PDA

View Full Version : Game Skullgirls

DayDreamer
Apr 10, 2012, 10:16 PM
Anyone getting it?
There is a demo out on psn right now :3
The AI is abit insane but its alot of fun, and the art is beautiful.

Im not crazy about IGN's reviews but this one is pretty spot on about how I felt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1u038WaRX8

LK1721
Apr 10, 2012, 10:25 PM
I'll probably be picking the game up for the 360, and will more than likely be rocking Parasoul for a character. It looks like a really fun game and is pretty cheap, so I say why not?

DayDreamer
Apr 10, 2012, 11:50 PM
Parasoul's attack's aren't right for me, I love Cerebella's long range punches and what not :P
When I download Journey, im downloading this xD

Mantiskilla
Apr 11, 2012, 07:38 PM
Played the demo (PS3) and its was alright. Might be something I pickup down the road (360 or PS3 not sure), but not a purchase for me at this time.

Neo Flint
Apr 11, 2012, 08:04 PM
Looks pretty cool. Though I'd rather not watch a video review made by IGN. Don't really trust those guys.

NoiseHERO
Apr 11, 2012, 10:30 PM
Looks like Paul Robertson had sex with the guys that made blazeblue and had a crazy Japanese lesbian Otaku daughter and her e-boyfriend talked her into making this game during a random MSN conversation.

In other words, looks playable.

Also purely side scrolling fighting games should stick to 2D after street fighter 3.

DayDreamer
Apr 12, 2012, 09:41 AM
Looks pretty cool. Though I'd rather not watch a video review made by IGN. Don't really trust those guys.

I'm not crazy about ign either, but it gave my general view point on the game

Slidikins
Apr 13, 2012, 07:03 AM
I picked it up. Really solid engine so far, best hitboxes I've ever seen. Only 8 characters, but they're pretty unique and fun. I'm learning Painwheel and Ms. Fortune at the moment, though I have to spend tons of time in the lab figuring everything out.

I would recommend it for more serious fighting game players. The execution feels more classic and rigid than most modern games.

therealAERO
Apr 13, 2012, 01:53 PM
Paul Robertsons girlfriend(girl pal...whatever they are now) is the lead animator for Skull Girls...so yeah.

NoiseHERO
Apr 13, 2012, 02:51 PM
Paul Robertsons girlfriend(girl pal...whatever they are now) is the lead animator for Skull Girls...so yeah.

Close enough *shrugs* o_O

Weeaboolits
Apr 13, 2012, 05:24 PM
It is fun, Peacock is awesome.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m29y2j2CRN1r6spqho1_400.gif

DayDreamer
Apr 14, 2012, 05:29 AM
It is fun, Peacock is awesome.

http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m29y2j2CRN1r6spqho1_400.gif

..Peacock scares me, she changed my perception on old cartoons completely O. o
*goes back to hiding behind Cerebella*

Akaimizu
Apr 14, 2012, 05:35 AM
Well, considering that I never get to forget how insanely scary old cartoons are, I actually didn't get my perception changed by this character. Peacock actually fits right into those old cartoons. Still, the game seems like one of those high quality doujin games like Melty Blood. Though with a little less frames of animation on the attacks, and definitely a lot less frames on attacks than something like Street Fighter 3, Mark of the Wolves, or KOF 13. Still, looks like fun. If Capcom can't give us another Vampire game, at least we can get these.

DayDreamer
Apr 14, 2012, 05:39 AM
Well, considering that I never get to forget how insanely scary old cartoons are, I actually didn't get my perception changed by this character. Peacock actually fits right into those old cartoons. Still, the game seems like one of those high quality doujin games like Melty Blood. Though with a little less frames of animation on the attacks, and definitely a lot less frames on attacks than something like Street Fighter 3, Mark of the Wolves, or KOF 13. Still, looks like fun. If Capcom can't give us another Vampire game, at least we can get these.
What kind of cartoons did you watch? xD
I only remember watching like Felix the cat and Popeye.

