PDA

View Full Version : 4/11 Official Blog: Character Contest and some more AC info

Mike
Apr 11, 2012, 04:13 AM
Today the official blog (http://ameblo.jp/sega-psblog/entry-11218374585.html) was updated with info on the character creator contest and some more info on character creation related Arks Cash info.

The character creator contest official site is up. You can get to it by clicking here (http://www.pso2chara.jp/). Entries will be accepted from today to 11:59 pm on April 20th. All the entries will then be examined by the Sega staff. A select number will then be available for the public to vote on them between April 27th and May 7th. Entrants will need to put their best creation forward because only one entry is allowed per person and there is no editing an entry once it has been submitted. There are a few prizes for those lucky enough to win one:
Grand Prize (1 person): Your character becomes an NPC in-game.
Producer's Award (1 person): You receive a 3D figure of your character.
Arks Award (1 person): You will receive a drawing of your character done by the art staff.
Rappy Award (5 people): A RAcaseal figure! (This one (http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193873))

I haven't see anything restricting participants to residents of Japan but I wouldn't be surprised if your entry was suspended because of it in the case of a prize needed to be sent.

One of the things people have been saying is that costumes lack variation. Luckily for you, there will be many more costume variations in the closed beta. There will be more hairstyles too! Of course, as many of you have predicted, these will be available with Arks Cash! Hooray!

The closed beta will also serve to demo a few new costumes. They won't be attainable yet but some NPCs will be wearing them so you can check them out in the lobby. The blog doesn't say how these costumes will be available but it's very likely that some will be AC.

Finally, the blog stats that you will only be able to make one character unless you purchase additional character slots with AC. The maximum number of characters across all ships (servers) is limited to 12. The purchasing of character slots is something that will be present in the closed beta so you'll have to use some of your alloted AC to make an alt.

Xaeris
Apr 11, 2012, 04:20 AM
I'm confused. Are they giving us AC to buy stuff with for testing purposes, or is the cash shop seriously going to be open through a beta?

Mitz
Apr 11, 2012, 04:21 AM
Thank you for the info Mike.

Personally, I'd rather shoot for Producer's Award, but I'd settle for any of the prizes really. Wonder how they'll judge. Sillyness? Quality? Mix of both?

I'm confused. Are they giving us AC to buy stuff with for testing purposes, or is the cash shop seriously going to be open through a beta?

They're giving us AC for us to buy things with in the closed beta for testing purposes.

Skyly
Apr 11, 2012, 04:30 AM

Don't quote me but I remember reading in a thread here that everyone in the closed beta would be allotted 10k AC.

Vashyron
Apr 11, 2012, 04:38 AM
Only 1 character slot is free eh?

I'm fine with this myself as I know I would only end up using extra characters if I filled my main character with max EXP, but I know some other people will be upset depending on the price. :wacko:

On the contest personally depending on what this player NPC does, I would also actually prefer the Producer's award.
Pssh, players will end up voting? Chances of some moe blob character winning increased ten fold.

Angelo
Apr 11, 2012, 04:38 AM
I hope later on you'll be able to buy your character as a figure for a cash price.

Great way to immortalize your adventures after the servers go down.

BIG OLAF
Apr 11, 2012, 04:43 AM
Well, I think I entered correctly.

EDIT: Also, only one character slot being free kind of blows. It seems almost too restrictive, in my opinion. I hope that's not a sign of things to come. Oh, and I highly doubt that any non-JP entries will even be considered for any of the prizes. But hey, can't win unless you try.

Mracless
Apr 11, 2012, 04:44 AM
The producer's award seems a lot better than the grand prize, to be honest. Always funny when the second prize is better than the first. I'd really love to win it, but too bad they probably wouldn't send anything outside of Japan.
Not that I'd be able to win, especially since I can't write an overview of my character in Japanese.

Hardly a surprise that they'll be selling character slots. I hope it'll just be a one off payment and not a monthly payment. As long as I can get what I consider to be essential, like 4 character slots, decent storage space, my shop, etc... for $60 or less, I'll be happy enough.

Vashyron
Apr 11, 2012, 05:03 AM
The maximum number of characters across all ships (servers) is limited to 12.

Can you clarify if this means you can have 12 characters per ship, or 12 characters max on all ships combined?

Spellbinder
Apr 11, 2012, 05:11 AM
Can you clarify if this means you can have 12 characters per ship, or 12 characters max on all ships combined?

Looks like 12 characters max among all the ships.

Sandmind
Apr 11, 2012, 05:14 AM
Character slot: Sound semi-fair enough, IF they not lying about F2P and never going P2W. After all, contrary to PSU, there is no character lv and only class lv, so 1 char is technically 3. Beside, multi account anyone?

