.

Edit: Funny that people wanted Section IDs removing; I always thought that was one of the most interesting parts of PSO, shame the idea didn't carry over into later games...

shiink
Apr 8, 2012, 07:05 AM

This may be a bit sadistic of me, but that I think added an extra level of reality to the early versions of PSO. Though it was awful to lose your character or weapons you worked so hard for, and ultimately led to spending most of my time playing offline. I think it made when I did play online more exciting. I had to play knowing it may be the last time I will be able to use that character again. It was kinda like being in a futuristic Vietnam or something lol.

Good find. It is interesting to see how different things have become in over 10 years.

Angelo
Apr 8, 2012, 07:31 AM
"Send these ideas to Sonic Team!"

Man, fans were so much more naive about how development worked back then.

Dhylec
Apr 8, 2012, 08:56 AM
Edit: Funny that people wanted Section IDs removing; I always thought that was one of the most interesting parts of PSO, shame the idea didn't carry over into later games...

ID's a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's nice to have a different badge for your ID, as well as some unique drops.
But, on the other hand, the pain of not being able to name your char the way you wanted is a turn off. We've all seen name with many extras spaces or other symbols thanked to this. Plus, you're forced to find an ID & char at the right lv to lead your party if you're to hunt that ID's drops.

r00tabaga
Apr 8, 2012, 08:57 AM
"Send these ideas to Sonic Team!"

Man, fans were so much more naive about how development worked back then.

People still think they can email Sakai's team directly and protest Vita to get heard. Some things never change.

Neith
Apr 8, 2012, 11:06 AM
ID's a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's nice to have a different badge for your ID, as well as some unique drops. But, on the other hand, the pain of not being able to name your char. the way you wanted is a turn of. We've all seen name with many extras spaces or other symbols thanked to this. Plus, you're forced to find an ID & char at the right lv to lead your party if you're to hunt that ID's drops.

I agree with that but I think IDs made the game more fun. It encouraged you to party up (pain for offline-only players but otherwise fun) and allowed a lot more items to be included as drops in the game. Perhaps if a method of including IDs without linking it to your name was included it'd have been more popular.

Ark22
Apr 8, 2012, 11:07 AM
Lmao I was just about to make a topic on Section ID's, I like it because it made drops way more unique IMO.

moorebounce
Apr 8, 2012, 11:27 AM
Instead of being tied to your name it should've been tied to your race and class. That way you didn't have to think of and try a billion names until you got the ID you wanted.

Ark22
Apr 8, 2012, 11:56 AM
The name only killed it, I mean I don't want to name my character something else just to get a certain weapon (Plus PSO has ridiculous drop rates so I didn't care), I just loved whatever I was, I was gonna get a tattoo of Grennill on my shoulder haha. It just PSP2 drop system all drops felt the same and it felt lame.

Zorafim
Apr 8, 2012, 01:19 PM
I think it's funny how almost everything people complained about was fixed. Thanks for this bump, it's great seeing what people thought of a classic game when it was still new, a decade ago.

SELENNA
Apr 8, 2012, 01:33 PM
People still think they can email Sakai's team directly and protest Vita to get heard. Some things never change.

In fact you can, otherwise how do you think they got their feedback from alphas? If anything developers are MORE aware of their communities because they've been more accessible than ever thanks to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIN, etc.

Reia
Apr 8, 2012, 01:48 PM
Looks like I succeeded in amusing you guys by bringing something interesting to the boards :3 I will think on something else on the time but I'm currently out of ideas.

Zekester
Apr 8, 2012, 01:53 PM
I still like that idea about the Section IDs. I do hope they bring em in PSO2 and have them once again specific/unique drops for each ID.

Xaton
Apr 8, 2012, 01:54 PM
only complain so far is no offline mode. i mean let offline mode have data for it self and seperate from online as online data is serer side its quite easy to do this. or least offline mode for Vita

Reia
Apr 8, 2012, 01:55 PM
I still like that idea about the Section IDs. I do hope they bring em in PSO2 and have them once again specific/unique drops for each ID.

