PDA

View Full Version : The Returners

RocSage
Apr 14, 2012, 06:53 AM
I wonder how many people are stumbling across the new of PSO2 and returning to the Phantasy World after a protracted length of time being away.

I noticed at least one name that has come back and it seems there are others that are going to come back as well. So I say let's ask what we're looking forward to and what we missed while we were gone.

I for one, after playing a number of Triple A MMOs that advertised action based gameplay looked forward to them and kept on being disappointed and since it has been so long I forgot about just how good the controls of PSU and PSO are (though broke in some ways), but then I got the urge to play PSU, found it had been shut down and PSO2 was coming out and I suddenly remembered how much fun and actiony PSU and PSO are/were and now I can't wait to play again. I also think that it's shameful how terrible those other games are but that's another story.

So I'm looking forward to actually adventuring and doing battle with the evils of Ragol once more, but I'm also disappointed that customization options don't seem to be coming over from PSU. That provided a bunch of fun for some of us to be able to mix and match clothing styles!

So all you returner people what are your thoughts and fears about and welcome back... though I'm welcoming myself back to which is odd >.>

P.S. As someone will probably look and wonder why someone with a new account is calling themselves a returning person. Welllll. It's cuz i am. The names have been changed to protect the innocent! so :P but considering a good majority of people have accounts registered after my last post most of you don't know me anyhow! And don't try to go off topic on this issue or else Santa Clause will beat you with a Rappy.

Forster
Apr 14, 2012, 09:54 AM
I have been following the PSO series since it was released way back in 2000. So I was never away from the games themselves. Have imported Japanese copies for the Dreamcast and such.

Had an account with PSOW way back then too, but the account got deleted when they did a forum wipe of inactive users or something like that. It's been to long for the exact reason. I re-registered shortly after that again (I usually just lurk).

I remember when the community was anticipating whatever Mamak-int found on PSO Ep 1&2 from Japan and then the beta. Then came FFXI everyone was talking about on PSO (the next big thing).

As for PSU it was hotly anticipated by everyone, including me. When it was released it just felt... I don't know, soulless? I didn't play it for very long, all the locked content Sega did and Japan several months ahead of us in updates. Felt like I was forcing myself to like it at one point, having tried it a second time after the expansion hit. Having to move to lobby to lobby to play the game. The chance crafting instead of rares just dropping. The art style, controls and animations (outside the PA). Got fed up and quit, hoping someday PSO would be revived. I made it to around level 145 in PSU.

For my fears of PSO2, I hope it is not more PSU than PSO. I can go back and easily be entertained with PSO, but PSU I just can't. Thankfully PSO2 is looking to take the best of both games and combine them, with leaning towards PSO. MAGs returning certainly helps, along with PSO clothing style (Hated PSUs clothes, looked like civilians).

Most important to me, the dynamic music is returning (last time I read it was). Running into a group of enemies in PSO, the music shifts from calm to an action sequence always got me pumped for battle. PSU it just looped if I remember right, made the game feel more dull to me.

It's great to be back in the next chapter of PSO!

JamesM
Apr 14, 2012, 10:51 AM
I've always played PSO on my GC with my friends.
But as years passed, we stoped playing games together, so I had to stick with PSO BB...
About PSU, I played it just halfway of the first one and AOI. Never played online, though.
So, as Fujiko said, hoping the new PSO, to be a NEW PSO, and not PSU.

White
Apr 14, 2012, 10:53 AM
I was introduced to PSO through one of my friends in grade school, we would play episodes 1 & 2 on the gamecube, eventually i bought the game and then I heard about blue burst (albeit too late because I literally found out about it the day before registration closed). So I did some searching and found PSU, signed up online for that and played until the western PC servers shut down (total bust). Since then I have been getting by on PSP and PSP2, but I miss my friends. :(

Fortunately it looks like PSO2 will be great! A lot of former problems were addressed and it doesn't look like forces suck as bad as they did when I played them. Lets just hope it stays that way, they are my favorite class and I dont want them to be screwed.