ClothoBuer
Apr 11, 2012, 05:18 AM

12 characters period.

Seems like they're following FF14's approach, in that you had to spend money for additional slots, but one character could do anything. Makes sense to me, as SEGA needs some stuff to bring in cash, but I'm sure people will be raging about it all the same.

Vashyron
Apr 11, 2012, 05:19 AM
Character slot: Sound semi-fair enough, IF they not lying about F2P and never going P2W. After all, contrary to PSU, there is no character lv and only class lv, so 1 char is technically 3. Beside, multi account anyone?

Multi-account would work for someone who plans to never spend a dime, else I expect the price for having 4 accounts with 1 character each paying for something like trading privileges to be higher than someone who has 1 account with 4 characters with the same privileges.

Looks like 12 characters max among all the ships.

Reasonable. Was just curious anyway, doubt I was even going to make 4 characters let alone 12.

Razelis
Apr 11, 2012, 05:30 AM
Seems like they're following FF14's approach, in that you had to spend money for additional slots, but one character could do anything. Makes sense to me, as SEGA needs some stuff to bring in cash, but I'm sure people will be raging about it all the same.

Except that FFXIV is a P2P game.

Also I wonder if you pay monthly for the slots like in FFXIV, or one-time (doubt it tbh)

youcantcatchtheblue
Apr 11, 2012, 06:03 AM
The "pay money for more characters" thing is kinda o_O since you can just make as many new SEGA ID's as you want for free.

But whatever, like I said before, I'll throw my money in for them no matter what.

Mitz
Apr 11, 2012, 06:12 AM
The "pay money for more characters" thing is kinda o_O since you can just make as many new SEGA ID's as you want for free.

But whatever, like I said before, I'll throw my money in for them no matter what.

You'd miss out on the alt benefits though and I think the my room purchase applies to all characters so you might end up losing more money that way. Works in a pinch though, and I'll have to agree it's a little silly.

ClothoBuer
Apr 11, 2012, 06:12 AM

Also I wonder if you pay monthly for the slots like in FFXIV, or one-time (doubt it tbh)

Tacking on a monthly fee for character slots would make it, in essence, a subscription game, hence defeating the entire point of going F2P. Even if it is for extra slots, having a monthly fee equates to subscription models. As for the comparison to FF14, I'm simply drawing common ground in that both charge for extra character slots.

Blueblur
Apr 11, 2012, 06:17 AM
I'm totally fine with one free character slot as long as their others don't cost an arm and a leg.

Spellbinder
Apr 11, 2012, 06:21 AM
I'll admit I was hoping for maybe 3 character slots for free and paying for the rest. This is also still just the beta so they may change their minds in the future. Not a huge drawback to me though since I usually make just 1 character and stick with it. (The character creator is soooooooo much fun though).

Angry_Ryudo
Apr 11, 2012, 06:28 AM
What's the meaning of "PRコメント"? Comments on what? On your created character?

Mike
Apr 11, 2012, 06:31 AM
What's the meaning of "PRコメント"? Comments on what? On your created character?

Yup. In Japanese, of course.

NoiseHERO
Apr 11, 2012, 07:15 AM
I rrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyy want that action figure...

But is it an action figure... or just a model thingie?

And yeah I only planned to level up like two characters anyway (8-bit n Rock) So only one character for free doesn't bug me... Any character I make "for fun" I could make a spare account. Then being able to save your created characters as a file means you can have a bank of million of pre-created characters anyway.

moorebounce
Apr 11, 2012, 07:16 AM
Reasonable. Was just curious anyway, doubt I was even going to make 4 characters let alone 12.

Yeah I can only imagine doing 2 to 4 myself but 12 is better than 4. That must mean they'll have at least 3 ships with 4 slots per ship.

aslan_blue
Apr 11, 2012, 07:56 AM

Please make assure that it's a one off payment!
However, I still don't know how much it will cost for character slot.

Xenobia
Apr 11, 2012, 07:58 AM
I would rather buy arcs cash for every single slot, rather than paying for my account time every single month, every single year and up to 5-6 years, resulting into over 1000$, while i could get the most beautiful stuff for half than that and foolproof because should i run out of cash, or if i lose my credit card, i still can continue playing. When i have no time to play, i wont be charged all the time (hard to cancel!), its not a issue i have to tackle anymore. Such P2P can end at a price of a high end PC when playing many many years. Some people have no idea what kind of cash i had to pay at P2P and it was truly harder to cancel that account "auto-charge" than canceling a marriage. Actually its great because at PSU i only had 4 slots, despite the insane cash i paid. Now at PSO2 we get near endless slots when arcs cash used. So, Sega is motivated to provide even more service when stuff like that is around.