The good side is that you can "possibly" change classes. As it seems. So no more ID trolling like getting a Pinkal on a hunter.

only complain so far is no offline mode. i mean let offline mode have data for it self and seperate from online as online data is serer side its quite easy to do this. or least offline mode for Vita

Vita version confirmed to be free to download but requires to be connected online to play.

Xaton
Apr 8, 2012, 02:34 PM
The good side is that you can "possibly" change classes. As it seems. So no more ID trolling like getting a Pinkal on a hunter.

Vita version confirmed to be free to download but requires to be connected online to play.

yet what happens if they ever close servers suddenly vita game you bought useless. hence why i say offline mode that doesnt need the servers or anything and jus thave the data seperate. like online mode requres the sega servers. BUT the offline mode with data seperate can be standalone type thing.

Vashyron
Apr 8, 2012, 02:36 PM
yet what happens if they ever close servers suddenly vita game you bought useless. hence why i say offline mode that doesnt need the servers or anything and jus thave the data seperate. like online mode requres the sega servers. BUT the offline mode with data seperate can be standalone type thing.

You won't be buying the Vita game. It's a free Download.

Reia
Apr 8, 2012, 02:36 PM

Vita and Android will most likely be connected to the same server as PC. Kinda like many games got a universal server for all ports. So no worries about that.

Zorafim
Apr 8, 2012, 02:53 PM

PSU had that. It was a good idea, and it let you play with things that you wouldn't get online. But, it ended up being pretty boring.
PSP2 was pretty good offline, but that was because of the same reason PSO was. Your character was saved on the console, so you were using the same character online and offline. While great, this also would make the game easier to hack.

The only thing I can think of is to have another PSU ep1, where there's an offline story mode. But I'd prefer the development costs were spent making online mode more interesting.

I'd hate to say it, but I think online only is the way to go. And maybe, if the servers die, to release a version of the game which releases everything as an offline game.

Xaton
Apr 8, 2012, 04:29 PM
You won't be buying the Vita game. It's a free Download.

might be free BUt if use money for arks cash and all that stuff suddenl real money used and thus if they shut servers down hopefully lon glong time from now knock on wood. but if and when then a offline mode like a Freemode like in universe so you have say 6 charactors as online its 3 to make but 3 offline. that goes with everything. it follows the same story as the online like maybe you play online and it unlocks stuff to do offline story wise.

Reia
Apr 8, 2012, 04:57 PM
might be free BUt if use money for arks cash and all that stuff suddenl real money used and thus if they shut servers down hopefully lon glong time from now knock on wood. but if and when then a offline mode like a Freemode like in universe so you have say 6 charactors as online its 3 to make but 3 offline. that goes with everything. it follows the same story as the online like maybe you play online and it unlocks stuff to do offline story wise.

You are on the same moral dilemma as any F2P MMO.

Xaton
Apr 8, 2012, 05:00 PM
You are on the same moral dilemma as any F2P MMO.

YET most free to play mmos have no history of offlin eplay before. phantasy star does have that history. i can understand computer haveing online only but not console and stuff.

r00tabaga
Apr 8, 2012, 10:46 PM
Instead of being tied to your name it should've been tied to your race and class. That way you didn't have to think of and try a billion names until you got the ID you wanted.

Most, if not all, Section IDs were obtainable by simply adding a space or two after your characters name. These spaces were not seen.

Reia
Apr 8, 2012, 10:52 PM
Most, if not all, Section IDs were obtainable by simply adding a space or two after your characters name. These spaces were not seen.

That was because you were adding an extra value. The code of section ID calculating was simple, every Alphanumeric character and letter of any of the languages the game supported got a numeric value, the numeric value looped on a bit format depending from the last number from 0-7 it granted you the following section ID. So the sum up of all your characters defined by the last number of the Cipher the Section ID you got, for example, you could get the same Sect ID if you used Acronysms, like dracula and alucard will get the same so as Dracula with alucarD. Adding a space gave more another summing integer that changed whole the calculation since it was like you were adding an extra character.