Akaimizu
Apr 14, 2012, 05:51 AM
Well, I did watch Felix and Popeye. But I also watched Woody Woodpecker and Looney Tunes and such. Now, the thing is, that they would sometimes show the OLD Woody and Looney Tunes cartoons and those were quite a different beast. Especially the old Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies. Now these were classics made way before I was born, but the stuff from the 40s, 50s, and such sometimes are like horrific nightmares depending on your perspective. Whether it is by the visual way they were drawn, or by actions. Sometimes they were violently dark in comparison.

Take note, there was a Twilight Zone episode in the 80s (I think) where a little boy, who had a huge thing for classic Looney Tunes cartoons, had the power to make them manifest themselves in reality. He terrorized his entire family with that stuff. He would use stuff those cartoons did on anybody who crossed him. Of course, in those cartoons, the stuff is just done to cartoon characters who aren't living, so to a degree there's a bit less of a *oh the horror* with them. However, in comparison to cartoons today, I would say the old ones could disturb today's cartoon watcher. They used to do plain surreal brutal things to each other, where there must've been some dark humor due to the surreal method of violent slapstick which would usually be quite fatal. However, there was no red blood, so Mortal Kombat it wasn't.

DayDreamer
Apr 14, 2012, 06:02 AM
I honestly grew an extreme hate for todays current cartoons.
The few times i ever see them (hasn't turned on my tv for my own enjoyment in like 3 years now) I turn them off and go watch Tom and Jerry or something. I just dont get what I like about the older cartoons compared to the cartoons now days.
It cant be nostalgia, I'll watch any older cartoon and enjoy it. Maybe it was just the "style" of the time, and how it was approached.

Anyway for the sake of being on topic,
My friend told me yesterday that the people behind the art work for this game also did Scott Pilgrim vs the world, is that true? xD

NoiseHERO
Apr 14, 2012, 06:47 AM
I honestly grew an extreme hate for todays current cartoons.
The few times i ever see them (hasn't turned on my tv for my own enjoyment in like 3 years now) I turn them off and go watch Tom and Jerry or something. I just dont get what I like about the older cartoons compared to the cartoons now days.
It cant be nostalgia, I'll watch any older cartoon and enjoy it. Maybe it was just the "style" of the time, and how it was approached.

Anyway for the sake of being on topic,
My friend told me yesterday that the people behind the art work for this game also did Scott Pilgrim vs the world, is that true? xD

Paul Robertson did the art for Scott Pilgrim, His art is worth a look at.

Someone on the front page said it was his friend that did the art for THIS game though.

Also how can you like Scott Pilgrim and not like regular show(Modern Cartoon)? D:

DayDreamer
Apr 14, 2012, 07:34 AM

Someone on the front page said it was his friend that did the art for THIS game though.

Also how can you like Scott Pilgrim and not like regular show(Modern Cartoon)? D:

Like I said, I rarely watch cartoons or Tv in general.
My tv has become youtube xD

Im not saying ALL modern day cartoons are bad, im just saying the majority of the ones I have seen are rather.. yea. Again this is just my opinion, im sure there are plenty good ones out there :>

Zarode
Apr 14, 2012, 11:44 AM
Game's alright. Not really for me. I noticed I'm okay with fighters, but I think I like more action based fighting in the end. More controls in my opinion. At least the game has a well written tutorial. That should always be the first thing these games boast, not story lines. Nobody cares about your animes and how they want to revive dead people because their anime emotions dictate so (i hate you so much blazblue).

Sayara
Apr 14, 2012, 11:50 AM

(Also how can you like Scott Pilgrim and not like regular show(Modern Cartoon)? D:)

Answer: They're two totally different genres of entertainment.

On topic though, this game looks interesting, but i doubt i have an engine to play it with.. Unless my PC can manhandle it. Also, implying it will be for PC?