Ce'Nedra
Apr 11, 2012, 09:00 AM
Sounds fun, would love to get a figure/model whatever of Ce'Nedra ^^ How does the contest work though? I'm not home in reading Japanese at all =/

Mega Ultra Chicken
Apr 11, 2012, 09:16 AM
Still figuring out how to react to having only one character slot. I dunno whether to be distressed (unless the price for extra slots isn't that bad) or to remember that I only used alts extensively in PSOBB when I couldn't have more than one class on a single character. I love the theory of having alts, but they don't tend to go very far in practice (except in WoW, but that's a different leveling system from games like this.) Perhaps this actually gives me a reason to try reaching the maximum level on a character. Maybe I'll just do everything on my Shotanewm.

In other news, I'm interested in seeing the additional outfits they release in beta.

Ryoten
Apr 11, 2012, 09:18 AM
To be honest, the model sounds more like the grand prize than the NPC one. Now for the pay for extra character slots, I can reason with that. Since ppl might make their character on one ship but want to jump to another to join friends or so.

NoiseHERO
Apr 11, 2012, 09:29 AM
Still figuring out how to react to having only one character slot. I dunno whether to be distressed (unless the price for extra slots isn't that bad) or to remember that I only used alts extensively in PSOBB when I couldn't have more than one class on a single character. I love the theory of having alts, but they don't tend to go very far in practice (except in WoW, but that's a different leveling system from games like this.) Perhaps this actually gives me a reason to try reaching the maximum level on a character. Maybe I'll just do everything on my Shotanewm.

In other news, I'm interested in seeing the additional outfits they release in beta.

They showed the outfits that the story characters had so I'm guessing we'll get those.

But as well, they make it sound like there will be more than that. Well I guess there's the rappy outfits.

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 11, 2012, 09:37 AM
I hope later on you'll be able to buy your character as a figure for a cash price.

Great way to immortalize your adventures after the servers go down.

Maybe http://www.figureprints.com/ will add PSO2? There a little expensive, 129.95 for the entire character statue and 69.95 for just the bust. A friend got his WOW character done and it came out really nice they put a glass dome over it to keep the dust off the figure.

I'm sure if enough people badger them enough they will add PSO2.

Crystal_Shard
Apr 11, 2012, 10:05 AM
On the point that the model is a better prize than the NPC, that would depend on whether a figure printing service will exist or not. If it doesn't, then yes, it may well be the more permanent and better prize, but if the service exists, then the NPC inclusion becomes a rare, once in a lifetime deal instead(at least if they don't end up making contests like these frequent of course) .

*crosses fingers that there will be a 3D figure printing service available. Another case of "Sega, shut up and take my cash already, dammit!" for me really. Also wonders if I can use a middle man service's address in the case of getting a physical prize...

Was also hoping for at least 2-3 characters per free account, but as long as the alt fee is reasonable, I'll just spend based on my original budget, which was technically at least $10-20 a month.

youcantcatchtheblue
Apr 11, 2012, 10:21 AM
*drools at the thought of figure printing*

OMG, seriously that would be so amazing.....

Just imagine what SEGA could do with a factory that can make a figure out of anything PSO2's Character Creator spits out.

Noo, it can't be real.... IT'S TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE *cries*

Metsume
Apr 11, 2012, 10:25 AM
I'm sorry, I'm having a little bit of trouble figuring out what each box is asking.

Can someone give a simple translation for me? I'd really appreciate it.

I'd hate to miss out on something like this.

[EDIT]
Nevermind, I'm sorry. hahah My browser was able to translate it for me.

For anyone having the same problem I had, I've attached the translated version.

Zorafim
Apr 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
What amazing prizes. I even wouldn't mind the RAcaseal figure. It's a shame I can't enter. Even if I didn't win anything, I'd love to know how far my character goes.

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 11, 2012, 11:13 AM
For anyone that cares here is a review for a Figure Prints figure from Joystiq.
http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/06/22/turpstervision-figureprints-review/

Aumi
Apr 11, 2012, 11:36 AM
Only one slot to begin with? Oh well, they have to keep the game running somehow, and I'd say that character slots and character design options are fair uses of the AC system.