Totori
Apr 14, 2012, 10:54 AM
I have always been following the PS series and have been playing since 2001. My first PSO game was Version 2 for the DC.

ClothoBuer
Apr 14, 2012, 11:12 AM
A friend introduced me to the GC version back in summer of '02, when the Eastern Seaboard had the massive power loss (for those of you who were involved, only you can understand just what kind of hell that was), and I've been playing Phantasy Star in some form ever since. With the exception of Blue Burst, I've played or tried every Phantasy Star released stateside since then, even importing a couple, but so far none of them have had that charm that PSO had, and I'm praying that PSO 2 can hook me like its predecessor did.

TalezMB
Apr 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
Went through PAL V1 to JP V2 and then to Blue Burst for a bit. I played PSU on the PC but it felt so unfamiliar. Have both PSU and AOU on my PS2 back home.

I'm tempted to buy the Xbox 360 version and grab the expansion because it's only $20 and the expansion is apparently free.

Randomness
Apr 14, 2012, 11:36 AM
Came across Ep I+II for GC way back when, played the hell out of offline with brother. Eventually played BB for a while, then PSU a ways into AotI.

Never really stopped visiting these forums though for the off-topic sections.

FenixStryk
Apr 14, 2012, 12:05 PM
I fondly remember picking the game up on the Dreamcast, pulling all-nighters and occasionally waking up to find keyboard imprints on my face. Outside of Battle.net, PSO was probably the turning point that got me into online gaming in my late adolescence.

It's eerie how much has changed since I was last here five years ago...

Kazzi
Apr 14, 2012, 12:09 PM
I played the Epi I&II on the GC as my first experience with Phantasy Star. I played it online with the keyboard controller (which looked stupid but it was pretty awesome, I still have it somewhere). I pretty much lived on it until the servers went down, so I moved over the BB and then left after a few months. I've been on this forum for years but mostly as a lurker.

kabutozero
Apr 14, 2012, 12:39 PM
I found pso 1 by accident surfing the web when I Was still green at mmos ( I played maybe only ragnarok online) , and I played a private server , I found it was a cool game but a hacker gave me so much equipment ( and I was newb so I accepted it) t hat I left the server

Then pso zero got released on the ds and I played it a LOT on japanese and on wifi , it was really cool , the best online game I played on the ds , and now I found this too by browsing some news :P , so i'm going to try it

kyuuketsuki
Apr 14, 2012, 01:30 PM
I've been playing PSO since the Dreamcast days (when I had to go to my friend's house and get on his dial-up). Played many iterations since then, the last one being the Xbox version (was cool because it had offline split-screen and could play with my friends in the same room).

I had an earlier PSO-W account, and returned to this site once news of PSO2 came up and have been pretty much a regular here since.

Ioriya
Apr 14, 2012, 01:37 PM
I played Phantasy Star III GoD when i was 10 came back 10+ years later.

hue...

Mag-X
Apr 14, 2012, 01:47 PM
I played PSO v1 and v2 on Dreamcast. I never had an Xbox or Gamecube. I've been playing PSO:BB on and off. Played on the Sega servers and then on private servers. I also Played PSU and the PSP games.

Zeota
Apr 14, 2012, 02:00 PM
I played every iteration of PSO (apart from Xbox) and imported the Japanese version of PSU when it first came out. I'll admit I facepalmed when I saw PSO2 announced in 2010 but they seem to be pressing the right buttons this time around.

LK1721
Apr 14, 2012, 02:28 PM
My dad has been playing since V1 on the Dreamcast, and I generally watched him play the game until Blue Burst came out, when I started playing myself along with my mom here and there. Even now I still hop on the GC version to play some missions on private servers, or play co-op with the family.

