PDA

View Full Version : 3D Options

ARASHIKAGE
Apr 11, 2012, 10:03 PM
I'm not sure if this was already covered but, does PSO2 support 3D?

Really I'm just looking for an excuse to buy a 3D monitor lol

LK1721
Apr 11, 2012, 10:07 PM
If I remember right, someone found the settings for it while digging through the alpha files. There's no for sure on it, though, I don't think.

But seriously, playing this game in 3-d: "MY EYYEEEEESSSSSSS"

ARASHIKAGE
Apr 11, 2012, 10:09 PM
I hear some games get higher 3D ratings than others. For example Rift has a low 3D rating, while Batman Arkham City and Battlefield 3 have high 3D ratings.

LK1721
Apr 11, 2012, 10:11 PM
Oh, here's what I was thinking of. This was a while back, but it might answer what you want:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192075

I don't know much about 3-D settings on games, so I'm of no further help other than pointing you into the direction of the original discovery.

NoiseHERO
Apr 11, 2012, 10:12 PM
Lightsaber moshpits filled with locusts(Locust found in datamining, assuming it's the Phantasy Star 2 grass assassin Locusts = awesome) in 3D would either burn my eyes or give me a retinagasm.

ARASHIKAGE
Apr 11, 2012, 10:17 PM
Oh, here's what I was thinking of. This was a while back, but it might answer what you want:

http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=192075

I don't know much about 3-D settings on games, so I'm of no further help other than pointing you into the direction of the original discovery.

Thanks, yeah its been covered.

High cost= Low Interest

They have improved a lot though.

I was in Frys Electronics the other day and I just stared at the demo screen in amazement. A good 3D monitor looks absolutely gorgeous.

::this thread can be closed btw::

Edit: If someone knows PSO2's 3D rating that info would be appreciated.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 11, 2012, 11:04 PM
Edit: If someone knows PSO2's 3D rating that info would be appreciated.
How would a game that is just now barely in beta going to have a rating from some 3rd party that gives out "3D ratings"?

I believe someone attempted running the alpha2 in 3D, and it worked okay except for the predictable glitches of a game that isn't optimized for 3D (shadows don't look right, cursor and UI elements don't get any 3D effect, etc.).

Mag-X
Apr 11, 2012, 11:34 PM
The character creator is the worst thing I've ever experienced with 3D vision. I'll take a video and post it in a bit.

OK. Here's the video: http://youtu.be/9-YQmbpS024

The flickering is the texture maps found in the data mining thread flashing on the left eye for some reason.

On the part where they run through the city, it actually looks fine for the most part, but many things are still rendered incorrectly. The light that flashes around the characters when they beam in, the jet pack light from the casts feet, and smoke are all rendered at screen depth (meaning it all looks like it's about an inch from your nose).

Also, performance was horrible. It gets a score of 3,702, while I get a score of 18,470 without 3D vision.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 12, 2012, 01:13 AM
The texture maps showing up on the left eye is really odd. And yeah, the effects being rendered at screen depth is exactly what I'd expect from something not built with 3D in mind. The cursor and UI elements would also be rendered at screen depth, most likely.

r00tabaga
Apr 12, 2012, 07:04 AM
Hope its just a "early stage" thing cuz games done right in 3D are awesome. Games like Dynasty Warriors really immerse you when in 3D. Sports games...not so much.

Bishi
Apr 12, 2012, 08:09 AM
Well, im using 3D Vision and can say the game runs very well in 3D. Could even say it looks gorgeous... However, as some people suspected it does have some fundamental flaws. The usual issue of the cursor being 2D applies here and shadow effects are the same. Im sure there will be options to turn off shadowing though and if you decide to play with a controller instead of mouse and board the cursor issue will be resolved. There are also some issues with smoke/dust effects.
To my surprise, effects such as the players/enemies warping in and the Casts boosters during the benchmark do infact render correctly. Although im not sure if this means all spell effects will render correctly? Everything else looks to be great. The character creation was particularly fun in 3D!

Hahah kinda made a wall of text there sorry. Hope this is useful to someone. :)

Mag-X
Apr 12, 2012, 09:28 AM
Really? Perhaps I'll try updating my drivers.

r00tabaga
Apr 12, 2012, 09:43 AM
Q: Do I need a special 3D graphics card to do 3D on a PC or is it all software? I have a 3DTV but no PC as of yet and need to know. Thx-

Bishi
Apr 12, 2012, 09:59 AM
Nothing special really. I think that any Nvidia 400series or up has 3D vision available, make sure you double check thought ofc :). You may need to buy different 3d Glasses and an IR emitter aswel. But remember that 3D will roughly halve your FPS so make sure you get hardware that can run 3D at a decent FPS. I personally run a single 580 and it is overkill so bare that in mind.
I also use a 3D Monitor, not a 3DTV so be sure to research its compatibility and such. Im a total noob at 3DTV's

Mag-X
Apr 12, 2012, 10:28 AM
Any Nvidia card 8800GT and up can do it (with the exception of low end and integrated cards). You'll also need the Nvidia 3D vision kit which includes the 3D glasses and IR senor. That'll run you about $200.