Anyway, I'll be sure to enter the character creation contest. I wonder, though, if international users are eligible, especially for the physical prizes. I'd love to have one of my characters 3D printed. D:

I don't want to win the RAcaseal though, I've already got it pre-ordered.

youcantcatchtheblue
Apr 11, 2012, 11:37 AM
For anyone that cares here is a review for a Figure Prints figure from Joystiq.
http://wow.joystiq.com/2009/06/22/turpstervision-figureprints-review/

Yes!!!! but... but... PSO2's character creator is infinitely more complex than WoW's :( (isn't it? I mean, who plays WoW anyway XD)

SEGA will make me SO HAPPY if they provide this service. I will BUY THE SHIT out of my characters, ALL 12 OF THEM

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 11, 2012, 11:40 AM
Yes!!!! but... but... PSO2's character creator is infinitely more complex than WoW's :( (isn't it? I mean, who plays WoW anyway XD)

SEGA will make me SO HAPPY if they provide this service. I will BUY THE SHIT out of my characters, ALL 12 OF THEM

Hrm, I wonder..... "hits the contact us link on FigurePrints page...."

Metsume
Apr 11, 2012, 12:11 PM
I just noticed when translating the first page of the Character Creation Contest.

"Grand Prix, producer award, Award ARCS, crappie award
presentation is scheduled for around November 5."

I guess Elenor is a "crappie award." LOL...

I agree-gree. I would live in a box with all my characters. hahaha

Zorafim
Apr 11, 2012, 12:53 PM
who plays WoW anyway XD)

Everyone. Fault the community all you like, it's pretty terrible. But the one thing they aren't lacking is numbers. Many people I've met in school play it. It's gotten a point where I can ask a stranger their server name, and they have a good probability of answering.

You're right about the character creator, though. Chose a race, a gender, a face, a skin color, a hair and hair color, and one piece of flair. That's all there is to it. It's so simple, I almost don't see why people would use it.

A figure of your own PSO character, though? A character whos personality you can directly control? I don't think I'd mind paying $100 for that.
Or win a contest.

Neith
Apr 11, 2012, 01:10 PM
One character slot? :disapprove:

Can't complain too much until I know the pricing and so forth but it seems like SoJ are really milking the cash shop idea. Wouldn't surprise me if you end up spending much more than you would have done with a monthly sub...

Character contest is cool, I'll throw an entry in but don't expect anything would be accept outside of Japan.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 11, 2012, 01:12 PM
I'm definitely going to enter, even knowing that non-JP residents will almost certainly be disqualified. I just need something to put in the PR comments field...

Also I have to agree with most that the 3D figure of my character is a better reward than having an in-game NPC. However, I'd be happy to win anything at all.

Metsume
Apr 11, 2012, 01:23 PM
You don't even know. I would streak all across my state for a model of my character.

Oh, no one asked? LOL...

Seriously, I've grown that attached to her. She first started on PSU, but I've recreated her in multiple games. Now, she's finally back where she belongs: here in my favorite series. I've come a long way with her. Best of all, she came from my mind! hahah

I'm sure there are many people who could gush about their characters and not many people would understand the way they do. It's a personal experience.

To have a special character you created and shared memories with over the course of many years made into a 3D model? That would be incredibly memoriable, something money could never buy.

But here's hoping there is some way to buy them in the future... hahah

Then again, first place may be the better prize in the long run. Your character would be know by every player, and many works of art could come from it, including figures and everything. Maybe even their own theme song. hahah

Honestly, I would be happy winning anything from this contest, especially the first two. I've also always wanted a drawing of Metsume.

Mag-X
Apr 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
You're right about the character creator, though. Chose a race, a gender, a face, a skin color, a hair and hair color, and one piece of flair. That's all there is to it. It's so simple, I almost don't see why people would use it.
Or win a contest.

I pretty much gave up on WoW during the trial when I got to the character creator. The lack of customization was one thing, but the fact that they're all freakin' hideous was too much. (Then I really did give up when I figured out it's just a boring point and click MMO.)

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 11, 2012, 02:01 PM
I pretty much gave up on WoW during the trial when I got to the character creator. The lack of customization was one thing, but the fact that they're all freakin' hideous was too much. (Then I really did give up when I figured out it's just a boring point and click MMO.)

I only played because some friends where playing it. I was just showing you all that there is a service that makes figures.

I sent them an e-mail asking if they could/would make PSO2 characters.

Oh hey, after almost 10 years of coming to this site I finally have over 200 post.

BIG OLAF
Apr 11, 2012, 02:04 PM
I doubt they'll even consider the suggestion. Based on the three they offer, it doesn't seem that they exhume resources on anything less than a sure-fire, multi-million dollar hit game/service.