After that, we played PSU (I quit a few years ago, but he's still playing). I asked for a PSP for Christmas one year SPECIFICALLY to play the PS series and still play PSP2 when I have some spare time and want some gaming.

Finally picked up PSO: EP III a few months ago for 10 bucks at a local gaming store and am actually quite fond of that game too.

Kind of funny when I think about HOW MUCH of my childhood this game has been, considering I started Blue Burst when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade.

kyuuketsuki
Apr 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
Kind of funny when I think about HOW MUCH of my childhood this game has been, considering I started Blue Burst when I was in 2nd or 3rd grade.
D= Young'un! I was in junior high when v1 on the Dreamcast came out.

Dark Emerald EXE
Apr 14, 2012, 02:40 PM
I stopped playing PSU in 2009 but I have still continued to follow what goes on in the Phantasy Star series...

Ryo
Apr 14, 2012, 02:45 PM
I wonder if this person referred to by the OP was me?

Anyway, I've been playing Phantasy Star since the '80s. I got the original Phantasy Star in '88, at the ripe old age of six. Since then I've played just about every Phantasy Star game.

I imported and played the original PSO for DC, and stayed mainly on JP servers from then on. I dabbled in PSU, imported it on PC then later got the US Xbox 360 version.

I imported PS Zero and enjoyed the heck out of that as well. I lost touch with the forums here and made a failed bid to get this account back in 2006, but the mods now are much more accommodating and willing to go the extra mile to help me out :)

Anyway, with PSO2 coming out, I'm trying hard to get into beta (still not in yet, but hopeful!) and am hoping to see many of my former PSOW and MAMAK colleagues come back to the community.

Shaider
Apr 14, 2012, 03:09 PM
I got hooked on PSO on the Gamecube when I was in highschool and played on and off for several years on BB and PSU. I'm pretty amazed that I got into the PSO2 beta and I'm looking forward to playing again. I used to spend hours on this site looking at guides but I never really used the forum. Hope I get a chance to play with some of you in the beta!

RocSage
Apr 14, 2012, 04:03 PM
I wonder if this person referred to by the OP was me?

Nyah. I was referring to Rizen, and AC9Breaker, and February, and ShadowDragon## who all seem to have disappeared according to some of their messages on their profiles. Who if I remember right I used to play/chat with every so often.

I don't think we ever played or chatted together Ryo as if I remember right we always played on opposite platforms, but I have a hint of a memory of you over a number of other people so you must have been more active than not in the same sub-forums.

I'm finding it fun that since I haven't thought of Phantasy Star in 5 years I don't remember all the terms right off hand and so it's interesting to observe myself remember the various terms that are unique to PS like Zonde, Ryuker, Resta, Foie, and things like that ^.^

Ryudo
Apr 14, 2012, 07:18 PM
I've seen a few faces who've been around since PSO v1 on dreamcast like me, it's pretty cool. I should boot up my DC at some point and check my old friends list, see who's still around

Konola
Apr 14, 2012, 07:21 PM
I've seen a few faces who've been around since PSO v1 on dreamcast like me, it's pretty cool. I should boot up my DC at some point and check my old friends list, see who's still around

I have a DC! sadly I do not have the broadband adapter. And ebay is out :[

Reia
Apr 14, 2012, 08:07 PM
I don't wanna post a wall of text. But I find myself very similar to Johnny Millenium about my Phantasy Star Experience, once I decided to leave the series be, now I got the PSO2 News and I'm coming for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKy-VHNbhms

SpishackCola
Apr 14, 2012, 09:00 PM
Well, I'm back after a hiatus once I was done with PSU. Been around the forums off and on since PSOGC, but did get some play time in with PSO v1/2 on my friend's DC back in the day.

Seeing how actiony PSO2 is gonna be got me real excited, as what PSO2 *should* turn out to be is what I was hoping PSU was going to be when it was first announced. In any event, I've been looking for a new dungeon crawler. Even though D3 and TL2 will be out at some point each this year, I will definitely make time for a controller-based dungeon crawler like PSO2.