Akaimizu
Apr 14, 2012, 11:52 AM
^ Funny. Looking at Peacock's design. And the Eyes on those feather-like things she has, I'd figure you'd be all over this. A minor nod to an art-aspect you've worked with. :)

Sayara
Apr 14, 2012, 11:55 AM
^ Funny. Looking at Peacock's design. And the Eyes on those feather-like things she has, I'd figure you'd be all over this. A minor nod to an art-aspect you've worked with. :)

She's a little unsettling for my taste. I think its that chaotic atmosphere she has. It disbalances my two different running art styles (one being neon color/random and eyes/penline shit) If i did try the game Id probably give her a run. Looks to be like a Faust type random jerk.

Akaimizu
Apr 14, 2012, 11:57 AM
Yeah. That could be true. Perhaps.

Sayara
Apr 14, 2012, 11:58 AM
As I say that, watch there be a neon color theme for that character. OK guys

DayDreamer
Apr 14, 2012, 12:45 PM
Also, implying it will be for PC?
Well its out for Ps3 and Xbox on psn and xbox live but as far as I know there is no PC version, which stinks cus that'd be awesome to play on steam or something.

Oh and there is a handheld version coming out
EDIT: The new handheld version is called Skullgals and will be released.. on the Neo Geo pocket o.e ...
Take a look for yourself (http://skullgirls.com/2012/04/skullgals-coming-to-handheldgaming-systems-in-early-2013/)

Akaimizu
Apr 14, 2012, 11:40 PM
Nice april fools. Kind of a shame it is if only because of the Neo Geo Pocket Color's superior controls. If anything, it would control incredibly well.

DayDreamer
Apr 15, 2012, 12:41 AM
Nice april fools.
It was still April so i thought, Eh why not :3

Weeaboolits
Apr 15, 2012, 03:43 AM
As I say that, watch there be a neon color theme for that character. OK guysI think there is, but the monochrome one is my favorite.

[spoiler-box]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6162/6164359445_f361d84c12.jpg[/spoiler-box]

NoiseHERO
Apr 15, 2012, 08:34 AM
Answer: They're two totally different genres of entertainment.

On topic though, this game looks interesting, but i doubt i have an engine to play it with.. Unless my PC can manhandle it. Also, implying it will be for PC?

I figured a similar artstyle and sense of humor would be enough. D:

Cartoons are just animated comics to me. ]:

Sayara
Apr 15, 2012, 09:45 AM
They are infact animated comics but consider that the comics content are what makes the difference in animation. Like. the animated movie Persepolis is NOT considered comedic very much and is more so a drama.... vs say... Young Justice which is a total action comic/show.

DayDreamer
Apr 15, 2012, 11:32 AM
I think there is, but the monochrome one is my favorite.

[spoiler-box]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6162/6164359445_f361d84c12.jpg[/spoiler-box]
That Monochrome one is amazing xD
Im getting a psn card soon to pick up this and Journey

Mega Ultra Chicken
Apr 15, 2012, 04:18 PM
I think Peacock alone may have sold this game for me.

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 15, 2012, 09:32 PM
Still, the game seems like one of those high quality doujin games like Melty Blood. Though with a little less frames of animation on the attacks, and definitely a lot less frames on attacks than something like Street Fighter 3, Mark of the Wolves, or KOF 13. Still, looks like fun. If Capcom can't give us another Vampire game, at least we can get these.
Counted up info given out, IIRC, 1600 a character, wheras SF3, the ~1200 character. Highest = Ibuki, Lower Hugo & Q probably.

And this is with a game that has only 1 win pose each for now and no taunts yet.
Some players noted there might be too many animations, hard to tell when moves were active, when they're done being hit, etc. Asking the devs for a few more static frames in there.

List of artists in the credits, a lot (more than just some ScottPilgrim whoever). Good work ya'll.

I would recommend it for more serious fighting game players. The execution feels more classic and rigid than most modern games.
But if you're interested at all, it's still good fun, and cheap enough where it won't feel like a wasted purchase if people just want to mess around with friends.