Kazzi
Apr 11, 2012, 02:12 PM
I read through the TOS on the pso2chara.jp and didn't actually see anything that said it was exclusive to Japanese residents only. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Neith
Apr 11, 2012, 02:24 PM
I read through the TOS on the pso2chara.jp and didn't actually see anything that said it was exclusive to Japanese residents only. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?

Mike posted in the first post:

I haven't see anything restricting participants to residents of Japan but I wouldn't be surprised if your entry was suspended because of it in the case of a prize needed to be sent.

I entered anyway but it's very likely to be JP only even if it isn't explicitly stated.

AnnabellaRenee87
Apr 11, 2012, 02:25 PM
Mike posted in the first post:

I entered anyway but it's very likely to be JP only even if it isn't explicitly stated.

They may go by the address that we used for making our SEGA ID. If that's so then my Statue would go to Toyota.................

•Col•
Apr 11, 2012, 02:45 PM
Finally, the blog stats that you will only be able to make one character unless you purchase additional character slots with AC. The maximum number of characters across all ships (servers) is limited to 12.

Totally called this.

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2727756&postcount=128

buri-chan
Apr 11, 2012, 03:06 PM
Well I've gone over my character about five different rebuilds, and I'm finally happy enough with it. Even if there's probably a 9/10 chance that foreign entries will be vetoed, in the least they'll know there really is a market for the game. I guess.

Neith
Apr 11, 2012, 03:07 PM
They may go by the address that we used for making our SEGA ID. If that's so then my Statue would go to Toyota.................

Mine's probably heading to '1 Example Street' or whatever the default was :lol:

buri-chan
Apr 11, 2012, 03:26 PM
So what's all this say? Nothing important, I'd imagine, but still.

[spoiler-box]http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/2497/imgover.jpg[/spoiler-box]

landman
Apr 11, 2012, 03:46 PM
Is it clear or not that we will be able to change class in one character? I think to remember something about expanding the skill tree with cash shop but not sure if it was like being able to change to another class.

Paying for extra slots will kill my impulse to create joke characters ._.

soulpimpwizzurd
Apr 11, 2012, 04:22 PM
Multi-account would work for someone who plans to never spend a dime, else I expect the price for having 4 accounts with 1 character each paying for something like trading privileges to be higher than someone who has 1 account with 4 characters with the same privileges.

i wouldn't be surprised if the "privileges" you speak of would be restricted to one character each, so it wouldn't matter either way.

somehow i highly doubt there will be many cash shop privileges that are account-wide. most definitely they'll only be applicable to one character at a time.

eg: my room will have to be bought for each character. not just an account.

Rizen
Apr 11, 2012, 04:56 PM
Is it clear or not that we will be able to change class in one character? I think to remember something about expanding the skill tree with cash shop but not sure if it was like being able to change to another class.

Paying for extra slots will kill my impulse to create joke characters ._.
It's been stated that players will be able to switch classes in closed beta.

lostinseganet
Apr 11, 2012, 05:14 PM
I rrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaallllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll lllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy yyyyyyyyyy want that action figure...

But is it an action figure... or just a model thingie?

And yeah I only planned to level up like two characters anyway (8-bit n Rock) So only one character for free doesn't bug me... Any character I make "for fun" I could make a spare account. Then being able to save your created characters as a file means you can have a bank of million of pre-created characters anyway.what is the difference between action figure and model thingy? Is it like barbie and 12 inch tough guy gi joes.

Macman
Apr 11, 2012, 06:35 PM
Finally, the blog stats that you will only be able to make one character unless you purchase additional character slots with AC. The maximum number of characters across all ships (servers) is limited to 12. The purchasing of character slots is something that will be present in the closed beta so you'll have to use some of your alloted AC to make an alt.WHAT?!
Isn't it enough they're pretty much forcing you to shell out monthly for trade/room purposes? This is just gouging! :etongue:

Mike
Apr 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
what is the difference between action figure and model thingy? Is it like barbie and 12 inch tough guy gi joes.
The RAcaseal model is poseable and comes with a bunch of different stuff. There's not a whole lot of information about what the 3D-Figure will be though.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 11, 2012, 07:28 PM
Okay, I'd like to submit my character but I need someone to please translate the following into Japanese (real Japanese, not machine-translated):

"My character was inspired by the ancient Highlanders of Scotland, hence the fiery red hair. His face resembles a character from the sci-fi series Babylon 5, a warrior and diplomat. I feel he is a stoic, somber person on the outside but who burns with passion inside for things like honor, beauty, and love."