Nuclearranger
Apr 14, 2012, 09:16 PM
I have been around, never really left. Maybe had a few less posts recently due to PSU getting shut down but I have been on PSOBB on occasion.

LK1721
Apr 15, 2012, 12:46 AM
D= Young'un! I was in junior high when v1 on the Dreamcast came out.
Yeaaaah, I wasn't even in elementary school yet when V1 came out. Hahaha.

Spellbinder
Apr 15, 2012, 01:14 AM
I still remember when I first came across Phantasy Star Online. I'd recently bought a Dreamcast and was at the local game store looking for something to buy. Truth be told I've never played the previous Phantasy Star games, and looking at the cover and pictures on the back I thought "ooo magic, that looks fun." Boy would that be the understatement of my life.

I can confidently say there's a good chance I wouldn't be living here in Japan right now if I'd never picked up that copy of Phantasy Star Online.

SELENNA
Apr 15, 2012, 02:41 AM
Seeing all you guys with accounts from 200x is pretty sick.

RocSage
Apr 15, 2012, 02:54 AM

Are you going to need a bucket?

Ryo
Apr 15, 2012, 03:01 AM

Yeah, it's like a renaissance for this community!

PrinceBrightstar
Apr 15, 2012, 03:18 AM
I've been playing for a very long time since near the beginning of the series during the Algol saga and have experienced the major games in the series. (I'm pretty much only missing the Phantasy Star 2 text games and the PS2 remakes) I've been importing since V2 on the Dreamcast however for PSU I decided to go to the english servers. I saw those coming down about a year before they did, however I didn't stop playing the storylines. I picked up PS0, PSP, PSP2, and PSP2i and thus far have already participated in Alpha2. During my time on Alpha2 I found that as a Ranger I much prefered manual aiming and I'm probably going to continue that using my...unusual setup of a controller in my left hand and a mouse in my right.

Zeota
Apr 15, 2012, 10:12 AM
I don't wanna post a wall of text. But I find myself very similar to Johnny Millenium about my Phantasy Star Experience, once I decided to leave the series be, now I got the PSO2 News and I'm coming for it!

PHANTASY STAR SERIES REVIEW PART 1 (HD) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKy-VHNbhms)

In part 2, the guy talks about the GC keyboard/controller. I still have mine buried in a box somewhere. I think I paid around $150 for that thing when it first came out. The small keys felt odd with my big hands, but it wasn't hard to get used to after a while. There was just no way in hell was I playing without a keyboard. I even hung around the guy that made those keyboard adapters. His name in-game was Layrinn I believe. Good times!

TelleT
Apr 15, 2012, 10:44 AM
I also got my old PSOW account deleted because of inactivity.

Been playing PSO since EU release on the Dreamcast (High bills!), my first character was a RAcast named "Robin" with Redria as ID, got it to around level 8X and got hacked into a montague.. I usually got "TelleT" as my main character name later.

Played PSO GC also but didn't have BB at that time so I just played offline mode with my older brother and friends. Played it online at a friends house on the xbox sometimes back then.

I also played blue burst alot on the retail servers, when they died I took a long break from the game and returned to the biggest private one (you know which).

Didn't play PSU as much since I didn't find it as fun as PSO, still playable for awhile, but I was quickly back to PSO after my PSU time.

These are my character names of the time.

TelleT - (Alot of characters)
TelleTswe - RAcast - Yellowboze - Blue Burst
Robin - RAcast - Redria - Dreamcast
Shizuko - Don't quite remember.
HellRaiser - HUcast - Viridia - Blue Burst

Videos I made over the time:

Hahariz Hits Level 200!