3D vision double the work on the video card, so you'll want a decent one.

r00tabaga
Apr 12, 2012, 10:41 AM
Wait, so I CANT use my 3DTV and glasses!??? This can't be true. I have to have nVidia glasses and 3D monitor? Lamesauce. Anyone else know?

Bishi
Apr 12, 2012, 10:54 AM
No no, you can use your current 3DTV most likely. However you will need to buy 3D Vision Glasses with IR Emitter. Which is around $200 like Mag said.

Mag-X
Apr 12, 2012, 10:58 AM
Yeah. There's nothing special about my TV. It's a really early 120Hz DLP with an IR-sensor port on the back (looks like a PS/2 keyboard port).

r00tabaga
Apr 12, 2012, 11:00 AM
I already have a Sony 3D tv with built in emitter and 3D glasses...why would I need to buy inVidia glasses? My PS3 and 360 didnt require this. Confused. I am.

Mag-X
Apr 12, 2012, 11:25 AM
It might work. If you have an Nvidia card you can try it out. It installs the 3D vision driver along with the graphics driver. Go into the Nvidia control panel and you should have an option along the side for 3D Vision. Check the box to enable it, and it'll start the set-up wizard.

r00tabaga
Apr 12, 2012, 12:19 PM
I better google this.

Xenobia
Apr 12, 2012, 12:43 PM
AMD Radeon can use 3D too although it does need a powerful card. 6950 and up is sufficient for. Same counts for Nvidia, it does take so much power that it only should be used on newest mid range or even highend cards. Nvidia got better 3D support however, but AMD Radeon surely will improve.

ARASHIKAGE
Apr 12, 2012, 04:47 PM
Wait, so I CANT use my 3DTV and glasses!??? This can't be true. I have to have nVidia glasses and 3D monitor? Lamesauce. Anyone else know?

There are many different types of 3D, as my understanding is nvidia's 3D glasses are red and blue and each lens simply blocks out one of the two images being displayed. Because of this you could have two nvidia graphics cards, each one dedicated to one image (or one eye). Pretty cool

Active Shutter is an Infra-Red signal from a 3D-ready projector or TV switches on/off tiny LCD screens in the glasses. Flickering 120 times per second, the human eye doesn’t register the flickering but instead only sees one view. And those glasses cost more...

Gama
Apr 12, 2012, 04:50 PM
theres also polarised screens but you know how much those would cost....

Xenobia
Apr 12, 2012, 05:00 PM
Thats not exactly true that we cant register it. The eye itself indeed is able to, but the brain can only procress so and so many frames. Which is usualy not more than 60 a second. So it can switch the frames between the eyes, finally 60 frames will be arriving each eye. However, some people can get headache over time in term the brain got issues procressing it. The eyes generally have a high strain because they can indeed notice flickering, but we wont notice unless we got a super brain who can procress even faster. It usualy wont hurt the brain but we simply wont see perfect picture.

Generally, as soon as there is headache, never ever continue. Thats a warning and means to give it some rest... i knew someone who played WoW and all of a sudden he got headache and it didnt go away anymore. That person is nowadays unable to work... and life pretty much destroyed.. its a eternal pain. Just important never to put an overdrive and always being sensitive with the body, in term he cant take more of it, its simply how it is... time for rest. Then it surely always will be safe to use.

In order to give eyes and/or brain some rest i would make a break every few hours when using 3D and play on 2D for some time.

Mag-X
Apr 12, 2012, 05:10 PM
There are many different types of 3D, as my understanding is nvidia's 3D glasses are red and blue and each lens simply blocks out one of the two images being displayed. Because of this you could have two nvidia graphics cards, each one dedicated to one image (or one eye). Pretty cool

Active Shutter is an Infra-Red signal from a 3D-ready projector or TV switches on/off tiny LCD screens in the glasses. Flickering 120 times per second, the human eye doesn’t register the flickering but instead only sees one view. And those glasses cost more...

Nvidia 3D Vision glasses are shutter glasses. They use a 120Hz screen shot alternate the image back and forth to show a 60Hz image to each eye.

It'll also work with red-blue glasses. This is called 3D Vision Discover. It sucks and is really just meant as a demo.

I don't see why 3D Vision shouldn't work with polarized screens and glasses, but I don't have that kind of TV.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 12, 2012, 05:53 PM
theres also polarised screens but you know how much those would cost....
LG already sells TVs that do passive 3D via polarization, and they don't cost any more than other TVs. They use a thin film polarizer, rather than glass, which cuts down the cost significantly. And the polarized glasses are much cheaper than shutter glasses (not to mention lighter, more comfortable, and don't have a battery to keep charged).