Tons of leniency with crumples, ground bounce, wall bounces, and more like other current era fighting games to usually always be able to hit some more after a Super hits without the harder stuff for most in terms of IAD, wavedash up, etc. Agree with lots more depth there if people want to take it more seriously.

Game's alright. Not really for me. I noticed I'm okay with fighters, but I think I like more action based fighting in the end. More controls in my opinion. At least the game has a well written tutorial. That should always be the first thing these games boast, not story lines. Nobody cares about your animes and how they want to revive dead people because their anime emotions dictate so (i hate you so much blazblue).
Righto. Nobody seems to want to tell people, blocking is paramount! Especially when the one jab leads to the rest = you're dead, GG. The included "Infinite Prevention system" more or less means bursts/combo breakers too, without using meter for it like GG, MK9, or TvC, but its based on loops that are too monotonous, and show up as a different color hit spark when you can. Something else they might need to tell people right off the bat.

Story mode at least has some more interesting music from the likes of Castlevania's Michiru Yamane.

Keeping control of your doods is pretty important. Tutorial still missing things like Push Blocking, the things added for leniency on 360 grabs without jumping from the errant up direction held too long in the motion, can do em pretty slow here. Dash as soon as you leave the ground, it'll buffer that in to do it at the minimum height for you.

Mike Z still missing, DON'T JUST JUMP IN NON STOP TO "CONFIRM" Oh you got the Jab->Wolverine super mash out while getting hit, okay it hit for 20% damage what you got now with no more meters?

& Setting GGPO DELAY to maximum 8 input lag, when you're under 80 ping anyway = you're slowing down the game for both players. I've heard the details on setting it low for high ping, but not the other way around.

Just seen on a tournament, you lose your meters if 1 vs 1, next round, BlazBlue style. Better hit those Peacock Lv 3 beatdowns everytime when you get those meters, even if you don't need all the damage to win.

Lookit this wall o text, unengaging tangent or tl;dr making em frown.
Shoulda just said Peacock is cool. Jet boostin, double jumpin.

Sayara
Apr 15, 2012, 09:34 PM
What honestly bugs me about the game visually is the amazing ability of 90% of the cast being fan-servicy for pretty much no reason at all. I mean what point have a miniskirt so tiny for Filla? or whatever onepiece Parasoul wears. Seems unecessary to me :/

HAYABUSA-FMW-
Apr 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
Heard it was parody as well as, you're a big creeper weirdo, main art dude.

[spoiler-box]You might've heard both in your art career! Or that "leave me alone its my STYLE"[/spoiler-box]

But the fighting is serious enough where its only sometimes where necessary kicking high and such where it would be unavoidable, striped underwear shown <- for a fan on forums asking for such a palette, he got it.

I mean, its not like KOF Mai. /Don'tShinPost

Only neon colors out the box, SF x Tekken fans, is the Double neon green I think. Green gumby thing like X.C.O.P.Y. 12 in SF3, okay with this.

DayDreamer
Apr 15, 2012, 10:34 PM
What honestly bugs me about the game visually is the amazing ability of 90% of the cast being fan-servicy for pretty much no reason at all. I mean what point have a miniskirt so tiny for Filla? or whatever onepiece Parasoul wears. Seems unecessary to me :/
Because apparently that's the only way women can be portrayed as "beautiful" and "sexy" which IMO is total bullshit

I completely agree with you.

Sayara
Apr 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
http://www.game-art-hq.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/King-Of-Fighters-2003-Game-Character-Official-Artwork-Render-Leona-Heidern.jpg
So, totally not that true yo!

NoiseHERO
Apr 15, 2012, 11:34 PM
I thought shallow media went with both genders? D:

Unless you're a badguy, that's where all the fat chicks and realistic face'd men are.

Mega Ultra Chicken
Apr 16, 2012, 12:36 AM

Your math is kinda off, but at least 60% of them are fanservicey. For the exceptions: Peacock's in a full-length dress and top hat, Painwheel's grotesque because of her bare skin, and... Double. Just Double. The boobs make her even stranger-looking somehow. One could say they know how to make fanservice disturbing as well as... fanservice.