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmmopIeLRpc&list=UUHU9jhVRvjjKftDua0Mk83w&index=32&feature=plcp

Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxGEKg7IL2Y&list=UUHU9jhVRvjjKftDua0Mk83w&index=31&feature=plcp

J00H4x Hits Level 200!
(Youtube removed the epic music from this video...:argh:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yRqLmoh-Vw&list=UUHU9jhVRvjjKftDua0Mk83w&index=33&feature=plcp

And got alot of videos when I play PSO DC on later days ^^

Looking forward to meet new and old friends from the PSO-series in PSO2 :)

Zeota
Apr 15, 2012, 11:01 AM
Ding 200 off Griffon? OK I guess, but way more climactic when you do so on one of the final bosses. I remember getting mine from Olga Flow back in the GC days. Going down that last corridor to the boss portal just had this unmatched feeling of "finality" especially if it was the last chunk of EXP you needed for that last level. Beating the boss, seeing the "you are the hero" screen and then seeing "LEVEL UP" over your character's head for the very last time just made it all the more awesome.

SpishackCola
Apr 15, 2012, 09:46 PM
In part 2, the guy talks about the GC keyboard/controller. I still have mine buried in a box somewhere. I think I paid around $150 for that thing when it first came out. The small keys felt odd with my big hands, but it wasn't hard to get used to after a while. There was just no way in hell was I playing without a keyboard. I even hung around the guy that made those keyboard adapters. His name in-game was Layrinn I believe. Good times!
Oh man, that GC keyboard controller is one of the only the few things I've imported video game wise. Still in a box of old accessories I have in my closet. Good times with that thing (even though it did take awhile getting used to with HUGE hands.)

Forster
Apr 15, 2012, 11:19 PM
I remember someone custom made a USB to GCN cable, then sold them on ebay. You had to build it yourself, I screwed mine up and fried it. So I then just imported the keyboard/controller, then eventually that madcatz keyboard was released and bought that.

Funny enough my forum account from 2001 is still under the members list, I just cant remember the password or email I used :(

Ryo
Apr 16, 2012, 03:07 AM
I remember someone custom made a USB to GCN cable, then sold them on ebay. You had to build it yourself, I screwed mine up and fried it. So I then just imported the keyboard/controller, then eventually that madcatz keyboard was released and bought that.

Funny enough my forum account from 2001 is still under the members list, I just cant remember the password or email I used :(

The mods can help you get your 2001 account back! They did for me! (Now if only I could get into the stinkin' beta.)

Zeota
Apr 16, 2012, 08:18 AM

Yup that was Layrinn (the name of his HUnewearl) on PSOGC. He made it alongside a friend of his, whom I don't think played the game at the time. Not surprisingly, they were both electrical engineering students. Great way to get hands-on experience while doing what one loves.

DarkShadowX
Apr 16, 2012, 08:41 AM
Been playing PSO since it released on Dreamcast and have been following this game since. Played every Phantasy Star game except for Zero (no DS) and really looking forward to this game. Kinda hoping for a PS3 release though I highly doubt it at this point with the game so close to release. Hopefully my PC can handle it, gonna start the benchmark soon to see!

Blazed X Latte
Apr 16, 2012, 02:45 PM
Im genuinely surprised my details are still on the servers, i haven't logged in since 08 after making some trade posts. Good to be back for PSO2 CBT.
Might have seen me as Blaze, a beast on the 360 xbox servers.

Metsume
Apr 16, 2012, 09:04 PM

PHANTASY STAR SERIES REVIEW PART 1 (HD) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKy-VHNbhms)
I freaking love Johnny Millenium. He is my hero. lol

Such a down-to-earth guy. You really won't meet a nicer gamer.

I have a DC! sadly I do not have the broadband adapter. And ebay is out :[
I really wanted to play PSO on my Dreamcast with a broadband adapter, not too long ago. But, I was unfortunately turned off by how expensive they were. :/

I'd love to get my hands on one someday.