Yes, it's corny. Sue me. Pretty please, one of our Japanese experts? :)

Xenobia
Apr 11, 2012, 08:28 PM
One character slot? :disapprove:

Can't complain too much until I know the pricing and so forth but it seems like SoJ are really milking the cash shop idea. Wouldn't surprise me if you end up spending much more than you would have done with a monthly sub...
Depends on where you live and for how long you pay for account time... non US ghettos have to pay twice in a P2P, so it would be cheaper for those going F2P. They could probaby buy all the arc items and services and still stay lower than 5 year of subscription (as long as XBL and Steam is avoided, Steam-DRM can force marketplace, and set a uneven leech). Finally we dont know the prices yet, so its 100% guessing, nothing else. Just believe me that im gonna calculate hard, because im not a walking blood container.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 12, 2012, 02:04 AM
Aw, looks like all the people fluent in Japanese are MIA. :( I guess I'll have to go with the machine translation, which is probably pretty bad:

私の文字は、それ故にスコットランドの古代のハイランダー、燃えるような赤い髪に触発されました。彼の顔は SFシリーズバビロン5、戦士と外交官からの文字に似ています。私は彼が外でストイックな、地味な人だと思 うが、誰が名誉、美しさ、愛のようなもののために情熱の内部で燃える。

Spellbinder
Apr 12, 2012, 02:19 AM
What were you trying to say?

Edit: *scrolls up* Oh I see. Uh... If I can finish this paper. ^^

Resanoca
Apr 12, 2012, 02:21 AM
Seems we can download the beta now. D:

kyuuketsuki
Apr 12, 2012, 02:23 AM
What were you trying to say?

Edit: *scrolls up* Oh I see. Uh... If I can finish this paper. ^^
I certainly don't mean to steal time from productive pursuits (I assume you mean a school paper). And now I'm really curious as to just how bad that machine translation is, if you couldn't even tell what I was trying to say...

buri-chan
Apr 12, 2012, 02:39 AM
I just used a machine translation with very simple sentences. It looks really cute, like it was written by a little kid, but it got the point across. Fun part was coming up with the kana for the character name.

youcantcatchtheblue
Apr 12, 2012, 04:32 AM
And now I'm really curious as to just how bad that machine translation is, if you couldn't even tell what I was trying to say...

instead of "my character" it says "my letters" (as in typing characters ^^; ) lol

I would help you but I don't have a clue what the Japanese for "stoic somber Babylon 5 warrior diplomat" would be.
Wow, that's a mouthful!! XD

ShadowDragon28
Apr 12, 2012, 04:42 AM
Babylon 5, yes? Eh what about it?! (is hardcore B5 fan)

NoiseHERO
Apr 12, 2012, 06:08 AM
what is the difference between action figure and model thingy? Is it like barbie and 12 inch tough guy gi joes.

An action figure you can throw at the wall and it won't shatter into pieces.

A model you put together.

A statue, isn't pose-able.

aslan_blue
Apr 12, 2012, 06:34 AM
Okay, I'd like to submit my character but I need someone to please translate the following into Japanese (real Japanese, not machine-translated):

"My character was inspired by the ancient Highlanders of Scotland, hence the fiery red hair. His face resembles a character from the sci-fi series Babylon 5, a warrior and diplomat. I feel he is a stoic, somber person on the outside but who burns with passion inside for things like honor, beauty, and love."

Yes, it's corny. Sue me. Pretty please, one of our Japanese experts? :)

「私のキャラクターは、スコットランドの古代ハイランダーにインスパイアされたものです。それ故に燃えるよ うな赤毛を持ち、顔立ちはSFシリーズ・バビロン5のキャラクター(戦士であり外交官)に似ています。彼は 見た目はストイックで影を帯びたように見えますが、内面は名誉・美しさ・愛への情熱に燃えてい るのです」

I made your comment translated into Japanese!

Griffin
Apr 12, 2012, 07:42 AM
I'm guessing there is no particular format in sending an entry? Anything on specifics, Mike?

The one character thing doesn't bother me as it keeps me in check from spamming unnecessary alts.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 12, 2012, 12:24 PM
instead of "my character" it says "my letters" (as in typing characters ^^; ) lol
Hah, good ol' Google translate. It never (always) fails.
Babylon 5, yes? Eh what about it?! (is hardcore B5 fan)
Oh, my FOmar guy ended up looking rather like Jason Carter, a.k.a. Marcus the Ranger from Babylon 5 (though it was actually accidental). Observe:
[spoiler-box]http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/kyuuketsuki02/pso20120409_193008_002.jpg

Except for the red hair and eye color, it's a pretty good likeness I think.[/spoiler-box]

「私のキャラクターは、スコットランドの古代ハイランダーにインスパイアされたものです。それ故に燃えるよ うな赤毛を持ち、顔立ちはSFシリーズ・バビロン5のキャラクター(戦士であり外交官)に似ています。彼は 見た目はストイックで影を帯びたように見えますが、内面は名誉・美しさ・愛への情熱に燃えてい るのです」

I made your comment translated into Japanese!
Thank you!