But the rest of the characters have probably never heard of anything longer than a miniskirt.

Sayara
Apr 16, 2012, 05:42 AM
One can argue Painwheel's grotesque nature could fetish some peoples likings. Though i can see my flawed math. But my point still stands. these girls...could see some pants in their new future id hope D;

DayDreamer
Apr 16, 2012, 06:23 AM
I can imagine them getting rather cold..
justsayin o -o

Warmth > "sexiness"

Akaimizu
Apr 16, 2012, 02:37 PM
One can argue Painwheel's grotesque nature could fetish some peoples likings. Though i can see my flawed math. But my point still stands. these girls...could see some pants in their new future id hope D;

Kind of reminds me of my quips about Phantasy Star clothing choices, no?

Sayara
Apr 16, 2012, 02:51 PM
I find it more and more difficult finding "decent" looking outfits for characters now a days. On any medium of gaming (be it the West or the East.) Though that isn't to say they don't exist. One can even get some outfits to work in alot of games. (Honestly, leggings on some of these girls could fix that fab. problem well at least the hair girl.)

Not to say Im not innocent of doing lewdy outfits but i guess its all relative isn't it. In any case, If it comes to PC i'll try it out, but otherwise I'll pass

Akaimizu
Apr 16, 2012, 05:33 PM
Actually, my favorite female outfits (though sometimes limited, in some games) is MMOs, particularly the Western art-styled ones. Those usually have a pretty good gambit of clothing choices. The problem is that it is often either class or race limited. So often enough you need to pick a particular build if you want the classification of outfits to wear.

For instance, I can play AION on PC. Perhaps pick a Healer class and have some beautiful full outfits to wear with impressive animations when you cast spells and stuff. However, I might want to go a whole different route with outfit wearing and I don't have those choices.

Just give you a warning, the game is SNK hard. They definitely don't get light on you. The difficulty spikes right up to *experienced* fighter by the time you get to your 2nd fight in story mode on normal. So, um. Expect the CPU to hand your butt to you quickly. The key is to learn the combos and pressure tactics quickly. The issue is that well, what game expects you to be that good on the second fight? This one, it seems.

However, getting some quick pressure stuff will carry you through after that. You just have to remember this is more or less a rush down game.

DayDreamer
Apr 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
Yea, I experienced the difficulty spike even in the trail version of the game. I put on sleepwalk mode thinking that it would be a good place to start, only to realize my opponent was pulling off a 15combo attack on me at random. My first play through I sort of just took advantage of Cerebella's long range fist..hat o.e

But yea im not super happy about how some of the characters look, but what can you do :/
I just wish people would realize you don't have to wear a miniskirt to be "Cute" e- e, that goes for real life to.

Akaimizu
Apr 17, 2012, 11:34 AM
Started with Fillia (the one with the possessed parasite Hair), who is much more "in your face". I basically had to utilize and find some B&B combos for her quick, that's all. Oddly enough, once it spikes it kind of stays there until you get to the Boss at the end. The Boss is not really harder outside of some cheese tactics where you can't tell what move she's about to do, and the fact that you need to run away from her once her hit points reach 2 different levels. (Her explosive entries to 2nd and 3rd stages).

Her level 1 super is pretty nice. It doesn't do as much damage as level 1 supers by itself, but it does if you remember that it bounces regular opponents and *wires* them. Akin to a King of Fighters "Wire move". On the bounce back, you can land another ground-hitting move (usually the uppercut) so that the super ends up doing the damage of other bigger level 1 supers. Her level 3 is really finicky. Looks like a pretty good counter super for an opponent jump-in, but it has a pretty lousy hitbox, otherwise, for a level 3 super. You can't "wire" into it, and it has sort of this upward forward trajectory. It'll miss anybody who is just a small distance away. Only hits a standing ground opponent up really close and in front of you.