Konola
Apr 16, 2012, 09:12 PM
I really wanted to play PSO on my Dreamcast with a broadband adapter, but was unfortunately turned off by how expensive they were. :/

I'd love to get my hands on one someday.

You will have to pry it form my cold, dead, slightly moist, and soft to the touch [hands]

Metsume
Apr 16, 2012, 09:56 PM
You will have to pry it form my cold, dead, slightly moist, and soft to the touch [hands]
LOL!

Better than paying $80 + Shipping!

Actually, it totally slipped my mind that I bought Phantasy Star Online Episode III a few days ago. I've never played it before, but I feel like I can really get into that game after the first hour I put into it.

Bought Phantasy Star II on my phone, as well... hahah I love that game.

Konola
Apr 16, 2012, 10:02 PM
LOL!

Better than paying $80 + Shipping!

Actually, it totally slipped my mind that I bought Phantasy Star Online Episode III a few days ago. I've never played it before, but I feel like I can really get into that game after the first hour I put into it.

Bought Phantasy Star II on my phone, as well... hahah I love that game.

$80? Where did you find it that low?! I have Ep. III, and the guide to it, and the poster, and the commemorative shot glass, and the complementary drugs!

Metsume
Apr 16, 2012, 10:14 PM
$80? Where did you find it that low?! I have Ep. III, and the guide to it, and the poster, and the commemorative shot glass, and the complementary drugs!
Can't remember... It honestly might not have been Buy It Now and one that was taking bids. I just knew it was expensive.

I did find the Nintendo Power poster for Ep III about a week ago. I like having random PS swag. :)

Konola
Apr 16, 2012, 10:16 PM
Can't remember... It honestly might not have been Buy It Now and one that was taking bids. I just knew it was expensive.

I did find the Nintendo Power poster for Ep III about a week ago. I like having random PS swag. :)

That goes up to the 100s yo!

And the drugs, do not forget the drugs!

Metsume
Apr 16, 2012, 10:52 PM
That goes up to the 100s yo!

And the drugs, do not forget the drugs!
I remember seeing Japanese juice cans that had one of each PSO class on them. I've always wanted those little gashapons they came out with long ago. I ended up getting a few about a month ago... ^^;

I couldn't help it. PSO2 has had me going back and revisiting old PS games. I nearly bought PS IV at a local retro store to replay it.

NoiseHERO
Apr 16, 2012, 11:09 PM
PSP2 is almost 80 bucks on amazon ;o;

LK1721
Apr 16, 2012, 11:14 PM
PSP2 is almost 80 bucks on amazon ;o;
Holy....That is freaking INSANE. Then again...PSO Episodes I & II are like...50 bucks used, 200+ for brand new.

I feel weird how collectible this game has gotten. *stares at well played copies on shelf*

Merumeru
Apr 16, 2012, 11:19 PM
I have a long-ass history with PSO, haven't played the single-player games (shame on me), but the online ones were a great break from what I was used to in terms of MMOs (point and click, zzzz XP)

So yeah, totally returned XD Even with all these new action MMOs out, playing PSO and PSU just feels so comfortable X3 and PSO2 seems like it'll be another game I'll pump a few thousand hours into XD I don't watch much gameplay videos for games that aren't available to me yet, (I don't like being gameplay spoiled and I also have zero patience if its too awesome XD) but what I have seen is definitely up my alley X3 I only worry that I may fall into the trap I do with most non-english games, which is get bored without the community aspect </3 but only time will tell

Metsume
Apr 16, 2012, 11:21 PM
What's crazy is, I found a case-less, manual-less copy of PSO Episodes I&II for $2.50 at the same retro store I got PSO Episode III from. That was a few months back. I did notice that the complete copies of the game are definitely going for around $50, so does the game having the case and manual really up its value that much?

Also, $80 for PSP2? That's ridiculously insane. I thought it was still around $30$40 at GameStop? I guess if you can find it. I'm not sure how uncommon it is to find there...