Kazzi
Apr 12, 2012, 02:10 PM
Hate to be a bummer but the rules actually say you can't enter character that are based on or look similar to characters from existing media. You might want to remove the Babylon 5 reference before you submit it or you'll void your own entry.

Neo Flint
Apr 12, 2012, 03:31 PM
I might have missed something, but is their anything I should know about regarding non-Japanese entries? Also, which is more important, appearance or definition?

kyuuketsuki
Apr 12, 2012, 05:45 PM
Hate to be a bummer but the rules actually say you can't enter character that are based on or look similar to characters from existing media. You might want to remove the Babylon 5 reference before you submit it or you'll void your own entry.
-_- Damnit. Stupid rules in stupid Japanese. Ah well, too late now. Not like I would've won anyway... or if I had, that they'd have shipped a prize to the US.
I might have missed something, but is their anything I should know about regarding non-Japanese entries?
Nothing in the rules specifically forbid entries from outside Japan. However, it is assumed that, should you win and ask for the prize to be shipped out of country, your entry will likely be voided.
Also, which is more important, appearance or definition?
Not sure I understand the question. There's really no way to know what the SEGA staff who decides which entries will get voted on will be judging on.

Omega-z
Apr 12, 2012, 06:18 PM
kyuuketsuki - it's more of CopyRight's then Sega's fault. You don't want them to get sue'd?

you could have it mail to Mike ....(I believe he lives in JP I think or any one who does.)

The NCP Character is going to be a Supportive role not a main one ... A.K.A Bruce, or a space filler in a lobby.

Griffin
Apr 14, 2012, 06:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/sbczg.png

What do they mean by this on the Creation entry page?

Ryudo
Apr 14, 2012, 07:25 PM
I believe that's where they want you to upload the actual template for the character,it should be in my documents > sega > pso2

Griffin
Apr 14, 2012, 07:27 PM
Ooooh. Thanks, pal.

BIG OLAF
Apr 14, 2012, 07:29 PM
Yes, they want the ".fcp" (or whatever it is) file that has your character's actual data in it. So they can replicate it, etc.

Griffin
Apr 14, 2012, 07:31 PM
Makes sense to me.

If CB starts on the 19th, and contest ends on 20th, it might be a bit risky for me to wait until I can use the new outfits. Never know what might happen. I just hope the older outfits don't get overlooked.

Zaix
Apr 15, 2012, 06:39 PM
All the character files have a very simple name scheme.

.mhp =Male Human Player
.fhp =Female Human Player
.mcp = Male Cast Player
.fcp = Female Cast Player
.mnp = Male Newman Player
.fnp = Female Newman Player

Just give them one of the files when you submit.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 15, 2012, 07:47 PM
Makes sense to me.

If CB starts on the 19th, and contest ends on 20th, it might be a bit risky for me to wait until I can use the new outfits. Never know what might happen. I just hope the older outfits don't get overlooked.
You may not be able to save character creator data in the beta client, and I'm pretty certain they're not going to update the character creator with the new outfits/options (yet). So, if you're going to submit a character, you might as well do it now.

NoiseHERO
Apr 15, 2012, 08:16 PM
So they said there would be another announcement on the 16th right?

Did they...? No... Or did they... I dunno.

Assuming that'd be tonight? (Not that I'ma stay up for anything if it's not a media breifing, just askin'.)

goldwing
Apr 15, 2012, 09:47 PM
So i sent in my stuff for the contest and well one things bugging me.... I put my discription in english.... Will that be a prob? Anyone?

Aiex
Apr 15, 2012, 10:04 PM
The chances that the judges know English is not very good if that's what you're asking.

goldwing
Apr 15, 2012, 11:34 PM
I guessed as much... Dang

kyuuketsuki
Apr 16, 2012, 12:01 AM
Yeah that's why I went out of my way to have someone translate mine into Japanese (thanks again aslan_blue!).

goldwing
Apr 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
Didnt really think my plan out all the way :/ o well lesson learned

Griffin
Apr 16, 2012, 02:22 AM
I am still waiting on a kind soul to help me out with a translation.

Xenobia
Apr 16, 2012, 02:38 AM
To be honest, the only price im interested is a drawing. When the figurine isnt made by hand (from the art staff), its no value to me. They could have offered a visit to theyr studio for theyr first price or something else... The first price is the first price... after all. Nothing to fool around with.