Ioriya
Apr 8, 2012, 11:11 PM
I started high school back then. I still remember the day i saw PSO in a Gamepro magazine.

I'm not making this up either. Time sure flies...

yoshiblue
Apr 8, 2012, 11:13 PM
Would be funny if the rumored Dreamcast 2 came out day PSO2 did.

Mike
Apr 8, 2012, 11:17 PM
In fact you can, otherwise how do you think they got their feedback from alphas? If anything developers are MORE aware of their communities because they've been more accessible than ever thanks to Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIN, etc.
Commentary from testers was sent on the test site, not any social networking service.

metatime
Apr 9, 2012, 11:09 AM
ID's a double-edged sword. On one hand, it's nice to have a different badge for your ID, as well as some unique drops. But, on the other hand, the pain of not being able to name your char. the way you wanted is a turn of. We've all seen name with many extras spaces or other symbols thanked to this. Plus, you're forced to find an ID & char at the right lv to lead your party if you're to hunt that ID's drops.

Yeah it didn't make sense that you can't pick your ID instead of having to rely on luck or basing off an algorithm from your name just to get the ID.

Ryo
Apr 9, 2012, 03:19 PM

Yup! PSOW was around back then, just check my sign up date :) I used to only play with reputable folks that would protect my weapon and meseta. Actually, that's how I ended up in the MAMAK group way back in the day.

Zorafim
Apr 9, 2012, 04:37 PM
How have you been around for 11 years and only posted 19 times?

Ryo
Apr 9, 2012, 04:46 PM
How have you been around for 11 years and only posted 19 times?

I was never much of a forum poster here. I posted looking for trades a few times, but I did most of my business on the sega forums. I usually just get my news here and use the item DB.

But with how much things have changed in 11 years, I like the community here better and will likely use PSOW as my hub for finding viable teams.

Ark22
Apr 9, 2012, 04:51 PM
I remember going here as a kid, like....7 haha.

Ark22
Apr 9, 2012, 10:01 PM
So when PSO2 comes out we have to start talking about PSO3

Reia
Apr 9, 2012, 10:01 PM
@Ryo, Maybe you found this thread laughable. Specially checking your post history you just posted once at same time this posts were fresh new then never posted again until this year.

Atm I got a warning for necroing but it was worth the fun :3 I may think in a way to revive the dead without getting a warning in the future now thought.

Dhylec
Apr 9, 2012, 10:42 PM
Atm I got a warning for necroing but it was worth the fun :3 I may think in a way to revive the dead without getting a warning in the future now thought.
Here' the easy way that won't get ya a warning: try to start a new thread on the same/similiar topic as the original & link or quote the post/s from there.

Zeota
Apr 9, 2012, 10:56 PM
I didn't mind the whole section ID thing so much, apart from being inundated with chain sawds in v2 Skyly caves.

I remember getting hyped for GC PSO around this time 10 years ago.

TelleT
Apr 10, 2012, 03:39 PM
Nice find! Good old times :)

Randomness
Apr 10, 2012, 03:54 PM

PSP2 had drop charts by class, and it was STILL annoying.

r00tabaga
Apr 10, 2012, 04:36 PM
I can see why so many people hated Section IDs. People are lazy.
For me, it was nice to have something unique, something different than what everybody else was getting. I even used this site's Section ID calculator back in the day to get an ID different than my friends. IDs were what made trading fun. Now anybody can get anything.......boring. Kinda sad to see it go. ^^;

And they looked cool!

yoshiblue
Apr 10, 2012, 04:41 PM
Why not just have two names? One for your character and another one that acts kinda like a nickname and effects the section ID.

Or have the same setup as PSO but have a choice to use a nickname over your character's name.