I have a long-ass history with PSO, haven't played the single-player games (shame on me), but the online ones were a great break from what I was used to in terms of MMOs (point and click, zzzz XP)

So yeah, totally returned XD Even with all these new action MMOs out, playing PSO and PSU just feels so comfortable X3 and PSO2 seems like it'll be another game I'll pump a few thousand hours into XD I don't watch much gameplay videos for games that aren't available to me yet, (I don't like being gameplay spoiled and I also have zero patience if its too awesome XD) but what I have seen is definitely up my alley X3 I only worry that I may fall into the trap I do with most non-english games, which is get bored without the community aspect </3 but only time will tell
Yes, I've actually been staying away from most gameplay videos of PSO2, just so I can get a fresh experience when I do actually get to play it.

And believe it or not, PSU was the first Phantasy Star game I played (I don't count Gaiden because I didn't even know what I was playing at the time lol), which turned me to play the very first, followed by the second and fourth. I absolutely LOVED them. I completely respected the Phantasy Star series after that, realizing just how ahead of its time each one was.

Tonkatsu
Apr 18, 2012, 01:10 AM
I have been following the PSO series since it was released way back in 2000. So I was never away from the games themselves. Have imported Japanese copies for the Dreamcast and such.

Had an account with PSOW way back then too, but the account got deleted when they did a forum wipe of inactive users or something like that. It's been to long for the exact reason. I re-registered shortly after that again (I usually just lurk).

I remember when the community was anticipating whatever Mamak-int found on PSO Ep 1&2 from Japan and then the beta. Then came FFXI everyone was talking about on PSO (the next big thing).

As for PSU it was hotly anticipated by everyone, including me. When it was released it just felt... I don't know, soulless? I didn't play it for very long, all the locked content Sega did and Japan several months ahead of us in updates. Felt like I was forcing myself to like it at one point, having tried it a second time after the expansion hit. Having to move to lobby to lobby to play the game. The chance crafting instead of rares just dropping. The art style, controls and animations (outside the PA). Got fed up and quit, hoping someday PSO would be revived. I made it to around level 145 in PSU.

For my fears of PSO2, I hope it is not more PSU than PSO. I can go back and easily be entertained with PSO, but PSU I just can't. Thankfully PSO2 is looking to take the best of both games and combine them, with leaning towards PSO. MAGs returning certainly helps, along with PSO clothing style (Hated PSUs clothes, looked like civilians).

Most important to me, the dynamic music is returning (last time I read it was). Running into a group of enemies in PSO, the music shifts from calm to an action sequence always got me pumped for battle. PSU it just looped if I remember right, made the game feel more dull to me.

It's great to be back in the next chapter of PSO!

I agree. I hope it captures the feeling i had gaming for 24-48 hours straight hogging my mom's 56k line for days. I loved pso, pso2, and blue burst then psu happened. I bought it and gave it two weeks of what i would consider the old college try and it still was not engaging enough. The music was a big piece missing for me especially and the gameplay indeed lacked "soul".

With that said i can't wait for MAGs andvthe classic combo system with more accessibility on your keyboard for items/techs. I'm stoked because it looks like they really did get the classic pso vibe right for this one. Can't wait to see new weapons/techs against new endmies in new places! Fresh start!

Ithildin
Apr 18, 2012, 11:20 AM
Ep1 on DC. Didn't get online till I got Ep1&2 for GC tho...

Dark1422
Apr 18, 2012, 11:26 AM
We had two phone lines in my house which was convenient because both me and my brother loved playing PSO1 on DC. However my game broke or someone broke it... i think a friend of mine did it, but i never found out. Anywho both of us got V2 however my mother wouldn't let me play it online.

Love the series and while PSU wasn't amazingly good in my opinion i managed to play it for a few months online. I fell asleep a lot offline though.... idk it was just a boring experience. Owned it on both PS2 and then Xbox

Fujiko
Apr 18, 2012, 09:30 PM
Awesome, I got my original 2001 account back! Thanks admins!