Wayu
Apr 16, 2012, 04:24 AM
PRコメント...what does that mean?

-Wayu

onigawara
Apr 16, 2012, 04:36 AM
it means PR comment

Wayu
Apr 16, 2012, 04:38 AM
._.

Thanks, Captain Obvious, I'm a native Japanese speaker thank you very much. Now can someone tell me what it means and not its translation. >.>;

Like, what does PR stand for and whatnot?

-Wayu

onigawara
Apr 16, 2012, 04:49 AM
PR=Public Relation mr native :p

Wayu
Apr 16, 2012, 04:53 AM
Public relation comment.

Uh, right...so do I put stuff on there like I did for PSP2i/PSO's partner/guild cards?

-Wayu

onigawara
Apr 16, 2012, 04:54 AM
i guess so^-^

Wayu
Apr 16, 2012, 04:54 AM
Can someone give me something more concrete? ^^;

-Wayu

RocSage
Apr 16, 2012, 04:57 AM
Public relation comment.

Uh, right...so do I put stuff on there like I did for PSP2i/PSO's partner/guild cards?

-Wayu

What is the context of where you are seeing that? It may be, as I can see it as that in some context, but without context of any sort I would bet it is a comment that you want to tell the PR department which may or may not be relayed to the developers.

Wayu
Apr 16, 2012, 04:59 AM
^

I wrote up part of that, but was like WAAAAAAAAAAAAIT HOLD ON A SEC.

So I'm not sure anymore. I wanna maximize my chances, after all, so I wanna make sure I put in the right thing. ^^;

-Wayu

Mike
Apr 16, 2012, 05:08 AM
I'm a native Japanese speaker thank you very much.
You make me wonder sometimes :wacko:

Can someone give me something more concrete? ^^;

Try this:
http://www.pso2chara.jp/images/img_howto_flow_sample_01.jpg

Wayu
Apr 16, 2012, 05:16 AM
Oh hey there Mikumiku.

Yeesh. So we gotta write a bloody essay? D:

Don't wanna~~~

ーWayu

Omega-z
Apr 16, 2012, 08:40 AM
Wayu - It's there to Promote your design to the Development Team and to the Public for voting purposes, Hence the format of the example. So having one is a big deal and how you word it also since you could type it towards the R&D Team but not towards the Public would make it less likely to get votes.

Yeah, PR has many different Abv. in the Advertising Marketing World not just Public Relation, but it's meaning is the same.

Menochi
Apr 16, 2012, 09:42 AM
Uhh....A PR comment in the Japanese sense is a short statement about X to the relevant audience. In school, PR comments were made by student chairmen, made by governments, by cities, and so forth. In the case of this context, it is whatever statement you want to make to enamour people to choose your character over the others.

Explanation:
http://news.goo.ne.jp/article/bokunari/business/bokunari-20080521-01.html

Example:
http://www.saninnoturi.jp/link/link.html

Japanese tend to take concepts of words from other languages and use the concept as the sole definition. In this case it's as ingrained as アイスバーン in a normal Japanese's vocabulary.

RocSage
Apr 16, 2012, 10:15 AM
If I were actually participate I'd participate using one of the two concepts...

Twilight Knight
A legendary white HuCast Hunter said to have mysterious powers that Hunters say shows up when all hope seems to be lost and they are fighting an unbeatable corrupted beast.

or

Bob
A HuMar that despite being rather fat, dressed in the brightest of oranges, and using the most unconventional weapons has survived many years as a Hunter and tries to train new recruits despite them not taking him seriously.

I don't see much point in submitting though... also I'd feel bad if I did place on the top but not the NPC prize cuz those other prizes aren't of value to me.

As far as the 12 char slots, 1 starting slot thing. FFXI gives you 2, sorta. They give you 1 playable character slot and one banker/shopkeeper/slave slot. I think their model is dumb, but it works with a p2p model because it ends up letting the game cost a little less than other P2P models. I don't see you having to pay monthly for your character slots as the only game company that gets away with that is SquareSoft. Generally speaking though, cash shop stuff is basically if it is a "style" or "systemic" it applies across all characters, but if it is a consumable or something like that it generally only applies to one character.

Zaix
Apr 16, 2012, 01:23 PM
Anyone nice enough to translate this oddball comment of mine?

Meet (Unamed ATM). She is the embodiment of how I envision the color purple. She's calm and collected. She takes her missions seriously and doesn't put up with any interference.

Just leave a spot for the name, I'll fill it in later. Thanks in advance!