I used to use the work around with the dreamcast dialing into the PC, and using the PC as the ISP for the dreamcast. I was fortunate enough to have @home way back in the day.

The setup for it was pretty complicated if I remember right, with clicking accept on the PC at just the right moment for the Dreamcast to connect to the internet. Then configuring some routing program.

Thankfully I picked up a broad band adapter for the GCN, didn't want a repeat of that a few years later.

sdDare
Apr 18, 2012, 10:29 PM
I started with Episode I&II on the cube then moved onto Blue Burst a few years later. I tried the PSU beta on 360 and hated it. I still play Blue Burst off and on and I have 2 level 200s(FOmar and RAcast) and a level 192 HUmar.

AX-818
Apr 18, 2012, 10:50 PM
I first got into PSO when my older brother was playing it on the Dreamcast. I thought the game was awesome, but he never let me play because I was too young lol. When I got my Gamecube, I found out PSO came out for it so it was an instant buy. I played that for endless amounts of hours even without online play and sometimes by myself while my friends weren't over. When I heard about PSU, that was another instant buy. I bought the online thing for the ps2 and played on that for a little bit when the game first game out. I got tired of it quickly, but a friend got me back into it a few years later on the 360. I spent more endless amount of hours on that and got to the max level of 120 at the time. Got bored because I didn't have much friends and quit. Looking forward to PSO2 and hoping that won't happen again lol.

Sagasu
Apr 18, 2012, 11:06 PM
*cough*

Well uh, yeah, looks to be a fair number of us. : ]

DeltaSonic
Apr 18, 2012, 11:25 PM
I got into PSO about 6 years ago when I asked my friend for an MMO I might enjoy. He suggested Blue Burst and I almost instantly fell in love with it. At that point I used PSOW for item and drop tables and never thought about posting. Played it for about a year until Sega cut the servers D: I didn't play PSU for long mostly because didn't go into the game with any friends (plus it was on the Xbox) so I got bored quickly. I wound up finding other ways for me and my friends to continue to play BB. I didn't really look at PSOW again until PSO2 was announced.

pso2love
Apr 18, 2012, 11:41 PM
Ok, so I'm no longer misleading anyone, I am actually djecliptik. I started my only character back on PSO v1 on the Dreamcast on January 29 2001 named NeoGoku. I met a friend, character's name was Lion, he was a big green RaCast. I had the privilege of seeing him develop a relationship in-game with a female FoCaseal (forget what her name was)... eventually like a year after I stopped playing PSO (just right after they shut down the V1 server) I found out the couple got married IRL. Met friends along the way, and I managed to find one of them on facebook this year! All I had to do was mention PSO2, and she was like "Oh HELL YEAHS!" well, now that I'm married, Dec 2009, my wife didn't THINK she liked the way PSO2 looked at first.... then Character Creator Demo came out, and for the next 3 days, she would almost be glued to it! LOL XD
Makes me happy that I can re-live those great PSO moments into a TRUE new sequel, with my wife! ^^ And Lion, if you're out there, hope that you are doing well, friend.

Drunken Dragon
Apr 19, 2012, 03:14 AM
Forum lurker by definition here :P Dont post much but this site has basically been on my daily browse list for like forever.....

Got into PSO on the GC release, and have no idea how many hours Ive clocked in online on this... Every time I do an all time favourite game list this always end up high....

Didnt play much around the launch of PSU so never really got into that.... Have all handheld games tho, and find them surpricingly good, especially PSP 2....

Still on the fence about this game tho... Mostly cause Im finding it hard to believe they can recreate the "PSO feeling" that I had during prime time PSO... Secondly, although Ive always had PC's for some reason Im a console gamer by heart...

So now Im just gonna continue to lurk and see how this plays out... But as it stands now Im probably gonna grab a PSV and get the game for that platform...